PDA

View Full Version : Dumervil on defense: We’re going to be nasty

montrose
03-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Dumervil on defense: We’re going to be nasty
by Lindsay Jones

DOVE VALLEY — Broncos defensive end (or outside linebacker, depending on how coaches choose to use him in a 3-4 scheme) met with reporters after the team’s voluntary conditioning workout Tuesday morning.

Dumervil adeptly sidestepped questions about Jay Cutler — who is another member of the 2006 draft class — but made a bold prediction about the team’s revamped defense.

“We’re going to be nasty. You give us a hammer and we’ll nail them all,” Dumervil said.

Dumervil said he already likes some of the free agency additions the team made in the last three weeks, especially a guy like safety Brian Dawkins.

“We’re excited, we’ve gotten a lot of proven starters from other teams,” Dumervil said. “So it’s good to kind of have all those pieces of the puzzle come to gether. Now all we have to do is go through OTAs and camp and get everyone jelled together. [We have to be] more physical. More nasty. I haven’t been a part of a good defense in the NFL yet, so that’s one of my main goals is to come out here and be dominant.”

Dumervil played coy when asked about the switch to a 3-4 (note to Elvis: Josh McDaniels has already confirmed the team will be switching to that scheme). But he noted that his primary goal won’t change, regardless of he’s playing as a down lineman or as an outside linebacker.

“I like to hit quarterbacks, that’s what I want to do. Hopefully I can continue doing that,” Dumervil said.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/03/17/dumveril-on-defense-were-going-to-be-nasty/

Popps
03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Another player who sounds pumped. Great to hear.

Excitement seems to be the key word these guys keep throwing around. I can't wait to see if we can make better use of Dumervil. I just have a feeling if he were on the Steelers, he'd be a top-flight player. Hopefully we can put him in the position to make plays.

PaintballCLE
03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
“We’re going to be nasty.

Yup, I agree.........worst in the league again..........until they figure out defense starts with a good D line

Requiem
03-17-2009, 08:35 PM
It is great to hear players like Elvis and Royal talk. OTOH, listening to Cutler makes me wanna puke on tits.

phibacka31
Thank you for this!! Great to hear!!

I am over the Culer talk until something happens!!!

I'm excited for Elvis!!

Spider
We’re going to be nasty I dont think going with out showers is the answer .........

montrose
03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
The video is up at DenverBroncos.com, he seems super-stoked about playing for McDaniels!

PaintballCLE
03-17-2009, 08:38 PM
The video is up at DenverBroncos.com, he seems super-stoked about playing for McDaniels!

wouldn't you be excited to play for a defensive coach who knows that a 10 yard cushion by the corners is a BAD thing? I know i would LOL

Popps
03-17-2009, 08:43 PM
D-line help is coming, guys. There were no prizes left in FA, so we'll build through the draft and see if we can't get some production out of Thomas and maybe even Powell. Fields also comes to town with a rep of being a great contributor, and one scouting report said he could be a break-out player. We'll see.

ZONA
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM
rep for a non Cutler post ^5

Drek
03-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Yup, I agree.........worst in the league again..........until they figure out defense starts with a good D line

Can't squeeze blood from a stone.

They've already made some huge upgrades in the secondary, added some ok depth to the LBs, and brought in a coaching staff that actually knows what the hell they're doing.

I'm assuming we'll be running a 3-4 hybrid defense a la Arizona these last few years. Nolan is quite familiar with it and how Clancy Pendergast was utilizing it to make up for a lack of straight 3-4 talent. He'll be able to run something similar here, though I wouldn't be surprised if he generates more success than Pendergast, as he's got more quality pieces to start with.

DBBBSBS
03-17-2009, 08:52 PM

nice to see such a positive presence. why dont u follow browns instead of broncos.

spdirty
03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
talks cheap elvis...however, if true then it would only be fitting to now have the offense as our major liability.

PaintballCLE
03-17-2009, 08:59 PM
nice to see such a positive presence. why dont u follow browns instead of broncos.

ah another newbie who can't understand sarcasm........4321~ 4321~ 4321~

SoCalBronco
03-17-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm glad to hear that he is enthusiastic about what he sees from Nolan and the new additions. I hope he's right. Before I get too excited about the defense, this does have echoes of "We're letting them loose" in it, though.

lex
03-17-2009, 09:29 PM

Excitement seems to be the key word these guys keep throwing around. I can't wait to see if we can make better use of Dumervil. I just have a feeling if he were on the Steelers, he'd be a top-flight player. Hopefully we can put him in the position to make plays.

No, its not great to hear. Its the same fluff crap that we've been hearing for the past several years. Its time for these guys to just play and not talk about what theyre going to do.

BroncoMan4ever
03-17-2009, 09:32 PM
It is great to hear players like Elvis and Royal talk. OTOH, listening to Cutler makes me wanna puke on boobies.

i am sick of the Cutler crap too. but never sick enough that i would puke on boobies. boobies make me forget all the stupidity

BroncoBuff
03-17-2009, 09:34 PM
No, its not great to hear. Its the same fluff crap that we've been hearing for the past several years. Its time for these guys to just play and not talk about what theyre going to do.

Sounds great to me, some real fresh air from Elvis. Time for a whole new mindset, whole new philosophy on defense. I'm glad he'll be part of it.

lex
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Sounds great to me, some real fresh air from Elvis. Time for a whole new mindset, whole new philosophy on defense. I'm glad he'll be part of it.

Im going to just wait and see what happens. Im glad we're switching to the 3-4 but hearing players dote on the new scheme and new players is too reminiscent of the fluff we've been hearing repeatedly summer after summer.

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
wouldn't you be excited to play for a defensive coach who knows that a 10 yard cushion by the corners is a BAD thing? I know i would LOL

:rofl: They probably feel like they're in Nirvana. I bet Nolan was like "we'll play some bump coverage this year" while looking over his notes and the entire defense screamed like it was the end of Amistad.

SoCalBronco
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Lex makes a very fair point.

If there's also an article about Tuten's sled making everyone a monster that comes out this year, we'll know for sure its all BS.....again.

But....we'll see, hopefully it is different this time. One can take only so much "we're letting the DL loose this year....no really" without being justifiably cynical after awhile.

Los Broncos
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Still no pass rush, same old same old.

Broncos_OTM
03-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Someone needs to school lindsay and tell her Dumervil is not a good fit for the 3-4. Can we get someone with a wee bit of knowledge to report on our favorite team. shessus

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/khh7rnk0nOs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/khh7rnk0nOs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

CBS4 Sports everyone!

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Everyone that talks to McDaniels (except Jay) seems to buy into what he's doing and is genuinely excited about it. Royal's calling him a leader. Dawkins believes he has the right idea about how to win. Dumervil's excited about the season. It seems like, for now at least, they think he knows what he's talking about from an X's and O's perspective anyway.

SoCalBronco
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Everyone that talks to McDaniels (except Jay) seems to buy into what he's doing and is genuinely excited about it. Royal's calling him a leader. Dawkins believes he has the right idea about how to win. Dumervil's excited about the season. It seems like, for now at least, they think he knows what he's talking about from an X's and O's perspective anyway.

It could be that (at least in part)......or it could be that they know where they're bread is buttered (at least in part).

lex
03-17-2009, 09:59 PM

The footage of Royals press conference though was reminiscent of the the production quality you have/had from the middle east videos where they would film American hostages. I wonder if Royal felt like clamps would be placed on his genitals if he didnt say the "right" things.

yerner
03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Apparently this was before McD told Doom he would soon be traded for someone who can play linebacker in the new scheme.

~Crash~
03-17-2009, 10:15 PM

McD is the D Coordinator also ?

HEAV
03-17-2009, 10:16 PM
“I like to hit quarterbacks"

hee hee hee.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdOY9LbCUBk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdOY9LbCUBk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

34 seconds in : "Rush the quarterback...rush the quarterback!"

I wonder if 3-4 OLB will be a cheaper to resign than a 4-3 DE?

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 10:17 PM

I have no doubts McDaniels is a SUPERB X's and O's person.

I have no doubts McDaniels HAS A PLAN to WIN.

What frustrates me is that he lied, and is too stubborn to fix the situation with Jay. He needs to accept that Jay isn't going to just show up one day and say "hey coach, we're cool." McDaniels needs to realize he is accountable for what happened, and thus needs to fix it so he can get on to COACHING, instead of stupid negotiations in a mess he responsible for getting out of hand.

spdirty
03-17-2009, 10:29 PM

What frustrates me is that he lied, and is too stubborn to fix the situation with Jay. He needs to accept that Jay isn't going to just show up one day and say "hey coach, we're cool." McDaniels needs to realize he is accountable for what happened, and thus needs to fix it so he can get on to COACHING, instead of stupid negotiations in a mess he responsible for getting out of hand.

you know, it really pains me to see that while I do think coaching and personnel on the defensive side of the ball is very much improved, this stupid ****ing completely avoidable situation with Cutler completely deflates my excitement for this team.

Cam07
03-17-2009, 10:29 PM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/khh7rnk0nOs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/khh7rnk0nOs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

CBS4 Sports everyone!

I will never forget that hit Wilson put on Wheatley. Now that was nasty!

Popps
03-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Look dude, you need to realize what's happened here.

Jay Cutler and his agent have used a simple part of the business to put a gun to the throat of the organization. It's amazing to me that anyone wants this guy back, much less buys any of this bull**** "poor me" routine his agents is floating out there.

McDaniels won't be "trying to get him back." Jay doesn't want to come back.
The coach has made it ultra-clear that Jay is the one he wants to lead the team, but Jay won't even meet him one on one.

I don't think you have a grip on what's happened, here. You've been had.

~Crash~
03-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Jay Cutler and his agent have used a simple part of the business to put a gun to the throat of the organization. It's amazing to me that anyone wants this guy back, much less buys any of this bull**** "poor me" routine his agents is floating out there.

The coach has made it ultra-clear that Jay is the one he wants to lead the team, but Jay won't even meet him one on one.

so you think QB's are a dime a dozen ...fine . I don't.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 10:39 PM

Do you have "a grip" of what my own signature means. Sorry but I'd like to find a way to keep our franchise QB. I don't really feel like Chris Simms right now or some other lesser player, you know? All I give a **** about is us having the best possible team out there, and it is irrefutable that the best possible team in 2009 would be with Jay Cutler rather than without. I'm a realist. McDaniels has yet to get a 1 on 1 with him, so he needs to fly his ass out there, and do that. It's clear if McDaniels had tried before Cook got more involved that he could have had the 1v1, but he waited to long and said the wrong stuff. If he comes back and says Jay wouldn't sit down 1 on 1 without Cook there, then we can say **** him.

JJJ
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
A DLine that can't pressure on the QB. Linebackers who can't tackle. Backfield older than the Patriots linebackers of last year.

If Nolan turns this POS into a nasty defense then the guy is a God.

I actually think the first half of the season your D will be pretty good as the change and a new attitude will do them good. But reality will set in during the 2nd half.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
so you think QB's are a dime a dozen ...fine . I don't.

Exactly... it's like some people don't remember the last decade. It's as if some people don't realize how many teams forums are bursting with the chance to get Cutler... why is that? Because he's a freaking Pro Bowl quality franchise QB. You think we've had it bad waiting for Cutler? Take a look at all the other teams who have been without a franchise QB for longer than that. The entire notion of **** Cutler, get his whiny ass out of here is in of itself immature and illogical towards the future success of the Broncos. Elway was just as big a b**** about not playing for the Colts and demanding Reeves (HIS OWN HEAD COACH, who might I add had MORE credibility at the position than McDaniels) be gone. Some people just don't have memories, nor the capacity for thinking about the future... only an intense emotional present that clouds all proper judgment.

I myself evolve with the situation as evidence presents itself, and always keep in mind what I believe to be BEST for the team's future when I post.

worm
03-17-2009, 11:14 PM
I am sure this will be the only piece of fluff written this spring\summer by a player, coach, reporter, maner.

Results are the only thing that counts.

Popps
03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
I myself evolve with the situation as evidence presents itself, and always keep in mind what I believe to be BEST for the team's future when I post.

The evidence is this...

-The team has told Jay they don't want to trade him, and want him to be the QB this season.

-Jay has told the team, the fans and his teammates to **** off... in so many words.

You can spin that **** around however you want, but those are the only to "facts" a guy who claims to deal in facts should be concerning himself with... not if Jay's tender ass is sore, or if Josh called him poo-poo face before Jay said that he was rubber and Josh was glue.

Broncoman13
03-18-2009, 05:18 AM

Popps, seriously... it was the same thing last year with Shanny running the show. Everyone was pumped and we were going to do great things, even on defense with Slowik (Champ's choice remember!).

SHOW ME!

Traveler
03-18-2009, 05:35 AM
A DLine that can't pressure on the QB. Linebackers who can't tackle. Backfield older than the Patriots linebackers of last year.

I actually think the first half of the season your D will be pretty good as the change and a new attitude will do them good. But reality will set in during the 2nd half.

My take is just the opposite. The defense will struggle early because of the "newness" of the scheme. They will continue to get better as the season progresses and play their best towards the end of the year.

Broncoman13
03-18-2009, 05:35 AM
The evidence is this...

-The team has told Jay they don't want to trade him, and want him to be the QB this season.

-Jay has told the team, the fans and his teammates to **** off... in so many words.

You can spin that **** around however you want, but those are the only to "facts" a guy who claims to deal in facts should be concerning himself with... not if Jay's tender ass is sore, or if Josh called him poo-poo face before Jay said that he was rubber and Josh was glue.

At this point I'm not willing to let either one of them off the hook. I do feel that one will be here for at least the short haul and the other will not. Bye-bye Jay Cutler. You've whined your way out of town at this point. Hopefully he will just shut up and let us get max value in a trade.

That doesn't excuse McD from this though. He F'd up big time. If you can't admit that, fine. Facts are facts and McD's story changes... A LOT! Either way, it looks as though he will be here for the time being and that is who I'm behind. Replacing a QB (franchise or not) is not the easiest thing to do. The good news is that McD's mindset from the beginning and all of his preparation have been with the thought process of installing a completely new offense. I think that's why he got SCARED and tried to bring in a blanky in Cassel. There is no way that Cassel is a better QB than McD, but he would have been effective b/c of his knowledge of the system. It would have put McD in a situation to have early success. B/c he "showed up too late to the party" and failed to acquire Cassel, he has now put himself into a situation where he HAS to have some early success. Had he stood pat and played his hand, he would have got a pass from most fans (myself included). He has put an immense amount of pressure on himself with one snafu.

Oh, and I believe his message to the players and staff is effective. I believe that the players will rally behind him and play their butts off. He wouldn't have got the job if he didn't have a good message. He wouldn't have got Dawkins in town without a good message. And he wouldn't have the backing of Pat Bowlen without a good message... but right now that message is words. Proof is in the puddin, right?!?

brncs_fan
03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
And to think I clicked on this thread thinking that I wouldn't have to read about Cutler and McD.

rugbythug
03-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Actually Oskie McD's story has not changed. It is what people are saying about this and that-that keeps changing. McD is doing the right thing and not talking to the media. He is not selling out his QB with an interview too KOA. I am sure there are tons of inconsitencies on Jay's side also. But he is not airing those. If he did he would not be a guy Players would go to war for. Because he is not though we "fans" are getting a distorted view of the situation.

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Guys, seriously, this is a thread about Dumervil and the defense.

There are literally 324 other threads going on right now talking about Cutler vs. McDaniels. Why infect this one too?

Having said that.....

Someone tell Dumervil that I like more peanut butter with my fluff.

Broncomutt
03-18-2009, 06:49 AM
“We’re going to be nasty. You give us a hammer and we’ll nail them all,” Dumervil said.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/03/17/dumveril-on-defense-were-going-to-be-nasty/

They're gonna let our defense take the field with hammers?!!! **** YEAH!! That's what I'm talkin' bout!!

Just what our defense has been missing. Attitude and the ability to deliver blunt force trauma.

Haha, Rivers must be pissin' his pants!

Best off-season ever!

bronco_diesel
03-18-2009, 07:17 AM

or to not be playing for slowick :)

broncocalijohn
10-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Im going to just wait and see what happens. Im glad we're switching to the 3-4 but hearing players dote on the new scheme and new players is too reminiscent of the fluff we've been hearing repeatedly summer after summer.

BUMP! Wasnt lex a Shanny supporter? Seems he was mad at hearing the same thing but wanted the old guard of SLowick.

Elvis was correct. Top Defense and he has made a huge name for himself with 8 sacks (or is it even more?). Fun going back and seeing what maners thought before an actual snap. Some anti's was loving the offseason until the rumors were true and Jay left.

Rock Chalk
10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
This season is gonna be great with all the bumped threads.

Better than any season on the Mane since it started :)

Well, it will be great for me anyway. I think some people are going to have a crapton of egg on their face and going to hate the Mane this season.

tsiguy96
10-07-2009, 09:02 PM
just look through ANY of socal's posts from the entire offseason (minus TC reports) for pure comedy gold.

baja
10-07-2009, 09:20 PM
It is great to hear players like Elvis and Royal talk. OTOH, listening to Cutler makes me wanna puke on boobies.

I can't remember a post of yours I did not enjoy.

BroncoBuff
10-07-2009, 09:41 PM
I can't remember a post of yours I did not enjoy.

I feel the same way about you, ex-patriot ;D

baja
10-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I feel the same way about you, ex-patriot ;D

You just want an invite to the ranch when things get tough up North. ;D

Thing is you have always been welcome.

You should chose your Yurt ;D

broncocalijohn
10-07-2009, 09:59 PM

you think this Charger troll is getting a little nervous? I thought the Chargers would have the division wrapped up after the coming MNF game? Coming home from being gone over the weekend, I turned on the SD sports channel and it is AJ the GM vs the players. Love it!

lex
10-07-2009, 10:12 PM
BUMP! Wasnt lex a Shanny supporter? Seems he was mad at hearing the same thing but wanted the old guard of SLowick.

Elvis was correct. Top Defense and he has made a huge name for himself with 8 sacks (or is it even more?). Fun going back and seeing what maners thought before an actual snap. Some anti's was loving the offseason until the rumors were true and Jay left.

I hated Slowik. Also, there were sevaral things that I was critical of Shanahan for (I also defend him in a lot of situations). Still, he was a great, great coach.

LordHelmchen
10-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Someone needs to school lindsay and tell her Dumervil is not a good fit for the 3-4. Can we get someone with a wee bit of knowledge to report on our favorite team. shessus

I especially like this one :thumbsup: not calling the poster out or anything, it's just ... so awesome ;D

JJJ
10-07-2009, 11:23 PM
you think this Charger troll is getting a little nervous? I thought the Chargers would have the division wrapped up after the coming MNF game? Coming home from being gone over the weekend, I turned on the SD sports channel and it is AJ the GM vs the players. Love it!

This Charger troll is simply waiting for the second half of the season as predicted.

Can you imagine what the Titan boards must have looked like at 11-0? It is a long season.

BMarsh615
10-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I especially like this one :thumbsup: not calling the poster out or anything, it's just ... so awesome ;D

That was my favorite one too.Ha!

OBF1
10-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Best bump ever.... Man alot of the posters opened mouth and inserted foot quite deeply.

It just keeps getting better and better. Thanks BCJ

BMarsh615
10-07-2009, 11:28 PM
apparently this was before mcd told doom he would soon be traded for someone who can play linebacker in the new scheme.

... :d

broncocalijohn
10-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Best bump ever.... Man alot of the posters opened mouth and inserted foot quite deeply.

It just keeps getting better and better. Thanks BCJ

thank my rep department you whore.

Mogulseeker
10-08-2009, 12:04 AM
i have had some alcohols. ibn my system.... but McD is aweSOME

Mogulseeker
10-08-2009, 12:09 AM

seroiously, this guy is my boiy!

broncocalijohn
10-08-2009, 12:10 AM

oh goody! Another drunkposts by Mighty. Keep drinking and typing. I hope you are at home and if not, call Meck if you need a ride.

Natedog24
10-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Rereading this entire thread reminded me why I didn't post much here over the offseason, blech...

:TJnPopps:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-08-2009, 06:40 AM

Ahem?

Mr. Elway
10-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Very humorous bump, but to be fair not even the most optimistic of us really thought the defense would be anywhere close to the top 5 in the league.

I forgot all about the "McDaniels LIED!!" paranoia though. I wonder if people still think that now?

Peoples Champ
10-08-2009, 07:23 AM
i like it nasty............what? who said that?

TheReverend
10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
This season is gonna be great with all the bumped threads.

Better than any season on the Mane since it started :)

Well, it will be great for me anyway. I think some people are going to have a crapton of egg on their face and going to hate the Mane this season.

Be careful what you wish for.

We beat Cleveland and Oakland decisively, beat Cinci thanks to a ball tipped by Jesus himself, and a Marshall catch and run vs a Dallas team that may be begging TO back in the off-season. I'm certainly a believer in Nolan, but McD himself hasn't won me over yet, aside from me being happy that he hired Nolan and his play-calling is emphasizing the run.

Regardless, at 4-0 I have "egg on my face", and I certainly am enjoying it and hated this place in the off-season but am loving it now.

Popps
10-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Apparently this was before McD told Doom he would soon be traded for someone who can play linebacker in the new scheme.

Hilarious!

Just awesome.

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 12:09 PM

We beat Cleveland and Oakland decisively, beat Cinci thanks to a ball tipped by Jesus himself, and a Marshall catch and run vs a Dallas team that may be begging TO back in the off-season. I'm certainly a believer in Nolan, but McD himself hasn't won me over yet, aside from me being happy that he hired Nolan and his play-calling is emphasizing the run.

Regardless, at 4-0 I have "egg on my face", and I certainly am enjoying it and hated this place in the off-season but am loving it now.

Hey, Im not proclaiming superbowl.

You make some valid points, but what many people (on both sides of the McD issue) keep forgetting is that the offense takes time to learn and perfect.

Moss and Brady are BOTH quoted as saying that it took them a year to feel truly comfortable in this system. WHen the offense limits their drive killing penalties, they have proven to be effective and they are getting better when they aren't shooting themselves in the foot.

When this offense puts it together, I promise you that it will match the intensity of the defense and Denver will be a formidable team. That may not be until next year, but we should see steady improvement from BOTH sides of the ball this year. That may be enough to get us to the playoffs which is a far cry from the 4-12, 3-13, 6-10 predictions we saw out of a good portion of THIS fan base in the offseason.

TheReverend
10-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey, Im not proclaiming superbowl.

You make some valid points, but what many people (on both sides of the McD issue) keep forgetting is that the offense takes time to learn and perfect.

Moss and Brady are BOTH quoted as saying that it took them a year to feel truly comfortable in this system. WHen the offense limits their drive killing penalties, they have proven to be effective and they are getting better when they aren't shooting themselves in the foot.

When this offense puts it together, I promise you that it will match the intensity of the defense and Denver will be a formidable team. That may not be until next year, but we should see steady improvement from BOTH sides of the ball this year. That may be enough to get us to the playoffs which is a far cry from the 4-12, 3-13, 6-10 predictions we saw out of a good portion of THIS fan base in the offseason.

Great post and I agree. I'm very hopeful that the offense grows each week and becomes more potent and versatile.

Naturally, I'm pretty skeptical about that considering our offense now mirrors how Chicago used Orton, and Chicago looks like the 08 Broncos making WRs out of thin air, only with a capable defense.

I've credited McDaniels with what I believe he deserves credit for THUS far: Hiring Mike Nolan and emphasizing the run. When teams start playing heavy under coverage, jumping early routes, etc, and KO can beat them on the outside or deep, I'll credit him with more. Until then, this is all I feel comfortable giving him :)

This defense though... ugh... goddamn I just wish Nolan had been fired a year earlier and hired here last year.

AlphaOmega
10-08-2009, 12:43 PM
“We’re going to be nasty. You give us a hammer and we’ll nail them all” Elvis "Nostra-Doomus" Dumervil
:thumbsup:

Mogulseeker
10-08-2009, 01:07 PM
oh goody! Another drunkposts by Mighty. Keep drinking and typing. I hope you are at home and if not, call Meck if you need a ride.

That's the beauty of the iPhone.... I don't need to be home!

Eldorado
10-08-2009, 01:27 PM

We beat Dallas because our front seven eviscerated what many considered to be a top 3 offensive line.

HEAV
10-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Gotta love how some past negatives are only half-way stepping out of the closet. They have one foot still in the hater closet and line their posts with statements that leave an escape clause so they can jump right back in the hater closet.

Well the team beat (enter name) but... and (enter player name) still isn't good... also (enter coach name) still hasn't won me over yet....

Shanny is the past. Get on the new bus and lets see where it goes.

Eldorado
10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
The only thing worse than the half haters are the 'I told you so' doosh, sore winners.

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Great post and I agree. I'm very hopeful that the offense grows each week and becomes more potent and versatile.

Naturally, I'm pretty skeptical about that considering our offense now mirrors how Chicago used Orton, and Chicago looks like the 08 Broncos making WRs out of thin air, only with a capable defense.

I've credited McDaniels with what I believe he deserves credit for THUS far: Hiring Mike Nolan and emphasizing the run. When teams start playing heavy under coverage, jumping early routes, etc, and KO can beat them on the outside or deep, I'll credit him with more. Until then, this is all I feel comfortable giving him :)

This defense though... ugh... goddamn I just wish Nolan had been fired a year earlier and hired here last year.

Mike Shanahan: "Bob Slowik will return as our Defensive Coordinator".

Wouldnt have mattered if Nolan was available. Shanahan was tied to the hip to Slowik and that's why many of us are glad he is going. No one will argue that Slowik was an incompetant coach. No one. Shanahan would not place the necessary emphasis on the defense or special teams to improve it in any measure to what Nolan has done in one single season.

I dont have any problem with you criticizing the offense still, nor anyone for that matter, just so long as people keep things in perspective about things. I dont see the 08 Bears offense being run in Denver, I see a very young Patriot offense being run in denver and HOPEFULLY we will see some of those same returns.