PDA

View Full Version : Cutlers Health Issue

garandman
03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
It has been brought up and before today I haven't thought that much about it. I spoke to a friend of mine who happens to be an M.D., specifically works with blood disorders. We got on the subject of the cutler situation and he is very familiar with it.
He said a problem with his diabetes will manifest it self sooner rather than later, and although neither side is talking about it, it could be driving some of the trade talk, and the pursuit of a new contract. He believes as Cutler gets older he will be less able to control his glucose levels when participating in football especially in hot climates. It's kind of an unknown but reality, he may only have a few years left, who knows.

Case in fact, during the pro-bowl it was mentioned Cutler had to check his levels every 30 minutes because of the excessive heat.
More it chew on, not sure we had enough **SARCASM HERE**

telluride
03-17-2009, 07:22 PM
I've been bringing this up since all this unfolded. I think that Jay's diabetes is a huge -- and undiscussed -- factor in all this. Add in his lifestyle issues, and it becomes even more pronounced.

plummershelper
03-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I agree on both counts above!

orinjkrush
03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
sad to hear this.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Well poop on a stick.

http://www.vistadrivein.com/images/cdgif12.gif

Arkie
03-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Maybe it was all staged to get the most for all parties.

cutthemdown
03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
I think Broncos smart to watch how Cutler does this yr and next before he is due a 12 mil roster bonus in 3 yrs. Of course now it looks all that may be moot if he leaves. If I was in charge though I would worry about his health. I wouldn't shell out 20 mil guaranteed right now for him.

You know this is a factor in Cook and Cutler trying to get a big new deal from either Broncos or another team. I don't think Cutler expects to be around at 35 plus like Warner, getting another big deal etc.

thumpc
03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Maybe it was all staged to get the most for all parties.
There's a new theory. Unlikely, but a good twist.

Broncojef
03-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I think Broncos smart to watch how Cutler does this yr and next before he is due a 12 mil roster bonus in 3 yrs. Of course now it looks all that may be moot if he leaves. If I was in charge though I would worry about his health. I wouldn't shell out 20 mil guaranteed right now for him.

You know this is a factor in Cook and Cutler trying to get a big new deal from either Broncos or another team. I don't think Cutler expects to be around at 35 plus like Warner, getting another big deal etc.

I just think McD wants some stability at the QB position. Cutler is an all-pro world beater one week and a head case the next. I like Cutler but think people are blowing him up to be more than he is. Agree his health is probably an issue, that plus his attitude and no way in hell do I give him an overblown extension.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 07:48 PM
It has been brought up and before today I haven't thought that much about it. I spoke to a friend of mine who happens to be an M.D., specifically works with blood disorders. We got on the subject of the cutler situation and he is very familiar with it.
He said a problem with his diabetes will manifest it self sooner rather than later, and although neither side is talking about it, it could be driving some of the trade talk, and the pursuit of a new contract. He believes as Cutler gets older he will be less able to control his glucose levels when participating in football especially in hot climates. It's kind of an unknown but reality, he may only have a few years left, who knows.

Case in fact, during the pro-bowl it was mentioned Cutler had to check his levels every 30 minutes because of the excessive heat.
More it chew on, not sure we had enough **SARCASM HERE**

Well that's some SWEET Information!!:~ohyah!:

Florida_Bronco
03-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Diabetes, if controlled, is a non issue.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 07:59 PM

Well with the passage of Stem Cell legislation they're maybe a cure for Type-1 Diabetes in the next couple of years.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/scireport/chapter7.asp

PaintballCLE
03-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Well poop on a stick.

http://www.vistadrivein.com/images/cdgif12.gif

hey, don't diss the corn dog! :rofl:

garandman
03-17-2009, 08:04 PM

With all due respect, "if controlled" is the problem, an average person yes, a non issue. A pro football player is another case, it could be potentially dangerous especially Type I. There really isn't someone that has had to deal with it in football before, except Wade Wilson, who was diagnosed later in his career and was mostly a back-up at the time.

elsid13
03-17-2009, 08:09 PM
With all due respect, "if controlled" is the problem, an average person yes, a non issue. A pro football player is another case, it could be potentially dangerous especially Type I. There really isn't someone that has had to deal with it in football before, except Wade Wilson, who was diagnosed later in his career and was mostly a back-up at the time.

There have been number of pro athletics in different sports that have played with it. This is not issue, Cutler has access to best medical staff available and will keep under control. When people throw this stuff out there is no basis of fact to support this argument.

Broncojef
03-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Well with the passage of Stem Cell legislation they're maybe a cure for Type-1 Diabetes in the next couple of years.

With all due respect we've had stem cell research for years we just didn't have the government pimping folks with money to do it. Anytime the government gets involved its more red tape, bloated and bad. Nothing more will come of this spending other than more spending and the left can feel good about itself.

Florida_Bronco
03-17-2009, 08:23 PM

As someone else mentioned, lots of pro athletes (including football players) have played with it.

Again, it's a non issue if Cutler controls it.

garandman
03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
As someone else mentioned, lots of pro athletes (including football players) have played with it.

Again, it's a non issue if Cutler controls it.

I will stand corrected, but can anyone here name somebody?

Dr. Broncenstein
03-17-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/Jesus_facepalm.jpg

Natedogg
03-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Wade Wilson. But he sucks.

Florida_Bronco
03-17-2009, 08:30 PM

I forget his name, but in the 90's there was a safety who played for the Patriots that had diabetes.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 08:32 PM
With all due respect we've had stem cell research for years we just didn't have the government pimping folks with money to do it. Anytime the government gets involved its more red tape, bloated and bad. Nothing more will come of this spending other than more spending and the left can feel good about itself.

Well with all due respect! I gotta disagree with you. I happen to believe that cures for many diseases thru stem cell research can be found. You must have hope. It has nothing to do with right or left political agenda's.

Anyway, diseases don't discriminate with who's left or right.

richpjr
03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Well with all due respect! I gotta disagree with you. I happen to believe that cures for many diseases thru stem cell research can be found. You must have hope. It has nothing to do with right or left political agenda's.

Anyway, diseases don't discriminate with who's left or right.

While I certainly believe that the good 'ol USA is at the forefront of an awful lot of technology and medical research, there were no limits on stem cell research in a lot of European and Asian countries and it hasn't happened yet.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 09:03 PM
While I certainly believe that the good 'ol USA is at the forefront of an awful lot of technology and medical research, there were no limits on stem cell research in a lot of European and Asian countries and it hasn't happened yet.

I think it will take the contribution and team work around the world of the top scientist, chemist etc all working towards the same goal for finding cures.

hades
03-17-2009, 09:03 PM

True, he should be able to keep it in check well enough to not have any issues with it. The only draw back I see is how often he checks his blood sugar levels. I have been type 1 since 1972, and I HATE checking my blood sugar by using the "alternate" testing sites (alt. sites make you look like you have some skin disease, litltle red spots on your arms, legs, etc. GROSS!). I always use my finger tips, and I'll tell you what, I could probably rob a bank with no gloves and not leave finger prints! The tips of my fingers are are very "peppered" from all the sticks to get a drop of blood. I check probably 6 to 10 times a day, that is a lot of little stabs to the finger tips! I think it will eventually have an effect on his ball control.

I worked construction outside in Texas summers, worked indoors, and I never really had any issues with my sugar levels because of the heat/cold. He should be able to see patterns (maybe it will take some time, but he will see and know how his body reacts).

Example, today I had 2 slices of pizza for lunch. Pizza jacks my sugar up, so I took twice the normal dose of my insulin before I ate it. My sugar was 93, the normal dosage is 3 units, I took 6. After a couple hours, I checked my sugar and it was 145. Had I taken my normal does, I woulda been over 200. I know from past experience eating pizza!

Just think, over the course of a year, if he checks his sugar levels 8 times a day, that is over 2900 little pricks! I heard him say he was checking 10 to 15 times a day during an interview.

hades
03-17-2009, 09:08 PM

Jonathan Hayes Biography

Claim to Fame: NFL Tight End Coach for Cincinnati Bengals
DOB: 1962
Diabetes Type: 1

Click Me to see more diabetic athletes (http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/inspiration_expert_advice/famous_people/sports.html)

rastaman
03-17-2009, 09:10 PM
True, he should be able to keep it in check well enough to not have any issues with it. The only draw back I see is how often he checks his blood sugar levels. I have been type 1 since 1972, and I HATE checking my blood sugar by using the "alternate" testing sites (alt. sites make you look like you have some skin disease, litltle red spots on your arms, legs, etc. GROSS!). I always use my finger tips, and I'll tell you what, I could probably rob a bank with no gloves and not leave finger prints! The tips of my fingers are are very "peppered" from all the sticks to get a drop of blood. I check probably 6 to 10 times a day, that is a lot of little stabs to the finger tips! I think it will eventually have an effect on his ball control.

I worked construction outside in Texas summers, worked indoors, and I never really had any issues with my sugar levels because of the heat/cold. He should be able to see patterns (maybe it will take some time, but he will see and know how his body reacts).

Example, today I had 2 slices of pizza for lunch. Pizza jacks my sugar up, so I took twice the normal dose of my insulin before I ate it. My sugar was 93, the normal dosage is 3 units, I took 6. After a couple hours, I checked my sugar and it was 145. Had I taken my normal does, I woulda been over 200. I know from past experience eating pizza!

Just think, over the course of a year, if he checks his sugar levels 8 times a day, that is over 2900 little pricks! I heard him say he was checking 10 to 15 times a day during an interview.

Thanks for sharing this information. I have a question for you, I have a friend thats borderline diabetic and he says sometimes while eating pizza at pizza hut he can taste sugar. Is this a correct symtom or experience? Thanks.

hades
03-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks for sharing this information. I have a question for you, I have a friend thats borderline diabetic and he says sometimes while eating pizza at pizza hut he can taste sugar. Is this a correct symtom or experience? Thanks.

Some pizza places do use sweet tomato sauce, I know Papa Johns uses really sweet sauce on the BBQ Chicken pizza. Even twice the dose isn't enough if I eat that for lunch! I usually stay away from the "chain" pizza places and frequent Joe's Pasta and Pizza by our house, or a friends restaurant.

He may be right in thinking some things taste sweet to him. I know my wife is more "sensitive" to that now that we have been married over 11 years and she has adjusted her diet to be more in line with mine (even tho she is not diabetic). The dough on the pizza is a killer too, all that flower used in the crust, major carbs! I always order thin crust, but I love deep dish pizza!:wiggle:

rastaman
03-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Some pizza places do use sweet tomato sauce, I know Papa Johns uses really sweet sauce on the BBQ Chicken pizza. Even twice the dose isn't enough if I eat that for lunch! I usually stay away from the "chain" pizza places and frequent Joe's Pasta and Pizza by our house, or a friends restaurant.

He may be right in thinking some things taste sweet to him. I know my wife is more "sensitive" to that now that we have been married over 11 years and she has adjusted her diet to be more in line with mine (even tho she is not diabetic). The dough on the pizza is a killer too, all that flower used in the crust, major carbs! I always order thin crust, but I love deep dish pizza!:wiggle:

Thats interesting.....I guess my friend wasn't crazy after all.:wiggle:

ZONA
03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Stem Cells will not be "curing" anything anytime soon. In fact, even the best results from stell cell improvement to an illness have been very small. So if a person with Type 1 received treatment, the very best results you could hope for would be a small improvement. Which is a big thing to the person who suffers. If it means only having to check your sugars 10 times a day instead of 15, that's something. But again, those are the best results. Most results are average, meaning improvement is still very very very small. Maybe by the time Cutler is ready to retire there will be huge advances but right now and in the coming years they don't expect great changes.

Yeah, this could very well be a driving factor for Cutler and Cook. That's something you have to take into account. It's got to be in the back of Jay's head all the time.

I'd give Jay a new deal right now, locking him up for 5 years but not insane money.

Pony Boy
03-17-2009, 11:14 PM

I have first hand knowledge of diabetes and you are correct but the key is "if controlled". It will be very hard to get Cutler to alter his lifestyle. Improper diet and excessive alcohol consumption will decrease his NFL career.

~Crash~
03-17-2009, 11:24 PM

you act like there was not stem cell reserch . jack ass .

~Crash~
03-17-2009, 11:30 PM
I love the bounch that think govenment will save the world . go to russia!

LongDongJohnson
03-18-2009, 01:15 AM
cutler is damaged goods

ShutDownPoster
03-18-2009, 01:27 AM

THANK YOU !

anton
03-18-2009, 01:37 AM
If he had to play in Tampa, would the hot weather have a huge impact on his health?