PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: McD didn't pamper Tom Brady so why should he coddle Cutler

Pontius Pirate
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Even Tom Brady, a three-time Super Bowl winner, caught plenty of guff from McDaniels, Gaffney recounted.

"Yeah, I think Tom got [chewed out] just about as much as everybody else did. So, that's great. Once you see your quarterback get talked to, then you know Coach is showing no favoritism," Gaffney said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3990823

clint7
03-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Nice title. :)

Rulon Velvet Jones
03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Jake, you ignorant slut.

DeuceOfClub
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Pontius Pirate is still my favorite screen-name on the Mane.

:thumbs:

USMCBladerunner
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM
This is a point worth talking about, but that title is WAAAYYY over the top.

gyldenlove
03-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I wonder how many times McD told Brady he was going to start on Sunday and then tried to trade him during midweek?

USMCBladerunner
03-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I wonder how many times McD told Brady he was going to start on Sunday and then tried to trade him during midweek?

granted we are talking about two different things, but it's a valid point of discussion that McDaniels provides no additional quarter to his QB. This is a clear distinction from Shanahan who stated openly that he doesn't come down too hard on the QB because they have the hardest job in sports.

lostknight
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
This is not McDaniels chewing out Jay. This is McDaniels trying to trade him, lying about it, and as Dave Logan pointed out - not being convinced that Jay is worth anything.

orangemonkey
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Even Tom Brady, a three-time Super Bowl winner, caught plenty of guff from McDaniels, Gaffney recounted.

"Yeah, I think Tom got [chewed out] just about as much as everybody else did. So, that's great. Once you see your quarterback get talked to, then you know Coach is showing no favoritism," Gaffney said.

He also didn't try to trade his azz either

Ratboy
03-17-2009, 05:05 PM
He also didn't try to trade his azz either

Omg! How dare you make sense?

ayjackson
03-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Well why would you trade Brady. Let's leave the comparing Cutler to HOF quarterbacks to Jay.

Rohirrim
03-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Well why would you trade Brady. Let's leave the comparing Cutler to HOF quarterbacks to Jay.

:thumbs:

DrFate
03-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Is this why Gaffney was brought in? To be the coaches yes man?

BroncosinDC
03-17-2009, 05:15 PM

No we have a long snapper for that already.

lex
03-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Its E!SPN. Enough said.

BroncoInferno
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Its E!SPN. Enough said.

Wow, I didn't know Jabar Gaffney worked for ESPN. Thanks for the update.

Archer81
03-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Because, as Bronco fans we hold our quarterbacks to unrealistic standards...like accountability and maturity.

:Broncos:

Popps
03-17-2009, 05:43 PM

I know, McDouchebag is an idiot, right?

He should bring in some guys like Javon Walker and Travis Henry to build his foundation in Denver. He's a dumbass.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 05:45 PM

How many teams do you think contacted NE about trading Brady? You know the answer, but unfortunately for you it completely invalidates your point.

lex
03-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Wow, I didn't know Jabar Gaffney worked for ESPN. Thanks for the update.

Heres another update: Theres a lot you dont know.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Yeah....Yeah we've heard it before. Point is getting chewed out and getting lied to are two different issues entirely.

Cutler ain't pissed off b/c McD chewed him out. Cutler is pissed b/c McD can't keep his lies straight. But hey, McD is only 32 years old......by the time he's in his 40's maybe he'll learn how to tell the truth!!!

Archer81
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Heres another update: Theres a lot you dont know.

Right back atcha, chief.

Archer81
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah....Yeah we've heard it before. Point is getting chewed out and getting lied to are two different issues entirely.

Cutler ain't pissed off b/c McD chewed him out. Cutler is pissed b/c McD can't keep his lies straight. But hey, McD is only 32 years old......by the time he's in his 40's maybe he'll learn how to tell the truth!!!

Wow. He didnt lie you ridiculous person.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow. He didnt lie you ridiculous person.

Well someone is niave....aren't we.

lex
03-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Right back atcha, chief.

Use your own material.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 06:05 PM

Yeah sure why would you compare a systematic-incubator cement foot HOF QB to Jake Cutler.....it just doesn't make sense.:sunshine:

rastaman
03-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Yep Gaffney is the planted mole to rat on his fellow teammates for speaking ill of Napoleon "I Ain't Won a Game Yet" McDaniel's.:thumbsup:

Archer81
03-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Use your own material.

You copyrighted it? Damn.

lex
03-17-2009, 06:08 PM
You copyrighted it? Damn.

No, but Im not so feeble minded that I have to rely on the words of others to convey a point.

gyldenlove
03-17-2009, 06:20 PM
How many teams do you think contacted NE about trading Brady? You know the answer, but unfortunately for you it completely invalidates your point.

No, my argument is perfectly valid for anyone with the brain power to follow simple logic:

Mcdaniels brought Cutler in to work over the playbook.

Mcdaniels tried to trade Cutler.

Mcdaniels lied to Cutler about trying to trade him.

The assumption in the first post of this thread was that Brady was more mature than Cutler because he didn't cry when he got chewed out. I contend that Mcdaniels never did to Brady what he did to Cutler so the comparison between the two is invalid.

If you think that the above 3 short sentences would be true if you replaced Cutler with Brady then I will agree with you that Cutler should man up and take it like Brady, but since we both know that isn't true, you are not going to do that.

Archer81
03-17-2009, 06:20 PM
No, but Im not so feeble minded that I have to rely on the words of others to convey a point.

But you summed it up so perfectly.

gyldenlove
03-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Did you even bother to follow the thread?

:flush:

Drek
03-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Its E!SPN. Enough said.

Funny, they're a good enough source for all the "McDaniels had agreed to move Jay!" folks, over sources like Shefter and King who say he only listened and never agreed to a deal.

lex
03-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Funny, they're a good enough source for all the "McDaniels had agreed to move Jay!" folks, over sources like Shefter and King who say he only listened and never agreed to a deal.

Thats not what Schefter said. He said that was Denvers version of what happened and not that this was what happened. Ive pointed this out numerous times.

ayjackson
03-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Did you even bother to follow the thread?

:flush:

Usually I wouldn't waste my time, but this one was only a few posts long. What part don't you understand?

DrFate
03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
I know, McDouchebag is an idiot, right?

Yes, yes he is

He should bring in some guys like Javon Walker and Travis Henry to build his foundation in Denver. He's a dumbass.

We call that a 'straw man'. Thanks for playing.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't think Cutler should be treated more "special" than everyone else. I do however think that this entire mess was Josh's fault due to severing all communication with Jay during the trade mess, and not clearing things up. While you don't have to treat everyone "special" you should still show respect to your players if you want it in return. Josh needs to be the one to admit the ****up and basically tell Jay he wants him as his QB, and that he wants to work with him to have a great 2009 season. He doesn't need to keep reminding him that he could be traded whenever he wants. Pampering doesn't mean not saying the right things to fix a situation that Josh was ACCOUNTABLE for. Fix it, get Jay back at Dove Valley and working on learning the offense and go about treating everyone the same... including Jay.

Dedhed
03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
This is not McDaniels chewing out Jay. This is McDaniels trying to trade him, lying about it, and as Dave Logan pointed out - not being convinced that Jay is worth anything.

This is McDaniels telling Cutler and Brady both HOW IT IS.

Dedhed
03-17-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think Cutler should be treated more "special" than everyone else. I do however think that this entire mess was Josh's fault due to severing all communication with Jay during the trade mess, and not clearing things up. While you don't have to treat everyone "special" you should still show respect to your players if you want it in return. Josh needs to be the one to admit the ****up and basically tell Jay he wants him as his QB, and that he wants to work with him to have a great 2009 season. He doesn't need to keep reminding him that he could be traded whenever he wants. Pampering doesn't mean not saying the right things to fix a situation that Josh was ACCOUNTABLE for. Fix it, get Jay back at Dove Valley and working on learning the offense and go about treating everyone the same... including Jay.
Where is your proof that McDaniels "severed all communication" with Cutler at any point?

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Where is your proof that McDaniels "severed all communication" with Cutler at any point?

It was reported widely. Go check the Denver Post during when this all went down. Jay tried to contact the Broncos, so did his agent. They wouldn't return their calls as communication was "severed." When that happened Jay ended up talking to the news such as the Denver Post, because no one at the Broncos would talk to him. Had Josh personally talked to Jay when all of this was going down, none of us would be talking about this mess right now.

Killericon
03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
It was reported widely. Go check the Denver Post during when this all went down. Jay tried to contact the Broncos, so did his agent. They wouldn't return their calls as communication was "severed." When that happened Jay ended up talking to the news such as the Denver Post, because no one at the Broncos would talk to him. Had Josh personally talked to Jay when all of this was going down, none of us would be talking about this mess right now.

A childish move if I've ever seen one.

Dedhed
03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Thats not what Schefter said. He said that was Denvers version of what happened and not that this was what happened. Ive pointed this out numerous times.
So he didn't say this?

"No matter how much trade talk there is regarding Cutler, it is not originating from Denver and, to the disappointment of many, it is not happening" -Adam Schefter (2 weeks ago)

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 07:46 PM
A childish move if I've ever seen one.

Not really childish so much as it is an extremely typical move you see in situations like this. Thought he probably should have let Cook talk to the press over him.

Killericon
03-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Not really childish so much as it is an extremely typical move you see in situations like this. Thought he probably should have let Cook talk to the press over him.

I see no reason why he should've talked to the media at all.

Rabb
03-17-2009, 07:58 PM

actually I think they were pretty close to being past that, it was the way that McDaniels talked to Jay last weekend that set him off for good

maybe I am wrong, but that is what I remember

I imagine Jay has been coddled his whole life, and now it seems like he is being picked on when I bet if he waited until camp he would see veterans like Dawkins and Wiegmann get the same treatment as a guy they just drafted.

DrFate
03-17-2009, 08:17 PM
This is McDaniels telling Cutler and Brady both HOW IT IS.

I don't think it is about being told HOW IT IS. I think it is about being told THE TRUTH.

elsid13
03-17-2009, 08:27 PM
I don't see how this report has any relevancy to what going on. Great McKid treated Brady like any other player on the practice field and made him workout and attend meeting with the team. So Brady was held to the same performance standard as the other player isn't that big a deal, that happens on a lot of other teams.

What going on with Cutler is total different and has no bearing what happens during practice.

lex
03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
So he didn't say this?

"No matter how much trade talk there is regarding Cutler, it is not originating from Denver and, to the disappointment of many, it is not happening" -Adam Schefter (2 weeks ago)

When did he say that? If it was exactly 2 weeks ago as you say, the FO was in damage control at that point. Its not saying much to say they stopped pursuing trades at that point.

Drek
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
When did he say that? If it was exactly 2 weeks ago as you say, the FO was in damage control at that point. Its not saying much to say they stopped pursuing trades at that point.

Hey now, you just said he always reported it as coming from the FO.

But Dedhed is right, as this was breaking Shefter wasn't attaching and disclaimers, he was saying that ALL his sources were claiming that Denver was the contacted party and that they didn't initiate any of it, or even agree to a deal for that matter.

Thanks Dedhed, its kinda late and I didn't feel like digging up the actual quote.

Not like it much matters though, Lex is so wound up about the FO somehow being this duplicitous organization manipulating all the media in order to lie to Jay. Never aware of the fact that when all this first broke they gave a single short statement and nothing else, while Jay was on with every media type he could, and since then we've basically had a daily update from some reporter who has a "source close within the Cutler camp" to keep the story bumped in the news cycle.

The FO didn't even speak out publicly at any real length until just this past weekend.