PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Sharpe on the FAN

DeusExManning
03-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Shannon basically said that McDaniels was completely wrong and Jay is acting the way anybody would act. He said the only mistake that Jay has made is he should have let his agent talk exclusively. Shannon felt the same way when Mike lied to him and it was definitely a motivating factor when he left. The trust with the coach is extremely important especially for a quarterback and what McDaniels did was incredibly stupid mainly because Cassel would have carried a 14 million contract as opposed to Jay's 1 million.

broncofan2438
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Yup....anyone can see that McStupid is the one to blame here

barryr
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Shannon basically said that McDaniels was completely wrong and Jay is acting the way anybody would act. He said the only mistake that Jay has made is he should have let his agent talk exclusively. Shannon felt the same way when Mike lied to him and it was definitely a motivating factor when he left. The trust with the coach is extremely important especially for a quarterback and what McDaniels did was incredibly stupid mainly because Cassel would have carried a 14 million contract as opposed to Jay's 1 million.

Wow, a player who believes the same thing happened to him agreeing with the player. I'm shocked. Sharpe was so upset he came back to the Broncos a year later. Phony.

Broncos4tw
03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow, a player who believes the same thing happened to him agreeing with the player. I'm shocked. Sharpe was so upset he came back to the Broncos a year later. Phony.

Yea.. what a football player possibly know over random posters on message boards! What a nub.

socalorado
03-17-2009, 01:02 PM
And then he said, "Never say never, never say never"

:wiggle:

LonghornBronco
03-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Shannons right, and on top of that a McDaniels type coach is more common than a QB of Cutlers ability.

I support Gruden for Coach.

loborugger
03-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Funny... I thought Mike & Mike said this morning (yes, I know they suck, but I was passing thru the room) that Shannon said something exactly the opposite. Something like its time for Cutler to grow up and deal with it.

BroncoBen
03-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Funny... I thought Mike & Mike said this morning (yes, I know they suck, but I was passing thru the room) that Shannon said something exactly the opposite. Something like its time for Cutler to grow up and deal with it.

Yep... Shannon is still one of my favorites.. but he does tend to talk out the both sides of his mouth.

ol number 7
03-17-2009, 01:08 PM

Could you see Cutler playing for Ditka or Parcells ??

And you think he mopes now. WOW

worm
03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
The trust with the coach is extremely important especially for a quarterback and what McDaniels did was incredibly stupid mainly because Cassel would have carried a 14 million contract as opposed to Jay's 1 million.

Shannon is an idiot....and a chick!

Trust? This isn't about trust. Trust doesn't matter at all between coach and QB. I can show you the quotes from the authoritative source, Popps to prove it.

The employee does whatever the dictator says..with his mouth shut....thankful he just has a job.

Triplelefthook
03-17-2009, 01:12 PM
that was a badass interview from Sharpe

Smiling Assassin27
03-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Of course shannon's gonna side with the player. If he were coaching the broncos or any other team, he'd sing a different tune, IMO.

dbfan4life
03-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Just kinda listening to NFL Radio on Sirius, watching NFL Net, and reading what goes on here, it seems that the majority of Radio and TV personalities have sided with Jay with the expection of where Jay ran to the media. Fans of the Broncos are split on the issue and fans of others teams also siding with Jay. Just a trend I found interesting.

Taco John
03-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Paraphrasing as best I can... Sharpe talks fast!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"You had the second worst defense in the NFL... And the new guy comes in and the first thing he wants to get rid of is the pro bowl quarterback... Not trade for Julius peppers. Not bring in Ray lewis... He wants to trade his pro bowl quarterback. That's a problem.

"Why is it when an organization wants to trade a player, it's business... But when a player wants to request a trade he's being disgruntled - he's being a malcontent. You can't have it both ways and say it's a business, and when the player looks out for his own interests, he's a malcontent, disgruntled.

"If I'm Jay Cutler now, I think you have to leave. I don't know either guy. I'm looking at it from this perspective. I've got one of the worst defenses, and my numbers were great - I could have been better, I forced some throws - but with that defense what I had, I didn't get many turnover... I never played on a short field.

"I don't want to speak for Mr. Bowlen. I don't know if he really signed on with this. You mean to tell me that with Bowlen on the hook for $21 million for Mike Shanahan and his staff... You mean to tell me that they've got the kind of money that they can entertain a trade for a $14 million dollar back up quarterback!? If I'm Mike, I"m mad, because there are some defensive players that I could have had with that kind of money, but I couldn't get them!

"You know that Josh had to have had the blessing of the owner on this. Right now, good bad or indifferent, Jay was the face of this organization. Josh McDaniels comes in with the worst defense in football. He doesn't have one guy - he can trade one guy on that defense, Champ Bailey. And the first thing he wants to do is trade the quarterback!? But that's business. But now Jay Cutler says, "OK I want out." And he's being disgruntled!?

"There are some bridges you cross, there are some bridges you burn. This one is burnt. You can't cross back over it. You got to trade him now.

"Can he go to the meetings and stuff... No nononononono. Because then you give him the impression that he won, but you didn't win because I want out. I went through the same thing when Mike tried to trade me in 95. I never trusted Mike again until I got back around the second time around. I understood that Mike just wanted to make his team better by getting rid of me. But I had the last laugh.

"I can't believe that Josh McDaniels would do this... He's a probowl quarterback at 25!"

"See here's the thing. Josh McDaniels lied. You can't start a relationship with a lie, because you have to compound it and constantly lie. He should have admitted it right off the bat. Don't say nobody entertained it. Do you think somebody would call Pittsburgh, New England, Indy, New Orleans, San Diego? They wouldn't even make that call! So you mean to tell me that these teams are going to call out of the blue? No! THEY initiated the trade, and instead of admitting they did, they lie and lie and lie and lie and lie... I wouldn't have called him back either.

If I'm Jay Cutler, I say, I'm going to do you one better. I know you tried to trade me. I'm going to help you get what you wanted.

And don't worry about trading him in the AFC. You've got Bill Bilicheck - he thought so little of Drew Bledsoe that he traded him to the Bills - IN HIS DIVISION! You think so little of Jay Cutler, trade him to anyone. There are plenty of teams in the AFC who will take Jay Cutler on. Don't worry about "I can't trade him in the AFC." You didn't think he could play.

Jay should have let Bus do all the talking, and not talk to the media. Just let Bus come off as the bad guy. Tell Bus, I'm not going back. Make it happen. I'm not going back.

The way I would have handled the situation - If I'm your guy - you love me - Alfred you know how we handle this - give me one of them Roethlisberger quarterback extensions. If you want to make me happy, give me one of them $30 million dollar quarterback guarantees, and I'll think you want me. Other than that, you're looking at (????)

Because the general rule of thumb, he's going to do it again. You know that, Jay Cutler knows that, Josh McDaniels knows Jay Cutler knows that. He's got to go.

And I can't believe Pat Bowlen is letting this 32 year old guy come in and - He knows how long he waited for the moment to get a quarterback to replace #7 - and I'm not saying that he did that. But as far as mobility, as far as arm strength, this guy is the closest thing - and he had him! In ten years he had him! And you allow this guy...

Now last time I checked, all of Bill Bilicheck's assistants have been HORRIBLE! As head coaches, and I'm not saying this guy will be, but they've all been HORRIBLE! And he allowed this guy to do that! This was one of the most stable - granted this team has had it's ebbs and flows, but it's been stable - The DENVER BRONCOS. An now low and behold you spend your entire offseason haggling over this.

I just can't believe this. I want the Broncos win more than anything. I didn't play with one player but Ben Hamilton on that team now. But I want to see them do well. But this guy to upset the cart like he has, I don't think he needed to do that. I mean, Matt Cassel no matter what was going to make $14 million dollars - no matter what. If I'm Mike Shanahan, I'm like HOLD ON!? You mean to tell me that you want to take this guy with one year experience and pay him that kind of money?

Alfred Williams: I've talked to the fellas. I talk to a lot of the fellas. And I haven't heard one guy - not one guy who thinks Jay Cutler is wrong here. Not one guy.

Sharpe: Here's the problem, Josh McDaniels is the quarterbacks coach. So If I'm Jay Cutler, I have to look at this guy every single day KNOWING that this guy stabbed me in the back - he lied to me. This relationship isn't going to work. I think Mr. Bowlen is resigned to the fact that they're going to lose Jay Cutler. But I'm trying to figure out when was a quarterback traded in his prime. Look at Peyton Manning's record his first three years. What was Troy's record his first three years. Don't tell me about his record the first three years.

I know what we've got with this guy. He's got stats among stats. And he played behind a horrible defense that never got turnovers, never gave him a short field.

Alfred: Sharpie, tell me, can they fire Josh McDaniels right now.

Sharpe: Bowlen got the guy he wanted. But this didn't have to happen. I just don't think...

Alfred: Bring back Mike Shanahan.

Sharpe: I just think Mr. Bowlen is going to have to ride this out. When Josh McDaniels even broached the subject, Bowlen should have put his foot down and said "now look here, you're the man, but don't you evereverevereverever come to me with that crap again."

Jay Cutler is one of the few guys who can make every throw on the field. I work with Dan Marino, and he tells me "man, that kid can spin the ball." and what he means by that "that kid can flat out throw the ball." He doesn't say that - HE DOESN"T SAY THAT about a whole lot of people. This kid can throw the football. You give this kid a defense where he doesn't feel like he has to force the football and throw a touchdown on every play, and you've got a 30+ touchdown guy a season. And he did that with 8 runningbacks, and some of those runningbacks he had - they had no business!

SonOfLe-loLang
03-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Just kinda listening to NFL Radio on Sirius, watching NFL Net, and reading what goes on here, it seems that the majority of Radio and TV personalities have sided with Jay with the expection of where Jay ran to the media. Fans of the Broncos are split on the issue and fans of others teams also siding with Jay. Just a trend I found interesting.

I've found the opposite. There have been plenty of articles talking about how Jay has no leverage and needs to grow up.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 01:20 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for the ledge jumpers to post this.

BroncoFiend
Shannons right, and on top of that a McDaniels type coach is more common than a QB of Cutlers ability.

You do know how quickly and often Gruden goes through players right? He alienates players with the best of them.

RunSilentRunDeep
Shannon also said:

"Jay Cutler, you are the quarterback of the Denver Broncos. Whether or not you almost got traded, the best thing is to come in, work out, learn the system and move forward," says Sharpe, now a CBS analyst.

and...

"Time can eventually heal this," Sharpe says.
"Jay's going to have to get over it. … If Jay thought he was the savior in Denver, that he was beyond getting traded, it was a harsh reality check for him. The thing that makes great players great is they can get over disappointment faster than a normal guy."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2009-03-16-sharpe-cutler_N.htm

Popps
03-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Wow, I didn't know Shannon was in the room when the negotiations went down.

That's weird, because the two parties didn't mention him. So, I'm not sure how Shannon knows what was said.

But, Shannon is entitled to his opinion. He certainly handled his situation like a man. Too bad Cutler won't do the same.

Again, no matter who is "right" here, Jay has a contract and he's telling all of you fans to go **** yourselves because his ego wasn't stroked enough... and/or because he wants to put a gun to the club's head for more $$.

Again, the door is open. All Jay has to do is show up. But, he doesn't want to be here.

You folks have fun chasing him around like scorned boyfriends.

The rest of us will move into the future and root for a QB who is man enough to honor his contract, and wants to be a Denver Bronco.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
But it won't help the McDummy name calling to post everything Sharpe has said. He made very valid points against McDaniels and he has also made very valid points about Cutler

Broncos4tw
03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
I think it's true and ironic that when the team wants to get rid of your pro bowl qb (when all our issues are on defense), it's "business," but then Jay wants to look out for himself, because he is making less than our backup qb, and knows he could be traded at any time, and wants some security.. he is 'disgruntled.'

Popps
03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=RunSilentRunDeep;2338959]Shannon also said:

"Jay Cutler, you are the quarterback of the Denver Broncos. Whether or not you almost got traded, the best thing is to come in, work out, learn the system and move forward," says Sharpe, now a CBS analyst.

and...

"Time can eventually heal this," Sharpe says.
"Jay's going to have to get over it. If Jay thought he was the savior in Denver, that he was beyond getting traded, it was a harsh reality check for him. The thing that makes great players great is they can get over disappointment faster than a normal guy."

No no, see... all that matters is who called who a doo-doo face first, and it was McSatan. He called our Jay a doo-doo head first, and so Jay SHOULD sh*t all over his teammates and fans.

You just don't get it.

Taco John
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
In case people missed it, I tried to transcribe this:

"You had the second worst defense in the NFL... And the new guy comes in and the first thing he wants to get rid of is the pro bowl quarterback... Not trade for Julius peppers. Not bring in Ray lewis... He wants to trade his pro bowl quarterback. That's a problem.

"Why is it when an organization wants to trade a player, it's business... But when a player wants to request a trade he's being disgruntled - he's being a malcontent. You can't have it both ways and say it's a business, and when the player looks out for his own interests, he's a malcontent, disgruntled.

"If I'm Jay Cutler now, I think you have to leave. I don't know either guy. I'm looking at it from this perspective. I've got one of the worst defenses, and my numbers were great - I could have been better, I forced some throws - but with that defense what I had, I didn't get many turnover... I never played on a short field.

"I don't want to speak for Mr. Bowlen. I don't know if he really signed on with this. You mean to tell me that with Bowlen on the hook for $21 million for Mike Shanahan and his staff... You mean to tell me that they've got the kind of money that they can entertain a trade for a $14 million dollar back up quarterback!? If I'm Mike, I"m mad, because there are some defensive players that I could have had with that kind of money, but I couldn't get them!

"You know that Josh had to have had the blessing of the owner on this. Right now, good bad or indifferent, Jay was the face of this organization. Josh McDaniels comes in with the worst defense in football. He doesn't have one guy - he can trade one guy on that defense, Champ Bailey. And the first thing he wants to do is trade the quarterback!? But that's business. But now Jay Cutler says, "OK I want out." And he's being disgruntled!?

"There are some bridges you cross, there are some bridges you burn. This one is burnt. You can't cross back over it. You got to trade him now.

"Can he go to the meetings and stuff... No nononononono. Because then you give him the impression that he won, but you didn't win because I want out. I went through the same thing when Mike tried to trade me in 95. I never trusted Mike again until I got back around the second time around. I understood that Mike just wanted to make his team better by getting rid of me. But I had the last laugh.

"I can't believe that Josh McDaniels would do this... He's a probowl quarterback at 25!"

"See here's the thing. Josh McDaniels lied. You can't start a relationship with a lie, because you have to compound it and constantly lie. He should have admitted it right off the bat. Don't say nobody entertained it. Do you think somebody would call Pittsburgh, New England, Indy, New Orleans, San Diego? They wouldn't even make that call! So you mean to tell me that these teams are going to call out of the blue? No! THEY initiated the trade, and instead of admitting they did, they lie and lie and lie and lie and lie... I wouldn't have called him back either.

If I'm Jay Cutler, I say, I'm going to do you one better. I know you tried to trade me. I'm going to help you get what you wanted.

And don't worry about trading him in the AFC. You've got Bill Bilicheck - he thought so little of Drew Bledsoe that he traded him to the Bills - IN HIS DIVISION! You think so little of Jay Cutler, trade him to anyone. There are plenty of teams in the AFC who will take Jay Cutler on. Don't worry about "I can't trade him in the AFC." You didn't think he could play.

Jay should have let Bus do all the talking, and not talk to the media. Just let Bus come off as the bad guy. Tell Bus, I'm not going back. Make it happen. I'm not going back.

The way I would have handled the situation - If I'm your guy - you love me - Alfred you know how we handle this - give me one of them Roethlisberger quarterback extensions. If you want to make me happy, give me one of them $30 million dollar quarterback guarantees, and I'll think you want me. Other than that, you're looking at (????)

Because the general rule of thumb, he's going to do it again. You know that, Jay Cutler knows that, Josh McDaniels knows Jay Cutler knows that. He's got to go.

And I can't believe Pat Bowlen is letting this 32 year old guy come in and - He knows how long he waited for the moment to get a quarterback to replace #7 - and I'm not saying that he did that. But as far as mobility, as far as arm strength, this guy is the closest thing - and he had him! In ten years he had him! And you allow this guy...

Now last time I checked, all of Bill Bilicheck's assistants have been HORRIBLE! As head coaches, and I'm not saying this guy will be, but they've all been HORRIBLE! And he allowed this guy to do that! This was one of the most stable - granted this team has had it's ebbs and flows, but it's been stable - The DENVER BRONCOS. An now low and behold you spend your entire offseason haggling over this.

I just can't believe this. I want the Broncos win more than anything. I didn't play with one player but Ben Hamilton on that team now. But I want to see them do well. But this guy to upset the cart like he has, I don't think he needed to do that. I mean, Matt Cassel no matter what was going to make $14 million dollars - no matter what. If I'm Mike Shanahan, I'm like HOLD ON!? You mean to tell me that you want to take this guy with one year experience and pay him that kind of money?

Alfred Williams: I've talked to the fellas. I talk to a lot of the fellas. And I haven't heard one guy - not one guy who thinks Jay Cutler is wrong here. Not one guy.

Sharpe: Here's the problem, Josh McDaniels is the quarterbacks coach. So If I'm Jay Cutler, I have to look at this guy every single day KNOWING that this guy stabbed me in the back - he lied to me. This relationship isn't going to work. I think Mr. Bowlen is resigned to the fact that they're going to lose Jay Cutler. But I'm trying to figure out when was a quarterback traded in his prime. Look at Peyton Manning's record his first three years. What was Troy's record his first three years. Don't tell me about his record the first three years.

I know what we've got with this guy. He's got stats among stats. And he played behind a horrible defense that never got turnovers, never gave him a short field.

Sharpe: Bowlen got the guy he wanted. But this didn't have to happen. I just don't think...

Sharpe: I just think Mr. Bowlen is going to have to ride this out. When Josh McDaniels even broached the subject, Bowlen should have put his foot down and said "now look here, you're the man, but don't you evereverevereverever come to me with that crap again."

Jay Cutler is one of the few guys who can make every throw on the field. I work with Dan Marino, and he tells me "man, that kid can spin the ball." and what he means by that "that kid can flat out throw the ball." He doesn't say that - HE DOESN"T SAY THAT about a whole lot of people. This kid can throw the football. You give this kid a defense where he doesn't feel like he has to force the football and throw a touchdown on every play, and you've got a 30+ touchdown guy a season. And he did that with 8 runningbacks, and some of those runningbacks he had - they had no business!

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 01:28 PM

you are supporting Gruden yet railing against McDaniels. Players openly and publicly hate him. You lose your argument when you pull for Gruden. He has little patience with QB's.

GreatBronco16
03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
So he is just covering his own ass by agreeing with both sides.

Perfect.

HEAV
03-17-2009, 01:30 PM
So how did Sharpe feel when Shanny tried trading him to the Cards for Eric Swann?

Luckly the Cards backed-out of the deal. Also what about when Shanny told him "We can't afford your price, better take the Ravens deal."

Shay loves to play both sides. I dig it it's his gig now being a media guy now.

SoDak Bronco
03-17-2009, 01:30 PM
But it won't help the McDummy name calling to post everything Sharpe has said. He made very valid points against McDaniels and he has also made very valid points about Cutler

Just because we aren't in agreement with your view on the whole situation you don't need to drop your snide little comments in every thread. Enough already, it is getting tiresome. :peace:

Rohirrim
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Geez, Sharp sounds like SoCal. ROFL!

24champ
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
The way I would have handled the situation - If I'm your guy - you love me - Alfred you know how we handle this - give me one of them Roethlisberger quarterback extensions. If you want to make me happy, give me one of them $30 million dollar quarterback guarantees, and I'll think you want me.

Of course, Jay's gotta do what Jay's gotta do. If Denver was going to pony up 14 million dollars for a one year wonder QB (far as we know) then they can pay Jay Cutler if they really want him.

Jay comes in after the Pro Bowl to work with Josh, only to be told by the Media later on during the weekend that the Broncos were "listening" to trade offers from 4 teams. (4 teams independently call the Broncos about Jay? I don't buy that.)

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Just because we aren't in agreement with your view on the whole situation you don't need to drop your snide little comments in every thread. Enough already, it is getting tiresome. :peace:

Oh but its okay to drop the same snide remarks against me? Please don't make me laugh.

Circle Orange
Of course shannon's gonna side with the player. If he were coaching the broncos or any other team, he'd sing a different tune, IMO.

Like when Shannon said how great a guy Plummer was as a qb and leader when he was on the team. Later, he ripped the guy saying it was Shanahan's fault for staying with the guy.

Whatever, Shannon.

Taco John
They've got the interview on their website:

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/_themes/images/header_temp.gif

Download the MP3 (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/dynamic/podcasts/scottAndAl/Shannon_Sharp3.mp3)

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
LOL that was quick

SoDak Bronco
03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh but its okay to drop the same snide remarks against me? Please don't make me laugh.

Exactly:thumbsup:

TonyR
03-17-2009, 01:35 PM

You did hear it because I heard the same thing. So Shannon is having it both ways, apparently.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Exactly:thumbsup:

Okay that was funny. And point taken..... :sunshine:

Circle Orange
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Shannon Sharpe = Plastic ;D

barryr
03-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I think Shannon falls in love with talking so much he doesn't even really know what he says. Think first, then speak.

oubronco
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM

I don't blame Jay one bit for being pissed

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Alfred Williams just had a nice comment about how he tends to side with the player and how its nice to get perspective from us average Joe's. It was kind of cool acknowledgement. he also did it without backing off so he isn't backtracking.

DrFate
03-17-2009, 02:01 PM

That's weird, because the two parties didn't mention him. So, I'm not sure how Shannon knows what was said.

But you were, Popps. You've basically been telling us that for weeks. I guess we should start drinking the Kool Aid....

GreatBronco16
03-17-2009, 02:02 PM
The more and more I keep reading about this, the more and more I start to side with Jay.

I know McDaniel wants to improve the team, but seriously, the 'starting' QB spot was not on the list of things to improve on.

Popps
03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't blame Jay one bit for being pissed

People get pissed.

Men find ways to get over it and go back to their jobs.

Popps
03-17-2009, 02:10 PM
But you were, Popps. You've basically been telling us that for weeks. I guess we should start drinking the Kool Aid....

Absolutely not. In fact, my MO has been one of... how can people hate McDaniels when they don't know what was said? There's no solid info out there outside of... Jay got upset, the club wants to get past it.

So, I'm not saying I was there at all. No kool aid, boss. Quite the contrary.

yerner
03-17-2009, 02:14 PM
thanks for the link post. that is a phenomenal interview by sharp. if only for entertainment value.

gunns
03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I've found the opposite. There have been plenty of articles talking about how Jay has no leverage and needs to grow up.

I'm not siding with either side. I think McDaniels has handled this whole thing terribly and Jay has behaved like a spoiled rotten brat and I thought that about him before Shanahan left. But I've also found the majority I'm hearing on the media and fans of other teams is they are siding with Jay.

OBF1
03-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Effff mush mouth. He talks just so he can hear what he has to say. Shannon, STFU

bronco militia
03-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Effff mush mouth. He talks just so he can hear what he has to say. Shannon, STFU

wow! you're an ass!

dog on one of the great Broncos of all time, yet you think no one should call our Broncos "Donks"
:welcome:

oubronco
03-17-2009, 02:48 PM
People get pissed.

and you are right about that but How would you have felt and dealt with it when you were 25 and be honest

elsid13
03-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Good interview.

DeusExManning
03-17-2009, 03:18 PM

nope, they even asked him that and he said that it was natural and Jay should have just let his agent do the talking. There is no growing up.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 03:19 PM
The more and more I keep reading about this, the more and more I start to side with Jay.

Then you're reading but not comprehending. How is this possible? What has Jay done that you side with?
Talk bad about his employer to the press?
Express his side of the story to the press?
Not answer phone calls from the guy who pays him millions?
Threaten not to show up for a team meeting?
Only speak to the organization with your agent present?
Not show up for a team meeting?
Demand a trade?
Put two homes up for sale in the area?

What am I missing here?

Archer81
03-17-2009, 03:23 PM

Uhh, no. You have a situation created by the agent to get his guy a raise or sent somewhere else. Anyone who has a brain in their skull can see that.

:Broncos:

Popps
03-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Then you're reading but not comprehending. How is this possible? What has Jay done that you side with?
Demand a trade?

What am I missing here?

No one has written him a nice enough "take me back" letter.

We need some real sniveling, as fans. I think if we can all lower ourselves to some sort of unified, collective sobbing... it might get it done.

Blueflame
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
So he is just covering his own ass by agreeing with both sides.

Perfect.

There are usually valid points that can be made on both sides of any debate...

CEH
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Mike Shanahan did the same thing 5 years ago when he didn't feel appreciated by Bowlen and brought in his friend Foley to force Bowlen's hand.

This is just how the NFL works. Money talks. It's just business

BroncoBuff
03-17-2009, 03:31 PM

THANK YOU!

Broncos4tw
03-17-2009, 03:36 PM
No one has written him a nice enough "take me back" letter.

We need some real sniveling, as fans. I think if we can all lower ourselves to some sort of unified, collective sobbing... it might get it done.

Do you ignore the business side from the players side on purpose, or is it just more amusing to be snide?

So, it's perfectly fine for the front office to entertain trade talks for the LAST position that needs trading on the team, but it's NOT ok for the QB to try and secure his own career? This is a contract game. They make their living off their contracts, and base their careers on them. If I knew that the head coach was so whimsical as to trade off the LEAST needed positions when we have serious issues on D and special teams, yes, I'd want a longer term contract as well.

But naw... it's BUSINESS if it's the front office, it's EGO if it's the player.

DeusExManning
03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Demand a trade?

What am I missing here?

You are thinking about this as an employee, Jay is a franchise quarterback. If he wants to leave why would he suck up to his employer, he wants to leave because of what Denver did, of course he is acting this way. I side with him in that I understand why he wants to leave. I wished he would stay. You are criticizing him for not sucking up to his employers as if he would want to stay.

Blueflame
03-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Interesting...

spdirty
03-17-2009, 04:05 PM
http://fm1043thefan.com/scottAndAl/podcasts.cfm

rastaman
03-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Don't you get it Barryr! Shannon Sharpe ended up returning to Denver. That means that both Cutler and Shanahan could return to Denver sometime down the road as well. "Never-Say-Never"!!!:giggle:

rastaman
03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Uhh, no. You have a situation created by the agent to get his guy a raise or sent somewhere else. Anyone who has a brain in their skull can see that.

Well why not? McD and Bowlen were willing to trade for Cassell who was making $14 million a year! So why shouldn't Cutler's agent try and get the same deal for Cutler?? After all, the lie that McD is swearing now is.....Hey Cutler....we need you! Your our QB of the future!!

Well talk is cheap---prove it how much you believe Cutler has a long future as a Bronco by resigning him to a long term contract.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Demand a trade?

What am I missing here?

What you are missing is that Cutler wants to be traded! And is using all tactics he can to make it happen.

Simply put.....McDaniels lied too many times. Shannon Sharpe put it in a nutshell:

ENOUGH SAID.......MAKE THE TRADE HAPPEN!!!!!!

Archer81
03-17-2009, 04:30 PM
What you are missing is that Cutler wants to be traded! And is using all tactics he can to make it happen.

Simply put.....McDaniels lied too many times. Shannon Sharpe put it in a nutshell:

ENOUGH SAID.......MAKE THE TRADE HAPPEN!!!!!!

So...when did McDaniels lie? Or are you simply regurgitating Jayspeak from the media?

Archer81
03-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Well why not? McD and Bowlen were willing to trade for Cassell who was making $14 million a year! So why shouldn't Cutler's agent try and get the same deal for Cutler?? After all, the lie that McD is swearing now is.....Hey Cutler....we need you! Your our QB of the future!!

Well talk is cheap---prove it how much you believe Cutler has a long future as a Bronco by resigning him to a long term contract.

How about in 1 season Cassell put up as many wins (11) as Jay has put up in 2 1/4 (17). McDaniels didnt lie. He just didnt tell the player every little innerworkings of the front office. Heaven forbid jay not be told that the secretary at the front desk had a bagle and creamcheese for breakfast. TRADE ME!

rastaman
03-17-2009, 04:35 PM
So...when did McDaniels lie? Or are you simply regurgitating Jayspeak from the media?

When did McDaniels tell the truth? or are you blindly biased and loyal towards ownership and the head coach??

USMCBladerunner
03-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Am I the only one that finds it incedulous that McDaniels wanted to trade Cutler for Cassel and couldn't get that done? I mean NE took a 2nd. You don't think they could have just turned around and traded Cutler away for more than a 2nd.

We are all speculating about this, including Sharpe, but he's right to include the $14+ million in guaranteed cash Cassel had coming to him. This makes it even less likely to me that anyone in Denver was willing to consider a straight up swap. There had to have been additional compensation in the discussion, and how much or how little should have significant impact on the level of "outrage" one should feel about it, including Cutler.

I'm not a McDaniels fanbois here. He's mangled this up every step of the way. But I just don't accept this speculation that he was looking to swap QBs. NE would have been all over that in a heart beat.

From Jay's perspective, he's going to be insulted by this regardless, especially if the lying and breach of trust is real and legitimate. But even he has to realize that this isn't as simple as a Cassel vs. Cutler question.

Archer81
03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
When did McDaniels tell the truth? or are you blindly biased and loyal towards ownership and the head coach??

I follow the team. Not a particular player. Jay right now, is a detriment to the team. No one else but him and his **** buddy are making any noises about anything. Every other player didnt have a problem coming in and talking with the new HC. Take the blinders off man.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 04:39 PM
How about in 1 season Cassell put up as many wins (11) as Jay has put up in 2 1/4 (17). McDaniels didnt lie. He just didnt tell the player every little innerworkings of the front office. Heaven forbid jay not be told that the secretary at the front desk had a bagle and creamcheese for breakfast. TRADE ME!

Those are good points......but remember Jay can play the same game McDaniels was playing.

Archer81
03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Those are good points......but remember Jay can play the same game McDaniels was playing.

Jay is not that smart. This is all Bus Cook.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 04:43 PM
I follow the team. Not a particular player. Jay right now, is a detriment to the team. No one else but him and his **** buddy are making any noises about anything. Every other player didnt have a problem coming in and talking with the new HC. Take the blinders off man.

How is Cutler a detriment to the team?? If anything, McD has shown to all the players that he can't be trusted!!! Now will the players come out and say so....NO. But behind the scenes when Slick McDaniels is not present you can believe the players talk amongst who they can trust about the entire circumstances.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Jay is not that smart. This is all Bus Cook.

Well I wouldn't under estimate Cutler's ability to treat this entire issue as a business from a players perspective. Remember its not just the owner and HC who can play the business card.:thumbs:

Bronco Rob
03-17-2009, 04:48 PM

THIS!

ZONA
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
I think at this point the best thing to do would be just lock Jay up long term. Yeah yeah, if he's playing great, which we hope he does, he'll want another deal in 3 more years paying him even more. That's the frickin NFL today.

But the positive about locking Jay up long term is that if McD can't put a great team on the field in 3 years, send him packing. At least we will still have Jay. I'm talking about a 11-5, 12-4 type of team. If he does, then no worries because we're winning. Jay will have proven he is worth the contract and Josh also.

They say time can heal all wounds but so can money and winning. All 3 together and you got one big happy family.

TotallyScrewed
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM

But, Shannon is entitled to his opinion. He certainly handled his situation like a man. Too bad Cutler won't do the same.

Again, no matter who is "right" here, Jay has a contract and he's telling all of you fans to go **** yourselves because his ego wasn't stroked enough... and/or because he wants to put a gun to the club's head for more $$.

Again, the door is open. All Jay has to do is show up. But, he doesn't want to be here.

The rest of us will move into the future and root for a QB who is man enough to honor his contract, and wants to be a Denver Bronco.

Welcome to last year (substitute Marshall for Cutler).

TotallyScrewed
03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Demand a trade?

What am I missing here?

The REST of the Story. Stand by for Neewws

lex
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM

Since when did QBs become prize fighters?

TonyR
03-17-2009, 04:58 PM
If he wants to leave why would he suck up to his employer...

I'm not expecting him to suck up to his employer. I'm expecting him to show up and do his job, the job his current employer is compensating him approximately $48 million over 6 years to do. Is that really asking so much?

Archer81
03-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Since when did QBs become prize fighters?

Since wins matter more than stats.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
McD and Bowlen were willing to trade for Cassell who was making $14 million a year!

Do we know they were "willing to trade for Cassell"? No, we don't. All we know for sure is that they considered doing so. But they didn't. Jay Cutler is still a Bronco. And until he isn't he should quit his crying and show up for work.

Blueflame
03-17-2009, 05:12 PM

From the post you quoted...

"Don't say nobody entertained it. Do you think somebody would call Pittsburgh, New England, Indy, New Orleans, San Diego? They wouldn't even make that call! So you mean to tell me that these teams are going to call out of the blue? No! THEY initiated the trade, and instead of admitting they did, they lie and lie and lie and lie and lie"

He's saying that other teams simply wouldn't have made cold calls to the front office inquiring about Cutler and that the Broncos were, contrary to what they claim, actively shopping Jay. You can demand proof or allege that Shannon's full of it, but I'd venture that he's much more familiar with everyday operations in an NFL front office than any of us here on the Mane, so I tend to believe him.

lex
03-17-2009, 05:13 PM

Nitwit, in case you werent aware, football is a team sport.

lex
03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Do we know they were "willing to trade for Cassell"? No, we don't. All we know for sure is that they considered doing so. But they didn't. Jay Cutler is still a Bronco. And until he isn't he should quit his crying and show up for work.

He told Peter King they went after Cassel but were too late.

tonngo0
03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
So how did Sharpe feel when Shanny tried trading him to the Cards for Eric Swann?

Luckly the Cards backed-out of the deal. Also what about when Shanny told him "We can't afford your price, better take the Ravens deal."

Shay loves to play both sides. I dig it it's his gig now being a media guy now.

Shanny later also admited the mistake letting Sharpie go.

tonngo0
03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
ok to summarize:
1. The media announced that Cutler was a trade bait for Cassell
2. Cutler cried to the media saying McD did not admit to try to trade him.
3. McD said he never instigated to trade Cutler.
4. Bowlen lost his vocal cord, so couldn't make any statement.
5. Cutler became a bitch and not returning the FO's phone calls (including Bowlen)
6. Cutler and McD met ... instead of build a bridge, they both build each an island.
7. Cutler decided that's it, he wanted to be trade
8. Bowlen all the sudden found his vocal cord and said he is dissappointed in this whole process
9. McD admitted to Peter King that he did intended to trade Cutler for Cassell.
10. ...

Maybe Bowlen should go back and tell Shanny, since I have to pay you anyway, why don't you come back and make yourself useful. Btw, I got you some 3-4 defense coaches that you should have in the begining.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Part of me thinks that even if John Elway came out and said Josh ****ed this all up initially and Bowlen should have ended it quick... that people would say Elway is "old" and "out of touch."

To be fair, if he said Josh was right we'd have the same blow up.

Most of the people on this forum are cemented in their beliefs to the point of extremes on both sides of the spectrum.

PaintballCLE
03-17-2009, 06:53 PM

!

See i think everyone is making a big assumption there...........maybe the other teams did intiate the trade..........they figure a young inexperienced head coach, and a new GM............maybe they could pull a fast one over on them and get cutler.

Hamrob
03-17-2009, 08:26 PM

:Broncos:Dude, do you not read or what? MacDaniels has clearly said...that when the "Deal fell through" we moved on! Initially, he said, that they never tried to trade Cutler. Later he says...the deal fell through.

The guy lied...period! As Sharpe said, he should have just been honest....you can respect that. But, he lied and everybody...but some idiots on this board refuse to believe that happened.

I just don't get...what the hell is the infatuation with this 32yr kid who has done absolutely nothing to earn respect. He's been with us for what 3mos? What the hell has he done...to make people think...we should crap away our franchise QB for?

You are the same people who will be crying and whining about Sims when he starts screwing up!

Hamrob
03-17-2009, 08:32 PM
See i think everyone is making a big assumption there...........maybe the other teams did intiate the trade..........they figure a young inexperienced head coach, and a new GM............maybe they could pull a fast one over on them and get cutler.Then why don't the Broncos clear the air...and let the fans know specifically what took place? Simply come out and say to everyone...we never approached the Bucs or Lions...they came to us. Then, tell us why...you were willing to listen to a deal that would have looked like this:

Pro-bowl QB Jay Cutler and his 1.05m contract for

Matt Cassel and his 14.5m contract and a 3rd round pick

Explain to us...why the hell, we would have even considered such an assinine trade?

Or...tell us that the Bucs and or Lions told us that they would give us 3 #1's and Cassel for Cutler.

They'll never tell us the truth about this...because just as everyone else has already figured out...Mickey-D wanted his High School QB in exchange for a potential HOF player!

Lets' check back in 10 yrs and see what stance all you Mickey-D supporters have then!

24champ
03-17-2009, 08:38 PM
See i think everyone is making a big assumption there...........maybe the other teams did intiate the trade..........they figure a young inexperienced head coach, and a new GM............maybe they could pull a fast one over on them and get cutler.

You really think 4 teams called the Broncos independently about Cutler?

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you...

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Then why don't the Broncos clear the air...and let the fans know specifically what took place? Simply come out and say to everyone...we never approached the Bucs or Lions...they came to us. Then, tell us why...you were willing to listen to a deal that would have looked like this:

Pro-bowl QB Jay Cutler and his 1.05m contract for

Matt Cassel and his 14.5m contract and a 3rd round pick

Explain to us...why the hell, we would have even considered such an assinine trade?

Or...tell us that the Bucs and or Lions told us that they would give us 3 #1's and Cassel for Cutler.

They'll never tell us the truth about this...because just as everyone else has already figured out...Mickey-D wanted his High School QB in exchange for a potential HOF player!

Lets' check back in 10 yrs and see what stance all you Mickey-D supporters have then!

I should add to this that it's been noted that many coaches will think completely irrational in support of players they feel comfortable. Such as the case in wanting Cassel over Cutler on Josh's end. Shanahan was guilty of this crap too. The Paxton for Leach issue should have made it pretty clear of how McDaniels feels. The man loves to feel comfortable with people who are already indoctrinated to his philosophy as well as with personal connections.

I guarantee you the biggest reason Kenny Peterson is still on this team is because of his connection to the entire McDaniels family (granted I thought he did ok last year). Again... coaches make some completely stupid and irrational decisions sometimes and this one just so happened to bit McDaniels in the ass. He did lie, but he also probably thought the truth wouldn't get out and thus the lie would prove better than the truth. When the truth finally surfaced he had to stick to his guns because otherwise he would be contradicting his own message of "everyone is accountable." He finally fessed up the truth to Cutler this past Saturday but did so on a hostile fashion because of his refusal to truly admit he was at fault not so much for trying to get Cassel but for lying about it.

Hamrob
03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Part of me thinks that even if John Elway came out and said Josh ****ed this all up initially and Bowlen should have ended it quick... that people would say Elway is "old" and "out of touch."

To be fair, if he said Josh was right we'd have the same blow up.

Most of the people on this forum are cemented in their beliefs to the point of extremes on both sides of the spectrum.Very good point. I was actually starting to warm to McDaniels until he pulled this crap. Then he tried to take the tough guy approach and it blew up in his face. Regardless of what anyone says, the Broncos Organization is the laughing stock of the entire NFL right now and Pat Bowlen really has nobody to blame but himself.

What is mind boggeling to me though...is that McDaniels can salvage this situation if he truly wants to...and Bowlen could ensure it happens. All McDaniels would have to do is fly out to see Jay...take him for a beer, apologize for not being forthcoming about things...explain why he did what he did and tell Jay...he wants him to be his guy and that if he is willing to work with him...he believes they'll both look back on this whole ordeal and laugh about it. To sweeten the deal...tell Jay...that if he plays his ass off...he'll look to redo his deal next offseason! Then, after they have a great season together, he follows through on his committment and boom...instant credibility again!

If he really wanted to...if the Broncos really wanted to...they could fix this. The problem I have, is...I just can't see how...not fixing it...is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos.

Wake up Bowlen!

BroncoBuff
03-17-2009, 09:21 PM
The REST of the Story. Stand by for Neewws

Nice, rep.

Good ... day?

~Crash~
03-17-2009, 09:25 PM

cheers ..lol I bet our back up/opps starter would not yell cheers...:peace:

hambone13
03-18-2009, 04:52 PM
People get pissed.

Yeah and you should get over being pissed that Jay is pissed.

rastaman
03-18-2009, 05:00 PM
I think at this point the best thing to do would be just lock Jay up long term. Yeah yeah, if he's playing great, which we hope he does, he'll want another deal in 3 more years paying him even more. That's the frickin NFL today.

But the positive about locking Jay up long term is that if McD can't put a great team on the field in 3 years, send him packing. At least we will still have Jay. I'm talking about a 11-5, 12-4 type of team. If he does, then no worries because we're winning. Jay will have proven he is worth the contract and Josh also.

They say time can heal all wounds but so can money and winning. All 3 together and you got one big happy family.

Rep.

rastaman
03-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Well Cutler has won more games than McD has won thus far!! McD has yet to prove he can even have 8-8 season yet!:wiggle:

frerottenextelway
03-18-2009, 05:13 PM

Wow, simply wow.

Northman
03-18-2009, 06:53 PM

I still cant get past your av. Your probably a good poster but sorry.... Ha!

Circle Orange
03-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Shanny later also admited the mistake letting Sharpie go.

Sharpe + Shanahan = superelasticbubbleplastic...they change shape and get blown up.

hambone13
03-18-2009, 07:07 PM

You like to use Sharpe as a justification for your position as long as he's supporting it. Oh wait, no you'll just use any chance you get to pipe up w/ the basically the same quote in every thread as though no one knows your point of view. Just, put "It's Popps, see previous thread....."

All Jay has to do is conduct business as he sees fit. That's all his has to do and is required to do. With fans like you, why would he want to play here on "principal" alone.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Good interview. Am I Shannon Sharpe? My join date is right around his/my retirement time...

Dun dun dun!

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Nope.

Just checked.

Still white.

gadlaw
03-18-2009, 07:13 PM
I agree with most everything that Shannon said. Especially in regards the absurd 'double standard' being applied. He calls out Coach McFail and has an honest opinion on the whole matter. It all sounds like a broken record but it's still as true as ever - Offense is two in the league, Defense near the bottom. Any rational new coach would address the Defense problems and leave the exceptional Offense alone. (except to fire the conditioning coach for the Running Backs since they all snapped like twigs when contact was applied to them) It's just a complete mess, very tiring. It's going to be like the Playoffs for the whole season - watching and cheering on whatever team happens to be on the TV and which ever team appeals to me that day. And not a dollar spend on any Bronco stuff.

Orange_Beard
03-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Shannon Hit that out of the park. I could not agree more.

Circle Orange
03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
If you disagree with Shannon, don't worry. Like the wind he'll change direction soon enough.

His plastic is melting in the hot afternoon sun...:sunshine: