PDA

View Full Version : If you can't have Cutler, who you want under center opening day?

montrose
03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Here's a list of realistic options I came up with:

Chris Simms
Brady Quinn
Derek Anderson
Matt Leinart
Daunte Culpepper
Tarvaris Jackson
John Beck
Kyle Orton
Brian Griese
Jake Delhomme
Jeff Garcia
Byron Leftwich
Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman
Nate Davis

garandman
03-17-2009, 12:52 PM
If I had to pick, I really like Stafford, but it will never happen...

Anaximines
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
poll! I've been curious what people think about this too.... I'd like Quinn, reluctantly.

OABB
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
this thread is depressing....

Anyone that bad mouth's jay, just needs to read the OP, and all will be forgiven. jeez, losing Cutler would be a disaster. a freaking disaster.

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
No John Beck option?

vancejohnson82
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Quinn....once again reluctantly....

the amount of pressure on McDaniels to "prove it" would be immense...

lex
03-17-2009, 12:59 PM
If we have to trade Cutler then McDaniels needs to live up to his ego and draft someone with a low round pick and try to turn him into a good player. Either that or we need to get a FA. Its all kinds of stupid to trade Cutler, a first round talent, only to draft Stafford or Sanchez (both of which are juniors).

montrose
03-17-2009, 12:59 PM
No John Beck option?

Added for the BYU :homer: !

Florida_Bronco
03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Quinn, Sanchez, or Stafford...in no particular order.

24champ
03-17-2009, 01:01 PM
No John Beck option?

Then draft Collie!!!!! Ha!

Florida_Bronco
03-17-2009, 01:01 PM
How about a wildcard....Patrick Ramsey?

Man-Goblin
03-17-2009, 01:02 PM
No Cody Hawkins option?

meangene
I'd like to see Quinn get a shot. Really think he is underrated. He was drafted into a bad situation in Cleveland with Crennel. Guy cut his starter after the first game in 2007 and inserted Anderson. Anderson had a decent season, got a pretty big contract and was handed the starting job last year. Quinn eventually took over as the starter and played well before getting hurt. He has played well whenever he has been given the opportunity. And, he has never once complained about his position on the depth chart or not being the starter. He has the advantage of playing in a similar system to McD's in college. He has all the physical tools. I bet he would surprise.

WolfpackGuy
Just run the f'in Wildcat then.

orange crusher
Peyton Manning

oubronco
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
HELL to the NO on Quinn

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Quinn or Sanchez. Simms if I absolutely have to.

crush17
03-17-2009, 01:10 PM
I really want to see what Simms brings to the table. I believe he can be our starter, and thrive.

Give him a shot.

oubronco
03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Ugh !!!!!!!!

Smiling Assassin27
03-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Quinn
Stafford
Simms

This would be ideal, IMO.

SonOfLe-loLang
If the Broncos trade cutler only to draft a QB in the first round, that scream youll hear will be from me

PRBronco

Chris Simms - ehhh there's worse options
Brady Quinn - i could get on board with mr crotchgrab :thumbsup:
Derek Anderson - matt cassell beta, no thanks
Matt Leinart - might have success working with McD, but I think he probably has the syph by now
Daunte Culpepper-lol no
Tarvaris Jackson-should be a running back
John Beck-just a game manager
Kyle Orton-see john beck
Brian Griese-i think i hate you for mentioning him
Jake Delhomme-nothing left
Jeff Garcia-just not feeling crisp about this
Byron Leftwich-really not that good
Matthew Stafford-jay cutler but with collegiate success?
Mark Sanchez-eww a rookie
Josh Freeman-ewww a bad rookie
Nate Davis-might be ok some day

See my helpful additions above.

Flex Gunmetal
03-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Quinn....once again reluctantly....

the amount of pressure on McDaniels to "prove it" would be immense...

Yes.
Show me this ****show has been worth it, mcclown.

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I would also add Trent Edwards. Buffalo is reportedly in the running.

My thoughts are that we're going to have to go find a game manager and build the rest of the team around the QB position and then reevaluate our options for a franchise QB next draft.

Popps
03-17-2009, 01:19 PM
If Anderson comes for a middle draft pick, I think he's worth a look.

Simms may surprise some people, though. I think he's a dark-horse, here... and if you look at his contract numbers, that's a little better than your average back-up. I think the staff sees him as potentially more than a back-up, as well.

He's a smart guy and takes care of the ball. Not a great arm, but I wonder if he's in the Matt Cassel mode, in the staff's eyes?

Hulamau
03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
I like both these guys and both need a year on the bench and to let McD properly coach them up and get them ready for prime time. Sanchez has a very quick release I like too.

If Jay isn't here then obviously our chances of going deep in the playoffs THIS year are rather slim (maybe even if Jay is here) while we get the D turned around).

But Maybe Simms, who is in top shape now, and got back in the swing of things with the Titans last year and is hungry for a new chance, can more than carry the load and help keep us competitive and things entertaining while one of these two guys is groomed. Both from what little I've read and the two interviews I heard of them, both seem a lot less sullen, and basically much less likely to be arrogant jerks than Jay obviously is.

I dont know about you guys but Id love to have a talented 'winning' QB on a sophisticated offense with a stifling defense who was a decent enough guy and wasn't someone you were felt good about when he got up before a microphone.

So often with Jay he looked like he couldn't be pained to stoop down and answer anyone's questions, his expression on his face often looked like he couldn't wait to get back in the locker room and scratch his hemorrhoids or choke the chicken or something!?

Mark Sanchez

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_rib5nD5P0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_rib5nD5P0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Matt Stafford

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_K23nR5Rsk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_K23nR5Rsk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

gyldenlove
03-17-2009, 01:30 PM
My penis is a better option, the only real knock on him is that he doesn't have a spleen....

Rohirrim
03-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I think Simms is being grossly underestimated. I'd like to see Leinart come in and play against Simms for the job.

Pick Six
03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Matt Ryan

Hotrod
03-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Give me Simms and

http://intoxicologist.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jack_daniels.jpg

worm
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I would also add Trent Edwards. Buffalo is reportedly in the running.

My thoughts are that we're going to have to go find a game manager and build the rest of the team around the QB position and then reevaluate our options for a franchise QB next draft.

This was my initial reaction as well. The Cutler trade should include a projected high #1 next year for the QOTF. Get by on Simms and a vet backup this year.

Tombstone RJ
03-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Chris Simms
Brady Quinn
Derek Anderson
Matt Leinart
Daunte Culpepper
Tarvaris Jackson
John Beck
Kyle Orton
Brian Griese
Jake Delhomme
Jeff Garcia
Byron Leftwich
Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman
Nate Davis

I also like that McGee kid from A&M. I'd take a flyer on him the second day. In fact, drafting a good QB is such a crap shoot that'd I'd prefer to take a chance on a second day QB rather than Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman.

broncofan7
03-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Jeff Garcia Vs Chris Simms in a training camp battle as a 1 year stop gap measure and look hard at Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy in next year's draft.

montrose
03-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Honestly while a lot of these names aren't the best, I'm completely with Taco and Vic Carucci that Cutler isn't the best fit in this offense, regardless of any of the crap going on right now. That's not to say he couldn't play well in it, he might, but it definitely doesn't play to his strengths. I don't think this is a fault of McDaniels, he was hired based on a different philosophy. If anything, we can blame Bowlen for not hiring a guy whose football values mesh with his QB but that's all in the past now.

Some of these guys are so inferior to Cutler in terms of talent that it looks like a huge downgrade but because of the different type of system, it may not be so drastic as it would if Shanny we're still here.

For me, the biggest value of bringing in Cassel was that he was familiar with the entire offense and could run the entire playbook from day one. That's why I'd probably be most interested in Quinn from the guys on this list. Now that's not to say Quinn is fluent in McDaniels offense, but coming from Weis' system at Notre Dame I'd have to think that it's pretty similar. Similar enough that Quinn might have an easier and quicker time picking up the terminology and schemes than some of the other guys on the list. At this point if Cleveland would take Jay and Tony for Quinn, Rogers and the #5 - I'd do it.

My thoughts on the other guys:

* Chris Simms - I don't like the idea of going with him long-term but I think he could at least steady the ship for a few games if we drafted a rookie.
* Derek Anderson - Not so big on him, from the bit I watched of his good season in 2007 - he relied quite a bit on Braylon Edwards to bail him out.
* Matt Leinart - Pretty intriguing. He's had some of the same off-field "habits" that have worried me about Cutler. I think he needs a change of scenery and better coaching.
* Daunte Culpepper - I put him in since Detroit is rumored in so many deals. He's not a very good fit in the system, but I think if he gets his knee fixed and in better shape he'll be better (for Detroit) than some expect.
* Tarvaris Jackson - Not a good fit, we'd be better with Vince Young or Mike Vick and that's not a good thing.
* John Beck - Wouldn't cost too much as he's not a Parcells-draft pick, don't know much about him.
* Kyle Orton - Not a big fan.
* Brian Griese - Technically he could be a fit and he still lives in town, but oh the mutiny.
* Jake Delhomme - Yuck.
* Jeff Garcia - Not a good system fit.
* Byron Leftwich - I hate his release and mechanics so much, how his ankles have survived I'll never know.
* Matthew Stafford - Cutler-like skills which by this logic doesn't make him a good fit.
* Mark Sanchez - Seems to be a nice fit with a lot of talent, but I don't like the idea of another QB in round 1.
* Josh Freeman - I'd be interested in the 2nd round but not the 1st.
* Nate Davis - I really like him as a project for McDaniels, even if we pickup another veteran QB.

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 02:15 PM
I would like Sanchez. I would not like Stafford. He's basically the next JP Lossman.

Tombstone RJ
03-17-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm just really paranoid about Quinn. I don't like him. He's a pretty boy and some of those pics of him well, scare me. I want a tough, smart, team leader who can read defenses, scramble if needed (for positive yardage) and make accurate throws. Is Brady this guy? He's played what, one NFL game?

People like him because he looks the part.

That's exactly what scares me about him. Pretty boy pansy QB. No thanks.

DBBBSBS
03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Jeff Garcia Vs Chris Simms in a training camp battle as a 1 year stop gap measure and look hard at Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy in next year's draft.

I never like to agree with broncofan7... but here i am. I want Simms under the center and garcia and get one more from this year in the 6th or 7th round. I want to see if McD can produce a gem out of him.

Also i dont want any of the same called top QB's from this year. I want to wait if at all from next year's draft. Also if you give me the CAR backup Matt More as a option i would be happy to have him as the backup

Rock Chalk
03-17-2009, 02:30 PM
With the offensive line being as awesome as it is, I think Id like Matt Schaub. Dude is like 6'5" or something and could run McDs offense.

Send Cutler for Schaub and Mario straight up :)

JJJ
03-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Something tells me Sanchez is going to be a good pro player. Just a hunch really. I like the kid's poise. Simms with Sanchez backing up is not a bad way to go.

Blart
03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Johnny Elway!

chawknz
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Brady Quinn

Killericon
03-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Derek Anderson! Followed by Simms, honestly.

spdirty
03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Matt Ryan.

Hallside
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Stafford or Quinn would be my first choices

Los Broncos
03-17-2009, 04:30 PM
McNabb.

Pontius Pirate
03-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Zombie Johnny Unitas

brother love
03-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Jeff Garcia could hold down the fort for a season or two. He would probably do well in McDaniels type of offense.

ayjackson
03-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Derek Anderson! Followed by Simms, honestly.

I agree, if Cleveland's the destination and Anderson wasn't valued higher than a late 3rd early 4th. I'd probably spend another pick on day one on a QB.

I like Edwards from Buffalo as well.

Ratboy
03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
This is depressing.

That list makes me want to kill myself.

I rather bring Rod Smith back and let him play QB.

MechanicalBull
03-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Isn't there a QB out there that recently retired? I think just a few years ago he was on a team that played in a Championship game. :D

Dagmar
03-17-2009, 06:16 PM
At this point if Cleveland would take Jay and Tony for Quinn, Rogers and the #5 - I'd do it.

This.

cartel
03-17-2009, 06:16 PM
If Cutler goes, then screw him. I really wish he wouldn't because he is a hell of a player but he is not bigger than the franchise. If he doesn't want to be a bronco, send him crying somewhere else and hope to get a first this year and next. I'd take a winner like Mccoy or Tebow when they come out to mold into Mcdaniels system. I can't believe it has come to this, I'm so pissed. As for opening day, I'll support Simms as our qb.

lex
03-17-2009, 06:18 PM
If Cutler goes, then screw him. I really wish he wouldn't because he is a hell of a player but he is not bigger than the franchise. If he doesn't want to be a bronco, send him crying somewhere else and hope to get a first this year and next. I'd take a winner like Mccoy or Tebow when they come out to mold into Mcdaniels system. I can't believe it has come to this, I'm so pissed. As for opening day, I'll support Simms as our qb.

No way. If McJerkface is so good that he can chase off 1st round talent QBs, then let him work with lowere round QBs. He should live up to his own ego and take on a project.

BroncoBuff
03-17-2009, 06:23 PM
At this point if Cleveland would take Jay and Tony for Quinn, Rogers and the #5 - I'd do it.

This.
Yes, I've been posting this scenario ... if we MUST trade Jay, Brady Quinn makes very few mistakes and knows Josh's offense, and Shaun Rogers is a Pro-Bowl 3-4 NT. Throw in an elite defender with the 5th pick, and that's reasonable.

rastaman
03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Zombie Johnny Unitas

How about Michael Vick!!!:notworthy

Hercules Rockefeller
03-17-2009, 06:50 PM
This was my initial reaction as well. The Cutler trade should include a projected high #1 next year for the QOTF. Get by on Simms and a vet backup this year.

Hell no. You absolutely do not base your Cutler trade on who you think will have a high 1st round pick next year. What if Jay is the spark they need to make a playoff run? You've just ****ed the Broncos because you put way too much value in a future pick when making the trade.

Reluctantly, Quinn. He's young and can still improve. It will almost certainly involve the 5th overall and something else. That's not a bad haul for the Broncos if they have to trade Jay.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
I hear Ryan Leaf needs a job!

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 07:16 PM

This.

Well... if we have to lose both of them I suppose that would work.

We could trade down our 5th and pick up another 2nd, giving us 2 #1's and 2#2's.

We could then get Jarron Gilbert + Tyson Jackson for our 3-4 DE's along with Sean Smith... and maybe even Moreno or Rashad Jennings out of this.

I'd also look into trading Jay for both of Detroit's #1's... but I'd still rather him just be the man to end this since Josh isn't going to budge on his philosophy or approach.

Man I just want this to END. I wish Jay would just ****ing end this **** since the other side wont. Get your ass to Dove Valley and start working out. If you get traded before draft day then you can b**** again. If not and you have an amazing year then great.

But it's clear based on what Jabar said that even Tom Brady was given **** by the Patriots staff. It's just a part of the Denver coaching mentality now and you have to deal with it.

Rock Chalk
03-17-2009, 07:20 PM
I would like Sanchez. I would not like Stafford. He's basically the next JP Lossman.

Kiper loves Stafford so throw him out with the garbage.

Chase Daniels from Mizzou wouldnt be a bad option if we went QB this year. Or Graham Harrell from Texas Tech. I dont know where either is slotted.

If we wait till next year, Bradford or McCoy would be good options. Probably Bradford over McCoy, that whole Texas thing rubs people wrong though I think McCoy has a higher ceiling as a playmaker. Both are accurate passers, have good arms, and see a lot of the field, McCoy just has better mobility.

razorwire77
03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Chris Simms- I think Simms has the ability to be a serviceable 1-2 year stopgap. Pair him with stud RB, and the offense would be above average.

Brady Quinn- I know people hate him because of his looks, and his ND pedigree and the arrogance, he's gay blah, blah, blah, but kid can flat out play. He doesn't have Jay's ridiculous arm strength, or game experience but his mechanics are better and his arm is above average. I think he's the option with the greatest upside.

Derek Anderson- Had one big year, but in watching the film, I honestly don't think he's much better than Chris Sims.

Matt Leinart-Leinart has all the ego and whiny tendencies of Jay, with less athletic ability and arm strength. Pass
Daunte Culpepper-Still can't plant and deliver the ball with any sort of velocity like he used to. Still makes poor decisions. Pass
Tarvaris Jackson-Pass
John Beck-Could be brought in as a solid backup.
Kyle Orton-On paper, should be a stud QB, but that's why they play the game.
Brian Griese-Go trip on your dog, TD killer
Jake Delhomme-His best days are behind him, but might work as a stopgap
Jeff Garcia-Doesn't really fit the system and his best days are behind him.
Byron Leftwich- Top 5 on my list. Good arm, smart, experienced, although he's sort of a statue.
Matthew Stafford-I feel sorry for whatever team takes this kid at no. 1.
Mark Sanchez-Needs a year to sit and learn, but has the potential to be good.
Josh Freeman-no opinion
Nate Davis-no opinion

Rigs11
03-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Isn't there a QB out there that recently retired? I think just a few years ago he was on a team that played in a Championship game. :D

Hell yes! Bring back the snake!

mosca
03-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I think Rod Smith needs to come out of retirement and take some snaps for us.

Either that, or ... bring back Griese!!!

PaintballCLE
03-17-2009, 08:10 PM
mcnabb?

Drek
03-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm just really paranoid about Quinn. I don't like him. He's a pretty boy and some of those pics of him well, scare me. I want a tough, smart, team leader who can read defenses, scramble if needed (for positive yardage) and make accurate throws. Is Brady this guy? He's played what, one NFL game?

People like him because he looks the part.

That's exactly what scares me about him. Pretty boy pansy QB. No thanks.

You ever actually watch Quinn play football?

He's EASILY the toughest QB in the pocket, in terms of stepping into hits to deliver solid passes and not getting shaken under pressure, of any QB taken in the last five years or so. Only Roethslithberger compares (and he makes some questionable throws as hits come in, he's just big and powerful enough to shake a lot of hits off).

Thats always been Tom Brady's biggest plus as a QB. He'll step into a 300 pound DT blasting into him full bore as long as the pass gets off clean first. Brady Quinn does the exact same thing. He had an OL with two good talents on it in ND but otherwise a lot of big holes and they typically played teams well above their actual talent level. Despite that he kept taking shots and delivering perfect passes.

He's got the pretty boy rep because he can sell it and makes a ton of cash as a result, but on the football field he's more than tough enough.

razorwire77
03-17-2009, 09:05 PM
You ever actually watch Quinn play football?

He's EASILY the toughest QB in the pocket, in terms of stepping into hits to deliver solid passes and not getting shaken under pressure, of any QB taken in the last five years or so. Only Roethslithberger compares (and he makes some questionable throws as hits come in, he's just big and powerful enough to shake a lot of hits off).

Thats always been Tom Brady's biggest plus as a QB. He'll step into a 300 pound DT blasting into him full bore as long as the pass gets off clean first. Brady Quinn does the exact same thing. He had an OL with two good talents on it in ND but otherwise a lot of big holes and they typically played teams well above their actual talent level. Despite that he kept taking shots and delivering perfect passes.

He's got the pretty boy rep because he can sell it and makes a ton of cash as a result, but on the football field he's more than tough enough.

Quinn catches a lot of **** because of the pretty boy reputation, a couple of gay looking Internet pics, the draft drop etc., but I agree with everything you said. Most of the people that think he's soft, or lacks talent, never saw him play. I hate Notre Dame, but Brady will be a good player in this league if given a legit chance. Quinn is extremely strong for a QB, has better mechanics than Cutler does, and has above average arm strength. I'd sure as hell prefer developing Quinn, to starting someone like Jeff Garcia.

PaintballCLE
03-17-2009, 09:16 PM
the only thing that scares me about quinn..........is that the coaches in cleveland dont see enough in him to give him the starting job over anderson

Drek
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
the only thing that scares me about quinn..........is that the coaches in cleveland dont see enough in him to give him the starting job over anderson

And they've shown any offensive know how when?

I mean, they caught what now look like the career years for Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Derek Anderson, the last hurrah of Jamal Lewis, a great rookie season (that he played down form in '08) out of Thomas, and a nearly perfectly healthy offense as a whole in '07. If thats what you need to be successful you won't get very far in this league.

Also, last year was only Quinn's second season and he would've probably been the starter for the entire second half if he didn't get hurt.

He's got a lot of good talents, you give him our OL, with Marshall and Royal to throw to, and McDaniels running the plays? Thats a damn good setup to have.

ak1971
03-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Im still voting for BVP

Hamrob
03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Quinn
Stafford
Simms

Pony Boy
03-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Bring back the real #6 The Bubster "Bubby Brister"

Elway777
03-18-2009, 02:48 AM
I would like Matt Schaub from Hoston. Schaub had a 92.7 Qb rating plus had a 8.O yards per pass . Cutler had a 86 % qb but only had a 7.3 per pass. I think the Broncos could get Schaub plus the 15 pick for Cutler. Culter has more upside plus less likely to get injuried. The Broncos could look at Sanchez with 12 pick or want to next year to get a Qb of future.

Ramathorn
03-18-2009, 04:08 AM
Why has nobody brought up #4 Brett Favre. We all know he doesnt want to be retired. Trade cutler for some players and picks, not a qb, and then pick up favre for 1 year to hold down the fort until we can draft a qb next year?

Broncoman13
03-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Brady Quinn. A guy that has an above average arm and can make all of the throws. He's not the most accurate QB but does have the ability and has shown that he can anticipate routes. The game has not slowed down for him yet which is a concern, but also due to not having enough field time.

Mark "dirty" Sanchez would be my second choice in all honesty. He seems to be the most accurate of the bunch and he is already pretty media savvy. Whoever takes this position is going to be under a ton of scrutiny.

Really it's going to be tough on our next QB. He will still be living in the shadows of Elway and then he'll have to hear that we 'had' our franchise QB and we 'ran' him out of town. Tough position to be in, perhaps as tough as what Griese had!

BroncoInSkinland
03-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Got to go with Quinn, though the real deal maker there is getting Rogers in the pakage with him. I don't think Quinn will be in Cutlers league in the long run, but he will turn into a very good game manager in the NFL at some point in time.

As a side note for those wishing for Anderson, my fiancee is a browns fan, I have seen almost as many Anderson games as I have Cutler games, trust me you don't know what you are asking for. Anderson has a heck of an arm, but no descision making capabilities and is unable to throw accurate short passes. Once he was figured out and opposing DC's game planned for him he was instrumental in a 4-12 Browns season. Just say no to Derek.

Broncoman13
03-18-2009, 06:43 AM

This.

I'd do that trade. Wouldn't think twice about it!

You have a franchise type QB in Quinn. You have a DT that can play in a rotation. And you have a very early pick that allows you to move around in the draft quite effectively. That #5 spot is a great spot in this draft, IMO. Maybe you luck out and Curry falls to you there. If not, there are going to be a few teams that will have an interest in the top tier OTs. Monroe, Smith, etc. Finally, you have the QBs that could entice a team or two. The Jets are said to be high on Freeman, but if Stafford is there at #5 they may be willing to make a blockbuster deal for him. Worst case scenario, we draft a guy like Crabtree or Maclin and have an abundance of weapons on offense.

IMO, the most ideal scenario right now for Jay Cutler (and Scheff) is to send them to Cleveland for Quinn, Rogers, and #5. Second would be a trade of #20, #33 and next year's #1 to the Lions.

This much is certain, time to trade Jay Cutler for as much value as possible.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Who wouldn't want this as the face of their franchise?!?!?

http://sportscracklepop.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/brady.jpg

http://206forthetwenties.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/586-gay1.jpg

Mogulseeker
03-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Im still voting for BVP

You know, I had high hopes for that guy.

I guess he still exceeded everybody's expectations by even making the NFL.

Mogulseeker
03-18-2009, 06:48 AM

WTF?

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 06:51 AM
WTF?

OH YOU DIDN'T KNOW?!?! You better call somebodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

thumpc
03-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Its settled, McNabb it is!

TheReverend
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Fantastic thread. Only mention of Orton that I saw in my skim: * Kyle Orton - Not a big fan.

DBroncos4life
01-28-2010, 05:58 PM
I remember thinking how can anyone like Simms period. We paid out the ass for him.

Circle Orange
01-28-2010, 07:53 PM
John Elway with a newer body and left knee. :rofl:

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I remember thinking how can anyone like Simms period. We paid out the ass for him.

we gave him 3 million dollars for the season right, why did he get so much money to be a backup, and a ****ty one at that?

oubronco
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I didn't see anyone doing backflips for Orton but a few were for Simms.......Interesting

DBroncos4life
01-28-2010, 09:12 PM
we gave him 3 million dollars for the season right, why did he get so much money to be a backup, and a ****ty one at that?

Dude I don't know. I don't think any other team would have given him half that to be the back up. He was going to make more then Cutler was during the season too.

misturanderson
01-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Chris Simms
Brady Quinn
Derek Anderson
Matt Leinart
Daunte Culpepper
Tarvaris Jackson
John Beck
Kyle Orton
Brian Griese
Jake Delhomme
Jeff Garcia
Byron Leftwich
Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman
Nate Davis

Does anyone think that Orton wasn't the best choice from this list? Aside from the two top-10 rookies that still performed much worse than he did this year.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
01-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Gary Wood
http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Wood-Gary-m.jpg

Hulamau
01-29-2010, 05:44 AM
I know another Bears report but its offseason .. it slow ... and I'm not much of a Bears fan in any event. :-) Good luck on year two Jay!

Too bad we cant swap next year's first round pick with them and pick their pockets again.

Bears lose another offensive coordinator candidate
Posted by Mike Florio on January 28, 2010
OK, now it's getting ridiculous.

In their effort to hire a new offensive coordinator, the Bears have been swinging and missing more than Barry Bonds in a blindfold.

So they've lowered their expectations, and they're still striking out.

Recently, Pitt offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti emerged as a candidate. And Cignetti now says he's staying put at Pitt.

Pitt released a statement on Thursday evening from Cignetti.

"My return to Pitt last year was the realization of a longtime personal and professional goal," Cignetti said. "It was made even more gratifying by the outstanding season we enjoyed. I couldn't be more fortunate to work for Dave Wannstedt and coach these great kids. Despite recent reports connecting my name with other jobs, I am wholeheartedly committed to being at Pitt and continuing to establish our program among the nation's very best."

In other words, the Bears will have to keep looking.

Coincidentally, Cignetti's current boss served as head coach of the Bears from 1993 through 1998, generating a record of 41-57.

watermock
01-29-2010, 06:36 AM
maybe yj oldman

Dick Vermeil.

VRmm

an

Man-Goblin
01-29-2010, 07:06 AM
I know another Bears report but its offseason .. it slow ... and I'm not much of a Bears fan in any event. :-) Good luck on year two Jay!

Too bad we cant swap next year's first round pick with them and pick their pockets again.

In their effort to hire a new offensive coordinator, the Bears have been swinging and missing more than Barry Bonds in a blindfold.

Recently, Pitt offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti emerged as a candidate. And Cignetti now says he's staying put at Pitt.

"My return to Pitt last year was the realization of a longtime personal and professional goal," Cignetti said. "It was made even more gratifying by the outstanding season we enjoyed. I couldn't be more fortunate to work for Dave Wannstedt and coach these great kids. Despite recent reports connecting my name with other jobs, I am wholeheartedly committed to being at Pitt and continuing to establish our program among the nation's very best."

Coincidentally, Cignetti's current boss served as head coach of the Bears from 1993 through 1998, generating a record of 41-57.

This kind of reminds me of the Tiger Woods mistress story. Every day there's another one or two.

Eventually, they're going to get to me. I'll take the job, and run it every down. **** you, Jay.

colonelbeef
01-29-2010, 07:13 AM

Because McDaniels is not capable of judging QB talent, unfortunately.
He has proven this 3x now by overvaluing Cassel, undervaluing Cutler, and the signing of Simms, who was not ready to play in an NFL game. His misjudgment of Orton's overall talent is disheartening as well

Pick Six
01-29-2010, 09:18 AM
He has proven this 3x now by overvaluing Cassel, undervaluing Cutler, and the signing of Simms, who was not ready to play in an NFL game. His misjudgment of Orton's overall talent is disheartening as well

Wrong. Simms was horrible in his one start this season, but he actually has NFL game experience prior to this season...

BroncoBuff
01-30-2010, 03:13 PM

That's all true, but what were the alternatives? Jason Campbell? Tarvaris Jackson?

And sure Cassel did suck in KC, but who's to say he might not have done well here with Josh in the same system? I think Matt would've done very well here ... about the same as Orton did.

TonyR
01-30-2010, 03:14 PM
That's all true, but what were the alternatives? Jason Campbell? Tarvaris Jackson?

And yes Cassel sucked in KC, but who's to say he might not have done well here with Josh in the same system? I think Matt would've done very well here ... about the same as Orton did.

100% agree, and I'm not so sure he undervalued Cutler. I am completely disappointed in Simms, however, and McD deserves some blame for that decision.

BroncoBuff
01-30-2010, 03:29 PM
100% agree, and I'm not so sure he undervalued Cutler. I am completely disappointed in Simms, however, and McD deserves some blame for that decision.

I suppose ... but again, what were the alternatives? The league-wide quality QB depth is very very low. There's maybe 20 guys - 25 tops - who are competent and consistent enough to give their team ANY chance at post-season play. And most of those 25 would need a powerful defense to lean on ...

BroncoBuff
01-30-2010, 03:32 PM

That is too creepy for words ...

On the one hand, I'm curious wtf all that's about ... but on the other hand I don't want to know.

Whatever the heck that is, it makes the Simms-Shanahan-Scaife tattoos seem macho :strong:

KipCorrington25
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
He overvaluing Cassel,

Is that possible?

Circle Orange
01-31-2010, 09:28 AM

*can't stop laughing.* !Booya!

colonelbeef
01-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Wrong. Simms was horrible in his one start this season, but he actually has NFL game experience prior to this season...

Dude, reading comprehension. Not ready to play in an NFL game, currently. Obviously he has played in games before, but that has no bearing whatsoever on this season and his total failure when asked to play for Orton, and that falls squarely on McDaniels, the supposed QB guru.

colonelbeef
01-31-2010, 09:47 AM

And sure Cassel did suck in KC, but who's to say he might not have done well here with Josh in the same system? I think Matt would've done very well here ... about the same as Orton did.

I am sure he would have, the Broncos had the best young OL and receivers in the league headed in 2009, most teams would have killed for the starting O outside of QB.

Cassel was way overrated coming off of a half decent year in which he lead a previously 16-0 team to 6 less wins, and although he hadn't been the starter prior to that, he had all of the time in the world to get comfortable in a QB-stat friendly system. I wasn't very impressed with him in 2008, and he proved that his ceiling is quite limited this year imo

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Cassel actually would have done well here in Denver. I like how he delivers the ball to his receivers. I'm tending to think Cassel has a brighter future than Orton.

DenverBrit
01-31-2010, 01:29 PM

Has Jay turned Chicago into the NFC's version of Oakland? Ha!

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Has Jay turned Chicago into the NFC's version of Oakland? Ha!

It's interesting to see the turmoil in Chicago, and Cutler is at the center of the turmoil. Check out the Chicago Tribune webpage.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/

gyldenlove
01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
I am sure he would have, the Broncos had the best young OL and receivers in the league headed in 2009, most teams would have killed for the starting O outside of QB.

Cassel was way overrated coming off of a half decent year in which he lead a previously 16-0 team to 6 less wins, and although he hadn't been the starter prior to that, he had all of the time in the world to get comfortable in a QB-stat friendly system. I wasn't very impressed with him in 2008, and he proved that his ceiling is quite limited this year imo

Cassel is a sprocket, if you insert him into a well functioning machine he won't break it, but he is not a guy who will drive an offense on his own. He is slow in his progressions, his delivery is some times erratic and he doesn't control the defense, he goes to his first read a lot and that fails he dumps the ball, he is not a guy wo is going to find the open guy quickly and get the ball out or use fakes and look off the defense to manipulate the coverage.

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 02:06 PM
From the Chicago Tribune:

Is Cutler the issue in Bears' OC search?
January 26, 2010 9:07 PM | No Comments
By Brad Biggs

MOBILE, Ala.--The perception at the Senior Bowl is the Bears can't give away their offensive-coordinator job right now.

Not after Hue Jackson did a 180 before traveling to Chicago Monday night, opting to join the Oakland Raiders before even meeting with the Bears.

The job represents an opportunity for a coach to come in and work with a young former Pro Bowl quarterback in Jay Cutler. Yet, San Deigo assistant Rob Chudzinski backed out of consideration over the weekend following an interview last week. Like Jackson, Jeremy Bates, who ended up in Seattle, wouldn't show up to interview and he worked with Cutler previously in Denver.

Another man who worked with Cutler as a member of the Broncos staff is Tennessee offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger. He called Cutler a valuable asset for any play-caller and remains a big fan of the quarterback. Heimerdinger didn't see why Cutler would be a deterrent for any potential candidates, one of the theories that has circulated here this week.

"I thought he was an easy guy to manage and work with," Heimerdinger said. "I had no problem with him. I think he makes it easier because he's going to tell you how he feels. He's going to communicate what he likes and what he doesn't like. When he does that, it always makes it easier for the coordinator so you can get on the same page."

So the job would be a no-brainer for anyone looking to be a coordinator?

"I don't know all the things that go with it so I would be a bad guy to ask," Heimderdinger said. "The quarterback is very talented and that's about all I know about the whole situation. He's a good quarterback."

DenverBrit
01-31-2010, 02:13 PM
From the Chicago Tribune:

Is Cutler the issue in Bears' OC search?
January 26, 2010 9:07 PM | No Comments
By Brad Biggs

Not after Hue Jackson did a 180 before traveling to Chicago Monday night, opting to join the Oakland Raiders before even meeting with the Bears.

You know there's a problem when a coach would rather work for Al Davis.

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Cassel is a sprocket, if you insert him into a well functioning machine he won't break it, but he is not a guy who will drive an offense on his own. He is slow in his progressions, his delivery is some times erratic and he doesn't control the defense, he goes to his first read a lot and that fails he dumps the ball, he is not a guy wo is going to find the open guy quickly and get the ball out or use fakes and look off the defense to manipulate the coverage.

Cassel is actually a pretty good QB. He has a bright future, I expect to see him in the NFL as a starter for the next 8 years.

sixtimeseight
01-31-2010, 03:05 PM

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/3377/original/super-cool-story-bro.png?1244744947

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Chicago Tribune:

January 30, 2010 9:28 PM | 5 Comments
By Dan Pompei and Brad Biggs

The Bears and Mike Martz may have taken another step up the aisle Saturday when Martz traveled to Nashville to have dinner with quarterback Jay Cutler, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

If the meeting went well, it's possible Martz could be announced as the Bears offensive coordinator in the very near future.

The former head coach of the Rams met with coach Lovie Smith, general manager Jerry Angelo and assistant coaches on Friday. Concerns about Martz passing too much for the Bears' liking appear to have been allayed.

Cutler's endorsement is an interesting piece of the puzzle. He has been involved in the interview process with previous candidates, and he initially was lobbying hard for the team to hire Jeremy Bates, his old quarterbacks coach with the Broncos.

Get the full story: Martz meets with Bears QB Cutler on Saturday.

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
You know there's a problem when a coach would rather work for Al Davis.

Good point. At least Davis signs the checks.