PDA

View Full Version : Lions know they may have small window of opportunity to trade for Jay Cutler

Taco John
03-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Lions know they may have small window of opportunity to trade for Jay Cutler
by Tom Kowalski | Opinion
Tuesday March 17, 2009, 11:32 AM
There isn't much information coming from "upstairs'' at the Allen Park facility, but it's a fair bet that Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew is trying to put together an offer the Denver Broncos can't refuse. The Lions are interested in trading for disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler, but they know they may have a small window of opportunity to try to convince the Broncos to make a deal.

Even with all of his faults, Cutler is still considered one of the bright young quarterbacks in the NFL and the Broncos would be foolish to part ways with him. But Cutler is still seething because Denver's new head coach, Josh McDaniels, tried to acquire Matt Cassel in a deal a couple of weeks ago. According to NFL.com, the Lions were one of the teams interested in trading for Cutler at that time. Cutler wants out of Denver and the Broncos' attempts to mend fences haven't gone well.

The Lions are trying to capitalize on the uncertain situation with the hope that the Broncos might believe the quarterback-coach relationship is forever tainted. The Broncos, meanwhile, are trying to repair the damage and, if that happens, the Lions know a trade becomes much more unlikely.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/03/lions_know_they_have_small_win.html

Taco John
03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm hoping that this is the mindset of the Bucs, Niners, and Jets... "We've got to act quick and beat everybody else to the punch! Put together an offer they can't refuse!"

supermanhr9
03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
That's what I'm hoping for, I hope the Browns jump in this mess

Pseudofool
03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
A hyper-bidding war would be grand.

garandman
03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
It would be a huge mistake to trade Cutler quickly, those offers will be there all the way up to the draft, in fact, they will only get better...

Hotrod
03-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Ricky Williams type of trade please :)

long beach bronco
03-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I would never trade Jay, he hasn't even reached his prime yet. Give this guy some defense that makes a few stops and we have ourselves a Super Bowl contender led by a franchise QB. Although if Detroit parts ways with Calvin Johnson, this years 1round (2oth overall) and next years #1, I would have to make that deal, and only that deal, nothing less than that.

Hotrod
03-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I would never trade Jay, he hasn't even reached his prime yet. Give this guy some defese that makes a few stops and we have ourselves a Super Bowl contender led by a franchise QB. Although if Detroit parts ways with Calvin Johnson, this years 1round (2oth overall) and next years #1, I would have to make that deal, and only that deal, nothing less than that.

While I agree it all depends on if Jay is going to force it to happen or not.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm hoping that this is the mindset of the Bucs, Niners, and Jets... "We've got to act quick and beat everybody else to the punch! Put together an offer they can't refuse!"

Exactly kind of bidding against themselves as they are feeling pressure so they are inflating things.

But I still hope that this can be mended and Jay AND McD can grow from this together.

NFLBRONCO
03-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Draft day eve or Draft day is when deal should be made if they do move him.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Draft day eve or Draft day is soonest deal should be made if they do move him.

Unless its a crazy Hershal Walker deal. But after day one of the draft if no deal has been made it isn't going to be.

Smiling Assassin27
Let's fleece SOMEBODY, damn it...

Hotrod
Draft day eve or Draft day is soonest deal should be made if they do move him.

I'm not so sure. Maybe I'm wrong but it would be to both teams advantage to move Jay since he would be learning a new system. I'd rather get it done if its going to happen so I can start shaping my stratagy post Babyface errr Jay

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm not so sure. Maybe I'm wrong but it would be to both teams advantage to move Jay since he would be learning a new system. I'd rather get it done if its going to happen so I can start shaping my stratagy post Babyface errr Jay

Nope just put him number 2 on the depth chart as he will be behind. Really he isn't missing anything with OTA's right now as they are lifting and running. Its later on that will start to hurt.

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 09:30 AM

I'll admit, as unfortunate as this situation is, when I read that line I smiled.

I'd give them Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler for both their firsts and Calvin Johnson. They get the plays he has chemistry with and we get a receiver and compensation.

Rabb
03-17-2009, 09:33 AM
I'll admit, as unfortunate as this situation is, when I read that line I smiled.

I'd give them Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler for both their firsts and Calvin Johnson. They get the plays he has chemistry with and we get a receiver and compensation.

:thumbsup:

atomicbloke
03-17-2009, 09:37 AM

You want to completely destroy our offense?

I guessed I missed your sarcasm.

worm
03-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I wonder if this puts more pressure on the Broncos draft?

Denver already is short key participants in this draft process...and now instead of just preparing for their picks and a few select targets that they would move up or down for, they have to be set to select some high picks anywhere and everywhere in the 1st-2nd rounds when pulling the trigger on a trade for Cut or Shef.

This will need to be the most prepared and flexible draft in Broncos history. All done with a backdrop of the current soap opera with new\reduced key staff members in an accelerated time window.

The risk seems high when so much is at stake for the future of this team.

BroncoInferno
03-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Send us #1, #20, and #33 and you've got a deal Lions. Or #1, #20, and #1 next year.

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 09:39 AM

Missed in all this is Scheffler whining and wanting leave. No one lied to him, he just doesn't want to be here.

And Marshall? What is this, his fourth Arrest in two years? All beating on women? I hope he never plays for us again.

worm
03-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Missed in all this is Scheffler whining and wanting leave. No one lied to him, he just doesn't want to be here.

Gee.....who is his agent again?

rugbythug
03-17-2009, 09:42 AM

CJ is better than BM. So we would be ahead there. And Scheffler is gone no matter how you slice it.

24champ
03-17-2009, 09:43 AM
We don't have the Goodmans drafting for us anymore, so I'm not sure about getting a ton of picks is the way to go.

If those picks do not pan out, it will be the biggest mistake in Denver history.

2KBack

sarcasm my ass, you take that deal 10 times outta 10. A malcontent QB, a reciever that can't stay out of the police blotter, and a TE that can't stay on the field for 2 firsts and the most physically talented Wr in the game today.

ColoradoDarin
#20, #33, a 3rd (either one) and next year's #1

and we'll have to throw in a 6th of course

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 09:44 AM

That's kind of my point. Bus Cook is a douche bag, but they're choosing to listen to him.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 09:45 AM

Even funnier is something I thought about today. It was reported Cutler and Scheffler were skipping the meeting. But all of a sudden Scheffler "decided" to attend the meeting. Wonder if he was taking notes about what they said about Cutler..........

Rohirrim
03-17-2009, 09:45 AM
The closer we get to draft day, the hotter this becomes.

24champ
03-17-2009, 09:47 AM

Hmm, the Niners stick out to me...if Jay is traded to San Fransisco, it would quickly be a prime destination for Shanny next offseason.

watermock
03-17-2009, 09:47 AM
I expect the skill positions to be decimated soon, including Hillis, sans Royal.

rugbythug
03-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I expect the skill positions to be decimated soon, including Hillis, sans Royal.

Marshall is removing himself. And Scheffler only plays >50% of the time anyway.

Rohirrim
03-17-2009, 09:52 AM
If this relationship can't be mended and Jay has to go, I hope it's Detroit. If he thought he had a lot to whine about here in Denver, just wait til he hits Detroit. ;D

cabronco
03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I dont think the Broncos want to spend all that money on a #1 pick this year. Especially for whats coming out of this draft. I think next year would be better for getting a good qb, unless McD grooms one out of the later rounds, or gets one in a trade this year, that again nothing looks attractive. If we have to trade Jay, get all the D help we can get or picks and a 1st for next year to get a QB.

NFLBRONCO
03-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Send us #1, #20, and #33 and you've got a deal Lions. Or #1, #20, and #1 next year.

How about #20 #33 2010 #1 for Cutler. I would doubt Denver would want #1 overall money wise. I have a feeling its going to be for players and a pick.

DeuceOfClub
03-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Cutler + Scheffler for Jon Kitna, Roy Williams, Tatum Bell and Rob Marinelli.

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/d6/unsecured/media/196217268/196217268_1703431390_AMC-MP-Starsky-Hutch-BenOwen.jpg
DO IT!!!

Majik
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM

It's too bad Detroit had to go and fire Matt Millen.

LonghornBronco
03-17-2009, 10:23 AM
As a minimum it's going to take.

Five players
3 firsts
3 seconds
a third
a sixth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 10:25 AM
As a minimum it's going to take.

Five players
3 firsts
3 seconds
a third
a sixth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

Jesus I can't believe that trade actually happened. That would never happen today unless the name involved Brady or Manning.

barryr
03-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Cutler and his agent can demand a trade all they want, but the Broncos are in control since there is a contract in place.

If the Broncos really get a deal too good to pass up, then by all means, but if they don't, they don't have to give away Cutler just because Cutler and his agents' panties are in a knot.

If he doesn't report, put him on the suspended list, have that roster spot, and move on. If Cutler really wants to sit out and hurt his future contracts, then so be it.

ZONA
03-17-2009, 10:26 AM

That almost sounds good but not good enough. Marshall may have some off the field problems but he's as good as CJ right now. They each have a few different areas where they excel more then the other guy. Johnson is faster but Marshall is bigger and more physical and is maybe the best WR in the league after the catch. I would say those two are a straight swap. Then we give them Jay and Scheffler for 2 1st round picks? Not enough. The would need to throw in a 2nd or 3rd round pick also.

But I doubt Detroit gives up CJ. They are probably licking their chops at the hopes Cutler would be throwing to CJ.

LonghornBronco
03-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Or maybe All 7 picks this year and a first and third next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Williams#Professional_career

gyldenlove
03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Here is a trade for them, Detroit trade #20 and #65 to Arizona, Arizona trades Anquan Boldin, Matt Leinart and #95 to Denver who trade Jay Cutler and Tony Scheffler to Detroit.

Arizona gets a 1st round pick for Boldin and a high 3rd for Leinart.

Detroit gets a top QB, and keeps the #1 so they can draft a LT as well as a recieving TE that they really need.

Denver gets the strongest groups of WRs in the league (Boldin, Royal, Marshall, Stokley, Gaffney), a QB who fits the mold of a Mcdaniels QB (noodle arm but decent instincts and decisions on the field) and a 3rd round pick.

socalorado
03-17-2009, 10:30 AM

And Marshall? What is this, his fourth Arrest in two years? All beating on women? I hope he never plays for us again.

:thumbsup:

LonghornBronco
03-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Or how about?

Three players
3 number ones
3 number twos

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/decades/1980s/eric_dickerson.jsp

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Here is a trade for them, Detroit trade #20 and #65 to Arizona, Arizona trades Anquan Boldin, Matt Leinart and #95 to Denver who trade Jay Cutler and Tony Scheffler to Detroit.

Arizona gets a 1st round pick for Boldin and a high 3rd for Leinart.

Detroit gets a top QB, and keeps the #1 so they can draft a LT as well as a recieving TE that they really need.

Denver gets the strongest groups of WRs in the league (Boldin, Royal, Marshall, Stokley, Gaffney), a QB who fits the mold of a Mcdaniels QB (noodle arm but decent instincts and decisions on the field) and a 3rd round pick.

You would see the biggest flip in the history of the mane if they did that. I would be seeling Fire McD shirts at Mile High before the game. Just say no to leinart. The guy thinks he is too hollywood.

Traveler
03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
For the last 6 years, I've bypassed watching the draft. This may be the year I actually watch it.

Even with all his crying, I hope they can work it out and he stays. But he persists, we need to hold tight until we get the deal we want.

Beantown Bronco
03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Cutler and his agent can demand a trade all they want, but the Broncos are in control since there is a contract in place.

If you are talking "trade", then by definition there is always a contract in place. You can't trade free agents.

Having a contract in place is not the be all end all qualification for being "in control." Plenty of guys that are under contract find themselves in control of a situation over the teams that supposedly hold the rights to them.

Beantown Bronco
03-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Just say no to leinart. The guy thinks he is too hollywood.

Not that I'm in favor of bringing in Leinart, but he's been in the news a lot less than Cutler or Marshall the last year or so. And that's saying something, considering his team was in the SB this past year. I'll give him credit. He handled that situation about as well as anyone could've hoped for.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Nothing terribly new here but a couple of interesting points.

QUINN, LEINART ARE THE BEST OPTIONS FOR THE BRONCOS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2009, 9:49 a.m. EDT
As part of our Monday item for SportingNews.com, we looked at the Broncos’ options for trading quarterback Jay Cutler.

Ideally, the Broncos would emerge from such a transaction with a starting quarterback in whom the fans and the local media have faith – a guy who creates the same kind of buzz in Denver that Cutler would cause in his new NFL city.

The problem is that the options are limited, because there simply aren’t many quarterbacks who could generate such excitement and who aren’t currently entrenched on their current rosters.

We’ve identified two realistic possibilities: Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart.

We’ve previously reported that the new regime in Cleveland won’t be handing the starting job to Quinn. We’ve also reported that coach Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis are believed to be interested in Cutler.

But would Denver want Quinn?

He played for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, and Weis worked with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels in New England. Surely, there are at least some similarities between the system Quinn ran in college and the one McDaniels is implementing in Denver.

As to Leinart, we pointed out at SportingNews.com that he could land in Denver as part of a three-team trade that sends Cutler to a team like the Lions, Vikings, Jets, or Buccaneers.

Though there’s no obvious connection between McDaniels and Leinart, the fact that McDaniels helped developed Leinart’s understudy at USC into a $14.65-million-dollar-man could make both coach and quarterback intrigued about what they might be able to accomplish together.

Regardless, the Broncos can’t afford to trade Cutler and to rely on a first-round rookie like Mark Sanchez or an aging veteran like Jeff Garcia. If they do, McDaniels’ time in Colorado could be cut short.

So the best options for getting out of this bad situation seem to be Quinn and Leinart. But, like so many other things that make perfect sense, don’t count on either transaction occurring.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/17/quinn-leinart-are-the-best-options-for-the-broncos/

barryr
03-17-2009, 10:43 AM
If you are talking "trade", then by definition there is always a contract in place. You can't trade free agents.

Having a contract in place is not the be all end all qualification for being "in control." Plenty of guys that are under contract find themselves in control of a situation over the teams that supposedly hold the rights to them.

Nope, the team does have the control, it's just teams panic and make a move because they think they have to make a deal to save face. The Broncos do not have to make any deal. Cutler has a binding contract, plain and simple. If he wants to sit out and cost himself money and rep., then he can choose so. The Packers were ready to move on without Favre, so Cook got what he wanted, though doesn't look like things ended well with Favre in the end.

socalorado
03-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Nothing terribly new here but a couple of interesting points.

QUINN, LEINART ARE THE BEST OPTIONS FOR THE BRONCOS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2009, 9:49 a.m. EDT
As part of our Monday item for SportingNews.com, we looked at the Broncos’ options for trading quarterback Jay Cutler.

Ideally, the Broncos would emerge from such a transaction with a starting quarterback in whom the fans and the local media have faith – a guy who creates the same kind of buzz in Denver that Cutler would cause in his new NFL city.

The problem is that the options are limited, because there simply aren’t many quarterbacks who could generate such excitement and who aren’t currently entrenched on their current rosters.

We’ve identified two realistic possibilities: Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart.

We’ve previously reported that the new regime in Cleveland won’t be handing the starting job to Quinn. We’ve also reported that coach Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis are believed to be interested in Cutler.

But would Denver want Quinn?

He played for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, and Weis worked with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels in New England. Surely, there are at least some similarities between the system Quinn ran in college and the one McDaniels is implementing in Denver.

As to Leinart, we pointed out at SportingNews.com that he could land in Denver as part of a three-team trade that sends Cutler to a team like the Lions, Vikings, Jets, or Buccaneers.

Though there’s no obvious connection between McDaniels and Leinart, the fact that McDaniels helped developed Leinart’s understudy at USC into a $14.65-million-dollar-man could make both coach and quarterback intrigued about what they might be able to accomplish together.

Regardless, the Broncos can’t afford to trade Cutler and to rely on a first-round rookie like Mark Sanchez or an aging veteran like Jeff Garcia. If they do, McDaniels’ time in Colorado could be cut short.

So the best options for getting out of this bad situation seem to be Quinn and Leinart. But, like so many other things that make perfect sense, don’t count on either transaction occurring.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/17/quinn-leinart-are-the-best-options-for-the-broncos/

BAstard! Its true though. Actually i think it would be Quinn and Trent Edwards as the best options and Leinart would still be behind Simms in DEN.

If a trade happens, and i still hope it doesnt, DEN had better absolutely rape the other team(s) of players and picks.

Beantown Bronco
03-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Nope, the team does have the control, it's just teams panic and make a move because they think they have to make a deal to save face. The Broncos do not have to make any deal. Cutler has a binding contract, plain and simple. If he wants to sit out and cost himself money and rep., then he can choose so. The Packers were ready to move on without Favre, so Cook got what he wanted, though doesn't look like things ended well with Favre in the end.

See, that's where I was going. I wasn't talking about the Broncos situation in particular. I was talking about "any" trade situation. You said:

the Broncos are in control since there is a contract in place.

That statement specifically states undeniably that a team, and not the player, always has control in a trade situation.

Now, however, you are saying that Favre had the upper hand on the Packers because they were ready to move on without him. So now you are leaving the door open to the case where a player can have the upper hand even when under contract.

That's all I wanted.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 10:51 AM
...Leinart would still be behind Simms in DEN.

I didn't realize that Cassel was Leinart's "understudy" at USC, thought that was interesting.

I'm with you, I hope they find a way to keep Jay.

barryr
03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
See, that's where I was going. I wasn't talking about the Broncos situation in particular. I was talking about "any" trade situation. You said:

the Broncos are in control since there is a contract in place.

That statement specifically states undeniably that a team, and not the player, always has control in a trade situation.

Now, however, you are saying that Favre had the upper hand on the Packers because they were ready to move on without him. So now you are leaving the door open to the case where a player can have the upper hand even when under contract.

That's all I wanted.

Sorry, but no. The Packers didn't want Favre, he had stated was retiring and they moved on to Rodgers. But Favre wanted to play and they didn't want that to interfere with Rodgers' starting spot and Favre is a HOF QB, something Cutler is far from at this point.

The Broncos do want Cutler, so it's not the same thing since they aren't ready to move on and aren't having to make any deal.

socalorado
03-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I didn't realize that Cassel was Leinart's "understudy" at USC, thought that was interesting.

I'm with you, I hope they find a way to keep Jay.

He never started one game. He just stood there and had some mop up duty, but Belichek saw Cassell as the QB with better mechanics. He was alot like Brady.
Hate Belichek all you want, F'er knows his stuff.

I actually think that Sanchez with the right coach, will be a really good QB.
I guess we'll see.

gyldenlove
03-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Not that I'm in favor of bringing in Leinart, but he's been in the news a lot less than Cutler or Marshall the last year or so. And that's saying something, considering his team was in the SB this past year. I'll give him credit. He handled that situation about as well as anyone could've hoped for.

Seriously, who doesn't like booze and teenage girls?

I am worried about his fellatious tendencies, but that seems to be the norm with young QBs these days (Brady Quinn).

TonyR
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Hate Belichek all you want, F'er knows his stuff.

And while on that train of thought, he (Belichik) also took note of a young assistant coach on his staff and thought enough of him to make him Tom Brady's position coach at the age of 27 and put him in charge of the team's offense at 28. And this is the best team in the league we're talking about here.

Rohirrim
03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd take Leinart over Cutler right now.

Bombs explode... ;D

Rock Chalk
How about #20 #33 2010 #1 for Cutler. I would doubt Denver would want #1 overall money wise. I have a feeling its going to be for players and a pick.

Who says they have to keep the #1 overall?

Trade down for even more picks. Thats the ticket right there. Take the #1 and turn it into 3 more picks.

Then you get like a bazillion picks for a baby. Thats money in the bank.

TonyR

Good point, never thought of that. Something tells me Jay wouldn't have handled the same situation nearly as well as Leinart has...

loborugger
03-17-2009, 11:08 AM

http://www.haruth.com/SnyderLg.jpg

Hold the phone!!! The Broncos are interested in a trade?!?!? This is my chance!!!

TonyR
03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Who says they have to keep the #1 overall?

Word on the street is that nobody wants that pick because nobody is worthy of the price you have to pay if you hold it. But all it takes is 1 team to want it.

barryr
03-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Has Leinart whined to the press about wanting a trade? Didn't a new coach come in and replaced him with Warner. The Cards just extended Warner too, so Leinart doesn't figure to be starting anytime soon. Looks like the move woked for the Cards though.

BroncoInferno
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.haruth.com/SnyderLg.jpg

Hold the phone!!! The Broncos are interested in a trade?!?!? This is my chance!!!

Now, this could be interesting. Does Jason Campbell interest anyone? Young guy with experience and talent, and I could totally see Danny Boy unable to risk a blockbuster move.

BroncoInferno
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Now, this could be interesting. Does Jason Campbell interest anyone? Young guy with experience and talent, and I could totally see Danny Boy unable to risk a blockbuster move.

Campbell has the size McD likes, has improved every year, doesn't make too many mistakes, as good physical tools. Man, I can't believe I didn't think of this before! Get Synder on the phone and see if we can't fleece him for Campbell and a couple of high draft picks.

worm
03-17-2009, 11:26 AM
How ironic if the Broncos trade for the guy that Washington used with their pick.

socalorado
03-17-2009, 11:27 AM
How ironic if the Broncos trade for the guy that Washington used with their pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/140554-jayc-to-dc-3-way-trade-has-5-players-moving-and-2-drafts

SIGHS

This is unconfirmed, however an inside source says a trade that will bring Jay Cutler to Washington is almost complete.

The leak came roughly about 1 hour ago. Negotiations between Cutler’s agent, Pat Bowlen, Daniel Snyder, and the Cleveland Browns management have been ongoing for a few days and all sides seem to be happy.

The deal would see Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler and Cleveland’s 3rd round pick going to Washington.

Jason Campbell and Chris Cooley Going to Cleveland and one of Denver’s 5th round picks.

Brady Quinn going from Cleveland to Denver and LaRon Landry from Washington will be going to Denver. And we thought that the Bailey-Portis trade was big. Our source says that teams will announce the deal at 5pm this evening.

You can find anytrhing on the internets. ANYTHING

TonyR
03-17-2009, 11:35 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/140554-jayc-to-dc-3-way-trade-has-5-players-moving-and-2-drafts

SIGHS

This is unconfirmed, however an inside source says a trade that will bring Jay Cutler to Washington is almost complete.

So in this scenario we're giving up Jay, Scheff, and a 5th and only getting back Quinn and Landry? Am I alone thinking that's not nearly enough?

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Cutler for Quinn and Landry? I'd only do it if a first was included.

Boobs McGee
03-17-2009, 11:37 AM
is there a possibility this was mis-reported, and campbell/cooley are coming here?

Rabb
03-17-2009, 11:39 AM
So in this scenario we're giving up Jay, Scheff, and a 5th and only getting back Quinn and Landry? Am I alone thinking that's not nearly enough?

no you are not, I read it a few times to make sure I was seeing it right

I pray that is not it

~Crash~
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
anyone that would let go a FQB go because he wants the team he plays for to tell him he is still there long term plans have rocks for brains and are no better than dan revees

MinneCofan
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Has Leinart whined to the press about wanting a trade? Didn't a new coach come in and replaced him with Warner. The Cards just extended Warner too, so Leinart doesn't figure to be starting anytime soon. Looks like the move woked for the Cards though.

Yes Leinart whined publicly not only when they brought in Warner but also when they named him the starter.

socalorado
03-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Another aspect of this trade that leads me to believe its hogwash is why would WASH need yet another quality pass catching TE? I mean Cooley plays the HB/TE role to perfection.

I could see Sheffler going to CLE in some sort of 3 way.

..........Then again, this is Schneider were talking about.............

garandman
03-17-2009, 11:44 AM
No way that happens, no way.........BS

~Crash~
03-17-2009, 11:45 AM
BAstard! Its true though. Actually i think it would be Quinn and Trent Edwards as the best options and Leinart would still be behind Simms in DEN.

If a trade happens, and i still hope it doesnt, DEN had better absolutely rape the other team(s) of players and picks.

so with that Idea dan revees could of been right ....:thumbs:

24champ
03-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Landry? As in the guy I wanted to draft 2 years ago?!

I don't want Leinart, he wouldn't be able to handle the pressure cooker here in Denver.

TheReverend
It would be a huge mistake to trade Cutler

Fixed

TonyR
I mean Cooley plays the HB/TE role to perfection.

No, look again, Cooley is going to Cleveland. Now you're making me nervous since they need to replace Winslow!

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 11:50 AM

SIGHS

The leak came roughly about 1 hour ago. Negotiations between Cutler’s agent, Pat Bowlen, Daniel Snyder, and the Cleveland Browns management have been ongoing for a few days and all sides seem to be happy.

The deal would see Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler and Cleveland’s 3rd round pick going to Washington.

Jason Campbell and Chris Cooley Going to Cleveland and one of Denver’s 5th round picks.

Brady Quinn going from Cleveland to Denver and LaRon Landry from Washington will be going to Denver. And we thought that the Bailey-Portis trade was big. Our source says that teams will announce the deal at 5pm this evening.

You can find anytrhing on the internets. ANYTHING

I am not buying it.

garandman
03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Get ready for the Rumor mill to start spewing this garbage out, while on the outside it looks possible compensation wise this could work but when was the last time the freakin "bleacher report" broke one of the biggest NFL trades in recent memory...

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 11:52 AM
I am not buying it.

Career suicide.

But Wash would have Portis, Jay and Scheff, along with a defense, and next year they'd all be coached by Mike again.

That would hurt.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
OH OH Cleveland traded their 3rd. They don't have one to trade. FAKE

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Career suicide.

But Wash would have Portis, Jay and Scheff, along with a defense, and next year they'd all be coached by Mike again.

That would hurt.

Scheff will be hurt, Cutler will fold under the East coast pressure, it wouldn't worry me just not value for Denver. but the terms of the trade don't work.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Scheff will be hurt, Cutler will fold under the East coast pressure, it wouldn't worry me just not value for Denver. but the terms of the trade don't work.

That's insanity! Regardless, I want them all in the AFC.

24champ
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Career suicide.

That would hurt.

Interesting. I thought the Mike and Jay reunion in San Fransisco would be epic, but thats a very interesting scenario.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
That's insanity! Regardless, I want them all in the AFC.

He can't even handle having his name in a trade rumor. he will fold on the east coast. His best bet would be Detroit where there are no expectations.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Interesting. I thought the Mike and Jay reunion in San Fransisco would be epic, but thats a very interesting scenario.

I'd prefer Detroit, but San Fran would be a little homecoming for him.

barryr
03-17-2009, 12:01 PM
He can't even handle having his name in a trade rumor. he will fold on the east coast. His best bet would be Detroit where there are no expectations.

Agreed. Or the Browns. Look at what McNabb goes through about every year with the media and fans. Anyone really think Cutler would handle something like that well? This with the Broncos is nothing compared to what other QB's go through, especially teams where winning is expected.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 12:01 PM

He can handle the trade rumor just fine. He's getting paid now without towing the company line that's all.

This is interesting because they did say they weren't interested in draft pick compensation...

socalorado
03-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Career suicide.

That would hurt.

That would just be pure evil. Schneiders REVENGE!

24champ
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I'd prefer Detroit, but San Fran would be a little homecoming for him.

Shanny would come full circle. Plus he would be across the Bay from senile Al.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Agreed. Or the Browns. Look at what McNabb goes through about every year with the media and fans. Anyone really think Cutler would handle something like that well? This with the Broncos is nothing compared to what other QB's go through, especially teams where winning is expected.

:spit:

Yeah, what would Denver know about winning tradition or a QB here know about playing in someones shadow under big pressure?!

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 12:05 PM
He can handle the trade rumor just fine. He's getting paid now without towing the company line that's all.

This is interesting because they did say they weren't interested in draft pick compensation...

Thats why its bogus.

barryr
03-17-2009, 12:07 PM
:spit:

Yeah, what would Denver know about winning tradition or a QB here know about playing in someones shadow under big pressure?!

And look what happened to Griese and Plummer. Worked out great. And now look at Cutler. Judging from this, yeah, I'm sure he'd handle the east coast media really well. :wave:

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 12:13 PM
:spit: our food jack has gone national. Look at the comments on that bleacher report article.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 12:16 PM
And look what happened to Griese and Plummer. Worked out great. And now look at Cutler. Judging from this, yeah, I'm sure he'd handle the east coast media really well. :wave:

Cutler's handled this great from his end. Sucks for Bronco fans because McDaniels f'd the situation, but Cutler's taking care of himself and will get paid, unless he's forced to stay and play, in which case, he's still in the SAME boat only with some extra vacation from skipping work outs.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Cutler's handled this great from his end. Sucks for Bronco fans because McDaniels f'd the situation, but Cutler's taking care of himself and will get paid, unless he's forced to stay and play, in which case, he's still in the SAME boat only with some extra vacation from skipping work outs.

:rofl: :giggle:

Rohirrim
03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Landry? As in the guy I wanted to draft 2 years ago?!

I don't want Leinart, he wouldn't be able to handle the pressure cooker here in Denver.

Yeah, coming from a low media center like USC, three national championships and the Heisman. I doubt he could handle it. ROFL!

barryr
03-17-2009, 12:26 PM

:rofl:

JCMElway
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Just wait 'til you start beating on your woman. It's a good time!

Rabb
03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
:spit: our food jack has gone national. Look at the comments on that bleacher report article.

^5

socalorado
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Hey, just outta curiosity, what do you guys think WASH would want for Laron Landry? Dont read into what i am asking, i just wonder now what his worth is in terms of a draft pick(s)

Broncos_OTM
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM

This is just not possible. There is such thing as a salary cap. Take thier first this year 20 calvin johnson and their first next year

UboBronco
03-17-2009, 02:14 PM
What ever trade that happens, should there even be one, I would like to see it be for 1st round choices next season. I would love to have Sam Bradford, the kid is the next Brady/Montana, overly accurate but not a great athlete, and has his priorities of getting better and being a team player in place. Not sure how we can pull it off, but I would love it.

How about this trade, Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler (the three amigos) along with our #48 to detroit for #20, #33, Calvin Johnson, and next seasons number one.

Not great on figuing out trades, but I would do this, but better okay it with Cutler and his amigos first.. Would not want any hurt feelings now.
<!-- / message -->

Popps
03-17-2009, 02:18 PM
The one player detroit won't part with is Johnson. They absolutely love him.

FireFly
03-17-2009, 02:22 PM

I'm not completely sure if you're serious, but with all teh head aches that come with Marshall, I'd be happy with this deal quite frankly! ^5

Rabb
03-17-2009, 02:23 PM
The one player detroit won't part with is Johnson. They absolutely love him.

they should, he is a freaking beast

BroncoBuff
03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
That's what I'm hoping for, I hope the Browns jump in this mess

Cleveland makes the most sense to me, if they're interested. Brady Quinn knows Josh's offense and makes very few mistakes on the field, plus the Browns gotta move NT Shaun Rogers (and we could certainly use a Pro-Bowl nose tackle), plus either the #5 or #36 pick in the draft.

I can't believe I'm saying this because I can't stand Quinn ... but this makes the most sense ... IF Cleveland is ready to cut loose Quinn.

NFLBRONCO
03-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Quinn Hate Him (#5 and 2010 #1) I'd listen more