PDA

View Full Version : Do we have the receivers to run the Patriot offense?

DarkHorse
03-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Just a NON JAY CUTLER THREAD.

So with our current receiver corp do we have the personnel to run the Patriots style offense and be successful with it or are we missing a certain type of receiving threat?

Please do not turn this into a Cutler thread - i'm done with that crap.

At this point lets assume that Marshall does not get suspended. That leaves Royal, Stokely, Gaffney - i'm missing others......

The right type of receivers?

oubronco
03-17-2009, 08:26 AM
with Marshall I'd say Yes without Marshall I say NO

2KBack
03-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Absolutely. Don't just look at the record breaking years with Welker and Moss. The patriots offense was still successful when their leading reciever was Reche Caldwell.

DarkHorse
03-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Absolutely. Don't just look at the record breaking years with Welker and Moss. The patriots offense was still successful when their leading reciever was Reche Caldwell.

I was hoping that someone would chime in about the Non-Moss/Welker years. I'm not interested in opinions with those 2 because the numbers are skewed a bit - you got Randy freakingMoss for God's sake :welcome:

Rabb
03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
I may catch some crap for this, actually I know I will, but Marshall is not really a speed guy so with or without him in that kind of offense is only relevant in the sense of freeing up the other, faster guys

and I know people hate to hear this, but a good system can make average players look better

so yes, I think we have the pieces to do it...whether they all execute on that is another story

2KBack
03-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I was hoping that someone would chime in about the Non-Moss/Welker years. I'm not interested in opinions with those 2 because the numbers are skewed a bit - you got Randy freakingMoss for God's sake :welcome:

Exactly.

as much as I respect Welker for what he does, I think royal is better in probably every measurable way.

Assuming we have both Royal and Marshall, I actually think I'd switch the typicla roles people are giving the two in the patriot system. I'd like to see Marshall playing the short routes for his insane after the catch ability.

Denver also has a better offensive line, which will help out if Marshall is not around and we have to go with team B for a while.

Like I said before, the 2006 Patriots were the number 7 scoring offense in the league and their leading recievers were Caldwell: 61, Ben Watson:49, Troybrown: 43, and Kevin Faulk: 43. Not really world beaters.

USMCBladerunner
03-17-2009, 09:14 AM
There is plenty of talent with Royal and Marshall and Stokely. Marshall and Moss are not exactly the same type of receiver, but I think we can run the Patriot system quite well. Bates implemented some of it last season.