PDA

View Full Version : Post: McDaniels in charge - Royal: "You can tell he's a great leader"

Popps
03-17-2009, 12:58 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11928411

Just in case there were any doubts about who is in charge at Broncos headquarters, they departed when new coach Josh McDaniels finished his first team meeting Monday morning.

McDaniels, 32, the team's head coach, managed to come across as both energetic and stern as he spoke for about 30 minutes. In his speech, players said, McDaniels described his coaching philosophies, his plans for the upcoming season and his expectations for the team.

The main message? Be ready to work.

"Today is the first day of the season," said cornerback Andre Goodman, who recently signed with the team as a free agent. "It's not one of those 'Let's get ready for the offseason.' No, today is the first day of the season. That's the approach he's taking, and that's the approach the players are going to take."

McDaniels did speak, briefly, about the status of quarterback Jay Cutler, who was noticeably absent from the voluntary meeting after requesting a trade a day earlier. McDaniels told players he and management would deal with the Cutler situation and they should focus on their jobs.

McDaniels met most of his players at some point in the two months since he was hired Jan. 12, but this was the first chance for him to address them as a group.

"You could tell he's a great leader and he commands respect. And he has a plan," wide receiver Eddie Royal said. "He's focused, he's driven, and that's what you want to see in your head coach."

Defensive lineman Kenny Peterson, who has known McDaniels since both were teenagers and teammates at the same high school in Canton, Ohio, said the new coach had little trouble commanding the respect of his players, even though McDaniels is about the same age as plenty of them.

"I don't care if he's 20, 40, 50, 60 years old. You're the head coach. You're going to get the respect," Peterson said. "Just his demeanor, he's very methodical. He's very articulate."

Part of McDaniels' plan Monday, players said, was to instill a sense
of discipline — starting with the attitude McDaniels wanted players to have about the offseason training program that began with an upper-body weightlifting session Monday.

The team will run together for the first time today. The voluntary offseason conditioning program — run by strength coach Rich Tuten, one of the holdovers from Mike Shana-han's staff — continues through June 26.

McDaniels and his staff did not speak much to players Monday about the specifics of the offensive playbook or the new defensive scheme the staff is planning to install.

The first mandatory minicamp is April 17-19.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 01:05 AM
To be fair... people tend to not want to get into the giant mess that Cutler is in. It would be completely stupid to go to the media and say McDaniels sucks. Naturally they're going to say good things about him.

You can go back to other conferences with new coaches and players being interviewed and they say the same **** about how awesome their coach is and what a good leader he is going to be. I'm sure you'd see that plenty of those coaches were fired later on as well.

It would be like a guy in the Obama administration saying he sucks blah blah blah etc.

Cutler is an extreme exception to the norm.

This proves nothing about McDaniels. What proves something is how many W's and L's we have at the end of the next season.

Popps
03-17-2009, 01:10 AM
To be fair... people tend to not want to get into the giant mess that Cutler is in. It would be completely stupid to go to the media and say McDaniels sucks. Naturally they're going to say good things about him.

You can go back to other conferences with new coaches and players being interviewed and they say the same **** about how awesome their coach is and what a good leader he is going to be. I'm sure you'd see that plenty of those coaches were fired later on as well.

It would be like a guy in the Obama administration saying he sucks blah blah blah etc.

Cutler is an extreme exception to the norm.

This proves nothing about McDaniels. What proves something is how many W's and L's we have at the end of the next season.

Right, and you'd be saying the same thing is he had ripped McDaniels a new a-hole, I'm sure. No question.

But, he didn't. He spoke highly of him, as have all the players and many of his past players/coaches.

It's cool, though. You stay miserable, kid. It's safe there.

GreatBronco16
03-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Yeah everyone else is buying into McDaniels. They are either scared ****less, or they are just smarter.

Jay let his agent dig him a deep hole that Cutler can't get out of now. He will get his big payday, and I believe it will still be with Denver.

Bowlen needs to make up his mind. If Jay really is the man, then pony up and show it by giving him a new contract. He has at the very least shown that he deserves that much. Far worse QBs have gotten more money for showing less IMO.

Ratboy
03-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Popps,

That is a very small percentage of the locker room. What about those who did not speak to the media? I would like to know how they feel, but they are smart enough not to say anything bad about the coach, fearing they may be cut/traded because they disagree with his tactics.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Right, and you'd be saying the same thing is he had ripped McDaniels a new a-hole, I'm sure. No question.

But, he didn't. He spoke highly of him, as have all the players and many of his past players/coaches.

If he ripped McDaniels a new a-hole I wouldn't be happy about it either. It would be stumping to a very low level. Not even Cutler has truly slandered McDaniels. He's just said he's felt he's not wanted and that McDaniels wasn't being truthful about the Cassel situation.

Of that I'm sure. No question. Because I know ME and you don't, as much as you think you know everything about everyone.

You end with an insult as well. Typical insecure individual there.

Popps
03-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Yeah everyone else is buying into McDaniels. They are either scared ****less, or they are just smarter.

Jay let his agent dig him a deep hole that Cutler can't get out of now. He will get his big payday, and I believe it will still be with Denver.

Bowlen needs to make up his mind. If Jay really is the man, then pony up and show it by giving him a new contract. He has at the very least shown that he deserves that much. Far worse QBs have gotten more money for showing less IMO.

The team have already bought in. It's fantastic, too. I think this is going to end up unifying the locker room. Tragedies (in relative terms) tend to do that to a group.

Here's how this will happen. If Cutler leaves, these guys are going to have a chip on their shoulder the size of Colorado. All they'll hear is how ****ed they are without the "golden boy," and that's not going to sit well with proud professionals.

You can already sense these guys are sick of the drama. You can already tell these guys want to get to work and forget about the QB, and just do their job and win games.

I love it. I hope Jay decides to be a man like the rest of these men and honor his contract as they are... but if not, these guys will unify and push forward, possibly a tighter team because of it.

The "excitement" all of these guys talk about isn't a put-on.

Popps
03-17-2009, 01:21 AM
You end with an insult as well. Typical insecure individual there.

Look, man... it's not an insult. You are ****ing captain emo, gloom and doom.
I'm not sure why you bother. I'm not insulting you, I'm just commenting on your posting style.

Look, I have serious concerns. I'm not pollyanna about this. But, there are some reasons to be optimistic about the future and these players are expressing some of them.

Your need to **** on it as some sort of covert Cutler cover-up isn't my doing, so don't get upset because I comment on it.

BroncoMan4ever
03-17-2009, 01:34 AM
The team have already bought in. It's fantastic, too. I think this is going to end up unifying the locker room. Tragedies (in relative terms) tend to do that to a group.

Here's how this will happen. If Cutler leaves, these guys are going to have a chip on their shoulder the size of Colorado. All they'll hear is how ****ed they are without the "golden boy," and that's not going to sit well with proud professionals.

You can already sense these guys are sick of the drama. You can already tell these guys want to get to work and forget about the QB, and just do their job and win games.

I love it. I hope Jay decides to be a man like the rest of these men and honor his contract as they are... but if not, these guys will unify and push forward, possibly a tighter team because of it.

The "excitement" all of these guys talk about isn't a put-on.

a unified group of guys on the way to 4-12. Hollywood should make a movie about the buddies these guys will all become through the adversity of a coach with a Napoleon complex and a QB who was wronged but is taking it too far. truthfully, i don't give a **** if these guys hate each other or want to sleep with each other, i just want to see a good team again, and Jay is the most important person to accomplishing the goal of making this team good again

either way this goes the decision needs to be made now. Bowlen needs to either decide Jay is the man, call him in and say he is safe as long as he is the owner, or he has to decide to go another way and tell Cook to start looking for trade offers.

either way this needs to end now, so that the team can move on with or without Jay, i just pray it is with Jay.

OBF1
03-17-2009, 01:35 AM
As long as the players know that the head coach is the boss and wants to win as bad as any of the players that is a good thing. I am glad he has a plan, I just wish I had some sort of clue as to what it is.

OBF1
03-17-2009, 01:38 AM
a unified group of guys on the way to 4-12. Hollywood should make a movie about the buddies these guys will all become through the adversity of a coach with a Napoleon complex and a QB who was wronged but is taking it too far.

either way this goes the decision needs to be made now. Bowlen needs to either decide Jay is the man, call him in and say he is safe as long as he is the owner, or he has to decide to go another way and tell Cook to start looking for trade offers.

either way this needs to end now, so that the team can move on with or without Jay, i just pray it is with Jay.

The longer it carries on, the better. I hope it goes on until the day of the draft. The longer it goes, the more we are working a trade that is in our favor. We do not need Jay at conditioning work outs to help this team. By draft day we will know for sure if Jay is with us or our of town. If he is great, If not we get alot stronger on draft day and Simms will know the starting job is his to lose. Either way I am pretty damn sure that Chris Simms already has or will shortly have the playbook in his hand.

Popps
03-17-2009, 01:39 AM
As long as the players know that the head coach is the boss and wants to win as bad as any of the players that is a good thing. I am glad he has a plan, I just wish I had some sort of clue as to what it is.

We need more than a couple of weeks, CB. Given, the drama has clouded a lot of what's gone on, but life moves forward. We've made some nice additions in free agency, and I expect more. We're also positioned to make a nice splash on day one of the draft.

We're going to see a ton of offense in Denver, so fans won't be let down in that regard. The D will take a little time, but I like how we've started building.

There haven't been any great FA's out there in the front seven, so we'll have to fortify via draft/trade and maybe some of the guys already on the team can break-out. (Dumervil?)

It's an exciting time, whether everyone sees it or not.

hambone13
03-17-2009, 02:43 AM
We need more than a couple of weeks, CB. Given, the drama has clouded a lot of what's gone on, but life moves forward. We've made some nice additions in free agency, and I expect more. We're also positioned to make a nice splash on day one of the draft.

We're going to see a ton of offense in Denver, so fans won't be let down in that regard. The D will take a little time, but I like how we've started building.

There haven't been any great FA's out there in the front seven, so we'll have to fortify via draft/trade and maybe some of the guys already on the team can break-out. (Dumervil?)

It's an exciting time, whether everyone sees it or not.

Excellent post Poops. You've made a really solid impact on the situation. I mean the facts here are so interesting and compelling, I can't believe The Mane isn't blowing up.

TJ must be out at an international IT HW auction trying to ensure that the traffic here doesn't overwhelm for months to come.

Thank GOD you're here to keep us informed and then by your own insight, even that much more, informed. What would we do w/o you? It baffles me that you don't have a merchant account for donations promoting your insight and objectivity. Flat out baffling.......how do you do it?

Williams
03-17-2009, 04:20 AM
Encouraging read... love the Royal quote.

penguintheory
03-17-2009, 04:41 AM
Finally, a touch of optimism.

Garcia Bronco
03-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Nice. That's a Hokie right. His word is beyond contestation.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Nice. That's a Hokie right. His word is beyond contestation.

Agreed. Hokies are incapable of lying.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0516/ncf_g_vick_600.jpg

Broncoman13
03-17-2009, 06:45 AM
The longer it carries on, the better. I hope it goes on until the day of the draft. The longer it goes, the more we are working a trade that is in our favor. We do not need Jay at conditioning work outs to help this team. By draft day we will know for sure if Jay is with us or our of town. If he is great, If not we get alot stronger on draft day and Simms will know the starting job is his to lose. Either way I am pretty damn sure that Chris Simms already has or will shortly have the playbook in his hand.

Bingo!

Broncoman13
03-17-2009, 06:55 AM

DOH!!! That's below the belt... like a cobra to the groin type of blow!

He went all Vick on yo ass J! You can't take that, man.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 06:57 AM

Thats pretty unfair. You and I know Royal is far from a vick.

Broncoman13
03-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Actually I thought it was pretty funny. Knock Jay down a bit from his high and might Hokie Horse! ;D

For the most part VaTech puts out a respectable bunch... every one has their Michael Vicks and DeAngelo Halls!

theAPAOps5
03-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Actually I thought it was pretty funny. Knock Jay down a bit from his high and might Hokie Horse! ;D

For the most part VaTech puts out a respectable bunch... every one has their Michael Vicks and DeAngelo Halls!

didn't say it wasn't funny, just unfair!

Broncoman13
03-17-2009, 07:12 AM
didn't say it wasn't funny, just unfair!

Yeah, throwing someone like that out is a brutal blow.

Kind of like fighting over something minor and getting kicked in the nuts over it... thus the cobra to the groin comment.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Thats pretty unfair. You and I know Royal is far from a vick.

I disagree. No one's calling Royal a Vick. Just reminding Hokie Pride where it's place is :thanku:

...And I still have ANOTHER Vick in the pocket

Spider
03-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Actually , I have said this before , I think Royal is our best player on offense .. for a rookie to get off the line like he does , then run crisp routes , with speed .........go ahead let a D go man on man with Royal ........... Royal will win every time .........

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-17-2009, 07:19 AM

I would be curious if a written, signed no-trade clause added to his contract, as well as the promise of a lucrative payday next off season (provided he reaches certain playing time plateaus) would get Cutler back in the fold. Does he REALLY want job security? Or does he just want his money now?

broncofan
03-17-2009, 07:27 AM

<b>Thank you</b>. This is ultimately what matters in the end and no predicted conclusions are going to hold any weight. Forget about the he said/she said BS factor or who is right or wrong. I love Jay, don't get me wrong...but I'm not upset because I feel like his feelings were hurt, but because I believe losing Jay hinders our ability to win football games. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong if we do lose Jay to a trade.

Players supported Shanahan by voicing their displeasure when he was let go. As contradictory as this may sound...even though it's important to generating success, it won't matter who supports McDaniels if we're not winning football games.

Garcia Bronco
03-17-2009, 07:31 AM

Hokies graduate.

Garcia Bronco
03-17-2009, 07:32 AM
DOH!!! That's below the belt... like a cobra to the groin type of blow!

He went all Vick on yo ass J! You can't take that, man.

I said contestation, I didn't say anything about being truthful. :)

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 07:41 AM
I said contestation, I didn't say anything about being truthful. :)

Marcus is a click away...

Kaylore
03-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Rev, you should be cock-punched for even inferring that the Vicks are somehow comparable to Royal. Royal is a humble, good soldier.tsk tsk

Broncoman13
03-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Rev, you should be cock-punched for even inferring that the Vicks are somehow comparable to Royal. Royal is a humble, good soldier.tsk tsk

Something bad should happen to him. I agree!

Gort
03-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Nice. That's a Hoagie right. His word is beyond contestation.

he's a sandwich? huh?? since when can sandwiches talk???

http://www.ziospizza.net/s-hoagie.jpg

lex
03-17-2009, 07:51 AM

He's right. This is fluff. Like theyre going to say anything to make things hard for themselves at this point. What else are they going to say? Dumb.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Some of you dopes act like we hired a water boy to take over as head coach of this team. You're so blinded by hatred fueled by your silly fawning adoration of all things Mike Shanahan you can't see the credentials Josh McDaniels brings to the table. You're correct that he hasn't proven anything as an NFL head coach but no first year coach has so that's just an ignorant position. Here's a young man who has been an integral part of the best organization in the NFL for the last 8 years. He joined the team in 2001 and by 2004 was Tom Brady's QB coach and by 2005 was calling the offensive plays! Do you think Belichik elevated a young man to such a position so quickly because he liked him? Are you that stupid? Clearly the kid is gifted to become the OC of the best team in the league as a 29 year old.

In his time in New England, which encompasses 8 seasons, the team went to 4 Super Bowls, won 3 of them, one at least one playoff game every season, and had an average regular season record of better than 12-4. The guy has been around success and winning for the last 8 years. How much better of a background do you want from a new, young, hungry head coach?

Go ahead and keep stewing in your ignorance if that's what makes you happy but I say we give this guy a chance. I hope Jay Cutler remains the QB of this team, but if he isn't on board so be it.

Here's his bio:

Josh McDaniels enters his eighth NFL season and his eighth season in New England. He joined the Patriots on March 1, 2001 as a personnel assistant in the scouting department and assisted the defensive coaching staff for three seasons. He began serving as the Patriots' quarterbacks coach in 2004 and was named offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach on January 20, 2006.
McDaniels oversaw an offense that broke several NFL records in 2007, including points scored, touchdowns scored and most players scoring a touchdown. Under his tutelage, 2007 NFL MVP Tom Brady broke the NFL record for touchdown passes in a season (50) and led the league in both passing yards (4,806) and passer rating (117.2). Brady also set franchise marks in nearly every major passing category, while new wide receiver Wes Welker set the franchise record for receptions in a season (112). New acquisition Randy Moss broke the NFL record for touchdown receptions with 23 and set the Patriots' franchise record for receiving yards in a season (1,439). The Patriots offense also posted the franchise's highest average yards per rush in 22 seasons with 4.1 yards per carry and the team's 17 rushing touchdowns were the second highest total in the last 20 years.
In 2006, McDaniels helped integrate several new players into the offense, including free agent signee Reche Caldwell, mid-season acquisition Jabar Gaffney and rookie Laurence Maroney. In all, six new Patriots caught at least 10 passes, including Caldwell, who led the team with career-highs in receptions (69) and receiving yards (760). Gaffney, acquired prior to week six, became a starting receiver by the end of the regular season and was the team's most productive receiver in the playoffs. Maroney, splitting time with Corey Dillon, was the third leading rusher among NFL rookies.
In his role as quarterbacks coach, McDaniels has worked closely with Brady. In four seasons working with McDaniels, Brady has compiled the top four passer ratings of his eightyear career – 92.6 (2004), 92.3 (2005), 87.9 (2006) and 117.2 (2008).
In 2005, Brady led the NFL with a career-best 4,110 passing yards, a number that exceeded his previous career high by nearly 350 yards and represents the third highest yardage total in Patriots history. Patriots quarterbacks threw 28 touchdown passes, tying the fifth-highest total for the position in franchise history. The mark was also achieved in 1986, 2002 and 2004, McDaniels' first season as quarterbacks coach. Also in 2005, the Patriots finished the season as the NFL's second-ranked passing offense (257.5 yards per game), marking the team's highest ranking in that category in 11 seasons.
In addition to assisting in Brady's continued development, McDaniels has tutored Matt Cassel, a four-year backup quarterback in college and a seventh-round draft choice in 2005. In the 2005 regular-season finale, Cassel threw his first two touchdown passes since high school as he led the Patriots on a fourth-quarter comeback against Miami that fell just two points short.
In 2004, McDaniels earned his first positional coaching responsibilities and worked with Brady to help the quarterback produce his then highest passer rating of his career (92.6) and the third highest single-season passer rating in team history. Brady's 28 touchdown passes ranked second in the AFC and tied his career high set in 2002.
Upon his arrival in New England prior to the 2001 season, McDaniels served as a personnel assistant and quickly expanded his role to include film breakdown and scouting preparation for the defensive coaching staff. He became a coaching assistant in February of 2002. In that role, his responsibilities included film breakdown and scouting chart preparations for the defensive staff. In 2003, he drew additional responsibilities working with the defensive backs
McDaniels began his coaching career in 1999 as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working under head coach Nick Saban.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=24595

Garcia Bronco
03-17-2009, 08:14 AM

Head back to the Galápagos Islands where you belong you Terp. :P

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 08:17 AM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hokie+arrested&aq=f&oq=

Results 1 - 10 of about 34,300 for hokie arrested.

Hilarious!

alkemical
03-17-2009, 09:03 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cG042nkReBA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cG042nkReBA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>