PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly: Too Short For A Column

El Minion
03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
LAST UPDATED 03.16.09 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/reillygofish)
Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler is getting jerked around like a Shetland Pony at a six-year-old's birthday party.

Just to recap: Incredible young talent leads team to second-rated offense in the league last year. Has seven 300-plus yard games and one 400-plus yarder. Does it all while going through seven different running backs and a defense with more holes than a Tyler Perry plot. Makes the Pro Bowl. Becomes the leader of the team.

Then his coach gets fired. Then the guy calling his plays leaves town. Then he finds out his new coach -- a 32-year-old rookie -- is shopping him for a trade. In the NFL, if you're thinking of shopping your star, you better not get caught.

But the Rookie got caught.

Only The Rookie lies about it -- says he was only "listening to offers." Then, in a face-to-face with Cutler, the coach flip-flops. Says, "Yes, we were trying to trade you, so what?" Cutler gets torqued and says so. The world starts calling Cutler a "baby" and reminds him that "this is a business."

But now Cutler sees he's not wanted, can't trust his coach and is no longer the leader in his teammates' eyes. So his career is suddenly dropping like GE stock. His ability to perform has been shredded. So he says, "Trade me," and now he's spoiled? He needs to shut up and take it? How come it's a business for everybody but Cutler?

SureShot
03-16-2009, 08:17 PM
That about sums it up for me.

oubronco
03-16-2009, 08:17 PM
This is dead right on

garandman
03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Much respect for RR, always been a neutral writer in most cases.
I would like to get Elway's take, not sure what he would think about this...

DrFate
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Wow - so much spot on insight in so few words.

Wow. 100% dead on

spdirty
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
hammer nail head right there.

telluride
03-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Looks like Rick's been hitting the sauce again.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Reilly is the Gene Kranz of sports writers.

I still remember him prodding Sammy Sosa to go to Labcorp and have a blood test for roids.

Add in his respect for Elway and he is THE MAN!

extralife
03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Not a fan of Rick Reilly, but he's right on, here. Though he should probably add in something about Bowlen's mountain of lies and general incompetency.

socalorado
03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
I dont agree with everything, but RR is a stand up guy. He always has a great perspective.
Hes a true Professional

oubronco
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I dont agree with everything, but RR is a stand up guy. He always has a great perspective.
Hes a true Professional

how can you not agree with everything?

chaz
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Rick Reilly nails it...

Tombstone RJ
03-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler is getting jerked around like a Shetland Pony at a six-year-old's birthday party.

Just to recap: Incredible young talent leads team to second-rated offense in the league last year. Has seven 300-plus yard games and one 400-plus yarder. Does it all while going through seven different running backs and a defense with more holes than a Tyler Perry plot. Makes the Pro Bowl. Becomes the leader of the team.

Then his coach gets fired. Then the guy calling his plays leaves town. Then he finds out his new coach -- a 32-year-old rookie -- is shopping him for a trade. In the NFL, if you're thinking of shopping your star, you better not get caught.

Only The Rookie lies about it -- says he was only "listening to offers." Then, in a face-to-face with Cutler, the coach flip-flops. Says, "Yes, we were trying to trade you, so what?" Cutler gets torqued and says so. The world starts calling Cutler a "baby" and reminds him that "this is a business."

But now Cutler sees he's not wanted, can't trust his coach and is no longer the leader in his teammates' eyes. So his career is suddenly dropping like GE stock. His ability to perform has been shredded. So he says, "Trade me," and now he's spoiled? He needs to shut up and take it? How come it's a business for everybody but Cutler?

I missed that part. When did McD say he initiated trade talks? Did I miss something?

orinjkrush
03-16-2009, 08:28 PM
just as in any divorce, you never know the real story, despite the "insiders".

let's get the best value for Jay and trade him to a team who wants him.

and quickly let's move the Broncos on.

If the youngster coach can't produce, then his time will come. it always comes around.

ZONA
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Take that to a judge and let's see how fast your case gets thrown out.

Can you show me a specific source where McDaniel lied and also a specific source of the quote "yes, we were trying to trade you, so what?"

Can you show me any specific quotes by current Broncos players where they don't see him as a leader?

Can you show me a specific reference where McDaniels is saying he doesn't want Cutler?

Rick Reilly is an idiot. This is the worst post of the last 2 weeks. Nothing but a summary of misguided assumptions.

Breck Bronc
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Reilly is the Gene Kranz of sports writers.

I still remember him prodding Sammy Sosa to go to Labcorp and have a blood test for roids.

Add in his respect for Elway and he is THE MAN!http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1996/1230_large.jpg

One of the best pieces of sports writing I've ever read in this issue of SI. And I agree with his take on the Cutler/McDaniels soap opera.

Pseudofool
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Can you show me a specific source where McDaniel lied and also a specific source of the quote "yes, we were trying to trade you, so what?"

Can you show me any specific quotes by current Broncos players where they don't see him as a leader?

Can you show me a specific reference where McDaniels is saying he doesn't want Cutler?

Rick Reilly is an idiot. This is the worst post of the last 2 weeks. Nothing but a summary of misguided assumptions.Exactly. I don't know how the "McD lied to Cutler" meme even got started without some hard evidence. People are just taking Jay's/Bus's word that McD was less than honest, here.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Great article.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Exactly. I don't know how the "McD lied to Cutler" meme even got started without some hard evidence. People are just taking Jay's/Bus's word that McD was less than honest, here.

McDaniels one week ago: "All we did was answer calls"
McDaniels yesterday: "We arrived to the dance too late"

orangemonkey
03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
nailed it.

Popps
03-16-2009, 08:36 PM
There's someone lying here, alright.

Cutlerbus says he wants to play for the Denver Broncos, but he he's also saying he's not going to play for the Broncos.

The staff wants him to show up for his job. Who cares if anyone "lied" to him.

Says, "Yes, we were trying to trade you, so what?"

Rick need to learn how to use quotes when quoting someone. McDaniels never said that.

McDaniels is doing his job by listening to offers.

Jay Cutler is not doing his. So, you all can have a little pity-party for his tender ass all you want. But, Cutlerbus is the guy(s) you should reserve your ire for.

DrFate
03-16-2009, 08:36 PM
People are just taking Jay's/Bus's word that McD was less than honest, here.

And aren't the McSparky apologists simply doing the reverse? Blindly accepting the current Bronco spin?

Kid A
03-16-2009, 08:37 PM
eh, I don't mind Reilly, but he gets real buddy buddy with some players and will stay on their side. He wrote an article about Cutler and his diabetes work not long back ( http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3682223 ).

Not really a problem; he isn't a hard journalist, he's a humor/inspirational columnist, so he should feel free to stick up for people he likes. You just have to understand that any further commentary by him will be colored by his relationship.

That's his right, and the points he makes may still be very legitimate. Just don't believe this is in any way an unbiased media perspective. I always enjoyed it when Reilly took a Denver homer view on the Avs-Red Wings rivalry. This is much the same.

Popps
I missed that part. When did McD say he initiated trade talks? Did I miss something?

Yea, see... he never said that.

Rick R. bought into the Cutlerbus grand scheme hook, line and sinker.

He sounds worse than one of the crybabies around here, demanding that we all kiss Cutler's ass because he can't handle life in the workplace.

PaintballCLE
if he nailed it......how come he left the part out about cutler wanting a new contract? THATS WHAT ALL THIS IS ABOUT.........the sooner everyone accepts that the faster this will be over.

SportinOne
I've seen posts all week that, in sum, have said exactly what RR has just stated.. But now that the line has been drawn here at the Thunderdome no one will listen to anyone from the "other side."

He IS right, though. He is completely right, and I'm glad someone finally stepped up to the mic.

Tombstone RJ
03-16-2009, 08:38 PM
McDaniels yesterday: "We arrived to the dance too late"

I don't see a conflict in these two statements. They fielded calls, and when Cassel became a possibility, McD made the mistake of "wanting" him.

But, I don't see where these two statements are polar opposites.

DrFate
Rick need to learn how to use quotes when quoting someone. McDaniels never said that.

Oh, you were there Popps? I didn't read that in any of the reports...

Thanks for the clarification.

Popps
And aren't the McSparky apologists simply doing the reverse? Blindly accepting the current Bronco spin?

No at all.

In fact, the Cutlerbus camp has not denied ANY of the facts those supporting the team choose to reference.

Whether it's Jay refusing to come to work, or Jay bringing his da-da to a man to man meeting with McDaniels... there's been no denial in the Cutlerbus camp at all, to any of it.

Archer81
Wow. Yet another rehash of events from the player's point of view. Boy howdy am I happy to see another one of these...

:Broncos:

SportinOne
03-16-2009, 08:39 PM

Rick Reilly is an idiot. This is the worst post of the last 2 weeks. Nothing but a summary of misguided assumptions.

I'm not looking up quotes for you, but they do exist for much of what you are doubting. For the others, you just need to use your head a bit.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
This article is dead on. Jay is simply using the only tool he has in the "business" that is football. Give him his contract, prove to him your willing to stay with him long term in an uncertain time for him and his teammates, give him his contract.

Tombstone RJ
03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I like Rick Reilly, but this article is just another opinion piece by a person outside the box. So, he really doesn't know anything.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 08:42 PM
I don't see a conflict in these two statements. They fielded calls, and when Cassel became a possibility, McD made the mistake of "wanting" him.

Really?

You don't see why not initiating but then trying to trade him but claiming you only answered calls isn't conflicting?

Seriously dude... I've read you too long to think you can't add one and one.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
if he nailed it......how come he left the part out about cutler wanting a new contract? THATS WHAT ALL THIS IS ABOUT.........the sooner everyone accepts that the faster this will be over.

Actually as much as there is speculation about a contract he has NEVER SAID, "I want a new contract."

In fact the only thing that shows any semblance of contract talk happened the morning of the Cassel trade when he said "I don't know if they think they won't be able to sign me to my next contract or what."

While I think there may be contract crap going on now thanks to Cook's manipulation of the situation. It was never able that to begin with, and may very well not be about it right now, as there is no evidence of it.

Taco John
03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
How come it's a business for everybody but Cutler?

Reilly hits the nail on the head. This is why, even though I think Cutler could/should be handling this better, I can't blame him at all. Just like I can't blame Josh McDaniels for shopping him in the first place.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 08:44 PM

McDaniels admitted he wanted to get Cassel during the Saturday meeting... essentially admitting that he lied about not wanting Cassel.

SoDak Bronco
03-16-2009, 08:47 PM
This is exactly how I feel. This is all on McD and how he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and tried to act like he wasn't doing anything. If you are trying to dumb the star QB you better get the deal done.

NW Bolt Fan
03-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Much respect for RR, always been a neutral writer in most cases.
I would like to get Elway's take, not sure what he would think about this...ROFL! That's like calling this board "neutral." Nice.

socalorado
03-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Dude, who are these freakin people? WTF is this!?!?!

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9281/cutlercookgrima4.jpg

NW Bolt Fan
03-16-2009, 08:50 PM
For everybody jumping on RR's bit- you realize his specialty is SATIRE rigth? ;) FWIW, I sure hope cutlet sticks around. :flower:

theAPAOps5
Reilly hits the nail on the head. This is why, even though I think Cutler could/should be handling this better, I can't blame him at all. Just like I can't blame Josh McDaniels for shopping him in the first place.

Thats the most sensible post I have seen in a while. Both sides are guilty.

Pseudofool
McDaniels yesterday: "We arrived to the dance too late"The implication of the second statement is specious and abstract.

Since it would have been a three team deal. Is it so hard to imagine that:
1) TB calls Denver says it can Denver two first day picks and Cassell for Cutler. McD "answer call"
2) McD, says wow. Let's call the Patriots.
3) Patriots say we've got a trade worked out with KC. No thx.
4) Den says, crap "we arrived to the dance too late"

This might not be the what happened. But you can't preclude something along these lines from happening. You can't just assume that the two quotes you list are mutually exclusive for the benefit of your argument.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Dude, who are these freakin people? WTF is this!?!?!

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9281/cutlercookgrima4.jpg

It's Bus Cook on the left as Grima Wormtongue and Cutler on the right as King Théoden.

Here's the original pic... I tried to make it realistic ;)

http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/2002/images/TheTwoTowers_WormtongueAndKingTheoden.jpg

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/cutler.jpg

Bus Cook: http://www.msstate.edu/org/sports/Sports-Agent-Night-Spr-07-4.jpg Way too big to post on here.

Tombstone RJ
03-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Really?

You don't see why not initiating but then trying to trade him but claiming you only answered calls isn't conflicting?

Seriously dude... I've read you too long to think you can't add one and one.

I think there is a difference between McD listening to offers (stupid, yes) and initiating trade talks. McD said he fielded calls that involved Cutler. He then indicated that when those talks involved his butt buddy Cassel, he got in on "the dance" but was too late.

Again, he did not pick up the phone and actively shop Cutler for Cassel. Instead, he considered a trade after it was put in front of him.

My instincts tell me that McD got all excited about the possibility of working with Cassel again and it let him seriously damage his judgement. He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and he looks stupid. Fine.

I get it.

That being said, Cutler has not responded well to this "adverse" situation. He is not only damaging his future with the Broncos, but with any other potential team.

ZONA
I'm not looking up quotes for you, but they do exist for much of what you are doubting. For the others, you just need to use your head a bit.

The quotes nor the credible sources exist and you damn well know it. There has been assumptions that McD tried to initiate a trade but nobody credible has publicly announced they have proof of that. There is absolutely no proof at all via public quotes from "players" in the Broncos organization that have said they don't trust Jay as a leader. Again, made up BS to try and emphasize a point. And the Broncos/McD/Xanders have publicly announced several time they WANT Jay here, not the opposite.

Some of us are trying to use our heads, in what we call, fact finding. Some of you, such as yourself, just buy into these speculation perspectives and want to call it truth.

Don't search for quotes on my behalf. I've already done searching and I don't find any that support your view. I have plenty that support my view and I have posted them. Your views have no valid source at all. Show me just one. Find one of the 3 that I questioned. You can't. They don't exist.

24champ
How come it's a business for everybody but Cutler?

RR hits it square in the head here. Everyone was bashing Jay about how this is a Business and he needs to grow up.

Well guess what? Jay is treating the Broncos in a Business manner, they started this mess, and they will have to pay, literally.

DeusExManning
03-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Chris Mortensen's article

ZONA
03-16-2009, 08:56 PM
RR hits it square in the head here. Everyone was bashing Jay about how this is a Business and he needs to grow up.

Well guess what? Jay is treating the Broncos in a Business manner, they started this mess, and they will have to pay, literally.

Jay is treating the Broncos in a business manner? You mean by not calling the owner (who pays him) back? By not calling Josh back after he said let me think for a few more hours? And if he doesn't show up 4/17 he will be in breach of contract. Yeah, very business like.

Archer81
03-16-2009, 08:57 PM

Thats specific. Thank God he has only written 3 articles in his lifetime...

:Broncos:

DeuceOfClub
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Just to recap: Incredible young talent once again fails to lead his team to the playoff from an almost sure position. Throws footballs and teammates under the bus at almost the same rate. Makes Pro Bowl and leads the AFC to a lose-from-behind in a very familiar fashion.

Then his coach gets fired. Then the guy calling his plays leaves town. Then he finds out his new coach -- a 32-year-old rookie -- is shopping him for a trade. In the NFL, if you're thinking you're above trades you better be an above .500 QB.

But he isn't.

Than his agent see a potential quick pay-day and takes over, against a rookie head-coach and a team in a cross-roads this is too easy. Instruct his client to stand in line and starts spreading truths and rumors.

Buy now Cutler is too stubborn and childish and is no longer the leader in his teammates' eyes. He suddenly realize that maybe he isn't bigger than his team and maybe his agent only chance for a new deal is through a trade. So he make sure anything said that isn't a pat on his head is interrupted to the worse.

-------------------------------

Seriously! I like the guy, I want him to be my team's QB for few more years but STFU! Learn your playbook, practice hard and watch again and again the games from October 20th and December 28th when you and “your” team were embarrassed on national TV.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Jay is treating the Broncos in a business manner? You mean by not calling the owner (who pays him) back? By not calling Josh back after he said let me think for a few more hours? And if he doesn't show up 4/17 he will be in breach of contract. Yeah, very business like.

He actually publicly stated that he WILL show up to ALL MANDATORY TEAM MEETINGS AND PRACTICES. Aka 4/17 stuff etc.

Also he is listening to Bus Cook on all this crap and was no doubt told to not call back etc.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Ignore ALF, he is not worth reading when it comes to this. His typical retort is McDip****, blah blah blah, no real substance.

ZONA
03-16-2009, 09:00 PM

I posted the damn article. Where does it show quotes from players on the broncos team saying they don't trust Jay? Where is their a quote from McDaniels saying he does't want Jay here? Where does it prove that McDaniels initiated a trade?

See, WTF, are you guys complete frickin idiots? I ask specific questions and you guys just reference general material that does not prove your point. You guys would lose your a$$ in a courtroom in record time trying to prove your point. I'm blown away by the lack of effort some of you have in trying to prove your case.

Tombstone RJ
03-16-2009, 09:00 PM
McDaniels admitted he wanted to get Cassel during the Saturday meeting... essentially admitting that he lied about not wanting Cassel.

I did not know that.

I understand why Cutler is pissed. McD said in so many words to Cutler "your the man." However, when the possibility of getting Cassel came up, McD forgot about Cutler (major stoooopid) and focused on Cassel.

Well, it's McD's bed, and he has to lay in it.

I still will give him the benefit of the doubt because I'm a Broncos fan first. However, Cutler is just not impressing me with his pious pouting.

yerner
03-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Yep, by listening to his agent and trying to force the broncos hand. it sucks, but when this whole thing started bus cook saw it as an oppritunity to get his client in a more comfortable situation.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Just to recap: Incredible young talent once again fails to lead his team to the playoff from an almost sure position. Throws footballs and teammates under the bus at almost the same rate. Makes Pro Bowl and leads the AFC to a lose-from-behind in a very familiar fashion.

Then his coach gets fired. Then the guy calling his plays leaves town. Then he finds out his new coach -- a 32-year-old rookie -- is shopping him for a trade. In the NFL, if you're thinking you're above trades you better be an above .500 QB.

But he isn't.

Than his agent see a potential quick pay-day and takes over, against a rookie head-coach and a team in a cross-roads this is too easy. Instruct his client to stand in line and starts spreading truths and rumors.

Buy now Cutler is too stubborn and childish and is no longer the leader in his teammates' eyes. He suddenly realize that maybe he isn't bigger than his team and maybe his agent only chance for a new deal is through a trade. So he make sure anything said that isn't a pat on his head is interrupted to the worse.

-------------------------------

Seriously! I like the guy, I want him to be my team's QB for few more years but STFU! Learn your playbook, practice hard and watch again and again the games from October 20th and December 28th when you and “your” team were embarrassed on national TV.

Not John Elway, not Joe Montana, not Steve Young, not Brett Favre, not Peyton Manning, not Tom Brady, not any one of those people would have gone to a Super Bowl let alone had major success with the Broncos HISTORICALLY bad defense the last two years.

Did you know we had 4 less turnovers than the Jaguars (they were the 31st team). We had 11 ALL SEASON.

I think Champ Bailey forced more TO's in 2006 ON HIS OWN. (had 10 picks not sure about FF's)

We also went through 7 RB's so every team expected pass etc.

People who go WHA WHA WHA Cutler didn't WIN are idiots. This is a team sport, and even though QB is the most important part of that, you still need other pieces if you're going to win.

Cutler was an UNDEFEATED 12-0 when his team held others to below 20 points (this is based on memory, but I'm fairly certain I'm right).

24champ
03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Jay is treating the Broncos in a business manner?

You bet. He is going to attend everything that is mandatory, as he stated but he won't attend any voluntary workouts.

You mean by not calling the owner (who pays him) back?

The same owner that said in his own press conference after firing Shanny, that he was taking back his franchise but by all accounts it looks like he is losing control of everything in Dove Valley?ROFL! Pat's a joke.

TotallyScrewed
03-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Cutler told ESPN.com, "I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco. (McDaniels) … made it clear he wants his own guy. He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it.

"At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. ... Really, I figured we'd hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward. What happened (Saturday) was the last thing I expected."

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Cutler told ESPN.com, "I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco. (McDaniels) … made it clear he wants his own guy. He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it.

"At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. ... Really, I figured we'd hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward. What happened (Saturday) was the last thing I expected."

He went in there with those intentions? Well I would love for someone to ask him why he put up his primary residence for sale 2 days earlier. Sounds like hogwash to me.

bowtown
03-16-2009, 09:43 PM
He went in there with those intentions? Well I would love for someone to ask him why he put up his primary residence for sale 2 days earlier. Sounds like hogwash to me.

They did ask him. He is/was planning to buy home on a large piece of land in Colorado for some time. According to Jay it was a coincidence. Believe it if you want, but someone did ask, and that was the reply.

Popps
03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
You bet. He is going to attend everything that is mandatory, as he stated but he won't attend any voluntary workouts.

That's big of him.

Skipping those voluntary obligations is really going to endear him to those teammates he "loves playing for."

own press conference after firing Shanny, that he was taking back his franchise but by all accounts it looks like he is losing control of everything in Dove Valley?ROFL! Pat's a joke.

Yea, Pat has an office full of trophies and a laundry list of accomplishments.

Maybe you should wait a few days before jumping on the band-wagon and assuming he's suddenly a failure because you don't agree with him.

I can't wait to watch the back-tracking around here when this team starts winning.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 09:51 PM
They did ask him. He is/was planning to buy home on a large piece of land in Colorado for some time. According to Jay it was a coincidence. Believe it if you want, but someone did ask, and that was the reply.

Right ::) just a coincidence. Don't give me that crap (not you, Jay). that was a planned out methodical move. Are his parents planning on moving to a big piece of land too? That was no coincidence.

Popps
03-16-2009, 09:51 PM

His folks selling their house was a coincidence, too?

Beyond that, wouldn't simple common sense lead one to WAIT a few days to list a house during a media ****-storm like that?

Honestly... what kind of ****ing moron, with 365 days in the year to choose from... choses THAT day to list his house?

It's hysterical to me that anyone buys that. It's like listening to a child try to lie to you. It's so silly, it's almost cute.

baja
03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Where's the part about Bowlen saying he fired Shanahan so he could take his team back than proceeds to give it away to a 32 year old unproven rookie than watches in silence while the impossible happens, his star young QB gets jerked around until the super loyal young gun storms out of town demands a trade. Way to go Pat.

gunns
03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
I did not know that.

I understand why Cutler is pissed. McD said in so many words to Cutler "your the man." However, when the possibility of getting Cassel came up, McD forgot about Cutler (major stoooopid) and focused on Cassel.

Well, it's McD's bed, and he has to lay in it.

I still will give him the benefit of the doubt because I'm a Broncos fan first. However, Cutler is just not impressing me with his pious pouting.

Exactly. Both are at fault for making a mountain out of a mole hill. Too bad both of their britches are too big to say I'm sorry let's move on. And I do believe Cook is becoming the biggest problem in this whole thing.

ZONA
03-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Right ::) just a coincidence. Don't give me that crap (not you, Jay). that was a planned out methodical move. Are his parents planning on moving to a big piece of land too? That was no coincidence.

You didn't hear? An unknown source said they were planning on building a mega complex and living together. There have been rumors about this for several weeks. It has to be true. I mean, with an unknown source and rumors both, how could it not be true.

baja
03-16-2009, 09:59 PM
I blame Pat Bowlen the most. Why o why did he not hire a good GM first, instead he went ahead and put himself (and Broncos) right back in the same situation as he had with Shanahan except he traded Shanahan for a rookie.

Blart
03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Agreed. McDaniels is a liar, the players don't trust him, and it's better for Jay to lead Lions to their first win than to ride a sinking ship.

Elway148
03-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Hes a true Professional

Rick Reilly is not a stand up guy. He lied about owning a CU class ring when he wrote about turning it in after Gary Barnett's idiotic comments about the girl kicker. Stand up guy he is not.

24champ
03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
That's big of him.

Skipping those voluntary obligations is really going to endear him to those teammates he "loves playing for."

On the contrary he was learning the playbook back in February after the Pro Bowl, he went to work immediately with McDouche. Then a couple weeks later learns the Coach is looking at other options for QB.

Like everyone says, it's a business...and Jay is going to look out for himself now. Nothing wrong with it.

Yea, Pat has an office full of trophies and a laundry list of accomplishments.

Pat hasn't accomplished much lately...

bombay
03-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Used to see Reilly down at Reiver's all the time. Funny how he'd catch cold every time he went into the manager's office.

Don't like him or his 'work'.

SouthStndJunkie
03-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Very solid take by Rick Reilly.