PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels: I'll take care of it

montrose
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
McDaniels: I'll take care of it
By Mike Chambers
The Denver Post

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels met with his team for the first time this morning as a group and addressed his ongoing feud with quarterback Jay Cutler, who did not attend the meeting and has asked to be traded.

"He said, "I'll take care of it,' and that's pretty much it," said defensive lineman Kenny Peterson. "(As players), you can't control it. You got to control what you can control.

"Let them handle that. My job is to play D-Line and that's it. I don't know the ramifications of what's going on with that. It's a business. Let them handle it, let (management) deal with it."

Peterson said players were eager to begin workouts this week for their new coaches.

"Definitely exciting, definitely you can see the changes, along the walls, the new faces in the locker room. New beginning. Day One."

As for what McDaniels talked about, Peterson said, "Just his philosophy of how he's going to conduct things and what he expects of us as players. Pretty much the basics. He's the head coach. He could be 20, 40, 50, 60 years old, he's the head coach, and he's going to get the respect. He's very methodical, very articulate. I have nothing but respect for him."

Veteran cornerback Andre' Goodman, recently signed as a free agent, said McDaniels asked the players not to talk about what he said in the meeting about Cutler.

As for the controversy in general, with Cutler trying to force a trade after feeling disrespected, he said, "This is nothing new for me. I'm not shocked that a lot is going on, because every team in the league is adjusting. For me, it's not big deal."

He did add, however, that not having Cutler around is a big issue.

"The quarterback is the face of the team," Goodman said. "When you take the coach out of it, (the QB) is the face of the team. Everybody will tell you it starts with the quarterback."

He said it's up to the players to not be distracted by what's happening between McDaniels and Cutler.

"It's only hard if you allow it to be hard," he said. "If you're a professional you don't allow it to be hard. It's all about the approach you take as individuals."

McDaniels told The Denver Post Sunday night that he wants to talk to Cutler further before considering a trade.

"I would like to talk to Jay before we go on and start to discuss some other type of alternative," McDaniels said. "In the last couple weeks, we've been all about trying to communicate and resolve his unhappiness with what happened which we understand and that's been our direction."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11924596

socalorado
03-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Sighs

lex
03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, because he has doneso so masterfully to this point. It was time for Pat to intervene 3 weekends ago.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 04:03 PM
The Fan just said Scheffler was at the meeting but elected not to work out. Interesting.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 04:04 PM
"I'll take care of it"

Because I am 32, a 1st time HC, and was outcoached in the SB.

Blueflame
03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah, because he has doneso so masterfully to this point. It was time for Pat to intervene 3 weekends ago.

Careful... I got neg-repped for posting essentially the same thing (that McD's efforts to talk to Cutler haven't done much so far except to exacerbate the problems).

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 04:10 PM
This is like a guy saying "Trust me, I won't jizz in your mouth"

DrFate
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Don't worry coach - you've done enough. Please resign now.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Let me bring this to an adult level......FUHK MCDANIELS.....out.....

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Sounds to me they told him the deal, told him no one is above the team, they will listen to any offer to make the team better, and that they aren't going to trade him. Cutler is throwing a fit because they won't treat him special.

Can't see where McD went wrong with it, EXCEPT, how he handled the initial fallout and the time between the report and this weekend. But to me its Cutler who is making this the mess it is.

Popps
03-16-2009, 04:14 PM
The Fan just said Scheffler was at the meeting but elected not to work out. Interesting.

He pulled a hamstring at the meeting getting coffee.

Rock Chalk
03-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Its all McDaniels fault Cutler is a bitch.

Kid A
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Reading that article you can just tell this is a locker room on the brink of mutiny. McDaniels' days are numbered; they want justice for Jay! ROFL!

Popps
03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Reading that article you can just tell this is a locker room on the brink of mutiny. McDaniels' days are numbered; they want justice for Jay! ROFL!

:rofl:

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
He's going to put his 32 year old foot down and put an end to this.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 04:20 PM
McDaniels is the one who lied here, I'd be pissed too. Imagine if your company merged with a bigger one, and you got a new boss. They are laying people off left and right, but the new boss calls you in and tells you your the star of the company and they want you to be the next in command and start things off on the right track. They say they want you around for years to come and even give you a raise! Then you find out the next day they are interviewing for your job!? I'd be looking for a new job too. Who knows when you'll be out of work anyway and besides, you can't trust them! You people forget, this is a game to us, but it's his job! He makes his living doing this, and this guy just comes in and starts fuhking with his life! I'd be pissed too!

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 04:21 PM

I think if the Cutler fiasco didn't happen you would find another reason to eventually knock the guy for his age. Is that your main issue with him?

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 04:24 PM
I think if the Cutler fiasco didn't happen you would find another reason to eventually knock the guy for his age. Is that your main issue with him?

Nope, his EGO is and "I'll TAKE CARE OF IT" cements it.

Think Apa, if he didn't have such a huge EGO this would not have gotten so out of hand.

His Ego is making Shanny's look small.

DenverBrit
03-16-2009, 04:24 PM

He had better keep time with Cutler who is stamping both his 25 year old feet. :spit:

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Nope, his EGO is and "I'll TAKE CARE OF IT" cements it.

Think Apa, if he didn't have such a huge EGO this would not have gotten so out of hand.

His Ego is making Shanny's look small.

Please Cutlers Ego is the one driving this. McD may have one but it pails to The HOF QBs(in his own mind) Ego.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 04:25 PM
He had better keep time with Cutler who is stamping both his 25 year old feet. :spit:

That is a problem when you have a young team and a young HC, no one is there to change each others diapers.

Taco John
03-16-2009, 04:28 PM
One of these guys has got to go... The sooner the better.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM
hey, I'm 32, I don't feel that young.....

watermock
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Other than the fact Shanny was collecting his 3rd Lombardi when McDummy was a waterboy, I haven't heard anyone complain about his age.

Shanahan was young too, but he had a hell of alot more credentials before Denver RE-HIRED him.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM

I say McDouchebag, bad coaches are everywhere, but star Qb's are a bitch to find....

Popps
He'll be 33 by the time the season starts.

Tomlin, the winner of this year's SB was 34 when hired.

Cower was 37 when hired.

Can we get over the age thing? Do you know how many ****ty coaches wash out of the league in their 40s-50s every season?

broncosteven
Please Cutlers Ego is the one driving this. McD may have one but it pails to The HOF QBs(in his own mind) Ego.

Hence the impasse.

I am siding with the guy that started it because it is push on the EGO front.

MickyD's inexperience is more troubling than our Pro-bowl Qb's feelings.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 04:31 PM

Cower was 37 when hired.

Can we get over the age thing? Do you know how many ****ty coaches wash out of the league in their 40s-50s every season?

Ever hear of Lane Kiffin and the other Wunderkinds that set their franchises back 5 years?

Popps
03-16-2009, 04:31 PM

Well, our coach won't be going anywhere.

The employee under contract may choose not to honor his contract, but we'll deal with that.

There's no "one of them," Taco. Jay Cutler is the only variable, here. I'm not sure how you could be confused on that point.

SportinOne
03-16-2009, 04:32 PM
This is like a guy saying "Trust me, I won't jizz in your mouth"

Maybe it's the way you worded it but.. it's okay to say no once in a while Broncosteven. ;)

Taco John
03-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I say McDouchebag, bad coaches are everywhere, but star Qb's are a b**** to find....

I don't really care which one of them goes to tell you the truth. I don't think Cutler is a great fit for the offense that McDaniels wants to run. I think that this is a dead-end road. I just wish Bowlen would step in and end all this hemming and hawing and take control of the situation by sending one or the other into Broncos oblivion.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 04:34 PM
hey, I'm 32, I don't feel that young.....

I am 42 and your young.

The MVPlaya
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
There you have, with your own eyes and fresh. You get to experience how much the media likes to blow things way out of proportion, in a way that words are pretty much used out of context.

Anyone who saw the interviews could tell that there was not much to be said, and they were just rambling to get the reporters off the Cutler/McDaniels topic. Yet, there is now a whole article on it.

Damn reporters...this is what you have to do to feed your kids at night...so be it.

Orange_Beard
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
At this point we really need Jesse Jackson.

Popps
03-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Ever hear of Lane Kiffin and the other Wunderkinds that set their franchises back 5 years?

Oh, so it can work either way?

Thanks. Pretty much the point, I think... his age is irrelevant. People just need something to cling to, so that's what they grasp for.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't really care which one of them goes to tell you the truth. I don't think Cutler is a great fit for the offense that McDaniels wants to run. I think that this is a dead-end road. I just wish Bowlen would step in and end all this hemming and hawing and take control of the situation by sending one or the other into Broncos oblivion.

I think it's a lose lose situation. You trade cutler, you set the franchise back 10 years, you axe the coach, you may have trouble finding another "good" one whom will take the job and you set a bad precedence for the players as far as their need to complain and get their way. You do nothing and you risk becoming the raiders.... I think no matter what he does, we can look in the basement for our football team for a while....

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Thanks. Pretty much the point, I think... his age is irrelevant. People just need something to cling to, so that's what they grasp for.

I would rather he said this:

"We know we have an issue, we will handle it internally, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME"

That is better than "I'll take care of it"

HEAV
03-16-2009, 04:41 PM

Don Shula was hired by Colts' owner Carroll Rosenbloom to coach Baltimore. Shula's hiring was controversial because he was thought to be too young at only age 33.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 04:49 PM
his age isn't an issue....until he makes a rookie mistake, like jerking around with the franchise Qb and single handedly going "bartman" on the broncos franchise in less than a month! So he could be 52 and I'd tell you he's a boob!

jutang
03-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I doubt Don Shula would have pursued Matt Cassell for Cutler. Did you see Tomlin shop for a QB after Rothleisberger took on an automobile with his head?

rovolution
03-16-2009, 04:53 PM

The jokeland fiasco was not Lane Kiffins fault.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I doubt Don Shula would have pursued Matt Cassell for Cutler. Did you see Tomlin shop for a QB after Rothleisberger took on an automobile with his head?

Rep.....comparing this guy to anybody with success, this guy reeks of failure! We have a ton of concerns on this team and he was pursuing a second string QB that tossed up balls to randy moss to replace a first round draft pick All pro in his mid 20's? Whats next, Champ Baily has to go for a high school CB?

lex
03-16-2009, 04:59 PM

I think the Tomlin example is a good one, especially how he didnt go to Pittsburgh and force the 4-3 and his defensive philosophies on the team.

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I say McDouchebag, bad coaches are everywhere, but star Qb's are a b**** to find....

Jay's not a star QB.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
At this point we really need Jesse Jackson.

?!?!??!

At this point we need Jimmy Carter...

Can anyone see if the Versailles Palace is available for negotiating a new cease fire?

lex
03-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Jay's not a star QB.

Of course he is. He's a 25 year old pro bowler that has an arm like few in the league. In case you havent noticed, its not as though this isnt getting a lot of airplay. Tons of people are watching and hoping Cutler falls to their team.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Griese was a pro-bowler. Lex once again showing he has horrid football knowledge.

People need to drop the pro-bowl as a bench mark. Its an honor but it is far from a measurement.

Taco John
03-16-2009, 05:24 PM
It blows my mind that people try to make the argument that Cutler isn't a star QB.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Griese was a pro-bowler. Lex once again showing he has horrid football knowledge.

People need to drop the pro-bowl as a bench mark. Its an honor but it is far from a measurement.

Name ten franchise quarterbacks in the NFL.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
It blows my mind that people try to make the argument that Cutler isn't a star QB.

He's a "star" he just isn't a franchise. He has to drop this juvenile ego and attitude to become a franchise. Nothing to hard to understand to me.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Name ten franchise quarterbacks in the NFL.

There aren't, what's your point. Jay speaks of himself like he is one. But he isn't. There are 4, Brady, Manning(elder), Rothlesberger, and Rivers. Cutler has the physical ability just not the mental.

lex
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
BTW, just now on Chicago Tribune Live, they probably spent 15-20 minutes on Cutler and how the Bears should go after him. All 4 panelists agreed with this.

DrFate
03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
There aren't, what's your point. Jay speaks of himself like he is one. But he isn't. There are 4, Brady, Manning(elder), Rothlesberger, and Rivers. Cutler has the physical ability just not the mental.

Rivers??

Rulon Velvet Jones
03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
BTW, just now on Chicago Tribune Live, they probably spent 15-20 minutes on Cutler and how the Bears should go after him. All 4 panelists agreed with this.

That conversation was probably held in about 20 different sports markets this afternoon. It's happening here in Dallas where some (those that don't understand how things work) Cowboys fans are playing fantasy football and wanting Cutler for Romo.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Rivers??

As much as it sickens me to say it, yes.

DrFate
03-16-2009, 05:37 PM
That conversation was probably held in about 20 different sports markets this afternoon.

That, my friend, is the key point. Cutler is an upgrade for 20-25 teams in this league.

cutthemdown
03-16-2009, 05:37 PM
People bagging on the new coach when this is all obviously just a ploy to get a new contract is pretty lame. Cutlers agent tried to hold Broncos hostage so he could make a payday a few yrs early. It's so obvious now it's not even funny. Mad about a trade so you demand a trade? unless you give me a long term deal?

Cmon!!!!

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
He's a "star" he just isn't a franchise. He has to drop this juvenile ego and attitude to become a franchise. Nothing to hard to understand to me.

Elway had the same attitude before he won anything big either... and most of his wins in his early career were due to his defense (such as the #2 D in the NFL his 2nd year). People forget what a loudmouth Elway was and how big of a "baby" he was. Hell.. refusing to play for the team who drafted him, basically saying to Bowlen chose Reeves or me, etc.

Not saying Cutler is Elway, but Cutler does have the talent to become something great by the end of his career. Both sides need to end this and if McDaniels has to go to a Starbucks and make love to Cutler on the Nilla Wafers, then so be it. They both need to be working on football right now, not this bull****.

elsid13
03-16-2009, 05:39 PM

Cower was 37 when hired.

Tomlin also didn't come in and start tearing everything down that the previous coach was successful with. He set the tone,but kept the coaches, the star players and systems in place. He add new wrinkles to both the defense and the offense but didn't attempt to force a foreign culture on the Steelers.

DrFate
03-16-2009, 05:39 PM
As much as it sickens me to say it, yes.

I'm not sure what your standards are, but I don't see it. You want to make a case that he is better than Cutler? Fine, go ahead. But put him in the same category as those other 3? I simply don't see it.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 05:43 PM

Ben? I mean, I'd say he's a franchise QB, but if I were to create a list of 4, he certainly wouldn't be on it...

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
He's a "star" he just isn't a franchise.......

Yet.....he's 25 name me a QB, that might be available in the next year, that is closer to being the franchise QB?

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Elway had the same attitude before he won anything big either... and most of his wins in his early career were due to his defense (such as the #2 D in the NFL his 2nd year). People forget what a loudmouth Elway was and how big of a "baby" he was. Hell.. refusing to play for the team who drafted him, basically saying to Bowlen chose Reeves or me, etc.

Not saying Cutler is Elway, but Cutler does have the talent to become something great by the end of his career. Both sides need to end this and if McDaniels has to go to a Starbucks and make love to Cutler on the Nilla Wafers, then so be it. They both need to be working on football right now, not this bull****.

I have said he has all the talent thats not where he needs to grow.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 05:47 PM

RIVERS??? WTF?

Xenos
03-16-2009, 06:02 PM
RIVERS??? WTF?

Imagine what Rivers could do if he had your wide receivers and an oline that gave up the fewest sacks last year. Both Gates and LT were injured last year so Scheffler and the running back by committee thing gets washed out. He won't make the throws that Cutler does, but he'll also make less mistakes than Jay when it comes to trying to fit it in a tight window.

NYBronco
03-16-2009, 06:02 PM
People bagging on the new coach when this is all obviously just a ploy to get a new contract is pretty lame. Cutlers agent tried to hold Broncos hostage so he could make a payday a few yrs early. It's so obvious now it's not even funny. Mad about a trade so you demand a trade? unless you give me a long term deal?

Cmon!!!!

That exactly how I feel about this whole situation.
Cutler's agent saw an opening when Shanahan was let go and immediately set the wheels in motion to get Cutler a new contract.

Beantown Bronco
03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
"I'll take care of it" is officially the new "The deal is DONE!"

USMCBladerunner
03-16-2009, 06:09 PM

That's a terrible example. Kiffen doubled the number of wins from teh previous season in his first year as HC. Anybody and everybody knows that Davis is the source of that mess. Kiffen just had the nuts to swirl his finger around his ear when talking about the old coot.

Los Broncos
03-16-2009, 06:10 PM
You better take care of it or you'll be taken care of.

watermock
03-16-2009, 06:11 PM
That exactly how I feel about this whole situation.
Cutler's agent saw an opening when Shanahan was let go and immediately set the wheels in motion to get Cutler a new contract.

That is totally untrue. A new contract has never been mentioned either by Cook or Cutler.

That doesn't mean it won't after this season, or after he is traded. So, what's the difference? Who cares what someone else pays. But, OBTW...

We've got Crissy Simms right?

Full steam ahead Titanic.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Imagine what Rivers could do if he had your wide receivers and an oline that gave up the fewest sacks last year. Both Gates and LT were injured last year so Scheffler and the running back by committee thing gets washed out. He won't make the throws that Cutler does, but he'll also make less mistakes than Jay when it comes to trying to fit it in a tight window.

Dude, we can mash about cutler vs Rivers all day if you like, but naming him one of the top 4 QB's in the league, or one of the all time greats?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/386317452_6bfcf3e83c.jpg?v=0

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Dude, we can mash about cutler vs Rivers all day if you like, but naming him one of the top 4 QB's in the league, or one of the all time greats?

RIvers has proved a hell of a lot more in this league than Cutler has...

and I absolutely HATE that guy

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Exactly and Xenos doesn't come here and troll what so ever. So I would treat him with the same treatment other trolls get. Yeah its a tough pill to swallow that Rivers is good and a Franchise QB. Cutler has more ability and surpass him but one wonders if he will.

Popps
03-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Rivers owns Cutler at this stage in their careers, all things considered.

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Rivers owns Cutler at this stage in their careers, all things considered.

which is a real shame....if you would have asked me when they both started I would have put the house on Cutler....and then it looked like Rivers was the loudmouth with no self control, and I really thought he would self destruct when that team had the slow start the last two years..

but alas, I was wrong...and the guy actually had some testicular fortitude to back up his big mouth

lex
03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
"Ill take care of it." Its like a punchline or a dubious trivia question.

worm
03-16-2009, 06:29 PM
That's a terrible example. Kiffen doubled the number of wins from teh previous season in his first year as HC. Anybody and everybody knows that Davis is the source of that mess. Kiffen just had the nuts to swirl his finger around his ear when talking about the old coot.

Kiffen has proven that he is as immature as Josh or Jay (actually a lot worse). Both with the way he dealt with the senile in Oakland and the way he has conducted himself already as a Vol.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Exactly and Xenos doesn't come here and troll what so ever. So I would treat him with the same treatment other trolls get. Yeah its a tough pill to swallow that Rivers is good and a Franchise QB. Cutler has more ability and surpass him but one wonders if he will.

You miss the point, I'm not arguing in favor of cutler, I'm arguing against the statement that rivers is the fourth best QB and a franchise type QB. Keep up sparky...

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
You miss the point, I'm not arguing in favor of cutler, I'm arguing against the statement that rivers is the fourth best QB and a franchise type QB. Keep up sparky...

Rivers is a Franchise QB. Whats wrong with that. Too much of a homer to see that. You are probably going to tell me that right now Cutler is better than Rivers.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm telling you that Rivers hasn't won shyt, Cutler hasn't won shyt, and Neither is Peyton manning, and if homer means seeing the world through the eye's of a sane person, then that be me! Rivers has a running game, a pretty good defense, and the comfort of knowing that if he doesn't win the game, the cameras go looking for someone else named LT. The comparisons are valid amigo, weather you like it or not. I'm not a word about cutler...YOU ARE! stick to the facts....Read the intitial post before you get all preachy, and know what your talking about. Peyton manning, Tom brady, John Elway, Philip freaking Rivers?? I don't think so. He's nothing but the guy whom takes the ball from center and hands it to LT at this point in his career, HE'S NOT EVEN THE BEST PLAYER ON HIS TEAM! how can he be a franchise QB?????

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow a little angry huh? Maybe you shouldn't post if you don't want to be challenged. Go back and read my response it was to the REV. He asked me to name 10 franchise QBs in the NFL. I said I couldn't and named 4 that fit that mold. Can't see why you are so angry about that.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Wow a little angry huh? Maybe you shouldn't post if you don't want to be challenged. Go back and read my response it was to the REV. He asked me to name 10 franchise QBs in the NFL. I said I couldn't and named 4 that fit that mold. Can't see why you are so angry about that.

I'm no angry, I'm simply putting things in capitals with the hope that you will read them this time instead of missing the point entirely, BTW- Can't be a franchise QB if your not even the best player on your offense....

cutthemdown
03-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Maybe Cutler just wants to get away from Rivers. He is Rivers bitch and he can't take it.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I do think everyone needs to calm down over the situation at the moment.

Cutler's going to get an extension and his money, and all will be well.

Why? Because if it doesn't happen, McDaniels is too stupid to have survived 32 years in life.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
If he does that he is too stupid to be a head coach. After next year, maybe.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Actually, i think it's the only way out in a SOMEWHAT gracious manner, I mean if you wait till next year, don't you lose him anyway?

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM

**** in the bed, you gotta lie in it.

Trading him =

http://www.marieclaire.com/media/cm/marieclaire/images/guillotine.gif

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Actually, i think it's the only way out in a SOMEWHAT gracious manner, I mean if you wait till next year, don't you lose him anyway?

No he has 3 years left on his rookie contract. That and after that you can franchise him. So he isn't gone after next year.

broncosteven

Don't worry Apa....

I'LL TAKE CARE OF IT!

theAPAOps5
**** in the bed, you gotta lie in it.

Trading him =

http://www.marieclaire.com/media/cm/marieclaire/images/guillotine.gif

Cutler **** in his bed he doesn't have to lie in it he needs to scold him like a dog..... ;D

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Cutler **** in his bed he doesn't have to lie in it he needs to scold him like a dog..... ;D

Reality called. They miss you.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
No he has 3 years left on his rookie contract. That and after that you can franchise him. So he isn't gone after next year.

I don't mean by contract, I mean after all this crap, if you keep him around, and we go 4-12 we cut him or trade him anyway and his value is in the toilet. I don't see this going well unless both sides get something. The coach gets to say"I took care of it and i retained our QB" and cutler gets to say "I just wanted a gesture to make me feel wanted". Even though both are complete and total BULL, still it's a little more tidy than the alternative, wich may be a sulking QB and a locker room divided, or worse yet trade him and get nothing but a huge hole @ QB which will lose him his job in three years anyway.... That's just my thing, there has to be a politic-y way to get out this, a new contract might be the way to press the do over button.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:06 PM

i still maintain it was Mclovin's fault, why go shopping for hamburger when you got steak at home. It was a two faced thing to do.

gyldenlove
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
If Mcdaniels was Italian I would be worried about now, when an Italian says "I will take care of it" it is usually followed by a gun being cocked.

Honestly though, neither Rivers nor Roethlisberger are franchise QBs. Aside from Brady who is a lock, Peyton Manning who is looking like the real deal, the only QB in this league who has really won something is Kurt Warner (Now that Favre seems to actually be retired). It isn't so ****ing hard to win something when you have the best defense in the league is it? The Steelers had the best overall defense, we had the second worst defense and yet the Steelers only won 4 games more than us. Philips Rivers, the Chuggers had the same 8-8 record as we did, but their defense was better than ours, that means our offense must have been better than theirs, Drew Brees had better records with the Chargers than Rivers have, and he never had the luxury of playing for a head coach that won't lose playoff games even without an opponent.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 07:09 PM
"Ill take care of it." Its like a punchline or a dubious trivia question.

To me is almost as good as a Monty Python or SNL Catch Phrase.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

YOU LOOK MARVALLOUS!

I'LL TAKE CARE OF IT!

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM... SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM... SPAMITY, SPAM, SPAMITY, SPAM! - I think this was MickyD's meeting notes but it could be Python, I can't tell.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
i still maintain it was Mclovin's fault, why go shopping for hamburger when you got steak at home. It was a two faced thing to do.

I agree he shouldn't have listened to that trade and he has handled it badly but I really think Cutler has other motives too.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
If Mcdaniels was Italian I would be worried about now, when an Italian says "I will take care of it" it is usually followed by a gun being cocked.

Man, I',m only a quarter Italian, so I'm not too offended, but Dude easy....:rofl:

Popps
03-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I do think everyone needs to calm down over the situation at the moment.

Cutler's going to get an extension and his money, and all will be well.

Why? Because if it doesn't happen, McDaniels is too stupid to have survived 32 years in life.

I hope you're correct, but Denver isn't going to extend him without making sure he can perform in the system and coexist with the staff.

All Jay has to do is show up for his job, and you're correct... all would be well.

TonyR
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Rivers is a Franchise QB. Whats wrong with that. Too much of a homer to see that. You are probably going to tell me that right now Cutler is better than Rivers.

Sheesh, it's like amateur hour in this thread. Rivers was the #1 rated QB in the league last season with both LT and Gated dinged up, and it wasn't even close. Jat Cutler was a distant 16th. Apa, don't bother arguing with these dopes.

Dedhed
Try to name one stud QB who won a SB in a poor system.

Now try to name one QB with average talent who won a SB in a good system.

Now ask which list was longer and easier to come up with.

SJ Bronco
I agree he shouldn't have listened to that trade and he has handled it badly but I really think Cutler has other motives too.

I think cutler is a 25 year old athlete, his agent is a slimeball, and he's easily manipulated. Do i think he's free of blame, no, but i do think he's sensitive, and not much different than any other of his coddled generation. Want to be a head coach in this league? better deal with it. Shanny had his probs with the ego maniacs, but seemed to be able to finish the issue quicker and cleaner than this. On a personal note, I empathize a little with jay, cause something similar happened to me not to long ago @ my job, the difference, I don't have to demand a trade, I have the freedom to leave my contract and find employment elsewhere. Jay doesn't feel comfortable with his job security and doesn't trust his boss, this is the only bullet he has in the gun.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I hope you're correct, but Denver isn't going to extend him without making sure he can perform in the system and coexist with the staff.

All Jay has to do is show up for his job, and you're correct... all would be well.

If McDaniels didn't think he could perform in this system, he would've taken a different job and just made Matt Cassel a priority. He needs to regain sight of that.

The way this stands now, Jay is GOING to get paid. Hopefully it's here

Bronx33
03-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Micky DS should be in nashville right now if he really wanted cutler.

broncosteven
Don Shula was hired by Colts' owner Carroll Rosenbloom to coach Baltimore. Shula's hiring was controversial because he was thought to be too young at only age 33.

Shula is a great point! He never won a Championship with Baltimore. He learned how to win with Baltimore on their Dime but he was Fired because he couldn't win the big game.

Sure he had success with Baltimore but he had inherited Unitas, Berry, among other HOF memebers.

MickyD is an arrogant upstart that inherited a Pro-bowl QB and Wr but no D or ST.

It took Shula, Shanny among others at least 2 stops before they won the SB.

Bowlen said only SB's are acceptable. Excuse me if I don't feel this guy is too inexperienced to win it all.

Thanks for pointing Shula out!

TheReverend
Micky DS should be in nashville right now on his knees if he really wanted cutler.

Fixed! :)

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I think it's a lose lose situation. You trade cutler, you set the franchise back 10 years, you axe the coach, you may have trouble finding another "good" one whom will take the job and you set a bad precedence for the players as far as their need to complain and get their way. You do nothing and you risk becoming the raiders.... I think no matter what he does, we can look in the basement for our football team for a while....

Jay is nothing special.

TonyR
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Micky DS should be in nashville right now if he really wanted cutler.

Why, are the Broncos moving to Tennessee? There's going to be 2 NFL teams in that state? Wierd...

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I think cutler is a 25 year old athlete, his agent is a slimeball, and he's easily manipulated. Do i think he's free of blame, no, but i do think he's sensitive, and not much different than any other of his coddled generation. Want to be a head coach in this league? better deal with it. Shanny had his probs with the ego maniacs, but seemed to be able to finish the issue quicker and cleaner than this. On a personal note, I empathize a little with jay, cause something similar happened to me not to long ago @ my job, the difference, I don't have to demand a trade, I have the freedom to leave my contract and find employment elsewhere. Jay doesn't feel comfortable with his job security and doesn't trust his boss, this is the only bullet he has in the gun.

Good points and a fair take. Here is what has been eating at me this evening. Jay is quoted as saying he expected to walk in on Saturday work it out and laugh about it. But he put his residence up for sale on Thursday. It was his parents that went up on Saturday. For someone hoping to work it out thats a funny time to do that.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Sheesh, it's like amateur hour in this thread. Rivers was the #1 rated QB in the league last season with both LT and Gated dinged up, and it wasn't even close. Jat Cutler was a distant 16th. Apa, don't bother arguing with these dopes.

Im sorry, who took over for LT for a short time? And who are cutlers weapons that were healthy all year? I think it might be you who has the flawed logic. Denver was a pass heavy, no running game having offense with no defense, Rivers still had a guy toting the ball at 5 bucks a carry even with LT crying hurt toe. That being said, i think neither has gotten anything out of their talent, and to say that either can carry peyton mannings jock strap at this point is just silly, i mean come on? Really?

fontaine
03-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Jay isn't going anywhere. Sure he's pissed at the double speak by McDaniels but neither he or his agent have any leverage here.

3 years left in his contract and Jay has already said he'll report to mandatory/training camps and there's no real pressure on a 1st year HC with an awful defense to win now.

Sooner or later this thing will be resolved because neither side really want this trade to happen. Jay wants to know he's the guy in Denver long term, his agent wants a big new deal and the organisation want him long term as well.

Sure it's a distraction but I expect McDaniels and more importantly Bowlen to resolve this.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Good points and a fair take. Here is what has been eating at me this evening. Jay is quoted as saying he expected to walk in on Saturday work it out and laugh about it. But he put his residence up for sale on Thursday. It was his parents that went up on Saturday. For someone hoping to work it out thats a funny time to do that.

I think he is acting like a jilted lover, I think it's a bit extreme putting your house up for sale, specially in this market!LOL He must mean business.... It could be he is just thinking he is getting a better contract and buying a better house? (now I'm just hoping, man this sucks)

400HZ
03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Im sorry, who took over for LT for a short time? And who are cutlers weapons that were healthy all year? I think it might be you who has the flawed logic. Denver was a pass heavy, no running game having offense with no defense, Rivers still had a guy toting the ball at 5 bucks a carry even with LT crying hurt toe. That being said, i think neither has gotten anything out of their talent, and to say that either can carry peyton mannings jock strap at this point is just silly, i mean come on? Really?

One of them has sent Peyton home from the playoffs two years in a row and the other hasn't qualified for postseason play seven years running.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Jay isn't going anywhere. Sure he's pissed at the double speak by McDaniels but neither he or his agent have any leverage here.

3 years left in his contract and Jay has already said he'll report to mandatory/training camps and there's no real pressure on a 1st year HC with an awful defense to win now.

Sooner or later this thing will be resolved because neither side really want this trade to happen. Jay wants to know he's the guy in Denver long term, his agent wants a big new deal and the organisation want him long term as well.

Sure it's a distraction but I expect McDaniels and more importantly Bowlen to resolve this.

I'm not so sure, if homeboy is selling his house, this could be serious. I'm not so sure he doesn't want out. We know from his other altercations (mostly with rivers) he's a bit of a red ass, he may not want to give this a shot.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
One of them has sent Peyton home from the playoffs two years in a row and the other hasn't qualified for postseason play seven years running.
Yeah the underdog wins from time to time, otherwise, why would we watch. From what i saw of that game, it looked to me that the chargers pass rush sent them packing, not Phil. Show me some stats from that game..I'm curious.. Seriously, that's not a challenge, i want to know what phil did in that game so i can form an opinion on that

fontaine
03-16-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm not so sure, if homeboy is selling his house, this could be serious. I'm not so sure he doesn't want out. We know from his other altercations (mostly with rivers) he's a bit of a red ass, he may not want to give this a shot.

He's already said he'll report to all mandatory camps and also said he wanted to stay in Denver but was put off by McDaniels saying that he has to investigate all trade possibilities.

Ultimately he's got a great young offense here and his agent doesn't give a crap where he plays as long as he gets paid.

400HZ
03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah the underdog wins from time to time, otherwise, why would we watch. From what i saw of that game, it looked to me that the chargers pass rush sent them packing, not Phil. Show me some stats from that game..I'm curious.. Seriously, that's not a challenge, i want to know what phil did in that game so i can form an opinion on that

P. Rivers (14-19, 264 3/1) , V. Jackson (7-93) San Diego 28 Indianapolis 24

P. Rivers (20-36, 217 0/1) , D. Sproles (22-105) San Diego 23 Indianapolis 17

One sack by the Chargers D between them.

I'm not your stat monkey, but it's worth the trouble in this case. :thumbsup:

Now you show me Jay's postseason stats.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
He's already said he'll report to all mandatory camps and also said he wanted to stay in Denver but was put off by McDaniels saying that he has to investigate all trade possibilities.

Ultimately he's got a great young offense here and his agent doesn't give a crap where he plays as long as he gets paid.

I also read that he put his house up because he wanted to buy 40-70 acres of land in CO.

I think he is using it to show he in not rooted here to get a bigger deal.

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Seems like Jay's triumph will be a trade.

rovolution
03-16-2009, 07:43 PM

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2007.htm

2007 San Diego Chargers defense: Allowed 284 points (17.8/g), 5th in NFL.

2007 Denver Broncos defense: Allowed 409 points (25.6/g), 28th in NFL.

2008 San Diego Chargers defense: Allowed 347 points (21.7/g), 15th in NFL.

2008 Denver Broncos defense: Allowed 448 points (28.0/g), 30th in NFL.

Atleast Phillip has a defense. Jay has had the 11 Stooges on that side of the ball.

400HZ
03-16-2009, 07:45 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2007.htm

Atleast Phillip has a defense. Jay has had the 11 Stooges on that side of the ball.

I heard Jay mention that. :rofl:

DrFate
03-16-2009, 07:47 PM

I R confused. In one thread, I'm told that stats don't make a good QB. And I'm told I'm stupid because I don't know that.

Yet know, I'm told that Rivers was the #1 rated QB (certainly true) and that makes Rivers a great QB. And I'm told I'm stupid because I don't know that.

I don't get it.

ZONA
03-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I think the Tomlin example is a good one, especially how he didnt go to Pittsburgh and force the 4-3 and his defensive philosophies on the team.

That's because it was already a good team. Geez lex, you never think before you post do you?

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I R confused. In one thread, I'm told that stats don't make a good QB. And I'm told I'm stupid because I don't know that.

Yet know, I'm told that Rivers was the #1 rated QB (certainly true) and that makes Rivers a great QB. And I'm told I'm stupid because I don't know that.

I don't get it.

Probably same idots who wanted a trade for Peppers because he would be a beast only to change their tune after Patsy's get him. Now he is a lazy no good bum.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Sacks? you think sacks? How about hurries? How about INT's , how about yards per rush against? Come on, give me some real D stats, as far as Rivers 20-36 217 0/1, does not sound like he carried the team to victory. Sounds like Dilfer stats. Just don't crash the corvette kind of day. One last note, How does this keep becoming about Jay Cutler? He has nothing to do with my argument here. This is about Phil "crying" Rivers and his so called "franchise" QB label that you guys want to slap on him.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:53 PM

I don't get it.

Don't argue logic... I've already bogged myself down in that quagmire. I'm arguing points and somehow, jay cutler keeps coming up...

ZONA
03-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Exactly. I have been saying this all day long yet we get the "sky is falling" crowd in here wanting McD's head on a platter. Josh said "I'll take care of it" because there is nothing to take care of. Ball is in Jay's court. Broncos have ALL the cards in their hand and Crook can try his best shameful tactics but the Broncos won't play his game.

People, quit with the panic attacks already and quit with the bashing. You're only going to look like a fool in the years to come when McD and Cutler both lead this team to playoff wins. Frankly, some of you are acting like 10 year old girls who got grounded for wearing makeup.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Where can I get a:

I'll take care of it Tee Shirt?

This is the greatest phrase since "I'll be back"

garandman
03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
As some have said... Extreme circumstances call for for extreme measures..
I think based on filtered media accounts that McDaniels gets it regarding Jay and all things being considered they need to make this right.

It's pretty obvious Jay wants some measure of reaching out to him, more than a text message. If McD and Bowlen show up on his doorstep in Nashville and say "We are not leaving town without you!" then I think Cutler would bite, unless he is demanding a new contract which possibly could be the case. As much as this has been spun by both guys this would be a great PR move for the Broncos even if it didn't work.

They would be going above and beyond and the two sided media would have to slide to Denver. Someone has to swallow there pride at this point and I think McD needs Jay now more than Jay needs Denver. I hope cooler heads can eventually prevail, and soon.

oubronco
03-16-2009, 08:01 PM
what are we supposed to think when he says "I'LL TAKE CARE OF IT" when he contradicts himself

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Exactly. I have been saying this all day long yet we get the "sky is falling" crowd in here wanting McD's head on a platter. Josh said "I'll take care of it" because there is nothing to take care of. Ball is in Jay's court. Broncos have ALL the cards in their hand and Crook can try his best shameful tactics but the Broncos won't play his game.

People, quit with the panic attacks already and quit with the bashing. You're only going to look like a fool in the years to come when McD and Cutler both lead this team to playoff wins. Frankly, some of you are acting like 10 year old girls who got grounded for wearing makeup.

I don't want MickyD to be fired, it's too late this year.

Admit he made a mistake, say they will deal with in house and talk Jay and his agent from the ledge.

He won't do it, instead we get "I'll take care of it"

Like he took care of it to begin with!

I hope he pulls the plane out of the spin but it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 08:05 PM
what are we supposed to think when he says "I'LL TAKE CARE OF IT" when he contradicts himself

I think MickyD has reached out to Chuck Norris to help him "TAKE CARE OF IT"!

I take that back, MickyD doesn't need any help! He will take care of it!

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll take care of it will be a T-Shirt. On the front will be, "I'll take care of it" on the back it will say "8-40 thanks for the memories McDoofus" I'll be selling them in three years....

garandman
03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
This was a monumental mistake by McD, I think he can still be a good coach, reminds me a lot of Shanny when he was young, very aggresive, and in this case it is going to be his downfall if he doesnt get his act together..

oubronco
03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I'll take care of it will be a T-Shirt. On the front will be, "I'll take care of it" on the back it will say "8-40 thanks for the memories McDoofus" I'll be selling them in three years....

and who will we be stuck with at QB is the million dollar question

gyldenlove
03-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Man, I',m only a quarter Italian, so I'm not too offended, but Dude easy....:rofl:

Sorry, my only experience with American Italians was in Jersey so I am probably a little biased... :thanku:

garandman
03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
It's funny, but in all seriousness that t-shirt would sell like hotcakes if Jay is traded come regular season...

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM

who did Cassel have on his team??? other than Moss (which is comaparable to Marshall)...plus he had a harder schedule to face....

granted the defense on the Pats did a much better job but if we are comparing offenses Cassel was much more efficient with the same type of talent...

what was different??? the scheme...who created that scheme???

McDaniels

checkmate

TotallyScrewed
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM

Exactly...spot on.

McDaniels has definitely made his mark on this team...**** all over the place. I would bet that there are more than a few veterans who see the next couple of years as their last hurrah, and are wondering whether they should have commited to this. This sucks and it's Bowlen's fault entirely.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
It's funny, but in all seriousness that t-shirt would sell like hotcakes if Jay is traded come regular season...

Yeah, which is why i ain't kidding, if jay gets traded and we go into the tank, at least I can make a profit out of it if all else fails....:yayaya:

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 08:17 PM

I got to have one printed up.

This phrase is the stupidest thing said by a HC since YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
who did Cassel have on his team??? other than Moss (which is comaparable to Marshall)...plus he had a harder schedule to face....

granted the defense on the Pats did a much better job but if we are comparing offenses Cassel was much more efficient with the same type of talent...

McDaniels

checkmate

LMAO! Are you comparing Randy moss and Marshall? And are you saying that McDaniels Created that offense? And , are you saying that the Pats and the Broncos are similar teams on offense, and finally, are you telling me that Cassel won something? i think you may have pre mature e-checkumated....

ZONA
03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't want MickyD to be fired, it's too late this year.

Admit he made a mistake, say they will deal with in house and talk Jay and his agent from the ledge.

He won't do it, instead we get "I'll take care of it"

Like he took care of it to begin with!

I hope he pulls the plane out of the spin but it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

What gets me about all the Josh bashers out there is this. Jay himself said he was just ready to move on, get past this but felt like McD and crew didn't convey to him they wanted him here. Yet we are reading in the paper that they publicly announce they want him here and they don't understand how Jay could come to any other conclusions. But this "issue" has changed now to a gap in communication as far as Jay feeling like he is wanted. But the Josh bashers only continue on their rants about how he lied to Jay when that is based on PURE speculation at best. I mean, cmon, you couldn't even get that case to court because it would be thrown out based on lack of evidence to even have a trial. My theory is you guys are just picking a side because you know Cutler as the QB of your team and you have been following him for a few years now and Josh is the new guy and you don't like him. It feels like the Mane has turned into a high school locker room. If the Josh bashers would try and look at this from the perspective of a judge, how would you see it, based on the FACTS. Not any speculation.

Who gives a damn if they wanted to trade Jay. They didn't and now they don't want to. Like it or not, Jay "the player" is personal property of the Denver Broncos. A player has to see it like that. Take his personal feelings out of it. Jay says he understands that, and he truly does realize it's a business, according to his own words. Then show us that. The Broncos are publicly stating they want him here and will not trade him so if Jay truly does understand it's business, he would just fly back to Denver and show up.

I'm not trying to bash on either party here. I'm just trying to look at FACTS. The facts say Jay Cutler the player is personal property and he has a contract to fulfill. I think the Broncos will give him a bump in pay, but probably not the "mother lode" Cook is trying to get. I think Jay is growing as a player but he is not yet the elite QB that deserves HUGE money right now.

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
LMAO! Are you comparing Randy moss and Marshall? And are you saying that McDaniels Created that offense? And , are you saying that the Pats and the Broncos are similar teams on offense, and finally, are you telling me that Cassel won something? i think you may have pre mature e-checkumated....

I am definitely comparing Marshall to Moss at this stage in their careers....

Cassel won 11 games last year....repeat eleven games...in one year...thats only 6 less than Jay has won in his whole career...

McDaniels took that QB under his wing and created a scheme when the ALL-WORLD QB went down and that offense was much more efficient than ours...and they had Sammy Morris, Maroney and a group of chumps carrying the ball

you wanted to compare offenses...so i thought it was interesting...

for the record I know Cutler is more talented than Cassel

but McDaniels + Cassel was better than Shanahan + Cutler last yaer

rastaman
03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
McDaniels is the one who lied here, I'd be pissed too. Imagine if your company merged with a bigger one, and you got a new boss. They are laying people off left and right, but the new boss calls you in and tells you your the star of the company and they want you to be the next in command and start things off on the right track. They say they want you around for years to come and even give you a raise! Then you find out the next day they are interviewing for your job!? I'd be looking for a new job too. Who knows when you'll be out of work anyway and besides, you can't trust them! You people forget, this is a game to us, but it's his job! He makes his living doing this, and this guy just comes in and starts fuhking with his life! I'd be pissed too!

SJ....bingo! and Touche'. I wish all the Cutler haters would stop and think for just a minute that its not just all business when the owner, FO, and coaches say it is. Players know its a business as well and will act on their own best interest. What do the fans know about playing in the NFL from a physical-talent level.

If the fans had the talent they wouldn't be sitting in the stands as cheer-leaders! They'd be out there on the field b/c they had the talent to play on the NFL level.

Unlike the fans, Cutler knows he's just one severe knee injury way from a career ending injury and it can happen in practice, the pre-season, or the 1st play in the regular season.

Hell, not even McDaniels puts his health and body on the line on "Any-Given-Sunday".....He's just an unproven glorified teacher and motivator who needs to sell his X's and O's.

A career threatening injury for McDaniels would be a severe head trauma injury or having to spend the rest of his life in a wheel chair. So what does McDaniels truly have to worry about!!!!

rastaman
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM

Cassel won 11 games last year....repeat eleven games...in one year...thats only 6 less than Jay has won in his whole career...

McDaniels took that QB under his wing and created a scheme when the ALL-WORLD QB went down and that offense was much more efficient than ours...and they had Sammy Morris, Maroney and a group of chumps carrying the ball

Well Cassell and McDaniels also had a running attack to depend upon and a Defense and special teams that wasn't have bad.

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Well Cassell and McDaniels also had a running attack to depend upon and a Defense and special teams that wasn't have bad.

I said in the first post that we were just comparing offenses...

Efficiency was the key to the Pats success on offense....

and I bet if you take a look at the running games, they were pretty much the same...Maroney was a joke, Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk arent any better than who we had on our roseter....well, maybe Faulk was

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
What gets me about all the Josh bashers out there is this. Jay himself said he was just ready to move on, get past this but felt like McD and crew didn't convey to him they wanted him here. Yet we are reading in the paper that they publicly announce they want him here and they don't understand how Jay could come to any other conclusions. But this "issue" has changed now to a gap in communication as far as Jay feeling like he is wanted. But the Josh bashers only continue on their rants about how he lied to Jay when that is based on PURE speculation at best. I mean, cmon, you couldn't even get that case to court because it would be thrown out based on lack of evidence to even have a trial. My theory is you guys are just picking a side because you know Cutler as the QB of your team and you have been following him for a few years now and Josh is the new guy and you don't like him. It feels like the Mane has turned into a high school locker room. If the Josh bashers would try and look at this from the perspective of a judge, how would you see it, based on the FACTS. Not any speculation.

Who gives a damn if they wanted to trade Jay. They didn't and now they don't want to. Like it or not, Jay "the player" is personal property of the Denver Broncos. A player has to see it like that. Take his personal feelings out of it. Jay says he understands that, and he truly does realize it's a business, according to his own words. Then show us that. The Broncos are publicly stating they want him here and will not trade him so if Jay truly does understand it's business, he would just fly back to Denver and show up.

I'm not trying to bash on either party here. I'm just trying to look at FACTS. The facts say Jay Cutler the player is personal property and he has a contract to fulfill. I think the Broncos will give him a bump in pay, but probably not the "mother lode" Cook is trying to get. I think Jay is growing as a player but he is not yet the elite QB that deserves HUGE money right now.

Both guys have big Ego's, the "I'll take care of it" gem pushed the scale to Cutlers side for me.

rastaman
03-16-2009, 08:28 PM

So basically you're saying that Cutler is a well payed Slave and he need to just shout up and play ball!!!!! That attitude and outlook won't fly with the football players of the 21st century.

You do know this was the attitude that was displayed by owners toward their players in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's! That time has come and gone.:thumbs:

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 08:30 PM

With that logic, then we should have hired Kubiac, cause he designed our offense when he was here? You need to know more about the process, and BTW, By the time Randy moss was in his second year, he was the most feared player in the game, I don't think marshall is even close. Randy Moss made three QB's look like HOFer's till he left, he only had one bad year in oakland. He draws THREE defenders to him on any deep rout, My grand ma ma could find an open guy. Also, the Pats have a FEARED defensive scheme. That's where that record comes into play. Now with that being said, I told people half way through the season that i think Matt will be a solid starting QB for someone in the league, so i won't discount that completely, but the Pats front office is where they excel. That organization has a great all around game plan (AND TAPES OF THE OTHER TEAMS SIGNALS;)) I think the hoodie is working the coaching staff, i think it won't matter who takes over that OC spot, they will still move the ball.

broncswin
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Go Broncos!! ;D

Breck Bronc
03-16-2009, 09:17 PM

McDaniels

checkmateUm....ever heard of Wes Welker? That's all their offense was -- short passes to Welker in the slot, Faulk out of the backfield, and the occasional medium length pass to Moss. Dink and dunk Cassel. Their offense averaged 30 less yards per game than Denver's and scored 2 more points per game. If we would have kept Bates as OC and let the young offense grow together for another season the points per game was bound to match the yards per game in the top-5 in the NFL. Now we've got just as many questions on offense as our historically bad defense.

Oh yeah, a harder schedule to face? New England's opponents had 6 more wins than Denver's opponents. That's irrelavent.

Broncojef
03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Um....ever heard of Wes Welker? That's all their offense was -- short passes to Welker in the slot, Faulk out of the backfield, and the occasional medium length pass to Moss. Dink and dunk Cassel. Their offense averaged 30 less yards per game than Denver's and scored 2 more points per game. If we would have kept Bates as OC and let the young offense grow together for another season the points per game was bound to match the yards per game in the top-5 in the NFL. Now we've got just as many questions on offense as our historically bad defense.

Oh yeah, a harder schedule to face? New England's opponents had 6 more wins than Denver's opponents. That's irrelavent.

Cutler is an all or nothing QB. He had games against the Raiders (the first one) where he and the offense looked ubeatable, and games like the second one against the Raiders where he and the boys just sucked. The problem with Jay is you just don't know what you'll get week to week, everyone remembers the times we clicked but just as many times we looked horrid as well. McD is trying to implement a system where the offense is stable and produces in a similar fashion week to week and thats just not what you get with Jay. I wasn't a Bates fan and am glad he's gone, outside of the scripted series to begin the game we had no gameplan week to week and sometime 10-15 WR screen calls per game. Shanny had two very weak coordinators and it cost him his job IMO. We weren't going anywhere this next year anyway with all this transition. We should focus on building our cornerstones on guys who are stable and want to be winners here long term. McD will be a good coach when all of this blows over.

Xenos
03-16-2009, 09:30 PM

Top 4 QBs? I thought ApaOps was randomly naming QBs that fit the mold of a franchise quarterback. Because I honestly don't think Ben is a top four QB even after winning two Superbowls. Top 10? Yes. But he needs to start learning to read defenses and changing up protection schemes if he wants to continue to have a career in the NFL.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Top 4 QBs? I thought ApaOps was randomly naming QBs that fit the mold of a franchise quarterback.

Yep

~Crash~
03-16-2009, 09:34 PM

well that is easy fir McD he is a dip **** that cannot even trade a proven Pro bowler FQB for a one year wonder then he lies about it . ground for dismissal IMO

~Crash~
03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Cutler is an all or nothing QB. He had games against the Raiders (the first one) where he and the offense looked ubeatable, and games like the second one against the Raiders where he and the boys just sucked. The problem with Jay is you just don't know what you'll get week to week, everyone remembers the times we clicked but just as many times we looked horrid as well. McD is trying to implement a system where the offense is stable and produces in a similar fashion week to week and thats just not what you get with Jay. I wasn't a Bates fan and am glad he's gone, outside of the scripted series to begin the game we had no gameplan week to week and sometime 10-15 WR screen calls per game. Shanny had two very weak coordinators and it cost him his job IMO. We weren't going anywhere this next year anyway with all this transition. We should focus on building our cornerstones on guys who are stable and want to be winners here long term. McD will be a good coach when all of this blows over.

yep and when you can hear a pin drop in the 14 th game of the season in mile high yopu and all McD ball washers will be calling for his head .:thumbs:

Dedhed
03-16-2009, 09:39 PM

I don't get it.
It sounds to me like you're stupid.

Breck Bronc
03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Cutler is an all or nothing QB. He had games against the Raiders (the first one) where he and the offense looked ubeatable, and games like the second one against the Raiders where he and the boys just sucked. The problem with Jay is you just don't know what you'll get week to week, everyone remembers the times we clicked but just as many times we looked horrid as well. McD is trying to implement a system where the offense is stable and produces in a similar fashion week to week and thats just not what you get with Jay. I wasn't a Bates fan and am glad he's gone, outside of the scripted series to begin the game we had no gameplan week to week and sometime 10-15 WR screen calls per game. Shanny had two very weak coordinators and it cost him his job IMO. We weren't going anywhere this next year anyway with all this transition. We should focus on building our cornerstones on guys who are stable and want to be winners here long term. McD will be a good coach when all of this blows over.Cassel had the same streakiness. He had 7 games with over a 100 QB rating (and only threw 8 passes in one of them) and 3 with a below 70 rating. Cutler had 5 games over a 100 and 3 lower than 70. Remember our MNF game in New England last season? Cassel looked like a joke until Champ Bailey got hurt, then he just threw it to Moss who was abusing our backup CB (can't remember if it was Paymah or one of the other scrubs).

I didn't like Bates' propensity for throwing the WR screen, but McDaniels' loves that short stuff, too.

Dedhed
03-16-2009, 09:41 PM
when you can hear a pin drop in the 14 th game of the season in mile high
We've all become pretty familiar with that feeling over the last decade.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
yep and when you can hear a pin drop in the 14 th game of the season in mile high yopu and all McD ball washers will be calling for his head .:thumbs:

http://www.trackdayshots.com/posthosting/DoYouSpeakEnglish.gif

~Crash~
03-16-2009, 09:45 PM

I bet you he never walked in and started lying to his QB...:thanku:

~Crash~
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
http://www.trackdayshots.com/posthosting/DoYouSpeakEnglish.gif

you a ****ing broken record .:welcome:

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
you a ****ing broken record .:welcome:

I know its funny! I know its funny! I know its funny! I know its funny! I know its funny! I know its funny! :wiggle:

~Crash~
03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
there is about ten of you that cannot wait for 1-15 seasons .... it is coming

and that is because McDaniels: says I'll take care of it

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Can't wait to make fun of you when you try to come up with excuses when a 1-15 season doesn't happen.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Can't wait to make fun of you when you try to come up with excuses when a 1-15 season doesn't happen.

I'm curious Apa...

Without Jay what do you think our record will be this season and the following season?

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm curious Apa...

Without Jay what do you think our record will be this season and the following season?

The same as with Jay this year 6-10 horrid schedule. Next year 9-7 or better. Its not even given that Jay can manage McD's offense. It requires too much discipline and management. Jay is a gunslinger make it up as he goes. Thats a great quality but I know he isn't the difference between 9-7 and 1-15. He isn't Elway, Manning, or Roth as much as some want him to be.

~Crash~
03-16-2009, 10:02 PM

well you act like I want 1-15 . I am pissed that we are not working on the defense !!!!!! I am pissed they are about to run off on fine QB ! instead I hear people talking about trades of rubber armed QB's !

You act like I want us not to win I see a team about to go under and our owner looking more and more like Al Davis .

to the people that think we are on the right track enjoy . I am not .

Xenos
03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Yep

If you want to talk about the 6 other "potential" franchise QBs. These are the ones that come to mind.

Arranged in no order whatsoever.

1. Drew Brees
They need a defense and Payton needs to give Drew a running game, but he does a great job of spreading the ball to whoever is open. The main advantage he has is that he doesn't really have a favorite so there's no one he really locks onto. However, his success is predicated on his timing with his receivers due to his height disadvantage so if a defense messes up that timing, he really struggles.

2. Donovan McNabb
What I can say. He does wonders with no wide receivers especially in an offense that is 70 percent passing. He's never won the big one, but he did lead his team to the NFC Championship five times.

3. Carson Palmer
He has to deal with a horrible defense and injuries last year, but when he's on, he's probably one of the best at what he does. Not to mention that Chad Johnson is like TO in how cancerous he can be.

4. Tony Romo
I think the subtraction of TO will make Romo better. He has all the tools to be great even though he has a horrible December and post season record. Kinda falls into the Palmer category in terms of franchise QB.

5. Aaron Rodgers
You think your defense was bad...his was probably worst. I believe the Packers were 4th in scoring overall and their defense still let them down. The guy had a great statistical year and would have won more games if his defense didn't lose it for him in the last drive

6. Matt Ryan
He had a strong running game last year to take pressure off him, but he just has this "it" quality about him. His stats weren't great but everything I've read about him as well as what I've seen when the Falcons played, he is a franchise QB. He didn't get as far as Flacco did in the playoffs, but what makes him a franchise QB is his intelligence and hard work. It's pretty incredible that he was able to digest the Falcon's playbook and run a no huddle so quickly. He has potential to be the next Peyton.

In the end, I honestly think Cutler is a franchise QB. His main flaw lies in the fact that he trusts his physical abilities too much, which lead to more interceptions than is necessary as well as other mistakes. Even when you have a steady running game with Peyton Hillis, you still have games like the one with Oakland. The play calling was also atrocious last year at the redzone. The first San Diego game comes to mind where he has a chance to score a TD, but instead throws an interception instead. However, some of his attitude recently has made me wonder about him.

I can understand being upset about hearing his name in trade talks, but I think he's taking it a little too far. The best thing would have just been to take it like a man and show McDaniels up. If McDaniels treated him horribly like he said, then all the more reason to prove him wrong and increase your trade value. Complaining about management (especially when the guy who writes your paycheck sides with the HC) is not going to end well. In the end, he can be the next Elway or the next Jeff George. And people will draw more parallels to the latter the further this goes on. Before you know it, they'll use his losing record through college and the NFL, as well as his perceived "sensitivity" to make that case. But in the end, I think he has more between his shoulders than George. Just fire your agent before you become the Brett Favre of this year.

~Crash~
03-16-2009, 10:08 PM
The same as with Jay this year 6-10 horrid schedule. Next year 9-7 or better. Its not even given that Jay can manage McD's offense. It requires too much discipline and management. Jay is a gunslinger make it up as he goes. Thats a great quality but I know he isn't the difference between 9-7 and 1-15. He isn't Elway, Manning, or Roth as much as some want him to be.

I give you wright your own history IGGY for you .

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 10:10 PM
I give you wright your own history IGGY for you .

THANK GOD!

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
If you want to talk about the 6 other "potential" franchise QBs. These are the ones that come to mind.

Arranged in no order whatsoever.

1. Drew Brees
They need a defense and Payton needs to give Drew a running game, but he does a great job of spreading the ball to whoever is open. The main advantage he has is that he doesn't really have a favorite so there's no one he really locks onto. However, his success is predicated on his timing with his receivers due to his height disadvantage so if a defense messes up that timing, he really struggles.

2. Donovan McNabb
What I can say. He does wonders with no wide receivers especially in an offense that is 70 percent passing. He's never won the big one, but he did lead his team to the NFC Championship five times.

3. Carson Palmer
He has to deal with a horrible defense and injuries last year, but when he's on, he's probably one of the best at what he does. Not to mention that Chad Johnson is like TO in how cancerous he can be.

4. Tony Romo
I think the subtraction of TO will make Romo better. He has all the tools to be great even though he has a horrible December and post season record. Kinda falls into the Palmer category in terms of franchise QB.

5. Aaron Rodgers
You think your defense was bad...his was probably worst. I believe the Packers were 4th in scoring overall and their defense still let them down. The guy had a great statistical year and would have won more games if his defense didn't lose it for him in the last drive

6. Matt Ryan
He had a strong running game last year to take pressure off him, but he just has this "it" quality about him. His stats weren't great but everything I've read about him as well as what I've seen when the Falcons played, he is a franchise QB. He didn't get as far as Flacco did in the playoffs, but what makes him a franchise QB is his intelligence and hard work. It's pretty incredible that he was able to digest the Falcon's playbook and run a no huddle so quickly. He has potential to be the next Peyton.

In the end, I honestly think Cutler is a franchise QB. His main flaw lies in the fact that he trusts his physical abilities too much, which lead to more interceptions than is necessary as well as other mistakes. Even when you have a steady running game with Peyton Hillis, you still have games like the one with Oakland. The play calling was also atrocious last year at the redzone. The first San Diego game comes to mind where he has a chance to score a TD, but instead throws an interception instead. However, some of his attitude recently has made me wonder about him.

I can understand being upset about hearing his name in trade talks, but I think he's taking it a little too far. The best thing would have just been to take it like a man and show McDaniels up. If McDaniels treated him horribly like he said, then all the more reason to prove him wrong and increase your trade value. Complaining about management (especially when the guy who writes your paycheck sides with the HC) is not going to end well. In the end, he can be the next Elway or the next Jeff George. And people will draw more parallels to the latter the further this goes on. Before you know it, they'll lose his losing record through college and the NFL, as well as his perceived "sensitivity" to make that case. But in the end, I think he has more between his shoulders than George. Just get fire your agent before you become the Brett Favre of this year.

Its time to hit the sack but thats a good list. Ryan too early to tell. Carson injured too much. Aaron Rogers again his first year. I would put Cutler ahead of 2 out of 3 of these because he does have a ton of ability and endurance. If he could cultivate the maturity watch out.

But I would like to continue this discussion tomorrow.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 10:13 PM
well you act like I want 1-15 . I am pissed that we are not working on the defense !!!!!! I am pissed they are about to run off on fine QB ! instead I hear people talking about trades of rubber armed QB's !

You act like I want us not to win I see a team about to go under and our owner looking more and more like Al Davis .

to the people that think we are on the right track enjoy . I am not .

The safety is already upgraded. The opposite corner is upgraded. The DL and remaining LB corp will be upgraded in the draft. The draft is where you build your front 7 and that is what will happen.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 10:27 PM
5. Aaron Rodgers

While I think Aaron Rodgers was phenomenal last year...

His teams scoring defense was 22nd, ours was 30th.

They allowed 23.8 points a game we allowed 28 points a game.

They also allowed 334 yards a game while we gave up 375 yards a game.

His team also had 22 interceptions, we had 6.

They also returned 6 int's for TD's, we did 0.

They had 1 less fumble recovery than us as well but forced 5 more.

Green Bay has a vastly superior defense last year when compared to ours.

Some analysts actually can't remember a worse defense than ours.

I can...

It was Green Bay's when Bob Slowik was their DC. (it set NFL records)

Our Broncos D last year was close on a few of them. (related to TO's)

SoCalBronco
03-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Where can I get a:

I'll take care of it Tee Shirt?

This is the greatest phrase since "I'll be back"

Actually, its the greatest phrase since "The Deal is Done".

lex
03-16-2009, 10:35 PM
That's because it was already a good team. Geez lex, you never think before you post do you?

No, the Steelers had a good defense,...just like Denver had a good offense when McDaniels arrived in Denver. Tomlin's expertise was defense. He came from a team that ran a 4-3. He went to a game that already had a good defense but one that was a 3-4. He didnt change it just to stroke his own ego. He didnt get rid of Dick LeBeau. Similarly, Denver had the second ranked offense but unlike Tomlin, McDaniels had to change the offense for the sake of changing it. Were you able to follow the bouncing ball this time?

vancejohnson82
03-17-2009, 07:43 AM
With that logic, then we should have hired Kubiac, cause he designed our offense when he was here? You need to know more about the process, and BTW, By the time Randy moss was in his second year, he was the most feared player in the game, I don't think marshall is even close. Randy Moss made three QB's look like HOFer's till he left, he only had one bad year in oakland. He draws THREE defenders to him on any deep rout, My grand ma ma could find an open guy. Also, the Pats have a FEARED defensive scheme. That's where that record comes into play. Now with that being said, I told people half way through the season that i think Matt will be a solid starting QB for someone in the league, so i won't discount that completely, but the Pats front office is where they excel. That organization has a great all around game plan (AND TAPES OF THE OTHER TEAMS SIGNALS;)) I think the hoodie is working the coaching staff, i think it won't matter who takes over that OC spot, they will still move the ball.

Oh good....I wasnt aware that you had a time machine handy...

well, lets make a trade for '98 Randy Moss and then '04 Gary Kubiak can be are head coach....anyone else you want to pick up from the past....I said MARSHALL WAS COMPARABLE TO RANDY MOSS LAST YEAR

and don't tell me I need to know more about the process...because McDaniels was highly regarded aroudn the league for controlling that offense..

TonyR
03-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Similarly, Denver had the second ranked offense but unlike Tomlin, McDaniels had to change the offense for the sake of changing it.

Here we go with the second ranked offense nonsense yet again. Look, if McD's changes involve getting into the end zone we should all welcome them.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Here we go with the second ranked offense nonsense yet again. Look, if McD's changes involve getting into the end zone we should all welcome them.

Field position.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Field position.

Excuse.

lex
03-17-2009, 08:54 AM

I agree with what Kaylore said about that being a function of losing RBs. When we had Hillis and Pittman, we had few problems scoring inside the 10. If they improve in this area and have healthier RBs, it likely wont be because of McDaniels per se...unless McDaniels actually spends a high pick on a RB but that doesnt seem likely.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I agree with what Kaylore said about that being a function of losing RBs. When we had Hillis and Pittman, we had few problems scoring inside the 10. If they improve in this area and have healthier RBs, it likely wont be because of McDaniels per se...unless McDaniels actually spends a high pick on a RB but that doesnt seem likely.

Were we better with Hillis and Pittman? Yes. Did they solve all of the problems? No. Let me remind you of the November Oakland game where we scored 10 points and got blown out at home with a healthy Hillis.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Excuse.

Retarded/Ignorant

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/3098993205_515ff24398.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/3099826898_613dde6543.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/3098993225_fc5aa77dd7.jpg?v=0

Educate yourself above, or continue to bang your drum little toy soldier.

vancejohnson82
03-17-2009, 08:58 AM

and now this is going to be a pattern for next year....

oh, this improvement isn't because of McDaniels...this was already happening...

but this glaring fault in the team is DEFINITELY McDaniels....

cmon, you cant do that...you cant have your cake and eat it too

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Hillis and Pittman took the offense from dominant to very dominant. That's the only impact they had in scoring.

The direct relationship between yards and points is completely a function of short fields from turnovers and special teams. That's not up to debate. It's a fact.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Retarded/Ignorant...

If you truly think that field position is the whole, or the only, problem this offense had then your delusion is complete. Again, go re-watch the November Oakland game and see if field position can explain that train wreck. Ridiculous. You're way too smart for this. Go make some pie charts.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 09:06 AM
If you truly think that field position is the whole, or the only, problem this offense had then your delusion is complete. Again, go re-watch the November Oakland game and see if field position can explain that train wreck. Ridiculous. You're way too smart for this. Go make some pie charts.

Take a breather. Now look at the compiled data of all teams. It's glaringly apparent and completely inarguable.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I'd like to formally apologize for insinuating you might be retarded. That's simply not true.

vancejohnson82
03-17-2009, 09:15 AM
The Denver Broncos Defense - The Truth About The Kansas City Loss

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/profile_images/1956/MileHighReport_tiny.jpg by TheSportsGuru (http://www.milehighreport.com/users/TheSportsGuru) on Sep 30, 2008 9:04 PM MDT (http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/9/30/625611/the-denver-broncos-defense) in The Quest (http://www.milehighreport.com/section/the-quest) http://cdn3.sbnation.com/images/icons/comment.v1599.png 24 comments
It seems like every week the same people say the same thing about the Broncos defense. We hear how horrible they are, how they can't stop the run, how they can't defend the pass, how they can't put pressure on the quarterback. Some of that is true, we all know that, but something has become a disturbing trend, something that continues to be overlooked. Much of the problems with the defense start with the offense and special teams. No, really, it does.
Specifically against Kansas City, I'd go so far as to say the defense, for over 3 quarters, played as well as it did against the Raiders Week 1. Unfortunately, the offense didn't give them much of a chance. What is certain is the Broncos defense is by no means a dominant defense in any facet, run defense, pass defense, pressuring the quarterback, none of it. The defense as a group is average at best, but with the offense the Broncos put on the field this team should be able to win, unless the offense, the strength of the team, let's it down. On Sunday, that is exactly what happened.
Take a look at the drive chart for the Chiefs on Sunday --
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5547.jpg

<TABLE><TBODY><TR class=majorHeader><TD class=textLeftPad10px colSpan=6>1st Quarter</TD></TR><TR><TH>Start
Time</TH><TH>Time
Poss</TH><TH>Drive
Began</TH><TH># of
Plays</TH><TH>Net
Yards</TH><TH>Result</TH></TR><TR class=rowAlt><TD>15:00</TD><TD>5:55</TD><TD>KC 11</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>84</TD><TD>Field Goal</TD></TR><TR><TD>08:24</TD><TD>3:46</TD><TD>DEN 26</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>Field Goal</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt><TD>01:16</TD><TD>3:36</TD><TD>KC 48</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>22</TD><TD>Missed FG</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE><TBODY><TR class=majorHeader><TD class=textLeftPad10px colSpan=6>2nd Quarter</TD></TR><TR><TH>Start
Time</TH><TH>Time
Poss</TH><TH>Drive
Began</TH><TH># of
Plays</TH><TH>Net
Yards</TH><TH>Result</TH></TR><TR class=rowAlt><TD>08:53</TD><TD>2:59</TD><TD>KC 19</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>Punt</TD></TR><TR><TD>03:26</TD><TD>0:43</TD><TD>DEN 2</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>Touchdown</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt><TD>01:18</TD><TD>0:43</TD><TD>KC 20</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>Punt</TD></TR><TR><TD>00:11</TD><TD>0:11</TD><TD>KC 40</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-1</TD><TD>End of Half</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE><TBODY><TR class=majorHeader><TD class=textLeftPad10px colSpan=6>3rd Quarter</TD></TR><TR><TH>Start
Time</TH><TH>Time
Poss</TH><TH>Drive
Began</TH><TH># of
Plays</TH><TH>Net
Yards</TH><TH>Result</TH></TR><TR class=rowAlt><TD>12:13</TD><TD>3:30</TD><TD>KC 37</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>38</TD><TD>Field Goal</TD></TR><TR><TD>07:32</TD><TD>0:11</TD><TD>DEN 43</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-2</TD><TD>Fumble</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt><TD>06:29</TD><TD>1:25</TD><TD>DEN 47</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>Punt</TD></TR><TR><TD>03:26</TD><TD>5:46</TD><TD>KC 27</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>73</TD><TD>Touchdown</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE><TBODY><TR class=majorHeader><TD class=textLeftPad10px colSpan=6>4th Quarter</TD></TR><TR><TH>Start
Time</TH><TH>Time
Poss</TH><TH>Drive
Began</TH><TH># of
Plays</TH><TH>Net
Yards</TH><TH>Result</TH></TR><TR class=rowAlt><TD>07:58</TD><TD>4:09</TD><TD>DEN 49</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>Field Goal</TD></TR><TR><TD>02:06</TD><TD>0:29</TD><TD>DEN 43</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>43</TD><TD>Touchdown
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>A couple things stand out almost immediately. First, the Chiefs average starting field position was it's own 47 yardline. Think about that for a minute. The Chiefs had the ball 12 times in the game(not counting the drive right before halftime), and basically started every possession, on average, at midfield. Not Good.
Let's look a bit deeper. First, a bit of my own opinion. To me, solid kick-off ocverage is determined by where the opposition starts their possession after the kick. In fact, the key to winning football games is winning the battle of field position. Case in point are the 2006 and 2007 Broncos who were dead last in average starting field position.
Obviously, a touchback is the best case scenario, forcing a team to start at their own 20. Not trying to be too diificult, I'll give the Broncos another 10 yards to play with and call any drive started by an opponent inside their own 30 is solid. That forces a team to go 50-60 yards to reach the Broncos Red Zone. 5 to 6 first downs. Tough going against any defense in the NFL, if you have to do it over and over again. Let's look at it.
The Chiefs started offensive possessions inside their 30 yardline just 4 times out of 11 drives. The results of those drives -- FG, Punt, Punt, TD. 10 Points Allowed. Acceptable. Let's give the Chiefs 10 more yards and look at possessions started inside their own 40. Now there are 5 total possessions out of 12. The results - FG, Punt, Punt, TD, FG. 13 Points. Sure, there were some big plays in there, and every defense will surrender big plays now and then. The key to playing defense, especially against a team like the Chiefs, is to force them to have to go the long way to score. When the Broncos, as a team, did that, the Chiefs scored 1 TD in 5 possessions.
How about the other 7 possessions that started accross the 40 yard line. Incredibly, 6 of those drives started in Denver territory. SIX TIMES the Chiefs began an offensive possession across the 50 yard line. This is where the offense and special teams really let the defense down.
The first two possessions that started in Denver territory - (Den 26, Den 2), were on the fumbles by Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall. Both of these came in the first half and at the point the Chiefs took possession they were already in solid field goal range. Both possessions led to points(FG, TD).
Now it is Cutler's turn, throwing the two interceptions, giving the Chiefs the ball inside Denver territory again(Den 43, Den 47). With the Chiefs outside FG range, the defense hold strong, forcing a turnover and a punt, keeping the game clase(16-13), a very manageable situation for the offense. Unfortunately, the offense did little to help the defense, going 3-and-out. The Broncos offense had the ball 4 times in the 3rd quarter for a total of 6:28. They ran a total of 16 plays, and crossed midfield only once, on the first drive of the 3rd quarter. Still, the Broncos appeared to be in good shape. The offense had turned the ball over 4 times and the defense had held the Chiefs to 16 points.
Now it was the Special Team's turn. After the Chiefs scored the only TD their offense earned all day, it became the coverage unit that let the defense down. The Broncos answered the Chiefs TD with a FG -- Red Zone inefficiency - 1/4 on the day - is another way the offense hurt the defense, but that has been talked about all week -- the Broncos were looking to pin the Chiefs deep. Someone make a play! Nope. The Chiefs are once again able to begin a possession in Denver territory when they break open the kick-off return. The Chiefs need only 34 yards to answer the Broncos FG with 3 points of thier own.
Again, the Broncos drive down and score, another field goal, and hope is renewed. Again, the special teams miss out, this time on an onside kick. Yes, odds are against the recovery of an onside kick, but Spencer Larsen was THAT close. Someone make a play!
The Chiefs take over and score the game's final points, a Larry Johnson touchdown. The possession needs to travel only 43 yards.
Do you see a trend? The Broncos allowed 33 points. Only 13 would be what I consider "earned points" by the Chiefs. That's not to say that the Chiefs wouldn't have scored if the Broncos didn't continously give them the ball in Broncos' territory, but the odds were in the Broncos favor.
Football is the ultmate team game. The idea of this post isn't to lay blame at the feet of the offense. It is meant to remove full blame from the defense alone, and educate those of you not lucky enough to watch the game on what actually happened, beyond the boxscore. The Broncos defense has alot of work to do. But the offense we are so excited about needs to do it's part if the Broncos are to be successful and stop setting the defense up to fail. That, my MHR brethern, is The Quest moving forward.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Now look at the compiled data of all teams. It's glaringly apparent and completely inarguable.

I 100% agree that field position is a factor. I 100% do not agree that better field postion would have been the magic elixir to completely fix our offense. I don't have the stats to back it up but I have a hunch Arizona didn't have favorable field position stats and they did okay. And field position certainly can't completely explain that Oakland debacle I keep bringing up but nobody has even a half-hearted explanation for.

TonyR
03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Much of the problems with the defense start with the offense and special teams. No, really, it does.

The Broncos defense has alot of work to do. But the offense we are so excited about needs to do it's part if the Broncos are to be successful and stop setting the defense up to fail.

Say it ain't so...

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Say it ain't so...

Where's that eye roll emoticon?

That example is the exception to the rule AND factored into the charts above.

TheReverend
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I 100% agree that field position is a factor. I 100% do not agree that better field postion would have been the magic elixir to completely fix our offense. I don't have the stats to back it up but I have a hunch Arizona didn't have favorable field position stats and they did okay. And field position certainly can't completely explain that Oakland debacle I keep bringing up but nobody has even a half-hearted explanation for.

Actually they had good field position and 150% more defensive turnovers...

vancejohnson82
03-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Where's that eye roll emoticon?

That example is the exception to the rule AND factored into the charts above.

part of the reason we had such terrible field position stats was ST and the fact that we would throw 3 passes at times, take30 seconds off the clock and punt away...not moving the ball an inch...Chiefs game is a great example

not Jay's fault...but this highly regarded offense had its problems

garandman
03-17-2009, 10:35 AM
People are really nitpicking here... This offense was very explosive, yeah it wasn't perfect but the other 2 phases were not even in the same ballpark.
A lot of the turnovers the offense made were because they were desperate to score on every possession, knowing that most likely the D would give up points every time (which was usually the case).

You knew when we weren't on our A game offensively, were couldnt win.

ST and the D are the problems, don't fix it if it aint' broken, Jesus why doesn't anyone get that...

garandman
03-17-2009, 10:37 AM
:notworthy Retarded/Ignorant

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/3098993205_515ff24398.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/3099826898_613dde6543.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/3098993225_fc5aa77dd7.jpg?v=0

:notworthy

LOL, this is like a sharp dressed executive going into an interview with a PP presentation vs. Larry the cable guy with a wadded up resume...