PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Scheduled to work out Purdue QB Painter

HEAV
03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Daniel Mogollon, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Denver Broncos are scheduled to work out Purdue University QB Curtis Painter at the university's campus Tuesday, March 17.

The Denver Broncos could be in the market for a quarterback if they pull the trigger on trading starter Jay Cutler. With that in mind, they will be in West Lafayette, Indiana to workout former Purdue signal caller Curtis Painter. Painter threw for 67 touchdowns and over 11,000 yards in his career, with his standout season coming in 2007 as a junior when he passed for 3,848 yards and 29 touchdown passes.

The St. Louis Rams have already made the trip to Purdue to workout Painter last Wednesday, two days prior to the school's Pro Day. St. Louis is expected to be in the market for a quarterback come draft weekend. Incumbent signal caller Marc Bulger has struggled the past two seasons and has issues with durability. In 2007 and 2008 Bulger threw 22 touchdowns to 28 interceptions and failed to complete 60 percent of his passes in each season.

Any team needing a quarterback would be wise to make a stop at the "Cradle of Quarterbacks" before the last weekend in April.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/Property/2009-Big-Board/-81.-Curtis-Painter-QB.html

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Your move, Bus Cook.

You hold your client out, and we will move on without him.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
I loved Painter going into '08 and he really fell off. I think he could be a good pro if he ironed out his inconsistency issues. With some effort, he could be a good back up. More? Well I thought so in 2007, but now I'm not sure.

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
yea, he wouldnt be my first choice but coming into the year I liked him a lot more than after it was over....

he's definitely better than Harrell and Chase Daniel in my opinion...

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
never hire a clown to play coach eeegads. we hired ronald mcdonald for the love of god

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
never hire a clown to play coach eeegads. we hired ronald mcdonald for the love of god

wrong thread chief....

HEAV
03-16-2009, 02:53 PM
I loved Painter going into '08 and he really fell off. I think he could be a good pro if he ironed out his inconsistency issues. With some effort, he could be a good back up. More? Well I thought so in 2007, but now I'm not sure.

4th round pick worthy?

gyldenlove
03-16-2009, 02:54 PM
yea, he wouldnt be my first choice but coming into the year I liked him a lot more than after it was over....

he's definitely better than Harrell and Chase Daniel in my opinion...

He is probably better than my grandma and Cheney, but lets set the bar a little higher than that...

supermanhr9
03-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Hmmmm,, not so sure here. I liek the idea of bringing in Brady Quinn a whole hell of alot better. I don't wanna start over re-building a QB, we spent tiem doing that already.

On an un-related topic could someone please share why Jake PLummer was in Denver w/ Bowlen? I never got the answer when that happened.

gyldenlove
03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Hmmmm,, not so sure here. I liek the idea of bringing in Brady Quinn a whole hell of alot better. I don't wanna start over re-building a QB, we spent tiem doing that already.

On an un-related topic could someone please share why Jake PLummer was in Denver w/ Bowlen? I never got the answer when that happened.

Because Plummer is da shizz-nit when he has knocked back a handful of double bourbons....

supermanhr9
03-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Because Plummer is da shizz-nit when he has knocked back a handful of double bourbons....

Huh?

socalorado
03-16-2009, 02:59 PM

I think it had to do with the coach. I just heard there were lots of issues with the coach there. Wasnt he fired?

lex
03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
If McDaniels is going to run Cutler out of town, then this is the kind of guy Denver should be looking at drafting. The Cutler fiasco only pays off if we use the 1st round pick(s) on something else and McDaniels lives up to his own ego by turning something like this guy into a productive player.

supermanhr9
03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I believe so. Does the guy have a decent arm at least? I'm gonna miss Jay threading the needle!

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
this whole situation is now a damn circus bring in the clowns

WolfpackGuy
03-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Just great, a "system" guy.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 03:07 PM
4th round pick worthy?

That depends on what his issues were. He shouldn't be taken higher than that. I'd do a lot of homework on him and try and figure out why he just completely collapsed. Personally I wouldn't use more than a low fifth on him, and only then if I knew there were things you could work on.

Watching him throw the ball is really fun, though. He's pretty accurate and his release is as fast as any QB. He's got a good arm too. His short and mid range passes have a lot of zip. They say he lost both his receivers and had shoulder issues, but not all his issues this year were a result of those things.

I will say for a shotgun QB he is pretty light on his feet. I just would love to see the file on this guy and why he fell off so severely.

gyldenlove
03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Just great, a "system" guy.

Now we just need a system to go with him and failure will be complete.

Requiem
03-16-2009, 03:11 PM
We need to draft him. He can "paint" up the defenses, like he does girls' faces.

USMCBladerunner
03-16-2009, 03:12 PM
If McDaniels is going to run Cutler out of town, then this is the kind of guy Denver should be looking at drafting. The Cutler fiasco only pays off if we use the 1st round pick(s) on something else and McDaniels lives up to his own ego by turning something like this guy into a productive player.

Wow...I actually agree with you on something...I really doubt we are targeting a QB in the first...IF we are going to do anything it's parlay Cutler into picks for the D and groom some mid-late round QB into something serviceable.

HEAV
03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
That depends on what his issues were. He shouldn't be taken higher than that. I'd do a lot of homework on him and try and figure out why he just completely collapsed. Personally I wouldn't use more than a low fifth on him, and only then if I knew there were things you could work on.

Watching him throw the ball is really fun, though. He's pretty accurate and his release is as fast as any QB. He's got a good arm too. His short and mid range passes have a lot of zip. They say he lost both his receivers and had shoulder issues, but not all his issues this year were a result of those things.

I will say for a shotgun QB he is pretty light on his feet. I just would love to see the file on this guy and why he fell off so severely.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4ZvZmUFeIM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4ZvZmUFeIM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Check this out Brah!

Beantown Bronco
03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
:lombardi:

lex
03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Wow...I actually agree with you on something...I really doubt we are targeting a QB in the first...IF we are going to do anything it's parlay Cutler into picks for the D and groom some mid-late round QB into something serviceable.

People often agree with me more than they realize. But the times they dont are too memorable for them to admit it.

elsid13
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Painter is going to struggle learning the pro-style game especial when comes from taking the ball from under center and turning his back to the defense on the PA passes. He not much better then Colt Brennan for Hawaii taken in the 7th last season. That were I expect him to go.

HEAV
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2XfO_DEjAEA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2XfO_DEjAEA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

I'm starting to like this guy. Seems like he could be a plug and play QB in the system!

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Why waste a pick on any QB from this draft class?

We need Dline and LB's.

Simms is resurrected, they can pull some other vet off the scrap heap for a season or 2 until we can draft a franchise QB. Maybe MickyD will just go after guys that haven't started since HS since that worked so well once.

Maybe we move from getting RB's in the late rounds to QB's every year in the late rounds, polish them up then trade them to KFC?

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Painter is going to struggle learning the pro-style game especial when comes from taking the ball from under center and turning his back to the defense on the PA passes. He not much better then Colt Brennan for Hawaii taken in the 7th last season. That were I expect him to go.

But he looks good playing catch to guys in practice.

elsid13
03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Why waste a pick on any QB from this draft class?

We need Dline and LB's.

Simms is resurrected, they can pull some other vet off the scrap heap for a season or 2 until we can draft a franchise QB. Maybe MickyD will just go after guys that haven't started since HS since that worked so well once.

Maybe we move from getting RB's in the late rounds to QB's every year in the late rounds, polish them up then trade them to KFC?

It about time to pick another guy to groom and developed either for trade purpose down the road or for quality depth if the starter goes down. Problem is that most of the QBs aren't that good. I really like Stephen McGee from Texas AM. But then he reminds me of raw Cutler/Kevin O'Connell (NE). Both mobile, tough and have good zip on the ball.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I about time to pick another guy to groom and developed either for trade purpose down the road or for quality depth if the starter goes down. Problem is that most of the QBs aren't that good. I really like Stephen McGee from Texas AM. But then he reminds me of raw Cutler/Kevin O'Connell (NE). Both mobile, tough and have good zip on the ball.

If we lose Cutler it doesn't matter, Simms may be serviceable after not playing a meaningful game in 2-3 years but we will be starting from scratch.

Pontius Pirate
03-16-2009, 04:20 PM
If we lose Cutler it doesn't matter, Simms may be serviceable after not playing a meaningful game in 2-3 years but we will be starting from scratch.

Got a look at Simms mini-camp playbook. Here it is in it's entirety:

1) Hand-off left
2) Hand-off right
3) HB option pass
4) Throw it away

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-16-2009, 04:59 PM
we are soo screwed

c_lazy_r
03-16-2009, 05:15 PM
we are soo screwed

not with our o-line, I don't think we are.

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
He is probably better than my grandma and Cheney, but lets set the bar a little higher than that...

Ok, so my comparison to two other draft Qbs this year is related to your grandmother and Cheney comparison how???

phillybroncosnut
03-16-2009, 06:32 PM

If McDaniels runs Cutler out of town?? Are you kidding me? Why, because he was looking to improve HIS team? You want a puppet... Go cheer for Wade Phillips. Give me the guy that's gonna EXPLORE every option in improving my team.
There is not one guy, in any sport who is untradeable. Not 1. Cutler is running himself out of Denver because he is acting like a little girl who got her training bra snapped.
Get over it Jay. You my friend, are not the Denver Broncos. You are a link in the chain that we are trying to build, link by link, to get back to the glory days. The Denver Broncos were here way before you, and they will be around long after you're forgotten. Either throw your jock strap on and be the best Denver Bronco you can be, or take your sniveling vagina, and get the hell outta town.

Signed.... A DIEHARD BRONCO FAN!!

Back on topic, bring in any and every QB the Coach and GM think will fit into their system.