PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Williams: Bring Back Shanahan

Taco John
03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Paraphrasing as close as possible:

"I'll tell you what man, this is so bad... I can't believe this is happening in Denver... Mr. Bowlen is on the hook to pay Shanahan. I'd give him his job back. I'd say look man, I made a mistake, I do want to go to a 3-4 defense, but I want you to run this team.

"I have no faith in Josh McDaniels. The reason I don't like him is because I've seen this before. You know what the bad manager always does. He knows how things are supposed to be done, but he can't communicate with the guys who need to do the job.

"It's not my money that's being spent to pay him or Xanders... And I don't know who is responsible for the acquisitions. But I have an issue with a guy alienating the quarterback like this, when he has so much trade value - maybe you don't respect him, but the rest of the NFL -

"If you want Jay Cutler - pay him - guarantee him his money and move on..."

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 01:23 PM
the same guy who admitted to taking games off and not caring about being in Cincy so he could get traded. Yeah way to put any credence into his take on this. ::)

BroncoMatt
03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
well I guess that settles it then

Archer81
03-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Jesus...ezekiel...Jesus...

:Broncos:

Popps
"I'll tell you what man, this is so bad... I can't believe this is happening in Denver... Mr. Bowlen is on the hook to pay Shanahan. I'd give him his job back. I'd say look man, I made a mistake, I do want to go to a 3-4 defense, but I want you to run this team.
"

Please, Al. The 90s were great, but they're over, buddy.

"
"I have no faith in Josh McDaniels. The reason I don't like him is because I've seen this before. You know what the bad manager always does. He knows how things are supposed to be done, but he can't communicate with the guys who need to do the job.

Really? The rest of the team seems fine with him. In fact, the defacto team leader on defense made comments that sounded like veiled slams at Cutler, in my opinion. He certainly said no bad words about the coach, nor did anyone else.

Excitement has been the key word all players interviewed have used.

"

That's just it, Al. They DO want him, but they're not going to be held at gunpoint by a guy who hasn't won anything, has attitude issues and even potential health complications.

Cutler has no leverage other than to drive himself out of town, which is what he's doing. Nothing more, nothing less.

rugbythug
Paraphrasing as close as possible:

"It's not my money that's being spent to pay him or Xanders... And I don't know who is responsible for the acquisitions. But I have an issue with a guy alienating the quarterback like this, when he has so much trade value - maybe you don't respect him, but the rest of the NFL -

Why is it that cutler needs more money for McDaniels to be a trusted? If you hate him and think he sucks then say so, don't say I hate u but for 15 Million more we can be great friends.

USMCBladerunner
Another player apologist...he and Jamie Dukes are two peas in a pod.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Alfred frequently finds himself on the wrong side of every issue. He thinks Plummer should never have been fired. He thought Simeon Rice was "the answer". He thought there was nothing wrong with our defense last year and Cutler was the reason we didn't win down the stretch.

Yeah, thanks for sharing Alfred Williams.

TDmvp
the same guy who admitted to taking games off and not caring about being in Cincy so he could get traded. Yeah way to put any credence into his take on this. ::)

I'm not caring about being in Cincy either , so i know how he felt and can understand ...
Try it for a few weeks and you as well would wish someone would trade you or shoot you ...

supermanhr9
Boo hoo Alfred,, man I miss that radio show,,, too bad I can't get it in St. Louis. Those two guys cracked me up

Cool Breeze
03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Bring back Irv and Joe!

theAPAOps5
Alfred has never ever sided with the coaches. He never will, doesn't make him wrong. Just putting any stock into this situation is only worth it if you want it to help your argument.

DeusExManning
Alfred has made good points today. These decisions will effect our franchise for a decade. He spoke about his experience in Cincinnati with Wyche. How after he was fired they lost everything including Esiason.

Kaylore
Another player apologist...he and Jamie Dukes are two peas in a pod.

Exactly. Dukes bent over backwards for Pacman Jones and Michael Vick. Cry me a river.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Bring back Irv and Joe!

Dude I want to punch you in the face. :)

bronco militia
03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Alfred has made good points today. These decisions will effect our franchise for a decade. He spoke about his experience in Cincinnati with Wyche. How after he was fired they lost everything including Esiason.

hyperbole.....this is the 3rd time in a decade this franchise has ****ed with the QB position

the Franchise will not be set back anymore then it already has been since #7 retired.

hambone13
03-16-2009, 01:33 PM

I'll be standing right behind him w/ bat for his knees:strong:

Cool Breeze
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM

I thought it kind of went with
Alfred Williams: Bring Back Shanahan

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
I know thats why I smiled.

montrose
03-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Anyone's better than Irv and Joe. You can't fault Al for caring, but a few months ago he was saying the Broncos should draft a QB in the 1st round to make Cutler compete.

summerdenver
03-16-2009, 01:37 PM
It would be silly and impractical for Broncos to do anything other than support JMac now. If they choose Jay over the coach, the new coach will have no juice in the locker room even if its Mike. They should not have let this come this far but they can't give in now.

I would look for a straight up trade for (Jay + Scheff) for Cassel or Donovan or Hasselback or something like that - at the same time get a younger guy (if its not cassel) and groom him.

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I can't wait for camp to start.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Anyone's better than Irv and Joe. You can't fault Al for caring, but a few months ago he was saying the Broncos should draft a QB in the 1st round to make Cutler compete.

Thats right he was saying that. That you need to push him. Thats just retarded.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 01:40 PM
And Taco, Shanahan is gone and he's not coming back. Get over it.

worm
03-16-2009, 01:42 PM
So when some ex-players like Theisman side with McD, a thread is created talking about 'sage wisdom' and OM posters point to it as the 'truth and the light'.....when another ex-player sides with Cutler, some of the same people are claiming that the source is crap.

Is there a manual that I can read to let me know which are the correct ex-players comments to believe and which ones I should ignore?

Or should I just guess based upon which perspective they comment on?

Why can't some of you see that there is MORE than enough blame to spread around. Why discriminate?

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Thats the point I am trying to make Worm. When you cherry pick extremes you are only trying to reinforce your argument. Its good to generate discussion, which I am assuming Taco meant for this, but it doesn't validate either side of the argument.

Taco John
03-16-2009, 01:46 PM
And Taco, Shanahan is gone and he's not coming back. Get over it.

I am over it. I just thought it was a kind of funny perspective coming from a former player.

Taco John
03-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Thats the point I am trying to make Worm. When you cherry pick extremes you are only trying to reinforce your argument. Its good to generate discussion, which I am assuming Taco meant for this, but it doesn't validate either side of the argument.

Pretty much. I didn't expect it would validate any side of any argument. I just thought it was in interesting take. We haven't seen that position here on the forum that I can recall seeing, so I thought I'd post it.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Actually I use Alfred Williams as a barometer for what the wrong choice is. Usually if Alfred Williams has a take, the opposite is true. The only thing he's got right is telling you who's playing well on game day.

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Bring Shanny back? Don't make me laugh.

Crushaholic
03-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Alfred has made good points today. These decisions will affect our franchise for a decade. He spoke about his experience in Cincinnati with Wyche. How after he was fired they lost everything including Esiason.

Hardly. Cutler isn't the only person in the world who can successfully handle the quarterback position. And I even use the word "successfully" loosely. Yes, the 8-8 record doesn't fall on his shoulders. However, he's made plenty of throws that were head scratchers...

chaz
03-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Why is it that cutler needs more money for McDaniels to be a trusted? If you hate him and think he sucks then say so, don't say I hate u but for 15 Million more we can be great friends.

it isn't MORE money...its GUARANTEED money...big difference. If the Broncos are truly committed to Cutler, he'll get the money either way...so why not guarantee it and get this straightened out?

Garcia Bronco
03-16-2009, 02:19 PM

15 million is one heck of a committment.

SureShot
03-16-2009, 02:20 PM
15 million is one heck of a committment.

I new contract is basically a no trade clause.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I new contract is basically a no trade clause.

No because player contracts aren't guaranteed. If you have to extend Cutler you have to place a no trade clause to make him feel better. I hope to God they don't but if thats the route they feel is best you have to place a no trade clause in there.

Houshyamama
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
"I have no faith in Josh McDaniels. The reason I don't like him is because I've seen this before. You know what the bad manager always does. He knows how things are supposed to be done, but he can't communicate with the guys who need to do the job.[/I]

Really? The rest of the team seems fine with him. In fact, the defacto team leader on defense made comments that sounded like veiled slams at Cutler, in my opinion. He certainly said no bad words about the coach, nor did anyone else.

Excitement has been the key word all players interviewed have used.

I haven't seen much real opinion from the most of the players one way or the other.

What are they going to say to the media? "Jeez guys, my new boss is an @ss. I want Shanahan back."

Not saying one way or the other, but we have no real gauge of how most of the players are truly reacting to this.

Bob's your Information Minister
03-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Pipe dream. We're too deep into the offseason, too many changes have been made. Bringing back Shanahan at this point might actually make this coming season worse, although it might salvage things in the long term.

rastaman
03-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Pipe dream. We're too deep into the offseason, too many changes have been made. Bringing back Shanahan at this point might actually make this coming season worse, although it might salvage things in the long term.

Shanahan has 3 years left on his contract. However, would it not be poetic justice to have McDaniel looking over his shoulder over the next two years with the possibility he could be replaced by SHANAHAN!!!!!:sunshine:

Nothing like making the new HC coach feel insecure and his job on the line every year. Afterall, this was the tactic McDaniel has used with Cutler. If its good enough for Cutler.....it most be good enough for McDaniel's.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
If this team starts out 2-5 he won't be the only one.

I think it is time to move on but MickyD has to win or face this crap until he does.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 02:52 PM

I think it is time to move on but MickyD has to win or face this crap until he does.

He has a built in buffer with the schedule but I see your point.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
He has a built in buffer with the schedule but I see your point.

People on this board are thinking change = better than Shanny's .500 record over last 3 years.

A 1st time HC winning more than 8 games in his 1st year with this **** storm would really impress me.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Shanny wasn't going .500 next year. That was clear the minute he stood by Slowik.

bronco_diesel
03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Anyone's better than Irv and Joe.

I beg to differ...I present Jim Armstrong

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Actually I use Alfred Williams as a barometer for what the wrong choice is. Usually if Alfred Williams has a take, the opposite is true. The only thing he's got right is telling you who's playing well on game day.

Four days ago when he supported your POV on Cutler, you had no problem referencing him... just sayin...

Brian Dawkins gets it. Dave Logan gets it. Trent Green gets it. Mark Schlereth gets it. Alfred Williams gets it. Even Carmelo Anthony, hardly the gold standard in maturity, gets it. Jay just needs to come in and work.

Bronx33
03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Alfred williams: If you had a F-16 and a pilot which would jay cutler be?

SureShot
03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Four days ago when he supported your POV on Cutler, you had no problem referencing him... just sayin...

Whoops. The search function strikes again!

Bob's your Information Minister
03-16-2009, 03:19 PM

2-5?

Setting the bar a little high there, aren't you?

Broncomutt
03-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm all for bringing Shanny back.

Somebody should send him an email inquiring if he'd be--

ooops, nevermind......:dummy:

Taco John
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm all for bringing Shanny back.

Somebody should send him an email inquiring if he'd be--

ooops, nevermind......:dummy:

Baja has been at the market every day this last week with his Horse head on hoping to catch head or tail of the coach.

Popps
03-16-2009, 04:34 PM
What are they going to say to the media? "Jeez guys, my new boss is an @ss. I want Shanahan back."

Every single one of them used the word "excitement" and referred to the new situation as something they want to be a part of.

I think if ANYONE in the locker-room truly had feelings about this that Jay had been "wronged" to some big degree, we'd be hearing it in some way, shape or form.

We haven't even had any of the classic "unnamed source" quotes yet, that I've seen.

Maybe these guys were happy to move into the future and don't want Jay ****ting in their living room.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Alfred williams: If you had a F-16 and a pilot which would jay cutler be?

Jay Cutler, cuz he steerz tha ship (rimshot!)