PDA

View Full Version : My Take on everything thus far.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
TheReverand and some others have asked me privately what I think of everything. I recently sent him a PM, and he requested I post my response here, so here it is. Bear in mind this was before the Reggie Rivers report on the locker room situation.

I think we agree on the defensive coaching staff.

The offensive coaches are the best he could get, and this is largely a result of him running a system no one really uses. This means fewer coaches from this school of thought and therefore less talent. I'm not sold on the QB coach if Delhomme's play is any kind of a reflection of that. However I am sold on McDaniels in that department, so I'll accept it. I like that he kept Turner and Dennison, who have been the most talented offensive coaches since Kubiak left, so overall I think it looks good given what was available.

The free agent signings are, in terms of athleticism and talent, a lateral move with a few exceptions. I've said before it's not that much of an upgrade except for positions where we were so terrible that anything would be an upgrade (like safety). Basically I think we have a team that is roughly the same equivalent talent wise as the one before except that they can play a 3-4. The kicker is they are mostly all high character, high football IQ guys who are much bigger than our tiny team. I think with Nolan's coaching staff and a more consistent running game, we'll see a better defense in 2009. Really firing Slowik made everything better, but you know how I feel about that.

The firing of the Goodman's, the Leach/Paxton signing and Phifer on special teams are the moves thus far I disagree with. The Paxton thing just seemed completely unnecessary. He's the second highest paid long snapper in the league and it's not an area of need. Leach can at least play tight end fairly effectively and covers special teams. Paxton is solely a LS. It's stupid. I get he was the ST team captain but it just seemed like a "I don't know you, but I know this guy so you're outta here!"

Phifer fielded a very lousy special teams. Maybe McDaniels' overall philosophy will help the situation, because we know Shanahan's ST has been below average forever, but I don't expect the ST unit to be that great next year.

The Goodman's is actually the bad move i blame the FO the least on. My "sources" ( Just some guys connected to the team and in the press) here in town told me that the scouting department hated Jeff and he was something of a maverick. He also was threatening to be insubordinate to Xanders if he was promoted ahead of himself. Kind of a cool thing is Jim Goodman never wanted to be GM and liked his responsibilities just fine. Xanders and McDaniels hit it off and Xanders was promoted on McDaniels' recommendation. Jeff was fired because he was inept and probably wouldn't have worked for Xanders. Jim was let go because Bowlen knew Jim would leave anyway and it was a way to pay them the rest of their contracts.

I think that was mostly an instance of why nepotism can create serious problems. I don't have a great deal of confidence in Xanders, but his moves so far seem at least decent for what was available. I like the philosophy shift in find role players and making them do their role. The draft will give me a better feel.

Speaking of nepotism, McDaniels' brother being on the staff is not a problem for me. He's a gopher boy that wants to get into coaching. This happens all the time and he is literally the bottom wrung on the ladder. People bring this up just because it's one more way they can rip on him.

Overall I give him a B-. I think the two rookies botched the Cutler deal, but I also think they were being set up from the get-go and nothing would have made it ok. I think the defensive staff and retaining Dennison and Turner earn him props for being open minded. I dinged him for McCoy and Phifer.

The biggest thing is how everyone that talks to this guy, with the exception of Cutler, drinks the kool-aid. I think he has charisma and intelligence. Will that be enough? He's obviously made mistakes and will continue to make them as he learns. I think the Broncos are doing this the right way by letting him do it all his way, so we are giving him a fair shake. Like I said, there are things I don't agree with, but most of it I like where he's going. We'll see after the season ends where things are at.

Hopefully this will raise the level of discourse on the Mane.

Oh who am I kidding? :rofl:

Chris
03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Good thoughts Kaylore. I haven't heard much of how the players are responding to Mcdaniels outside of the Cutler fiasco... so it's good to know that the kool aid is being drunk...even if it's being sipped slowly.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
"TheReverand"
That's redicules!

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 09:47 AM
PS. I requested that he post this on the main board because I thought it was a very well thought out POV.

I still think he's bat **** crazy for thinking this way.

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 09:48 AM
My favorite thing about what is coming together is (if Dumervil is any indication) the guys on the D are excited about Nolan coming in and the formation of a new defensive philosophy. I really couldn't take another year of ****ty defense. I'd end up like SoCal. ;D

Bob's your Information Minister
03-16-2009, 09:56 AM
My take:

Donks are ****ed.

Archer81
03-16-2009, 10:00 AM
My take:

Donks are ****ed.

Shut the **** up fat man this is none of your goddamned business...

http://tinyurl.com/8h56yr

:Broncos:

smalltowngrll
03-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for posting this Kaylore!

I've purposely chosen to stay out of all the crazy opinion threads out there because I wanted to keep a clear thought on this and not get caught up in the crap mud slinging.

Thanks for the clear and objective thoughts!! :thumbsup:

Bob's your Information Minister
03-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Shut the **** up fat man this is none of your goddamned business...

http://tinyurl.com/8h56yr

If that's how McDaniels greeted Cutler you can see why they're having problems...

worm
03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Speaking of nepotism, McDaniels' brother being on the staff is not a problem for me. He's a gopher boy that wants to get into coaching. This happens all the time and he is literally the bottom wrung on the ladder. People bring this up just because it's one more way they can rip on him.

You think it happens all the time that a young rookie coach brings in his even younger brother from a HS coaching gig? I don't care of it is a coordinator position or the waterboy. It doesn't happen like this 'all the time'.

That said, I don't think it is THAT big of a deal...but Josh should be trying to do it cleaner and better than anybody right now. He should THINK about the ramifications of his actions. Everything he does will be scrutinized.

The accountability that he is preaching INCLUDES himself. Why even give the appearance that he is looking for 'yes' men?

Cassel over Cutler
Lonnie over Leech
Xanders over Goodman
His brother over some other smart intern

As they say down here. McD is 'messy'.

Rock Chalk
03-16-2009, 10:09 AM
I give McD an A-.

Doing SOMETHING about the defense earns him huge props. The Goodmans? Not his fault apparently, besides they were overrated. Dawkins was a great signing. Even if its only for a 2 year period or so, its one less area we need to focus on in the draft and its a HUGE upgrade over the **** we put on the field last year. From talent to leadership, we just got better.

My only issue thus far has been Leach, but who knows, that may not be a bad move either.

Archer81
03-16-2009, 10:12 AM
You think it happens all the time that a young rookie coach brings in his even younger brother from a HS coaching gig? I don't care of it is a coordinator position or the waterboy. It doesn't happen like this 'all the time'.

That said, I don't think it is THAT big of a deal...but Josh should be trying to do it cleaner and better than anybody right now. He should THINK about the ramifications of his actions. Everything he does will be scrutinized.

The accountability that he is preaching INCLUDES himself. Why even give the appearance that he is looking for 'yes' men?

Cassel over Cutler
Lonnie over Leech
Xanders over Goodman
His brother over some other smart intern

As they say down here. McD is 'messy'.

Actually it does happen more often than you think. Its more publicized in college football but it does happen in the pros. And I hardly think allowing your brother to be a go-fer is screaming deep seeded nepotism, and how do you know how smart his brother is/isnt. Sometimes family is the BEST person for the job.

The MVPlaya
03-16-2009, 10:22 AM
You have to take into consideration that Cutler and McDaniels never had a real one on one talk. Agents were always there.

That take away the true essence of the meeting/talk. There are some things McDaniels can/cannot say in front of an agent, same as Cutler. Agent is only there to see the $ out of the situation.

I think they need some alone time.

worm
03-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Actually it does happen more often than you think. Its more publicized in college football but it does happen in the pros. And I hardly think allowing your brother to be a go-fer is screaming deep seeded nepotism, and how do you know how smart his brother is/isnt. Sometimes family is the BEST person for the job.

His brother is the best person to be a go-fer? Did you mean to put a smiley in there?

However, I do agree that this is not 'screaming deep seated nepotism'. Also not a huge issue...just one more brick on the wall.

I just want to see Josh do it smarter, better and cleaner than his more seasoned peers. He needs to gain the respect (and yes, Kaylore...even trust) of the locker room as quickly as possible.

He is fighting his age and his coaching tenure already. Why make it even harder when you do things that can be PERCEIVED as less than honorable?

illbroncsfn
03-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Kaylore-

Correct me as I may be off here, but I believe your problem is w/Priefer (former KC ST coach) and Phifer - as in Roman- assistant LB coach.

And you are pleased we retained Dennison- not Bates- correct?

I appreciate your resources and insights.....

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Kaylore-

Correct me as I may be off here, but I believe your problem is w/Priefer (former KC ST coach) and Phifer - as in Roman- assistant LB coach.

Yes you have it right and my apologies for mixing their names up. Bates staying may have been nice, but I knew it wouldn't work with him having to take a diminished role. I honestly got sick of some of the play calling (bubble screens!) so I think he was good, but not as awesome as people want him to be. He chose to go to USC and I wish him the best except I hope his team gets the clap.

gyldenlove
03-16-2009, 10:49 AM
As far as the free agent signings we have made, I think we have done well enough. We have gotten guys with good character and intelligence and added some leadership. Over all I think we should have gotten at least one difference maker for the defense, but I am happy that we didn't go overboard and overpaid badly for any player.

I think getting in Paxton was a bit of a silly move, a long snapper doesn't win super bowls, he is just there. I was worried it would happen that we would pick up players Mcdaniels was familiar with for no reason, and I think it creates a feeling in the locker room that Paxton is protected because he knows Mcdaniels, I think Gaffney will be the same way. I think it will create animosity that some people seem to be favoured because they have the background.

I understand the Goodman move, I don't agree with it, but I understand it. What I don't understand is why we didn't try to bring in a senior guy who could bring the experience in how to handle some things. I think we got bitten really bad because Mcdaniels and Xanders have no experience in running a team and they made some rookie mistakes because of it. If we had a vice-GM or director of pro personnel or something who could have been with them and helped out with the foot work I think we could have avoided quite a bit of pain.

The one thing that I am not sure about is how the locker room will react to what has happened so far. Leach getting replaced and the Cutler debacle, I think there is a very real danger that some players will look at those things and say that if Mcdaniels will go after those players and try to replace them with guys he knows who may not even be better, then how can he really be trusted? I am worried that too many players will be apprehensive when dealing with Mcdaniels and I think that there will be a lot of players who will be happy to be "unnamed" sources whenever there is a rift in the room.

I am pretty happy with the coaching staff, it seems to be a reasonably good crowd with a mixed background. The two things I worry about the most is Nolans ambitions and the special teams. I am worried that Nolan will use this job as a stepping stone to more HC interviews, if he manages to turn our defense into an average or above average unit he could use that to get some interviews. I don't think there will be much improvement on special teams, I am worried it will be more of the same.

HEAV
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/892/crybabyj.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crybabyj.jpg)

Merlin
03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Kaylore,

Bates was constructively dismissed, which is just a step better than wrongful dismissal. Although I'm not sure how it applies in sports, in the normal work environment constructively dismissal is tantamount to dismissal without reason which gives workers legal avenues for remedies.

I'm guessing you like MacD as an offencive coordinator (I actually prefer his style to Bates', because I felt the latter was given Cutler far too much freedom), if that is the case, then he was never intending to keep Bates in his capacity as OC. My point is, I'm not sure what you mean that you liked that he kept Bates. From a practical point of view he dismissed Bates by forcing him out.

BroncoInferno
03-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Good thoughts, Khan. On McCoy, I wasn't thrilled with him either, but it is understandable from this perspective: McD said from day one that he's calling the plays. So, the OC is essentially going to be "in-name-only." That makes it extremely unlikely that a proven commodity was going to be willing to except such a role. Delhomme's crappy play certainly makes you question McCoy, but sometimes these things are beyond a coaches control. Plus, McCoy is in his early 30s and could be viewed as a guy you can groom into a top notch play-caller down the road. Anyway, just some thoughts on that. I agree on Pfieffer, didn't get that hire at all, though again sometimes circumstances can be beyond a coaches control. Jim Bates and Scott O'Brien were both considered top notch coaches who produced terrible results while in Denver probably due more to circumstance than that they were bad coaches. So, that could be the case with Pfieffer. We'll see.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Fact is we were Rebuilding no matter if Cutler was going to stay or leave.

It just makes the Rebuilding process even more painful without a Probowl QB at the helm.

We are starting from scratch people. It will get ugly before it gets pretty.

Drek
03-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Great post Kay and I agree pretty close to 100%.

I understand the Paxton signing because like you said, he was an STs captain in NE. McDaniels knows he bring the kind of attitude and mentality he wants to promote on the team. Even if its 95% likely that Leach could have as well, Leach would still be feeling out the situation with the rest of the old guard initially. McDaniels needs guys who set the tone he wants from day one.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 11:27 AM
By all means, add "spineless" to my list of McDaniels gripes.

Holding a presser, delaying it 30 minutes, and then sending Kenny Peterson to address the media. Wow. Just wow.

socalorado
03-16-2009, 11:31 AM
By all means, add "spineless" to my list of McDaniels gripes.

Holding a presser, delaying it 30 minutes, and then sending Kenny Peterson to address the media. Wow. Just wow.

On that note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, you POS, D-BAG!!!!
:twokisses

Pontius Pirate
03-16-2009, 11:35 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/imagestore/2009/3/16/e7584f47-7be3-480f-b660-e1064d870260.jpg

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
On that note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, you POS, D-BAG!!!!
:twokisses

Haha, thanks!

I actually forgot until Apa reminded me this morning.

montrose
03-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Rev, can we get a similar thread from you seeing you have a vastly differing POV on the new regime?

Hulamau
03-16-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm with ya Khan! Good overall view. McD has had a huge task on his hands made all the tougher with this fiasco which, though he may have handled a bit better in tact and diplomacy at times certainly doenst warrant in any way shape or form jays insubordinate Whiner fit.

But I have a feeling in the end this is going to elevate McD's cred as he takes a a few lumps and still fields and competitive team. With or more likely now without Baby Jay.

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
TheReverand . . . . . . :

Holy lord, Kaylore, you and Rev and some others figured we were all waiting with bated breath for you to sum it all up for us? Baaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaahahahaa aaaa!

Whoo boy, your self-importance is always a belly laugh. And Rev is pretty much a joke.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Good thoughts, Khan. On McCoy, I wasn't thrilled with him either, but it is understandable from this perspective: McD said from day one that he's calling the plays. So, the OC is essentially going to be "in-name-only." That makes it extremely unlikely that a proven commodity was going to be willing to except such a role. Delhomme's crappy play certainly makes you question McCoy, but sometimes these things are beyond a coaches control. Plus, McCoy is in his early 30s and could be viewed as a guy you can groom into a top notch play-caller down the road. Anyway, just some thoughts on that. I agree on Pfieffer, didn't get that hire at all, though again sometimes circumstances can be beyond a coaches control. Jim Bates and Scott O'Brien were both considered top notch coaches who produced terrible results while in Denver probably due more to circumstance than that they were bad coaches. So, that could be the case with Pfieffer. We'll see.
I'm sorry. I meant to put Dennison in there. I'm not on my A-game today. I have fixed it, though.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Holy lord, Kaylore, you and Rev and some others figured we were all waiting with bated breath for you to sum it all up for us? Baaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaahahahaa aaaa!

Whoo boy, your self-importance is always a belly laugh. And Rev is pretty much a joke.

We can't all be as good as you Ha!

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Rev, can we get a similar thread from you seeing you have a vastly differing POV on the new regime?

No need for a separate thread.

Here's the message that prompted that response from Khan:

I think we can both achieve common ground of approving of his defensive staff.

What about the offensive coaches? Is there even one you like outside of McDaniels himself?

And firing the Goodmans? And the timing. And the replacement... a guy employed at ESPN the past few years.

And the FA signings? Who outside of Fields and Davis, I think are fairly horrid for the availability of actual players available.

And Bowlen's quotes of "The Goodmans will be functioning as GM" and "The offense will remain in tact" etc.

----------------

Since then we've also discovered that McDaniels HAS flat out lied about the Cutler trading. That situation has been poorly managed from day one. Knowing the consequences for your actions is always involved in positions of responsibility and authority.

You can say "Cutler's a baby" all you want, but the fact remains, McDaniels brought this situation on himself. Two weeks ago, Cutler was offering to restructure to help keep the 06 draft class together and was studying in his freetime with McDaniels. Now that good faith is removed and Cutler is now doing what's best for Cutler and not the franchise.

Cause and effect. That's the effect, McDaniels actions were the cause.

Give and take in personnel management. Anquan Boldin was lied to, but the opportunity to pay him what was deserved wasn't available. He wasn't happy. Especially after everything he did for his team. The situation was re-examined, apologies were made, and he's on board.

Kurt Warner wasn't going anywhere. Everyone knew that. His trip to SF was to try and force a hand. He had no interest in signing with another team and learning a new system at this phase of his career. Regardless, another 2.5 million per year was added to the offer.

Situations like that happen all the time. The hardline is rarely the best policy. McDaniels is getting his front office cliffs notes handed to him the hard way.

kupesdad
03-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry. I meant to put Dennison in there. I'm not on my A-game today. I have fixed it, though.

That's cuz you're too busy being self-important:strong:

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 03:22 PM

I know, I know. When will I ever learn? :pity:

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
We can't all be as good as you Ha!

You're always a step behind me, so yeah, that's true. You're pretty consistent, but laughable since you're always striving to be the cutest poster ever. Kaylore pretty much just goes as the wind blows. He'll be solidly behind a player or coach one day, stridently, then six months later totally jizzing on them, depending on how the wind blows. Weasel.

I'll see how it goes with you guys from now on. Oh, and you suck, BTW. Ha!

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Kaylore-

The problem is Kaylore bites off more than he can chew. Dude is a bag of wind, basically. A prolific bag of wind, but nevertheless, a bag of wind.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
You're always a step behind me, so yeah, that's true. You're pretty consistent, but laughable since you're always striving to be the cutest poster ever. Kaylore pretty much just goes as the wind blows. He'll be solidly behind a player or coach one day, stridently, then six months later totally jizzing on them, depending on how the wind blows. Weasel.

I'll see how it goes with you guys from now on. Oh, and you suck, BTW. Ha!

You're always good for a laugh, Cito.

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 04:03 PM

You should be old enough to distinguish between who your real friends are and who's yanking you, who's playing you.

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
I know, I know. When will I ever learn? :pity:

You're still young, you'll learn from the school of hard knocks. I'll be sure to give you some of the knocks. You have a lot to learn.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
The problem is Kaylore bites off more than he can chew. Dude is a bag of wind, basically. A prolific bag of wind, but nevertheless, a bag of wind.

At least he tries, some people are too afraid that someone would make fun of them if they tried.

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
You're always good for a laugh, Cito.

Back atcha. BTW, your sophistry is some of the best I've ever seen on this board.

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
At least he tries, some people are too afraid that someone would make fun of them if they tried.

Dude's not afraid of trying. He got cute with me too many times, so I'm paying him back.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 04:19 PM
...and Cito successfully hi-jacks yet another thread.

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
http://splodeman.com/Thread%20Hijacked.JPG

kupesdad
03-16-2009, 04:41 PM
You should be old enough to distinguish between who your real friends are and who's yanking you, who's playing you.

Idiocy has no age limit YOU should be old enough to distinguish that. I happen to have met Chris at training camp and he has been nothing but kind to me AND my family. So you are right, I guess I am old enough to distinguish my real friends. But thanks for the advice oh wise one.