PDA

View Full Version : Peter King's MMQ: New quotes from McDaniels at 1am EDT Monday

montrose
03-16-2009, 04:52 AM
I'm going to lead with the Cutler story, following two chats I had with Denver coach Josh McDaniels late Sunday night. I got the sense he can't believe it's come to this duel at the OK Corral.

"I would probably be really good for Jay, and I know he would be really good for me,'' McDaniels told me over the phone from Denver. "I think that's the part that's shocking to me.''

That it probably will never happen, he means.

It makes no sense. None. When the Broncos report for the start of their offseason program this morning at their plush complex south of town, Cutler will be a no-show. I reported recently that Cutler wanted to be traded after the Broncos lost both Mike Shanahan (fired) and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates (went to USC as offensive coordinator), and that message was delivered to the Denver front office. Now I expect Cutler, through agent Bus Cook, to reiterate his demand ... and what's more, I expect the Broncos to seriously consider it. Owner Pat Bowlen said Sunday night, "we might lose'' Cutler, though he was not specific about how, or why, or when, and Cutler told Chris Mortensen of ESPN he has asked Cook to formally request a trade.

Denver has to tread carefully here. McDaniels told me he is frustrated by Cutler's interpretation of a conference call and then an in-person meeting this weekend, and he still wants to talk with Cutler again face-to-face to see if they can iron out their differences. If McDaniels walks into his first meeting with his players this morning, and they think he's trying to kick Cutler to the curb, they're going to ask, "Why did Bowlen hire this idiot?''

But in the end, Denver will have to strongly consider trading Cutler. If you're a rookie coach, as McDaniels is, and you've got to set the right tone for the team, how can you have a quarterback who doesn't want to be there as your franchise leader? Parting with Cutler would be forcing the Broncos to start over at the game's most important position when they thought they had the position filled for the next decade. But Cutler, who is one of the best quarterback prospects to enter the NFL in years, can be moody, and if he never buys what McDaniels is selling, it could drag the team down.

How we got to this point, in chronological order:

McDaniels said he was not considering trading Cutler until he was contacted "by two teams'' at the Scouting Combine -- presumably Detroit and Tampa. They were pie-in-the-sky inquiries, though, and he didn't consider anything seriously, he said, until the day before the Feb. 27 beginning of free-agency, when he got a serious proposal for Cutler.

"This was a non-issue until Thursday [Feb. 26],'' McDaniels said. "There was obviously a scenario where teams figured we'd be interested in Matt Cassel, because I'd coached him in New England. When someone calls, I'm going to consider it, because that's my job.''

Cutler believes the Broncos were much more interested in trading him and signing Cassel than they've said. I asked McDaniels if he'd been interested in Cassel before the contact by the two teams at the combine, going back to when he knew Cassel might be on the market and available in trade from the Patriots. "No, that's totally untrue,'' he said.

McDaniels did pursue a deal with New England on the first day of free agency, but not intensely, he said, because he and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders were in the middle of doing six free-agent negotiations in the opening two days of free-agency. "I think we were too late to the dance,'' he said, meaning the Chiefs had already made the deal with New England -- a second-round pick for Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel. Denver would have given more, likely a first-round pick, but Patriots coach Bill Belichick had his deal done with the Chiefs.

"Do I understand about Jay being hurt that we'd consider this?'' McDaniels said. "Sure. But I can tell you that it wasn't like there was any grand plan by us to trade Jay Cutler. That wasn't the case. But when we've told them [Cutler and Cook], I think it's fallen on deaf ears.''

I texted Cutler and got no response. In his comments to Mortensen earlier, he said his time in Denver "had run its course,'' the rift between him and McDaniels is "not something they want to fix,'' that McDaniels -- in their meeting Saturday -- "made it clear he could still entertain trading me,'' and said the coach "made it clear he wants his own guy.''

I texted McDaniels, and shortly before 1 a.m. Eastern on Monday, he called to react to Cutler's words.

"Oh boy,'' he said, and sighed. "No, no, no. Nothing like that was conveyed.'' And he sighed again.

"I think the hangup is, 'Well, you considered doing it once, would you ever consider it again?' It keeps coming out like I want my own guy. Thinking we want to trade him now is totally opposite what we've been trying to do here ... We've been trying like hell for two weeks to get a face-to-face meeting.''

What frustrates McDaniels is that the two sides met -- he thinks without acrimony -- and then word gets out that there was tension or vindictiveness in the meeting. "It's hard to believe we're sharing the same intentions and can have such different interpretations of the meeting,'' he said. "When we met [Saturday], my point was, 'We all know where this was, and now we all have to try to move forward.' After we met for a while, and went over a lot of the same ground we'd been over, Jay said to me, 'Can I have a few more hours to think?' I said, 'Yeah, give me a call on my cell phone.' He never called. Bus [Cook] called Brian [Xanders], but Jay didn't call me.''

I asked McDaniels if he feels he'll be forced to trade Cutler.

"No,'' he said. "He's got three years left on his contract. We're not at the point where we're going to do it now ... [But] it's probably something we're going to have to talk about. We've been trying to communicate, and I still want to try, but if that's the direction we're headed, we're going to have to talk.''

There's such a gulf in the two versions of events. But it looks like, taking the long view, Cutler will be playing elsewhere unless he and McDaniels sit in a room together for two hours and come out married. That's not likely to happen. Maybe Cutler can't take the dissing he feels from McDaniels, or maybe he's fabricating the dissing to justify in his own mind going somewhere else. I don't know. But I do know this: If I had the choice of Denver, Tampa Bay, Detroit and the Jets, and the Denver coach has worked successfully with Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, I'd be thinking very hard about not burning a bridge that can't be reconstructed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/15/union/index.html

Dendave
03-16-2009, 05:07 AM
He's got three years left on his contract. We're not at the point where we're going to do it now ... [/url]

Let the baby ride the bench for 3 years and see what kind of contract he can get.

The Joker
03-16-2009, 05:08 AM
Let the baby ride the bench for 3 years and see what kind of contract he can get.

Better yet, trade him to Detroit.

Broncosfreak_56
03-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Sounds like McDaniels is just as frusterated as us about this situation.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 05:18 AM
I like how everytime McDaniels gets quoted, he admits he lied about something new.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/pat%20bowlen.jpg

Is it bright where you are
And Have the people changed
Does it make you happy you're so strange
And in your darkest hour
I hold secrets flame
We can watch the world devoured in its pain

El Guapo
03-16-2009, 05:31 AM
ugh. I'll be pissed if we lose cutler. He may be a whiny little B, but he's an awesome QB.

LonghornBronco
03-16-2009, 05:40 AM
After we met for a while, and went over a lot of the same ground we'd been over, Jay said to me, 'Can I have a few more hours to think?' I said, 'Yeah, give me a call on my cell phone.' He never called. Bus [Cook] called Brian [Xanders], but Jay didn't call me.''

Bus Cook is the devil!

El Guapo
03-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Perhaps, yes. This might all just be a ploy for a bigger contract. how pathetic.

Atwater His Ass
03-16-2009, 05:51 AM

Right, because that wouldn't make for any sort of distraction during THE ENTIRE ****ING YEAR NOW WOULD IT?

Not to mention driving Cutler's trade value to nil.

ffs some people are ****ing retarded. There are 3 solutions at this point: 1) Mc****face gets fired 2) Cutler gets traded 3) they somehow work this out

If Cutler is on this team this season it's because he's the starting QB. Period.

ol number 7
03-16-2009, 05:53 AM
After we met for a while, and went over a lot of the same ground we'd been over, Jay said to me, 'Can I have a few more hours to think?' I said, 'Yeah, give me a call on my cell phone.' He never called. Bus [Cook] called Brian [Xanders], but Jay didn't call me.''

Bus Cook is the devil!

Bus Cook is Kaiser Sosay

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 05:57 AM
It's the Bus Cook Show! Enjoy!

dsmoot
03-16-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm going to lead with the Cutler story, following two chats I had with Denver coach Josh McDaniels late Sunday night. I got the sense he can't believe it's come to this duel at the OK Corral.

"I would probably be really good for Jay, and I know he would be really good for me,'' McDaniels told me over the phone from Denver. "I think that's the part that's shocking to me.''

It makes no sense. None. When the Broncos report for the start of their offseason program this morning at their plush complex south of town, Cutler will be a no-show. I reported recently that Cutler wanted to be traded after the Broncos lost both Mike Shanahan (fired) and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates (went to USC as offensive coordinator), and that message was delivered to the Denver front office. Now I expect Cutler, through agent Bus Cook, to reiterate his demand ... and what's more, I expect the Broncos to seriously consider it. Owner Pat Bowlen said Sunday night, "we might lose'' Cutler, though he was not specific about how, or why, or when, and Cutler told Chris Mortensen of ESPN he has asked Cook to formally request a trade.

Denver has to tread carefully here. McDaniels told me he is frustrated by Cutler's interpretation of a conference call and then an in-person meeting this weekend, and he still wants to talk with Cutler again face-to-face to see if they can iron out their differences. If McDaniels walks into his first meeting with his players this morning, and they think he's trying to kick Cutler to the curb, they're going to ask, "Why did Bowlen hire this idiot?''

But in the end, Denver will have to strongly consider trading Cutler. If you're a rookie coach, as McDaniels is, and you've got to set the right tone for the team, how can you have a quarterback who doesn't want to be there as your franchise leader? Parting with Cutler would be forcing the Broncos to start over at the game's most important position when they thought they had the position filled for the next decade. But Cutler, who is one of the best quarterback prospects to enter the NFL in years, can be moody, and if he never buys what McDaniels is selling, it could drag the team down.

McDaniels said he was not considering trading Cutler until he was contacted "by two teams'' at the Scouting Combine -- presumably Detroit and Tampa. They were pie-in-the-sky inquiries, though, and he didn't consider anything seriously, he said, until the day before the Feb. 27 beginning of free-agency, when he got a serious proposal for Cutler.

"This was a non-issue until Thursday [Feb. 26],'' McDaniels said. "There was obviously a scenario where teams figured we'd be interested in Matt Cassel, because I'd coached him in New England. When someone calls, I'm going to consider it, because that's my job.''

Cutler believes the Broncos were much more interested in trading him and signing Cassel than they've said. I asked McDaniels if he'd been interested in Cassel before the contact by the two teams at the combine, going back to when he knew Cassel might be on the market and available in trade from the Patriots. "No, that's totally untrue,'' he said.

McDaniels did pursue a deal with New England on the first day of free agency, but not intensely, he said, because he and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders were in the middle of doing six free-agent negotiations in the opening two days of free-agency. "I think we were too late to the dance,'' he said, meaning the Chiefs had already made the deal with New England -- a second-round pick for Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel. Denver would have given more, likely a first-round pick, but Patriots coach Bill Belichick had his deal done with the Chiefs.

"Do I understand about Jay being hurt that we'd consider this?'' McDaniels said. "Sure. But I can tell you that it wasn't like there was any grand plan by us to trade Jay Cutler. That wasn't the case. But when we've told them [Cutler and Cook], I think it's fallen on deaf ears.''

I texted Cutler and got no response. In his comments to Mortensen earlier, he said his time in Denver "had run its course,'' the rift between him and McDaniels is "not something they want to fix,'' that McDaniels -- in their meeting Saturday -- "made it clear he could still entertain trading me,'' and said the coach "made it clear he wants his own guy.''

I texted McDaniels, and shortly before 1 a.m. Eastern on Monday, he called to react to Cutler's words.

"Oh boy,'' he said, and sighed. "No, no, no. Nothing like that was conveyed.'' And he sighed again.

"I think the hangup is, 'Well, you considered doing it once, would you ever consider it again?' It keeps coming out like I want my own guy. Thinking we want to trade him now is totally opposite what we've been trying to do here ... We've been trying like hell for two weeks to get a face-to-face meeting.''

What frustrates McDaniels is that the two sides met -- he thinks without acrimony -- and then word gets out that there was tension or vindictiveness in the meeting. "It's hard to believe we're sharing the same intentions and can have such different interpretations of the meeting,'' he said. "When we met [Saturday], my point was, 'We all know where this was, and now we all have to try to move forward.' After we met for a while, and went over a lot of the same ground we'd been over, Jay said to me, 'Can I have a few more hours to think?' I said, 'Yeah, give me a call on my cell phone.' He never called. Bus [Cook] called Brian [Xanders], but Jay didn't call me.''

"No,'' he said. "He's got three years left on his contract. We're not at the point where we're going to do it now ... [But] it's probably something we're going to have to talk about. We've been trying to communicate, and I still want to try, but if that's the direction we're headed, we're going to have to talk.''

There's such a gulf in the two versions of events. But it looks like, taking the long view, Cutler will be playing elsewhere unless he and McDaniels sit in a room together for two hours and come out married. That's not likely to happen. Maybe Cutler can't take the dissing he feels from McDaniels, or maybe he's fabricating the dissing to justify in his own mind going somewhere else. I don't know. But I do know this: If I had the choice of Denver, Tampa Bay, Detroit and the Jets, and the Denver coach has worked successfully with Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, I'd be thinking very hard about not burning a bridge that can't be reconstructed.

At this point after all that has happened, if I really wanted Jay Cutler as my QB, I would get Mr Bowlen and myself on a plane and go where Jay is. I would not let what has been said, put my personal feelings aside or think about how this might be perceived by others (groveling) from doing this. I would go the extra miles knowing that I did all I could to correct the misperceptions with Jay. I would enlist the help of any resource I could think of to break through to him.

If this doesn't work, I would feverishly work to trade him between now and the draft. McDaniels does not need to start his time in Denver with this hanging over his head. The QB position, especially in Denver, creates too much distraction for a team that needs as much focus as this team does with all its changes.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Got love how people will still say this is on McDaniels. The past 2 weeks have been completely on Jay. Franchise QB my ass, he has the ability, lacks the mental toughness.

EDIT: I responded to this quickly this morning before seeing all the other stories. Something isn't right whether it Cook, Cutler, or McDaniels. But both sides are slipping up somewhere.

Traveler
03-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Got love how people will still say this is on McDaniels. The past 2 weeks have been completely on Jay. Franchise QB my ass, he has the ability, lacks the mental toughness.

QFT!

oubronco
03-16-2009, 06:19 AM

we were to late or we would've given up more than KC and traded Cutler, but we weren't trying to trade him we just listened....................BULLSHYT they have been lying to Jay from day one

Man-Goblin
03-16-2009, 06:24 AM
I'm glad McDaniels is talking now. I truly believe he just doesn't understand why Cutler can't get over this.

I think he just wants to go elsewhere and get an early extension; more power to him, I guess.

TonyR
03-16-2009, 06:30 AM
I like how everytime McDaniels gets quoted, he admits he lied about something new.

Come on, Rev. You're letting your distaste for the transition from Shanahan to McD cloud your judgement on this. It's very clear what's going on here. Jay, with the "help" of Bus Cook, has his mind made up about this and he's not listening. McD and the Broncos want this to work, they know it's best for everyone that it does. Jay has no intention of making it work. He won't compromise the situation at all. He's being difficult, not answering the phone, taking a defensive posture with all communications, and taking everything to the media. In other words, he's doing everything wrong. This can work out but only if he wants it to, and since it appears he doesn't want it to it probably won't. He's shatting where he sleeps and he's probably going to end up in a worse situation on a bad team. Everyone loses.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Come on, Rev. You're letting your distaste for the transition from Shanahan to McD cloud your judgement on this. It's very clear what's going on here. Jay, with the "help" of Bus Cook, has his mind made up about this and he's not listening. McD and the Broncos want this to work, they know it's best for everyone that it does. Jay has no intention of making it work. He won't compromise the situation at all. He's being difficult, not answering the phone, taking a defensive posture with all communications, and taking everything to the media. In other words, he's doing everything wrong. This can work out but only if he wants it to, and since it appears he doesn't want it to it probably won't. He's shatting where he sleeps and he's probably going to end up in a worse situation on a bad team. Everyone loses.

No... it's the truth.

Less than a week ago: "All we did was answer phones"
Now: "I think we were too late to the dance''

Drek
03-16-2009, 06:39 AM

we were to late or we would've given up more than KC and traded Cutler, but we weren't trying to trade him we just listened....................BULLSHYT they have been lying to Jay from day one

They'd already been approached with inquiries for Cutler at that point, don't you think it'd have been due diligence to check the going rate for Cassel?

Or should they have just plugged their ears when other GMs call because Cutler is obviously worth more than the potential return of Cassel and a couple first day picks?

Cito Pelon
03-16-2009, 06:51 AM
I'm glad McDaniels is talking now. I truly believe he just doesn't understand why Cutler can't get over this.

I think he just wants to go elsewhere and get an early extension; more power to him, I guess.

Sure he doesn't understand - the FO assumed they could treat Cutler like an adult. He has to be babied.

TonyR
03-16-2009, 06:53 AM
No... it's the truth.

Less than a week ago: "All we did was answer phones"
Now: "I think we were too late to the dance''

Even if this is true, Jay said he wanted out after Shanny and Bates left. How could they not listen to trade proposals? The one thing I'll agree with you on is that they probably should have been more upfront with Jay about this, but they certainly had no obligation to be.

Jay could have handled this best by putting his head down and moving forward as if everything was "normal". It's out of his control. Go to work and plan to be a winning QB, if not for Denver then for someone else. It's been all posturing. They (Jay and Bus) clearly have no intention of making this work unless everything is on their terms. I understand having your feelings hurt and feeling some mistrust. I don't understand not moving on from it. Again, he's shatting where he sleeps. Take the high road and make them regret ever considering moving you, and if they do move you make them regret doing it. But the way he's acting they're going to be relieved washing their hands of him. And again, everyone loses except for perhaps the bank accounts of Jay and Bus.

fontaine
03-16-2009, 06:57 AM

So let me get this straight.

According to our HC and brand new GM trading for a FRANCHISE QB took a backseat to the other six FA deals?

Seriously?

It was more important to deal with a stop gap safety, an injury prone RB in Buckhalter, a freakin long snapper, a back up WR, and some no name DLmen than it was addressing a trade involving franchise QBs with multiple first round picks being thrown around?

No, seriously?

This is getting ridiculous. McDaniels sounds either like the biggest retard new HC or is just lying through his teeth.

Are you telling me that you've got a possible deal regarding franchise QBs and first round picks and you turn around and say "Well, we can't pursue that intensely because we've got Lonnie Paxton and Jabar Gaffney, not to mention some guy named Correll Buckhalter to deal with!"

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Even if this is true, Jay said he wanted out after Shanny and Bates left. How could they not listen to trade proposals? The one thing I'll agree with you on is that they probably should have been more upfront with Jay about this, but they certainly had no obligation to be.

It's certainly true. It's a direct quote in black and white!

Actually both Jay and McDaniels say that never happened about him wanting out after Bates. But the simple fact that that's in the media shows there's a leak in dove valley, because Bus the devil Cook would never leak that and affect Jay's leverage.

Jay could have handled this best by putting his head down and moving forward as if everything was "normal". It's out of his control. Go to work and plan to be a winning QB, if not for Denver then for someone else. It's been all posturing. They (Jay and Bus) clearly have no intention of making this work unless everything is on their terms. I understand having your feelings hurt and feeling some mistrust. I don't understand not moving on from it. Again, he's shatting where he sleeps. Take the high road and make them regret ever considering moving you, and if they do move you make them regret doing it. But the way he's acting they're going to be relieved washing their hands of him. And again, everyone loses except for perhaps the bank accounts of Jay and Bus.

You're missing a lot. He's said he'll be there for every mandatory mini camp and TC. That is putting his head down and moving forward. Or do we crucify him for not lifting weights with his teammates? :rofl:

He didn't create this situation, but, as you said, he has the power to make them regret ever considering it. And that's what's happening. Agree with it or not, you're not in his shoes.

fontaine
03-16-2009, 07:03 AM
They'd already been approached with inquiries for Cutler at that point, don't you think it'd have been due diligence to check the going rate for Cassel?

Or should they have just plugged their ears when other GMs call because Cutler is obviously worth more than the potential return of Cassel and a couple first day picks?

If you want to go down that way sure.

But that's not the problem I have with McDaniels. When the trade didn't happen then it was the height of naivety for McDaniels to try and sweep it under the rug rather than being honest and upfront with Jay about it.

Don't you think it would have been a lot simpler if McDaniels had just called Cutler and said exactly what you've posted there rather than trying to fix the screw up only after the media broke the story?

Like I keep saying McDaniels comes off like a real amateur at this and looks like an a$$hole to his players, and Jay comes off like a whining crybaby because he can't get over it and has his head stuck up his agents a$$.

I can't tell you how disgusted I feel with both of these guys, especially considering how all we had to do was fix the defense this offseason.

Forget fixing the defense, the way McDaniels is going he would be lucky not to screw up a cup of morning coffee.

fontaine
03-16-2009, 07:05 AM
He didn't create this situation, but, as you said, he has the power to make them regret ever considering it. And that's what's happening. Agree with it or not, you're not in his shoes.

That's the way I see it too.

McDaniels made a rookie dumba$$ mistake and Cutler and his agent are going to make him pay dearly for it.

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 07:05 AM

According to our HC and brand new GM trading for a FRANCHISE QB took a backseat to the other six FA deals?

Seriously?

It was more important to deal with a stop gap safety, an injury prone RB in Buckhalter, a freakin long snapper, a back up WR, and some no name DLmen than it was addressing a trade involving franchise QBs with multiple first round picks being thrown around?

No, seriously?

This is getting ridiculous. McDaniels sounds either like the biggest retard new HC or is just lying through his teeth.

Are you telling me that you've got a possible deal regarding franchise QBs and first round picks and you turn around and say "Well, we can't pursue that intensely because we've got Lonnie Paxton and Jabar Gaffney, not to mention some guy named Correll Buckhalter to deal with!"

Or it could be interpreted to mean they didn't have much interest in the deal anyway, depending on which axe you want to grind.

Like eddie mac brought up, if the Broncos really wanted to trade Cutler for Cassell they could have just as easily picked up the phone and called Pioli to see what the deal would be. And if the argument is that McD wouldn't want Cutler in the division... really? I thought you said he wanted Cassell more than he wanted Cutler? That would mean he thinks Cassell is better. Why leave the better QB in KC?

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Or it could be interpreted to mean they didn't have much interest in the deal anyway, depending on which axe you want to grind.

Like eddie mac brought up, if the Broncos really wanted to trade Cutler for Cassell they could have just as easily picked up the phone and called Pioli to see what the deal would be. And if the argument is that McD wouldn't want Cutler in the division... really? I thought you said he wanted Cassell more than he wanted Cutler? That would mean he thinks Cassell is better. Why leave the better QB in KC?

No. No. No. No. NO!

We wouldn't trade Dominique Foxworth to Kansas City, but we'll trade Jay Cutler?

:spit:

fontaine
03-16-2009, 07:21 AM

I don't really have an axe to grind. McDaniels obviously felt Cutler wasn't as important to the team as Jay did otherwise he wouldn't have entertained any trade ideas. That's the basic problem and even now McDaniels isn't ready to admit anything other than that.

I don't really have a problem with trading Jay as long as we can get an equivalent player in return but as Josh has said it won't be for draft picks so I don't see any other avaiable QB that can come in and play like Jay or better.

Where as McDaniels, well, he's a complete unkown right now.

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 07:24 AM
I don't really have an axe to grind. McDaniels obviously felt Cutler wasn't as important to the team as Jay did otherwise he wouldn't have entertained any trade ideas. That's the basic problem and even now McDaniels isn't ready to admit anything other than that.

I don't really have a problem with trading Jay as long as we can get an equivalent player in return but as Josh has said it won't be for draft picks so I don't see any other avaiable QB that can come in and play like Jay or better.

Where as McDaniels, well, he's a complete unkown right now.

I assume the Broncos are going to tell Jay and Bus that Jay is under contract and they expect him to show up at camp and play. It will then be up to Jay to honor his contract. Or not.

want2bAbronco2
03-16-2009, 07:27 AM
I think Jay is being a Pu$$y. Everyone is in trade talks at some point, get over it and play.

TonyR
03-16-2009, 07:35 AM
McDaniels made a rookie dumba$$ mistake and Cutler and his agent are going to make him pay dearly for it.

Tell us again what the "dumba$$ mistake" was? Listening to trade offers? Trying to trade him? "Lying" about it? All of the above? I'm not sure any of these things are the felonies you're making them out to be.

If your boss was going to fire you next month do you think he's under any obligation to tell you now? NO! And if he changed his mind and didn't fire you do you think he's under any obligation to tell you he was considering it? Again, NO!

And you somehow support Jay and his agent making the Broncos organization "pay dearly" for this supposed "mistake" they made?

Jay and Bus have their minds made up. Only they can fix this. If things don't work out they are to blame, and they alone. Remember that.

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 07:42 AM
No. No. No. No. NO!

We wouldn't trade Dominique Foxworth to Kansas City, but we'll trade Jay Cutler?

:spit:

But the Cutlerite's argument is that McD thinks Cassel is a better QB than Cutler, so naturally, he would want the better QB to come to Denver and the lesser one to go to a division rival. Right? That's why he worked so hard to make the trade come out. Right?

lex
03-16-2009, 07:47 AM

Ahem. It seems like all the meetings go along the line of McDaniels talking at Jay and shovelling the same **** over and over. Josh probably thinks it goes well because Jay and his agent are careful to listen and not make it contentious. At some point Josh is going to have to give in and admit that he screwed up and that Jay is not just some longsnapper.

bjeffrey
03-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Let's see. McDaniels considers a trade involving Cutler and Cassel, and half the board interprets that as "McD thinks Cassel is a better QB". What else was in the trade? Don't you want to know? McD's job is to make the Broncs a better team. If he gets a PACKAGE that makes the team better--even if QB for QB, Cutler is better...hasn't he done his job?

rugbythug
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Ahem. It seems like all the meetings go along the line of McDaniels talking at Jay and shovelling the same **** over and over. Josh probably thinks it goes well because Jay and his agent are careful to listen and not make it contentious. At some point Josh is going to have to give in and admit that he screwed up and that Jay is not just some longsnapper.

Please Cup those Nutz More, the pressure makes it better.

lex
03-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Please Cup those Nutz More, the pressure makes it better.

???

Drek
03-16-2009, 07:56 AM
If you want to go down that way sure.

But that's not the problem I have with McDaniels. When the trade didn't happen then it was the height of naivety for McDaniels to try and sweep it under the rug rather than being honest and upfront with Jay about it.

Don't you think it would have been a lot simpler if McDaniels had just called Cutler and said exactly what you've posted there rather than trying to fix the screw up only after the media broke the story?

Less than a day after it happened Cutler said to Vic Lombardi that he didn't want to talk to them.

So what where they supposed to do, fly to Nashville and break into his house?

Cutler has made the Broncos go through Bus Cook from day one of this, yet gives the media direct access to his personal feelings on the matter, repeatedly. Doesn't that give you an idea of who the duplicitous one in all this really is?

epicSocialism4tw
03-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Like I keep saying McDaniels comes off like a real amateur at this and looks like an a$$hole to his players, and Jay comes off like a whining crybaby because he can't get over it and has his head stuck up his agents a$$.

Yeah, this thing has been very poorly handled. McD looks like he's in over his head.

colonelbeef
03-16-2009, 08:08 AM

Seriously?

No, seriously?

but but but Cutler should just accept bull**** and lies!

This franchise is now run by someone from the Patriots organization. Lying and bull****ting are par for the course.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
But the Cutlerite's argument is that McD thinks Cassel is a better QB than Cutler, so naturally, he would want the better QB to come to Denver and the lesser one to go to a division rival. Right? That's why he worked so hard to make the trade come out. Right?

Listen, Roh. I don't care about any stereotyping of Orangemane "factions". I care about what's black and white at the moment.

The fact is, he did try to trade him. He's admitted such at this point. Trading him now to a rival team is not in Denvers best interest and compares not one iota to the situation where he would've been traded to Tampa and Detroit (both OUTSIDE the entire conference, let alone the division), let alone a practice that takes place in Dove Valley, what-so-ever.

fontaine
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Less than a day after it happened Cutler said to Vic Lombardi that he didn't want to talk to them.

So what where they supposed to do, fly to Nashville and break into his house?

Cutler has made the Broncos go through Bus Cook from day one of this, yet gives the media direct access to his personal feelings on the matter, repeatedly. Doesn't that give you an idea of who the duplicitous one in all this really is?

Dude both sides are playing this. McDaniels has lied about it and screw up and gotten caught out with the lie while Cutler is playing the douche bag victim here orchestrated by his agent.

Both sides are doing it.

That's what I'm so disapointed with. A HC who looks like an a$$ to his players because he got caught "cheating" on his QB and a crybaby QB that hides behind his agent every time the new coach in town wants to talk tough with him.

Mike Shanahan would have seen this coming a mile away thats for sure. He only did/said something controversial about players after they LEFT Denver!
:rofl:

He was all praise for Cutler just like he was all praise for Plummer while he was the starter. McDaniels better be top notch as a gameday/week HC because as an offseason HC he already sucks a$$ when he's gotten played by a third year QB and a grease ball agent.

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Will Mister Jake Plummer answer the white courtesy telephone, please?

fontaine
03-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Too late he's either fumbled it or someone else intercepted the call!!
:rofl:

ColoradoDarin
03-16-2009, 10:03 AM

Aren't Jake's rights still retained by Tampa Bay?

Merlin
03-16-2009, 10:46 AM
It is amazing how deaf and blind the MacD lovers are. For days there was ample evidence that MacD WANTED his QB (his little blankie) despite having a much better one at hand. And now he clearly states it. To quote Maclier "McDaniels did pursue a deal with New England on the first day of free agency...Denver would have given more, likely a first-round pick, but Patriots coach Bill Belichick had his deal done with the Chiefs."

Think about that for a minute. Not only was MacIdiot considering Cassel, but he was willing to pay FAR MORE than market value to get him despite having a younger, more talented, more accomplished, pro-bowl QB. Like the LS saga, MacD is willing to pay more and displace the proven players in his team. Now how does that make him someone who should be respected above your franchise QB? This is a huge cluster f)(*&) and it is all MacD's doing. BTW, Cutler's interview in ESPN shows why he is pissed. Nothing to out of place, especially considering MacD's actions.

Again, this is an extremely violent game, a valid question is would you want to go to war with this HC. To be honest, I'm sure many players would not given the choice.

alpine
03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Peter King audio segment on the Dan Patrick show

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/listenlive.player.html?file=http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/danpatrick/audio/2009/03/16/DP-Peter_King-03-16-09_Interview.mp3

tonngo0
03-16-2009, 01:20 PM
who are the losers in all of this, well the Broncos fans that's who.

ZONA
03-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Get your information straight you idiot. The quote from Josh was "we were late to the dance". And that's all he said regarding that. It was peter Kings attempt to fill in the rest with Denver would have given more. The Broncos never said at any time they would have given more.

Again, you are trying to manipulate the material into making it sound like what you want to hear.

Pontius Pirate
03-16-2009, 02:48 PM
For some reason Jay is starting to remind me of Frank Cushman from Jerry Maguire

montrose
03-16-2009, 02:52 PM
For some reason Jay is starting to remind me of Frank Cushman from Jerry Maguire

I've got some serious Cush Lash.

elsid13
03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Well we now know who King's source was from the early piece about Bates and Cutler.