PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels wants to talk to Jay before other "alternatives" are considered.

24champ
03-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has formally asked to be traded, a request he made Sunday through his agent, Bus Cook.

For now, the Broncos are hoping to appease Cutler's concerns and reach an understanding so they do not have to trade him, coach Josh McDaniels told The Denver Post on Sunday night.

Cutler and Cook issued the trade request a day after a meeting with McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders did not go the way quarterback had hoped.

"I would like to talk to Jay before we go on and start to discuss some other type of alternative," McDaniels said Sunday night. "In the last couple weeks, we've been all about trying to communicate and resolve his unhappiness with what happened which we understand

It won't happen at McDaniels' first team meeting, which will be held this morning at the Dove Valley headquarters. Cutler will not be there.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11919325

Florida_Bronco
03-16-2009, 01:21 AM
This is encouraging.

Blueflame
03-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Why? Every time McD has communicated with Cutler, it's made things worse. So now McD wants to f things up further? Whatever... IMO, it would be better if the meeting was Bowlen or Xanders with Cutler.

Anaximines
03-16-2009, 01:25 AM
This is encouraging.

yeah, it is. This must be fixed. It seems like despite all of the fireworks this weekend, they could be close to something. I mean, Cutler had that line about thinking that if only McDaniels had called to take him out for a cup of coffee alone or whatever.... I think that they both want it to work.

arghemtee
03-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Now McDouche wants to talk?

Jay Cutler and Bus Cook OFFICIALLY asked to be traded and McDouche is left with no QB. This is hilarious. He has his hands tied behind his back.

He now wants level with Jay Cutler?

SureShot
03-16-2009, 01:27 AM
This is encouraging.

Cutler is going to get paid.

lazarus4444
03-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Why? Every time McD has communicated with Cutler, it's made things worse. So now McD wants to f things up further? Whatever... IMO, it would be better if the meeting was Bowlen or Xanders with Cutler.

Yes, ONLY Bowlen, Xanders and Cutler. NO bus cook or mcdaniels. That would make me happy.

OBF1
03-16-2009, 01:30 AM
I hope McDaniels gets Cutler to show up in his office where McD had Spider hiding in the wings, Spider sneeks up and Donkey punches that bitch and knocks some of that whining out of him... Then ofcourse we trade Donkey kong to the lions for 2 #1's 2009 and 2010 and move on with players that actully want to be in Denver.

DeusExManning
Clearly Mcdaniels has proven he cannot communicate. He can draw up a great play but communicating is what being the head coach is all about.

arghemtee

You want to know what happened?

McDaniels and Cutler have their meeting, things get progressively worse. Jay Cutler decided a trade would be the best option, and OFFICIALLY requests one (You know, not like when he found out Shanahan or Bates were fired). Pat Bowlen then realizes he is going to lose his STAR QB, a QB that has the ability to make him millions. Bowlen and McDaniels have a meeting, Bowlen says he wants Cutler and if he doesn't fix things, McDaniels will be gone, not Cutler.

McDaniels calls the press and says he wants to work things out and get on the same level as a Jay Cutler, to keep a Franchise QB.

UberBroncoMan
I still think you're a lying asshat McDaniels but if you fix this **** and get the ball moving I'll be be looking forward to this season more than any other in a long time.

I love our offense, and I want to see the spread with Cutler. I also want to see our defense with Dawkens at the helm and the 3-4/hybrid.

Fix this **** McDaniels. I don't care how... freaking buy a Starbucks shop in Nashville for an hour and go have 1 on 1 special alone time with Cutler and get this hammered out.

It's clear and factual that you completely lied about Cassle, and now you need to get the Broncos Pro Bowl QB back and rolling.

I think McTard now realises that if Cutler is gone he's ****ed this season and could end up being another Wade Phillips. In all likelyhood the Broncos would be out of the playoffs for the next 2 years after the following (3 total) without a quality QB and our patched up 31+ year old defense.

Lets face it our defense is going to be built completely over the draft over the next 3 years.

I simply would have a hard time watching the Broncos next season with McTard on the sidelines if Cutler isn't our QB. Knowing that the man who caused this turmoil, the man who only needed to fix the D, and incorporate his O scheme could fracture the young nucleous that so many of us have been waiting a decade for, would SUCK.

... FIX THIS ****

AbileneBroncoFan
03-16-2009, 01:31 AM
McDaniels knows good and well we won't win **** if we trade our best player and start whatever clown he throws in there.

If he's smart, he'll tell Jay whatever he wants to hear, even if he doesn't agree with it. This is not worth either one of them losing their jobs over. I hate to tell you McDaniels, but you won't win **** with Chris Simms or Jeff Garcia (or God forbid, Mark Sanchez) just like you didn't win jack **** with Matt Cassel (you ****ed a lot of stuff up to get a guy with zero career college wins, 10 career NFL wins, 0 postseason wins in college or the NFL, and 0 all star awards). I hate to tell you Jay, but going to Detroit is going to suck a lot worse than having a new head coach in Denver.

Popps
03-16-2009, 01:32 AM
"I would like to talk to Jay before we go on and start to discuss some other type of alternative," McDaniels said Sunday night. "In the last couple weeks, we've been all about trying to communicate and resolve his unhappiness with what happened which we understand ]

Josh, let me save you the trouble, buddy.

Just call his agent and ask him what the numbers are. You may want to wear extra-thick underwear that day... because Jay Cutler doesn't need "resolving."

He and his ****-bag agent are putting a gun to your head. Hopefully, you'll be as collected as you have been thus far, and won't cave in to these tactics.

arghemtee
03-16-2009, 01:32 AM

Bingo. Bowlen decided to take a sip of something other than Burbon and realizes Jay Cutler can turn this franchise around before McDaniels.

Blueflame
03-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Yes, ONLY Bowlen, Xanders and Cutler. NO bus cook or mcdaniels. That would make me happy.

I'd be happy with only Bowlen or Xanders and Cutler...one guy from the administration and the player. But it's clear that the friction is between Cutler and McD so McD's presence there wouldn't be conducive to a positive outcome. IMHO.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Oh on a side note... he could be saying this just to save face that he...

"tried" his best to keep Cutler.

Part of me truly believes though that McTard knows his job is basically forfeit if he can't make this work... and he's back to being an OC in all likelyhood.

arghemtee

Just call his agent and ask him what the numbers are. You may want to wear extra-thick underwear that day... because Jay Cutler doesn't need "resolving."

He and his ****-bag agent are putting a gun to your head. Hopefully, you'll be as collected as you have been thus far, and won't cave in to these tactics.

Hello!? He already has. Hilarious!

He is making statements to the press saying they need to work this out, something he has yet done.

Popps
Clearly Mcdaniels has proven he cannot communicate. He can draw up a great play but communicating is what being the head coach is all about.

Yea, apparently he tried to communicate to Jay in the form of a coach/player meeting.

But, Jay dragged the agent-trash into the office and stunk up the place.

Why would an agent need to attend a meeting between a player/coach to air out differences?

hmmmmm.......

Popps
03-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Hello!? He already has. Hilarious!

He is making statements to the press saying they need to work this out, something he has yet done.

Oh, he knows something needs to be done. I imagine he's just not going to let Jay's agent slime him.

Jay wants to parlay this into a big contract.

Ain't gonna happen. Not like this.

Killericon
03-16-2009, 01:36 AM
No, no! Don't tempt me, foul demon of hope!

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Now McDouche wants to talk?

Jay Cutler and Bus Cook OFFICIALLY asked to be traded and McDouche is left with no QB. This is hilarious. He has his hands tied behind his back.

He now wants level with Jay Cutler?

maybe it finally dawned on him that he has a much higher chance of being a HC for longer than a couple of seasons and maybe being successful if he has Jay and not Simms or some other scrub or rookie leading this team.

Florida_Bronco
03-16-2009, 01:37 AM

Simply put, I think it's a personality conflict. Looking at the "Cutler talks to ESPN" thread, it's pretty clear that Jay went to the meeting wanting to work it out, but was put off by McDaniel's. Now I won't get into whether McD was justified or if Jay is justified in being upset...but the simple matter is both members seemingly want Jay in Denver...so somewhere along the lines is a major communication foul up.

To me, it looks like McD realizes that this situation can be salvaged with both saving face and he's attempting to do that.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 01:37 AM

You don't honestly believe we'll make the playoffs without Jay the next 2-3 years and McDaniels will still have a job do you?

McDaniels knows he needs him if he wants to stay head coach. He just didn't realize it till things got bad enough for Jay to ask to be traded.

If Jay is gone McDaniels is done here in a year or two as Wade Phillips 2.0, book it.

Popps
03-16-2009, 01:39 AM
You don't honestly believe we'll make the playoffs without Jay the next 2-3 years and McDaniels will still have a job do you?.

It's possible. Plenty of recent examples. Next year? No.

McDaniels knows he needs him if he wants to stay head coach..

You'd better read Bowlen's quotes a few times, kid.

24champ

Popps, I understand that "it's just business", when you discuss or listen to trade offers for one of the teams star players. The same is going on with Jay and Cook, "its just business" with their tactics. The Broncos will have to pay for their mistakes, literally.

UberBroncoMan
Oh, he knows something needs to be done. I imagine he's just not going to let Jay's agent slime him.

Jay wants to parlay this into a big contract.

Ain't gonna happen. Not like this.

As much as I think Cook wants a big contract and even Jay to an extent.

It would be foolish to think that he needs to force Denver to sign him to one. All he has to do is play his ass off for three years and he'll be the highest paid QB in history with whatever team signs him.

thumpc
How could Xanders presence help?

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Popps, I understand that "it's just business", when you discuss or listen to trade offers for one of the teams star players. The same is going on with Jay and Cook, "its just business" with their tactics. The Broncos will have to pay for their mistakes, literally.

That's a really interesting perspective and way of putting it.

^5

Taco John
03-16-2009, 01:40 AM
It's possible. Plenty of recent examples. Next year? No.

You'd better read Bowlen's quotes a few times, kid.

There's actually only one quote on the record for Bowlen at this time:

"I'm very disappointed," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Sunday. "I'm disappointed in the whole picture, not just disappointed that we might lose our star quarterback."

Taco John
03-16-2009, 01:41 AM

If Josh needs someone to staple some papers, Xanders could bring the stapler.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 01:42 AM

"I'm very disappointed," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Sunday. "I'm disappointed in the whole picture, not just disappointed that we might lose our star quarterback."

This is true. The "more upset with Jay's handling over the last two weeks" was never listed as a quote." It may have been taken out of context etc. Who knows.

The MVPlaya
03-16-2009, 01:43 AM
I have to admit, if they do get through this... this will be a story to be told... and this will benefit their future relationship.

That is if they get through it.

SureShot
03-16-2009, 01:47 AM

He can run the numbers on Cutlers new contract.

Popps
03-16-2009, 01:51 AM

Ahhhh... the old selective editing, eh Tacster?

Go ahead and post the next sentence. You know, the one when they asked him to clarify and he said he stood behind his staff and was disappointed in Cutlerbus for his actions.

Go ahead, boss. Post the truth.

arghemtee
03-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Let's take a look at Top QB's contracts signed in the past few years.

Eli Manning - Reportedly has a contract in place that will exceed the 100 million mark.

Ben Roethlisberger - 3/3/2008: Signed an eight-year, $102 million contract. The deal contains $33.2 million guaranteed, including a $25.2 million signing bonus.

Tony Romo - 10/29/2007: Signed a six-year, $67.4 million contract extension through 2013. The deal contains $30 million guaranteed, including an $11.5 million signing bonus and Romo's 2008 base salary

Drew Brees - 3/14/2006: Signed a six-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $20 million guaranteed, including an $8 million signing bonus.

Taco John
03-16-2009, 01:54 AM
Ahhhh... the old selective editing, eh Tacster?

Go ahead and post the next sentence. You know, the one when they asked him to clarify and he said he stood behind his staff and was disappointed in Cutlerbus for his actions.

Go ahead, boss. Post the truth.

I posted the quote. Everyone knows what followed that. But there is only one quote on the record.

I think the quote reveals the truth, and the clarification is what Pat has to say to cover his tracks. But that's just my take on the conflicting statements. Do you have any thoughts on why the two statements are in conflict with eachother?

wolf754life
03-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Guys, here is the deal. Bowlen and McDaniels and Xanders had an emergency meeting on Sunday.

Bowlen has requested McDaniels to exhaust all options with Jay before revisiting trades.

I'm told the broncos have offers from the lions, the browns, tampa, Minny, Chicago and interestingly the CAROLINA Panthers. But these are all on the backburner while McDaniels tries to reach out to Jay one last time.

The source told me that a trade is likely before the draft, but if, a big if, McDaniels can get through to Jay there is still a chance this can be saved.

Bowlen is said to be in total panic, willing to do almost anything to keep his franchise QB.... a new deal is not out of the realm of possibility.

the wolf

Popps
03-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Let's take a look at Top QB's contracts signed in the past few years.

Eli Manning - Reportedly has a contract in place that will exceed the 100 million mark.

Ben Roethlisberger - 3/3/2008: Signed an eight-year, $102 million contract. The deal contains $33.2 million guaranteed, including a $25.2 million signing bonus.

Tony Romo - 10/29/2007: Signed a six-year, $67.4 million contract extension through 2013. The deal contains $30 million guaranteed, including an $11.5 million signing bonus and Romo's 2008 base salary

Drew Brees - 3/14/2006: Signed a six-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $20 million guaranteed, including an $8 million signing bonus.

Exactly.

Cutlerbus are holding out for that, and more.

You people really think this is about Jay's "feelings?"

Honestly? You really believe that?

It's precious, if you do. Honestly, it's just adorable.

Popps
03-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Guys, here is the deal. Bowlen and McDaniels and Xanders had an emergency meeting on Sunday.

Bowlen has requested McDaniels to exhaust all options with Jay before revisiting trades.

I'm told the broncos have offers from the lions, the browns, tampa, Minny, Chicago and interestingly the CAROLINA Panthers. But these are all on the backburner while McDaniels tries to reach out to Jay one last time.

The source told me that a trade is likely before the draft, but if, a big if, McDaniels can get through to Jay there is still a chance this can be saved.

Bowlen is said to be in total panic, willing to do almost anything to keep his franchise QB.... a new deal is not out of the realm of possibility.

the wolf

Hey, you're no more or less credible than any of these other hacks quoting "sources."

Have any of these ****ers got anything right yet? Remember the "Jay will report on Monday" articles?

Good lord.

Popps
03-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Do you have any thoughts on why the two statements are in conflict with eachother?

Yes, do have thoughts.

They don't conflict.

He is upset. We all are. He doesn't want to lose a quality QB. None of us do.

Where's the conflict? Both are true. He IS upset, and he DOES think Cutlerbus is an idiot.

Makes sense.

arghemtee
03-16-2009, 02:06 AM
Exactly.

I honestly believe it's about both.

I think it's Cutler's feelings and Cook's move to get more money. I honestly don't believe there is anything wrong with this. If Josh McDaniels truly intended to keep Jay Cutler his QB, why not sign him now while he will be 'cheaper' ?

thumpc
03-16-2009, 02:06 AM
If Josh needs someone to staple some papers, Xanders could bring the stapler.

Xanders, the "GM". It was his job to tell the talented young coach that his QB would be Cutler, plain and simple. A kid born in the Carter administration is not suppossed to be wheeling and dealing with my quarterback Gawdammit!

DBroncos4life
03-16-2009, 02:08 AM

Does anyone know what the hell happened in NE at all? If BBs boys are so well coached then why do the all fail outside of NE when trying to make their marks on their new teams? How do we not know that they are all yes men and BB is the brain child behind NE?

BB unloaded a QB that he almost cut that lead his team to 11 wins WITHOUT even knowing if his other all pro QB could even play again. In doing so he ****ed over his former OC and cause all sorts of problems with us and really making it harder for us to improve this year. Sounds like to me he traded a guy he never really wanted to keep around and **** over another team. The man is amazing.

summerdenver
03-16-2009, 02:38 AM
I hope McDaniels gets Cutler to show up in his office where McD had Spider hiding in the wings, Spider sneeks up and Donkey punches that b**** and knocks some of that whining out of him... Then ofcourse we trade Donkey kong to the lions for 2 #1's 2009 and 2010 and move on with players that actully want to be in Denver.

In my dream scenario we will also sneak in socal along with spidy and while spidy is donkey punching Jay, socal will throw cobras at the midsections of J-Mac, Xanders and Pat.

Dudeskey
03-16-2009, 02:44 AM

I think it's Cutler's feelings and Cook's move to get more money. I honestly don't believe there is anything wrong with this. If Josh McDaniels truly intended to keep Jay Cutler his QB, why not sign him now while he will be 'cheaper' ?

cheaper? I think Bus would be trying to fetch Peyton Manning/ Tom Brady type money...

summerdenver
03-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Does anyone know what the hell happened in NE at all? If BBs boys are so well coached then why do the all fail outside of NE when trying to make their marks on their new teams? How do we not know that they are all yes men and BB is the brain child behind NE?

BB unloaded a QB that he almost cut that lead his team to 11 wins WITHOUT even knowing if his other all pro QB could even play again. In doing so he ****ed over his former OC and cause all sorts of problems with us and really making it harder for us to improve this year. Sounds like to me he traded a guy he never really wanted to keep around and **** over another team. The man is amazing.

BB has his hand in all areas and is big reason of their success but J-Mac is also held in high regard in NE. I personally think he will be good coach down the line. He has, IMHO, did not handle this situation well but these are similar to mistakes made by Mike and BB in their first jobs. He is a smart guy, he will learn from his mistakes and will be a good coach.

I just hope we can keep Jay too as if he stays coaching staff can concentrate on fixing the defense.

Popps
03-16-2009, 02:55 AM

It would be foolish to think that he needs to force Denver to sign him to one. All he has to do is play his ass off for three years and he'll be the highest paid QB in history with whatever team signs him.

I think that's the part they had a problem with.

Popps
03-16-2009, 02:58 AM

McDaniels hasn't even seen him throw a pass in his system. Add to that his questionable reputation, and yea... the guy does have health issues.

There's no way Bowlen and Co. break the bank on him before the know he's the right fit for the new staff.

Blueflame
03-16-2009, 02:59 AM

PR-wise, Belicheat certainly "schooled" (or is that "pwned"?) his former assistant coach throughout the "trade talk/leak" ....

eddie mac
03-16-2009, 04:08 AM

They want the money now before a new CBA kicks in. Haven't you heard a player just got a $100m contract???

There wont be any of those post 2010.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2009, 04:10 AM
We should just blame this entire mess on those damn Goobacks.

<object width="445" height="364"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4_5EqfcmWO4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></object>

Dedhed
03-16-2009, 04:15 AM
I'd be happy with only Bowlen or Xanders and Cutler...one guy from the administration and the player. But it's clear that the friction is between Cutler and McD so McD's presence there wouldn't be conducive to a positive outcome. IMHO.

This is brutally naive.

extralife
03-16-2009, 04:35 AM
Exactly.

Well, YOU certainly believed it was about his feelings until about, oh, ten hours ago, am I right? Or were the hundred and hundreds of "JAY IS AN EMO PUSSY ****WIT GET IN LINE, KID" posts just a CLEVER ROUSE to manipulate our petty whims?!

Get over yourself, Popps. You've taken one line for years and nothing short of 0-16 will change your tune. Keep fiddling, Nero.

Atwater His Ass
03-16-2009, 04:37 AM
Well, YOU certainly believed it was about his feelings until about, oh, ten hours ago, am I right? Or were the hundred and hundreds of "JAY IS AN EMO p***Y ****WIT GET IN LINE, KID" posts just a CLEVER ROUSE to manipulate our petty whims?!

Get over yourself, Popps. You've taken one line for years and nothing short of 0-16 will change your tune. Keep fiddling, Nero.

Speaking from experience, once you put Popps on ignore, the mane becomes a much more tolerable place.

Mogulseeker
03-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Exactly.

You think this goes all the way back to the original trade talks where Cutler "got his feelings hurt" - it was just a ploy by him and Cook to try and get more money?

Gort
03-16-2009, 05:56 AM
for all the Cutler nuthuggers who are blaming everything on McD, i have one question.

do you think Vince Lombardi, or Tom Landry, or Don Shula, or Paul Brown would have handled this situation any differently than McD?

i don't.

why confronted with a petulant child (Cutler), you don't acquiesce to their whims.

Lombardi would never have tolerated Cutler's behavior these past 2 weeks. never.

Spider
03-16-2009, 06:04 AM
I still think you're a lying asshat McDaniels but if you fix this **** and get the ball moving I'll be be looking forward to this season more than any other in a long time.

I love our offense, and I want to see the spread with Cutler. I also want to see our defense with Dawkens at the helm and the 3-4/hybrid.

Fix this **** McDaniels. I don't care how... freaking buy a Starbucks shop in Nashville for an hour and go have 1 on 1 special alone time with Cutler and get this hammered out.

It's clear and factual that you completely lied about Cassle, and now you need to get the Broncos Pro Bowl QB back and rolling.

I think McTard now realises that if Cutler is gone he's ****ed this season and could end up being another Wade Phillips. In all likelyhood the Broncos would be out of the playoffs for the next 2 years after the following (3 total) without a quality QB and our patched up 31+ year old defense.

Lets face it our defense is going to be built completely over the draft over the next 3 years.

I simply would have a hard time watching the Broncos next season with McTard on the sidelines if Cutler isn't our QB. Knowing that the man who caused this turmoil, the man who only needed to fix the D, and incorporate his O scheme could fracture the young nucleous that so many of us have been waiting a decade for, would SUCK.

... FIX THIS ****

LOL well at least you didnt blame the Union for this ..........

Spider
03-16-2009, 06:08 AM
If Jay doesnt want to be here , then let him go , I would actually like to see a strong defense with a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense ...........

Broncoman13
03-16-2009, 06:28 AM
You know what, there is some middle ground here. Cutler needs to let up a little bit and McD needs to understand that stating the facts bluntly is probably not the best way to get this thing settled. He continues to say that he will consider all trades that would benefit the Broncos as if to tell Jay that he's not untouchable. The fact of the matter is, the Broncos have no intentions of trading Jay Cutler and really don't think that will benefit them (smart assumption). McDaniels needs to calm down and tell Jay that he is the QB of the Broncos and that he wants and needs Jay Cutler in Denver. Quit with the BS and justifications. What happened, happened. McD could do a lot to solve this by telling Jay very plainly, "Look dude, I'm feeling a lot of pressure. This is my first HC job and I want to succeed. You're a great QB but you don't have a pre-existing experience with my system. Cassel does and would have given me a bit of a comfort zone improvement. It doesn't have anything to do with you or your ability as a football player. I'm just feeling the pressure to win and win now." If Cutler can't understand that and still wants to be a baby about the whole thing, then you say, "Jay, I've been open with you and expressed my feelings on the whole thing. You've not handled this well either. At some point, whether it's here in Denver or elsewhere, you're going to have to grow up. Good luck." Then you have to consider trading him.

Bottom line, stop the hard stance. I think McD and the FO made their point and justified the reasons for considering a trade. Gotta consider everything, yadayadayada. No need to reiterate it, Cutler has heard it enough. Everytime he hears it now it comes across as he could still be traded b/c he's not the right guy for McD. Sounds like McD isn't trying to say that but that is the message Cutler is receiving. Time to change the message.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 06:32 AM
I've had plenty of time to mull it over, and I have to admit, Popps is right.

Yes, Popps is right.

Clearly last season, Bus Cook explained to Jay the master plan. So Jay threw one extra interception, which cost a playoff berth and Shanahan's job, and then brought McDaniels in, who saw that extra pick and realized Cassell was more valuable to the franchise, which Jay could then play off as betrayal for a new contract even though IT WAS HIS MASTER PLAN ALL ALONG!

It's genius.

El Guapo
03-16-2009, 06:35 AM

Hopefully so. Why has he remained so quiet about this whole ordeal this entire time? C'mon Bowlen, do the right thing!!!

Broncoman13
03-16-2009, 06:35 AM

Yes, Popps is right.

Clearly last season, Bus Cook explained to Jay the master plan. So Jay threw one extra interception, which cost a playoff berth and Shanahan's job, and then brought McDaniels in, who saw that extra pick and realized Cassell was more valuable to the franchise, which Jay could then play off as betrayal for a new contract even though IT WAS HIS MASTER PLAN ALL ALONG!

It's genius.

Gotta admit, the predictive analysis from Buss Cook is certainly amazing. For him to be able to set this in motion and have it work out thus far is truly remarkable. The wheels are finally starting to slow down on this thing though. The one thing they couldn't count on... how the gutless drunk would proceed with it all. Hard to predict the actions of a drunk! ;D Ha!

Rabb
03-16-2009, 06:36 AM
I am far from a McDaniels apologist but why are we trashing him when it was Jay taking his ball and going home?

Not showing up today and working through his agent so much shows his agenda pretty clearly to me.

All about his team mates my ass

fontaine
03-16-2009, 06:50 AM
I am far from a McDaniels apologist but why are we trashing him when it was Jay taking his ball and going home?

Because if Detroit and Tampa had called Tomlin/Bellicheck/Coughlin/Turner about trading for Big Ben, Brady, Manning, or Rivers they would have laughed in their faces and told them to **** off.

Our coach listened, thought about it, and engaged in trade talks, then lied about it and is now wondering why Jay is upset as EVEN NOW he hasn't confirmed Jay is going to his franchise guy.

No doubt Jay and his agent are making the most of this and are acting like a bunch of spoiled kids, but McDaniels completely a$$ humped himself into this problem.

Broncoman13
03-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Because if Detroit and Tampa had called Tomlin/Bellicheck/Coughlin/Turner about trading for Big Ben, Brady, Manning, or Rivers they would have laughed in their faces and told them to **** off.

Our coach listened, thought about it, and engaged in trade talks, then lied about it and is now wondering why Jay is upset as EVEN NOW he hasn't confirmed Jay is going to his franchise guy.

No doubt Jay and his agent are making the most of this to get a huge deal and are acting like a bunch of spoiled kids, but McDaniels completely a$$ humped himself into this problem.

Yep! Exactly how I see this ongoing issue. Jay didn't start it. Now he's not handling it very well... not that McD is either. Quit reiterating at every meeting that you're this hardass. You're owner isn't playing the game any more. Jay Cutler isn't bluffing, your move McD... F it up and your days are numbered before you ever have a chance to coach a game. Right, wrong, or indifferent... everyone has to admit that McD has put himself into a horrible situation before his team's first mini-camp. His career as a HC has started as roughly as anyone's!

maher_tyler
03-16-2009, 07:22 AM

He should but in the contract it should say that he needs to quit crying like a little girl every times something doesn't go his way!!

eddie mac
03-16-2009, 07:23 AM

No doubt Jay and his agent are making the most of this to get a huge deal and are acting like a bunch of spoiled kids, but McDaniels completely a$$ humped himself into this problem.

Well considering at least 3 sources now have stated the Lions offered more than 1 1st rd pick why the **** wouldn't he listen given the fact Cutler had already previously asked to be traded???

IMHO 1-1. 1-20, Cassel is far better than a little b****, a 2nd rd pick and 3rd pick.

Man-Goblin
03-16-2009, 07:38 AM
They want the money now before a new CBA kicks in. Haven't you heard a player just got a $100m contract???

There wont be any of those post 2010.

That is an EXCELLENT point. The players will all be locked out after this season, so there won't be any contract negotiations until after it is resolved. For all we know, the lockout could last for a season or two, or up until when Cutler's deal is coming to an end. And one of the main sticking points for the owners is significantly reducing the allowable lengths of contracts.

Brilliant, Eddie Mac, brilliant. I hadn't thought of that.

fontaine
03-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Well considering at least 3 sources now have stated the Lions offered more than 1 1st rd pick why the **** wouldn't he listen given the fact Cutler had already previously asked to be traded???

IMHO 1-1. 1-20, Cassel is far better than a little b****, a 2nd rd pick and 3rd pick.

I thought the only person to say that was Peter King? Didn't both sides say that Cutler didn't demand a trade before?

Anyways, then why all the drama?

I don't get it, if Jay REALLY asked for a trade and wanted out weeks ago then why all the crying and whining from Jay when news broke that McDaniels did think about trading him?

Sorry, that just doesn't sound legit. For one McDaniels/Bowlen would have already come out and said Jay asked for a trade AND THAT'S part of the reason why McDaniels was looking at Cassell etc etc because the last thing they want is the create a rift between the players and get all this bad press.

That's why I'm not buying this talk of Jay requesting a trade before.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 07:47 AM

That's not because McDaniels is doing anything wrong, it's because Cutler is being told by Bus Cook to "get offended" every time they meet. There's nothing McDaniels has said or done that legitimizes this kind of temper tantrum because Cutler's endgame has been to get traded and get a new contract the whole time. McDaniels could bring him brownies and grovel like a beggar and Cutler would leave and tell Vic Lombardi "The meeting did not go well. Rift still remains."

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM
That's not because McDaniels is doing anything wrong, it's because Cutler is being told by Bus Cook to "get offended" every time they meet. There's nothing McDaniels has said or done that legitimizes this kind of temper tantrum because Cutler's endgame has been to get traded and get a new contract the whole time. McDaniels could bring him brownies and grovel like a beggar and Cutler would leave and tell Vic Lombardi "The meeting did not go well. Rift still remains."

I completely agree. :thumbsup:

Yes, Popps is right.

It's genius.

rugbythug
03-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Cutler Says-

I want to be a Bronco.

McD Says-

He is our QB we want him to be a Bronco.

Yet We still have all this turmoil. One of the Parties is Lying. Which one?

Pretty easy answer to that. Don't even read one quote. Words mean nothing until Backed by action.

Actions Taken or Not.

Cutler Not Traded=Broncos Want Him
Cutler Called for Face to Face meeting=Broncos Want Him
Cutler Flys out of town=Cutler wants to go. (straight from the Bus Cook Negotiation tactic handbook
Broncos owner Repeatedly calls=Broncos want him
Cutler avoids calls=Cutler wants to go
Meeting is Scheduled Cutler stipulates Agent present=Cutler wants to go Broncos want him to stay
Meeting sucks-
Cutler Flies out of Town=Cutler wants to go.

Who is gaining from all this? Not the Broncos they will not be able to get value for their QB when traded. Cutler will probably pick up an extra 20 million in new money.

El Guapo
03-16-2009, 08:03 AM
That is an EXCELLENT point. The players will all be locked out after this season, so there won't be any contract negotiations until after it is resolved. For all we know, the lockout could last for a season or two, or up until when Cutler's deal is coming to an end. And one of the main sticking points for the owners is significantly reducing the allowable lengths of contracts.

Brilliant, Eddie Mac, brilliant. I hadn't thought of that.

Bingo.

Drek
03-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Yes, Popps is right.

It's genius.

You've got some pretty powerful blinders on for Jay so I can see how you totally misconstrue this, but here's a few facts for you.

With Shanahan/Bates there wasn't any fear about Cutler getting the big deal in the very near future. Maybe not this off-season, but by next off-season he'd be looking at a record breaking deal.

When Shanahan got fired it put that assured deal in jeopardy. When he hired McDaniels it put it even more in danger because he's coming from a team who replaced a former star QB (Bledsoe) in a single season and who had a more than acceptable replacement step in for Brady. Also a coach from a team who wasn't big on handing out money to players with two years left on the deal (since they'd be seeking an extension in 2010, ideally following a second straight pro bowl appearance).

But what the coaching change did give them was an excellent opportunity to railroad the organization by manipulating the fan base into thinking they were going to lose Cutler. All they had to find was a single thing Cutler could get indignant about. I'm personally 50/50 that Cook fed teams info that Cutler was available, but even if he didn't and the trade talks never happened something else would've been found to nit pick.

Since then its all been media manipulation to try and divide the fan base and put the Broncos in between a rock and a hard place where they need to cough up the new deal even when Cutler has three years left on his current deal, or trade him to someone who would.

Its not too different from how Cook orchestrated Favre's situation last year, complete with blocking contact with the organization, working through the media, and having what ground the organization does give never be enough. Same dance, just to a slightly different tune.

TheReverend
03-16-2009, 08:05 AM
You've got some pretty powerful blinders on for Jay so I can see how you totally misconstrue this, but here's a few facts for you.

With Shanahan/Bates there wasn't any fear about Cutler getting the big deal in the very near future. Maybe not this off-season, but by next off-season he'd be looking at a record breaking deal.

When Shanahan got fired it put that assured deal in jeopardy. When he hired McDaniels it put it even more in danger because he's coming from a team who replaced a former star QB (Bledsoe) in a single season and who had a more than acceptable replacement step in for Brady. Also a coach from a team who wasn't big on handing out money to players with two years left on the deal (since they'd be seeking an extension in 2010, ideally following a second straight pro bowl appearance).

But what the coaching change did give them was an excellent opportunity to railroad the organization by manipulating the fan base into thinking they were going to lose Cutler. All they had to find was a single thing Cutler could get indignant about. I'm personally 50/50 that Cook fed teams info that Cutler was available, but even if he didn't and the trade talks never happened something else would've been found to nit pick.

Since then its all been media manipulation to try and divide the fan base and put the Broncos in between a rock and a hard place where they need to cough up the new deal even when Cutler has three years left on his current deal, or trade him to someone who would.

Its not too different from how Cook orchestrated Favre's situation last year, complete with blocking contact with the organization, working through the media, and having what ground the organization does give never be enough. Same dance, just to a slightly different tune.

That's funny. Do you have one single fact to support any of your story, or do we file this in the sci-fi subforum?

Meck77
03-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Gotta admit, the predictive analysis from Buss Cook is certainly amazing. For him to be able to set this in motion and have it work out thus far is truly remarkable. The wheels are finally starting to slow down on this thing though. The one thing they couldn't count on... how the gutless drunk would proceed with it all. Hard to predict the actions of a drunk! ;D Ha!

Actually I think Bowlen has been very consistent with holding young talent accountable to their contracts. See Clinton Portis.

I don't think Jay went into this season wanting a trade but as soon as Shanny was toast he figured that now is the time to make a move and gain some leverage since his security blanket was gone.

I'm just glad that McD is coming out and giving his version of how things played out. We now have two different versions. The only opinion that really matters in all of this is the man who has to write the check.

Pat could either give Cutler a nice love letter or he could send Cutler a NEW contract. Some still think Culter wants a love letter. :rofl:

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 08:10 AM

If I were McDaniels I would head into that meeting with a sheet of paper and a few different numbers written on them...because this is what its all coming down to with Cutler and his agent...

4,000 yards passing
Less than 20 interceptions
More than 8 wins

A guaranteed monster contract number...

There you go Jay.....shut up and play...post these numbers, especially the wins and prove you deserve to be a franchise QB...then you earn your paycheck

meangene
03-16-2009, 08:25 AM
He should meet with Cutler and tell him if he wants to be traded we will try to accommodate him IF we can find a deal acceptable to us. For that to be accomplished, he, and his agent, need to stop running their mouths to the press before they diminish his trade value any further. Rosters are full of players who demanded trades and didn't go anywhere. In other words, Jay, STFU!

fontaine
03-16-2009, 08:26 AM

Then why did Jay meet with McDaniels in the first two weeks and talk to him about how McDaniels came to Denver excited because Jay was here etc etc?

No doubt Jay wants the best deal for himself but he's still under contract for the next three years and he was going to get paid anyway. The situation has only gone to hell since McDaniels looked into a trade and since then has said "well we want Jay here as our QB" . . . . "We have to look at every trade possibility etc etc."

Meck77
03-16-2009, 08:30 AM
No doubt Jay wants the best deal for himself but he's still under contract for the next three years and he was going to get paid anyway."

You do realize that Jay's salary for this season not including incentives is around $1.3M don't you?

Simms is making $3M per year.

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 08:32 AM
And now it finally boils down to what this entire circus has been about since the beginning. It can all be described in just four words: Show Me The Money!

fontaine
03-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Yeah that's all fine and well, but the problem with that story is that Jay has zero leverage since he's already under contract for the next three years, and has already said he would attend mandatory camps etc.

fontaine
03-16-2009, 08:38 AM
You do realize that Jay's salary for this season not including incentives is around $1.3M don't you?

Simms is making $3M per year.

Oh cool we're playing the "You do realize" game!!

My turn:

You do realize Jay got a huge signing bonus as the 11th overall pick while Simms got a ruptured spleen and a ticket out of Tampa??

Yeah and the best way of getting more money is to demand a trade while you still have three years left and then threaten "Well I'll skip voluntary camps, but I will attend mandatory camps!!" because Bowlen you know is such a tight guy with money!!

:rofl:

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Then why did Jay meet with McDaniels in the first two weeks and talk to him about how McDaniels came to Denver excited because Jay was here etc etc?

No doubt Jay wants the best deal for himself but he's still under contract for the next three years and he was going to get paid anyway. The situation has only gone to hell since McDaniels looked into a trade and since then has said "well we want Jay here as our QB" . . . . "We have to look at every trade possibility etc etc."

You really believe that? This sentence alone is crazy: " he was going to get paid anyway."

Are you sure? There might be a lockout in 2010. He wants his money NOW. He also wants to go somewhere he'll be allowed to "do what he wants" and not have to answer for his mistakes. I think word around town of his boozing is making things more uncomfortable for him as well. I think he really believes he's as good as Tom Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger, when he hasn't sniffed the success they have yet. Bus Cook wants a pay day too, so he's going to stoke this fire to get Cutler out and onto a new team as soon as possible. If Cutler falters and never lives up to the hype then his value will go down. He needs to find a team that's willing to bet he's the next big thing (and for the record, I think he can be if his attitude gets adjusted) and make them pay up. That's what this is about.

Meck77
03-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Oh cool we're playing the "You do realize" game!!

My turn:

You do realize Jay got a huge signing bonus as the 11th overall pick while Simms got a ruptured spleen and a ticket out of Tampa??

Yeah and the best way of getting more money is to demand a trade while you still have three years left and then threaten "Well I'll skip voluntary camps, but I will attend mandatory camps!!" because Bowlen you know is such a tight guy with money!!

:rofl:

So we just need to hug Jay Cutler because none of this is about money eh?

You don't think one other team in this league is willing to give Jay a HUGE new contract?

Don't be a fool.

rugbythug
03-16-2009, 08:46 AM
As an Aside How big are Cutlers Stones.

Bowlen Paid him 17 Million Dollars over the Past 3 seasons yet he Refuses to take his phone calls. Then when asked about it he says "Well I was just down the hall he could have come over and talked to me." WTF is that about. When people write you Giant checks you seek them out and make sure everything is good. You don't blow them off.

Drek
03-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah that's all fine and well, but the problem with that story is that Jay has zero leverage since he's already under contract for the next three years, and has already said he would attend mandatory camps etc.

There's no way Cutler can afford to hold out. He's been paid a lot of money, but he also lives the life of a pro athlete.

Though maybe he should. I'm sure it'd sober him up some about the realities of the situation when his game checks don't show up but Cook still bills him for his percentage.

He'll show, but he wasn't exactly the most mentally focused, under control QB to start with. Do you really want to see him trying to lead a team on Sundays at that point?

lex
03-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Yea, apparently he tried to communicate to Jay in the form of a coach/player meeting.

But, Jay dragged the agent-trash into the office and stunk up the place.

Why would an agent need to attend a meeting between a player/coach to air out differences?

hmmmmm.......

Because the object of your affection isnt trustworthy.

fontaine
03-16-2009, 08:59 AM
You really believe that? This sentence alone is crazy: " he was going to get paid anyway."

Are you sure? There might be a lockout in 2010. He wants his money NOW. He also wants to go somewhere he'll be allowed to "do what he wants" and not have to answer for his mistakes. I think word around town of his boozing is making things more uncomfortable for him as well. I think he really believes he's as good as Tom Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger, when he hasn't sniffed the success they have yet. Bus Cook wants a pay day too, so he's going to stoke this fire to get Cutler out and onto a new team as soon as possible. If Cutler falters and never lives up to the hype then his value will go down. He needs to find a team that's willing to bet he's the next big thing (and for the record, I think he can be if his attitude gets adjusted) and make them pay up. That's what this is about.

Like every other player in the league?

Again this is nothing new. Every high profile QB wants to get paid and be "the" guy.

Except I don't see their HCs entertain trades for them.

If listening to trade proposals etc is so routine then why didn't we ever hear this nonsense before with Shanahan/Cutler? Like it or not, McDaniels ****ed up, first by following the trade talk, then lying about it and Jay is being a douche bag about it now.

vancejohnson82
03-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Because the object of your affection isnt trustworthy.

but Bus Cook is right???

lex
03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Simply put, I think it's a personality conflict. Looking at the "Cutler talks to ESPN" thread, it's pretty clear that Jay went to the meeting wanting to work it out, but was put off by McDaniel's. Now I won't get into whether McD was justified or if Jay is justified in being upset...but the simple matter is both members seemingly want Jay in Denver...so somewhere along the lines is a major communication foul up.

To me, it looks like McD realizes that this situation can be salvaged with both saving face and he's attempting to do that.

To me it looks like McDaniels goes into the meeting on Saturday and repeats the same stuff that he said in the conference call meeting, which also didnt go so well. So he isnt really interested in reconciliation but now he's spinning it so it looks like he's trying.

lex
03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
but Bus Cook is right???

Bus Cook is his agent. So the answer to your question is yes. Im sure Jay considers Bus Cook to be more trustworthy than Josh McDaniels.

lex
03-16-2009, 09:05 AM
As an Aside How big are Cutlers Stones.

Bowlen Paid him 17 Million Dollars over the Past 3 seasons yet he Refuses to take his phone calls. Then when asked about it he says "Well I was just down the hall he could have come over and talked to me." WTF is that about. When people write you Giant checks you seek them out and make sure everything is good. You don't blow them off.

Why? Its not like Bowlen is just writing checks like this to some file clerk. Jay knows that if it wasnt Bowlen, he'd be getting paid by someone else. Its amazing how the same people who have bashed Cutler for not realizing its a business dont see that its a two way street.

fontaine
03-16-2009, 09:05 AM
So we just need to hug Jay Cutler because none of this is about money eh?

You don't think one other team in this league is willing to give Jay a HUGE new contract?

Don't be a fool.

When did I say that? I just created a thread saying how both of these guys are acting like idiots and I'm pissed off at both of them.

Don't be a clown!

8')

montrose
03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm starting to agree with Kahn and Rev that this is largely about Jay getting a new deal.