PDA

View Full Version : Possible QB's we could draft.

Kaylore
03-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Mark Sanchez, USC

http://sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mark-sanchez-6.jpg

Pros: Smart. Supposedly runs a pro offense. Prolific. Has the it factor. Stats were excellent.

Cons: Not so durable or athletic. Is a USC QB so is as much a benefactor of the system as a contributor. Doesn't have great arm strength. Little starting experience.

Josh Freeman
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Player/video/FREENEW250.JPG

Pros: Strong arm. Makes all the throws. Great size. Pro-style offense.

Cons: Stares down his targets. Forces throws. Panics at times. (Sound familiar?)

Nate Davis
http://pbrown16.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/natedavis.jpg

Pros: Accurate, smart, good arm. Makes good decisions. Great pocket awareness.

Cons: Small. Shortness will limit him. Didn't always play elite competition. Will require some grooming.

Possible later round value

Curtis Painter
http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/CPainter_int.jpg

Pros: Strong Mechanics, mobile, accuracy. Great size and fastest release in the draft.

Cons: Inconsistent, poor decision making. Seemed to get into a funk. Leadership ability questionable.

Painter is a guy I was really high on in 2007 and then something happened and he never recovered. I'd love to throw a late round pick at this kid if we haven't found anyone. I think in a few seasons he could be at least a decent back up.

Thoughts?

summerdenver
03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
I have seen 3-4 games of Georgia and I think both Stafford and Moreno will be successful pros in NFL. Staffprd is only 21 if he can go to team that will bring him along slowly he will be very good. He also ran pro style offense in school.

Sanchez to me is big risk as he is only one year starter and he already has a knee injury too. I don't like any of the other guys coming out of this years draft and if i had a choice I would try to get Kevin O Connel or Brian Brohm and groom them. I know Brohm had rough start but he is smart decision maker and IMO will be better bet than other guys in this draft.

JCMElway
03-15-2009, 11:41 PM
If we get a 2010 #1, how about McCoy or Bradford?

BroncoMan4ever
03-15-2009, 11:52 PM
I have seen 3-4 games of Georgia and I think both Stafford and Moreno will be successful pros in NFL. Staffprd is only 21 if he can go to team that will bring him along slowly he will be very good. He also ran pro style offense in school.

Sanchez to me is big risk as he is only one year starter and he already has a knee injury too. I don't like any of the other guys coming out of this years draft and if i had a choice I would try to get Kevin O Connel or Brian Brohm and groom them. I know Brohm had rough start but he is smart decision maker and IMO will be better bet than other guys in this draft.

Brian Brohm is a guy i liked a lot in College. i wouldn't mind trading a conditional 6th rounder that could turn into a 5th to get him as a possibility to be our future QB if Jay is traded

jgraves31
03-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Louisville Cardinal fan here. Watched every game of Brohm's career. I feel he was more a product of our system under Petrino. It was based on quick slant patterns and croosing routes, allowing Brohm to put up big numbers. I don't think he will have similar success in the NFL.

chaz
03-16-2009, 01:44 AM
Kaylore-Freeman panicking is supposed to remind me of who?? I was confused since our QB has been nothing but clutch in the 4th quarter with games on the line...maybe I'm missing something

Killericon
03-16-2009, 02:07 AM
McDaniels seems to do well with USC quarterbacks...If that means anything.

elsid13
03-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Puke at all the those choices.

Might as well draft Stephen McGee from Texas AM. Who is creating a buzz accord to NFL channel with scouts.

elsid13
03-16-2009, 02:57 AM
In the same conference with Colt McCoy, Graham Harrell, Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman and Chase Daniel, Texas A&M quarterback Stephen McGee was overshadowed before last season even began. He was all but forgotten after injuring his throwing shoulder. But Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak knew exactly who McGee was when the two ended up on the same plane flying to Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine. McGee is the highest-rated A&M quarterback since Kubiak was an eighth-round pick of the Denver Broncos in 1983. Reggie McNeal was a sixth-round choice of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2006, but he was drafted as a receiver. "Stephen is a very athletic young man who has some problems this year injury-wise that held him back," Kubiak said. "But he’s got the ability, the athletic ability, the arm, the brain, the competitive nature to play in this league. "A lot of times you’ll see guys who go through rough spots like that in college, and all of a sudden, they’ll blossom when they get to our level. So it wouldn’t surprise me if he was able to do that. … I think he’s got a chance to be a very good player." - Charean Williams, Star-telegram

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2009, 02:59 AM
Louisville Cardinal fan here. Watched every game of Brohm's career. I feel he was more a product of our system under Petrino. It was based on quick slant patterns and croosing routes, allowing Brohm to put up big numbers. I don't think he will have similar success in the NFL.

see i thought that and even in Petrino's system i felt he had good decision making ability, throws a really catchable ball, is accurate, and i think if used in a system like Gruden's in a true West Coast style offense he could be a really good QB to a team. possibly not for our offensive style under McDaniels, but i think he is a good QB and it wouldn't be a bad investment to trade for him and see if he has the tools to become our QBOTF or at the worst he is a serviceable backup.

although this is all contingent on my assuming that Jay is going to be traded within the next few weeks.

Dedhed
03-16-2009, 03:31 AM
I'm not a big fan of any of the QBs in this class. Stafford reminds me of Cutler, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth at the moment. Sanchez actually reminds me a little of Kurt Warner. He's not impressive physically, but watching a few games and some youtube vids that show every pass in a game, he gets the ball out on time and puts it in spots where only his guy can go and get it.

I would have a difficult time stomaching either guy in the 1st round, but Sanchez would be a much better fit IMO for McDaniels offense.

Graham Harrel is a sleeper pick who has shown he can run the spread, and might last well into day 2.

meangene
03-16-2009, 03:51 AM
How about Nate Davis from Ball State? MAC player of the year who surprised by declaring after his junior year. Over 3,000 yards each of the last two years. Great leadership skills. Never even missed a practice. 6'2" 217 lbs. Big arm, good mobility.

meangene
03-16-2009, 04:03 AM
Ball State QB Nate Davis Scouting Report
Height: 6-2, Weight: 217

Strengths: Tremendous arm strength…throws an excellent hard ball…athletically gifted and can move very well in the pocket…has some scrambling ability…has the skills to extend the play…throws from a variety of angles…as his career at Ball State progressed, as did his leadership abilities…just now scratching the surface of his professional potential…has an accurate deep ball and may stretch a defense more than any other QB prospect in this draft class…tons of upside here to like…

Weaknesses: Needs to continue to develop his accuracy, and throw the ball into tighter windows or he will not find success at the next level…playing at Ball State, the level of competition was not very good, so his production should be criticized somewhat…needs to develop more touch on his longer passes, can not gun the football on every toss…also needs to develop a better feel for the game and to get rid of the football on time on precision routes…do not expect a starting NFL QB in 2009…

Overall: The more film you watch on some prospects, the more scouts tend to sour on a prospect, Nate Davis is one of the unique prospects that are an exception to the rule. Nate Davis is going to take time to develop, but a development escalation the likes of 2008 rookie QB Joe Flacco is not out of the realm of possibility. Nate Davis is a strong armed, mentally tough prospect, who brings excellent intangibles to the table, yet a prospect who must develop an NFL level accuracy and is going to take time for refinement. Scouts opinions vary on Davis as much as any other prospect in the 2009 draft class, his name could be called anywhere from the latter portion of the 2nd round until the latter portion of the 3rd round.

Drek
03-16-2009, 04:50 AM
Todd Boeckman, QB, Ohio State.

He's got the size (6'4", 240) that McDaniels wants and a well rounded game. He's also a selfless team leader. He'd be Matt Cassel 2.0.

El Guapo
03-16-2009, 06:03 AM
ack. Cutler > all of those.

Drek
03-16-2009, 06:14 AM
ack. Cutler > all of those.

Well no ****, he's been in the league three years. But he pretty clearly doesn't give to ****s about the Denver Broncos.

El Guapo
03-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Not a good situation. If cutler leaves that will set us back a good seven years.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Not a good situation. If cutler leaves that will set us back a good seven years.

I think there's several other threads on the front page about this, last time I checked. You go whine about the princess in those forums.

Drek
03-16-2009, 06:50 AM

Seven years? We've only had Cutler for three.

It doesn't set the team back one bit. We've already got a solid replacement in Simms and he's actually gotten a team into the playoffs. The defense will improve, McDaniels' coaching will get better than 16th overall points production, and we'll be a better team in '09 than we were in '08 where it matters, in wins and losses.

Cutler's got great talent but the way some act here you'd think we were one of the best offenses in the league. By yardage we were impressive, but yards don't win games. Points do. And at that this offense was thoroughly mediocre.

meangene
03-16-2009, 07:03 AM

I don't really see that. McD is bringing over a system that has been very successful with a 6th round draft pick and a guy that never started a game in college at QB. I trust him with QB's the way I trust Bobby Turner with RB's. He will find a guy that fits the system and the team concept and this TEAM will be better off for it. And, better sooner than people think.

gyldenlove
03-16-2009, 07:12 AM
No successful QB will come out of the 2009 draft.

Stafford has more moodswings than a manic depressive PMSing.

Sanchez has one good year with the easiest team in the world to play for, he needs 2 or 3 years on the pine before he is ready to be very average.

Freeman is Jamarcus Russel without the big contract and with poor accuracy, a recipe for disaster.

Nate Davis is too short, he will be overwhelmed in the NFL by the level of the players and at how little he can see.

Painter has to sit on the bench for 10 to 15 years and then retire, any team he takes snaps for will lose. He is like Brett Favre without the accuracy, power and leadership, which really only leave the questionable decisions.

If you want a young QB get a senior next year, Bradford or Mccoy.

want2bAbronco2
03-16-2009, 07:45 AM
I would rather keep Jay, but if we can get a 1st this year and next I would love to get 1 of the QBs next year. 2-4 QBs coming out that I really like next year.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm not against taking our lumps this year as we fleshing things out and then drafting one next year. I do think if one falls to us, we have to take it. BPA.

meangene
03-16-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm not against taking our lumps this year as we fleshing things out and then drafting one next year. I do think if one falls to us, we have to take it. BPA.

Or, I wouldn't mind giving Brady Quinn a shot in this offense if we make a deal with Cleveland.

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 08:32 AM
If history is the judge, McD will want the guy who has the most accurate arm and the brains to do all the right pre-snap reads. Which one of these guys does that description fit the best? I would have to go with Sanchez.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 08:36 AM
No successful QB will come out of the 2009 draft.

That's a pretty bold statement, Gyldenlove. I guess you would have to define Successful. I went back and looked at past drafts and it was hard to find a class that didn't have at least one QB drafted that didn't enjoy some amount of success.

gyldenlove
03-16-2009, 08:57 AM
That's a pretty bold statement, Gyldenlove. I guess you would have to define Successful. I went back and looked at past drafts and it was hard to find a class that didn't have at least one QB drafted that didn't enjoy some amount of success.

I painted myself into a pretty tight spot here, and I don't want to weaken my stance by giving some limp wristed definition of successful.

So, I will say for a QB to be successful he has to either, for his career:

1. Take a bad team to the playoffs.
2. Be a 5 year starter with a team that has at least 2 seasons of .500 or better.
3. Have at least 2 pro bowl appearances.
4. Win an MVP.
5. Win an OPOY.
6. Set a record for most passing yards or touch downs.

If he does just one of those things I will call it succesful. So from the 2008 class Matt Ryan is succesful already (on account of number 1). Cutler isn't succesful yet, but is pretty close.

lex
03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
If McDaniels is so good that he can run off a first round talent like Cutler, then he should be forced to try to work with a lower round talent at QB. Otherwise, it would be all kind of dumb to run off a QB like Cutler only to try to replace him with a 1st round pick. Dumb.

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
If McDaniels is so good that he can run off a first round talent like Cutler, then he should be forced to try to work with a lower round talent at QB. Otherwise, it would be all kind of dumb to run off a QB like Cutler only to try to replace him with a 1st round pick. Dumb.

Amazing. You actually still think McD is "running off" Cutler? Thick as a brick. There's two kinds of QBs: Those who want to cooperate, and those who don't. If you've got a type one, you want to get rid of him and replace him with a type two. Hopefully, the best you can find.

Kaylore
03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
If McDaniels is so good that he can run off a first round talent like Cutler, then he should be forced to try to work with a lower round talent at QB.
He already did that.

lex
03-16-2009, 09:58 AM
He already did that.

And Im saying let him try to do it again. Of course, one would hope it doesnt take him 4 years of learning the system. But I agree. Let him try it again so we can use our draft picks on something else.

lex
03-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Amazing. You actually still think McD is "running off" Cutler? Thick as a brick. There's two kinds of QBs: Those who want to cooperate, and those who don't. If you've got a type one, you want to get rid of him and replace him with a type two. Hopefully, the best you can find.

Your willingness to oversimplify in an effort to posture a feeble point is laughable.

BroncoBuff
03-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Wow ... "you're either with us or against us," huh?

Obviously we disagree ... it's trust thing, not a trade thing. Josh basically admitted today that he wanted Cassel ... whereas before, he just said "we listened to offers and then said no." So Josh is back-pedalling now. And back-pedalling = dishonesty, or at least not full discloseure. Jay deserves honesty. Hell, Nate freaking Webster deserves honesty.

You gotta give me another point here Roh ... you disagreed with me a week or two ago when I criticized Xanders for being impotent, and Josh for having too much power. You said Xanders was just keeping quiet, "being discrete." But now I think it's pretty clear Josh has all the power - full Shanahan Power. Imo that's a big part of these problems here ... he's in over his head. He's on a power trip, maybe even resents "big money" type QBs, he's a coaches' son after all.

What we do know is, a) Josh has no front office experience, and b) Josh is 100% in charge here. And that's showing itself to be a bad combination.
/

Rohirrim
03-16-2009, 12:05 PM
"With us or against us?" Like I said, I'm not getting in the drama boat. It's not clear that Josh has all the power. He does seem to be the spokesman for the franchise, just as Shanahan was before him. I'm not going to run off making a bunch of assumptions about the extent of his power. Early on in this whole mess McD appears to have made a mistake. Since then, it appears he has tried to correct that mistake. At this point, I don't see the Broncos pushing Cutler away. I see the exact opposite. They are trying to bring him to the table. Cutler has refused any discussion unless his agent is present. Cutler has now left Denver and given the Broncos what amounts to an ultimatum: Trade me. Again and again, the Broncos have reiterated that they don't want to trade Jay, they want him as the QB of the Broncos for the future, and they want him to come in and talk. The owner of the franchise has made only one public statement about this whole mess; That he would prefer Jay come in and talk. Jay won't take his phone calls. How that can be misconstrued to mean the Broncos are pushing Jay out is beyond me.

My discussions about QBs in this thread is confined to the context of this thread. Kaylore is putting up options. If we come to the last resort and are forced to trade Jay, who should we draft? Frankly, I would prefer Jay come in and play for the Broncos. I'm convinced that at this point, his agent has other plans. Maybe that was the game the whole time. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that those who felt the strongest against the firing of Shanahan are now willing to disembowel McDaniels before camp even opens over what pretty clearly appears to be a circus manipulated by an agent who is famous for these exact kind of games. So if it's sides you want, I'm taking the side of the franchise, like I have for thirty years.

socalorado
03-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Sanchez has a strong arm. But hes light years from being NFL ready.

As for a QB i think will make a solid pro, THE ULTRA DARKHORSE. This guys bio is great! He has alot to prove.

http://walterfootball.com/college/SamHoustonState_logo.gif Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Combine 40 Time: 4.82.
Hand Size: 9.
Projected Round (2009): 5.
12/20/08: Led Sam Houston State with 3,355 yards, 27 touchdowns and 13 picks.

10/12/08: Through three games: 62-of-97, 878 yards. Ten touchdowns, three interceptions, 9.1 YPA.

3/26/08: Remember when this guy looked pretty impressive as a red-shirt freshman in Oklahoma? Well, after being dismissed for taking money from boosters and missing the entire 2006 season, Rhett Bomar resurfaced and compiled 2,209 yards and 10 touchdowns in nine starts in 2007.

So hes no saint. He has a strong arm, can make all the throws and is mobile. I see this kid being a guy who ends up making alot of teams pay for not taking him. He has something more to prove.

elsid13
03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KxsFEjmr-wA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KxsFEjmr-wA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

this is why I like McGee, he has talent and it shows. He needs coaching but he might be the star out of this draft.

mattob14
03-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm not big on any of the top QB's this year, and I'm really not sure that the big-arm QB's (who will try to fit the ball into tight spots) are really what McD wants anyway. I could guys like McGee, Davis, or Bomar getting a look. Later in the draft, Boeckman seems to fit the profile, as does Painter. If Cutler is traded for picks, I'd guess that those picks would be used primarily on D, and possibly a RB or WR, with one of the above QB's mixed in a little later in the draft. They'll compete with Simms, most likely sitting on the bench for at least 2009.

TheChamp24
03-16-2009, 05:52 PM

As for a QB i think will make a solid pro, THE ULTRA DARKHORSE. This guys bio is great! He has alot to prove.

http://walterfootball.com/college/SamHoustonState_logo.gif Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State

10/12/08: Through three games: 62-of-97, 878 yards. Ten touchdowns, three interceptions, 9.1 YPA.

3/26/08: Remember when this guy looked pretty impressive as a red-shirt freshman in Oklahoma? Well, after being dismissed for taking money from boosters and missing the entire 2006 season, Rhett Bomar resurfaced and compiled 2,209 yards and 10 touchdowns in nine starts in 2007.

So hes no saint. He has a strong arm, can make all the throws and is mobile. I see this kid being a guy who ends up making alot of teams pay for not taking him. He has something more to prove.

Bomar sucks, I watched him at OU and never was impressed. He can't make throws, he is inaccurate but has a decent arm. He also is too mobile, he likes to run.

DrFate
03-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Forget those guys

Clayton talked about it today. If you are absolutely convinced that Cutler is a bum or whatever, send Cutler to Cleveland for Quinn and a pick. I never bought Quinn as a great pro prospect, but he was successful in 'the system' at ND.

My point if you drink the McSparky Kook Aid that the system is more important than the pieces, get Quinn (who is younger than Cutler and knows the NE system from Weiss) and a pick.

BroncoBuff
03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
My point if you drink the McSparky Kook Aid that the system is more important than the pieces, get Quinn (who is younger than Cutler and knows the NE system from Weiss) and a pick.

... and Shaun Rogers. Rogers and Mangini are like oil and water, they're looking to move him somewhere, so I think we can pull Rogers in that deal. A Pro-Bowl 3-4 NT ... we could use that.

Broncos24
03-16-2009, 07:35 PM
... and Shaun Rogers. Rogers and Mangini are like oil and water, they're looking to move him somewhere, so I think we can pull Rogers in that deal. A Pro-Bowl 3-4 NT ... we could use that.

Cutler and Sheffler for Quinn, Shaun Rogers and Braylon Edwards.

socalorado
03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Bomar sucks, I watched him at OU and never was impressed. He can't make throws, he is inaccurate but has a decent arm. He also is too mobile, he likes to run.

Em kay, so that about wraps that up.

orinjkrush
03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
just wish we could find a Big Ben #2.

Tombstone RJ
03-16-2009, 08:46 PM
The Broncos should draft a late round QB regardless of who they get for Cutler. There's always that chance that you can find a Brady on the second day.

Denver Crush
03-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Forget those guys

Clayton talked about it today. If you are absolutely convinced that Cutler is a bum or whatever, send Cutler to Cleveland for Quinn and a pick. I never bought Quinn as a great pro prospect, but he was successful in 'the system' at ND.

As far as getting a QB to replace Jay, this would be the route I would take. Quinn looked pretty good most the time when he played last year from what little bit I saw.

elsid13
03-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Beside McGee the other QB that could be real good in McDick's inflexable system is Willie Tuitama (AZ)

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/
Willie Tuitama (6-2 3/8, 234) ran a 5.01 twice in the 40, had a 26-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot, 4-inch broad jump, a 4.63 short shuttle, a 7.25 three-cone drill and threw the ball very well in position drills.

gyldenlove
03-17-2009, 05:31 PM
The Broncos should draft a late round QB regardless of who they get for Cutler. There's always that chance that you can find a Brady on the second day.

Those odds are insignificant. We may as well sign an undrafted quarterback, we could get the next Kurt Warner.

oubronco
03-17-2009, 06:29 PM

I remember him he had a good arm and made good decisions for a red shirt freshman but what about the QB from Tulsa I can't remember his name but he was pretty damn good for them last year

oubronco
03-17-2009, 07:35 PM
<TABLE class=dataTbl cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=dataTrHdr2 align=right><TD align=left>Tulsa Golden Hurricane

NAME
</TD><TD>

CMP
</TD><TD>

ATT
</TD><TD>

YDS
</TD><TD>

CMP%
</TD><TD>

YDS/A
</TD><TD>

TD
</TD><TD>

INT
</TD><TD>

RAT
</TD></TR><TR class=dataTrHigh onmouseover="this.className='dataTrHigh';" onmouseout="this.className='dataTr';" align=right><TD align=left>David Johnson</TD><TD>258</TD><TD>400</TD><TD>4059</TD><TD>64.5</TD><TD>10.1</TD><TD>46</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>178.7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kaylore
03-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Not to toot my own horn, but the Broncos brought Painter in for a workout...

...Just sayin'. ;D

gyldenlove
03-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Not to toot my own horn, but the Broncos brought Painter in for a workout...

...Just sayin'. ;D

You just got married, you better get used to tooting your own horn Hilarious!

Kaylore
03-18-2009, 09:43 AM
You just got married, you better get used to tooting your own horn Hilarious!

Ha!

ELEVATION
03-20-2009, 03:29 AM
keep your eyes out drew wiley from buffalo.......

i highly doubt we draft a qb in the first 2 rds if cutler is traded. MCD is a patriot weeny....when is the last time belicheck drafted a QB early? MCD feels about qb's the way shanny did about RB's....we should try for ratliff from the jets in a cutler trade if it goes down....he was a beastly spread Qb from utah who went undrafted because New england was the only team running a similar offense....

jets 17th pick/4th rd pick/2010 first rd pick/brett ratliff....lol

Dedhed
03-21-2009, 03:23 AM
keep your eyes out drew wiley from buffalo.......

i highly doubt we draft a qb in the first 2 rds if cutler is traded. MCD is a patriot weeny....when is the last time belicheck drafted a QB early? MCD feels about qb's the way shanny did about RB's....we should try for ratliff from the jets in a cutler trade if it goes down....he was a beastly spread Qb from utah who went undrafted because New england was the only team running a similar offense....

jets 17th pick/4th rd pick/2010 first rd pick/brett ratliff....lol

When was the last time any team with a franchise QB in their prime drafted a QB early?

While I agree we won't draft a QB high, your reasoning is obtuse at best.

Unless we get McDaniels's guy in trade, I don't think the Broncos would hesitate to take a guy who they really like, regardless of whether it's in the 1st or 5th round.

ELEVATION
03-22-2009, 10:39 AM
When was the last time any team with a franchise QB in their prime drafted a QB early?

While I agree we won't draft a QB high, your reasoning is obtuse at best.

Unless we get McDaniels's guy in trade, I don't think the Broncos would hesitate to take a guy who they really like, regardless of whether it's in the 1st or 5th round.

actually my reasoning wasnt fully explained...., bledsoe was considered a franchise Qb.... when was brady drafted???? after seeing this cassel mess my belief is that MCD feels he can get a Qb and mold him regardless of the round...

perhaps i should have specified that point more, and i apologize for that. but i would wager that we dont draft a Qb in the first 2 or 3 rds even if cutler is gone and we didnt get a starter in return.

Im telling ya from what i can tell MCD believes he can turn any Qb into gold in his offense

elsid13
03-22-2009, 11:20 AM
actually my reasoning wasnt fully explained...., bledsoe was considered a franchise Qb.... when was brady drafted???? after seeing this cassel mess my belief is that MCD feels he can get a Qb and mold him regardless of the round...

perhaps i should have specified that point more, and i apologize for that. but i would wager that we dont draft a Qb in the first 2 or 3 rds even if cutler is gone and we didnt get a starter in return.

Im telling ya from what i can tell MCD believes he can turn any Qb into gold in his offense

McDaniels wasn't around when Brady was drafted and no say in the decision to pick Cassell. Let not make McDaniels as the genius in the personnel department

Northman
03-22-2009, 11:34 AM
It doesn't set the team back one bit. We've already got a solid replacement in Simms and he's actually gotten a team into the playoffs. The defense will improve, McDaniels' coaching will get better than 16th overall points production, and we'll be a better team in '09 than we were in '08 where it matters, in wins and losses.

Solid at QB? Emm, no. I see you have a Longhorn for an avatar so i hope this is just your UT homerism seeping through. Although i am highly curious to see what Simms can do with this squad i wouldnt say we are solid. Simms has had health issues and has proved just about as much as Cutler has at this point. Also, McD has done nothing to prove that this team will be better than last year except come in with the "promise" to do better. For you to say that we would be ok without Cutler and then turn around and say we are already better because of McD and another umproven QB is hypocritical at best.

cmhargrove
03-22-2009, 01:46 PM
<TABLE class=dataTbl cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=dataTrHdr2 align=right><TD align=left>Tulsa Golden Hurricane

NAME
</TD><TD>

CMP
</TD><TD>

ATT
</TD><TD>

YDS
</TD><TD>

CMP%
</TD><TD>

YDS/A
</TD><TD>

TD
</TD><TD>

INT
</TD><TD>

RAT
</TD></TR><TR class=dataTrHigh onmouseover="this.className='dataTrHigh';" onmouseout="this.className='dataTr';" align=right><TD align=left>David Johnson</TD><TD>258</TD><TD>400</TD><TD>4059</TD><TD>64.5</TD><TD>10.1</TD><TD>46</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>178.7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Woot! Woot!

As a "Golden Hurricane" alum, I have to point out that David Johnson's Tulsa team beat the crap out of Nate Davis' Ball State team in the GMAC Bowl this year.

I like both guys, but both have plenty of weaknesses as well. Either could develop given a couple years as a backup, but I wouldn't say either could play as well as even Hackney could this year. Both these guys need some time and some great coaching to develop into NFL Qb's.

However, having watched plenty of Tulsa football, I would have to say you compare David Johnson with Chase Daniels from Mizzou. They can both kill you with their arm or feet, and both can run an all out pro-style offense.

However, Chase Daniels just seems to have "it" in my book. If he has some time to develop, he could be a Doug Flutie kind of player. Maybe not an all around pro's-pro, but a team leader that can rally the troops and will find ways to win. Daniels would be worth a late round development pick in my book.

Drek
03-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Solid at QB? Emm, no. I see you have a Longhorn for an avatar so i hope this is just your UT homerism seeping through. Although i am highly curious to see what Simms can do with this squad i wouldnt say we are solid. Simms has had health issues and has proved just about as much as Cutler has at this point. Also, McD has done nothing to prove that this team will be better than last year except come in with the "promise" to do better. For you to say that we would be ok without Cutler and then turn around and say we are already better because of McD and another umproven QB is hypocritical at best.

How is it hypocritical?

I wasn't saying that with Cutler we were doomed to suck next year. I think with Cutler we'd be even better than we would be with Simms.

But Simms is a solid game manager who can make pretty much any throw McDaniels will ask him to make, and he'll have the benefit of better receiving weapons than he's ever had before and much better protection than he's ever had before.

Also, I do think that we're going to be a better offense off the bat just for the play calling upgrade that McDaniels gives us over Bates, especially at calling the right plays to finish drives off and get touchdowns, not field goals or turnovers, i.e. something better than the 16th best scoring offense in the league.

On defense we'll be improved simply because 1. you can't get much worse and 2. we now finally have a legitimate defensive coaching staff with a system in place that talent can be fitted into. Of course adding two safeties who each are twice as good as our best safety from last year is a help, as is a corner who isn't nearly the risk taker opposite Champ that Bly was. We still have a lot of questions in the front seven, but I don't think we'll be a bottom 3 defense again next year.

Thats improvement across the board as far as I can see it. We'd be even better if Cutler stays on board but it isn't going to ruin any possible strides this team could've made in '09.

gyldenlove
03-22-2009, 08:38 PM
How is it hypocritical?

I wasn't saying that with Cutler we were doomed to suck next year. I think with Cutler we'd be even better than we would be with Simms.

But Simms is a solid game manager who can make pretty much any throw McDaniels will ask him to make, and he'll have the benefit of better receiving weapons than he's ever had before and much better protection than he's ever had before.

Also, I do think that we're going to be a better offense off the bat just for the play calling upgrade that McDaniels gives us over Bates, especially at calling the right plays to finish drives off and get touchdowns, not field goals or turnovers, i.e. something better than the 16th best scoring offense in the league.

On defense we'll be improved simply because 1. you can't get much worse and 2. we now finally have a legitimate defensive coaching staff with a system in place that talent can be fitted into. Of course adding two safeties who each are twice as good as our best safety from last year is a help, as is a corner who isn't nearly the risk taker opposite Champ that Bly was. We still have a lot of questions in the front seven, but I don't think we'll be a bottom 3 defense again next year.

Thats improvement across the board as far as I can see it. We'd be even better if Cutler stays on board but it isn't going to ruin any possible strides this team could've made in '09.

The question is, will Mcdaniels run the Cassel version of his offense where he forsakes all passes longer than 15 yards because of his noodle armed game manager can't handle it, or will it be the Brady version that uses the short passes to open up the deep ball to a WR in single coverage.

If we play Simms it will be the first, that generates entirely average offensive numbers and results. If we play Cutler, it will be the second that Tom Brady took to new heights in his record setting 2007.

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 12:09 AM
McDaniels wasn't around when Brady was drafted and no say in the decision to pick Cassell. Let not make McDaniels as the genius in the personnel department

how hard is it to figre out im talking about the patriot way.....i didnt say anything about it being MCD decision to draft brady or cassel

what i implied is that he thinks he can turn any Qb to gold...

really how hard is that to understand.......

I certainly didnt make MCD sound like a genius...in fact i made him sound like a fool thinking he can turn any Qb into gold like shanny felt with Rb's.....

lex
03-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Woot! Woot!

As a "Golden Hurricane" alum, I have to point out that David Johnson's Tulsa team beat the crap out of Nate Davis' Ball State team in the GMAC Bowl this year.

I like both guys, but both have plenty of weaknesses as well. Either could develop given a couple years as a backup, but I wouldn't say either could play as well as even Hackney could this year. Both these guys need some time and some great coaching to develop into NFL Qb's.

However, having watched plenty of Tulsa football, I would have to say you compare David Johnson with Chase Daniels from Mizzou. They can both kill you with their arm or feet, and both can run an all out pro-style offense.

However, Chase Daniels just seems to have "it" in my book. If he has some time to develop, he could be a Doug Flutie kind of player. Maybe not an all around pro's-pro, but a team leader that can rally the troops and will find ways to win. Daniels would be worth a late round development pick in my book.

Yeah, well. Its time for the the Wunderkind to live up to his own ego and make it work.