PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen didn't show up for the meeting?

Taco John
03-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't get this. Why in the world wouldn't Pat be there if for no other reason than to observe the situation? I would have thought that at the very least, he'd have gone into this meeting in which the future of his franchise hangs in the balance, and at least observe it. But past that, I would think that he would have gone in there with an absolute plan to go in there, mediate, and come out with everyone all winners.

I can't understand why he'd take an arms length approach to this volitile situation. Anyone?

SoCalBronco
03-15-2009, 10:09 PM
He needs to sell. He really needs to sell. That's indefensible, even if Jay didn't return his calls. It's the biggest meeting of the decade, Pat. It's the biggest meeting of the decade. Good Lord.

lex
Hes cowtowing to his coach...because he's spineless.

ol number 7
I don't get this. Why in the world wouldn't Pat be there if for no other reason than to observe the situation? I would have thought that at the very least, he'd have gone into this meeting in which the future of his franchise hangs in the balance, and at least observe it. But past that, I would think that he would have gone in there with an absolute plan to go in there, mediate, and come out with everyone all winners.

I can't understand why he'd take an arms length approach to this volitile situation. Anyone?

Indeed a head scratcher. Since he is there "everyday"

BroncoBuff
03-15-2009, 10:11 PM
He's drunk, that's why.

Josh is drunk with power .... and Pat is just plain drunk.

SouthStndJunkie
03-15-2009, 10:12 PM
That is our leader....missing one of the most important meetings in franchise history.

Why?

Was he in the process of setting a career high score in Elf Bowling?

Waiting for an eBay auction to end for some snake skin boots to give Jake as a gift?

What could be more important than being at this meeting?

Leadership starts at the top.

summerdenver
03-15-2009, 10:12 PM
It is probably a statement that he is fully behind Jay Mac and Xanders.

PaintballCLE
03-15-2009, 10:13 PM

He was sitting in his office still trying to figure out why he had a meeting with plummer that week.........and he ran out of alcohol and by the time he got some more (because who likes meing at a important meeting sober) the 20 minute meeting was already over.

arghemtee
03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
We can all agree that he is a coward.

Killericon
03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
He's drunk, that's why.

Josh is drunk with power .... and Pat is just plain drunk.

You guys are off your ****ing rockers with this drunk business.

Maybe he saw that the situation was getting out of hand, and he thought that the two would only be comfortable talking to one another, and therefore have a legit shot at clearing the air, WITHOUT their Boss on the line. maybe he thought that if it was JUST the two of them, they'd be able to speak frankly with one another and sort their **** out.

Taco John
It is probably a statement that he is fully behind Jay Mac and Xanders.

ROFL!

SoCalBronco
You know what...**** it. I'm GLAD Pat didn't show because it is revealing, it tells us something we didn't know. It tells us he doesn't care that we're all suffering. He doesn't even care about this team anywhere near as much as he did. You won't even show up for this franchise altering meeting, it shows you dont even give a **** anymore.

Fine, Bowlen...don't care. It's better that way. If you think its more important getting piss drunk and being off somewhere xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx more power to you. But it reveals to us what you really are and how little you are committed to fixing things. If you don't care, that tells me all I need to know.

24champ
03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
He needs to sell. He really needs to sell. That's indefensible, even if Jay didn't return his calls. It's the biggest meeting of the decade, Pat. It's the biggest meeting of the decade. Good Lord.

I have a buyer...Uncle Phil the Gazillionaire.

http://www.bloombiz.ro/assets/articole/2008/11/philippe.jpg

Killericon
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
You know what...**** it. I'm GLAD Pat didn't show because it is revealing, it tells us something we didn't know. It tells us he doesn't care that we're all suffering. He doesn't even care about this team anywhere near as much as he did. You won't even show up for this franchise altering meeting, it shows you dont even give a **** anymore.

Fine, Bowlen...don't care. It's better that way. If you think its more important getting piss drunk and being off somewhere xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, more power to you. But it reveals to us what you really are and how little you are committed to fixing things. If you don't care, that tells me all I need to know.

You're smarter than think that Bowlen couldn't be bothered. He had a reason, man. If it's a stupid reason, then call him stupid, but saying that he doesn't care about the Broncos or their fans? That's absurd.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
We can all agree that he is a coward.

No, we don't all agree that he's a coward. No one knows why he wasn't there, and this meeting wasn't near as important as the one he had with Shanny when he fired him.

SoCalBronco
03-15-2009, 10:17 PM
You're smarter than think that Bowlen couldn't be bothered. He had a reason, man. If it's a stupid reason, then call him stupid, but saying that he doesn't care about the Broncos or their fans? That's absurd.

There is no possible logical reason for him not to be there. His WHOLE investment (I'm not talking Jay, I'm talking the team) is on the line. It's mind blowing. It's indefensible. I don't even know what to call it.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
No, we don't all agree that he's a coward. No one knows why he wasn't there, and this meeting wasn't near as important as the one he had with Shanny when he fired him.

I bet this meeting lasted longer than 5 minutes...

I disagree. I think this meeting was much more important. The Shanny meeting wasn't too important. It was essentially "k, bye!" This meeting needed to be successful.

arghemtee
03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
I have an idea.

Let's buy the team. The city of Denver can own the Broncos!

SonOfLe-loLang
03-15-2009, 10:21 PM
There is no possible logical reason for him not to be there. His WHOLE investment (I'm not talking Jay, I'm talking the team) is on the line. It's mind blowing. It's indefensible. I don't even know what to call it.

on THIS we agree

OBF1
03-15-2009, 10:22 PM
If you worked for Microsoft and had a meeting with your supervisor, Would you expect Bill Gates to sit in as well?

This show that either Mr Bowlen stands 100% behind his new coach or that he already has a great draft day deal on the table already.

Killericon
03-15-2009, 10:23 PM

Is it really completely out of the question to suggest he thought the presence of the owner of the team would prevent them from speaking honestly with one another, thereby preventing any real headway to be made? Maybe he thought that this was a problem best solved between two men, and not with the guy that signs both of their paychecks listening in.

Or maybe he gave McDaniels his full support, and told Cutler that.

I'm not saying these are good reasons, I'm saying they're reasons. To say that he couldn't be bothered or was too drunk to listen in is...Well...****ing insane.

SouthStndJunkie
03-15-2009, 10:25 PM
If you worked for Microsoft and had a meeting with your supervisor, Would you expect Bill Gates to sit in as well?

This show that either Mr Bowlen stands 100% behind his new coach or that he already has a great draft day deal on the table already.

If it were a meeting vital to the success of the company, I certainly would expect him to sit in on the meeting.

This was not the lead developer of MS Outlook meeting with his boss about a new product roll out.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-15-2009, 10:25 PM

So Jay Cutler is just a supervisor? He was our franchise QB. If Paul Allen told Bill Gates to **** himself, he'd probably show up to the meeting.

arghemtee
03-15-2009, 10:27 PM

If Steve Ballmer was acting immature and irresponsible and on the verge of firing Microsoft's best employee, an employee that could make billions for Microsoft, than yes. I suspect Bill Gates would be in the room.

Paladin
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Jeezus! Pat wasn't there because it was supposed to be a meeting between McD and Cutler. Cutler wanted his agent to be there, so McD had (I think Ellis) there. That's it. Bowlen wanted them to work it out. If he was there, it would have changed the whole reason for the meeting.

People around here simply disengage their freaking brains most of the time. Read the account of the meeting given by McDaniels to ESPN or to the CBS4 crew. This site has mostly nuts blowing hot air outta their arses, developing pet conspiracy theories.

I am on the market for two season tickets at face value, and I would pay a small premium for the priority rights to future tickets..... I will just check the PM box. There is nothing else to see here other than the Draft forum.

So long.......

SureShot
03-15-2009, 10:31 PM

I think it maybe the most important meeting since pitching the job to Shanny.

lex
03-15-2009, 10:34 PM

Its not absurd. Bowlen picked the coach that only 6% of the fanbase wanted. Now, after this debacle, 70% of the people are backing Cutler and Bowlen is backing his coach. Bowlen is totally going against the grain on this one along with going back on his word in a couple of instances.

USMCBladerunner
03-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure what it means, but I suspect that it does validate McDaniel's assertion that from the team's perspective, things were not that acrimonious. He may simply have underestimated Cutler's position (whether it's how incredible butthurt he is about this, or how shrewd he a Bus are being about getting a new contract).

Killericon
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Its not absurd. Bowlen picked the coach that only 6% of the fanbase wanted. Now, after this debacle, 70% of the people are backing Cutler and Bowlen is backing his coach. Bowlen is totally going against the grain on this one along with going back on his word in a couple of instances.

Saying he doesn't care about his fans and saying he doesn't listen to his fans and act accordingly are two different things.

lex
03-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Saying he doesn't care about his fans and saying he doesn't listen to his fans, and act accordingly are two different things.

Considering how ugly this could get, its irresponsible for Pat to not intervene at some point. The fact that Pat hasnt intervened is a clear sign that he is has taken the fanbase for granted.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM

If the fate of the company hangs in the balance during that meeting, then yes, I'd think that the most senior principal of the organization should be there to at the very least observe it.

GreatBronco16
03-15-2009, 10:44 PM
If the fate of the company hangs in the balance during that meeting, then yes, I'd think that the most senior principal of the organization should be there to at the very least observe it.

So now the fate of the Broncos Org hangs on Jay Cutler?

Wow, some of you really need to get out more.

summerdenver
03-15-2009, 10:45 PM

What is take on this TJ?

OBF1
03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
OMG, do you all really think Jay Cutler is the next coming of Elway and bound for greatness? The kid is not tough enough in the head to be anywhere close.

Maybe ownership sees Jay as a player that had a great offensive line, top tier WR's and TE's and still made bonehead throw after bonehead throw.

The day the inmates run the team is the day we officially become the Mile High version of the raiders.

cabronco
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Bowlen you are an idiot from the word go. You & McD deserve each other, but it appears you dont want to be in the same room with him either. What a Joke, or I should say nightmare !

Sassy
03-15-2009, 10:48 PM
As for ignoring phone calls from McDaniels and Bowlen, Cutler said, "Josh and I have exchanged text messages. We had a conference call. And if Pat wanted to speak to me, why didn't he come to the meeting on Saturday?

Popps
03-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Jeezus! Pat wasn't there because it was supposed to be a meeting between McD and Cutler. Cutler wanted his agent to be there, so McD had (I think Ellis) there. That's it. Bowlen wanted them to work it out. If he was there, it would have changed the whole reason for the meeting..

Exactly.

But, Taco needs to find a drama to try to support his case.

Funny, a few weeks ago... Bowlen was a stupid drunk because he was TOO involved. Now, he's not involved enough? Guess it just depends on the day, huh?

Jay Cutler refused a simple one-on-one meeting with his head coach, who wanted to bring in back into the organization.

Instead, Jay brought this Bus Cook piece of trash with him. Gosh, I wonder why that might have been?

SureShot
03-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Exactly.

Funny, a few weeks ago... Bowlen was a stupid drunk because he was TOO involved. Now, he's not involved enough? Guess it just depends on the day, huh?

Jay Cutler refused a simple one-on-one meeting with his head coach, who wanted to bring in back into the organization.

Instead, Jay brought this Bus Cook piece of trash with him. Gosh, I wonder why that might have been?

Every union I have been has a representive present for the employee in a meeting like this.

Regardless this meeting should have been run by Pat, but he is not much of a leader even though he proclaimed that he was taking back his team.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 11:02 PM

I don't think I need to find any drama to support my case that this situation is FUBAR. That's self evident. I'm just curious why Bowlen wouldn't make himself part of the most important meeting this franchise has seen since he put on a disguise and snuck into a hotel to meet with Shanahan.

Popps
03-15-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't think I need to find any drama to support my case that this situation is FUBAR. That's self evident. I'm just curious why Bowlen wouldn't make himself part of the most important meeting this franchise has seen since he put on a disguise and snuck into a hotel to meet with Shanahan.

Taco, this was supposed to be a player/coach meeting.

Cutler dragged a scumbag agent with a rep of ****ing up everything he touches in there.
There's your drama, if you want it. Bowlen likely chose to let the player/coach meet in private to work out the issues on their own.

Taco, how many bar-fights break out when there are just two guys in a bar?

If Cutler wanted to stay in Denver, he would have shown up for that meeting one-on-one with McDaniels and aired out their differences. But, he dragged the trash with him, and not surprisingly, here we are.

Doesn't matter. Cutler wanted out of here, or wanted a huge guaranteed payday. You have to be utterly blind not to see it at this point.

GreatBronco16
03-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Doesn't matter. Cutler wanted out of here, or wanted a huge guaranteed payday. You have to be utterly blind not to see it at this point.

Some people just want to be blind. That's fine, cause when the Broncos make the playoffs this year, they will act like everything is ok.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Some people just want to be blind. That's fine, cause when the Broncos make the playoffs this year, they will act like everything is ok.

Damn straight. If the Broncos make the playoffs this year, Josh McDaniels will be THE MAN.

Dagmar
03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Jay Cutler is a millionaire who was lucky to play for the Broncos. The highlight of his career will forever be going for 2 and winning against SD. Have fun in Cleveland/Detroit.

SureShot
03-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Jay Cutler is a millionaire who was lucky to play for the Broncos. The highlight of his career will forever be going for 2 and winning against SD. Have fun in Cleveland/Detroit.

Way to stay with the topic of the thread.

sisterhellfyre
03-16-2009, 12:24 AM
So long.......

FWIW, I'm with you, Paladin. I still lurk the WRP forum every now & again, but I'm done with the ongoing hysteria on this section of the board. At least until the draft, possibly until training camp opens. Not that anyone will miss me, but what the hell. It's better for my own peace of mind.

I've been a Bronco fan for a long time and I will be for a long time to come. I'll be watching with curiosity and interest when training camp opens, and when the 2009 Broncos hit the field for preseason games.

If Jay's not there, it's just too bad. I've seen the Bronco brass make mistakes before. Matt Robinson and Norris Weese come to mind right off. So does Bobby Humphrey, for that matter: he had one good year, wanted the big payday, ended up traded, and did what after that...? (The answer is "nada.") Mistakes happen to even the best-run teams. Trading Jay (if necessary) might work out well, or it may prove to be a mistake. I assume that whatever McDaniels, Xander and Bowlen are doing now, they're doing it with the best of intentions in a sincere effort to improve the team. Plans don't always work out. That's to be expected.

I might take a look every now and again at Jay's stats in whatever city he lands, but it won't matter all that much to me. Bye, Jay, and don't let the door hit you on the way out. (Bruising can be more serious for diabetics.)

Bye y'all.

Regards,
m.

fdf
03-16-2009, 12:32 AM

Fine, Bowlen...don't care. It's better that way. If you think its more important getting piss drunk and being off somewhere xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx more power to you. But it reveals to us what you really are and how little you are committed to fixing things. If you don't care, that tells me all I need to know.

OHHHHH NOOOO. The owner doesn't care about SoCalBronco.

Bronco Yoda
03-16-2009, 01:14 AM
For right or wrong, it's obvious that Bowlen wanted things worked out based on McD and Jay-C meeting eye to eye not Bowlen writing a bunch of zero's down for Bus & Jay-C to cash.

wolf754life
03-16-2009, 01:17 AM

thems fightin words mr

Dexter
03-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Taco, this was supposed to be a player/coach meeting.

Cutler dragged a scumbag agent with a rep of ****ing up everything he touches in there.
There's your drama, if you want it. Bowlen likely chose to let the player/coach meet in private to work out the issues on their own.

Taco, how many bar-fights break out when there are just two guys in a bar?

If Cutler wanted to stay in Denver, he would have shown up for that meeting one-on-one with McDaniels and aired out their differences. But, he dragged the trash with him, and not surprisingly, here we are.

It should have been a Player-Coach-Owner Meeting.

**** invite whoever you want, it doesn't take away from the fact Bowlen should have been there.

I'm not going to grill Bowlen like some on here because he has done a lot for this City/Team, but not showing up at a meeting like this worries me greatly.

Popps
03-16-2009, 01:30 AM
It should have been a Player-Coach-Owner Meeting.

**** invite whoever you want, it doesn't take away from the fact Bowlen should have been there.

I'm not going to grill Bowlen like some on here because he has done a lot for this City/Team, but not showing up at a meeting like this worries me greatly.

Again, if the meeting was supposed to be one-on-one, why would Bowlen have been there?

Bowlen doesn't need to hold this guy's hand. McDaniels needs to hold his ground on his own, and he's doing so.

The least of the worries in this situation is Bowlen not attending one meeting that was supposed to be a man to man between a coach and player.

Cutlerbus showed up with legal, and all bets were off.

Bowlen knows what Cutler is trying to do at this point.

Cutlerbus believes their own hype. They believe the franchise will fold without them. They're about to be proven wrong.

Dexter
03-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Again, if the meeting was supposed to be one-on-one, why would Bowlen have been there?

Bowlen doesn't need to hold this guy's hand. McDaniels needs to hold his ground on his own, and he's doing so.

The least of the worries in this situation is Bowlen not attending one meeting that was supposed to be a man to man between a coach and player.

Cutlerbus showed up with legal, and all bets were off.

Bowlen knows what Cutler is trying to do at this point.

Because it shouldn't be McDaniels in control of this whole situation. How does Bowlen what REALLY know happened in that room, if he wasn't there.

If he really IS the man, he should be making decisions. It shouldn't be entirely up to some greener than grass coach to decide how to handle this situation.

Bowlen claimed that he's the one in control around here. He sure seems to be giving a head coach a lot of control over something so serious, and trusting him to make the right calls.

If McDaniels was a proven winner, or had been with the team for more than a season, then yeah maybe just let him handle it.

This team won't find anything better than Cutler for the 09 season. At least sit in on the damn meeting so you know what happened.

Unless Bowlen really wants Cutler gone, he should have been there.