PDA

View Full Version : Mike Shanahan conference call on Jay Cutler/Broncos spat

lostknight
03-15-2009, 10:25 PM
On how spending the last few months in Latin America while the Broncos have self-destructed

“You just don’t know good (you have it) until you get to watch your former team explode like Al Davis's blood pressure after a six pack of Mountain Dew. I think it really showed up once the Goodmans left. You get guys like (Former GM Jeff) Goodman. The guy has had the best draft in the NFL two of the last three years, is just bowling people up and down the field. I don’t know if you saw the seventh pick last year but he impresses. Not to mention the fourth round a few years ago.

There is nothing quite as nice as drinking margs on the beach while your former employeer morphs into the employer before that. That means I can own both Oakland and Denver when I come back to the NFL.

On what he thinks of Bill Belichick's statement that he is glad to not have to face Mike S. this year

I think he said that he wasn't disappointed to not have me on the schedule anymore. But you have to hand it off to Bill Belichick. Not only does he not face me, his minion is working on destroying the team permanently. Champions are built that way, by undermining the team that has traditionally destroyed them in the playoffs. It's impressive.

On Jay Cutler's immaturity
He has always been a bit whinier then we imagined, but how many quarterbacks are Pro-Bowlers in their third season? That earns him a bit of whining, albiet not as much as he actually has. Being the only quarterback left from the 2005 class should worry anyone, He should have 50 million reasons to be a grown up.

Of course, that I will take credit for. I built a incredibly arrogant team, and rather then teaching Jay how to be a leader, I ignored thoose problems with him, and tought him how to be a pro-bowler.

But you can't loose target on what counts. I mean, I dealt with Javon Walker who was constantly threatening to make it rain, and Travis Henry who was incapable of thinking of anything other then his dick and never set any records for intelligence. Hell I even had Sharpe and Elway. If I can work with them, can McDaniels really not work with Cutler?

On dissolving the Bronco's Second Best in the NFL offense
The Offense has to improve. In the NFL, you can't win having the second best offense in the league. Number 2 of 32 means that you will never make the playoffs. Clearly the best way to fix that is to upset the quarterback, the first tight end in Denver since Shannon Sharpe worth anything, and see if you can piss of Marshall and Stokley as well. Perhaps you can build on that success by trading Hillis or putting him behind a raft of washed up running backs.

On the best thing about Jay Cutler leaving Denver
Obviously anytime you have a new head coach who has no idea how to actually use talent and instead tries to copy his previous master's system you have a opportunity to do something really special.

I'm planning on buying Jay Cutler's house. I think it will make a nice washroom for my new mansion. I really want to thank Pat Bowlen for that. Paying me 7 million a year to not coach after signing McDaniel's is a sign of just how great his judgment is. He really is the best owner in the NFL.

On History repeating itself
Sure. It obviously does, but that's good for the Broncos long term. Jeremy Bates might just be running this team the way it's going.

(Obviously, this is a joke, but does anyone out there really think that Mike is not laughing himself silly right now?) Everyone could have predicted (and I did) shortly after Mike S was fired that both Mike and Jay would be with new teams shortly.

McDaniels and Xanders have to get rid of Cutler at this point. They simply have allowed the situation to spiral this far out of control. Player management is their job and they screwed it up. That means not only do they have to fix the defense, they have to fix a offense that was the second best in the NFL before they ****ed with it. They may make a decent or even a great team without Jay Cutler. But he just made it much much much more difficult to make a spectacular team with him.

summerdenver
03-15-2009, 10:35 PM
That's good stuff.

Kaylore
03-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Neg reped. :approve:

Killericon
03-15-2009, 10:37 PM
This team is in surgery. The patient has lost a lot of blood, and it looks ****ing grim, but it's too early to call it a failure. If McDaniels can ship out all the players in the locker room loyal to Cutler, and find himself a serviceable QB...You never know, man.

Borks147
03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=Killericon;2334718 If McDaniels can ship out all the players in the locker room loyal to Cutler, and find himself a serviceable QB...You never know, man.[/QUOTE]

you mean EVERYONE?

lostknight
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
This team is in surgery. The patient has lost a lot of blood, and it looks ****ing grim, but it's too early to call it a failure. If McDaniels can ship out all the players in the locker room loyal to Cutler, and find himself a serviceable QB...You never know, man.

Sure, but think of what he could have done by not destroying our offense and devastating the franchise.

So far this has all the earmarks of the crusaders sacking Constantinople. The long terms effects look disastrous. If he manages to rebuild it, and ends up with less then the second best offense in the league, it will be a step down from what he inherited. If the offense excels it will be in spite of McDaniels, not because of him.

lostknight
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM

I feel proud.

OBF1
03-15-2009, 11:39 PM

He should be at about zero now :)

Beantown Bronco
03-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Cutler was not drafted in 2005....

eddie mac
03-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Sure, but think of what he could have done by not destroying our offense and devastating the franchise.

So far this has all the earmarks of the crusaders sacking Constantinople. The long terms effects look disastrous. If he manages to rebuild it, and ends up with less then the second best offense in the league, it will be a step down from what he inherited. If the offense excels it will be in spite of McDaniels, not because of him.

So you're comparing the Crusades to a pansy QB who needs to purchase a set of testicles???

rastaman
03-16-2009, 07:26 AM
I feel proud.

Great thread/parody.;D

lostknight
03-16-2009, 08:19 AM
So you're comparing the Crusades to a pansy QB who needs to purchase a set of testicles???

The Crusaders sacked Constantinople (their own city) which helped lead to it's downfall later.

McDaniels is making life very hard on himself. That's all I am saying.

missingnumber7
03-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Travis Henry who was incapable of thinking of anything other then his dick

Best Line EVER.