PDA

View Full Version : If he is Traded What is his Value?

rugbythug
03-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Last Year:
Jared Allen-1,3,3
Schaub-2,2
Eli Manning as the Number 1 pick-1,3,next year 1,5
Mike Vick as the number 1 pick-1,3,next year 2 Tim Dwight

So based on the case history. We need more than Manning for us to get Value. I am thinking 1,1,2,2. For all those who say no way he is throwing a hissy. Well Chad Johnson threw a hissy in Cinci and the bengals turned down 2-first round picks for him. His cap # makes it rather easy for him to sit on the pine for 2 years. This means he is not headed out of Denver for a pack of gum.

BMarsh615
03-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I think Cutler is worth no less than 2 first round draft picks. It doesn't matter what we get for him though. If Cutler gets traded we are going to be right where we were after SB 33.

anton
03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
As a Bucs fan, I am willing to give up #19, 2010 1st, 2010 2nd. Interested?

razorwire77
03-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I think a mid first rounder this year, and a first rounder next year is probably what we'll get, or a high first-rounder, and a quality starter.

BroncoFiend
03-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Last Year:
Jared Allen-1,3,3
Schaub-2,2
Eli Manning as the Number 1 pick-1,3,next year 1,5
Mike Vick as the number 1 pick-1,3,next year 2 Tim Dwight

So based on the case history. We need more than Manning for us to get Value. I am thinking 1,1,2,2. For all those who say no way he is throwing a hissy. Well Chad Johnson threw a hissy in Cinci and the bengals turned down 2-first round picks for him. His cap # makes it rather easy for him to sit on the pine for 2 years. This means he is not headed out of Denver for a pack of gum.

Agreed, I think there is already a bidding war for this guy. 75% of teams out there would love to have him given his age and ability. Man I wish we could just work this damn thing out, it really would be better for everyone.

My random thought on a trade:

Denver:
Gives Up: Cutler
Gets: Quinn, Rogers, #20

Detroit:
Gives up: #1, #20
Gets: Cutler

Cleveland:
Gives up: Quinn, Rogers
Gets: #1

Seems like wins all around to me, but what do I know.

kdissette
03-15-2009, 07:36 PM

throw in a 3rd this year and make the 2nd in 2010 conditional (i.e. 2nd if certain things happen a 3rd if not)

montrose
03-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Probably depends on the team. Draft picks wise, 2 1st rounders would be great but I think unlikely. I'd guess we'd be more likely to see a high pick and a player or two. Just my guess, although I still don't think he's getting traded.

BroncoFiend
03-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Living in the Tampa area I would like to see him come to the area. It would be fun to watch the bucs with a real offense. Add a 2nd this year and you got a deal.

razorwire77
03-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Denver gets Quinn, Rodgers, and no. 5

Cleveland gets Cutler, Shef, and no. 12

spdirty
03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
no matter what we will not get equal value.

BroncoFiend
03-15-2009, 07:43 PM

I threw in Detriot for two reasons:

1) I want Cutler out of the AFC

2) I kinda want Cutler to regret what he is doing, and Detoit has a way of making people regret things

anton
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Bucs dont have a 2nd this year because of Kellen Winslow. And we need the 3rd for DL help. I think Cutler is really lowering his value with his antics, especially if he doesnt show tomorow. Teams are going to lowball the Broncos, but if a team REALLY wants him (and I pray the Bucs do), theyll give up two 1st rnders + more.

I think if it turns into a bidding war, two 1sts and a 2nd will do. Cleveland might be the frontrunner though since they can also throw in a pretty good QB.

thumpc
03-15-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm all done with the rebuilding, reloading bull**** for the offense. The only trade that should happen is a trade that will give us an even better chance to win a Super Bowl in 2009 or 2010. McNabb is ready to move on from Philly, and he is better than Cutler. Due to the age difference, we ask for him and a 1st round pick this year for Jay. Sheffler, just make him stay and play. He'll be just fine with it when we're 7-1 at the half way mark.

kdissette
03-15-2009, 07:48 PM

that would be the WORST Trade since Hershall Walker......why would Cleveland think they should get our 1st? For another mediocre egomaniac QB and a fat, lazy egomaniac DT. That would be the biggest ripoff ive ever seen.

spdirty
03-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Think the only deal I would take for Cutler and not throw up in my mouth would be Matt Ryan and a first.

SlipperyPete
03-15-2009, 07:52 PM
People really need to wrap their minds around the fact that we're not going to get anything even remotely resembling what a QB of Jay's age and ability should be worth.

I mean, there's still talk of getting multiple first rounders? STILL?

BroncoFiend
03-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Bucs dont have a 2nd this year because of Kellen Winslow. And we need the 3rd for DL help. I think Cutler is really lowering his value with his antics, especially if he doesnt show tomorow. Teams are going to lowball the Broncos, but if a team REALLY wants him (and I pray the Bucs do), theyll give up two 1st rnders + more.

I think if it turns into a bidding war, two 1sts and a 2nd will do. Cleveland might be the frontrunner though since they can also throw in a pretty good QB.

I see what your saying, but I just don't see how is value is getting lower. I mean, look at yourself, he hasn't hurt his value in your mind.

It would take awhile to list all the teams that would love to have a QB like Cutler, that will drive the price up.

BroncoFiend
03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Think the only deal I would take for Cutler and not throw up in my mouth would be Matt Ryan and a first.

I hope you like the taste of throw up then. I would take Matt Ryan straight up in a SECOND right now. Hell I'd even give up Cutler and a second for Matt Ryan, but I doubt the Falcons would go for it.

ZONA
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Here is what we do know for sure:

1) Cutler will not be traded unless the Broncos get what they want. Cutler is not a FA and has multiple years left on his contract. He is a young pro-bowl caliber QB with a huge arm. He's has a hot head but along with that a real passion to compete and win. Broncos hold all the cards here. Cutler is not going anywhere unless the Broncos get what they want in return. It's not the other way around where we are just trying to unload some player and hoping to get a good offer. He's a Star QB as Bowlen states. Teams are gonna have to come to the table with a sweet deal if that's what they are looking for.

If I'm McD/Zanders, I definitely put Schef into the trade and take no less then:

OPTION A:

2009 1st round pick (must be top 15)
2009 2nd round pick
2010 1st round pick
2010 4th round pick

Option B:

2009 1st round pick (must be top 15)
Pro-bowl player (must be DT, DE or LB)
2010 2nd round pick
2010 4th round pick

skpac1001
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Wouldn't any team trading away high value picks for a qb who is holding out on his current team make the qb's acceptance of the trade a condition? I don't think any team would be willing to take a chance on Cutler holding out on them also after giving up 1st rounders. If so, and assuming Cutler takes advantage and uses it to only be traded to a team he wants, that cuts down on the potiental partners and leverage much more also.

Broncojef
03-15-2009, 08:06 PM
People really need to wrap their minds around the fact that we're not going to get anything even remotely resembling what a QB of Jay's age and ability should be worth.

I mean, there's still talk of getting multiple first rounders? STILL?

Jay is still a wanted commodity by more than one organization anytime that happens and especially with the number of teams in the running should we decide to trade him I think a 1st and 2nd this year and perhaps a first next year isn't out of the question. I think in the end no less than 5 teams will have interest and we'll be in the drivers seat.
Jets, Browns, Buccs, Lions, Vikings and perhaps a few dark horses Bears, Buffalo etc...

Broncojef
03-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Wouldn't any team trading away high value picks for a qb who is holding out on his current team make the qb's acceptance of the trade a condition? I don't think any team would be willing to take a chance on Cutler holding out on them also after giving up 1st rounders. If so, and assuming Cutler takes advantage and uses it to only be traded to a team he wants, that cuts down on the potiental partners and leverage much more also.

Maybe if he had a year left on the contract. Cutler's exodus here is to secure a long-term juicy contract, period. He could care less about McD and the Broncos. i think the fact he has 3 years left would be an incentive to teams on the fence (if there are any).

socalorado
03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Agreed, I think there is already a bidding war for this guy. 75% of teams out there would love to have him given his age and ability. Man I wish we could just work this damn thing out, it really would be better for everyone.

Denver:

Detroit:

Cleveland:

Thats about as good as it gets. For the crappy situation DEN is in.
I dont think it would be with 2 teams though, but who knows?!?!

Broncoman13
03-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Denver:

Detroit:

Cleveland:

Wow, not bad! Throw in Tony Scheffler to the Browns and they would not be able to turn that down!!! For the record, Scheff is one of my favorite players... but the writing is on the wall for him as well. Sad.

montrose
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Denver:

Detroit:

Cleveland:

Seems to me like Cleveland makes out pretty well in that scenario - trading Quinn and Rogers for the #1 pick in the draft. Having to pay the #1 and #5 pick would be tough too I imagine.

Bronco X
03-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Get him to Detroit. He deserves Detroit.

Broncoman13
03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Seems to me like Cleveland makes out pretty well in that scenario - trading Quinn and Rogers for the #1 pick in the draft. Having to pay the #1 and #5 pick would be tough too I imagine.

You're right!

The Broncos get #1 and #20, the Browns get #12.

ZONA
03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Thats about as good as it gets. For the crappy situation DEN is in.
I dont think it would be with 2 teams though, but who knows?!?!

You don't understand. Denver is not in any situation. Jay has multiple years left on his contract and is only making only a little over a million this year (if he doesn't reach his incentives). Denver is holding ALL the cards. They are the ones with a young star QB with a huge arm who just went to the pro-bowl in only his 2nd full year. Just look back a few years at all the QB's taken in the 1st round that haven't really been worth the 1st round pick.

JaMarcus Russell (2008 - pick #1)
Brady Quinn (2008 - pick #22)
Vince Young (2007 - pick #3)
Matt Leinhart (2007 - pick #10)
Alex Smith (2006 - pick #1)
Aaron Rodgers (2005 - pick #24)
Jason Campbell (2005 - pick #25)
J.P. Losman (2004 - pick #22)

Last year Ryan and Flacco played great but you have to go back to 2004 before you even find multiple QB's taken in the 1st round that are worth their salt (Rothlisbeger, Rivers, Manning). That's 4 years between drafts where at least 2 QB's taken were any good. That means the risk is high that if you take a QB in the first round, I'd say you have less then a 40% chance they will be a great QB.

Trust me, teams have people who pull all these figures and they do realize it's much safer to try and trade for a proven NFL star QB then to draft one.

Cutler's value is plenty high. Two #1's and a 2nd at the very least. Trust me.

Rohirrim
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I would prefer Detroit's 20, 33 and next year's first. Let them keep the #1.

Broncojef
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM

20 and 33 would be sweet...

Killericon
03-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Why do people want Brady Quinn over Derek Anderson?

NFLBRONCO
03-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Why do people want Brady Quinn over Derek Anderson?

Weis and NE/ND and Quinn ND and NE McD that's why.

SlipperyPete
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
You don't understand. Denver is not in any situation. Jay has multiple years left on his contract and is only making only a little over a million this year (if he doesn't reach his incentives). Denver is holding ALL the cards.

To think that Denver holds ANY cards in this situation, let alone all of them, is a truly stunning misinterpretation of the facts.

At this point it looks like Cutler is going to have to be traded. It's becoming a "gots to go" situation, as they would say on PTI. This idea that Denver will keep him and just make him sit on the bench or something akin to that is an insane delusion dreamt up by those still trying to pretend that the Broncos have leverage here.

There is, quite literally, no chance whatsoever that they will keep a whiny malcontent with a bad attitude in their locker room just to teach him a lesson. There were enough stories about what Jay's like to deal with (arrogant, spoiled) before this whole thing started. How do you think he's going to behave now? What is that going to do to the locker room?

Think about the players who already can't stand him, or those who have been turned off by his handling of this. You're going to make those guys put up with him every day? And how about the guys who support Jay and want to see him out there playing? How are they going to feel, especially if the team is losing, about Jay just sitting around because the team can't get this stuff straightened out?

And if they refuse to trade him and let him rot on the bench, or he breaks off all contact and sits at home for the next year, his trade value will only be further demolished.

They are going to have to get rid of him, and they're going to be selling him for 50 cents on the dollar. That is rapidly becoming the reality of the situation.

NFLBRONCO
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM

My fav from Det

enjolras
03-15-2009, 09:21 PM
#1: Trading Cutler for primarily draft picks is fundamentally retarded. This is a pro-bowl QB, you go shopping on peoples rosters looking for big time PROVEN talent.

#2: Denver does hold the cards in this situation. Denver still holds the high value Quarterback. You have to think there is going to be a bidding war for his services, particularly given his contract situation. Just because we have to trade him, we're still going to be in a huge position of strength.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Another pick this year since the 2nd is in '10. If they hadn't traded the 2nd for KW2, I'd be all over '09 1st and 2nd, and an '10 1st.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
To think that Denver holds ANY cards in this situation, let alone all of them, is a truly stunning misinterpretation of the facts.

At this point it looks like Cutler is going to have to be traded. It's becoming a "gots to go" situation, as they would say on PTI. This idea that Denver will keep him and just make him sit on the bench or something akin to that is an insane delusion dreamt up by those still trying to pretend that the Broncos have leverage here.

There is, quite literally, no chance whatsoever that they will keep a whiny malcontent with a bad attitude in their locker room just to teach him a lesson. There were enough stories about what Jay's like to deal with (arrogant, spoiled) before this whole thing started. How do you think he's going to behave now? What is that going to do to the locker room?

Think about the players who already can't stand him, or those who have been turned off by his handling of this. You're going to make those guys put up with him every day? And how about the guys who support Jay and want to see him out there playing? How are they going to feel, especially if the team is losing, about Jay just sitting around because the team can't get this stuff straightened out?

And if they refuse to trade him and let him rot on the bench, or he breaks off all contact and sits at home for the next year, his trade value will only be further demolished.

They are going to have to get rid of him, and they're going to be selling him for 50 cents on the dollar. That is rapidly becoming the reality of the situation.

Wow, this is just a terrible post all around.

Denver holds a ton of cards here, Jay's pissed because he didn't feel the organization was loyal to him. He's not a cancer like TO. Jay also has 3 years left on his deal and they can tell him that he's not welcome at Dove Valley and keep him from the team.

Also, any team who thinks they're a QB away from the SB (see Minnesota) or thinking about taking Stafford or Sanchez is immediately in the Cutler sweepstakes. That doesn't even include teams that we all think might be happy with their QB situation, but are willing to go after someone like Cutler because he's available.

You're dreaming if you think Denver is going to take less than market value for Cutler. There will be plenty of interested teams. Hell, TB, Minny, and Detroit were all interested in finding a way to get him even when hadn't even requested a trade. That's not going to change.

richpjr
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I guess time will tell, but I REALLY have a hard time believing that the Broncos could get anywhere near what people are throwing up here. The guy was already developing a reputation as arrogant and pouty BEFORE this meltdown. Now it's sunk to an unbelievable level and yet you think teams will mortgage their future for a guy with this much baggage? I dunno...

SonOfLe-loLang
03-15-2009, 10:31 PM

You're insane. Why the hell would the falcons give up Matt Ryan?

It's AT LEAST two number ones.

You guys are forgetting this is UNPRECEDENTED. A franchise QB who is still probably 3 years away from his prime? This is no system QB. This is a rocket armed guy, who has proven to have moxie, proven he can play in weather, and proven he can lead a team. I think every in the world agrees last season was no fluke and the best is yet to come.

Can anyone else think of another example of this? I cant.

2 firsts...and thats just to start. Anything else, to me, is an insult.

SureShot
03-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Jay Cutler won't be traded unless its a Hershel Walker type deal and thats not going to happen.

boltaneer
03-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Here's a thought:

Detroit's #1 and #20 for Cutler and #12. That puts Cutler's value at 2650, just slightly above the #2 pick in the draft.

If I were the Lions I wouldn't do it but their front office is completely incompetent even without Matt Millen. But they are desperate for a quarterback especially if they're sold on Cutler and it gets them out of the dreaded #1 spot. They'll still have a nice 1st round pick and a high second round pick to snag some good players.

If I were Denver I'm not so sure I'd do it either simply because of getting the expensive #1 pick but I don't know if they could get better value from any other team. I would say it all depends if their scouting department feels they have someone who is a lock as the best player in the draft. Or do they take lower value but a financially better draft slot?

Popps
03-15-2009, 11:53 PM

Good Christ, yes!

Two 1sts and a second?!

Yes please.

BroncsRule
03-16-2009, 12:04 AM
The problem with thinking that Jay is a high value trade prospect is rooted in the misconception that Denver still has him under contract for 3 more years.

While technically true, this only represents real value if you are dumb enough to think that Jay will fulfill that contract with a new team.

He won't. His money grubbing agent as much as said so to ESPN yesterday.

So the only thing a potential suitor team is actually buying from the Broncos is the right to talk to Jay about a huge new contract.

Every personnel man in the league knows this.

No team is going to give up the farm for the rights to a prickly young man with a greedy agent who will only hold out on them.

There are several teams that might be interested in the prospect, but they're not going to over pay for the privilege.

Dudeskey
03-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Jay Cutler won't be traded unless its a Hershel Walker type deal and thats not going to happen.

Dude, if it reaped the same benefits it did for Dallas, Xanders & McD would look like ****ing geniuses- but yeah, ain't gonna happen

SlipperyPete
03-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Wow, this is just a terrible post all around.

Yes, it is a terrible post. The reality of this situation is terrible. Maybe we can deal in reality instead of living in fantasy land.

Denver holds a ton of cards here

Well, so much for that idea.

Jay's pissed because he didn't feel the organization was loyal to him. He's not a cancer like TO.

Are you seriously this naive? Do you think this situation is the only mark on Cutler's record? Is it your opinion that, prior to this incident, Jay Cutler's reputation around the league was as a solid and relatively well-adjusted young man with a good head on his shoulders?

Because if that's the case, I have some troubling news for you.

Jay also has 3 years left on his deal and they can tell him that he's not welcome at Dove Valley and keep him from the team.

Wow! That'll help his trade value! The minute they do that, any trade for Jay Cutler includes nothing but a few conditional mid-round draft picks. It will never happen.

And what you're describing would quickly become an NFLPA nightmare for the Broncos.

You're dreaming if you think Denver is going to take less than market value for Cutler.

ESPN's version of events had Denver ready to take a 1st and 3rd from Tampa. Is that "market value" for a QB Jay's age with his physical ability who's just coming off a Pro Bowl? Jared "Captain DUI" Allen was worth more than that last year.

There will be plenty of interested teams. Hell, TB, Minny, and Detroit were all interested in finding a way to get him even when hadn't even requested a trade. That's not going to change.

Since news of the three-way trade situation broke, Denver's negotiating power has disappeared and Cutler has further proven himself to be the sort of malcontented d-bag that he's often been rumored to be. By themselves, both would be harmful to his trade value. Together, they're toxic.

What about that is so hard for people to understand?

Bronco Yoda
03-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Living in the Tampa area I would like to see him come to the area. It would be fun to watch the bucs with a real offense. Add a 2nd this year and you got a deal.
\
I just vomited... I shouldn't ate so much tonight

Quoydogs
03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
As per espn Mcdips@!t said he is not intrested in draft picks. So he has someone in mind. Who?

FireFly
03-16-2009, 01:45 AM
I threw in Detriot for two reasons:

1) I want Cutler out of the AFC

2) I kinda want Cutler to regret what he is doing, and Detoit has a way of making people regret things

I like your way of thinking!

Liebs
03-16-2009, 02:16 AM
doesn't the fact that he would demand such high trade values make you scratch your head and say "wtf?" I know that's my reaction as I take all this crap in....

Dexter
03-16-2009, 02:17 AM
#1: Trading Cutler for primarily draft picks is fundamentally retarded. This is a pro-bowl QB, you go shopping on peoples rosters looking for big time PROVEN talent.

#2: Denver does hold the cards in this situation. Denver still holds the high value Quarterback. You have to think there is going to be a bidding war for his services, particularly given his contract situation. Just because we have to trade him, we're still going to be in a huge position of strength.

This. :notworthy Couldn't have said it better myself.

Atwater His Ass
03-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Doesn't matter what Cutler is worth. We won't get it as we will not be in a position of power come negotiation time.

Dexter
03-16-2009, 03:04 AM
Madden Trade GO!?

Detroit gets: Marshall, Cutler, Scheffler

We get

Calvin Johnson, #1 overall, #20

HELLZ YEAH :~ohyah!:

Uhh Well I can dream can't I

mhgaffney
03-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Well, it comes down to WHO DO YOU BELIEVE?

I tend to think Cutler read the situation correctly when he concluded that McDaniels wants a different QB.

I think McDaniels is not comfortable with a scrambling QB. He wants a pocket passer -- someone who will simply follow orders.

The fiasco also shows Bowlen's ineptness. Bowlen should have sounded out McDaniels BEFORE hiring him.

IF I were Bowlen I would fire McDaniels and start over.

Broncos_OTM
03-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah we dont have the cap for #1 overall and it might be tight signing 12-20-33 and then the following year whatever pick and our pick.

rugbythug
03-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Doesn't matter what Cutler is worth. We won't get it as we will not be in a position of power come negotiation time.

We pay him 6 million over the next 2 years. We have all the power.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-16-2009, 07:18 AM

Won't happen for a few reasons.

1. The QB they're looking to move is Derrick Anderson, not Brady Quinn.
2. If they trade Shaun Rogers, they get a $20m cap hit.
3. They traded Winslow because their offense does not utilize a tight end much. They would have no use for Scheffler.

It's a shame, because I love the idea.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Well, it comes down to WHO DO YOU BELIEVE?

I tend to think Cutler read the situation correctly when he concluded that McDaniels wants a different QB.

I think McDaniels is not comfortable with a scrambling QB. He wants a pocket passer -- someone who will simply follow orders.

The fiasco also shows Bowlen's ineptness. Bowlen should have sounded out McDaniels BEFORE hiring him.

IF I were Bowlen I would fire McDaniels and start over.

Well it's a good thing you're not Bowlen, because you'd be wrong.

He wanted Cassel because Cassel knows the system, the terminology, and could be a coach on the field to help the offense progress. McDaniels' job is to win and win quickly. He won 11 games last year with Cassel.

With Cassel out of the picture, Jay wasn't going anywhere. Jay's stubbornness and baby act are what will end up sending him elsewhere.

I mean come on. Putting your house on the market? He was trying to send a message.

Enjoy Detroit, you ungrateful beatle-haired punk.

TonyR
03-16-2009, 08:44 AM
`Buyer beware' sign clearly on Cutler
Why do so many Panthers fans want the team to trade for disgruntled Denver QB Jay Cutler? First of all, it's not going to happen. Beyond that, do you really want him given some of his behavior of late?

Last season, he declared his arm was stronger -- "hands down" -- than John Elway's. Even if that's true -- and it's not -- why would he say that, especially as the quarterback of Elway's former team? It wasn't even remotely wise and gave a strong hint of potential trouble. Elway is a Hall of Famer with two Super Bowl titles. Cutler is just getting started.

Now, he and his new coach are feuding. Cutler is looking very little like a team leader right now. Mel Kiper Jr. may have a point in saying he might be another Jeff George.

Face it, Cutler is not the kind of guy who fits the Panthers' leadership mold. Say whatever you want about Jake Delhomme, he's accountable and doesn't try to trump his teammates or other players -- past, present or future.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2009/03/buyer-beware-sign-clearly-on-cutler.html

montrose
03-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Dan Pompei was on ESPN First Take and said that over half the teams in the league will have interest in Jay including teams that seemingly have a QB in place. The one specific deal he mentioned could be Jay to Cleveland for Quinn and the #5 pick.

TonyR
03-16-2009, 09:15 AM
The one specific deal he mentioned could be Jay to Cleveland for Quinn and the #5 pick.

Is there anything to this or is it pure speculation? I wonder if we could include Scheffler (since they traded away Winslow) and get Rogers or perhaps that's dreaming. If we could do that I'd do it yesterday.

mattob14
03-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Dan Pompei was on ESPN First Take and said that over half the teams in the league will have interest in Jay including teams that seemingly have a QB in place. The one specific deal he mentioned could be Jay to Cleveland for Quinn and the #5 pick.

That's not a bad deal. Make it something like Cutler, Scheffler, and our 4th for Quinn, #5, and #50 and I'd jump on it. Quinn's definitely not Cutler, but he's the type of QB who could execute a system. Add Curry (Kirwan had him going #5 in his latest mock) and #50 and we could patch up a lot of holes this year.

I really think we'll get a good return for Cutler. If Cutler had one suitor and we HAD to trade him, I do believe his value would be diminshed. But, there are so many teams interested, it only takes 2 competing to drive the price up. Look at the NFC North, there are 3 possible suitors in Chicago, Detroit, and Minnesota. Not only would they like to add a ready-made, young Pro Bowl QB, but they also have an interest in keeping him away from a division rival.

cutthemdown
03-16-2009, 05:29 PM
That's not a bad deal. Make it something like Cutler, Scheffler, and our 4th for Quinn, #5, and #50 and I'd jump on it. Quinn's definitely not Cutler, but he's the type of QB who could execute a system. Add Curry (Kirwan had him going #5 in his latest mock) and #50 and we could patch up a lot of holes this year.

I really think we'll get a good return for Cutler. If Cutler had one suitor and we HAD to trade him, I do believe his value would be diminshed. But, there are so many teams interested, it only takes 2 competing to drive the price up. Look at the NFC North, there are 3 possible suitors in Chicago, Detroit, and Minnesota. Not only would they like to add a ready-made, young Pro Bowl QB, but they also have an interest in keeping him away from a division rival.

From Detroit I want Calvin Johnson, From Minny Adrian Peterson. Coach said he's not interested in draft picks.

yerner
03-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Surprised nobody is mentioning Washington. Snyder will likely think about it. What about Campbell, 1st, and Landry? Probably couldn't get Landry though. I think Cutler would put them in Super Bowl contention.

cutthemdown
03-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I'd rather go with simms over campbell to tell you the truth.

DrFate
03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Surprised nobody is mentioning Washington. Snyder will likely think about it. What about Campbell, 1st, and Landry? Probably couldn't get Landry though. I think Cutler would put them in Super Bowl contention.

Campbell is a very mediocre player. I live in the DC area and see him all the time. He has never lived up to the first round pick he cost.

TonyR
03-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Clayton mailbag: Browns, Cutler fit
For this edition of the mailbag, I wanted to jump ahead to field some early thoughts on the messed-up situation with Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler.

First, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels continues to push the issue the wrong way by trying to be more like a boss than a diplomat. He ruined Cutler's confidence in the organization after the Broncos were involved in trade talks to obtain Matt Cassel from the New England Patriots. Cassel landed with the Kansas City Chiefs instead.

Cutler apparently had still planned to show up Monday for the start of the team's offseason program. But then Saturday's talk between the Cutler and McDaniels fell apart because of poor communication. Even though the Broncos insist they won't trade him, they have to consider it after this past weekend's events.

You have to go back to the Jeff George trade in 1994 to find a similar incident. George, the first pick in the 1990 draft, wore out his welcome after four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts and was traded to the Atlanta Falcons.

George went to Atlanta in exchange for first- and third-round picks in the 1994 draft and a second-rounder that turned into a first-round selection in the 1995 draft based on his playing time for the Falcons. Note the value of the trade, because it might be the basis of what the Broncos seek in return for Cutler. The Broncos probably would ask for a similar package if they shop Cutler. The Minnesota Vikings, Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears could be interested.

The team with the best chance to interest the Broncos would be the Cleveland Browns. The Browns, you ask? Yes, the Browns would be best because they could offer a promising quarterback in return in either Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson.

Because Cutler didn't show up for the Broncos' team meeting on Monday, the next move is up to the Broncos.

Q: Given Bus Cook's history (Steve McNair, Brett Favre among others), how much of the debacle in Denver do you think is attributable to Bus Cook? I don't mean to say that he manufactured the situation, but is it possible that he is "fanning the flames" in order to get a bigger check for himself via Jay Cutler?

From Charles in Durham, N.C.

A: Cook, Jay Cutler's agent, has done nothing in the Cutler mess other than offer his support. People may be getting a wrong perception of Cook. He's not a Scott Boras. He's not trying to play hardball. Remember, Steve McNair and Brett Favre had long, successful careers in their cities, and Cook was their agent. In fact, Cook's willingness to sign both to long-term deals made sure the Tennessee Titans and the Green Bay Packers, respectively, kept their quarterbacks as long as possible. But when trouble comes, Cook will fight for his client. Remember, it was the Titans who kept McNair off team property when they were ready to move him. The Favre problem was between Favre and his bosses. Cook just had to do the dirty work. In the Cutler affair, he just has to sit back and watch and be with his client in all meetings. The problem is between Cutler and his coach.

Q: Hey, John, I'm tired of Cutler's act already! This guy has done exactly what in the NFL? He's lost more games than he's won, has yet to make the playoffs, chokes down the stretch, and whines seemingly nonstop! Let's not forget he didn't take over the 0-16 Lions. Do you see him ever moving past this "punk" stage he seems to be stuck in?

From Frank in Boise, Idaho

A: Quarterbacks are hard to find, and the Broncos found a great talent in Cutler. Let's not be quick to kick him out the door. It took a decade for the team to find anyone who could remind people of the John Elway days. We can agree Cutler is not Elway, but he has better throwing skills than Brian Griese and Jake Plummer. Brett Favre was immature during his rookie season in Atlanta, and the Falcons traded him away. You saw how well that one worked out. Give Cutler some space.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3984758

Tombstone RJ
03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't know what angle McD is playing by announcing the Broncos won't trade for picks. That's just silly. He should say that IF Cutler was up for trade negotiations, then he'd listen to all reasonable offers, period.

So, no picks eh McD?

So then, what do you want as compensation for a pro bowl QB who is just about in his prime and is playing on the cheap?

Let's see... who's gonna give you what you want? Baltimore? Flacco is a pocket passer who can make all the throws, he's young and essentially unproven but he's NOT A DRAFT PICK.

Why not offer Baltimore Cutler and Scheff for Flacco and a defensive player? Baltimore gets a great young QB, the Broncos get a tall statue in the pocket and both teams (esp. Baltimore) move on to greener pastures.

Broncojef
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM

I wouldn't mind Quinn with Simms as a backup the #5 in conjunction with our #12 could possibly land us a solid NT and MLB combination.

Broncojef
03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't know what angle McD is playing by announcing the Broncos won't trade for picks. That's just silly. He should say that IF Cutler was up for trade negotiations, then he'd listen to all reasonable offers, period.

So, no picks eh McD?

So then, what do you want as compensation for a pro bowl QB who is just about in his prime and is playing on the cheap?

Let's see... who's gonna give you what you want? Baltimore? Flacco is a pocket passer who can make all the throws, he's young and essentially unproven but he's NOT A DRAFT PICK.

Why not offer Baltimore Cutler and Scheff for Flacco and a defensive player? Baltimore gets a great young QB, the Broncos get a tall statue in the pocket and both teams (esp. Baltimore) move on to greener pastures.

Thats a head scratcher for me as well. I think I'd rather have the solid arsenal of draft picks to build from.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM

So, no picks eh McD?

He can say anything he wants, but everyone knows that the deal is going to be centered around picks and not players. No team is going to get rid of 2 or 3 good, young starters for Jay.

Bravo
03-16-2009, 07:02 PM
As someone has already said, "Cutler is still under a nice juicy contracf for the next three years" McD might sweeten his contract some and also extended it conditionally. AND tell him Ok, lets play ball, your are our QB and I have great plans for you and if you follow my lead we will be SB contenders real quick. Go with me, you are out man!!!

Broncojef
03-16-2009, 07:31 PM
As someone has already said, "Cutler is still under a nice juicy contracf for the next three years" McD might sweeten his contract some and also extended it conditionally. AND tell him Ok, lets play ball, your are our QB and I have great plans for you and if you follow my lead we will be SB contenders real quick. Go with me, you are out man!!!

After all of this, no. I wouldn't give Cutler any kind of extension, he's under contract and has acted horrible. McD is running the show and to be quite honest probably hates the fact Cutler shows up one week and sucks the next. McD is looking for a stable QB that can manage the game and perform consistently within the system each week and I don't blame him in the least. Get good value in the trade and lets be done with this soap opera.

Dedhed
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Broncos give/Browns get:
Cutler
Scheffler

Broncos Get/Browns give
Brady Quinn
Shaun Rodgers
2010 1st rounder

Rodgers and Scheffler pretty much cancel because neither player is wanted by the new coaching staff of their respective teams. Rodgers is by far the better player, but the Browns just lost Winslow and bringing Scheffler in fills a spot they would otherwise need to fill through the draft and gives Cutler the pacifier we all know he needs.

Asking for the #36 overall is probably a bit steep, but Cutler (in the eyes of the Browns) has value they can't pass up. With Quinn in the mix that would put a value on Cutler somewhere around 2 1sts and a second.

The Broncos get Quinn who is very well suited to run McDaniels offense, and will fall right in line with the new mantra in Denver and help get others on board.

Adding Rodgers would be a great addition despite his issues, and his presence would give us a ton more flexibility on draft day.