PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed Bowlen: "We might lose our star QB"

Taco John
03-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't know why this keeps getting merged, but it's a legitimate stand alone thread....

Disappointed Bowlen: "We might lose our star QB"
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/15/2009 09:42:21 AM MDT
Updated: 03/15/2009 07:30:10 PM MDT

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11919325

bronco militia
03-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey?!?!?! Wtf Mods!

:giggle: ;D

Taco John
03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
There are many facets to this whole deal to discuss. What's the point of merging them all into one? Good points get lost in the morass.

bronco militia
03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
I don't know why this keeps getting merged, but it's a legitimate stand alone thread....

Disappointed Bowlen: "We might lose our star QB"
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/15/2009 09:42:21 AM MDT
Updated: 03/15/2009 07:30:10 PM MDT

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11919325

ya damn right it is......i tried three times :rofl:

Popps
03-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Mods, can you merge this please?

bronco militia
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Cutler has insisted that until his situation gets resolved, all conversation with Broncos officials must include Cook, who led the discussions in both a conference call last Monday with Broncos officials that included Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis, and in the meeting Saturday at Dove Valley with McDaniels and Xanders.

cutler!!! you chicken **** asshole

Popps
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Asked to clarify, Bowlen said he steadfastly supports his new coach and his disappointment lies in the way Cutler has handled the two-week standoff.

Pretty much all you need to see in this article.

Same thing many of us have been saying, and no surprise.

Jay wants it this way. Either he wants out or wants $$.. but Jay wants it this way. He doesn't want an olive branch. I'm not sure how much more painfully obvious that could be.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 08:16 PM
"I'm very disappointed," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Sunday. "I'm disappointed in the whole picture, not just disappointed that we might lose our star quarterback."
Asked to clarify, Bowlen said he steadfastly supports his new coach and his disappointment lies in the way Cutler has handled the two-week standoff.

Bowlen's statement here has pretty much made things worse, not better. Aside from the fact that he's alienating Jay, he's basically undermining Jay's value to the Broncos. Teams are going to use this statement as a signal to low ball us.

kdissette
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, that presser pretty much just killed any hopes of getting fair value on a trade...

SoCalBronco
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Bowlen's statement here has pretty much made things worse, not better. .

What else is new?

I could be in a room with 4 knockout broads and if you inject Pat Bowlen into the picture in any way, I'll bet it will end up turning out that they're all ladyboys from Thailand.

This guy could **** up a wet dream in less than a new york minute.

Captain 'Dre
03-15-2009, 08:20 PM

Jay wants it this way. Either he wants out or wants $$.. but Jay wants it this way. He doesn't want an olive branch. I'm not sure how much more painfully obvious that could be.

Jay is forcing the team's hand. You hate to say it, but there is something Ryan Leaf-like about Jay's hardheaded refusal to examine his role in this fiasco. He seems so intent on bearing grudges that the club will have no option but to unoload him.

theAPAOps5
03-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Taco you better let SoCal know. He is getting flustered merging them over and over again. Not trying to be funny he has commented about it.

skpac1001
03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Cutler has insisted that until his situation gets resolved, all conversation with Broncos officials must include Cook, who led the discussions in both a conference call last Monday with Broncos officials that included Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis, and in the meeting Saturday at Dove Valley with McDaniels and Xanders.

cutler!!! you chicken **** a-hole

Ugh. I missed that the first time. Looking at this, Cutler can also impose his will as far as who he is traded to. Any team trading us will want Cutlers ok so that he doesn't hold out on them. Unless we get lucky with the Titans or Bears or whoever is acceptable to Cutler, I don't think there is any way we get anywhere close to good value in a trade.

Popps
03-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Jay is forcing the team's hand. You hate to say it, but there is something Ryan Leaf-like about Jay's hardheaded refusal to examine his role in this fiasco. He seems so intent on bearing grudges that the club will have no option but to unoload him.

I don't hate to say it. I hate that it's true.

I'm really disappointed this kid turned out to be such a prima donna. We could have used him going forward. But, life goes on, and I remain excited about this team.

He wasn't the team for me, and if he doesn't want to be here... then **** 'em.

FADERPROOF
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
What else is new?

I could be in a room with 4 knockout broads and if you inject Pat Bowlen into the picture in any way, I'll bet it will end up turning out that they're all ladyboys from Thailand.

How is this on Bowlen? The Broncos have reached out to Jay on numerous occasions and Cutler has done nothing but give them the cold shoulder. It may be too late now, but if Jay would've just swallowed some of that ego and not paraded around how hurt his feelings were then the Broncos wouldn't be in this predicament.

Jay has basically given the Broncos a big "FU", Broncos need to start thinking about moving on.

kdissette
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Captain 'Dre;2334242] You hate to say it, but there is something Ryan Leaf-like about Jay's hardheaded refusal to examine his role in this fiasco.

I love the comparison and i jsut read that the Lions are looking to draft a LT with their pick....i sense a 3team trade and Cutler is Bye Bye.

Meck77
03-15-2009, 08:25 PM
What else is new?

Yup...Pat Bowlen is just some billionaire idiot who doesn't know a damn thing about running a business.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 08:25 PM

There's nothing Ryan Leaf about this. Ryan Leaf had no talent, and took his agression out on reporters.

There's something Elwayesque and Eli-Manning-esque about this. Both of these guys forced a trade due to coach issues. The difference is that Jay forced the trade after he became a proven commodity.

kdissette
03-15-2009, 08:27 PM
There's nothing Ryan Leaf about this. Ryan Leaf had no talent, and took his agression out on reporters.

There's something Elwayesque and Eli-Manning-esque about this. Both of these guys forced a trade due to coach issues. The difference is that Jay forced the trade after he became a proven commodity.

Actually Elway did this 2x. Draft day and also Reeves tried to trade him and Elway cryed about it until Bowlen fired him and brought in Phillips.

bronco militia
[QUOTE=Captain 'Dre;2334242] You hate to say it, but there is something Ryan Leaf-like about Jay's hardheaded refusal to examine his role in this fiasco.

I love the comparison and i jsut read that the Lions are looking to draft a LT with their pick....i sense a 3team trade and Cutler is Bye Bye.

there's no doubt that the last 3 weeks are mostly jay's doing, but Bowlen doesn't get a free pass when the two clowns he hired to run the team got this latest disaster rolling

Rohirrim
Down the road, Jay is going to realize he really screwed the pooch on this one. I wonder if Bus Cook's other clients will start getting the cool response from teams? I think Bus and Jay have really screwed the Broncos over, and I'm surprised by how many Broncos fans support them.

SoCalBronco
03-15-2009, 08:28 PM
How is this on Bowlen? The Broncos have reached out to Jay on numerous occasions and Cutler has done nothing but give them the cold shoulder. It may be too late now, but if Jay would've just swallowed some of that ego and not paraded around how hurt his feelings were then the Broncos wouldn't be in this predicament.

Jay has basically given the Broncos a big "FU", Broncos need to start thinking about moving on.

They haven't "reached out" in any substantive way. They've had "meetings" where they've come at him guns blazing when a cooler, more level headed and humble approach would have been more appropriate. They've continually leaked stories which may be untrue to try to smear him in the press because they saw that the fanbase was siding with him. These are the tactics of thugs. And that's what they are, Pat. He could have handled it a bit better on his end as well, but the vast majority of this **** is on them. They need to get off their high horse. If they want to continue going around lying to people and offending people left and right then they can go 4-12 and alienate everyone. If Bowlen were a real man, he'd tell McDaniels to back off and he'd get off his ass and do something to smooth things over. The only courage that man has is of the liquid variety. He's a joke.

ZONA
03-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Ummm, okay so to me this is not anything new or that we don't already know. This could easily be merged IMO.

They need to have a meeting with Bowlen, McD, Jay and Cook only. Those 4 need to go to the home of a family about to lose their home so they can see what real problems are. Or have the meeting in a home where one of the kids has cancer. Maybe put some things into perspective here.

This tantrum has gone on long enough. My wife and I have had arguments worse then what these two have had and we have to live in the same house 24/7. We make up just fine. Why can't McD and Josh just get on the same page. It's not that hard. But both parties must be willing. Somebody here is not willing and I don't think it's McD.

FADERPROOF
03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
They haven't "reached out" in any substantive way. They've had "meetings" where they've come at him guns blazing when a cooler, more level headed and humble approach would have been more appropriate. They've continually leaked stories which may be untrue to try to smear him in the press because they saw that the fanbase was siding with him. These are the tactics of thugs. And that's what they are, Pat. He could have handled it a bit better on his end as well, but the vast majority of this **** is on them. They need to get off their high horse. If they want to continue going around lying to people and offending people left and right then they can go 4-12 and alienate everyone. If Bowlen were a real man, he'd tell McDaniels to back off and he'd get off his ass and do something to smooth things over. The only courage that man has is of the liquid variety. He's a joke.

How dare the Broncos try to talk football with their quarterback as they head into a new system. They wanted Jay to be professional and act like a mature leader by just getting over it and moving on, and because his ego wasn't accomodated accordingly he has now started acting like my 21 month old son whenever I take a toy away from him.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
The Broncos reached out, but it wasn't until after they started playing games with the guy by shutting down communication once the leak became public. Jay should have heard about this through the Broncos first, not anywhere else. If that simple phone call had been made, Jay would have absolutely no friends in this matter.

skpac1001

It is amazing what a difference one year makes. Cutler is a proven franchise qb, Cassel is a one year wonder with major questions.

Popps
Actually Elway did this 2x. Draft day and also Reeves tried to trade him and Elway cryed about it until Bowlen fired him and brought in Phillips.

You need to check your history.

Elway made it CRYSTAL-clear that he wouldn't play in Indy, and most thought he had legitimate reason to do so, at the time. He also had a potential baseball career to fall back on. He also hadn't signed a contract to PLAY for the Broncos, yet.

As for Reeves, you may recall Elway/Reeves working well enough together to go to multiple Superbowls, and before you say it was all Elway.... Reeves went to another after leaving Denver.

The analogy is ridiculous, and people need to stop using it.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Ummm, okay so to me this is not anything new or that we don't already know.

It's new(s) that Pat Bowlen has commented publically about this. We didn't know what Pat's thoughts were on this matter. Now that he's made them public, it's worth its own discussion.

maher_tyler
03-15-2009, 08:34 PM

If he wants money then ****in say it...whats the point of beating around the bush?!?!

rastaman

I don't Cutler has shown any of Leafs personality traits. Cutler didn't have a melt down with anger and yelling problems the way Leaf displayed.

I don't think its so much as bearing grudges as it is not wanting to re-uniting with Shanhan. Just my opinion.

I mean think about......could it be that the likely hood of of QB and former HC on the same team???

After what has happened in the last few weeks, never say never.

Wes Mantooth
"Cook and Cutler are seeking commitment from the team via a new contract..."

That is all this whole thing is about. Their was an opporunity to get more money and the Cutler team is taking it. Whether he gets traded or stays, Jay Cutler will have at least made a valiant effort to make alot more than he is making now.

FADERPROOF
03-15-2009, 08:35 PM

Elway made it CRYSTAL-clear that he wouldn't play in Indy, and most thought he had legitimate reason to do so, at the time. He also had a potential baseball career to fall back on. He also hadn't signed a contract to PLAY for the Broncos, yet.

As for Reeves, you may recall Elway/Reeves working well enough together to go to multiple Superbowls, and before you say it was all Elway.... Reeves went to another after leaving Denver.

Correct, Elway forced his hand when Baltimore selected him 1st overall because he had the leverage of playing baseball in the New York Yankees system.

Jay has no leverage like that, he doesn't have another professional sport to jump to and even if so, he still has a contract signed with the Broncos, therefore this is much more baby-like than Elway was.

Popps
It is amazing what a one year difference makes. Cutler is a proven franchise qb, Cassel is a one year wonder with major questions.

Really?

What has Cutler won?

His career stats as a Broncos look about like Jake Plummers'. (Without the wins.) Was he a "franchise" quarterback?

What the **** has Jay Cutler "proven" in this league outside of having a big arm, a bad haircut and a very questionable personality?

Proven, my arse.

MplsBronco
"I'm very disappointed," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Sunday. "I'm disappointed in the whole picture, not just disappointed that we might lose our star quarterback."

Bowlen's statement here has pretty much made things worse, not better. Aside from the fact that he's alienating Jay, he's basically undermining Jay's value to the Broncos. Teams are going to use this statement as a signal to low ball us.

When are you fools going to acknowledge that the people in the know are all pointing the finger at Jay??? Yet you still take every chance to bash the organization. I hope you all leave this team with Jay because your whiny **** is really old.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM

So what? That didn't stop people for criticizing a guy who had won absolutely nothing in college for not playing for the team that drafted him. You can do your usual re-invention of history, but Elway was hated for years for this move and was seen as a me-first primadonna.

For my part, I don't have a problem with people looking out for their own interests, so it never bothered me that Elway would use his leverage to put himself in a more favorable situation.

Popps
Correct, Elway forced his hand when Baltimore selected him 1st overall because he had the leverage of playing baseball in the New York Yankees system.

Jay has no leverage like that, he doesn't have another professional sport to jump to and even if so, he still has a contract signed with the Broncos, therefore this is much more baby-like than Elway was.

People hear other people make bad analogies and just jump on board. I'd bet 90% of the people throwing around that silly comparison weren't even old enough to remember the games, at that point.

bronco militia
Worse–they might lose their fan base. And that is saying something in Denver.

This level of mis-management reveals how good Shanny was as coach and GM. In his 13 years nothing like this ever transpired. Yes he hired some turds and lost some games he should have won, but in spite of all that the city generally felt that he was the best coach available and made genuine efforts to get better. Not that many of them worked out…but he always put the organization first.

Mcdaniels has not shown the city or organization that he has ANY idea how to win.

Bottom line: CUTLER IS A TOTAL ASS and McDONALD IS ALREADY A FAILURE AS A HEAD COACH.

The only way to get this fixed is have a monster draft and based on McDouche’s judgment that doesn’t seem likely.

Rohirrim
03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Ummm, okay so to me this is not anything new or that we don't already know. This could easily be merged IMO.

They need to have a meeting with Bowlen, McD, Jay and Cook only. Those 4 need to go to the home of a family about to lose their home so they can see what real problems are. Or have the meeting in a home where one of the kids has cancer. Maybe put some things into perspective here.

This tantrum has gone on long enough. My wife and I have had arguments worse then what these two have had and we have to live in the same house 24/7. We make up just fine. Why can't McD and Josh just get on the same page. It's not that hard. But both parties must be willing. Somebody here is not willing and I don't think it's McD.

I think it's pretty simple when it's all boiled down. Jay was upset that Shanahan got the axe. He was further upset when Bates was also cut. Then, he heard the Broncos got calls on him and listened. No doubt, somewhere during all of this Bus Cook stepped up and told Jay he could get a big payday and find somewhere else to play, maybe even closer to home where he can hang out with his Hoosier buds. That's why, from the outset, Jay has shown no interest whatsoever in trying to clear up his issues with the Broncos. If there is anything the last two weeks has convinced me of, it's that Jay wants out of Denver and will do what it takes to make it happen.

Taco John
03-15-2009, 08:38 PM
When are you fools going to acknowledge that the people in the know are all pointing the finger at Jay??

Because that's not actually true. Certainly there are people who are disappointed in the way that Jay handled this. But there are also plenty of "people in the know" who recognize how badly the organization fumbled this situation from day one.

Get use to it because how badly the Broncos screwed this up is going to be a perennial Broncos topic for years to come. The media is going to hash and re-hash this point all season long with every loss, and every big Jay Cutler win. We're all going to be good and sick of it come December.

rastaman
03-15-2009, 08:41 PM

But Reeves never won any SB's as a HC. And needless to say Reeves and Elway's relationship was stormy at best, and neither proved they could win a SB together.

How many fans back in the 80's and early 90's would have chosen Reeves over Elway.....had a change needed to be made!

Regardless of how this situation ends with Cutler.....I wouldn't trade my Pro Bowl franchise QB for an unproven HC plain and simple.

MplsBronco
03-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I think it's pretty simple when it's all boiled down. Jay was upset that Shanahan got the axe. He was further upset when Bates was also cut. Then, he heard the Broncos got calls on him and listened. No doubt, somewhere during all of this Bus Cook stepped up and told Jay he could get a big payday and find somewhere else to play, maybe even closer to home where he can hang out with his Hoosier buds. That's why, from the outset, Jay has shown no interest whatsoever in trying to clear up his issues with the Broncos. If there is anything the last two weeks has convinced me of, it's that Jay wants out of Denver and will do what it takes to make it happen.

Exactly, end of story. The Broncos are getting played by Cutler and his douche agent and many people don't have the smarts to figure that out.

Popps
03-15-2009, 08:43 PM
So what? That didn't stop people for criticizing a guy who had won absolutely nothing in college for not playing for the team that drafted him. .

Again, the Colts were a mess at that time and Elway would have been committing career suicide. Anyone looking in on the situation knew it. Elway took VERY little criticism, in hindsight.... and most of it was from silly fans of other teams talking ****.

For my part, I don't have a problem with people looking out for their own interests, so it never bothered me that Elway would use his leverage to put himself in a more favorable situation.

Only the two situations are absolutely not analogous, whatsoever.

Elway didn't sign a contract. Drafting a player doesn't commit them to your franchise until a contract is signed.

Cutler is a Denver Broncos employee. Him acting like a dick as an employee has nothing to do with Elway publicly stating that he wouldn't commit career suicide with a sinking franchise that was on the verge of being uprooted.

MplsBronco
03-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Because that's not actually true. Certainly there are people who are disappointed in the way that Jay handled this. But there are also plenty of "people in the know" who recognize how badly the organization fumbled this situation from day one.

Get use to it because how badly the Broncos screwed this up is going to be a perennial Broncos topic for years to come. The media is going to hash and re-hash this point all season long with every loss, and every big Jay Cutler win. We're all going to be good and sick of it come December.

You're wrong, as usual. Get over it.

Bronco_Beerslug
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Again, the Colts were a mess at that time and Elway would have been committing career suicide. Anyone looking in on the situation knew it. Elway took VERY little criticism, in hindsight.... and most of it was from silly fans of other teams talking ****.

Only the two situations are absolutely not analogous, whatsoever.

Elway didn't sign a contract. Drafting a player doesn't commit them to your franchise until a contract is signed.

Cutler is a Denver Broncos employee. Him acting like a dick as an employee has nothing to do with Elway publicly stating that he wouldn't commit career suicide with a sinking franchise that was on the verge of being uprooted.
Yeah, anyone trying to compare Cutler to Elway in any facet don't know much about the game anyway.

skpac1001
03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Really?

What has Cutler won?

His career stats as a Broncos look about like Jake Plummers'. (Without the wins.) Was he a "franchise" quarterback?

What the **** has Jay Cutler "proven" in this league outside of having a big arm, a bad haircut and a very questionable personality?

Proven, my arse.

I guess I didn't write it well, but that was my point. The difference between Cutlers "proven franchise qb" and Cassel's "still needs to prove himself" seems to be only the 2007 season, which didn't seem so impressive by Cutler as to justify such a big difference in what they have "proven".

Popps
03-15-2009, 08:47 PM
How many fans back in the 80's and early 90's would have chosen Reeves over Elway.....had a change needed to be made!

Well, Elway had already shown the ability to carry a franchise on his back to wins.

Cutler... not so much.

Drek
03-15-2009, 08:47 PM
"Cook and Cutler are seeking commitment from the team via a new contract..."

That is all this whole thing is about. Their was an opporunity to get more money and the Cutler team is taking it. Whether he gets traded or stays, Jay Cutler will have at least made a valiant effort to make alot more than he is making now.

Pretty much.

I find it highly dubious that the first word out of this was Tampa Bay, where Bus Cook has been more than capable of generating press previously. I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that the only reason teams called about making such a move was because Cook was feeding Tampa and Detroit info that Cutler was getable. His ulterior motive the entire time was for him and Jay to act indignant at the suggestion he could be traded, and use it to leverage a new deal from the Broncos or a trade to someone else who would pay up.

Its all about the money and that is becoming clearer and clearer by the day.

broncos-rock
03-15-2009, 08:49 PM
This is all about money, money and more money! Why does Cutler have to have Bus there at the meeting? Connect the dots, he honestly wants an extension or at least the promise of an extension and he wants it now! I don't understand how some of you can judge Mcdaniels when he hasnt even coached a game, he had no idea this was going to blow up this way and I dont think it would have mattered who Bowlen hired!

Taco John
03-15-2009, 08:52 PM

Yeah. Elway took VERY little criticism. Right.

You're on top of it alright.

Popps
03-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah. Elway took VERY little criticism. Right.

You're on top of it alright.

No, I was just there... and I remember what kind of criticism he took.

Word is that you weren't watching games back then. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

But, you're probably confusing "criticism" with the same idiots that used to call elway a "choker," because he hadn't won a Superbowl. Was that criticism legitimate, too?

Keep stretching it, junior. These situations aren't remotely similar.

GreatBronco16
03-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Pretty much.

I find it highly dubious that the first word out of this was Tampa Bay, where Bus Cook has been more than capable of generating press previously. I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that the only reason teams called about making such a move was because Cook was feeding Tampa and Detroit info that Cutler was getable. His ulterior motive the entire time was for him and Jay to act indignant at the suggestion he could be traded, and use it to leverage a new deal from the Broncos or a trade to someone else who would pay up.

Its all about the money and that is becoming clearer and clearer by the day.

I'd agree with this 110%. Jay wanted to think things were put into motion before the trade talks. Well that's true. Him and his agent put this into motion after Shanny was fired.

rastaman
03-15-2009, 09:00 PM
This is all about money, money and more money! Why does Cutler have to have Bus there at the meeting? Connect the dots, he honestly wants an extension or at least the promise of an extension and he wants it now! I don't understand how some of you can judge Mcdaniels when he hasnt even coached a game, he had no idea this was going to blow up this way and I dont think it would have mattered who Bowlen hired!

The NFL stands for "NOT FOR LONG". Can't blame a player for trying to get what he can whey you consider how violent and career ending injuries can be.

cutman0122
03-15-2009, 09:01 PM

Jeez, I think you're riight Taco, he is drunk!

GreatBronco16
03-15-2009, 09:04 PM
all conversation with Broncos officials must include Cook, who led the discussions in both a conference call last Monday with Broncos officials that included Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis, and in the meeting Saturday at Dove Valley with McDaniels and Xanders.

Jay can't even speak for himself. His agent is the one doing this. Why did the Broncos bring up his level of play in the meeting? Because he just sat there while his agent painted him out to be something he isn't.

**** Jay Cutler and his cry baby ass. I was behind him and wanted him on this team no matter what. Now I just want him and his agent gone. Lets get something for him and move the **** on.

Archer81
03-15-2009, 09:06 PM
He goes he goes. Not the end of the world.

:Broncos:

rastaman
03-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think Cutler is as much as a cry baby as he is using Leverage.....with of course his agents help.

elsid13
03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
all conversation with Broncos officials must include Cook, who led the discussions in both a conference call last Monday with Broncos officials that included Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis, and in the meeting Saturday at Dove Valley with McDaniels and Xanders.

Jay can't even speak for himself. His agent is the one doing this. Why did the Broncos bring up his level of play in the meeting? Because he just sat there while his agent painted him out to be something he isn't.

**** Jay Cutler and his cry baby ass. I was behind him and wanted him on this team no matter what. Now I just want him and his agent gone. Lets get something for him and move the **** on.

Actually having Cook there is very logical if believes that he is to emotionally involved. His agent will ensure that he doesn't say something stupid that will hurt his career.

arghemtee
03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I rather see the Broncos fail WITH Jay Cutler than Jay Cutler succeed without the Broncos.

Anyone else feel the same?

elsid13
03-15-2009, 09:12 PM
All we need to do is have someone make the defense average. That all we needed. Now this........

Meck77
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Everybody is posturing and negotiating with every statement. Pat knows what is coming and he just responded to Cutler in this article.

By him saying "Eh we may lose Jay" it sends a message to Jay that they aren't interested in renegotiating his contract which is what Jay wants. Why Jay doesn't have the balls to just come out and say it is another story.

Finally Orangemane! I think we collectively got it! There are still a few people talking about Jay's feelings but they'll figure it out in the coming weeks.

ol number 7
I don't think Cutler is as much as a cry baby as he is using Leverage.....with of course his agents help.

Where's all the love and loyalty to his teammates Jay talks about. Marshall should grow up to help the team. Huh.
Who in the NFL would trade for this wimp anyhow. Would you want this crybaby as the face of YOUR franchise. Mopey Jay sell your house and go away .

Archer81
I rather see the Broncos fail WITH Jay Cutler than Jay Cutler succeed without the Broncos.

Prefer they not fail at all, actually.

theAPAOps5
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Disgusting.

Blueflame
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Down the road, Jay is going to realize he really screwed the pooch on this one. I wonder if Bus Cook's other clients will start getting the cool response from teams? I think Bus and Jay have really screwed the Broncos over, and I'm surprised by how many Broncos fans support them.

Down the road, Jay may be playing for another franchise, but he'll be laughing all the way to the bank. This is strictly $$... his value on the open market is far more than he'd make if he stays here with his contract as is. Who screwed the pooch was McD; he gave Cutler's agent the valid excuse for doing this.

UberBroncoMan
03-15-2009, 09:15 PM
I'll tell you how you keep Cutler here and what will get him playing...

Since our FO is incapable of proper reconciliation (as is Cutler) they might as well go with the full a-hole strategy.

You tell Cutler that he can sit his ass on the bench and watch his talent rot away for the remainder of his contract. That he will never be traded, and will be retained until the remainder of his contract. On top of that, if he shows any signs of insubordination he will be fined by the team. Further more, he will be banned from all Denver Broncos facilities until such a time that things change.

On top of this he will be informed that he is no longer the starting QB and he can either sit on the bench until he becomes a FA for the 2012 season. Essentially, we will keep his ass on the team and ruin his ability to get a contract by keeping him "out of the NFL" until he is a FA. This would probably click in his head that it would ruin any opportunity for a big FA contract since he'd be 3 years without starting let alone any game day experience.

I guarantee you, even though this is completely ****ed up, it would not only make Cook shut the **** up, but it would get Cutler to deal with the situation and play the game. He's a competitive guy and I know he wouldn't want to see himself rot until age 29. He'd have no choice but to get "with the program."

Regardless, this ****ing issue should have been fixed, from the get-go. It's pathetic it's come to this... and Bowlen has just made things worse with his stupidity.

cutman0122

If this is true, then Jay has been all business all along and noone who called him a baby and pleaded him to see that its a business have nothing to complain about.Hilarious!

Bob's your Information Minister
Get use to it because how badly the Broncos screwed this up is going to be a perennial Broncos topic for years to come.

I actually feel bad for you guys. Something was building, and McDaniels has destroyed it in almost no time whatsoever.

This is like when the Chiefs lost Jared Allen because of our own organizational ego problems...but much worse.

summerdenver
03-15-2009, 09:16 PM
What else is new?

:rofl:

theAPAOps5
Down the road, Jay may be playing for another franchise, but he'll be laughing all the way to the bank. This is strictly $$... his value on the open market is far more than he'd make if he stays here with his contract as is. Who screwed the pooch was McD; he gave Cutler's agent the valid excuse for doing this.

Nope if he doesn't check his child attitude he will be out of the NFL pretty quick. At this point he thinks he is better than he is. Thats always bad news.

RaiderH8r
The Broncos reached out, but it wasn't until after they started playing games with the guy by shutting down communication once the leak became public. Jay should have heard about this through the Broncos first, not anywhere else. If that simple phone call had been made, Jay would have absolutely no friends in this matter.

Now it seems that every time McKid opens his pie hole the situation falls apart. McKid clearly has no ability to manage personalities and players and I have serious doubts about his ability to motivate the rest of this team.

SoCalBronco
03-15-2009, 09:17 PM

Since our FO is incapable of proper reconciliation (as is Cutler) they might as well go with the full a-hole strategy.

You tell Cutler that he can sit his ass on the bench and watch his talent rot away for the remainder of his contract. That he will never be traded, and will be retained until the remainder of his contract. On top of that, if he shows any signs of insubordination he will be fined by the team. On top of this he will be banned from all Denver Broncos facilities until such a time that things change.

On top of this he will be informed that he is no longer the starting QB and he can either sit on the bench until he becomes a FA for the 2012 season. me.

And then on top of that, the Broncos go 4-12 with Chris Simms, become even more of a laughingstock because they no longer have a franchise QB or a recieving TE or a star WR for half a year, start to lose attendance and merchandise money and Bowlen ends up taking even bigger financial losses.

Who's laughing now? You sure showed him, didn't you?

03-15-2009, 09:18 PM

You tell Cutler that he can sit his ass on the bench and watch his talent rot away for the remainder of his contract. That he will never be traded, and will be retained until the remainder of his contract. On top of that, if he shows any signs of insubordination he will be fined by the team. On top of this he will be banned from all Denver Broncos facilities until such a time that things change.

On top of this he will be informed that he is no longer the starting QB and he can either sit on the bench until he becomes a FA for the 2012 season. Essentially, we will keep his ass on the team and ruin his ability to get a contract by keeping him "out of the NFL" until he is a FA. This would probably click in his head that it would ruin any opportunity for a big FA contract since he'd be 3 years without starting let alone any game day experience.

I guarantee you, even though this is completely ****ed up, it would not only make Cook shut the **** up, but it would get Cutler to deal with the situation and play the game.

Likely he would just sit on his ass and collect unearned money. And laugh at the Broncos. And he could always "retire."

broncos-rock
03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
The NFL stands for "NOT FOR LONG". Can't blame a player for trying to get what he can whey you consider how violent and career ending injuries can be.

I get that but he has totally went about this in the wrong way! In the past the Broncos have always taken care of players who have proven their worth on the field and I honestly believe they would have this time as well!

Archer81
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Now it seems that every time McKid opens his pie hole the situation falls apart. McKid clearly has no ability to manage personalities and players and I have serious doubts about his ability to motivate the rest of this team.

Yet the only player we are hearing from is Cutler...

Rohirrim
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM

I would strongly disagree with the use of "valid." He's using what he has, but I'm convinced, if not for this, it would have been something else. Like every retired player has been saying, "Why is Cutler making such a big deal out of this?" I think we all pretty much know why now. As far as laughing all the way to the bank, if Cutler gets traded to Detroit I suggest he invest wisely. With Backus on his blind side he might not last long.

Rohirrim
03-15-2009, 09:20 PM

I guess we'll have to wait until September to know that.

RaiderH8r
03-15-2009, 09:21 PM
All of the sudden Shanny the FO guru isn't looking bad at all. Yeah his moves stank but he didn't unnecessarily hamstring his negotiating position and alienate his star players. This is worse than the Raiders right now.

UberBroncoMan
And then on top of that, the Broncos go 4-12 with Chris Simms, become even more of a laughingstock because they no longer have a franchise QB or a recieving TE or a star WR for half a year, start to lose attendance and merchandise money and Bowlen ends up taking even bigger financial losses.

I've you've read my past posts, I want Cutler here. Do you honestly think I want Chris Simms as our starting QB? Do you think I want to lose one of the best receiving TE's in the NFL (even though he is hurt alot).

Bowlen is inept, and he has no clue how much his stupid ****ing decisions are going to hurt this team.

What HE should have done is step beyond McDaniels and Xanders and personally met with Cutler ALONE... and told him, he WAS his QB, and he WAS STAYING HIS QB.

Bowlen had the balls to can Shanahan, but not enough to put his foot down and end this situation.

He alone had the power to do this, and his stupid statement just crushed that.

Hence, my radical proposal seems to be the only way that Cutler would stay a Bronco and be our starting QB. You'd essentially have to tell him his career is ****ed unless he plays for us, to which he'd have no choice but to play.

Archer81

Or...the Broncos decide to commit to the run, which protects their defense and Simms, and they have a solid season...you know, like the Titans did? But keep pouting about it.

Rohirrim
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I actually feel bad for you guys. Something was building, and McDaniels has destroyed it in almost no time whatsoever.

This is like when the Chiefs lost Jared Allen because of our own organizational ego problems...but much worse.

I always have a hard time accepting the takes of a guy who is peeking out of his own asshole.

Blueflame
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Actually, it's my opinion that Jay wants a new contract and wants to be paid like a Pro Bowl QB. It would suck knowing that your recently-acquired backup was making more money than you. If the Broncos won't pay him, other franchises will be lining up for the opportunity to.

SoCalBronco
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I've you've read my past posts, I want Cutler here. Do you honestly think I want Chris Simms as our starting QB? Do you think I want to lose one of the best receiving TE's in the NFL (even though he is hurt alot).

Bowlen is inept, and he has no clue how much his stupid ****ing decisions are going to hurt this team.

What HE should have done is step beyond McDaniels and Xanders and personally met with Cutler ALONE... and told him, he WAS his QB, and he WAS STAYING HIS QB.

Bowlen had the balls to can Shanahan, but not enough to put his foot down and end this situation.

He alone had the power to do this, and his stupid statement just crushed that.

Hence, my radical proposal seems to be the only way that Cutler would stay a Bronco and be our starting QB. You'd essentially have to tell him his career is ****ed unless he plays for us, to which he'd have no choice but to play.

I agree that Bowlen should have stepped in ALONE earlier, going above McD's head and having a private meeting. That would have been a good idea. Well...he didn't do it. He sat on his ass, had a Jack Daniels, and probably threw it at Annabelle when he was done (thank god she has good short area quickness). The problem, however, with the radical solution you proposed is that it is more of the Macho angle the team is taking. Every time they try the Macho thing, it blows up. This would be taking it to the extreme and Jay would react in the extreme in kind.

UberBroncoMan
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Likely he would just sit on his ass and collect unearned money. And laugh at the Broncos. And he could always "retire."

Bob you're an idiot. This isn't a coaching gig where you can do it for the rest of your life.

Cutler knows if he isn't playing 3 years strait that his next contract is going to be far less than what he would have gotten for actually PLAYING for 3 years.

Right now he's on his rookie contract, not the MEGA ONE.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to think it's smart to sit on ones ass and collect unearned money in the middle of your youth and prime.

He's a competitive guy too, he simply wouldn't be able to do it even if he somehow thought it was a good idea (which it isn't).

Also, if you retire and come back you're contract still belongs to the team... take a look at Favre tard.

Rohirrim
03-15-2009, 09:25 PM
All of the sudden Shanny the FO guru isn't looking bad at all. Yeah his moves stank but he didn't unnecessarily hamstring his negotiating position and alienate his star players. This is worse than the Raiders right now.

Only if you accept the premise that this is all one sided. It isn't.

Blueflame
03-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Nope if he doesn't check his child attitude he will be out of the NFL pretty quick. At this point he thinks he is better than he is. Thats always bad news.

BS. Some QB-hungry team will show him the money.

GreatBronco16
03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
So I see this as Shanny making a promise to Cutler to make him the highest paid QB in the league. Shanny gets canned. His agent finds out that he won't be getting that contract, so his agent starts this whole trading thing. Hmm, yeah but McD is the dumb one here.

Face it. Bowlen and McD were committed to Cutler. They told him that numerous times. But now it's coming to light that Cutler just wants the big payday now instead of next year. If he would have went out and had a big year again, there is no doubt that Xanders and company give him his big pay day.

Oh well, your loss Jay. I hope you go to one of the worse teams in the NFL. You can then watch what use to be your team in the playoffs.

GreatBronco16
03-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I agree that Bowlen should have stepped in ALONE earlier, going above McD's head and having a private meeting. That would have been a good idea. Well...he didn't do it. He sat on his ass, had a Jack Daniels, and probably threw it at Annabelle when he was done (thank god she has good short area quickness). The problem, however, with the radical solution you proposed is that it is more of the Macho angle the team is taking. Every time they try the Macho thing, it blows up. This would be taking it to the extreme and Jay would react in the extreme in kind.

::)

Blueflame
03-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I would strongly disagree with the use of "valid." He's using what he has, but I'm convinced, if not for this, it would have been something else. Like every retired player has been saying, "Why is Cutler making such a big deal out of this?" I think we all pretty much know why now. As far as laughing all the way to the bank, if Cutler gets traded to Detroit I suggest he invest wisely. With Backus on his blind side he might not last long.

By allowing Jay to come in to the office every day to learn the new system (which shows a lot of commitment to the new Broncos HC/front office IMHO)... while secretly "entertaining" offers to trade him, McD/Xanders demonstrated a lack of commitment to Jay as their QB. Can you really blame him for subsequently following his own personal best interests? I can't.

lostknight
03-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Pat Bowlen, Brian Xanders and McDaniels have pretended to be GMs. Now they have blown it.

I'm sorry. I am glad there are a lot of people willing to take the McDaniels line at face value, but it's been obvious that McDaniels lied about things once it became clear how much he was had by the Patriots organization. It's also clear that McDaniel's has mismanaged things from the beginning.

But it was entirely predictable. For example, I mentioned right here that there was going to be a problem:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2250035&postcount=73

Guess it's a rockies year for me.

gyldenlove
03-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Or...the Broncos decide to commit to the run, which protects their defense and Simms, and they have a solid season...you know, like the Titans did? But keep pouting about it.

Who do you want running the ball? any of the 7 runningbacks that went on IR last year? The Titans have drafted RB in the one of the top 2 rounds, the last 3 consecutive years, not a wonder they can tote the rock.

How would make our defense as good as the titans when we have to spend 3 first day picks on defense?

We could go with the run the same way Cleveland did, fat lot of good it did them, or how about Oakland? I think we should run the ball like Oakland.

Hamrob
03-15-2009, 09:36 PM
This is all about money, money and more money! Why does Cutler have to have Bus there at the meeting? Connect the dots, he honestly wants an extension or at least the promise of an extension and he wants it now! I don't understand how some of you can judge Mcdaniels when he hasnt even coached a game, he had no idea this was going to blow up this way and I dont think it would have mattered who Bowlen hired!This is so hypocrytical! So, everyone says that Jay need to grow up and understand that its just a business.

Well...guess what folks? Jay truly understands that its just a business. Looks like he's going to try and get what he can get...when he can get it. Looks like he's all about business to me!

03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Cutler knows if he isn't playing 3 years strait that his next contract is going to be far less than what he would have gotten for actually PLAYING for 3 years.

There's no way the Broncos would ignore him for 3 years. No way.

Also, if you retire and come back you're contract still belongs to the team... take a look at Favre tard.

I could be wrong but when Favre came back, did the Packers actually have to agree to trade him? I thought they were just compensated when the Jets signed him.

Rohirrim
03-15-2009, 09:41 PM
By allowing Jay to come in to the office every day to learn the new system (which shows a lot of commitment to the new Broncos HC/front office IMHO)... while secretly "entertaining" offers to trade him, McD/Xanders demonstrated a lack of commitment to Jay as their QB. Can you really blame him for subsequently following his own personal best interests? I can't.

There is more about this that I don't know, than what I know. I don't know what was going on between Jay and McD. I have no idea. I don't know what was said by either party. All I can do is take the info I get from sources I trust. One guy I've trusted for years when it comes to the Broncos is Shefter. The picture you paint is not the one he reported. IMO, a lot of axes are being ground here. Some of the same people who were the most upset about Shanahan getting fired are now the same people cursing McD and calling Bowlen every lowball, no class name in the book. I kind of like Bowlen. He did a lot to bring two Lombardis to this town. I also believe that the evidence supports that clearly, the Broncos tried to bring Jay in and talk it out. Jay didn't want any part of that. Add to the whole mess that his agent is famous for this same kind of bull**** negotiation tactic. The picture starts to clear up. It is my opinion that Bus and Jay started working on this the minute Shanahan and Bates went out the door.

Archer81
03-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Who do you want running the ball? any of the 7 runningbacks that went on IR last year? The Titans have drafted RB in the one of the top 2 rounds, the last 3 consecutive years, not a wonder they can tote the rock.

How would make our defense as good as the titans when we have to spend 3 first day picks on defense?

We could go with the run the same way Cleveland did, fat lot of good it did them, or how about Oakland? I think we should run the ball like Oakland.

Cry a little louder. It suits you.

Blueflame
03-15-2009, 09:55 PM
There is more about this that I don't know, than what I know. I don't know what was going on between Jay and McD. I have no idea. I don't know what was said by either party. All I can do is take the info I get from sources I trust. One guy I've trusted for years when it comes to the Broncos is Shefter. The picture you paint is not the one he reported. IMO, a lot of axes are being ground here. Some of the same people who were the most upset about Shanahan getting fired are now the same people cursing McD and calling Bowlen every lowball, no class name in the book. I kind of like Bowlen. He did a lot to bring two Lombardis to this town. I also believe that the evidence supports that clearly, the Broncos tried to bring Jay in and talk it out. Jay didn't want any part of that. Add to the whole mess that his agent is famous for this same kind of bull**** negotiation tactic. The picture starts to clear up. It is my opinion that Bus and Jay started working on this the minute Shanahan and Bates went out the door.

If this were true, wouldn't Jay have been off on vacation, visiting family and having fun instead of going in to Dove Valley every day to try to get to know McD and Xanders and to familiarize himself with a new offensive system... time that in retrospect appears to have been unappreciated by the brass and wasted, btw...

No... something happened (McD showed by "entertaining" trade offers that he's not committed to working with Jay) to change things. This is McD's doing....

gyldenlove
03-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Cry a little louder. It suits you.

I am sorry you feel that way, but being a realist it is very hard to be enthusiastic about this situation right now.

Broncoman13
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
If this were true, wouldn't Jay have been off on vacation, visiting family and having fun instead of going in to Dove Valley every day to try to get to know McD and Xanders and to familiarize himself with a new offensive system... time that in retrospect appears to have been unappreciated by the brass and wasted, btw...

No... something happened (McD showed by "entertaining" trade offers that he's not committed to working with Jay) to change things. This is McD's doing....

He doesn't want to look at facts, they only get in the way. He wasn't willing to admit that Cutler could have found out that he was the subject of trade talks from the franchise that was seeking to gain his employment. I mean, if I were about to give up a couple of picks/players and potentially have to sign a guy to a $100m contract, I'd probably want to know if he was at least open to it. But that's tampering and it would never happen in the NFL... Oh no, they just made up tampering rules just in case. :spit:

SureShot
03-16-2009, 12:28 AM
nb4merge.

Popps
03-16-2009, 12:37 AM

Again, I STILL would like to see Cutler back. I really would.

So, while I may have an axe to grind in the sense that I'm happy we moved on from Shanahan (despite being a big fan of his) ... my only axe to grind with Cutler was his mopey-Jay mode. I still wanted him in Denver, and wanted him to succeed. Sorry, I still DO. (Present tense.)

That said, this is so obvious... if people aren't understanding, it's because like you said, it's because they don't WANT to understand.

Jay Cutler and Bus Cook had a a plan and executed it. The trade leak may have given them their opportunity, but they had a plan. It's just so painful to hear Jay's routine about wanting to stay in Denver.

It's like listening to a kid say a dog at his homework. It's almost cute.

Yea, Jay reeeeeeealy wanted to stay. That's why he refused to meet with the coach in person, then brought a sleaze-**** agent with him... and now is demanding a trade, despite the organization saying they want him to stay.

Yea, Jay is just dying to play in Denver.

You folks crying for this guy are just being hoodwinked by a savvy agent and a QB with an out of control ego.

Broncos_OTM
03-16-2009, 06:56 AM
So let me get this straight. he was mad that they went "behind his back" and tried to trade him. he just wanted to have someone be straight up to him. then when McD said well i wanted cassell he crys trade me. good grief

FADERPROOF
03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
People hear other people make bad analogies and just jump on board. I'd bet 90% of the people throwing around that silly comparison weren't even old enough to remember the games, at that point.

Best thing about the Elway-Cutler comparisons when Elway and Reeves had their fallout is that Cutler has been in the league 3 years and posted a 17-20 record with no playoff appearances while Elway had been in the league 10 years been a top 3, or even top, QB in the league with 3 Super Bowl trips under his belt.

Yeah, shocked that Elway got his way and the Broncos showed Reeves the door and completely shocked that Denver would side with management in Cutler's case.

lex
03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Best thing about the Elway-Cutler comparisons when Elway and Reeves had their fallout is that Cutler has been in the league 3 years and posted a 17-20 record with no playoff appearances while Elway had been in the league 10 years been a top 3, or even top, QB in the league with 3 Super Bowl trips under his belt.

Yeah, shocked that Elway got his way and the Broncos showed Reeves the door and completely shocked that Denver would side with management in Cutler's case.

You could say the same thing about McDaniels and Reeves. Reeves also had 3 SB trips under his belt while McDaniels hasnt even won a game as a head coach. But regardless of that, the defense is more at fault for the 17-20 than Cutler. Cutler has produced.

jutang
03-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Bowlen was very short sighted when he canned Shanahan. He decides there needs to be change. Fine. He's the leader and has to make a very difficult decision.

I'm surprised Bowlen was so caught off guard about the power vacuum once Shanahan left. I thought Bowlen would be more hands on and at first seemed like it at the beginning when he actively interviewed and helped choose McDaniels. Afterward he steps back from the spot light. The Goodman/Xanders struggle proceeds forcing him to let go of the Goodmans followed by the proverbial clusterf@ck involving Cutler. This entire time he's stayed in the background until now and he's "disappointing he may lose the star QB."

Bowlen seems to be doing his best Rumsfield impersonation since getting rid of Shanahan.

broncosteven
03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
You could say the same thing about McDaniels and Reeves. Reeves also had 3 SB trips under his belt while McDaniels hasnt even won a game as a head coach. But regardless of that, the defense is more at fault for the 17-20 than Cutler. Cutler has produced.

But MickyD is 32 and knows how to run a Franchise after only 2-3 years as an OC and got schooled in one of the biggest upset SB's of ALL TIME!

But, but, but MickyD will win! Because...

SJ Bronco
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
McWannabe is gonna get owned this year.....Mark the tread, I said it, this guy is a born loser, he'll be coaching in detroit, KC, Oakland, or Cincy in three years.... in the meantime, 8-40 over the next three years. Bottom feeders. The lions will be laughing at us.