PDA

View Full Version : Give Elvis Dumervil a new contract now

montrose
03-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I've been relatively outspoken over the past two years that Doom has been overrated by many Broncos fans. Nothing against him personally, I just felt he was poorly misused by the coaching staff and best served in a nickle rush capacity. However, considering his enthusiasm about the new coaching staff, stated enthusiasm about shifting roles and pleasant professionalism in recent interviews with the Post, Sirius and his blog at DenverBroncos.com.

In the light of all that's going on, I think it would be a great show of faith to give Dumervil a new deal now. It would show that players who are buying into the system and doing the right thing will be rewarded. Considering he's coming off a bit of a down year, I think we can get him for less than after this year if Nolan uses him as a nickle rusher and (as I expect) his sack totals go back up.

Thoughts?

SoCalBronco
03-15-2009, 05:27 PM
So simply because they line up behind the coaching staff they deserve a new deal?

Dumervil should get a new deal when he demonstrates he can be a good 3-4 OLB. I think he can, but he has to show it first. Showing that he's siding with McD after putting his finger in the air to feel which way the wind is blowing doesnt merit a new contract. Play merits a new contract.

SureShot
03-15-2009, 05:27 PM
So now we are going to pay players for being nice instead of performance? I love Doom and I wouldn't mind him being extended, but because extend him because he likes Josh? I think they should sign you and Apa istead. It would be alot cheaper.

24champ
03-15-2009, 05:40 PM
So now we are going to pay players for being nice instead of performance? I love Doom and I wouldn't mind him being extended, but because extend him because he likes Josh? I think they should sign you and Apa istead. It would be alot cheaper.

hmmmmm....

http://media.scout.com/Media/NFL/157473_bowlenplummerpress.JPG

montrose
03-15-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm not saying he should get a new deal solely based on his great attitude, also so we can get him cheaper than we might next year. Similar to what Xanders did with DJ last summer.

SoCalBronco
03-15-2009, 05:42 PM

Go get treatment.

Man-Goblin
03-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Why treat it when you can just comb it over?

24champ
03-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Go get treatment.

http://photos.upi.com/yview/0b79ae53721fb051e9a9e807ca210cb8/Denver_Broncos_fire_head_coach_Shanahan.jpg

"I called this press conference to announce that I will be selling the team...and will be checking into the Betty Ford Clinic..."

SoCalBronco
03-15-2009, 05:51 PM
http://photos.upi.com/yview/0b79ae53721fb051e9a9e807ca210cb8/Denver_Broncos_fire_head_coach_Shanahan.jpg

"I called this press conference to announce that I will be selling the team...and will be checking into the Betty Ford Clinic..."

That would be a great day.

I actually feel bad for him. He has been a great owner. He's spared no expense and has worked hard to make the team the best they could be. In many ways he was the ideal owner. It's too bad that he's just a shell of his former self now. Unable to prevent the smallest of things from snowballing into disasters. Unable to think rationally. It's really sad to see the tragic effects of alcoholism. It's really, really sad.

montrose
03-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Go get treatment.

Maybe Jay can join him.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/10/Jay_Cutler_Beer_Pong.jpg

SureShot
03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Maybe Jay can join him.

A 25 year playing darts at a bar. The HORROR!

oubronco
03-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Mcdaniels is already working on a trade to trade him behind his back

I hate Mcdaniels

24champ
03-15-2009, 06:22 PM

He should be at ****ing church.

SureShot
03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
He should be at ****ing church.

No thats a church I could attend.

Popps
03-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Elvis is a great situational player who may end up being even more effective under the new regime. I really can't wait to see him have a shot at OLB. (If he does indeed get a shot.)

Now is a great time to extend him, as his numbers dropped off last year.

I agree, it would be a great show of faith for a productive player who is also said to be a great team guy.

Still, I think the staff will have to evaluate him in the defense, first.

24champ
03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
No thats a church I could attend.

Jay attends Church of Cougars in Heat.

http://www.blacktie-colorado.com/premiere_parties/pics/6d4e4a939a3ad0af6b5fa849d8e9a7ac.jpg

theAPAOps5
03-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Look another ALF and SoCal circle jerk, lame.

TheReverend
03-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Look another ALF and SoCal circle jerk, lame.

Meanwhile, you're rubbing yourself with the likes of Popps and Heav and Wolf... :thumbsup:

theAPAOps5
03-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Meanwhile, you're rubbing yourself with the likes of Popps and Heav and Wolf... :thumbsup:

And Meck and Bronx, and Montrose, and Kaylore. Should I stop or keep going?

TheReverend
03-15-2009, 06:52 PM
And Meck and Bronx, and Montrose, and Kaylore. Should I stop or keep going?

Meck and Bronx wanted change and are getting it in quantity. Kaylore's forever the optimist. Montrose, now that's just funny.

theAPAOps5
03-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Meck and Bronx wanted change and are getting it in quantity. Kaylore's forever the optimist. Montrose, now that's just funny.

Oh I forgot you think he doesn't know anything because he disagrees with you. So sorry....

montrose
03-15-2009, 06:56 PM

I think you know what that shot was eluding too. We have as much (or more) evidence that Jay has a drinking issue than Bowlen. Only Jay happens to be an active player and a diabetic.

TheReverend
03-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Oh I forgot you think he doesn't know anything because he disagrees with you. So sorry....

No. You know exactly why. If you'd like to make that public, go ahead

theAPAOps5
03-15-2009, 07:01 PM
No. You know exactly why. If you'd like to make that public, go ahead

Nope thats one thing I will not do and you know that. You can say a lot to me but accuse me of what you did takes the cake. Go **** off asshole.

barryr
03-15-2009, 07:01 PM
It would not be wise to extend the contract of someone who will need to make a position switch(and it's not a small change either) until he shows he can be effective. Smart teams at least don't do that.

TheReverend
03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Nope thats one thing I will not do and you know that. You can say a lot to me but accuse me of what you did takes the cake. Go **** off a-hole.

Accuse you of what? Circle jerk? I'm pretty sure you started that comparison...

SureShot
03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
I think you know what that shot was eluding too. We have as much (or more) evidence that Jay has a drinking issue than Bowlen. Only Jay happens to be an active player and a diabetic.

Drinking issue. I would like you to define that one. Whatever Jay does on his own time is his business. Like I said when starts getting in trouble and stops going to the Pro Bowl then it will be an issue.

montrose
03-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm very confused here.

TheReverend
03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
You said bring something public, thats BS that has nothing to do with ALF and SoCAL going from thread to thread repeating themselves over and over again, thats what I meant by circle jerk. It would be like me following popps around saying right on yeah you know it.

You've completely misunderstood me then. Check other info.

montrose
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Drinking issue. I would like you to define that one. Whatever Jay does on his own time is his business. Like I said when starts getting in trouble and stops going to the Pro Bowl then it will be an issue.

Going to the Pro Bowl is a bit overrated to me, seeing guys like David Anderson and Vince Young have been in recent years. Anyhow, while I'm a bit concerned about Cutler's habits considering his diabetes - for me it was more to point that while we like to joke about Bowlen's drinking, Cutler may have a problem too.

That's all.

theAPAOps5
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
You've completely misunderstood me then. Check other info.

Ok I misunderstood.

summerdenver
03-15-2009, 07:17 PM

Yes that was stupid. So instead of teaching him or helping him mature, which by the way will benefit both the broncos and Jay, lets make him pay for it by painting as a bad boy.

When I was younger I did lot of stupid things like that. Once I partied till 3 a.m., slept for a couple of hours, showed up at the trail head to meet my friends and hiked Lincoln, Democrat and Bross. I did not have anything in my house for lunch - all I had on me was a couple of power bars and bag of carrots.

I am not trying equate hiking a 14,000 ft mountain to playing football or anything like that just to say most of us have done stupid things when we were young.

SureShot
03-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Going to the Pro Bowl is a bit overrated to me, seeing guys like David Anderson and Vince Young have been in recent years. Anyhow, while I'm a bit concerned about Cutler's habits considering his diabetes - for me it was more to point that while we like to joke about Bowlen's drinking, Cutler may have a problem too.

That's all.

I would recommend not worrying about players personal lives off the field unless you are into People Magazine as well.

montrose
03-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Yes that was stupid. So instead of teaching him or helping him mature, which by the way will benefit both the broncos and Jay, lets make him pay for it by painting as a bad boy.

When I was younger I did lot of stupid things like that. Once I partied till 3 a.m., slept for a couple of hours, showed up at the trail head to meet my friends and hiked Lincoln, Democrat and Bross. I did not have anything in my house for lunch - all I had on me was a couple of power bars and bag of carrots.

I am not trying equate hiking a 14,000 ft mountain to playing football or anything like that just to say most of us have done stupid things when we were young.

I completely agree. While I haven't agreed with how Cutler's managed this scenario, I haven't tried to paint him as a bad guy. I certainly have my doubts about him, but I'm unquestionably disappointing that he may be gone. Shoot I have a picture with the guy from Fan Fair above my mantle!

Part of me was hoping this would motivate him to come in play his butt off and clean up his act off the field. Unfortunately, we may not get the chance to see it happen.

I would recommend not worrying about players personal lives off the field unless you are into People Magazine as well.

If he weren't diabetic and the stories weren't of him partying the night before games I could care less what these dudes do off the field. I obviously could be wrong, but my gut told me that it was effecting Jay's play a bit down the stretch during home games.

rugbythug
03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Jay's Play has not been so stellar so as to insulate himself from any and all Critiques. He has been great at times. But he has been absolutely terrible at other times. He makes some throws that make you stand up and clap and others that make you shake your head. But the one thing he has shown to have done is quite. He has quite in many games. Deny it if you want but every bronco fan in here has seen it. And now rather than show McDaniels how wrong he was he is quitting again. Winners are not quitters.

SureShot
03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Jay's Play has not been so stellar so as to insulate himself from any and all Critiques. He has been great at times. But he has been absolutely terrible at other times. He makes some throws that make you stand up and clap and others that make you shake your head. But the one thing he has shown to have done is quite. He has quite in many games. Deny it if you want but every bronco fan in here has seen it. And now rather than show McDaniels how wrong he was he is quitting again. Winners are not quitters.

Oh this is rich. Can I get that list of games please?

montrose
03-15-2009, 07:40 PM

Well I'm not sure which games Rugby was referring to, but I didn't think Jay played his best games in the KC loss, NE, Mia, Oak loss, Car, Buf and SD loss.

rugbythug
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Did you watch the last game of the season?

SureShot
03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Well I'm not sure which games Rugby was referring to, but I didn't think Jay his best games in the KC loss, NE, Mia, Oak loss, Car, Buf and SD loss.

I see has changed his stance to quitting in blow out games in another thread, but I would like to see his list as well.

theAPAOps5
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I see has changed his stance to quitting in blow out games in another thread, but I would like to see his list as well.

Man someone just dropped a Dillweed slam. I haven't heard that in a LONG time. We might need to go 80's retro!

Rock Chalk
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Maybe Jay can join him.

HAhaha Jay Cutler looks like Gilligan.

SureShot
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Did you watch the last game of the season?

He is such a quitter yet you only list one game. Ok I'll play, at what point in the game did you decide Cutler had quit?

SureShot
03-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Man someone just dropped a Dillweed slam. I haven't heard that in a LONG time. We might need to go 80's retro!

What? Where? Damn there is just too much **** going on and I have to be on the lookout for the next Pats disappointed thread.

rugbythug
03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
He is such a quitter yet you only list one game. Ok I'll play, at what point in the game did you decide Cutler had quit?

How many games do you need to quit in to be a quitter? Well one Actually. Think of it this way. You only need to F elate one guy to be a **********.

But he also quit in the Patsies game too. Those are the two that stood out. There was a couple last year though.

Number of games I remember the Duke quitting in?-- Not one.

montrose
03-15-2009, 08:48 PM
It would not be wise to extend the contract of someone who will need to make a position switch(and it's not a small change either) until he shows he can be effective. Smart teams at least don't do that.

I don't know how much of a position change we'll see from Doom. They'll probably give him a try at OLB but I expect to see him used as a nickle DE from the 4-man line that Nolan used in SF. Essentially it's a return to the role Doom had his rookie year, only playing on 3rd downs - doing what he does best, rush the passer from the RDE spot and taking him away from the beatings he took the last two seasons on running downs. If Nolan uses him this way, which I think he will, I think a return to double-digit sacks will be on the horizon for Doom.

vancejohnson82
03-15-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't know how much of a position change we'll see from Doom. They'll probably give him a try at OLB but I expect to see him used as a nickle DE from the 4-man line that Nolan used in SF. Essentially it's a return to the role Doom had his rookie year, only playing on 3rd downs - doing what he does best, rush the passer from the RDE spot and taking him away from the beatings he took the last two seasons on running downs. If Nolan uses him this way, which I think he will, I think a return to double-digit sacks will be on the horizon for Doom.

I think the same thing....he's in for a big year this year...part of the reason we should extend him now

montrose
03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I think the same thing....he's in for a big year this year...part of the reason we should extend him now

Exactly! That was the point of the thread. I think his attitude is just a plus on top of that.