PDA

View Full Version : For NFL players, numbers don’t add up

Bronco Yoda
03-14-2009, 01:33 PM
For NFL players, numbers don’t add up

Sports Illustrated published a series of charts, graphs and information titled “Where the Money Goes” in their “Where Are They Now” issue earlier this summer.

Having spent the past nine years negotiating and managing player payroll in the NFL for the Green Bay Packers, I was startled to compare pay ranges in the NFL with those in Major League Baseball and the NBA.

At the Packers, we had player costs (excluding benefits) averaging slightly more than $100 million during the past few years. NFL payrolls in 2007 ranged from $86 million to $126 million with an average of about $107 million a team. (Note the league as a whole was spending beneath the $109 million salary cap.)

With four times the number of players in the NBA and more than twice the number of players in MLB, the NFL looks downright miserly compared with those two leagues. ...

... http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/59805?utm_source=sbj_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headlineslink&utm_campaign=sbjemail

(I know it's six months old but ran across it again today. A reminder to myself to teach my boys Baseball and Golf 8')

Rock Chalk
03-14-2009, 01:45 PM
NFL has 16 games a season.

MLB has 162.

NBA has 82.

NBA has fewer fans per game but has a crapload of games and few players on a roster to pay.

MLB has so many games during the middle of the week that most times a stadium only has as many people as an NBA game but they have nearly twice as many games and night games in big markets are many times sellouts.

The numbers dont add up because the NFL despite its marketing and stuff, cannot bring in as much money because there are only 16 games a year for each team gauranteed.

lazarus4444
03-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Exactly what rock chalk said, nice call.

DaFace
03-14-2009, 02:31 PM
NFL has 16 games a season.

MLB has 162.

NBA has 82.

NBA has fewer fans per game but has a crapload of games and few players on a roster to pay.

MLB has so many games during the middle of the week that most times a stadium only has as many people as an NBA game but they have nearly twice as many games and night games in big markets are many times sellouts.

The numbers dont add up because the NFL despite its marketing and stuff, cannot bring in as much money because there are only 16 games a year for each team gauranteed.

Yep. Not to mention the numbers of players on a team are much smaller in MLB and the NBA.

DaFace
03-14-2009, 02:36 PM
NFL: $7 billion in revenue, 1696 players --> $4.1 million per player (in revenues)
MLB: $6 billion in revenue, 750 players --> $8 million per player (in revenues)
NBA: $3.6 billion in revenue, 450 players --> $8 million per player (in revenues)

I guess I don't see how the "numbers don't add up."