PDA

View Full Version : OT- Starting a garden

brncs_fan
03-14-2009, 06:10 AM
So I have been thinking about starting a garden this year to help cut costs on some of the produce that we buy and to have a little summer project. I have ordered some seed catalogs I am starting to get and idea of what I want to grow.

Anybody have any good tips or tricks that they would like to share with myself and anyone else looking into the hobbie/trade?

broncogary
03-14-2009, 06:20 AM
You can get free fertilizer here at the Mane.

theAPAOps5
03-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Start composting your scraps, home made fertilizer.

Broncoman13
03-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Keep Jay Cutler and Josh McDaniels away from your garden. They have a special ability to make anything look like Shiat in just a few weeks!

Cito Pelon
03-14-2009, 07:44 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=67801&highlight=gardening+thread

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=56995&highlight=gardening+thread

I haven't started on my garden yet. Last freeze is mid-May, so planting is a ways away.

First, have you ever grown vegetables before?

brncs_fan
03-14-2009, 07:00 PM
First, have you ever grown vegetables before?

Nope. That is why I am looking for some help.

jpmclane
03-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I had me a little veggie garden last year, was somewhat successful. I live in Maryland. I planted cucumbers, tomatoes, yellow squash, green peppers, red peppers, eggplants. The squash was very successful, had squash 2-3 times a week. Cucumbers were pretty successful, the rest were average. I went to a local nursey and bought the pre-grown plants, did not use seeds. I think I probably broke even on what I spent and what I got out of it.

broncosteven
03-14-2009, 07:20 PM
We also put in a small "Victory garden" or "recession garden" last year.

I do alot of gardening with flowers, trees, and bushes but not a lot with food.

I would put in tomatoes, Herbs, cucumbers, radishes, sweet corn if you have room.

We tried Pumpkins but they were in a bad place.

Our Sunflowers both broke in a thunderstorm.

Apa is right about composting.

This year I am going to try to mix in some veggies with the flowers. I hate paying $10 for a freaking pumpkin.

Don't be surprised if you get a tiny harvest. It takes a few years to figure out what works. but it is fun being outside and learning something new. Great sense of accomplishment.