PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels has called a mandatory team meeting for Monday

montrose
03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Heard this yesterday on the radio, confirmed in the Post -

"On Monday, McDaniels is meeting with the full team, at least as it stands now. All players have been told to attend."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11910135

UberBroncoMan
03-14-2009, 12:29 AM
O snap... the day of reckoning is upon us!

cutthemdown
03-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Can't wait for the Broncos to get to work so we can over analyze ever tidbit from OTA'S to minicamps (we get extra because new coach) to training camp.

Man that doesn't even include the draft. They (nfl) truly have sucked us 365 days a yr for a mere 20 weeks of thrill.

Hopefully Cutler steps up, becomes a team leader for Mcdaniels. Cutler proving he can put football over grudges would only further his value and his career. If he does wan't a trade at some point it only helps him to have a reputation that he stopped whinning and played hard for his coach regardless.

Elway hated Reeves at the end but still sold out every play. It's about not letting teammates down, not letting yourself down. Hey Cutler don't bite off your arm to spite Mcdaniels face. Have a great yr and show the new coach why the old coach thought you were the answer.

phisig150
03-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Cutler is either gone or has a disappointing year.

BroncoMan4ever
03-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Can't wait for the Broncos to get to work so we can over analyze ever tidbit from OTA'S to minicamps (we get extra because new coach) to training camp.

Man that doesn't even include the draft. They (nfl) truly have sucked us 365 days a yr for a mere 20 weeks of thrill.

Hopefully Cutler steps up, becomes a team leader for Mcdaniels. Cutler proving he can put football over grudges would only further his value and his career. If he does wan't a trade at some point it only helps him to have a reputation that he stopped whinning and played hard for his coach regardless.

Elway hated Reeves at the end but still sold out every play. It's about not letting teammates down, not letting yourself down. Hey Cutler don't bite off your arm to spite Mcdaniels face. Have a great yr and show the new coach why the old coach thought you were the answer.

the way i see it, Elway played for himself and his teammates when he hated Reeves, and Cutler can do the same thing.

in a way, even though i am disgusted by McDaniels stupidity, i am slightly happy that the players aren't going to be friends with the coaches. defensive players last season talked about Slowik like he was one of the guys, Shanahan and Bates coddled Jay and the rest of the young offensive players so much that some of them are still immature.

i just hope Jay shows up, we get passed this and a new sense of discipline and intensity is instilled in the players.

UberBroncoMan
03-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Cutler is either gone or has a disappointing year.

Oh come on... absolutly no positive possibility?

Popps
03-14-2009, 01:36 AM
the way i see it, Elway played for himself and his teammates when he hated Reeves, and Cutler can do the same thing.

Quit comparing this kid to Elway. He hasn't won a ****ing thing.

Right now, he's a snotty malcontent who has a good arm. You can talk about Elway in retrospect, but why choose him as your example?

How about the other 90% of players with attitude problems that don't pan out?
Why does your math rely on the small percentage of malcontents that deliver for their franchises?

In other words, yes... on the surface...he may seem similar to John. He also seems similar to a very large MAJORITY of these types that don't pan out.

Oh, and his arm isn't as strong as Elway's, either. I've watched every single pass both of those guys threw as pros, and it's just not.

For the record.

Hulamau
03-14-2009, 01:40 AM
This meeting was in the works since the day McD took office. He said then he would first address the entire team as a whole in mid-March at the beginning of off season workouts, nothing special about this meeting per se, nor was it called for anything to do with the JayFit issue. The Jay drama just so happens to play out with this meeting as a natural trigger.

Mr Chatterboodamn
03-14-2009, 01:40 AM

Right now, he's a snotty malcontent who has a good arm. You can talk about Elway in retrospect, but why choose him as your example?

Why does your math rely on the small percentage of malcontents that deliver for their franchises?

In other words, yes... on the surface...he may seem similar to John. He also seems similar to a very large MAJORITY of these types that don't pan out.

Oh, and his arm isn't as strong as Elway's, either. I've watched every single pass both of those guys threw as pros, and it's just not.

For the record.

sad

arghemtee
03-14-2009, 01:53 AM

For the record.

What did Elway win when he was drafted and threw a bitch fit about playing for Baltimore?

You sound worse than Cutler complaining (or crying) about McDaniels.

extralife
03-14-2009, 02:08 AM
Popps, why do you always hate our team.

lazarus4444
03-14-2009, 02:17 AM
Popps doesn't hate the team. He's one of the few level headed posters here regarding this mcjay situation. This is all some serious BS and very unfitting for a classy Denver Broncos Football Club. I want it over soon, either way. I also don't like the way Cutler handles himself, he needs to improve that big time. He has serious image problems.

NYBronco
03-14-2009, 03:55 AM
What's important here is the "mandatory" meeting McDaniels called and the reason why it was called.

It will be interesting to see who reports and who doesn't.

Rohirrim
03-14-2009, 04:18 AM
What's important here is the "mandatory" meeting McDaniels called and the reason why it was called.

It will be interesting to see who reports and who doesn't.

That's easy. The players who want to play for the Broncos will report. The players who want to get cut or traded will not report.

NYBronco
03-14-2009, 04:50 AM
That's easy. The players who want to play for the Broncos will report. The players who want to get cut or traded will not report.

That's the way I see it and also a challenge to the disgruntled players to show their true intentions. It's unfortunate McDaniels had to do it this way.

Killericon
03-14-2009, 05:04 AM
This makes me happy.

brncs_fan
03-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Any chance that everyone shows up, Jay and McD go for a walk at sunset holding hands and all of this nonsense goes away so we can stop having 4,000 threads on the issue?

400HZ
03-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Any chance that everyone shows up, Jay and McD go for a walk at sunset holding hands and all of this nonsense goes away so we can stop having 4,000 threads on the issue?

Not if coach McDouche keeps talking to Jay the Chosen One about bull**** like cutting down turnovers and playing within the system. F that. Jay does what Jay wants and if anyone tells him otherwise then we have a problem. Doesn't McDouche know who he's talking to?

http://www.leisurelasvegas.net/forum/images/smilies/laughingoldpeople.jpg

theAPAOps5
03-14-2009, 06:13 AM
this is ameet the new coach meeting. Nothing to read into unless Cutler doesn't show up.

Northman
03-14-2009, 06:23 AM

For the record.

You did see who he quoted right? Cutt is the one who brought up Reeves and Elway and he was just responding too it.

lostknight
03-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Seriously, this is getting old. By making this a mandatory meeting, all McDaniels has done here is made it into a power play with him and Cutler.

Get over the pissing contest already Cutler and McDaniels. It's getting really really old.

DarkHorse
03-14-2009, 06:32 AM
this is ameet the new coach meeting. Nothing to read into unless Cutler doesn't show up.

I will be shocked, and happy, if he shows.

dsmoot
03-14-2009, 06:35 AM
What did Elway win when he was drafted and threw a b**** fit about playing for Baltimore?

Go back and read the conditions around his refusal to play for Baltimore. Elway did not throw a fit. He had nothing against the city of Baltimore and without a single circumstance would have played there. That circumstance was Frank Kush. Jack Elway knew Kush. He knew the worst thing for the development of John was to play under Kush. Kush had a way about him that destroyed players confidence rather than build them up. Especially, in the critical 2 to 3 years of a young QB's development cycle. The Elway's used the leverage they had available to keep from the disaster they saw ahead.

Google or Wikipedia about Kush. He did not have that love/hate relationship that Bobby Knight had with his players. He was sincerely hated by most. He was like Vince Lombardi without compassion. Although successful at ASU, he left carnage behind. Whereas, Woody Hayes was an enigma for what happened during his coaching career. Frank Kush was Frank Kush.

The decision did not play well at the time. History vindicates the Elways. Elway never gave evidence of the me first attitude he was accused of in this situation. He was a loyal and respected player throughout his career in Denver, even later during the Reeves situation.

baja
03-14-2009, 06:39 AM

<b>Oh, and his arm isn't as strong as Elway's, either. I've watched every single pass both of those guys threw as pros, and it's just not.

For the record.

Wow you must have some damn good eyes...

elsid13
03-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Wow you must have some damn good eyes...

He trained them well watching football on TV for the last 40 years.

baja
03-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Perhaps he has a helper?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ukXaQsWTJrI/SI6gW7G0o2I/AAAAAAAABnI/Q3OBQ8EXqZA/s320/GoogleEyes.jpg

Crushisback
03-14-2009, 07:33 AM
A week after Broncos quarterback Jay <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_15_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%">Cutlerhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif</NOBR> (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) and coach Josh McDaniels reportedly experienced a deterioration of their relationship during a conference call, Cutler is expected to attend a team meeting at the outset of the team’s offseason program.
According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, a source close to Cutler (the name of the source possibly rhymes with “Pus Book”) said that Cutler “most likely will attend (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11910135)” the first team meeting of McDaniels’ tenure.
Though Klis reports that all players have been told to show for the meeting, it’s unclear whether this is among the few “mandatory” offseason activities. Typically, the mandatory events come much later in the offseason, and involve on-field practice sessions in helmets and underwear.
In March, the focus is strength and conditioning.
So if the session isn’t mandatory, Cutler isn’t required to be there.
Meanwhile, Klis addresses Friday’s news that Cutler has placed his Denver-area house on the market. And, frankly, we disagree with Klis’s assessment that the development is meaningless. Even if Cutler has been planning to sell the thing from the day he bought it, the fact that it went on the market in the wake of Monday’s call with McDaniels tells us that Cutler was, at a minimum, trying to rouse some rabble.
The only other explanation is that Cutler was completely clueless as to the potential impact that the move would have.
One thing we’re all seeming to forget here is that Cutler’s agent — the guy whose name rhymes with “Pus Book” — was in the eye of last year’s Brett <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_25_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%">Favrehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif</NOBR> (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) fiasco. So it’s only fair to assume that he has had a hand in every move Cutler is making, and we’re also prepared also to assume that the guy whose name rhymes with “Pus Book” came up with the idea to do one of the few things in Cutler’s power to send a message to the masses (and 31 other NFL teams) regarding his desire to get out of town.
It’s the kind of “let’s f–k with ‘em” thing that folks who are squabbling with each other tend to do, and at this point it would be a surprise to us if more ugliness doesn’t emerge from the McDaniels-Cutler relationship.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Heard this yesterday on the radio, confirmed in the Post -

"On Monday, McDaniels is meeting with the full team, at least as it stands now. All players have been told to attend."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11910135

It can't be mandatory. This is a voluntary minicamp.

Broncos_OTM
03-14-2009, 08:11 AM

For the record.Popps for all your grumbling about people putting words in your mouth you sure seem to be doing the same thing. He was comparing Elway and Reeves relationship when Reeves wanted to be traded.

I aggree with the arm comment. when brandon marshall and eddie royal. start breaking fingers i might beleieve it.

Kaylore
03-14-2009, 08:26 AM

No, Coaches can call mandatory meetings and there isn't a mini camp scheduled this week anyway. It's the beginning of the offseason training program, which is also voluntary.

Does anyone else think he would have done this anyway? And by that I mean call the meeting? We have an entirely new coaching staff and it's not uncommon for coaches to do this to have a meet n' greet so they can meet the team as a team and explain where they're at and what their plans are. Shoot, every business in America has something like that with a new boss.

Arkie
03-14-2009, 08:45 AM
What did Elway win when he was drafted and threw a b**** fit about playing for Baltimore?

Hilarious! reading comprehension

He just said Cutler may appear the same as Elway at this stage of their careers, but also the 90% of disgruntled QBs that don't pan out.

Broncos4tw
03-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Hopefully this is a meeting to put things right, not make them worse.

Look, for all the bashing on Cutler, McD as our NEW coach should step up and make things right, not make things worse. I'm about sick of the lovefest for a dude that hasn't done a damn thing for our team yet. I think Cutler should grow up, but I think McD needs to stop acting like a coach, not like the local 'badass' that will only do things his way. He hasn't earned the right to do that, other than by virtue of his paycheck. You can swing your big stick around, but he won't make the team play for him, or play well, if he keeps it up.

The time to talk to your QB about improving his game is NOT during a call where you are trying to clear the air about trading him. That was chicken**** imo. "Oh, I'm not at fault at all, because you suck in these ways..." Whatever.. I don't know why people are kissing this guys butt, he hasn't done a thing for the team yet.

theAPAOps5
03-14-2009, 09:28 AM

The meeting can be mandatory. BUT the workout right after the meeting isn't

Meck77
03-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Cutler had pork n beans last night. Should be cleared out in time for the monday morning meeting though.

go_broncos
03-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Baby cutler will say "I got high fever.I will not be able to attend."

That's how kids behave..

Popps
03-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Popps, why do you always hate our team.

When did your reading problems first become apparent?

Jay Cutler is not our team... and I don't "hate" him, either.

You need someone to sit you down and explain how sports teams function.

Northman
03-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Actually, McDaniels has stated that the meeting itself is mandatory. The minicamp is a seperate issue.

Popps
03-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Again, not surprisingly... you're missing the point.

People are using Elway, who was an EXCEPTION to the rule. We've talked about this around here before. When you use the EXCEPTION to a rule as the basis of your argument, you're running a fool's errand. It's akin to putting all of your wages in lotto tickets every week.

"but... look at the guy in Michigan, he won... how am I any different?"

It's a fool's argument.

Elway was an EXCEPTION, not the norm.

Beyond that, Elway made it very clear that he wasn't going to play for the Colts. He simply stuck to his word once drafted. Elway had also been drafted by the Yankees... batted .360 and had other options.

Jay Cutler has signed a CONTRACT to play football already. His franchise simply discussed options to improve the team, and his name came up.

The two scenarios aren't the same. It's silly to try to make them the same.... and again, even if they WERE the same... most "problem child" types do NOT turn out to be hall of fame QBs. So, using ONE as an example as opposed to the MANY that fail is a fool's argument.

barryr
03-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Folks, Bowlen hired McDaniels probably because he feels this team needs a kick in the pants and McDaniels is the guy who will do that.

Any new coach who comes in is going to want to pick his players, so any player could be gone, including QB.

Could McDaniels had handled the Cutler situation better? Sure. Could Cutler have handled hi response better? You bet.

Both need to get together and settle the situation.

But from what I have seen so far, Cutler has a ton of growing up to do. I don't know of many QB's who were real sensitive types that went on to have great careers.

DeusExManning
03-14-2009, 12:46 PM

For the record.

For the record, Jay Cutler was only responding to a question and what did you expect him to say... No?

Chris Collinsworth, Phil Simms, and Ron Jaworski have all stated that Jay has a stronger arm than Elway. ANd it is not about his arm, he can make every throw. He has touch and mobility as well.

Are you just trying to convince yourself that you do not like Cutler to make yourself feel better if he is traded.

SoCalBronco
03-14-2009, 12:47 PM
We'll see what happens.

broncsyanks
03-14-2009, 01:01 PM
mcdaniels need to step up and take a hold of this situation. i dont blame jay at all. to think we could have gotten the great cassel for this guy. LMAO. and he let this all come out. thats sad. i understand that he wants to impliment his team philosphies but to rattle everyone and even whats suppose to be an all star quaterback and offensive leader is rediculous. chris simms couldnt carry cutlers jock let alone beat him for the starting job. so IMHO mcdaniels has to face it. he keeps bringing in guys for the offense- hello take notice- our defence suxs ass.

Broncojef
03-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Sorry I see this as a mandatory event to test Jay's resolve once and for all. He's played games for weeks ignoring calls, whining in the media, putting his house up for sale. This is a watershed event and if he doesn't show Bowlen and Co will know they will have to start pulling the trade lever to see what they can get. Better to find out in March than wait another 2 months to finally see Cutler will be a no show. I like the move, put your cards on the table now and lets see what everyone is holding.

Bronco Yoda
03-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Go back and read the conditions around his refusal to play for Baltimore. Elway did not throw a fit. He had nothing against the city of Baltimore and without a single circumstance would have played there. That circumstance was Frank Kush. Jack Elway knew Kush. He knew the worst thing for the development of John was to play under Kush. Kush had a way about him that destroyed players confidence rather than build them up. Especially, in the critical 2 to 3 years of a young QB's development cycle. The Elway's used the leverage they had available to keep from the disaster they saw ahead.

Google or Wikipedia about Kush. He did not have that love/hate relationship that Bobby Knight had with his players. He was sincerely hated by most. He was like Vince Lombardi without compassion. Although successful at ASU, he left carnage behind. Whereas, Woody Hayes was an enigma for what happened during his coaching career. Frank Kush was Frank Kush.

The decision did not play well at the time. History vindicates the Elways. Elway never gave evidence of the me first attitude he was accused of in this situation. He was a loyal and respected player throughout his career in Denver, even later during the Reeves situation.

REP

Popps
03-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Popps for all your grumbling about people putting words in your mouth you sure seem to be doing the same thing. He was comparing Elway and Reeves relationship when Reeves wanted to be traded..

I'm not trying to put words in his mouth... I'm simply saying that they're not good comparisons, no matter what angle you want to take.

A coach and player that don't have respect for each other is a recipe for disaster, even if it DID work out to some extent at some point in the history of the game.

Again, using the EXCEPTION to the rule as your basis for something being a good idea is a fool's argument.

"... I know a guy who got in an accident without a seat-belt and lived, hence... I'm never going to wear a seat-belt."

SoCalBronco
03-14-2009, 01:18 PM
He should appear since its mandatory, and also start the workouts, but nothing more. Don't play nice with the coaches or anything like that. They're not his friends, they aren't trustworthy. Don't buddy up to them, don't agree to any joint press conferences or anything. Just go and do your job and work.

baja
03-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Cutler wlll be here until there is a quality replacement available

barryr
03-14-2009, 01:23 PM
He should appear since its mandatory, and also start the workouts, but nothing more. Don't play nice with the coaches or anything like that. They're not his friends, they aren't trustworthy. Don't buddy up to them, don't agree to any joint press conferences or anything. Just go and do your job and work.

That's stupidass. I want guys who want to win games not act like spoiled kids. Cutler needs to think about the other players on the team and if doing that is going to help any of them.

SoCalBronco
03-14-2009, 01:26 PM
That's stupidass. I want guys who want to win games not act like spoiled kids. Cutler needs to think about the other players on the team and if doing that is going to help any of them.

He's coming in and working. That is all that can be expected. He doesn't need to buddy up to the coaches. This is strictly a professional relationship. So long as he is in there learning the system and working, that's it. That's all that is required. Being friendly with the coaches doesn't affect the other players at all. He just needs to work and that's it. Why would he buddy up to them? Why would he buddy up to people that tried to smear him?

All he needs to do is just learn the offense and put in the time working in the OTAs and watching film.

bayarealightning
03-14-2009, 01:26 PM
If I were a betting man, I would bet that Cutler shows for the mandatory meeting and then leaves and not participate in the workouts. If that happens, everyone will know where Cutler stands.

barryr
03-14-2009, 01:29 PM
He's coming in and working. That is all that can be expected. He doesn't need to buddy up to the coaches. This is strictly a professional relationship. So long as he is in there learning the system and working, that's it. That's all that is required. Being friendly with the coaches doesn't affect the other players at all. He just needs to work and that's it. Why would he buddy up to them? Why would he buddy up to people that tried to smear him?

All he needs to do is just learn the offense and put in the time working in the OTAs and watching film.

How is participating in workouts buddying up with the coaches? He needs to learn the offense and actually put it into practice and the sooner the better since that will help the team.

Broncojef
03-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Quite the team concept he would be promoting with that kind of crap...hopefully he does just what you say and the Broncos trade him so we don't ever have to witness or cheer for a guy who's just going through the motions playing to the letter of his commitment instead of leading this team. How you can want that kind of QB longterm is beyond me, do us a favor and when Cutler leaves just keep cheering for him and leave the Broncos alone.

Popps
03-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Are you just trying to convince yourself that you do not like Cutler to make yourself feel better if he is traded.

Why do people turn into such infants when this issue arises?

I've already made it very clear that I want him to stay in Denver. If he leaves, he leaves. Neither of those happenings will change my view of him as a person/leader. Those views will change when he actually SHOWS that he is a leader and a true franchise QB.

Though, if he IS traded... his stock with me certainly won't go up. That shouldn't be a surprise.