PDA

View Full Version : Bronco players going to the Pro Bowl: your thoughts

Bronco Yoda
03-14-2009, 12:21 AM
There was a time when I eagerly anticipated the yearly Pro Bowl voting. It wasn't just a right but an obligation as a true Broncomaniac.

Which Bronco player would actually get voted in out of the many who would inevidably be snubbed. And we had a voice! The fan. Our Guys! What could be more Broncomaniac than to try and get as many players to the show as possible.

Now I almost cringe when the counting is done. Hoping against all hope that our players fly under the radar. Sure, there are still conflicting moments for me, such as this year with Clady this year (he really, really deserved it). But that's not the point.

I'm not sure when it first started but I've gradually turned into a no-pro-bowl for Bronco's advocate. I didn't even vote last year. This year I'm considering voting for our rivals in the AFC WEST.

I know... I know.... it must sound strange at first. Almost bordering on Blasphemy eh?

But hear me out...

Nothing GOOD can come from this game from a team standpoint. The player can get hurt or even worse... for a game that doesn't even count. It's a chance for players to network with other coaches and other team officials. And of course, it adds value to their next contract negotiations which spells more leverage for them which ultimately bleeds money and resources from the collective team war chest as a whole.

I've argued this view point the last couple years now. Now I have even more reasons to want to bypass the Bronco pro bowl ballet.

Now the Cutler & Marshall problem child saga... both Pro Bowlers... both currently trouble child syndrome.

Perhaps Cutler wouldn't be feeling quite so froggy without the Pro Bowl moniker. You hear fans hear even say yah, we went 7-9 but he's a Pro Bowler!!!! As if this popularity contest has magical meaning. Justification for spoiled behavior and losing record (I know, horrid Defense... but thats not the point here). Even the most ardent Cutler apologist I would think would agree that his Pro Bowl nod inflated an already swelling ego. As if he didn't feel entitled already.

Then we've got Marshall who can't stay out of Jail. Now I'm not saying the Pro Bowl casted an evil spell on him. He's had this girlfriend trouble since way back when....but me thinks the Pro Bowl adds to whatever untouchable, entitled notions he may have that lets him behave this way without thought of consequence.

I love both these players skills but one has to wonder how much the Pro Bowl added to the drama equation. How much cash will these Pro Bowl nods cost in the next contracts. How much did it add to already inflated egos. Will it add to us eventually losing these two players?

I still love watching the Game, just not my players in it.

Anyone else feel this way?

Update:
"Wiegmann's absence from the offseason program has nothing to do with the fact he has yet to receive a contract extension, according to his agent, Joe Linta. Wiegmann is scheduled to make the veteran minimum $845,000 salary this season."

phisig150
03-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Interesting take. Never really thought about it this way. Can we at least have Clady go every year? For some reason the O-line guys going to the Probowl always meant the most to me. Other positions not so much except maybe the Backers.

That One Guy
03-14-2009, 09:58 AM
but pro-bowls seem to translate to HOF... the HOF situation wont change until Broncos become regulars in the pro-bowls

Pony Boy
03-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Ka-ching mo' money please

telluride
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM
It also sucks when your two pro bowlers screw up exactly like they screwed up all year: Jay tossing a red zone interception; Marshall dropping half the balls thrown to him.

Bronco Yoda
03-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I wonder what Pro Bowl's are actually worth to different positions during contract negotiations. You just gotta know there's a value chart GM's have. They have charts for everything.