PDA

View Full Version : Lions fans take on trading for Cutler....

Popps
03-13-2009, 04:22 PM
A sampling of opinion from a seemingly popular Lions board...

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69412

id give up pick 33 for cutler along with something else. Id probably even give up 20 for Cutler.

I would LOVE to have Cutler. I'd say he's worth our #1 pick.

Yep, I'd for sure give up #20. Maybe #20 and the third as well.

id do #20 and a 3rd as well

IMO, Cutler is a good, but not great QB. He needs a team around him to make up for his mistakes.

I'd rank Cutler ahead of Romo and Eli Manning for sure, but I'm not sold on him being in the top 10 area.

True, but Id rather have him than Stafford and let us draft Curry or an OL at 1 overall.

I'd probably give up #1 for Cutler.

Agreed... But I wouldn't be comfortable trading him for the first overall- unless Denver sweetened the pot with a third rounder...

No way. He's got a couple of years in the league, and he has diabetes. Talk about risk?

I wouldn't give up one of our 1st rounders for Cutler. Maybe our 2nd rounder.

If we can get Cutler for #20 and an additional pick, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yes I do. He's good enough to start and win games but he's nothing too special.

He's in the Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers and Chad Pennington range IMO.

Peyton Manning, Rivers, and Brees are definitely better than Cutler. Past those three (toss in Tom Brady assuming he comes back healthy) and I think it is very debatable.

Being a Lions fan since the early 70's.... I would ask, "Since the early 70's, what QB that the Lions have had do you like better than Jay Cutler?"

Cutler is a little crying whining little baby... He reminds me of Jeff George reborn

I'd trade the second round pick for Cutler in a second. I'd probably trade the #20 pick for him.

Denver shouldn't even bother listening to anything less than a straight up 1 for Cutler.

Popps
03-13-2009, 04:24 PM
It's a pretty even split over there, and interestingly... most of the quotes I posted are old.... as in starting in February.

With two more weeks of deterioration, I'd imagine the sentiment couldn't have grown Cutler's value in their minds.

Of course, the response here will be that they're all idiots. (And this place is full of brain surgeons.)

But, interesting to see.

Hotrod
03-13-2009, 04:25 PM
All I can say is if I were a lions fan I'd give up the #1 overall in a freaking heart beat.

Popps
03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
All I can say is if I were a lions fan I'd give up the #1 overall in a freaking heart beat.

I wouldn't do anything in a heartbeat. If you know a team has a major issue with a player, you start with the lowest possible bid and work your way up. You don't barge in and make some big, sloppy offer.

Matt Millen is gone. These guys probably have enough sense to know Jay Cutler has put us in a position of weakness.

Now, if he reports on Monday, perhaps we regain a bit of leverage.

Personally, I think he's WORTH a #1, but again... I'm biased and close to the situation.

tsiguy96
03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
some of them wouldnt even give up a first round pick haha

Popps
03-13-2009, 04:30 PM
some of them wouldnt even give up a first round pick haha

Agree, silly... but right now, someone would be reading your post going...

".... they think their whiney potential hold-out QB is going to bring a #1 pick? Are they high?"

It's all about perspective.

It's no different in the front offices of the NFL.

Hotrod
03-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't do anything in a heartbeat. If you know a team has a major issue with a player, you start with the lowest possible bid and work your way up. You don't barge in and make some big, sloppy offer.

Matt Millen is gone. These guys probably have enough sense to know Jay Cutler has put us in a position of weakness.

Personally, I think he's WORTH a #1, but again... I'm biased and close to the situation.

Oh I agree 100% you dont start bidding at the top. I'm just saying that if the Broncos FO wont budge off the #1 pick the company jet would be in the air to pick up Jay before the ink dried on the deal.

chaz
03-13-2009, 04:31 PM
cutler is a risk? there is no bigger risk at QB than the draft... if #1 gets you a proven pro-bowler you take it. no questions asked.

BroncoBuff
03-13-2009, 04:32 PM
I don't take the fans' perspectives all that seriously.

Oh, except yours of course, Popps ;D

SonOfLe-loLang
03-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah, if they are even considering drafting stafford, i'd take cutler over stafford ANYDAY at this point in time. Seriously...i don't even want them to pick up the phone unless they START with 20 and 33...but i prefer 1 and 20. We dont have to trade Jay...i say we only consider it if we're bowled over

Popps
03-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't take the fans' perspectives all that seriously.

Oh, except yours of course, Popps ;D

Well, if you were me... you would, too. Mine are awesome!

Oh, and no... I don't "love the deterioration angle."

In fact, I ****in' hate it. If we have to move the guy, I'd at least like to bilk some team out of some good picks.

That's why I've said since day one that Jay is hurting his own cause.

BroncoBuff
03-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, if you were me... you would, too. Mine are awesome!

Oh, and no... I don't "love the deterioration angle."

In fact, I ****in' hate it. If we have to move the guy, I'd at least like to bilk some team out of some good picks.

That's why I've said since day one that Jay is hurting his own cause.

I wrote that to you IN PRIVATE! 8')

Seriously though, you do seem really insistent on the "Jay is killing his own trade value" angle ... ever think maybe that's WHY he's being a baby, he doesn't wanna go anywhere else? I read a couple years ago where his Dad fulfilled a lifelong dream by designing and building his own home from the ground up in Denver. And maybe - hopefully - Jay found a honey in town or something. That might be exactly what he needs, the right woman.

That sounded so wrong, but I think it's so right :thumbs:

USMCBladerunner
03-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't really understand the majority of their views...of all fans in the NFL, I would think they would covet a known quaity QB entity like Cutler...the #1 pick in the draft might get you Peyton Manning, but it can more often give you Joey Harrington (how'd that go Detroit?) or David Carr or Alex Smith...

Detroit has had a lot of #1 and other very high draft picks and they haven't been well served by them. I guess all fans overvalue their teams assets, real or potential, but if I was a Detroit fan, I give up #1 and more to get Cutler.

Rulon Velvet Jones
03-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Good to see they think outside the box in Detroit. Many of the same, tired comments have found their way to their boards. Boring. But it's always fun to read how Lions fans think of putting a team together and sharing their NFL knowledge.

It's like asking a dog to show you a card trick.

Popps
03-13-2009, 05:24 PM

Sorry bro. ;D I just had read it and then responded to your post. Your secrets are safe with me from here forward!

Seriously though, you do seem really insistent on the "Jay is killing his own trade value" angle ... ever think maybe that's WHY he's being a baby, he doesn't wanna go anywhere else? I read a couple years ago where his Dad fulfilled a lifelong dream by designing and building his own home from the ground up in Denver. And maybe - hopefully - Jay found a honey in town or something. That might be exactly what he needs, the right woman.

That sounded so wrong, but I think it's so right :thumbs:

Well, again... this is just all perception, but I actually made that exact point last night. I never heard him say... "I love the city of Denver," or "I love the fans" when all of this went down. It was all about him, or the system or his skills, etc. I don't know, maybe you're right and he really does want to stay, but I sure don't get that idea by the way he spoke, and his agent didn't do him any favors.

Beyond that, what's wrong with just saying that to a reporter over the last few days? What's wrong with taking an interview and saying... "yea, I love it here, I don't know how it will play out, but I hope it works because I'm going to win wherever I play."

It just seems that it would have been SOOOOO simple for him to take the edge off of this, and yet he won't. That can only be because his personality won't allow it... or he doesn't want to.

spdirty
03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
If I were a Lions fan, first of all Id think about killing myself, but secondly for Cutler I would happily give up my 1, 20, 33, and a couple more picks for Cutler.

Broncojef
03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
With the money involved in the #1 overall I'd prefer the #20 and #33 myself. Cutler's value isn't going down any further than it has already, everyone knows his situation, very immature and in possession of outstanding skills. The Lions aren't the only game in town for people seeking his services, so supply and demand dictates a good trade exists out there should we want or have to pull the trigger.

elsid13
03-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Sorry bro. ;D I just had read it and then responded to your post. Your secrets are safe with me from here forward!

Well, again... this is just all perception, but I actually made that exact point last night. I never heard him say... "I love the city of Denver," or "I love the fans" when all of this went down. It was all about him, or the system or his skills, etc. I don't know, maybe you're right and he really does want to stay, but I sure don't get that idea by the way he spoke, and his agent didn't do him any favors.

Beyond that, what's wrong with just saying that to a reporter over the last few days? What's wrong with taking an interview and saying... "yea, I love it here, I don't know how it will play out, but I hope it works because I'm going to win wherever I play."

It just seems that it would have been SOOOOO simple for him to take the edge off of this, and yet he won't. That can only be because his personality won't allow it... or he doesn't want to.

TJ right you do just make things up. Did not read the articles on CBS 4 or watch the video????

Here it is again:

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=53859@kcnc.dayport.com

"I love Denver, and what to remain a Bronco."

Popps
03-13-2009, 06:13 PM
TJ right you do just make things up. Did not read the articles on CBS 4 or watch the video????

Here it is again:

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=53859@kcnc.dayport.com

"I love Denver, and what to remain a Bronco."

No, douchey... I hadn't seen the video. I'll watch it. If he says it, I'll no longer claim that he didn't.

Taco calls people liars and then hides under the table when someone asks him to put his money where his mouth is.

Houshyamama
03-13-2009, 06:23 PM
If we only had Chris Simms going into camp, and we had the #1 and #20...

How much would you consider giving up for Matt Ryan?

broncogary
03-13-2009, 06:30 PM

What situation would that be? :kiddingme

frerottenextelway
03-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Remember the days when we used to trade George Foster and Tatum Bell for their goods?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-13-2009, 06:34 PM

This is a joke, right?

Popps
03-13-2009, 07:29 PM
So, the new rumor supposedly making the rounds according to the Detroit contingent here at the gig is...

-Jay Cutler plus our #12 for their #1 overall, plus a #2 and a #3... apparently those pick would all be in this year's draft.

Take it for what it's worth.

Tombstone RJ
03-13-2009, 07:58 PM
A sampling of opinion from a seemingly popular Lions board...

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69412

id give up pick 33 for cutler along with something else. Id probably even give up 20 for Cutler.

I would LOVE to have Cutler. I'd say he's worth our #1 pick.

Yep, I'd for sure give up #20. Maybe #20 and the third as well.

id do #20 and a 3rd as well

IMO, Cutler is a good, but not great QB. He needs a team around him to make up for his mistakes.

I'd rank Cutler ahead of Romo and Eli Manning for sure, but I'm not sold on him being in the top 10 area.

True, but Id rather have him than Stafford and let us draft Curry or an OL at 1 overall.

I'd probably give up #1 for Cutler.

Agreed... But I wouldn't be comfortable trading him for the first overall- unless Denver sweetened the pot with a third rounder...

No way. He's got a couple of years in the league, and he has diabetes. Talk about risk?

I wouldn't give up one of our 1st rounders for Cutler. Maybe our 2nd rounder.

If we can get Cutler for #20 and an additional pick, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yes I do. He's good enough to start and win games but he's nothing too special.

He's in the Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers and Chad Pennington range IMO.

Peyton Manning, Rivers, and Brees are definitely better than Cutler. Past those three (toss in Tom Brady assuming he comes back healthy) and I think it is very debatable.

Being a Lions fan since the early 70's.... I would ask, "Since the early 70's, what QB that the Lions have had do you like better than Jay Cutler?"

Cutler is a little crying whining little baby... He reminds me of Jeff George reborn

I'd trade the second round pick for Cutler in a second. I'd probably trade the #20 pick for him.

Denver shouldn't even bother listening to anything less than a straight up 1 for Cutler.

wtf do the Lions fans really know about a good QB? Seriously, they don't know schit. Cutler is worth at least their #1. They have sucked for so long, most of their fans don't really understand what a good QB is. In fact, I can't remember their last really good QB. All I remember is Barry Sanders and Billy Simms. I mean really, they don't know.

TonyR
03-13-2009, 08:14 PM
-Jay Cutler plus our #12 for their #1 overall, plus a #2 and a #3... apparently those pick would all be in this year's draft.

I don't see how we could make that trade. You can't go into a season with Chris Simms as your starter, and you can't use that #1 pick on any of the ready to be busts QB's in this draft. Mayock said run away from Stafford and don't look back. The Cleveland rumor is one thing because maybe you believe Brady Quinn can work in this system but you can't trade away Jay and not have a good plan at QB. You just can't!

And Popps, I'm not shooting you. I realize you're just the messenger here.

DBroncos4life
03-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Something tells me Atlanta would laugh at us if we asked them about Ryan. Im sure they would say something like who trades a young QB coming off a ProBowl year?

Popps
03-13-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't see how we could make that trade. You can't go into a season with Chris Simms as your starter, and you can't use that #1 pick on any of the ready to be busts QB's in this draft. Mayock said run away from Stafford and don't look back. The Cleveland rumor is one thing because maybe you believe Brady Quinn can work in this system but you can't trade away Jay and not have a good plan at QB. You just can't!

I don't really like it, either.

I'd rather give them (if we had to) Cutler for their 20 this year and their #1 next year.

Whether or not they'd take it, I have no idea. But, we'd bring in another guy like Garcia to compete with Simms and develop a young QB. We'd have two picks in the first this year and two next year.

We're not going to the SB this year, anyway... and if Jay wants out, that would give us a ton of picks to load up with talent.

DBroncos4life
03-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't really like it, either.

I'd rather give them (if we had to) Cutler for their 20 this year and their #1 next year.

Whether or not they'd take it, I have no idea. But, we'd bring in another guy like Garcia to compete with Simms and develop a young QB. We'd have two picks in the first this year and two next year.

We're not going to the SB this year, anyway... and if Jay wants out, that would give us a ton of picks to load up with talent.

You really think that McD will make it out of his first year with Simms as the starter? With our schedule we would be lucky to win 3 games.

Houshyamama
03-13-2009, 08:42 PM
This is a joke, right?

Nah dude, I'd say Matt Ryan's and Jay Cutler's stocks are fairly equitable. I'm saying put yourself in Detroit's shoes. If Matt Ryan was pouting and we needed a franchise QB, how much would you give for him?

DBroncos4life
03-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Nah dude, I'd say Matt Ryan's and Jay Cutler's stocks are fairly equitable. I'm saying put yourself in Detroit's shoes. If Matt Ryan was pouting and we needed a franchise QB, how much would you give for him?

You really think that Atlanta would even think for one split second about trading Ryan? Some peoples children, I mean for **** sake he should be untouchable and any GM that contacted them about him should be kicked out of the NFL. Have you watch a Falcons game before him?

NFLBRONCO
03-13-2009, 09:03 PM
You really think that McD will make it out of his first year with Simms as the starter? With our schedule we would be lucky to win 3 games.

Alot of people before this trade stuff started figured 6 wins in 09 so is 3 and 6 wins that big of deal?

DBroncos4life
03-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Alot of people before this trade stuff started figured 6 wins in 09 so is 3 and 6 wins that big of deal?

really you have to ask?

NFLBRONCO
03-13-2009, 09:13 PM
really you have to ask?

Yeah its offseason :)

DBroncos4life
03-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah its offseason :)

LOL there isn't one part of me that thinks about going sub .500 that makes me do this:yayaya:

razorwire77
03-13-2009, 09:46 PM

I don't see how a Lions trade is possible either. Stafford is a not no. 1 worthy, and will be a washout imo, and Sanchez needs a lot polish, and experience before he could be ready as a starter. I think if Jay gets traded, Cleveland is the most likely place. Maybe Xanders and Co. could use the Lions to leverage a trade with the Browns. Something like Cutler, Shef, and no. 12, for no. 5, Quinn and Shawn Rodgers is possible. Rodgers plugs the DT hole, and At 5, we could go after Curry if he falls slightly, or Raji or Orakpo.

Archer81
03-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Considering Cutler isnt going anywhere all of this is moot.

:Broncos:

lex
03-13-2009, 10:00 PM

If Im in Detroits shoes, Im asking myself who have we had thats better than Cutler anythime during the past 30 years.

WolfpackGuy
03-13-2009, 10:01 PM
If Im in Detroits shoes, Im asking myself who have we had thats better than Cutler anythime during the past 30 years.

Eric Kramer, baby! LOL

Archer81
03-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Two words. Scott Mitchell.

:Broncos:

Arkie
03-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Gus Frerotte :gus:

Houshyamama
03-13-2009, 11:06 PM
You really think that Atlanta would even think for one split second about trading Ryan? Some peoples children, I mean for **** sake he should be untouchable and any GM that contacted them about him should be kicked out of the NFL. Have you watch a Falcons game before him?

Yeah. I know. You're missing the point.

Just let it go.

Popps
03-13-2009, 11:19 PM

Yes, and we've already discussed this.

McDaniel will absolutely make it out of his first year, regardless of who is the starting QB.

We could go 0-16, and I believe Bowlen will stand behind his pick, if nothing else... to prove a point.

So, I know you're clicking your heels together praying for it to happen, but you'd better hop on board or hop the **** off. The guy isn't going anywhere.

SoCalBronco
03-13-2009, 11:23 PM
We could go 0-16, and I believe Bowlen will stand behind his pick, if nothing else... to prove a point.

I'm not sure it would be about proving points so much as saving face. I do agree with you, though, that Bowlen is unlikely to fire McDaniels before Year 3, barring extreme circumstances.

DBroncos4life
03-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Yes, and we've already discussed this.

McDaniel will absolutely make it out of his first year, regardless of who is the starting QB.

So, I know you're clicking your heels together praying for it to happen, but you'd better hop on board or hop the **** off. The guy isn't going anywhere.

I can be a fan of the team and not like the coach just like you can be a fan of the team and think our QB is a baby. If he goes 0-16 and doesn't get canned I would love it.

ZONA
03-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Detroit wants to get out of that #1 spot badly. No way they draft one of the QB's there and I highly doubt both last all the way to #20 so they are left without a QB via the draft. You bet they would love to give up the #1 overall for Cutler. But we don't want it either. Nobody in this draft is worth #1 money.

The only deal I would consider from Detroit is their #20 (us keeping #12), their #33 and their first rounder next year. That's it. Anything else and go home.

mattob14
03-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Detroit wants to get out of that #1 spot badly. No way they draft one of the QB's there and I highly doubt both last all the way to #20 so they are left without a QB via the draft. You bet they would love to give up the #1 overall for Cutler. But we don't want it either. Nobody in this draft is worth #1 money.

The only deal I would consider from Detroit is their #20 (us keeping #12), their #33 and their first rounder next year. That's it. Anything else and go home.

That's very close to my thinking as well. I'd want #20, #33, and another piece: one of the 3rds this year, a 2nd or 3rd next year, or a player (not sure who they could really offer up though). I don't know that we'd get 2 firsts and #33 right now, but I'd be on board with that trade. Either way, we'd have 4 of the top 48 picks to work on filling out the D.

Rock Chalk
03-14-2009, 02:40 PM
With the money involved in the #1 overall I'd prefer the #20 and #33 myself. Cutler's value isn't going down any further than it has already, everyone knows his situation, very immature and in possession of outstanding skills. The Lions aren't the only game in town for people seeking his services, so supply and demand dictates a good trade exists out there should we want or have to pull the trigger.

No, Id take the 1 and turn it into 3 picks. Id trade down to about the 8 or 9 spot, and take a second and third rounder to go with it.

Then we'd have the 8 or 9, the 12, and the 8 or 9 picks in the second and third round as well.

ColoradoDarin
03-14-2009, 03:25 PM
No, Id take the 1 and turn it into 3 picks. Id trade down to about the 8 or 9 spot, and take a second and third rounder to go with it.

Then we'd have the 8 or 9, the 12, and the 8 or 9 picks in the second and third round as well.

You'd need a partner, other teams might not want to pay a rookie that much guaranteed $$$$$ (especially this year, where there is no real #1). I'd do it if we could, but I'd rather have #20, #33 one of their 3rds and/or a #1 next year

broncos-rock
03-14-2009, 04:29 PM
If the lions would take Boss Bailey back I would be a happy camper!ROFL!

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2009, 05:17 PM
If I'm a Lions fan, I'm looking at it this way:

How many of our prime first round picks in the last 20 years are better than Cutler? Or even close?

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I'd rank Cutler ahead of Romo and Eli Manning for sure, but I'm not sold on him being in the top 10 area.[/I]

For me, this is probably a key consideration for the Broncos. If Eli is as close to signing the richest contract for any QB in the league (as has been reported a few times by different sources in the last few months), and Cutler outperforms him (again) statistically this year......just how much is Bus going to ask for?