PDA

View Full Version : who will be this years surprise slider ?

oubronco
03-13-2009, 02:05 PM
who will be the surprise slider to fall on draft day?

sitting in the room sweating and hearing name after name called while he sits there with cameras filming him?

Drek
03-13-2009, 02:25 PM
There won't be one, after Quinn waited so long the NFL has basically cut it down to just the top handful of guys who they've basically been guaranteed will go in the top 10.

But if it were to happen, I'd say Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez. I could see Stafford sliding to the 10-15 range, and I could see Sanchez in the 20-25 range.

cmhargrove
03-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Beanie Wells might very well slide to our second round pick...

gyldenlove
03-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Any of the MLBs.

socalorado
03-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Any of the MLBs.

DING!~

montrose
03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
All these pro personnel guys talk about is how overrated the combine is and what happens on the game film is what matters. Then the draft comes around and you see them do the complete opposite. For that reason, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Michael Crabtree fell out of the top 10.

oubronco
03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
All these pro personnel guys talk about is how overrated the combine is and what happens on the game film is what matters. Then the draft comes around and you see them do the complete opposite. For that reason, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Michael Crabtree fell out of the top 10.

right in our laps hopefully

meangene
03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
right in our laps hopefully

He could possibly fall to us if the Faiders pass on him. That would create a real interesting situation. Do we take him with all our needs on defense? This would mean moving Marshall. What is his value with his off the field issues? Will we know what the league is going to do in response to his latest domestic disturbance by draft day? What kind of meltdown would Cutler have? I can't wait for draft day!

Mediator12
03-14-2009, 02:30 PM

The thing is the disconnect between the Scouts Grade and the confirmation of the athletic skills at the combine. That is where the Pro personnel guys waver, especially with Injury history and character concerns that are not public to us draftniks.

Crabtree could realisitcally fall because he had a pre-existing injury precombine AND a hidden stress fracture on top of that. His tape is absolutely fine, but with the financials being preposterous for top 10 picks, a superior talented film guy with injury history at the combine and pro day Should slip. It is just a matter of how far, and the teams personal medical eval from the Combine. Those are where teams get screwed, some of the teams missed The injury altogether......

Punisher
03-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Yea Beanie will slide because of the lack of toughness,but i don't blame Beanie for not fighting for extra yards in college he might of got hurt...

bpc
03-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Maualuga/Laurinitis are the big time losers from preseason until now. I think people will come to the realization that this Maualuga is not completely legit and is at best, a 2 down thumber. For a guy that was projected in the top 10 last year, he's already slid down to 15-20. He could tumble all the way to the end of the 1st round.

Laurinaitis' times are so poor its absolutely shocking. The guy pads up nice but looks thin in the upper body. You would expect him to run well but that did not happen.

gyldenlove
03-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Maualuga/Laurinitis are the big time losers from preseason until now. I think people will come to the realization that this Maualuga is not completely legit and is at best, a 2 down thumber. For a guy that was projected in the top 10 last year, he's already slid down to 15-20. He could tumble all the way to the end of the 1st round.

Laurinaitis' times are so poor its absolutely shocking. The guy pads up nice but looks thin in the upper body. You would expect him to run well but that did not happen.

Laurinaitis is a guy who is a super football player, but an average athlete, most people knew that.

Maualuga is a good athlete and a good football player.

For linebackers, people prefer players who are super athletes and good players, because it is easier to teach playing linebacker to an athlete than teaching athleticism to a player. This is not reflective of how much success they will have, just of their draft status.

I don't see Crabtree fall out of the top 10, there are just too many teams that need a WR: Oakland, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St Louis and San Fransisco. I think St Louis and Kansas City are probably going to go with another position, Oakland could go with Maclin if they still love speed too much, but Cleveland could use some help Jurevicious and Winslow are both gone and Stallworth is looking at down time, Cincinnati has a convict and a malcontent to go with Coles, Jacksonville is going to lose Matt Jones for a number of games and San Fransisco really needs some offensive help.

bpc
03-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Laurinaitis is a guy who is a super football player, but an average athlete, most people knew that.

For linebackers, people prefer players who are super athletes and good players, because it is easier to teach playing linebacker to an athlete than teaching athleticism to a player. This is not reflective of how much success they will have, just of their draft status.

I don't see Crabtree fall out of the top 10, there are just too many teams that need a WR: Oakland, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St Louis and San Fransisco. I think St Louis and Kansas City are probably going to go with another position, Oakland could go with Maclin if they still love speed too much, but Cleveland could use some help Jurevicious and Winslow are both gone and Stallworth is looking at down time, Cincinnati has a convict and a malcontent to go with Coles, Jacksonville is going to lose Matt Jones for a number of games and San Fransisco really needs some offensive help.

If you say so. :thumbs:

BowlenBall
03-15-2009, 10:19 AM
White linebackers are always overrated by fans, yet underrated by scouts.

2007 - Paul Poluszny (spelling?) was projected to go in the 1st, but went in the 2nd

2008 - Dan Connor was in everyone's 1st round mock, and went in the 3rd

2009 - Laurinaitis will NOT go in the 1st round, and could even drop to the 3rd, based on those horrible 40 times.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-15-2009, 10:21 AM

Not after Beanie's pro day he's not

Hercules Rockefeller
03-15-2009, 10:22 AM
White linebackers are always overrated by fans, yet underrated by scouts.

2007 - Paul Poluszny (spelling?) was projected to go in the 1st, but went in the 2nd

2008 - Dan Connor was in everyone's 1st round mock, and went in the 3rd

2009 - Laurinaitis will NOT go in the 1st round, and could even drop to the 3rd, based on those horrible 40 times.

Which is why people on the Internetz are not scouts in real life, and is why it always amazes me why other fans put so much stock in mock drafts by people who have absolutely 0 NFL sources.

HILife
03-17-2009, 09:11 AM

Don't expect Crabtree to get past the jags.http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f48656&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ELEVATION
03-20-2009, 04:31 AM
who will be the surprise slider to fall on draft day?

sitting in the room sweating and hearing name after name called while he sits there with cameras filming him?

MarK Sanchez/James Lauranitas

ohiobronco2
03-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Not after Beanie's pro day he's not

Exactly. He ran amazing. OSU has a fast track though. I'm surprised no major network really made an issue about how slow times at the combine were this year.

ohiobronco2
03-20-2009, 06:27 AM
MarK Sanchez/James Lauranitas

James will really slide on draft day. I'm surprised he ran so poorly, thought he was a better athlete than that. Still think he is a solid football player and among the best MLB's in this draft.

ohiobronco2
03-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Which is why people on the Internetz are not scouts in real life, and is why it always amazes me why other fans put so much stock in mock drafts by people who have absolutely 0 NFL sources.

This. Really, how much does straight line speed matter to an MLB. You need decent, not Vernon Davis like speed. Yes I know Davis is a TE. :approve:

Mediator12
03-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Exactly. He ran amazing. OSU has a fast track though. I'm surprised no major network really made an issue about how slow times at the combine were this year.

That is because they weren't slow ;D

The only postions that struggled time wise were RB and CB where they are traditionally some real fast players. DT was really fast this year, the other positions were in their normal range.

BTW, that is the exact same surface that they ran on the last 2 years in INDY, just so people know. The problem is that this years class just did not have the speed of previous years.....

lex
03-21-2009, 10:25 AM
That is because they weren't slow ;D

The only postions that struggled time wise were RB and CB where they are traditionally some real fast players. DT was really fast this year, the other positions were in their normal range.

BTW, that is the exact same surface that they ran on the last 2 years in INDY, just so people know. The problem is that this years class just did not have the speed of previous years.....

They moved into a new stadium this year. I thought the surface changed?

Mediator12
03-21-2009, 10:38 AM
They moved into a new stadium this year. I thought the surface changed?

Nope, they brought the surface from The dome to Lucas. It was only 2 years old and they blew the dome up. Believe me, I know the guy who did it.

oubronco
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
A few were right pretty good guess's