PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to have private workout for Malcolm Jenkins

TonyR
03-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Denver gets first crack at Thorpe winner
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Posted By Albert Breer 7:58 PM
Malcolm Jenkins has his pro day tomorrow, and final exams for his last on-campus quarter at Ohio State next week.

And once that's over with, Jenkins starts the process of dealing with individual teams. The Broncos will get the first chance to work him out privately, with plans to send officials to Columbus, Ohio, to put him through the paces next Friday. Denver holds the 12th pick in the April draft.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/18083/denver_gets_first_crack_at_thorpe_winner

BRONCOS TO WORK OUT JENKINS NEXT WEEK
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2009, 9:38 p.m. EDT
With Champ Bailey entering his eleventh NFL season, the Denver Broncos could be making plans for life without him.
According to Albert Breer of SportingNews.com, the Broncos will conduct a private workout (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/18083/denver_gets_first_crack_at_thorpe_winner) of Ohio State cornerback Malcom Jenkins next Friday in Columbus, Ohio.
Jenkins generated a slower-than-expected 40-yard dash at the Combine, which could cause him to slide. On Friday, Jenkins undoubtedly will run again at Ohio State’s Pro Day workout.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/12/broncos-to-work-out-jenkins-next-week/

Sassy
03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
NFLN is talking about BJ Raji working out with Denver.

oubronco
03-12-2009, 08:11 PM
they'll workout the top guy's then shock everybody and draft the heir apparent to Paxton our long snapper

ZONA
03-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I would not be surprised at all if we there was no option to move down and McD's favorite DL players were taken already, to see either Davis or Jenkins picked at #12, or even Jackson (that would be a little bit of a stretch though. CB's just hold more value then LB's. But I'm hoping we can move down 6 spots while adding a mid to low 2nd or high 3rd.

ludo21
03-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Jenkins would be a solid pick at 12, especially since he has the ability to play safety.

Gcver2ver3
03-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Jenkins is a good player and all, but unless we trade Champ Bailey for Julius Peppers, i don't see us selecting him with our first pick...

Jesterhole
03-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I like getting a good player. That said, part of me would be bummed to get a corner...not the weakest spot in the defense. Need D-line or linebacker or safety much more...

socalorado
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Jenkins is a good player and all, but unless we trade Champ Bailey for Julius Peppers, i don't see us selecting him with our first pick...

He has been projected as a FS by many analysts and coaches. He would be a safe pick, if others were gone

PaintballCLE
03-12-2009, 08:31 PM

he would have to paly safety..........Being an OSU fan...........he is WAY to slow to play CB in the NFL. But could be a great safety!

extralife
03-12-2009, 08:32 PM
No. Just no.

montrose
03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
I doubt he falls to #12 but he'd be a nice value there. With that, I'm hoping we go front seven at #12. With Orakpo, Brown and Maybin all looking like they could be gone - Tyson Jackson would be a solid pick to me but I'd have no qualms about Jenkins.

socalorado
03-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I doubt he falls to #12 but he'd be a nice value there. With that, I'm hoping we go front seven at #12. With Orakpo, Brown and Maybin all looking like they could be gone - Tyson Jackson would be a solid pick to me but I'd have no qualms about Jenkins.

Jeez, man. this post just reeks of bust players!
Orakpo- Texas player which means he has TONS of athleticism, but NO football playing knowledge.
Maybin- Will bust (mark my words) unless he goes to a already solid team. Hes just not even remotely ready to be a impact player. DEN already has not one but 2!!!!! of these types of players in Crowder and Moss. Just say no.
Now Brown or Jackson, well those are guys that would be playing at some time this season depending on how fast they could adapt to Nolans scheme, which i dont think would be long.
Jenkins is one of the most NFL ready,complete players in this draft. He could come in day one and make an impact for DEN.

BroncoMan4ever
03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
if we take Jenkins or any other player for the secondary in the 1st, i am going to freak out and literally drive down to the practice facilities when camp starts and stand there all day every day waving a sign calling for McDaniels head on a stick.

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't know about you guys but I'm happy to see Sean Smith has dropped quite a bit... he's seen as a 2nd rounder now.

Also I think we could do something crazy shock the world by drafting Jared Cook and put him at WR. (remember we wanted Clayton)

That gives us insane depth at WR with two monsters at the #1/#2 spots and Royal in the slot.

Just an FYI Jared Cook is taller and heavier than Marshall and faster as well. Marshall was seen as a TE or nothing out of college by a lot of scouts due to his speed. So this could be a surprise.

It's also possible we move Scheffler to WR.

socalorado
03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
I don't know about you guys but I'm happy to see Sean Smith has dropped quite a bit... he's seen as a 2nd rounder now.
Also I think we could do something crazy shock the world by drafting Jared Cook and put him at WR. (remember we wanted Clayton)
That gives us insane depth at WR with two monsters at the #1/#2 spots and Royal in the slot.
Just an FYI Jared Cook is taller and heavier than Marshall and faster as well. Marshall was seen as a TE or nothing out of college by a lot of scouts due to his speed. So this could be a surprise.
I dont think Sean Sith who ive been pimping here forever, will be falling anytime soon. If anything hes risen since his excellent combine
Hes now the #1 rated Safety on many draft borads and analytsts

http://walterfootball.com/college/Utah_logo.gif Sean Smith, S/CB, Utah
Height: 6-4. Weight: 214.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Combine 40 Time: 4.53.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.47.
Benchx225: DNP. Vertical: 32.
Projected Round (2009): 1-2.
2/25/09: When you're compared to NFL Hall of Famer Mel Blount, you know you're having a great combine. Mike Mayock made that comparison. Sean Smith's 40 may have pushed him into Round 1.

2/23/09: Actually measured in taller than expected; 6-4 is pretty impressive.

1/14/09: Sean Smith, probably more of a safety than a corner at the next level, registered 45 tackles, nine passes broken up, two TFL, five interceptions and a pick-six for national champion Utah. He has declared for the 2009 NFL Draft.

12/13/08: Sean Smith has been a beast this season, and no one can blame him if he declares a year early. An All-Mountain West first-teamer, Smith collected 40 tackles, five picks (one touchdown) and eight passes broken up. Could play corner or safety in the NFL.

Anaximines
03-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I'd be real happy with MJ

spdirty
03-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Please no. Please just focus on the front 7.

Br0nc0Buster
03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
um pass on that

not a fan of Jenkins

broncosteven
03-12-2009, 09:36 PM
We have needed Dline since Keith Traylor left and they want yet another CB after addressing it in FA?

I got off the ledge but this could push me back on it.

If they use the #12 pick in the draft for a CB they may as well trade Bailey, Marshall and Cutler and start from nothing.

BroncoMan4ever
03-12-2009, 09:40 PM

i'd love to see Scheff lined up at receiver. he has almost the same speed as Marshall, but his size and strength when healthy would make him a matchup nightmare for teams, and then with Royal in the slot and Hillis out of the backfield or lined up all over the place, would be a beautiful thing to see.

ZONA
03-12-2009, 09:52 PM
i'd love to see Scheff lined up at receiver. he has almost the same speed as Marshall, but his size and strength when healthy would make him a matchup nightmare for teams, and then with Royal in the slot and Hillis out of the backfield or lined up all over the place, would be a beautiful thing to see.

I know Schef is a fast TE but he does not almost have the same speed as Marshall. Schef is not a WR. Putting him there would be so stupid it's not even funny. Plus he probably would be injured too often to hold the spot. The best value for Scef is trading him to a team that wants a PC TE.

If anybody here thinks we take Jenkins at #12 and put him at safety you need to put the bottle down. Denver is not taking a safety at #12, and a guy that isn't a bonnafied safety at that. He could maybe play some safety and some CB but I don't think this guy is elite at either position. He's solid, but you don't draft a "solid" Safety at #12. I can guarantee it won't be Jenkins at #12. You can take that to the bank.

I also am not big on either Maybin or Orakpo. I'd just as well take Jerry before either of those guys.

BroncoBuff
03-12-2009, 09:55 PM
they'll workout the top guy's then shock everybody and draft the heir apparent to Paxton our long snapper

You're kidding, but also correct - in that guys a team works out doesn't mean that much really. Cutler hadn't even spoke to a single Broncos scout or rep before draft day.

orange skier
03-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater.........but not Malcolm Jenkins.......we could use a future safety.....but not with the number 12..........

BroncoMan4ever
03-12-2009, 10:22 PM
I know Schef is a fast TE but he does not almost have the same speed as Marshall. Schef is not a WR. Putting him there would be so stupid it's not even funny. Plus he probably would be injured too often to hold the spot. The best value for Scef is trading him to a team that wants a PC TE.

If anybody here thinks we take Jenkins at #12 and put him at safety you need to put the bottle down. Denver is not taking a safety at #12, and a guy that isn't a bonnafied safety at that. He could maybe play some safety and some CB but I don't think this guy is elite at either position. He's solid, but you don't draft a "solid" Safety at #12. I can guarantee it won't be Jenkins at #12. You can take that to the bank.

I also am not big on either Maybin or Orakpo. I'd just as well take Jerry before either of those guys.

i agree it is unlikely we take Jenkins in the 1st, but this is McDaniels team now, and the Pats do tend go after players for the secondary a lot, and it would not be a really surprising however stupid pick.

i should have elaborated on how i think we could use Scheff as a WR. i am thinking Scheff, while not WR fast has good speed, and with his size and strength he would be a great guy to line up in 3rd down, red zone and goal line situations, where he can go up for a catch and cause mismatches.

i agree, he isn't a starting WR, but since it seems Graham has the TE spot locked down, we could use Scheff's skills in certain situations at WR. the guy is never going to stretch the field or be a deep threat, but he has great hands; and in the red zone and as a possession type WR who can get us 1st downs he could be valuable.

BroncoMan4ever
03-12-2009, 10:23 PM
You're kidding, but also correct - in that guys a team works out doesn't mean that much really. Cutler hadn't even spoke to a single Broncos scout or rep before draft day.

true, and if this were Shanahan i would agree, but with mcDaniels who knows what type of drafting team we will be.

Popps
03-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Please no. Please just focus on the front 7.

Seriously. We'd better go front 7 with this pick or trade down. Too ****ing much money to tie up in the ass-end of our defense.

On a side note, I just realized what a war-zone this place is going to be come draft day. It's going to be a riot. The McDaniels bashers will be going ballistic, regardless of who we draft.

Should be fun.

montrose
03-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Seriously. We'd better go front 7 with this pick or trade down. Too ****ing much money to tie up in the ass-end of our defense.

On a side note, I just realized what a war-zone this place is going to be come draft day. It's going to be a riot. The McDaniels bashers will be going ballistic, regardless of who we draft.

Should be fun.

Aaron Curry could fall to #12 and we'd have McBashers on here complaining.

Kaylore
03-12-2009, 10:46 PM
You take best player available. You can't get locked into "we need front seven help" or we need "this" position. You take the best player available. If that's Jenkins, then you draft him.

BroncoMan4ever
03-12-2009, 11:44 PM

Should be fun.

i am almost done with all this McDaniels bashing. on Monday when Jay reports this all ends and we can all move on.

on a side note, if Jay is traded i will be outside of the practice facilities during TC with a picket sign calling for McDaniels head.

ZONA
03-12-2009, 11:51 PM
You take best player available. You can't get locked into "we need front seven help" or we need "this" position. You take the best player available. If that's Jenkins, then you draft him.

Yeah, but who the hell says Jenkins is one of the top 12 players? I sure don't think so. And it's not just best player available. These war rooms place value on certain positions. Safety is not really a high value position and he certainly is above average as a CB but not a top 12 talent. What if the best player available is a QB or LT? Do you still draft them? No. It's never as simple as that. Need does come into play.

Florida_Bronco
03-12-2009, 11:54 PM
on a side note, if Jay is traded i will be outside of the practice facilities during TC with a picket sign calling for McDaniels head.

Just watch out for the Molotov Cocktails I'll be throwing.

(Insert standard "only a joke" disclaimer here)

worm
03-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Aaron Curry could fall to #12 and we'd have McBashers on here complaining.

Yes, because nobody ever bashed a draft pick before McD was here. ::)

People complained before and they will complain now.

lex
03-13-2009, 07:04 AM
I would not be surprised at all if we there was no option to move down and McD's favorite DL players were taken already, to see either Davis or Jenkins picked at #12, or even Jackson (that would be a little bit of a stretch though. CB's just hold more value then LB's. But I'm hoping we can move down 6 spots while adding a mid to low 2nd or high 3rd.

Ahem, dont you mean Xanders favorite DL players?

Once again, nice work, Pat.

montrose
03-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Yes, because nobody ever bashed a draft pick before McD was here. ::)

People complained before and they will complain now.

Oh I know. But my point was that I expect Team Anti-McDaniels to bash the pick no matter who it is.

Rohirrim
03-13-2009, 08:16 AM
This draft is rich with excellent LBs. Taking a S at 12 would be brain-dead.

Kaylore
03-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Yeah, but who the hell says Jenkins is one of the top 12 players? I sure don't think so. And it's not just best player available. These war rooms place value on certain positions. Safety is not really a high value position and he certainly is above average as a CB but not a top 12 talent. What if the best player available is a QB or LT? Do you still draft them? No. It's never as simple as that. Need does come into play.

Sure, you put a premium on linemen because they play every down so you get more bang for your buck. But let's assume others are doing the same thing. What if our picks comes and Curry, Orakpo, Brown, Raji, Jackson and Crabtree are all off the board and only Jenkins is left? Are we supposed to take an offensive tackle? That would be a complete waste of money even if the value is good. Rey Maulaluga is supposed to be football dumb and would be a reach at 12 anyway. Cushing? That seems like a lot invested in an already crowded unit. Do we reach for someone we don't need as much like a running back? If you're going to do that, than just take the value with the greater need and go CB. Jenkins is the best corner in the draft and incredibly talented. Whether he can play safety or corner, we desperately need youth at both and so he makes a lot of sense.

Kaylore
03-13-2009, 08:33 AM
This draft is rich with excellent LBs. Taking a S at 12 would be brain-dead.

Not if it was the best one in the draft. Safeties anymore as asked to do a lot more for their teams than they used to. An excellent safety in the right scheme can be a boon to your entire defense. You look at the best defensive teams anymore and one common denominator (among many things) is a dominant safety. Both super bowl teams had two of the best safeties in football.

Now all things being equal, I agree a defensive lineman is of greater value than a linebacker is of greater value than a corner or safety. But you take the best player available, especially when that player fills an immediate need.

kdissette
03-13-2009, 08:34 AM
personally i think this is just bait to lure someone to trade up and take him.

Drek
03-13-2009, 08:39 AM

Should be fun.

I'd prefer a front seven pick, but I don't want them overpicking a 5-tech like Tyson Jackson and there is a good chance we won't have many elite front seven guys left.

As for trading down, it takes two to tango and I'm skeptical we'll find a buyer for the #12 spot come draft day. We need to get lucky and find a team enamored with Andre Smith despite his issues, or really looking to jump up after a QB (Freeman or Sanchez since Stafford will probably be off the board already).

Antrel Rolle went 8th overall as a CB converting to safety and he's worked out quite well for the Cards. Malcolm Jenkins is a superior player to him in most every way as far as I can see, so where's the problem?

He'd give our D a legit center fielder who can make turnovers, help the CBs over the top, and step into a nickel corner role as needed. He'd also get a year of 2nd string/nickel CB work under his belt behind some quality experienced DBs in Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, Andre Goodman, and of course Champ Bailey.

Beantown Bronco
03-13-2009, 08:40 AM

I don't like absolutes. What if it's an offensive tackle or punter? (sad that those have become the only two positions in my mind that are "locked up"....used to be able to include QB, TE and WR just a few months ago....but not any more)

Kaylore
03-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I don't like absolutes. What if it's an offensive tackle or punter? (sad that those have become the only two positions in my mind that are "locked up"....used to be able to include QB, TE and WR just a few months ago....but not any more)

You missed my other posts. Of course there are exceptions. Taking an offensive tackle wouldn't make as much sense (though if a stud fell to us and there was nothing else worth it, I'd take the tackle and trade Harris) as taking a position of need. But once you identify your needs, you have to take the best player available.

WolfpackGuy
03-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Having good cornerbacks is a failed experiment in Denver.
Just say no and find a damn safety or two.

Rohirrim
03-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Not if it was the best one in the draft. Safeties anymore as asked to do a lot more for their teams than they used to. An excellent safety in the right scheme can be a boon to your entire defense. You look at the best defensive teams anymore and one common denominator (among many things) is a dominant safety. Both super bowl teams had two of the best safeties in football.

Now all things being equal, I agree a defensive lineman is of greater value than a linebacker is of greater value than a corner or safety. But you take the best player available, especially when that player fills an immediate need.

Everything I've read about Jenkins says he's a shut-down corner. The only question anybody has ever raised about him is his physicality, that he played a ton of zones and did not get challenged man on man very often. It would be a waste to move him to FS. Then, there is also the question of being from OSU whose players tend to come into the NFL and not live up to the hype. But that's nitpicking. The reality is, the Broncos need the highest impact player they can get with the #12 pick. The most bang for the buck. I think a guy like Cushing would bring more to the table than Jenkins. Cushing was Pete Carroll's field general. He can play every LB position. He's extremely football smart and he's a great tackler. IMO, a guy like that (who could help direct DJ and the rest of the D) would have a greater impact than another shutdown corner, or even a FS, which we don't need immediately. The Broncos need help on the front seven right now. The secondary is the strongest unit the D has.

broncosteven
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Sure, you put a premium on linemen because they play every down so you get more bang for your buck. But let's assume others are doing the same thing. What if our picks comes and Curry, Orakpo, Brown, Raji, Jackson and Crabtree are all off the board and only Jenkins is left? Are we supposed to take an offensive tackle? That would be a complete waste of money even if the value is good. Rey Maulaluga is supposed to be football dumb and would be a reach at 12 anyway. Cushing? That seems like a lot invested in an already crowded unit. Do we reach for someone we don't need as much like a running back? If you're going to do that, than just take the value with the greater need and go CB. Jenkins is the best corner in the draft and incredibly talented. Whether he can play safety or corner, we desperately need youth at both and so he makes a lot of sense.

Or Trade down...

broncofan7
03-13-2009, 10:38 AM
If Crabtree is there at 12 (which I highly doubt) I'd take him too even though I don't believe WR is a huge need......i'm with the crew who suggest taking the best avail @ 12.....

Kaylore
03-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Or Trade down...

Well that's what I've wanted all along. In fact I'd give a few points of value away to trade down. The second round looks golden this year.

Kaylore
03-13-2009, 11:23 AM
The Broncos need help on the front seven right now. The secondary is the strongest unit the D has.

See that's where I disagree. We are pretty young at linebacker and just signed a slew of guys. I think between DJ, Larsen and Woodyard, at least one if not all three of those guys can really contribute in addition to the recent signings. My issue with the secondary is Dawkins has one good year left, maybe two. Renaldo Hill is an upgrade to what we have, but so is the turd I left this morning in my toilet. Neither are a long term solution. Goodman is thirty and while he'll be a serviceable second corner, Bailey is getting older too. I wouldn't mind seeing this position addressed now so we're not left out in the cold when age catches up with these guys.

Now having said that, I don't have a problem with Cushing either. I wouldn't mind either one. I just don't agree that drafting Jenkins there would be a "brain-dead" move. You make it sound like picking him would be the stupidest move ever and it would actually make a lot of sense.

socalorado
03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
See that's where I disagree. We are pretty young at linebacker and just signed a slew of guys. I think between DJ, Larsen and Woodyard, at least one if not all three of those guys can really contribute in addition to the recent signings. My issue with the secondary is Dawkins has one good year left, maybe two. Renaldo Hill is an upgrade to what we have, but so is the turd I left this morning in my toilet. Neither are a long term solution. Goodman is thirty and while he'll be a serviceable second corner, Bailey is getting older too. I wouldn't mind seeing this position addressed now so we're not left out in the cold when age catches up with these guys.

Now having said that, I don't have a problem with Cushing either. I wouldn't mind either one. I just don't agree that drafting Jenkins there would be a "brain-dead" move. You make it sound like picking him would be the stupidest move ever and it would actually make a lot of sense.

Your right, both make sense. I think posters are just sick of DENs secondary being all world, and it not making a bit of difference.
Cushing is the field general that DEN desperately needs to run Nolans D.
I also think that #48 should be spent on either C.Barwin or being pakaged to move back up and get either C.Mathews or R.Brace.

Rohirrim
03-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Maybe I overstated the case by saying "brain dead." I just think the impact a CB or S would make would come a couple of years down the road. Hell, even if we have some long in the tooth guys coming in, they might be hard to pry out of their starting jobs this year or next. They might not be as fast as Jenkins, but the experience curve probably moves them ahead of any rookie in the secondary the Broncos have as it stands now.

I think a guy like Cushing would come in and start right away. I love WWII, but can't imagine where he'd play on a 3-4 other than in a platoon role on the weak side. Hell, he might fit better as a S which makes it possible Jenkins only shot is in a CB role. So, would Jenkins bump out Goodman or Champ in his first year? ??? I still see Moss as the SOLB, at least out of the gate. So, hypothetically, you could start out with DJ, Larsen, Cushing and Moss. Plus, I'm always wary of OSU guys. Actually, of anybody coming out of the Big 10. Of course, you can always argue that we're not really going anywhere for a couple of years (at least) anyway, so in that context, BPA makes the most sense.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
if we take Jenkins or any other player for the secondary in the 1st, i am going to freak out and literally drive down to the practice facilities when camp starts and stand there all day every day waving a sign calling for McDaniels head on a stick.

That should accomplish something. :rolleyes:

HILife
03-13-2009, 11:47 AM

Oh, PLEASE let it be true. We are HURTING for a good young long snapper.

rmsanger
03-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I think we go w/BPA drafts for the next 3 years... I for one am not "Bullish" on our team's chances for some time and think we need to go through a throurough rebuilding phase.

Remember Ed freaking Reed... What if this guy is the next version of him to our scouting department. I'm more of a long-term investment horizing guy than a team full of short-term bust linemen.

BroncoLifer
03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I think we go w/BPA drafts for the next 3 years... I for one am not "Bullish" on our team's chances for some time and think we need to go through a throurough rebuilding phase.

Amen, brother -- give us the BPA!

oubronco
03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
If Crabtree is there at 12 (which I highly doubt) I'd take him too even though I don't believe WR is a huge need......i'm with the crew who suggest taking the best avail @ 12.....

it would be a dream come true