PDA

View Full Version : What do you believe happened in the initial Cutler-trade talks?

montrose
03-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Just wanted some clarification of who believes what.

NFLBRONCO
03-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Denver started trade talks is my best guess but, I'm not 100% sure though. Cassel and Josh's connection brings alot of truth possibility to it.

Popps
03-12-2009, 04:14 PM
My guess....

Cassel was obviously being traded somewhere. Everyone knew it. Offers were probably coming in at a good clip. Our front office obviously has ties... and NE's front office obviously knows how highly everyone who's worked with Cassel thinks of him. So, it would make perfect sense to bring in Denver to the conversation.

A phone call was made... and whatever offers were out there were floated Denver's way. Denver got involved in negotiations... floated a counter-offer, but by the time it could have worked out, something changed on one of the counter-party sides, and a deal went through.

I believe that we may have agreed in principle to something. I don't believe it was our 12 for Cassel straight up.

But, I think nothing ever got to a concrete stage... and talks fell apart.
I think the mere fact that we considered an offer was enough "meat" for a reporter to run with.... and here we are.

frerottenextelway
03-12-2009, 04:17 PM
I think one of the silliest points discussed in here is who called who first. It's not as though if they rec'd the first call that they suddenly became aware that Jay Cutler has trade value.

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I believe that we agreed to a deal to get Cassel but it was done too late. You don't have so many teams floating around trying to get a specific young Pro Bowl Franchise QB by mere coincidence.

theAPAOps5
03-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I think frerott will never get over this attempt at the dismantling of his Denver Cutlers. He may have to fall back to his second favorite team the Denver Broncos.

frerottenextelway
03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
I think frerott will never get over this attempt at the dismantling of his Denver Cutlers. He may have to fall back to his second favorite team the Denver Broncos.

I think you're in love with me, which I find disturbing.

That One Guy
03-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I think everyone figured Cassel would go for more so when McD heard what the offer being discussed with KC was, he tried to jump in quick and pull off the trade. Cutler is better than Cassel but Cassel was being sold low while Cutler could be sold high and McD knows he can win with Cassel. The gap between the two wouldn't be as big as the difference in the trade value and McD saw it as a great opportunity to upgrade the team as a whole. He just didn't get it done in time.

scttgrd
03-12-2009, 04:26 PM

I don't think there enough room for you, he has Josh.

Br0nc0Buster
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I believe that we agreed to a deal to get Cassel but it was done too late. You don't have so many teams floating around trying to get a specific young Pro Bowl Franchise QB by mere coincidence.

Why does it have to be coincidence?
Teams called Denver and Denver simply didnt say "no" right away.
So word got out that Denver could move anyone, even Cutler for the right price.

There is no reliable account to suggest we agreed to any deals or we initiated talks.

The same sources that are saying we agreed to a deal or tried to move Cutler are the same ones who said Shanahan was going to be the head coach of the Chiefs.

Taco John
03-12-2009, 04:50 PM
The Broncos cobbled together a deal to trade Jay Cutler and then got cold feet on it, and stalled too long.

theAPAOps5
03-12-2009, 04:51 PM

LOL

:kiss:

theAPAOps5
03-12-2009, 04:52 PM
The Broncos cobbled together a deal to trade Jay Cutler and then got cold feet on it, and stalled too long.

wrong, but there is no use arguing :notworthy

but notice you and Popps agreed on something in your vote choice :wiggle:

frerottenextelway
03-12-2009, 04:58 PM
but notice you (Taco) and Popps agreed on something in your vote choice :wiggle:

I think this completely confirms my point that the answer to the question is moot! ;)

frerottenextelway
03-12-2009, 04:59 PM
LOL

:kiss:

Okay... I'm turned on. Meet me the Holiday Inn in 30.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Why does it have to be coincidence?
Teams called Denver and Denver simply didnt say "no" right away.
So word got out that Denver could move anyone, even Cutler for the right price.

There is no reliable account to suggest we agreed to any deals or we initiated talks.

The same sources that are saying we agreed to a deal or tried to move Cutler are the same ones who said Shanahan was going to be the head coach of the Chiefs.

Really. I'm not saying that we agreed to any deal.

but tobelieve that we said no out of had is just pure folly.

USMCBladerunner
03-12-2009, 05:35 PM
This is straight out of my ass, but that doesn't ditinguish it from the rest of the discussion so...

them - "is Cutler available? what would it take to get him?"
us- "well, it starts with Cassel from NE, and then we'll need additional compensation from you."
them - "how much compensation?"
us -"a lot"
them - "insert some offer here"
us- "insert some counter offer here"
them - "ah hell never mind, Kansas City just traded him straight up for a higher pick than we were offering NE, AND they took Vrabel's contract off their hands. See ya around.
us- "yeah, take it easy."

tick tock tick tock...**** hits fan in Denver

Popps
03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
wrong, but there is no use arguing :notworthy

but notice you and Popps agreed on something in your vote choice :wiggle:

Taco and I pretty much see eye to eye on everything.

Br0nc0Buster
03-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Really. I'm not saying that we agreed to any deal.

but tobelieve that we said no out of had is just pure folly.

I have yet to see a reliable source that says we agreed to trade Cutler.
We listened, prolly even considered, but ultimately turned them down.

BMarsh615
03-12-2009, 06:18 PM

:spit: No ****!

Archer81
03-12-2009, 06:20 PM
FO does what they are supposed to do...improve the roster. Talking about a trade and potential compensation is not the same thing as actually going through with it...Actions are more important than words. Jay is still on the roster, thats good enough for me.

:Broncos:

DBroncos4life
03-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't think we turned them down I think they fell through.

Cmac821
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
I think it was an attack by Billichek, or what ever his name is.

One giant conspiracy to ruin McDaniel

elsid13
03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
The Denver front office might not officially started the trade talks, but someone when that circle let the idea float that they were willing to listen to trade proposals for any player on the team including Cutler. But if Cutler was involved then starting QB that McKid could work with was required in return.

GoHAM
03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't think McKid proposed the idea, but I also don't believe he turned any deal down. I think he was just too slow to pull the trigger on a deal and Pioli beat him to it.

So maybe I should have voted "other".

theAPAOps5
03-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Whatever dude, I think cutler is in the wrong so I am a Josh fan?

I'll mark you down as a bandwagon fan. Or should I say a Denver Cutlers fan. sad when fans put a player above the team.

Rock Chalk
03-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I think everyone figured Cassel would go for more so when McD heard what the offer being discussed with KC was, he tried to jump in quick and pull off the trade. Cutler is better than Cassel but Cassel was being sold low while Cutler could be sold high and McD knows he can win with Cassel. The gap between the two wouldn't be as big as the difference in the trade value and McD saw it as a great opportunity to upgrade the team as a whole. He just didn't get it done in time.

Huh, thats actually a very reasonable, and IMO, likely situation.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
03-12-2009, 09:36 PM
I have yet to see a reliable source that says we agreed to trade Cutler.
We listened, prolly even considered, but ultimately turned them down.

Like I said "I'm not saying that we agreed to any deal. But to believe that we said "no" out of hand is just pure folly."
The problem was that They entertained the notion that They would trade Cutler. Not that They did.

BroncoBuff
03-13-2009, 12:17 AM

I'll buy this as a likely scenario ...

I sure wish somewhere in there they would've found time to call Jay and given him a heads up, full disclosure. I'll bet even Jay would admit that Cassel plus #1 plus #20 would have been a pretty good deal, knowing Cassel's experience with Josh.

alpine
03-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I sure wish somewhere in there they would've found time to call Jay and given him a heads up, full disclosure. I'll bet even Jay would admit that Cassel plus #1 plus #20 would have been a pretty good deal, knowing Cassel's experience with Josh.

I just don't get this whole "they should have called Jay" thing. If you buy into that theory then you have the possibility of one very peed-off QB (which in this scenario happened) against the certainty of one.

But anyway, my own theory, since everyone is letting their imaginations run riot:

Cook: So how'd the work on the playbook go, Jay? You get on with McDaniels OK?
Cutler: He's alright, but it's a system thing, and that's just not something I'm into, y'know.
Cook: OK kid, you gave it a go, but we need to find you a better place for your skills and that's going to be better for you in the long run.