PDA

View Full Version : Why no interest in Cody?

Hotrod
03-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Anyone know why nobody has snatched up Shaun Cody. 6'4 310lb I really thought he would be signed up early but Ive heard very little mention of him.

He is a guy I really had hoped we would look at early on. Am I missing something here??? Is he asking too much??? WTF is going on in this world.

~Crash~
03-12-2009, 07:39 AM
He about died last year right ?

broncofan
03-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I remember a lot of people here being very high on him going into the draft in '05.

Hotrod
03-12-2009, 07:44 AM
He about died last year right ?

I didnt know anything about that. He is farily young 26 and was a high 2nd rounder. I must be missing something here. I know last year or so there were rumors flying that Denver and Detroit were in trade talks over this guy and foxworth.

With our Dline issues I'm just wondering why we would not look at this guy.

~Crash~
03-12-2009, 07:49 AM
car wreck I belive google it ...

Hotrod
03-12-2009, 07:53 AM
He played in 16 games last year I dont find anything about a car crash or almost dying. Are we talking about the same guy?

Dagmar
03-12-2009, 07:54 AM
<script type="text/javascript"> //document.getElementById('number_of_comments').inne rHTML = commentCount+" Comments"; </script> <!-- // Story Content // --> <script> if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[i][4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[i][0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msn.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } </script> New Orleans will host Detroit defensive tackle Shaun Cody on a free-agent visit Monday, a source told FOXSports.com.
A 2005 second-round draft choice, Cody has started 11 games during his four seasons with the Lions. He finished last season with a career-high 36 tackles and three passes defensed.The 6-foot-4, 310-pound Clancy would likely serve as a backup behind Saints starting defensive tackles Sedrick Ellis and Kendrick Clancy.

rugbythug
03-12-2009, 07:55 AM
He may still be over valuing himself. And He has been labeled an underachiever. That is a bit of a deathblow especially for DL

Hotrod
03-12-2009, 07:58 AM
He may still be over valuing himself. And He has been labeled an underachiever. That is a bit of a deathblow especially for DL

This would have been Shannys guy :)

oubronco
03-12-2009, 07:59 AM
cause we are signing long snappers

Liquid Courage
03-12-2009, 08:10 AM
cause we are signing long snappers

. . . . . and Running Backs . . . . LOTS of Running Backs

~Crash~
03-12-2009, 08:10 AM
He played in 16 games last year I dont find anything about a car crash or almost dying. Are we talking about the same guy?

may be I am wrong thought it was him ...

SouthStndJunkie
03-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Anyone know why nobody has snatched up Shaun Cody. 6'4 310lb I really thought he would be signed up early but Ive heard very little mention of him.

He is a guy I really had hoped we would look at early on. Am I missing something here??? Is he asking too much??? WTF is going on in this world.

Nobody has signed him because he sucks.

People still equate him with his USC days....but as a pro, he has stunk.

4 years and only 1.5 sacks (and those came in his rookie year).

He has no power or strength and gets manhandled by offensive lineman.

rugbythug
03-12-2009, 08:20 AM

But other than that?

Hotrod
03-12-2009, 08:21 AM

Well that settles that thanks. I guess I was doing the same thing....thinking back to his college career.

SouthStndJunkie
03-12-2009, 08:22 AM
But other than that?

He would have been a perfect scrub to throw into the abyss that we called our defensive line rotation of the last few years.

Kaylore
03-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Another USC bust.

oubronco
03-12-2009, 08:24 AM
where's Shanny?

SouthStndJunkie
03-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I have also heard that he has zero work ethic and has done little to make himself better as a pro.

In other words....at USC he got by on ability....in the pros everyone has ability and you have to bust your ass.

SouthStndJunkie
03-12-2009, 08:27 AM
This glowing evaluation has been brought to you by South Stands Junkie.

Drek
03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
may be I am wrong thought it was him ...

You're thinking of Dan Cody, DE/OLB drafted by the Ravens several years back.

I don't know how you're grading him out, but however you did it you certainly missed last season.

He's never been a pass rush guy. He's a gap filler, run stuffing type. He was one of the lone bright spots on the Lions last year and played with a non-stop motor even when almost the entire rest of the unit around him was giving up.

If we still ran a 4-3 he'd be a worthwhile signing as a rotational NT. In the 3-4 he could probably make a pretty solid rotational strong side 5-tech DE. I'd be very happy with signing him.

He visited New Orleans this past Monday. He's clearly a second tier of FA guy, and behind the likes of Haynesworth, Canty, Haye, and Olshansky (who himself slipped to the second tier of FA signings), so this is just about when he should start getting attention.

Hotrod
03-12-2009, 08:33 AM

I don't know how you're grading him out, but however you did it you certainly missed last season.

He's never been a pass rush guy. He's a gap filler, run stuffing type. He was one of the lone bright spots on the Lions last year and played with a non-stop motor even when almost the entire rest of the unit around him was giving up.

If we still ran a 4-3 he'd be a worthwhile signing as a rotational NT. In the 3-4 he could probably make a pretty solid rotational strong side 5-tech DE. I'd be very happy with signing him.

He visited New Orleans this past Monday. He's clearly a second tier of FA guy, and behind the likes of Haynesworth, Canty, Haye, and Olshansky (who himself slipped to the second tier of FA signings), so this is just about when he should start getting attention.

I dont follow the lions obviously but between what you and SSJ say I'd think a huge "contract season" red flag would be flying at me.

Rohirrim
03-12-2009, 08:37 AM
This would have been Shannys guy :)

Only if he also had some kind of medical issue. Ha!

TonyR
03-12-2009, 08:43 AM

Funny how you say this now but in the weeks leading up to FA he was being pimped by several people here. For some reason they are all silent now. Since none of them seem willing to show their faces I may have to go digging to remind myself who they are...

SouthStndJunkie
03-12-2009, 08:47 AM

I know he is not a pass rusher, but I disagree on his performance. I get to watch the Lions quite a bit, living 45 minutes from Detroit, and have never been impressed with him.

Obviously, the rest of the league agrees, as nobody is tripping over themselves to sign him....and the ones that do are looking at him as a reserve/rotation guy.

Are the Lions making any attempt to re-sign him?

Dendave
He's just not good

SouthStndJunkie
Funny how you say this now but in the weeks leading up to FA he was being pimped by several people here. For some reason they are all silent now. Since none of them seem willing to show their faces I may have to go digging to remind myself who they are...

I said it now because the thread asked the question....

Go ahead and look....it was not me who was pimping him.

Drek
03-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I dont follow the lions obviously but between what you and SSJ say I'd think a huge "contract season" red flag would be flying at me.

He's always been a pretty hard worker, he just never got a lot of opportunities and in general he's a poor fit for the Tampa 2 defense since he doesn't pass rush nearly as well as he'd need to in that scheme (or was hyped to coming out of college).

He isn't a stud by any means, and I wouldn't want to pay him more than a couple mill a year. But he's got good size, bulk, and skills for a 5-tech DE. He'd be a solid pickup for us who could be about ready to burst on the scene.

BroncoBuff
03-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Another USC bust.

Actually, another USC DT the Saints have is pretty good, Sedrick Ellis. He had 4 sacks as a rookie even though he missed several games.

We still need NTs, though ....

TonyR
03-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Go ahead and look....it was not me who was pimping him.

Sorry if I gave the impression I was "accusing" you of anything. I just wonder where all the people who mentioned him as a good FA target went.

Two other guys who got mentioned a lot who I think are still available are Mike Wright (DL from NE) and Mike Brown (S from Chi).

Drek
03-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Sorry if I gave the impression I was "accusing" you of anything. I just wonder where all the people who mentioned him as a good FA target went.

Two other guys who got mentioned a lot who I think are still available are Mike Wright (DL from NE) and Mike Brown (S from Chi).

Wright wouldn't be a bad signing, but he's got very limited upside and is strictly a backup/injury replacement dual purpose DE/NT in the 3-4.

Mike Brown never stays healthy, and so will have a hard time getting much in the way of guarantees from any team.

HILife
03-12-2009, 09:59 AM

How is he at RB? I hear we need a few of those.

MVP-06
03-12-2009, 10:02 AM
. . . . . and Running Backs . . . . LOTS of Running Backs

well, we did lose like 8 of them last year to injury

Kaylore
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Actually, another USC DT the Saints have is pretty good, Sedrick Ellis. He had 4 sacks as a rookie even though he missed several games.

We still need NTs, though ....
Mike Patterson is pretty good too.

I'm just busting on the Trojans, though. :~ohyah!:

azbroncfan
03-12-2009, 03:29 PM
No interest for the same reason that John Engelberger is getting no love. Super talented with poor coaching. ~Popps~ Uhh

gyldenlove
03-12-2009, 03:50 PM
People are scared of perennial under-achievers.

I think he will get signed, but I think it will be after the draft when a team needs to fill their roster.

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Another USC bust.

Quite a common trend wouldn't you say?

DBroncos4life
03-12-2009, 07:32 PM
He might be a bust but one would think he should be on a roster before this guy.....J'Vonne Parker