PDA

View Full Version : Bus Cook Back Story on the MHR Very Very Interesting.

rugbythug
03-11-2009, 09:04 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/3/11/794217/jay-cutler-bus-cook-and-th

This needs read.

theAPAOps5
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah and Bus Cook only cares about his clients and has no track record! Thanks for sharing this Rugby.

yerner
03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
no surprise. people who think cutler has not power are wrong. seriously, how much would danny snyder pay for him right now. 60 million guaranteed?

Popcorn Sutton
03-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Interesting...

Natedogg
03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Mile High Report is a great site.

Man-Goblin
03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Doesn't surprise me. There is a real possibility that this guy has been the catalyst for everything that has been going on.

Nobody knows the facts, but it has been reported that Cutler may have asked for a trade after it became obvious that Bates was not coming back. If that is true, I would not put it past Cook to have planned this whole backlash to the Cassel discussions out.

UberBroncoMan
03-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Doesn't surprise me. There is a real possibility that this guy has been the catalyst for everything that has been going on.

Nobody knows the facts, but it has been reported that Cutler may have asked for a trade after it became obvious that Bates was not coming back. If that is true, I would not put it past Cook to have planned this whole backlash to the Cassel discussions out.

I firmly believe that Cook has been a huge instigator in what's gone on. He's taking advantage of a bad situation for his own benefit.

http://www.apollowebworks.com/atheism/images/emperor.jpg

Bus Cook: Everything that has transpired here is according to my design!

ludo21
03-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Seems we have covered this here already.

Bus is behind this all and needs to be **** canned by Cutler so he can think rationally. Sure Cutler is a big boy, but agents can be manipulative.

Man-Goblin
03-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Seems we have covered this here already.

Bus is behind this all and needs to be **** canned by Cutler so he can think rationally. Sure Cutler is a big boy, but agents can be manipulative.

Cook isn't going anywhere. Agents are a part of the business as much as trade discussions are.

theAPAOps5
03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Cook isn't going anywhere. Agents are a part of the business as much as trade discussions are.

Yep you are very correct.

SureShot
03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm getting the feeling that this whole Cutler thing is more than travishamockery.:sunshine:

Wes Mantooth
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Wow. Wouldn't this make his clients complete tools?

HEAV
03-11-2009, 10:10 PM
routinely "out of town" or uanvailable

Seems oddly familar...

Jay hasn't been in town for how long?

Dudeskey
03-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Ain't this some ****. A must read imo...

http://www.rubbercat.net/nhc/bump.jpg

Popps
03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
We've talked about this here some, but not enough.

I've questioned why Jay's handlers haven't reeled him in, yet.

But, it could all be part of a plan. Who knows. It just seems to me that if you really want out of town, you shouldn't act like a problem-case to make it happen. You poison your own waters.

I think we may have a case of Cutler being a bit of a head-case, and an agent who is going to find a way to exploit that to his advantage.

Popps
03-11-2009, 11:36 PM
With contract uncertainties existing for the future, and Cook's penchant and insatiable desire for long term guarantees, there is no doubt that SOMETHING will have to happen. Cutler will have to fire Bus, or the Broncos will have to make a substantial contract extension offer, or a big time trade will eventually come to pass.

Wasn't there talk (just conjecture) outside of this from someone (Shefter?) that Cutler wanted a long-term agreement before he reported, or something to that extent?

bpc
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
MHR is a great site, I love reading the content because it's well thought out and has some statistics to back things up.

It does give possible legs to different issues. I don't think Cutler is some head-case though. Nothing he's said or done points to that. I do believe that there is more to Bus than meets the eye and the situation needs to be observed.

This doesn't scale back McDaniels stupid moments. He's already had a fair amount in his short time here.

My feeling right now is of disappointment but that's been the case since December so no change really on this front with the Broncos.

McDman
03-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Like I said on BM, a tarring and feathering is needed. I hate this guy just as much as I hate Rosenhaus.

broncocalijohn
03-12-2009, 12:20 AM
I think it was a good read. Sometimes answers are not always cut n dry. Rumors, lies and such make up a "who's fault is it?" It might be that Bus Cook loves this type of play to get his way. Make Cutler (his client) and/or the Broncos look bad. I hope Cutler has more respect for himself and the Broncos to be lured into such crap. I can believe this as Cook is an agent. Boras of the NFL.

lazarus4444
03-12-2009, 12:24 AM
If MHR is right about bus cook (and it seems like they are) then i'm seeing cutler and mcdaniels in a whole new light. I see them having a great working relationship if bus cook is out of the picture. i also see the blame for all this drama squarely on bus cook's shoulders. In fact, i see the broncos and cutler as victims now, shame.

Down with bus cook!

laz

TheSportsGuru
03-12-2009, 04:57 AM
Thanks for some of the positive comments, guys.

For the audio that surrounds this story take a listen to MHR Radio from last night. I break down the time line and how Cook has created much of this firestorm by being the "Source close to the situation".

Broncoman13
03-12-2009, 05:39 AM
Yeah and Bus Cook only cares about his clients and has no track record! Thanks for sharing this Rugby.

Meh... I said this is what was happening 3 days ago! Pretty easy to see that Cutler and his "camp" are making this a bigger issue than it is so that he can get an early pay day and probably another huge one before his career is over. Really easy to see. 25 now. 6 year contract worth $100m. 31 at the end of the contract, probably reneg at 29 or 30 years of age. As my kids would say, "DUH"!

TheReverend
03-12-2009, 05:55 AM
With contract uncertainties existing for the future, and Cook's penchant and insatiable desire for long term guarantees, there is no doubt that SOMETHING will have to happen. Cutler will have to fire Bus, or the Broncos will have to make a substantial contract extension offer, or a big time trade will eventually come to pass.

Wasn't there talk (just conjecture) outside of this from someone (Shefter?) that Cutler wanted a long-term agreement before he reported, or something to that extent?

No. There was just Bill Williamson saying it might mend the fence, while shoveling hot dogs into his mouth.

theAPAOps5
03-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Meh... I said this is what was happening 3 days ago!

Want a cookie?

:thanku:

Beantown Bronco
03-12-2009, 07:19 AM
It just seems to me that if you really want out of town, you shouldn't act like a problem-case to make it happen. You poison your own waters.

Normally, I would agree with this......but if you look at the recent history of the NFL, quite a few of the "big name" guys traded or released got their wish to go elsewhere for big $ after handling things in a somewhat less than honorable manner.

Beantown Bronco
03-12-2009, 07:26 AM
From the article:

July 30, 2008: Reports leak that Packers president Mark Murphy flies to Mississippi to extend a lucrative olive branch: $20 million over 10 years for Favre to stay retired and remain with the Packer organization in a marketing capacity.

I'll bet Favre wishes that deal were on the table now....

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-12-2009, 08:55 AM
If MHR is right about bus cook (and it seems like they are) then i'm seeing cutler and mcdaniels in a whole new light. I see them having a great working relationship if bus cook is out of the picture. i also see the blame for all this drama squarely on bus cook's shoulders. In fact, i see the broncos and cutler as victims now, shame.

Down with bus cook!

laz

Bus Cook will only be removed if he is forced into it. For that to happen, it's going to take a story like this, full of agenty bull**** and intrigue, on a national level, to make it happen.

Since ESPN is in full press mode on "Cutler v. Broncos" coverage, you'd think they would run it... but then again, they're not exactly a paragon of journalistic integrity.

baja
03-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Good fine!!!!

This is a must read if you want to make sense out of this Cutler/Broncos thing.

baja
03-12-2009, 09:27 AM
What the hellhere it is for those too lazy to click on the link.

ay Cutler, Bus Cook, and the Soil From Which Record-Setting Contracts Grow
by styg50 on Mar 11, 2009 8:00 PM MDT in Strictly My Opinion 113 comments
You have all seen the IQ test or logic test questions where they ask you to "complete the next element in the series."

Try to complete this series:

Largest rookie contract in NFL history. (Steve McNair, 1995)
Largest contract in NFL history. (Brett Favre, 1997)
First $100,000,000 contract in NFL History (Brett Favre, 2001)
Record setting contract paying out the most in the first three years in NFL history (McNair, 2001)
Largest non-QB contract in NFL history. (Randy Moss, 2001)
Innovative contract structure involving guaranteed money for Record setting Rookie contract. (Calvin Johnson, 2007)
______________________________________??????
My guess, is it was supposed to read: Largest Contract in NFL History (Jay Cutler, 2010). All by Bus Cook.

But these kinds of deals don't just happen. There has to be groundwork laid down, the soil has to be "cultivated" if you will, and it this kind of cultivation that leads to the desperation and knee-jerk reactions needed to sign these kinds of deals.

You gotta believe that you are signing one of the best of all time. And you gotta feel like if you don't do it NOW, there won't be a second chance.

Enter Bus Cook, and his Methods of Madness.

Bus Cook has no doubt broke some ground and blazed some phenomenal trails for players in terms of earnings. But he has some methods that shouldn't be considered particularly tasteful.

The William Joseph Saga
It's not often that a #25 pick in the draft has the leverage to hold out, but in 2003, DT William Joseph was advised to do just that by Bus Cook, as they tried to work a top-of-the-line deal for the player. The holdout would extend into training camp and cost Joseph almost 3 weeks of practice, and standing with his team and coach.

''I thought we got real close again,'' Fassel said of the negotiations with Joseph and his agent, Bus Cook. ''But I thought we were going to get a response from him last night. We didn't get a response, nothing. Sometimes it bothers me, the lack of urgency. If we're apart and we can't see things, I'd understand. But it's all slotted. It's all there. Now I want to see a sense of urgency to get things done. I don't care if you've got to go sit in a phone booth together, just get it done. My occupation isn't that way. I'm always operating under a sense of urgency.''

The contract that was eventually settled on was record-setting in duration and upfront cash, with creative voiding situations to make the deal legal. Even as the deal was grinding to a stop, many in the Giants organization suspected what the trouble was, but refrained from speculating. Reporters working the beat however, took the hint.

''We've always got our guys,'' Fassel said in reference to the ability of Giants General Manager Ernie Acorsi to get players into camp on time. ''I have an idea what the holdup is, but I'm not going to say. All I know is we've not had a problem getting guys in.''

Cook did not return a phone call seeking comment on Fassel's remarks.

Most observers felt that this was Bus Cook getting back in on the record-setting action, after a two-year hiatus from the news. What particularly stood out to fans of the Giants, and to reporters covering the beat was how long the saga drew out to be. Instead of being settled quickly, one issue followed another in an unending news-cycle that wouldn't let it die.

It seemed that Bus had found a new way to cultivate the soil of record-setting contracts.

The Steve McNair Saga
When Steve McNair's health started to fail him, Cook stepped in quickly and issues came out about what kind of testing was done, and what kind of rights McNair had pertaining to the practice complex for the Titans. Normally this is a non-issue, settled between liability lawyers.

Instead it was a multiple-week saga that would not die, marred by misinformation about the stances of both the Titans and McNair.

Cook said. "Steve will be sad (to leave Nashville). He gave his heart and soul to that team and that town. But he'll be fine."

Like the Joseph saga before, McNair was routinely "out of town" or unavailable, yet there was always info available for the media, including speculation with the Ravens that would eventually blossom into a full-on trade. But initially, the trade talks had no legs:

"That's not going to happen," said Titans General Manager Floyd Reese, who downplayed the seriousness of the talks. "We talked early and they made an offer and it was insufficient, and it died right there. Right now all that is dead."

But Cook wasn't hearing of it.

When you raise something up yourself, care for it, craft it, and bend it to your will, you don't just let it die. McNair would eventually be traded to Baltimore, amidst legal ramifications involving suing the Titans and grievances filed by the Players Association.

The Brett Favre Saga
The Favre saga is recent history, so no need to re hash it, but here quickly is a breakdown of the length of time required to resolve the situation:

March 6, 2008: Favre retires from the Packers.
May 6, 2008: With the NFL draft out of the way, Packers general manager Ted Thompson visits Favre in Mississippi and has lunch on his back porch.
July 2, 2008: Favre reportedly has "itch" to come back and play.
July 3, 2008: Favre saying comeback is just a rumor.
July 8, 2008: Favre meets with McCarthy and Thompson and expresses a strong desire to play in 2008.
July 11, 2008: Favre asks the Packers for his unconditional release.
July 12, 2008: Packers refuse to release Favre.
July 27, 2008: Favre does not show up for Packers training camp.
July 29, 2008: Favre finally faxes his official request for reinstatement to the league.
July 30, 2008: Reports leak that Packers president Mark Murphy flies to Mississippi to extend a lucrative olive branch: $20 million over 10 years for Favre to stay retired and remain with the Packer organization in a marketing capacity.
July 31, 2008: Favre flies to Green Bay.
August 1, 2008: Favre is reportedly leaning towards taking the buyout.
August 3, 2008: Commissioner Roger Goodell reinstates Favre into the league.
Aug. 4, 2008: Favre and McCarthy have a one-on-one meeting which lasts five hours. The length of the meeting forces McCarthy to postpone a scheduled press conference.
Aug. 5, 2008: Favre and McCarthy indicate that it's likely better for both parties if Favre does not stay with the Packers. Favre goes home to Mississippi and trade talks heat up.
Aug. 6, 2008: Packers trade Favre to the New York Jets.
That is a lot of time, all of it tough on fans who didn't know whether their hero was staying or going, or who the bad guy was. Fans turned on Favre. Fans turned on the Packers.

In the end, Bus Cook got what he wanted.

Jay Cutler Saga
This one has only just begun, but make no mistake, Bus Cook is after something, and he will use Cutler and the Broncos to get it. It could barely be avoided when it was about Bus, Favre and the Packers. Now it is about us, and we won't get away from it anytime soon. Before the Shanahan firing, Cook was sure that Cutler was going to get the largest contract in NFL history in 2010. But with the advent of McXanders, and the Broncos new cap-friendly cash plans, that contract isn't realistic. For the Broncos.

Cook allegedly pursued a trade upon Shanny's dismissal. That isn't about Cutler, it is about finding a team that can afford the 2010 record-contract.
Broncos deny those trades, and then teams approach the Broncos with contract offers, specifically Tampa Bay. Maybe there is no connection, but The Tampa Tribune has connections with Cook, and are usually the first to report on his moves. It is possible that Cook helped engage teams in pursuing a trade for Cutler.
The Broncos are trying to clear up this inexplicable mess. What they don't realize, is there is no cleanup possible as long as Cook is in control.
Notice the similarities between the "leaks," "rumors," and "talks" that have occurred between the Favre and Jay sagas.

With contract uncertainties existing for the future, and Cook's penchant and insatiable desire for long-term guarantees, there is no doubt that SOMETHING will have to happen. Cutler will have to fire Bus, or the Broncos will have to make a substantial contract extension offer, or a big-time trade will eventually come to pass.

But as Cook's last three experiments have shown, the teams and coaches involved in these deals tend to come out scarred on the other end. While Cook pads his millions, and the players themselves get windfall via unexpected contracts, these deals tend to spell the beginning of the end for the players. Joseph ended his career in Oakland, McNair hit rock bottom in Baltimore, and Favre became a soap opera star but failed on the football field.

The Broncos and Cutler need to take back control, because this Bus is destined for a crash.

baja
03-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Now it all makes sense and the good news is it can be fixed if level heads prevail.

Kaylore
03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Cutler made Bus get him in camp on time, so this is partly in Cutler's hands. I hope he stays and he can make sure he will if he wants. If we trade him, I'd love to trade him to the Redskins. They'd give us their entire draft and some picks next year. There is something positive either way out of this.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Cutler made Bus get him in camp on time, so this is partly in Cutler's hands. I hope he stays and he can make sure he will if he wants. If we trade him, I'd love to trade him to the Redskins. They'd give us their entire draft and some picks next year. There is something positive either way out of this.

We might get Jason Campbell out of the deal too, which would give McD the low-turnover, high IQ quarterback that he was looking at in Cassel. Not that I think Cutler is unable to be those things. It's just that Campbell already IS those things.

Rohirrim
03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
What particularly stood out to fans of the Giants, and to reporters covering the beat was how long the saga drew out to be. Instead of being settled quickly, one issue followed another in an unending news-cycle that wouldn't let it die.

Badabing, badaboom.

And for those who kept squealing that McD, X and Bowlen weren't responding in the press enough about this, maybe now you know why. Seems they knew what they were dealing with early on.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-12-2009, 09:51 AM
What particularly stood out to fans of the Giants, and to reporters covering the beat was how long the saga drew out to be. Instead of being settled quickly, one issue followed another in an unending news-cycle that wouldn't let it die.

Badabing, badaboom.

You'll notice that the Favre cycle took, like, 4 months to resolve.

I swear to god, if that happens here...

/shoots self in balls

Natedogg
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
We might get Jason Campbell out of the deal too, which would give McD the low-turnover, high IQ quarterback that he was looking at in Cassel. Not that I think Cutler is unable to be those things. It's just that Campbell already IS those things.

I live in DC, watch almost all Skins games. Campbell sucks. I would hate hate hate for him to be our qb. ARM STRENGTH MATTERS.

Rulon Velvet Jones
03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I passed this along to Mosley who said he was going to flip it over to Burger Bill. We'll see if it makes it to the bigtime.

Kaylore
03-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I passed this along to Mosley who said he was going to flip it over to Burger Bill. We'll see if it makes it to the bigtime.

Bill Williamson? This is like Pulitzer grade stuff for him. They need to send it to Clayton at ESPN or Schefter where they'll actually do something with it.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Bill Williamson? This is like Pulitzer grade stuff for him. They need to send it to Clayton at ESPN or Schefter where they'll actually do something with it.

I sent it to Deadspin as well. They might run with it.

baja
03-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Someone send it to Adam...

Kaylore
03-12-2009, 10:14 AM
I bet by the next page someone will accuse the front office of putting this out. :rofl:

halfcreek
03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
If Cutler keeps listening to this bozo, his goose is Cooked and he will be on the next Bus out of town.

ZONA
03-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Screw Cook. He and Jay have NO leverage right now. Jay is not a FA. If he doesn't play, he sits, doesn't get paid and looks like a total SOB and then that will greatly reduce the number of possible suitors for when he does become a FA. You can still win by sitting a high paid QB down. Matt Leinart gets paid more then Jay and he's been sitting for 3 years and the Cards went to the Superbowl, and should have won if the crappy ref called blocking in the back on the long INT return.

Anyway - Cook has nothing to work with right now and the Broncos know it. I think that's why there is nothing new happening right now. The Broncos hold all the cards.

Rohirrim
03-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Maybe there is no connection, but The Tampa Tribune has connections with Cook, and are usually the first to report on his moves. It is possible that Cook helped engage teams in pursuing a trade for Cutler.

No. That's not possible. McD instigated this whole thing. Haven't you heard? When he said he was just taking phone calls, he lied. He's a dirty, stinking, liar and I want Shanahan back... :Whaaaa!:

TheSportsGuru
03-12-2009, 12:18 PM
We'll never see this posted by any 'Main Stream Media'. Why? Becuase Cook is the one providing them the information. he is the source. By printing any type of negative spin on the way Cutler is handling this, Cook may tell Gary Miller, or Vic Carucci or Williamson or Mortenson to kiss off.

They are not going to bite the hand that feeds, so the only thing you'll hear is how awful the Broncos are.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
We'll never see this posted by any 'Main Stream Media'. Why? Becuase Cook is the one providing them the information. he is the source. By printing any type of negative spin on the way Cutler is handling this, Cook may tell Gary Miller, or Vic Carucci or Williamson or Mortenson to kiss off.

They are not going to bite the hand that feeds, so the only thing you'll hear is how awful the Broncos are.

I understand that, but that's all the more reason someone like Deadspin should run the story. Deadspin was started BECAUSE of ESPN's bull**** coverage.

NYBronco
03-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Now it all makes sense and the good news is it can be fixed if level heads prevail.

... and an exchange of massive amounts of cash.

theAPAOps5
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
:spit:

Sandy Clough just quoted this word for word. Jim Armstrong says what do bloggers know they are sitting at home in their underwear. Sounds like he is feeling a little heat from the internets and his job security.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Sandy Clough just quoted this word for word. Jim Armstrong says what do bloggers know they are sitting at home in their underwear. Sounds like he is feeling a little heat from the internets and his job security.

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

What do you think Armstrong is doing as soon as he meets deadline? Sitting at home in his massive, floral print (I'm guessing here) underwear.

Chris
03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't give Cutler the bucks at this point.

lazarus4444
03-12-2009, 07:08 PM
More Bronco fans need to read this article.

bombay
03-12-2009, 07:17 PM

I emailed clough with this story, and that's how they opened their show.

Although he he said he's 'not buying it'.

theAPAOps5
03-12-2009, 07:19 PM
He is a big Cutler supporter. Has been since before this all happened. So I wouldn't expect him to buy it.

bombay
03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
He is a big Cutler supporter. Has been since before this all happened. So I wouldn't expect him to buy it.

Yeah. And he's damned defensive about it. He makes armstrong look smart on the subject, which is hard.

theAPAOps5
03-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Sandy is pretty good though, other than that Cutler love, he is pretty unbiased as can be. He always answers my emails and is pretty insightful. So compared to others in the Denver media I actually listen to him and like him.

bombay
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Sandy is pretty good though, other than that Cutler love, he is pretty unbiased as can be. He always answers my emails and is pretty insightful. So compared to others in the Denver media I actually listen to him and like him.

I agree. He's a very bright guy, and for the most part I agree with what he says. I think he's wrong about the Broncos willingness to trade Cutler, don't think it will happen.

TheSportsGuru
03-13-2009, 09:43 AM
I am waiting eagerly for them to update their podcast...I would love to hear what they had to say.

theAPAOps5
03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Well Armstrong scoffs at you in your underwear. Sandy says while it may not be true its out there. Then they go into detail about it.

Rohirrim
03-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Well Armstrong scoffs at you in your underwear. Sandy says while it may not be true its out there. Then they go into detail about it.

I can't believe these dopes who don't buy this angle to the story. We know without a doubt that this fits the M.O. of this agent, so what is the argument; Oh yeah, we know this is how Bus Cook operates, but not this time? ???

TheSportsGuru
03-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I sent a nice email. We'll see if they respond.

As for why they don't cover this angle.....

If Cook, or someone from Cook's office, is the "Source", why would any of these guys want to alienate him? Of course they don't. That's why Bill Williamson and others ignore these angles. They'll pass them off as something a guy in his underwear thinks up, but the truth is, Bus Cook's MO in the past has followed this pattern multiple times.

That is why I relish being independent. Im not trying to sell papers, or get ratings. I am trying to give Broncos fans the best information possible and allow them to make their own opinion, instead of getting Bus Cook's.....errrr...Mike Klis or Bill Williamson.

alpine
03-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Without wanting to take this too far off the Cutler topic, this is exactly the same point that Jon Stewart was making in the videos mentioned on the Daily Show/Cramer thread. The media and their subjects somewhere somehow got into a symbiotic and lazy and dependent relationship (speaking as an ex-journo).

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Without wanting to take this too far off the Cutler topic, this is exactly the same point that Jon Stewart was making in the videos mentioned on the Daily Show/Cramer thread. The media and their subjects somewhere somehow got into a symbiotic and lazy and dependent relationship (speaking as an ex-journo).

I agree completely, and that's one of the major reasons I got into net marketing and promo, because journalistic integrity has gone the way of the Dodo.