PDA

View Full Version : Post Story updated-Broncos POV entered

rugbythug
03-11-2009, 07:00 AM
So much for communication.
According to an NFL source, Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler came away from a conference call with team officials Monday believing that for the right deal, he would be traded between now and the NFL draft, which begins April 25.
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels would not comment, but a source close to the team said Broncos officials had a different interpretation of how the conference call went.

McDaniels was joined on one end of the conference call by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, general manager Brian Xanders and chief operating officer Joe Ellis. Cutler was in Nashville, Tenn., during the call and was accompanied by his agent, Bus Cook.

The Broncos, according to the source close to the team, say the
call was conducted in a nonconfrontational manner, with team officials willing to answer every question, and that the call ended positively. The possibility of a future trade never came up. However, Cutler came away disappointed.
Who says all good relationships start with communication?
Cutler, who has been the Broncos' starting quarterback dating to the final five games of the 2006 season, has been irked since learning McDaniels supposedly considered trading him to Tampa Bay in a deal that would have brought New England quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver. McDaniels coached Cassel at New England last season.
However, nothing presented by New England coach Bill Belichick came close to enticing McDaniels to accept a deal for Cassel, who instead was traded to Kansas City on Feb. 28.

McDaniels said he merely received calls on Cutler from other teams and announced through a team spokesman last week that "the Denver Broncos are not trading Jay Cutler. Period."

Still, leak of the proposed trade stung Cutler, who believed he was misled by McDaniels. According to both NFL sources, Cutler and Broncos officials entered the conference call believing any friction between the two parties would be resolved and the two sides would put the controversy behind them. Apparently, only the team officials came away satisfied. Cutler said the meeting didn't go as hoped, according to the NFL source, adding that McDaniels reiterated no one is untradable for the sake of improving the team and that the quarterback was expected to report for the team's offseason conditioning program that begins Monday. Offseason conditioning workouts are — by de-finition — "voluntary," but players understand coaches expect them to attend.

According to the source close to the Broncos, McDan-iels said only that the team looked forward to seeing Cutler on Monday.
Thus, the next stage in this McJaygate drama.

According to the NFL source, Cutler has not yet decided whether he would report Monday. If Cutler doesn't report to Broncos headquarters next week, he would be viewed as undermining McDaniels' authority. What would the team do then? The Broncos may have no other choice but to move the player who in recent years has been dubbed not just the quarterback, but the "franchise" quarterback.

Ill feelings between Cutler and the Broncos began when Bowlen fired longtime coach Mike Shanahan two days after the Broncos were trounced by San Diego in a playoff-or-bust game in the 2008 regular-season finale. Cutler blasted the decision, then stated his support for passing-game coordinator Jeremy Bates.

When McDaniels became the new head coach, Bates was not retained. But in time, Cutler had warmed to McDaniels. They had spent a couple of weeks together at the team's headquarters studying the New England offensive system right up until the time the free-agent, trading season opened Feb. 27.
The next day brought reports Cutler was involved in trade talks, and there has been a rift between the quarterback and his bosses ever since. The most immediate question confronting Broncoland is: Can Cutler and the team reconcile their differences by the time the team begins its offseason conditioning program Monday?

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

vancejohnson82
03-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Jay doesnt show up on Monday....

McDaniels at that point has to trade him.....

The drama ends...

Rohirrim
03-11-2009, 07:04 AM
I wonder what that agent is telling Cutler?

Man-Goblin
03-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Jay doesnt show up on Monday....

McDaniels at that point has to trade him.....

The drama ends...

If Jay doesn't show up he just becomes one of the several players across the league that didn't show up to workouts because they are unhappy. Most of the time those conflicts are resolved. The standoff would continue, so to say.

However, if he doesn't show up for the first mini-camp, which will be vital for familiarizing the team with the offense, then we have serious problems.

Man-Goblin
03-11-2009, 07:07 AM
I wonder what that agent is telling Cutler?

He's probably telling him the same thing he told Favre last year: "If you really do want out, here's how to do it! We may even be able to get a new beach house for me, er, I mean, an early extension from your new club!"

Rohirrim
03-11-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm starting to get the feeling that Jay has a motive in this that doesn't include coming back to Denver. Maybe he sees a way to play in Tennessee, or somewhere closer to home? Of course, the Titans do not have the ammo for such a trade. Detroit does. It's pretty obvious that Jay is deliberately misinterpreting much of what is going on here. I would say that it's his own immaturity, but now I realize he's got his agent sitting right there with him. Obviously, they're working on something.

ND Bronco Fan
03-11-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm starting to get the feeling that Jay has a motive in this that doesn't include coming back to Denver. Maybe he sees a way to play in Tennessee, or somewhere closer to home? Of course, the Titans do not have the ammo for such a trade. Detroit does. It's pretty obvious that Jay is deliberately misinterpreting much of what is going on here. I would say that it's his own immaturity, but now I realize he's got his agent sitting right there with him. Obviously, they're working on something.

Yeah they are working on landing a new deal and getting that guaranteed money before his health issues start to shut him down. Drinking with diabettes is a serious no no and this way both him and his agent get paid.

tsiguy96
03-11-2009, 07:27 AM

i think so too. i think he is making a situation where there isnt one on purpose for some other motive, higher paycheck, to get out of here etc...

Hulamau
03-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Yeah, for all we know Bus Cook may have lost most of his money investing with Tricky Madoff and sees moving Jay now as a way to recoup avoid bankruptcy now with a new fat contract negotiated with a new club. Perhaps a trade to Detroit with an offer to rework Jays contract now that he is a "Pro bowl QB'?

Of course, this is all speculation but so is 90% of what else is passing for real world scenarios :-) In an yevent, Jay is definitely adding unnecessary fuel; to the fire here and is fixing to get canned out of here if he doesn't straighten up and start flying with his head out of his arse!

tsiguy96
03-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Yeah, for all we know Bus Cook may have lost most of his money investing with Tricky Madoff and sees moving Jay now as a way to recoup right now with a new fat contract negotiating with a new club. A trade to Detroit with an offer to rework Jays contract now that he is a "Pro bowl QB'

Of course this is all speculation but so is 90% of what else is passing for real world scenarios :-)

right now its the only thing that REALLY makes sense, his agent has been there every step of the way. everything the team is saying he is completely believing the opposite. the team said multiple times you will not be traded, but cutler is still whining about being traded and being snubbed. i wonder if champ bailey, who is far better at his position then cutler will ever be at QB, whined and cried when he got traded? i doubt it, but the possibility of cutler being traded sent him on a tantrum.

Garcia Bronco
03-11-2009, 07:33 AM
If Jay doesn't show up he just becomes one of the several players across the league that didn't show up to workouts because they are unhappy. Most of the time those conflicts are resolved. The standoff would continue, so to say.

However, if he doesn't show up for the first mini-camp, which will be vital for familiarizing the team with the offense, then we have serious problems.

Agreed

bowtown
03-11-2009, 07:35 AM
right now its the only thing that REALLY makes sense, his agent has been there every step of the way. everything the team is saying he is completely believing the opposite. the team said multiple times you will not be traded, but cutler is still whining about being traded and being snubbed. i wonder if champ bailey, who is far better at his position then cutler will ever be at QB, whined and cried when he got traded? i doubt it, but the possibility of cutler being traded sent him on a tantrum.

Champ Bailey didn't whine or cry when he got traded because he asked to be traded. He got his way.

Gcver2ver3
03-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Jay Cutler is a putz...

according to what i'm reading from numerous reports, management told him that they have no intentions of trading him, discussed his role in their offense, told him they didn't initiate trade talks, and that at the end of the day, no one is untradeable if it makes the team better....

and all he heard from all that is that no one is untradeable?...so he really expects McD and crew to say that everyone BUT HIM is untradeable?...what world does he live in?...

he really seems to have this weird sense of entitlement and i don't know why...

dbfan21
03-11-2009, 07:38 AM
I am as big a Broncos fan as there is on this board. I loooove the Broncos...that being said, I am so sick of the speculation from the media, fans, etc. I am not worrying about a thing until it is confirmed by the FO that (a) Jay wants a trade, (b) Jay will get traded or (c) he is back in the fold happy to be a part of the new direction.

Popcorn Sutton
03-11-2009, 07:55 AM
This can't end good and Jay knows it. If he continues to whine and cry he will force Josh McDaniels hand because he has to stand by his nobody is bigger than the team concept.

Broncoman13
03-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Jay has a lot to gain from this! Force his way into a trade and then negotiate a new contract for 6 or 7 years. Think he won't get AT LEAST 7 years and $80m from a his new team? Probably a bonus of at least $20m and guaranteed $$$ worth $40m or so. And those are 'soft' numbers. Chances are he could very well get a $100-120m contract with up to $30m guaranteed. Only problem is, the Lions don't have that kind of money. But make no mistake, Jay Cutler's agent sees this as a way to expedite his pay day. Knowing that a team has to give up an awful lot to acquire Cutler, common sense tells you that they will want a new contract/extension to lock him up long term.

Rohirrim
03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
And maybe, like Meck pointed out, Jay sees his own health issues putting him in a position where he needs to get himself a big payday sooner than later.

bronco_diesel
03-11-2009, 08:40 AM
At this point I think Cutler is hurting himself. I do not believe that McDaniel’s handled this situation ideally, but at the end of the day how Jay is reacting shows more about his character than anything else.

I really like Cutler and am hopeful that he is the “franchise” QB who is capable of, and will help bring another Superbowl trophy to Denver. That said, Cutler is still one piece of the greater body which is the team.

Unfortunately, what I see is a young man who is a little too focused on himself right now. Granted, I can certainly understand the feelings that come along with the notion of being traded. However, it is during the tough times when you truly realize what a person is made of and get a glimpse of one’s character. I think what we are seeing is a greater realization of the immaturity of Cutler – and he will not be able to lead until he is able to get over himself and put the team ahead of himself.

The FO may have lied or misled Cutler –but his teammates have not. Cutler can only control what he is capable of. I believe he should step up, take the high road and go and be a great teammate to his fellow teammates. Prove to the team, the NFL, and the fans that they were stupid for considering any type of trade. In the end, he wins. Right now, he is giving validity to all his critics , along with the notion of trading him.

Cutler should look around him and see how blessed he is. See a nation where thousands of people are losing their jobs daily. It’s time to grow up and realize that the people who pay to watch him are dealing with much harder things than he is.

Haroldthebarrel
03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
there seems to be some core issues in this calamity that has not been put forward at all. I am beginning to think it isn't really the trade thing that has made Cutler mad. Maybe it is a bit in the picture but that cannot be the major reason. There has to several things involved in this and only some of it is reported.
Perhaps it has to do with money and health as much or more. Perhaps he has been told with the diabetes he should not expect more than ten years before his health deteriorates. And thus he wants the money now.

All I am saying is nothing but unproven speculations but this smells of contract talking a lot more than hurt feelings.

Rohirrim
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
there seems to be some core issues in this calamity that has not been put forward at all. I am beginning to think it isn't really the trade thing that has made Cutler mad. Maybe it is a bit in the picture but that cannot be the major reason. There has to several things involved in this and only some of it is reported.
Perhaps it has to do with money and health as much or more. Perhaps he has been told with the diabetes he should not expect more than ten years before his health deteriorates. And thus he wants the money now.

All I am saying is nothing but unproven speculations but this smells of contract talking a lot more than hurt feelings.

I'm also sure that if Cutler stays long enough to enter his FA period he will not shop himself around for the best deal he can find because his commitment to the Broncos is too strong for that to happen. ;D

ShutDownPoster
03-11-2009, 08:58 AM
He has a disease that is manageable and he can maintain a normal, healthy life as an average Joe or as a professional athlete. If it was uncontrolled and he was having serious complications then maybe there's reason to worry about his health. But for now there is no evidence of that - even if he's getting tanked regulaly. I have Type 1 for almost 20 years now, and have been getting tanked quite often. Granted I'm not a pro NFL player, but my health is top notch.

Some posters here have singled this out like it's a diabetic witch hunt.

Drek
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
He's probably telling him the same thing he told Favre last year: "If you really do want out, here's how to do it! We may even be able to get a new beach house for me, er, I mean, an early extension from your new club!"

This should be an eye opener to everyone on this board. Jay's agent just so happens to be the same guy who brokered Favre's way out of Green Bay.

A history of catering to QBs who think they're bigger than the organization they play for.

Haroldthebarrel
03-11-2009, 09:07 AM
He has a disease that is manageable and he can maintain a normal, healthy life as an average Joe or as a professional athlete. If it was uncontrolled and he was having serious complications then maybe there's reason to worry about his health. But for now there is no evidence of that - even if he's getting tanked regulaly. I have Type 1 for almost 20 years now, and have been getting tanked quite often. Granted I'm not a pro NFL player, but my health is top notch.

Some posters here have singled this out like it's a diabetic witch hunt.

I didnt mean to single out the diabetes as something other than to put out some speculations why I dont believe anymore this has to do with hurt feelings.

And as far as Cutlers diabetes goes, I dont know much about it but going out drinking before playing a pro football game cannot be good whether you are 100 percent healthy or not. How is it for you and drinking?

baja
03-11-2009, 09:07 AM
And maybe, like Meck pointed out, Jay sees his own health issues putting him in a position where he needs to get himself a big payday sooner than later.

Never thought of this. Could certainly be an issue.

jonny1
03-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I am as big a Broncos fan as there is on this board. I loooove the Broncos...that being said, I am so sick of the speculation from the media, fans, etc. I am not worrying about a thing until it is confirmed by the FO that (a) Jay wants a trade, (b) Jay will get traded or (c) he is back in the fold happy to be a part of the new direction.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One unnamed source says Jay wasn't happy with the way the call went, and "shazam" he's crying and moaning . . . .

Even though HE hasn't said a word about this since the first day, and the Broncos themselves said the phone call was positive, it's "Jay's a baby, ship him off for a bag of Oreos . . . "

I'm with you, let's see what ACTUALLY happens.

ShutDownPoster
03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
I didnt mean to single out the diabetes as something other than to put out some speculations why I dont believe anymore this has to do with hurt feelings.

And as far as Cutlers diabetes goes, I dont know much about it but going out drinking cannot before playing a pro football game cannot be good whether you are 100 percent healthy or not. How is it for you and drinking?

I used to drink a lot at his age...from 21-27. 4 or 5 times a week in my heyday. Used to come home at 6am, and get to work at nine with a mind numbing hangover - and it never impacted my diabetes - I guess I may be one of the 'lucky' ones. I guess most diabetics that drink heavily may not be as diligient as I am with my diet and meds.

MplsBronco
03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
I used to drink a lot at his age...from 21-27. 4 or 5 times a week in my heyday. Used to come home at 6am, and get to work at nine with a mind numbing hangover - and it never impacted my diabetes - I guess I may be one of the 'lucky' ones. I guess most diabetics that drink heavily may not be as diligient as I am with my diet and meds.

Since diabetes impacts you at the cellular level, you could yet pay for that someday.

Man-Goblin
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM

I used to date a girl that was diabetic and she used to drink quite a bit, as well. I think it's pretty common for young diabetics, even though it isn't recommended.

Kaylore
03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
At this point I think Cutler is hurting himself. I do not believe that McDaniel’s handled this situation ideally, but at the end of the day how Jay is reacting shows more about his character than anything else.

I really like Cutler and am hopeful that he is the “franchise” QB who is capable of, and will help bring another Superbowl trophy to Denver. That said, Cutler is still one piece of the greater body which is the team.

Unfortunately, what I see is a young man who is a little too focused on himself right now. Granted, I can certainly understand the feelings that come along with the notion of being traded. However, it is during the tough times when you truly realize what a person is made of and get a glimpse of one’s character. I think what we are seeing is a greater realization of the immaturity of Cutler – and he will not be able to lead until he is able to get over himself and put the team ahead of himself.

The FO may have lied or misled Cutler –but his teammates have not. Cutler can only control what he is capable of. I believe he should step up, take the high road and go and be a great teammate to his fellow teammates. Prove to the team, the NFL, and the fans that they were stupid for considering any type of trade. In the end, he wins. Right now, he is giving validity to all his critics , along with the notion of trading him.

Cutler should look around him and see how blessed he is. See a nation where thousands of people are losing their jobs daily. It’s time to grow up and realize that the people who pay to watch him are dealing with much harder things than he is.
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2628/clapj.gif (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clapj.gif)

theAPAOps5
03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2628/clapj.gif (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clapj.gif)

That gif is the best one of all the images you post.