PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys, what should McDaniels do instead?

Kaylore
03-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Many of you people who think Cutler is totally justified in being upset don't like what was reportedly said at this last meeting.

So tell me what would you do if you were Josh McDaniels?

And before you all say it, you can't resign, quit, kill yourself, or do anything that makes you no longer the head coach of the Broncos.

So again, what is the right thing for McDaniels to do or say to remain the head coach.

SouthStndJunkie
03-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Bake Jay a nice homemade apple pie.

theAPAOps5
03-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Like you are going to get an actual worthwhile reply from them...... :spit:

SureShot
03-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Like you are going to get an actual worthwhile reply from them...... :spit:

From them?:D

I think he should watch TV in his snuggie.

SoCalBronco
03-10-2009, 06:43 PM
1. Learn people skills. This means learning how to smooth things over, rather than barking commands at people.

2. Admit he's a liar.

3. Stop leaking things to try to smear people. That won't win them over. It will also make enemies for you in the future.

theAPAOps5
03-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Told you that you wouldn't get a worthwhile answer.

These idiots want him to admit to something he didn't do. Why bother you can't fix stupid Kaylore.

Dedhed
03-10-2009, 06:44 PM
He's doing exactly what I would do if I were in charge of the football team: reminding Cutler that he isn't.

Killericon
03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Apologize to Jay.

That's it.

worm
03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I tell him (like he did) that this is the way this team will be run. This is what we are about blah, blah, blah.

THEN I try and UNDERSTAND his issue from HIS perspective. If he thinks I lied and I know I didn't, then I tell him EXACTLY what went down. If I did lie...then I tell him WHY I lied.

In short. I communicate openly, honestly.

Dagmar
03-10-2009, 06:46 PM
1. Learn people skills. This means learning how to smooth things over, rather than barking commands at people.

2. Admit he's a liar.

3. Stop leaking things to try to smear people. That won't win them over. It will also make enemies for you in the future.

1. Ask Dawkins. Or Belicheck. or Bowlen.

2. Proof?

3. Proof?

theAPAOps5
03-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Apologize to Jay.

That's it.

For what, listening to a trade proposal that could make the team better. He damn well better be fired if he apologized for that. Don't lower yourself to that childs level.

SoCalBronco
03-10-2009, 06:49 PM
1. Ask Dawkins. Or Belicheck. or Bowlen.

2. Proof?

3. Proof?

So, the things that came out at the coincidental times that they came out didn't come from the team even though the team would be the only ones in a position to know (or misrepresent)? Did they come from Bob's Mom? Did she stop sweating gravy long enough to sit down on the computer and write an email to Peter King, or to CBS?

Is that your position? That these things came from people randomly out of the blue, timed perfectly? Did Bob's Mom really write these things?

Rock Chalk
03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Im so sick of Cutler's ****ing whining ass. Ive never EVER seen a grown man act like such a ****ing baby that wasn't on a message board.

Dedhed
03-10-2009, 06:51 PM
So, the things that came out at the coincidental times that they came out didn't come from the team even though the team would be the only ones in a position to know (or misrepresent)? Did they come from Bob's Mom? Did she stop sweating gravy long enough to sit down on the computer and write an email to Peter King, or to CBS?

Is that your position? That these things came from people randomly out of the blue, timed perfectly? Did Bob's Mom really write these things?

What are you talking about?

SouthStndJunkie
03-10-2009, 06:52 PM
McDaniels should be publicly displayed and carted through Denver in a cage, whilst the good people of Colorado pelt him with rotten vegetables and other refuse.

Then he shoulde b tied up outside of Invesco Field, where 66 lashes with a rattan cane will be administered to his back and buttocks.

Afterward, he will be allowed to give the masses a public apology.

I hope some of you can see this is satire.

Rock Chalk
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM

McDaniels has better people skills than you, he won Bowlen over for the best coaching job in America

2. Admit he's a liar.

Rather, tell Jay to grow the **** up and play ball or sit your ass on the bench and be fined weekly for being a big fat pussy.

Tell Jay to shut the **** up, man up and be a man so we wont have to leak **** to the press just to get you to calm the **** down and come in here and talk.

But NOO, Jay wouldnt even answer phone calls. He's still a big baby on this. **** Jay Cutler, I hope he gets traded before the OTAs start now.

SoDak Bronco
03-10-2009, 06:55 PM
IMO McD needs to use a little less aggressive tone towards Cutler and get this thing figured out. I would hope we can all admit that we are not a better team without Cutler. We aren't getting another QB up to his abilities so there does need to be some compromise from the coach. By the sounds of the CBS4 reports they didn't try to work things out they just said, here it is and screw you if you don't like it.

TheReverend
03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Well if he's going to be the coach and personnel management, like he now seems to be, he's going to have to learn different personality types of inflated egos and player's perspective. He's definitely within rights to have "explored" the Cutler trade, and wasn't required to do anything more or less than he has done, but calling him from the onset and being more transparent with Jay about everything going on will maintain respect levels from every facet of the locker room.

At this point, from "rumors" of where we're at, one person is going to need to do a little pride swallowing first for any repair to begin. Calling Jay and if necessary, just leaving a simple voicemail that says, "Listen, here's what happened points a, b, c, etc, and I'm sorry for not being more clear with you from day one." Maybe throw in some levity "Maybe we can learn this process together", etc.

Necessary? No. But it may pay dividends towards his OWN interests in doing something as simple as that.

Afterwards, I'd realize I have an entire scouting department at my disposal, and that I have reports, footage, and opinions on every professional player in the league, and that I can use those instead of my own breakdowns of Miami players.

Work my ass off to cover every detail possible as long as he's employed at Dove Valley and create a dominant football team for both sides of the ball.

Dedhed
03-10-2009, 06:59 PM
IMO McD needs to use a little less aggressive tone towards Cutler and get this thing figured out. I would hope we can all admit that we are not a better team without Cutler. We aren't getting another QB up to his abilities so there does need to be some compromise from the coach. By the sounds of the CBS4 reports they didn't try to work things out they just said, here it is and screw you if you don't like it.

But we are a better team with a Cutler that utilizes his abilities within the framework of a system, and leads his team mates by example.

In order to get that from Cutler, McDaniels needs to put Jay in his place.

elsid13
03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
This is very simple solution. This is management 101.

He either calls or meet with Jay in person. The conversion is very simple

Jay, I know you're upset and you think you were lied to. I was fielding calls that I wanted to see what was the best for the team. I was serious considering the offers because I was comfortable with Cassell running my system due to the 4 years of experience he has in it. But I also think that you are worth more then what was offered. Moving forward I need you to do the following things..... If you do that we both can be successful and return the team to rightful place. I understand that you don't like what has happen but we both need to able to pick up the phone and talk when **** bother both of us. I am sure that we will not always see eye to eye but we are going to have to work becoming comfortable with each other.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Not leaking smears on your QB and spying on other teams sending in playcalls would be a good start. But maybe that's too much to ask from a 32 year old frat boy coach.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
McDaniels has better people skills than you, he won Bowlen over for the best coaching job in America

It was the best "coaching job in America" for the sole reason that we had a franchise QB.

elsid13
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
But we are a better team with a Cutler that utilizes his abilities within the framework of a system, and leads his team mates by example.

In order to get that from Cutler, McDaniels needs to put Jay in his place.

Cutler doesn't need to put in his "place". He need to buy in the vision that McKid is creating, because X and O are just plans. McKid needs Cutler to be successful if wants to be.

Br0nc0Buster
03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Apparently he needs to admit that Jay Cutler knows more than him and from now or anytime he calls a play he must run it by Jay first. Both offense and defense.

He must also admit he is the spawn of Satan who has been sent to destroy the Broncos franchise and that every word he has ever spoken has been a lie since joining the Broncos

And finally he must draft Beanie Wells in the first round.

Perhaps that will satisfy them

TDmvp
03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Many of you people who think Cutler is totally justified in being upset don't like what was reportedly said at this last meeting.

And before you all say it, you can't resign, quit, kill yourself, or do anything that makes you no longer the head coach of the Broncos.

So again, what is the right thing for McDaniels to do or say to remain the head coach.

http://kclick.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/bridge-jumper.jpghttp://i.current.com/images/epg/edge/BridgeSwingingUK/1_400x300.jpg

elsid13
03-10-2009, 07:06 PM

No McKid has nice presentation skills and maybe a slick PowerPoint. That different then management skills.

Merlin
03-10-2009, 07:06 PM
but calling him from the onset and being more transparent with Jay about everything going on will maintain respect levels from every facet of the locker room.
Any person with a simple understanding of management would have known that was the very FIRST action he should have taken the second the phone hang up.

After the s)*T hit the fan, he should have just stated that Cutler is not on the trading block, but only the X-man was out stating that.

At this point he should kept all communications private and they should have put their cards on the table. Instead the information gets leaked and once again it seems to serve MacD's need for after-the-fact rationalization. MacD, like Cutler needs to understand this is NOT about him, it is about the team, so he should check his gigantic ego (which at moment remains unwarranted) and just be professional in his communication and his TREATMENT of communication.

The Joker
03-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Get down on my knees in front of Jay Cutler and suck that thing until everythings better.

Jay'd probably b**** and moan about that though.

"Why do you close your eyes?

Are you pretending its someone else?"

slyinky
03-10-2009, 07:11 PM
If I was McDaniels? I would tell Jay that my number one priority is to win games for my owner. That includes listening to offers on the chance that the team can be improved. No one player is immune to this. This team has too many holes to fill and to not at least entertain offers is not in the best interest of the organization. You're our QB and this organization believes in you. It was going to take one helluva deal for you to be traded. I can understand that you might feel upset but no player is above the Denver Broncos and what we are trying to achieve here. And that is to win Super Bowls. Lets put this behind us and focus on that goal.

baja
03-10-2009, 07:13 PM

Exactly what he did.

Unless of course he wants to lose this team before the first practice.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Exactly what he did.

Unless of course he wants to lose this team before the first practice.

You would leak **** on your players to the media?

Atleast when Jay spoke to the media, he was man enough to do it himself and not leak it anonymously. How can anyone respect that? I guarentee you this team won't.

Taco John
03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
"Hi Jay? You're cutting out a little... You there?

This is Josh.

McDaniels.

Josh McDaniels. Your new head coach.

McDaniels. Yeah.

Hey listen, I wanted to get you on the phone so that you heard about it from me before you heard it anywhere else. I think that it's important that you know that we've been receiving several trade offers for you from a few different teams around the league. Now, I'm going to be honest with you, because this could sound a little sticky. I'm going to be honest Jay, because a few of these offers gave me some pause -- they involved my good friend Matt Cassell, and I had such a great run with him recently - heck, I practically owe him my job with the Broncos - that I couldn't help but entertain the thought. But I want to be straight with you Jay - we've turned everything down. Despite my lapse of nostalgia, you are our guy now and for the forseeable future. So if you hear any of this in the media, I just want you to know that we are not shopping you around, and aren't even condsidering trading you. I think that you and I are going to do some special things in this league together, and I want you to rest easy knowing that you're on solid ground here in Denver.

Well, I'm going to let you get back to making toys, or whatever it is you do there in Santa Claus, Indiana. We'll see you soon."

Meck77
03-10-2009, 07:24 PM

This is Josh.

McDaniels.

McDaniels. Yeah.

Hey listen, I wanted to get you on the phone so that you heard about it from me before you heard it anywhere else. I think that it's important that you know that we've been receiving several trade offers for you from a few different teams around the league. Now, I'm going to be honest with you, because this could sound a little sticky. I'm going to be honest Jay, because a few of these offers gave me some pause -- they involved my good friend Matt Cassell, and I had such a great run with him recently - heck, I practically owe him my job with the Broncos - that I couldn't help but entertain the thought. But I want to be straight with you Jay - we've turned everything down. Despite my lapse of nostalgia, you are our guy now and for the forseeable future. So if you hear any of this in the media, I just want you to know that we are not shopping you around, and aren't even condsidering trading you. I think that you and I are going to do some special things in this league together, and I want you to rest easy knowing that you're on solid ground here in Denver.

Well, I'm going to let you get back to making toys, or whatever it is you do there in Santa Claus, Indiana. We'll see you soon."

That is obviously a very diplomatic approach and probably one that Shanny would have used for his boy Jay.

A little bit of chaos and competition instilled back into Cutler isn't a bad thing. He'll either rise up and prove his worth over the next two years or continue to lower his stock as an NFL player. The choice is really Jay's at this point. McD has a contract that he's going to fulfill. We'll see if Jay has the same intentions.

The more I think about it the more Gradishar was right. Shanny really babied these boys and our record reflected it.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
McD has a contract that he's going to fulfill.

when did this contract make him GM?

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
you know how any winner would respond to this....

by going out there and having one hell of a season, winning games and doing it with Jake Plummeresque "moxie"

haha...im having trouble even contributing to these threads seriously now.....Jay needs to get here next week and get to work

Killericon
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
For what, listening to a trade proposal that could make the team better. He damn well better be fired if he apologized for that. Don't lower yourself to that childs level.

The think for taking a stand against whiners everywhere is not now. Give the baby his bottle, make your QB happy.

Dedhed
03-10-2009, 07:29 PM
He need to buy in the vision that McKid is creating, because X and O are just plans. McKid needs Cutler to be successful if wants to be.In order to do that he needs to understand that he is A part of that vision, not above it.

Popps
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
He's doing exactly what I would do if I were in charge of the football team: reminding Cutler that he isn't.

Exactly, and Jay doesn't like it one bit.

More proof that our new leader is leading correctly.

lex
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM

The dye is cast. I probably wont like him as long as he is in Denver. Whatever it is he needs to do is for him to figure out.

lex
03-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Exactly, and Jay doesn't like it one bit.

More proof that our new leader is leading correctly.

Yeah, and we all know this approach worked so well for Tom Coughlin.

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 07:34 PM
The dye is cast. I probably wont like him as long as he is in Denver. Whatever it is he needs to do is for him to figure out.

so we go from everybody hating on our coach who got us two Super Bowls and barely ever had losing seasons

to getting a new coach that everyone wants to get rid of before he even coaches a game...

and I thought Jets fans were bad

Dedhed
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM

Are you seriously this daft?

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Are you seriously this daft?

Not to defend lex of all people, but he's completely right.

Br0nc0Buster

Coach of the 2008 Superbowl champs?
That Tom Coughlin?

vancejohnson82
hahahahahahha

Coughlin won a Super Bowl and had his team at the #1 seed this year....

so ridiculous

SouthStndJunkie
03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Probably the wrong time to pull the Tom Coughlin card.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
hahahahahahha

Coughlin won a Super Bowl and had his team at the #1 seed this year....

so ridiculous

Coughlin was nearly fired before he changed his ways and apologized for his dictator like behavior. After he made the change, his team was enormously successful. People who follow the sport should know this basic fact.

Dedhed
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Not to defend lex of all people, but he's completely right.

So, winning the SB isn't what you're asking of your coach, as long as your QB gets what he wants?

Are people actually this stupid?

Dedhed
03-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Coughlin was nearly fired before he changed his ways and apologized for his dictator like behavior. After he made the change, his team was enormously successful. People who follow the sport should know this basic fact.

After he weeded out the quitters, whiners, and phonies he had a much better team.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
After he weeded out the quitters, whiners, and phonies he had a much better team.

Coughlin has said himself that he changed his ways and was wrong. Along with his players saying as much.

But what would he know? He's just a SB winning coach.

How could this forum not know this?

Br0nc0Buster
03-10-2009, 07:45 PM

exactly, Barber b****ed and retired.
Guess what, they won without him

Memo to Jay, you are not bigger than the Broncos

~Crash~
03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I tell him (like he did) that this is the way this team will be run. This is what we are about blah, blah, blah.

THEN I try and UNDERSTAND his issue from HIS perspective. If he thinks I lied and I know I didn't, then I tell him EXACTLY what went down. If I did lie...then I tell him WHY I lied.

In short. I communicate openly, honestly.

LOL I note they skip you :~ohyah!: :~ohyah!: :~ohyah!: !

there is a reason ! the mcd ball washers don't want a good answer ...

Any ways harp on ball washers .

Dedhed
03-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Coughlin has said himself that he changed his ways and was wrong. Along with his players saying as much.

But what would he know? He's just a SB winning coach.

How could this forum not know this?

Because you're making it up.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Because you're making it up.

Christ almighty.

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2008/02/tom_coughlin_management_style.html

Tom Coughlin: Management style analysis
by Joseph R. Perone/The Star-Ledger
Tuesday February 05, 2008, 6:21 AM
He was an autocratic tyrant with an explosive temper who was fired from his last job and came close to being canned from his current one.

But Tom Coughlin had an epiphany: The taskmaster coach, who once fined two of his players for being late for a meeting even though they had been in a car accident, loosened his management style this season and opened lines of communication with players.

It's hard to argue with the results.

His underdog Giants stunned the football world Sunday, beating the then-undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl. But the turnaround also provides a road map for any business executive to help make disgruntled employees into better performers, management experts said yesterday.

"He had a reputation as a strict guy who laid down the law," said Mark Clark, associate professor of business management at American University's Kogod School of Business in Washington, D.C. "Then, he softened that approach because he realized you're not just managing numbers, you're managing people."

After a disappointing season a year ago, Coughlin seemed on the verge of being fired -- as much for discontent in the locker room as the team's performance on the field. Giants co-owner John Mara ultimately gave him a one-year contract extension, but warned him to loosen up, especially when it came to dealing with the media and his players.

"Look, I'm not an easy guy to get along with," Coughlin told The Star-Ledger last summer. "When something isn't right, I can't disguise my demeanor."

This season, though, he wasn't as openly critical, and he put in place a players' committee to become a buffer between him and the rest of the team.

Coughlin had confidence in "the people he surrounded himself with, and believed in his formula, regardless of what was written about him," said Matt Eventoff, president of PPS Associates/Princeton Public Speaking, an executive communications strategist. "He had a plan and stuck to it, and didn't waiver in the face of controversy."

Lynda McDermott, an organizational psychologist for EquiPro International, a New York management consulting firm, said it was an example of an old-school executive who was able to transform himself through "situational leadership."

"He adjusted his style to the situation -- to the roster of young players -- not unlike Gen Yers in the corporate world who want more empowerment and less 'command and control,'" she said.

Inspiring leaders actively solicit input and incorporate what they hear into making decisions, according to Carmine Gallo, a California-based communications coach and author of the leadership book, "Fire Them Up."

"Coughlin did something that is absolutely critical to get buy-in from young people -- he empowered them and made them feel as though they were part of the building process," he said. "While Baby Boomers are okay with less communication between themselves and their supervisors, people in their 20s and 30s desire a much more frequent amount of communication."

During the season, Coughlin sat down to talk to his players with no clipboard and no agenda, just to find out what they were thinking. The once-stern taskmaster went bowling with them to establish rapport, and he set up a council of veterans to make it easier to communicate with the entire team.

"The first simple and obvious lesson is that good-to-great managers are always part cheerleader," said Mark Amtower, founding partner of Amtower & Co., a Highland, Md., consulting firm. "Make sure your line managers are positive and energetic, and make sure you are that way toward all of those reporting to you."

Managers always have to be flexible in how they approach workers to make them more productive, said Wally Adamchik, a Raleigh, N.C., leadership consultant.

"Managers get feedback about how to improve all the time, but many choose not to listen to it," he said. "They make the same mistakes again and again."

His development of the leadership council was a smart move, because it allowed the players' concerns to be heard, said Erika Andersen, a Kingston, N.Y., author of "Growing Great Employees: Turning Ordinary People into Extraordinary Performers."

"Top managers have to make sure the folks who report directly to them are clear on what is expected," she said.

She rejects the argument that leaders should distance themselves from employees so they can be tough disciplinarians. "You don't have to be good friends with employees, but you have to be friendly," she said.

There were other lessons to be learned from how Coughlin approached the Super Bowl, said Timothy Clark, president of T.R. Clark Associates, a Salt Lake City consulting firm, and a former All America defensive end for Brigham Young University.

Coughlin assessed his team's strengths and exposed the vulnerability of his chief competitor, the Patriots, he said. By using the Giants' pass rush to pressure New England quarterback Tom Brady, Coughlin beat a competitor that had one killer product, but nothing else, Clark said.

"When you go toe-to-toe with a competitor, you have to understand their business model better than they do," he said. "If they have a single-dimension strategy, as the Patriots did, you can shut them down."

Furthermore, Coughlin and the Giants also did not repeat the errors that beat them in previous playoff games, said Rachel Weingarten, author of "Career and Corporate Cool."

"The Giants were a marvel in learning from past mistakes, particularly Manning and Coughlin, and not allowing popular opinion or predictions to sway their determination to win," she said.

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Coughlin didnt change his ways in the first three years....he had it his way and a BUNCH of players didnt like it

where did you read he "changed his ways'

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Coughlin didnt change his ways in the first three years....he had it his way and a BUNCH of players didnt like it

Apparently I ''made it up''. Or see the article above. Or google for thousands of more articles on the subject.

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2009, 07:56 PM

This is Josh.

McDaniels.

McDaniels. Yeah.

Taco John wins.

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Coach of the 2008 Superbowl champs?
That Tom Coughlin?

Actually he was losing his team and he lightened up, the team turned around when he did that.

Edit: added quote

Posted before I read this. You're right on the money.

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Apparently I ''made it up''. Or see the article above. Or google for thousands of more articles on the subject.

see ...you are completely wrong...

in his first few years he laid down the law...like McD is doing...players who didnt like it left and THEN he lightened up...when guys were showing up on time on their own accord

but keep googling crap

TheReverend
03-10-2009, 08:03 PM

This is 100% true. When he found out how hot his seat was, he actually felt like he was working on borrowed time and realized the important part of the job for him personally was in forging the relationships. 2007 was a 180, and it worked extremely well.

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2009, 08:03 PM

in his first few years he laid down the law...like McD is doing...players who didnt like it left and THEN he lightened up...when guys were showing up on time on their own accord

but keep googling crap

When he laid down the law like a tyrant the team was sucking balls...

Are you saying you need to make the entire team hate you and suck ass until you turn around and show respect to your players?

They were only 2 games over .500 in his first 3 seasons... boom they win the Super Bowl after he changes and have a great season the following year.

TheReverend
03-10-2009, 08:05 PM

but keep googling crap

No... you can actually see it in his own words if you watch their "America's Game" special. Which, btw, is hilarious thanks to Strahan and Eli.

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 08:05 PM
When he laid down the law like a tyrant the team was sucking balls...

Are you saying you need to make the entire team hate you and suck ass until you turn around and show respect to your players?

They were only 2 games over .500 in his first 3 seasons... boom they win the Super Bowl after he changes and have a great season the following year.

because he weeded out the pussies who werent showing up for meetings, dogging it in the trainers room and being media darlings

it wasnt just an overnight, "oh man, im a lover now."

oubronco
03-10-2009, 08:06 PM
well I own my own construction company and have to deal with disgruntled employees sometimes and being a D*ckhead to them is not the best approach if I were him I'd be trying to work this out instead of saying "your not untradeable" I just think thats nonproductive unless he thinks he can win with one of the scrubs in FA then he's just plain stupid

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm not denying that he changed....

but he was given a few years to implement his ways...and then he met them halfway...its like disciplining kids...you play bad cop right off the bat and then you meet them halfway, and they appreciate it and it forges a relationship

TheReverend
03-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm not denying that he changed....

but he was given a few years to implement his ways...and then he met them halfway...its like disciplining kids...you play bad cop right off the bat and then you meet them halfway, and they appreciate it and it forges a relationship

No. That is what happened, but that's not WHY that happened. Watch the special. He says in his own words, he changed because he was about to be fired, began valuing the relationship with his players, and they responded. You can also hear the same statement of the end result from Stra and Eli.

This is so off topic anyways, but I don't see why people are arguing with Tom Coughlin about why he changed...

frerottenextelway

but keep googling crap

Dude, he was nearly fired.

He did the same as Belichick in Cleveland and Mangini in New York. All 3 guys are from the same tree, and all 3 made the same mistake.

Coughlin didn't have some master plan going in to change his ways after a few years ---- but he was smart enough to know he was wrong.

summerdenver
I did not like the way FO handled this affair from the beginning but thats water under the bridge now. There is more than one way to win games in NFL and with a good team you can win with a decent mistake free type QB.

At this point Broncos cannot side with Cutler as that will weaken the position of McD or whoever is the new coach. If I am Bowlen, I will give all the support to my coach but will also set the goal that the team should be competitive by the 3rd year. If I am McD, this is what I would do -

i. I would go with my gut and try get Cassel by trading Jay to KC. They don't have a long term deal with Cassel and may be willing to accept a swap. I would even throw in scheff or picks to get the guy I want and build the team around him.

ii. If option i does not work, then I will call up Pats and try to see if can get Kevin O'Connel. (He is a patriot, so he must be good ......)

iii. Trade cutler where i will get the best compensation but if the compensation is equal then i would trade him to the place he is not likely to be successful as the more successful he is the more unnecessary pressure there will be on Broncos.

iv. If I can't get my patriot QB, I would draft my QB of future (QB of Rutgers - I am drawing a blank for his name seems like patriot type of QB) in the draft and develop him to take over the team in 2011.

v. Build team in the mean time and try to win as many games as I can with Chris sims or Leftwitch or my be even Tyler Thigpen

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
No... you can actually see it in his own words if you watch their "America's Game" special. Which, btw, is hilarious thanks to Strahan and Eli.

THANK YOU.

Holy crap this was frustrating!

lex
03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
so we go from everybody hating on our coach who got us two Super Bowls and barely ever had losing seasons

to getting a new coach that everyone wants to get rid of before he even coaches a game...

and I thought Jets fans were bad

OK, sure.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
This is 100% true. When he found out how hot his seat was, he actually felt like he was working on borrowed time and realized the important part of the job for him personally was in forging the relationships. 2007 was a 180, and it worked extremely well.

:thumbsup:

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 08:16 PM
you guys have selective memories....

he was sitting at 10-4 in 2005 if I remember correctly...and he still hadnt changed....

it was a few years of moving towards the middle....but we wont give our guy that chance...we want him out now, right???

don't compare him to Coughlin because its a bad analogy for you...it kills your argument

Kaylore
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Any person with a simple understanding of management would have known that was the very FIRST action he should have taken the second the phone hang up.

After the s)*T hit the fan, he should have just stated that Cutler is not on the trading block, but only the X-man was out stating that.
That's because Xanders is the GM, not McDaniels.

Jeez the things you guys are having a problem with are completely logical.

lex
03-10-2009, 08:21 PM

he was sitting at 10-4 in 2005 if I remember correctly...and he still hadnt changed....

it was a few years of moving towards the middle....but we wont give our guy that chance...we want him out now, right???

don't compare him to Coughlin because its a bad analogy for you...it kills your argument

No, you should really read the article.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 08:23 PM

First of all, it was his second team (like Belichick and Mangini). Secondly, you're complaining about the argument because you know it's a damn good one. Thirdly, it wasn't a subtle switch over years.

Broncoman13
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM

At this point I think he is doing the right things. He cannot acquiesce to any player at this point. For him to backdown at this stage would only encourage similar behavior from other high paid "stars" on the team in the future. At this point he just has to keep this course and deal with the fallout... which could be HUGE!

This much I know for certain. If Jay were to get "fired" from his current job tonight, he could have a job before the sun rises in the morning. Same thing with Marshall and several of the players on offense that seem to favor Jay.

The important thing to note at this point, keep it out of the media. Making Jay Cutler look bad at this point WILL NOT increase his trade value. Jay Cutler leaving the Denver Broncos is a foregone conclusion. Doesn't bother me that a D-head like Cutler won't be around for the long haul, but it does bother me that it will affect my favorite team for a long time.

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
First of all, it was his second team (like Belichick and Mangini). Secondly, you're complaining about the argument because you know it's a damn good one. Thirdly, it wasn't a subtle switch over years.

it was a subtle change, over a long period of time...he established control and then when he had his guys he changed

we are just going to have to disagree but it took coughlin 4 years to get that ring...that would mean 4 years of people bitching on this site which would really suck

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2009, 08:30 PM

He should kiss Cutler's ass until he's regained his trust. Not on a football field and not at practices or anything football related. He has to be the head coach, but personally he needs to kiss his ass.

frerottenextelway
03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
it was a subtle change, over a long period of time...he established control and then when he had his guys he changed

we are just going to have to disagree but it took coughlin 4 years to get that ring...that would mean 4 years of people b****ing on this site which would really suck

It took four years on his second team as Head Coach. Coughlin is one of very few people who have the balls to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong - very admirable. Of course, he would've gotten fired if he didn't, but still...

Anyways, you act like it was his plan going in to soften up. That's ridiculous. As is the statement that it was a subtle change over years. You are just factually wrong, that's all there is to it.

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2009, 08:39 PM
McDaniels just needs to admit what really happened and let Jay know, trade talks happened, but you are still in Denver and we have no intention of letting you go anywhere. and then get a press conference with the owner and Jay to let the fans know the situation is over.

vancejohnson82
It took four years on his second team as Head Coach. Coughlin is one of very few people who have the balls to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong - very admirable. Of course, he would've gotten fired if he didn't, but still...

Anyways, you act like it was his plan going in to soften up. That's ridiculous. As is the statement that it was a subtle change over years. You are just factually wrong, that's all there is to it.

like i said, we are too far away to agree on this....

but I listen to New York sports radio and Coughlin interviews EVERY week....so you are reading washington post articles from the past and I've been forcefed this whole saga as it happened

so we will just stop going back and forth....we just won't be able to see eye to eye on this...no worries

lex

we are just going to have to disagree but it took coughlin 4 years to get that ring...that would mean 4 years of people b****ing on this site which would really suck

Stop making stuff up. You were wrong and everyone knows it, including yourself. So stop with the revisionist nonsense.

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Stop making stuff up. You were wrong and everyone knows it, including yourself. So stop with the revisionist nonsense.

so he wasn't the coach there for four years????

whats revisionist??? I'm starting to see why your name floats around in jest so much on this board

baja
03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
He should kiss Cutler's ass until he's regained his trust. Not on a football field and not at practices or anything football related. He has to be the head coach, but personally he needs to kiss his ass.

That says alot about you Garcia

lex
03-10-2009, 08:48 PM

whats revisionist??? I'm starting to see why your name floats around in jest so much on this board

There are a lot of leg-humping retards who frequent this board. Thats not saying much.

OOJack
03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Im so sick of Cutler's ****ing whining ass. Ive never EVER seen a grown man act like such a ****ing baby that wasn't on a message board.

At least you recognize the tone of your posts...

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
There are a lot of leg-humping retards who frequent this board. Thats not saying much.

the only thing that could be worse for this franchise then this whole debacle, would be your Mock Draft coming true...

hambone13
03-10-2009, 10:41 PM

You are just flat out wrong. Admit it and let it go. Otherwise, you need to change yourname to JoshCutler82 because you can't accept the possibility that you may be wrong.....

Kaylore
03-10-2009, 11:33 PM

Exactly. Tiki didn't want to play for Tom and let everyone know bitching and moaning on his way out. Everyone said "there goes the franchise. The Giants will suck next year for sure." Even I said it. Then they take down the Patriots in one of the biggest upsets in history because they played as a team and didn't have any whiny manginas on the team.

manchambo
03-10-2009, 11:34 PM
The first thing I would do is remind myself that it took ten years for the team to find Jay Cutler, and about ten minutes to find me. Then I'd remind myself that they could replace me in about ten minutes.

Then I would try to remember that QB is the most important position on the team, and that good ones don't grow on trees.

After I did all that, I would try to act accordingly by extending myself at least a little bit to try to bring Cutler back into the fold.

What I wouldn't do is try to show him what a hard ass I can be.

scttgrd
03-10-2009, 11:43 PM
The first thing I would do is remind myself that it took ten years for the team to find Jay Cutler, and about ten minutes to find me. Then I'd remind myself that they could replace me in about ten minutes.

Then I would try to remember that QB is the most important position on the team, and that good ones don't grow on trees.

After I did all that, I would try to act accordingly by extending myself at least a little bit to try to bring Cutler back into the fold.

What I wouldn't do is try to show him what a hard ass I can be.

Oh no, McDaniels can reach into his magical hoodie and pull another QB on demand. Who are you to question the McDaniels!?

spdirty
03-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Exactly. Tiki didn't want to play for Tom and let everyone know b****ing and moaning on his way out. Everyone said "there goes the franchise. The Giants will suck next year for sure." Even I said it. Then they take down the Patriots in one of the biggest upsets in history because they played as a team and didn't have any whiny manginas on the team.

And a great running back is just as easy to find as a great quarterback.

Blueflame
03-11-2009, 03:24 AM
McD should do whatever it takes to fix the repercussions of his f-up.

GreatBronco16
03-11-2009, 03:46 AM

Even if that includes using wipes, baby powder and a new diaper on Jay? Well I'm all for that.Ha!

Blueflame
03-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Even if that includes using wipes, baby powder and a new diaper on Jay? Well I'm all for that.Ha!

Perhaps he might just want to change his own diaper while he's at it... he ain't that much older than Jay, y'know. And he seems to be the one that's full of sh*t....

GreatBronco16
03-11-2009, 03:56 AM
Yep, It's all Mc Daddy's D's Fault.

Leave Jay Culter Alone!!!! Leave him ALONE!!!!!

Blueflame
03-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Yep, It's all Mc Daddy's D's Fault.

Leave Jay Culter Alone!!!! Leave him ALONE!!!!!

"McDaddy D"? I've heard some funny stuff before, but I think that one takes the cake.

TheReverend
03-11-2009, 05:32 AM

Listen, I completely agree with you that it's a stretch to equate the Coughlin situation with this one considering so many different variables and moving parts that are unique to each situation. I agree with that part.

But what you're saying IS factually incorrect, and I must once again encourage you to watch the America's game special on the 2007 Giants so you can hear it in his own words.

TheReverend
03-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Well if he's going to be the coach and personnel management, like he now seems to be, he's going to have to learn different personality types of inflated egos and player's perspective. He's definitely within rights to have "explored" the Cutler trade, and wasn't required to do anything more or less than he has done, but calling him from the onset and being more transparent with Jay about everything going on will maintain respect levels from every facet of the locker room.

At this point, from "rumors" of where we're at, one person is going to need to do a little pride swallowing first for any repair to begin. Calling Jay and if necessary, just leaving a simple voicemail that says, "Listen, here's what happened points a, b, c, etc, and I'm sorry for not being more clear with you from day one." Maybe throw in some levity "Maybe we can learn this process together", etc.

Necessary? No. But it may pay dividends towards his OWN interests in doing something as simple as that.

Afterwards, I'd realize I have an entire scouting department at my disposal, and that I have reports, footage, and opinions on every professional player in the league, and that I can use those instead of my own breakdowns of Miami players.

Work my ass off to cover every detail possible as long as he's employed at Dove Valley and create a dominant football team for both sides of the ball.

Oskie reminded me of another significant move in another thread, so I'd like to amend this post with one more point:

"Not hire someone out of the NFL for several years from ESPN to be the head of your scouting department because you used to work with them at the Patriots"

rugbythug
03-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Funny How McD is a Giant A-hole with no leadership skills. However he Brings in Dawkins who raves about how McD sold his vision to him. And then shortly after Marshall has his arrest has a sit down conversation with him.

The Real Problem is that McD does have leadership skills. He does have a vision of what he wants this team to be. Jay is like a little kid who is going from Grandma's House to Mom's House. Now he has to toe the line and do chores. First he pitches a fit, then he sulks, But finally he does as he is supposed to and achieves more than he would have.

DrFate
03-11-2009, 07:57 AM

At this point I think it is too late. Bowlen has been convinced by these two snake oil salesmen that 'the system' is more important than 'the players'. If 'the system' was the magic pill, every team would be in the playoffs every year. (not sure how that works mathematically, but you get the point).

Coach Sparky simply need to tell Cutler 'people called, we listened to the offers, and we said no. We feel you are a top QB and we want to move ahead with you.'

Rohirrim
03-11-2009, 08:19 AM
At this point, the Broncos cannot let Jay win this argument. Period. The fallout of Jay winning this power struggle would blow up the lockerroom for years to come. If Jay wins this one, McD might as well pack up and go the next day. He would never be able to control the team.

Garcia Bronco
03-11-2009, 08:22 AM
That says alot about you Garcia

What do you mean?

Garcia Bronco
03-11-2009, 08:22 AM
At this point, the Broncos cannot let Jay win this argument. Period. The fallout of Jay winning this power struggle would blow up the lockerroom for years to come. If Jay wins this one, McD might as well pack up and go the next day. He would never be able to control the team.

No it wouldn't.

oubronco
03-11-2009, 08:30 AM
McDipshyt needs to get his head outta his a$$ and work this out instead of coming off as some 20yr harda$$ head coach this is his first gig and he's pissing alot of people off and for the system breeding alot of head coaches and being all that so far the ones who got head coaching gigs haven't done jack shyt

Hulamau
03-11-2009, 08:38 AM

2. Admit he's a liar.

You mean these apply to Tricky Dick right, or do you mean McDaniels??? :twokisses

jutang
03-11-2009, 08:59 AM

Unfortunately the power struggle has already seems to have started. All McDaniels had to do was give a vote of confidence in Cutler, excite him how this draft is going turn the Broncos defense around so Cutler won't be forced into making so many risky throws on the field.

McDaniels made the first move, causing the power struggle and he'll need to be the one to mend the fences. If the Broncos tank this year, it'll be McDaniel's job not Cutlers. Frankly, I don't understand why McDaniels is playing it this way b/c alienating a very talented QB is just a stupid way of starting out.

Hulamau
03-11-2009, 09:04 AM

How do you know McD used an aggressive tone SoDak? It cant be just because Jay is starting to act like a kid with a bonefide personality disorder the past weeks?

McD, Bowlen, Xanders and Ellis which ARE the front office now, like it or not, apparently are speaking with one voice here and I have little doubt they welcomed Jay to come back and said they expect him to honor his contract as well as attend the workouts as a team leader on Monday... but I also have no doubt that when Jay was likely pressing for some type of commitment that he wouldn't be traded they also made it clear in no uncertain terms that NO ONE is above that if it would make the whole team better in the long run, as a matter of principle.

None of the proposed or speculated deals so far has proven good enough, so Cutler REMAINS the QB! What more does Cutler want?!?

This whole "McD is lying BS" and "leaking things" is just backpedaling fantasy crap a few are spewing out to cover their own venomous outburst at McD whom they have hated before learning how to even spell his name!

I've supported Jay unequivocally until now, and still will if he learns his lesson soon and gets his butt in here on Monday, but if he ****s this up and hurts this team this year and perhaps the next, JUST because McD and company would not cow-tow and walk on eggshells around his petulant narcissistic reactions lately, then SHAME on Cutler and good riddance !

TJesus, as few of you guys (not you so much Chris) seem to be suggesting McD has to coddle Cutler and handle him with kid gloves even more than inviting him to please come talk with us in person (which Cutler didn't do, instead over the relatively detached safety by phone where its easier to misread a person's intent)!?!

For all you know, they were perfectly cordial to Cutler in that meeting. But if giving him carte blanc guarantees that he is 'QB for life' here is the price some of you think McD has to pay to Cutler so that he feels 'comfortable' enough to MAN the **** UP and get in here for the good of all his teammate buddies and the rest of his die-hard fans ... and honor his contract for which he has already been paid a large part of it UP front based on a 6 year deal .... then Screw him and the horse he rode in on!

It may well be that Cutler is looking for a way out and these meetings are just a guise to save a little face while doing so? We don't know but Jay sure isn't sounding like a guy who wants to reconcile.

KCStud
03-11-2009, 09:10 AM
McDaniels has better people skills than you, he won Bowlen over for the best coaching job in America.

Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious!

This just keeps getting better and better

RMANCIL
03-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately the power struggle has already seems to have started. All McDaniels had to do was give a vote of confidence in Cutler, excite him how this draft is going turn the Broncos defense around so Cutler won't be forced into making so many risky throws on the field.

McDaniels made the first move, causing the power struggle and he'll need to be the one to mend the fences. If the Broncos tank this year, it'll be McDaniel's job not Cutlers. Frankly, I don't understand why McDaniels is playing it this way b/c alienating a very talented QB is just a stupid way of starting out.

What if your head coach said he was really , really sorry and promised to call Jay on all future personnel decisions and clear them with Jay???

Cutler does have a super strong arm and according to Jay he is better than Elway. Players like him have to get special treatment clearly!!!

RMANCIL
03-11-2009, 09:53 AM
At this point I think it is too late. Bowlen has been convinced by these two snake oil salesmen that 'the system' is more important than 'the players'. If 'the system' was the magic pill, every team would be in the playoffs every year. (not sure how that works mathematically, but you get the point).

Coach Sparky simply need to tell Cutler 'people called, we listened to the offers, and we said no. We feel you are a top QB and we want to move ahead with you.'

I agree perhaps send Jay a box of chocolates too.

Hulamau
03-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Agreed Rohirrim and nor should he win! Hes the freaking employee and at this point is in the wrong if he sits out and fractures this team TOTALLY unecessarily.

If he's angry at McD/Bowlen and the rest then take it out on OPPOSING DEFENSES and prove to McD, The rest of the NFL who will be judging his value and maturity, his teammates whose jobs and success he says he cares about so much, and all of the Broncos fans who have gotten behind him the past three years, that trading him would have been a huge mistake!

That is his best revenge now, if its come to that. Then, if he still wants to leave in three years he can take his pick with the highest bidder other than the Broncos, but at least he would have honored his contract and commitment to the teammates, he supposedly so dearly loves, and fans as well by not acting like a self-destructive punk!

Right now his behavior its fixing to convert a lot of us rabid Cutler supporters (up until now) into former Cutler supporters who are going to be glad to see him gone if he keeps this crap up!

gyldenlove
03-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Here is how you play it:

You call every player and inform there will be a voluntary meeting at the first day of OTAs to name captains for the offense and defense, then you name Cutler the offensive captain.

Thats shows a commitment and that the coaching staff acknowledges his leadership status among the players.

Second you stop antagonizing him. There is no reason to call him and tell him that you don't want to trade him, but if the right offers come anyone is tradable. If all you have to say to him is nothing, then don't.

The third thing you say is that if trade offers come up again, he will be informed right away.

I still believe that it was not so much the trade rumors as the fact that they would entertain the trade without telling him about it.

USMCBladerunner
03-11-2009, 11:58 AM

I figured you for the "bring in Mike Vick" solution. But, licking the taint of some other player will have to suffice I suppose. At least Cutler can play QB worth a ****.

USMCBladerunner
03-11-2009, 12:11 PM

What...the...F?...even if he was shopping Cutler, he's not necessarily wrong...he's certainly not wrong for listening to offers, if that's what happened...this is what coaches and GMs do...they consider options, assess player value...

If we stick to facts, McDaniels and Xanders considered trading Cutler (regardless of the nature of the discussions), didn't trade Cutler, told the media and Jay Culter that they have no specific interest in trading him but that no one is untradable (this is a matter of course for any GM in any sport, so shouldn't be a surprise to anyone).

And because of that, Jay might not come to voluntary workout period? I'm sorry, but Cutler's delicate sensitivities are not McDaniel's F-up. Better to nip his petulance in the bud, than let it set as the example for the rest of the team.

jutang
03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
What if your head coach said he was really , really sorry and promised to call Jay on all future personnel decisions and clear them with Jay???

Cutler does have a super strong arm and according to Jay he is better than Elway. Players like him have to get special treatment clearly!!!

There's a big difference in kissing an employee's ass unnecessarily and treating an employee with an amount of respect. McDaniels and Cutler met for a few weeks after McD was hired to go over changes in the offense and the plan for the future. If McDaniels really was thinking anyone is tradeable, you need to be upfront with the player especially if he's the QB and is expected to run the offense and touch the ball on every snap!

Imagine spending 2-3 weeks working with your new boss with no hint that he may have different plans in store. A week later you find out from third hand news that you might be transferred out. I'd be pissed off personally if this happened to me and would give me reason to tell my boss to piss off.

Cutler's reaction is perfectly normal. The main problem is he's airing it so publicly and will force the locker room to take sides.