PDA

View Full Version : Matt Jones jailed on contempt charge...

Sassy
03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090310/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_jaguars_jones_2

OK guys...suspension or not? He broke probation rules...

Jaguars' Matt Jones jailed on contempt charge
Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print Tue Mar 10, 1:39 am ETFAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Matt Jones was jailed Monday after violating terms of his plea deal in a drug possession case by testing positive for alcohol.

The former Arkansas Razorbacks quarterback was booked into the Washington County Detention Center on Monday night on a contempt of court charge after a random drug test in February showed he violated a rule against using drugs or alcohol.

Jones was charged with one count of cocaine possession in July, when a Fayetteville police officer saw him inside a parked car allegedly cutting up cocaine. He was later suspended for the last three games of the 2008 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

In October, Jones reached a plea deal on the charge and was accepted into a program requiring him to participate in NFL-sponsored substance-abuse counseling and random drug testing through the end of the football season, then return to Fayetteville to complete the program.

Jones' agent, Dave Butz, said the drug court's judge pointed out that Jones has been very respectful and compliant during his time in the program.

"The only issue was Matt admitting to the court that he drank a couple of beers while playing golf last week with his friends," Butz said.

Lisa Dennis, a deputy prosecuting attorney for the drug court, told The Florida Times-Union newspaper in Jacksonville that Jones had complied with the program and was frank with the judge about the alcohol violation.

"But the judge wanted to emphasize that even having a beer is against the rules," Dennis told the newspaper. "It's not a terrible infraction, but he broke a rule."

A first-round draft pick in 2005, Jones was having the best year of his career before he was suspended, with 65 catches for 761 yards and two touchdowns.

tsiguy96
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
brandon marshall will get a longer suspension: make sense of that

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
honestly, i kinda feel bad for him on this one

a couple of beers when golfing?? and now hes in jail??

Kaylore
03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
brandon marshall will get a longer suspension: make sense of that

If this was Matt Jones' fourth run in with the law, he would get much longer.

Los Broncos
03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Pass the blunt.

supermanhr9
03-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Same thing happened to my cousin, he got 13 days in jail for breaking probation. I feel no pain for B-Marsh. He will get a logn suspension and deserve every minute of it. It will suck not having our big receiver, but he deserves to be punished.

As for Matt, I'll have the same response I had for my cousin,, you dumb ass.

TheDave
03-10-2009, 02:38 PM
and to think there was a time on here people argued over who would be a better NFL WR... Matt Jones or Mike Williams

Double Fail...

no-pseudo-fan
03-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Same thing happened to my cousin, he got 13 days in jail for breaking probation. I feel no pain for B-Marsh. He will get a logn suspension and deserve every minute of it. It will suck not having our big receiver, but he deserves to be punished.

As for Matt, I'll have the same response I had for my cousin,, you dumb ass.

Brandon doesn't deserve a long suspension. Charges were dropped in less than a day, maybe you are being too hard on him.

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
and to think there was a time on here people argued over who would be a better NFL WR... Matt Jones or Mike Williams

Double Fail...

hahaha

HEAV
03-10-2009, 02:48 PM
If you know the rules, then break the rules, the get caught... it's on you.

These guy's just need to keep nose's clean. They will have years to drink, smoke pot, and get arrested after their playing days.

Sassy
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM

These guy's just need to keep nose's clean. They will have years to drink, smoke pot, and get arrested after their playing days.
Exactly!
For those of you saying he just had a few beers...he still broke the rules and knew better!

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Exactly!
For those of you saying he just had a few beers...he still broke the rules and knew better!

true...im not saying he shouldnt be punished...just thinking of it from my POV around his age

but then again, i stood to lose a lot less than he does

supermanhr9
03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Brandon doesn't deserve a long suspension. Charges were dropped in less than a day, maybe you are being too hard on him.

Well You might be correct, but this is ridiculous. I'm not happy he migth get a suspension, but look at it through Roger Goodells eyes:

"I just had a player get arrested for domestic disturbance, he was cleared of charges only because his gf refused to press any,,, There are a bunch of children who knew within hours about this. They know he has been cleared of charges because his gf won't press any, they might perceive this as ok. It's ok for a guy to get arrested for a domestic disturbance with his gf as long as no charges are pressed. You can still play football and everything is fine.... Wrong, as the comish it's my job to not only govern the league, but make sure that these role models live up to their mistakes. He will be suspended just as long as if he were persecuted. I understand a lot of people will hate me for this, but in the long run, children will get the idea that not even a role model is above being grounded, even if the law can't step in themselves."

Screw Brandon Marshall, he doesn't care that much about us as fans, his team mates, or his coaches. Otherwise he would not have been arrested 4 times for the same thing.

I migth be coming down on him hard, but I would do the same thing if I was the commish. A lot of people don't like roger goodell, I personally think he's one of the best commisioners the sport has seen (disciplinary wise).

Archer81
03-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Matt Jones...The other White Meat...moo ha ha ha...

:Broncos:

supermanhr9
03-10-2009, 03:11 PM
i know that was long winded, but I had to vent

Archer81
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
i know that was long winded, but I had to vent

Dude...long winded rants belong to Socal or Lex...yours was perfect. Hit major points and long enough to give us perspective on your displeasure.

hades
03-10-2009, 03:15 PM

But, even if you say you're sorry afterwards, and you jst broke the rule a little bit???

Sassy
03-10-2009, 03:17 PM
But, even if you say you're sorry afterwards, and you jst broke the rule a little bit???

But how many times can you say your sorry and mean it after the incidents keep happening?

supermanhr9
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Dude...long winded rants belong to Socal or Lex...yours was perfect. Hit major points and long enough to give us perspective on your displeasure.

Thanks man.

Archer81
03-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Nothing says sorry like going to a judge AFTER you spend a month in Federal pound me in the ass Prison.

TheDave
03-10-2009, 03:22 PM
But how many times can you say your sorry and mean it after the incidents keep happening?

8 times... 9 if you do it right ;D

Florida_Bronco
03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Well You might be correct, but this is ridiculous. I'm not happy he migth get a suspension, but look at it through Roger Goodells eyes:

"I just had a player get arrested for domestic disturbance, he was cleared of charges only because his gf refused to press any,,, There are a bunch of children who knew within hours about this. They know he has been cleared of charges because his gf won't press any, they might perceive this as ok. It's ok for a guy to get arrested for a domestic disturbance with his gf as long as no charges are pressed. You can still play football and everything is fine.... Wrong, as the comish it's my job to not only govern the league, but make sure that these role models live up to their mistakes. He will be suspended just as long as if he were persecuted. I understand a lot of people will hate me for this, but in the long run, children will get the idea that not even a role model is above being grounded, even if the law can't step in themselves."

Screw Brandon Marshall, he doesn't care that much about us as fans, his team mates, or his coaches. Otherwise he would not have been arrested 4 times for the same thing.

I migth be coming down on him hard, but I would do the same thing if I was the commish. A lot of people don't like roger goodell, I personally think he's one of the best commisioners the sport has seen (disciplinary wise).

Your post is wrong. He was not arrested for domestic disturbance, he was arrested for disturbing the peace.

no-pseudo-fan
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
From the one report from a person that went to court, said that the charges were dropped fast and the judge said he shouldn't have been arrested. Everything else is seculation. I think Brandon is turning it around, and this does little to sway my feelings.

HEAV
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Your post is wrong. He was not arrested for domestic disturbance, he was arrested for disturbing the peace.

Disorderly conduct

Arkie
03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Matt Jones said he was 100% committed! They show this stuff on our local channel. Hilarious!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgNhacoS1Xg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgNhacoS1Xg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Flex Gunmetal
03-10-2009, 04:06 PM

The judge laughed the charge out of court. Do some research, then post.

KillerBronco#76
03-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Matt Jones is the meanest white boy in the league athletic ability wise.I would say he still has the ability to be a top 5 receiver in the league. Peyton Hillis is up there too. funny they both came from arkansas. Have to give a special mention to Welker.

Offensively speaking that is...

Arkie
03-10-2009, 04:16 PM

Double Fail...

Technically, Matt Jones was better. Troy Williamson went in that round too. Remember all the Vikings fans upset because they took Troy Williamson over Matt Williams? Ha! Like it really mattered...

slyinky
03-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Jaguars cut troubled WR Jones

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars waived receiver Matt Jones on Monday, parting ways with the former first-round draft pick just days after his latest arrest.

Jones was jailed last week in Arkansas for violating a plea agreement that stemmed from a drug charge in 2008. The 6-foot-6 Jones, a former star quarterback at Arkansas, is awaiting an April 13 court appearance.

After failing a drug and alcohol screening, Jones told a judge he drank beer while golfing with friends. He assured the judge it wouldn't happen again.

The Jaguars didn't want to take a chance.

"All roster moves are decisions we feel are in the best interest of the organization," Jaguars general manager Gene Smith said. "This decision is a result of our ongoing player and roster evaluations. We expect responsibility and accountability, and those are important qualities as we continue the process of building this team."

Although Jones was wildly popular in Arkansas, he wasn't revered nearly as much in Jacksonville. Fans thought his laid-back attitude was a sign he didn't care about football, and coach Jack Del Rio ripped him at times for his work ethic.

Many thought Jones would be released last year after he was charged with cocaine possession in July. But the 19th overall pick in 2005 had a strong preseason and stuck around despite the arrest.

He responded with the best season of his career, catching 65 passes for 761 yards and two touchdowns. His case, meanwhile, was moved to the drug court, where defendants submit to treatment and other restrictions, with the goal of keeping them from offending again. A defendant can wipe his record clean if the program is completed successfully.

In the plea agreement reached in October, Jones was ordered to participate in NFL-sponsored substance-abuse counseling and undergo random drug testing through the end of the football season. The judge told him to return to Fayetteville after the season to complete the program. Jones remains in the drug court program.

The NFL suspended Jones for the final three games last season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Jones' departure leaves Jacksonville with huge holes at the receiver position. The Jaguars released Jerry Porter last month and opted not to re-sign free agent Reggie Williams.

That basically leaves third-year pro Mike Walker and veteran Dennis Northcutt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=10536

Hogan11
03-17-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm sorry, but I cannot respect anyone who had it all and threw it away...regardless of circumstances.