PDA

View Full Version : Clark Judge on FA

TonyR
03-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Here are some excerpts:

Three teams staying after school
1. Denver. They get an "A" for an Aggressive Approach, but more is not necessarily better. Apparently, that memo didn't reach Denver. No one signed more unrestricted free agents. No one signed more marginal unrestricted free agents, either. I know marquee free agents aren't necessarily tickets to overnight success, but they sure helped Atlanta and Philadelphia last year and New Orleans in 2006. The Broncos must figure you crawl before you walk; otherwise, there is no other explanation for their spate of 30-and-older additions: Brian Dawkins. Andra Davis. LaMont Jordan. Renaldo Hill. Correll Buckhalter. Andre Goodman. Someone please tell them Marvin Harrison is available.
This strikes me as a club without a plan, shopping for value where there is little. But that's not the worst of it. The Broncos were involved in the Matt Cassel trade talks, with quarterback Jay Cutler's name kicked around. The Broncos swear they didn't bring it up, but it doesn't matter. The damage has been done, and Cutler is steamed. "Rookie mistake," one personnel director said of first-year coach Josh McDaniels. Cutler wasn't as forgiving and is expected to meet with his new head coach this week. Somewhere, Pat Bowlen is not amused.

Best value for the money
Andra Davis. Yeah, I know -- the guy is slow, but he still makes a lot of tackles. In fact, he made 134 of them last year. In general, I don't like signing free agents 30 and over, and Davis turned 30 last December. But it's not a long-term deal, and the Broncos paid virtually nothing. Davis gets a $540,000 signing bonus, with $460,000 of his first-year base ($1.2 million) guaranteed. If he makes 100 tackles again, they have themselves a bargain.

One deal that should have happened but didn't
Philadelphia re-signing safety Brian Dawkins. He wanted to retire with the Eagles, and it wouldn't have taken gazillions to make it happen. But the Eagles' two-year offer wasn't enough to prevent him from going to Denver, where he signed a deal that, in effect, was a two-year, $9 million proposition. In Denver, Dawkins is another outsider in an unfamiliar locker room; in Philadelphia, he was a team leader, a fan favorite and a welcome voice of reason. The Eagles' policy basically precludes them from re-signing 30-something players, and Dawkins will turn 36 this year. But they should have made an exception here. Not only was Dawkins the glue to the team's defense; he was coming off his seventh Pro Bowl season. He will be missed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11479997/rss

gyldenlove
03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
New Orleans in 2006

I have to admit I think not playing 16 away games and having homes to live in probably helped more than free agents.

vancejohnson82
03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
yikes......

USMCBladerunner
03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
This is a common perception...that the Broncos really loaded up on marginal players...what is missing is the understanding that, while marginal, they are almost certainly going to be upgrades...few of the players the Broncos cut have gotten picked up, and certainly not at their old salaries.

Gcver2ver3
03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
One deal that should have happened but didn't
Philadelphia re-signing safety Brian Dawkins. He wanted to retire with the Eagles, and it wouldn't have taken gazillions to make it happen. But the Eagles' two-year offer wasn't enough to prevent him from going to Denver, where he signed a deal that, in effect, was a two-year, $9 million proposition. In Denver, Dawkins is another outsider in an unfamiliar locker room; in Philadelphia, he was a team leader, a fan favorite and a welcome voice of reason. The Eagles' policy basically precludes them from re-signing 30-something players, and Dawkins will turn 36 this year. But they should have made an exception here. Not only was Dawkins the glue to the team's defense; he was coming off his seventh Pro Bowl season. He will be missed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11479997/rss

he an eagle fan?...

theAPAOps5
03-10-2009, 12:46 PM
On some teams thry are marginal. On Denver's they are upgrades.

HILife
03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Atleast he gave us an "A"

BroncoBuff
03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
When you have the worst defense in the league, more actually IS better. Besides, in his criticism, Judge missed several key points and justifications for all these signings:

Many of these signings will be cut, and recieve only signing bonuses. Many of these guys got very little guaranteed.
We had 7 RBs on IR this year, and appropriately then, 3 signees are RBs
We're switching to a 3-4 defense, and our current personnel was poorly-suited to that system
We have a new coach AND general manager, thus - as always - changes will happen
Pat Bowlen is a great owner, in that he gives his people what they need to win. We ALWAYS spend a lot in free agency
Josh comes from New England, where they've had huge success with older players on defense, thus Dawkins, Hill, Goodman, Davis, et al.
We had the youngest team in the league last year, or close to it. Experienced players are needed here more than elsewhere

Only 53 make the roster, I'm glad we'll have a selection that includes some experienced players.

cousinal11
03-10-2009, 01:14 PM

Yep.

Popps
03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Shows you how subjective this stuff is. The last breakdown I read loved our off-season, but hated the Davis pick-up. It's all just chatter.

Personally, I think there is an absolute plan in place... and I like it. Reminds me very much of what Shanahan did when he arrived in Denver, adding the "glue" type players to hold the team together, as well as adding key players like Dawkins.

Flex Gunmetal
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
When you have the worst defense in the league, more actually IS better. Besides, in his criticism, Judge missed several key points and justifications for all these signings:

Many of these signings will be cut, and recieve only signing bonuses. Many of these guys got very little guaranteed.
We had 7 RBs on IR this year, and appropriately then, 3 signees are RBs
We're switching to a 3-4 defense, and our current personnel was poorly-suited to that system
We have a new coach AND general manager, thus - as always - changes will happen
Pat Bowlen is a great owner, in that he gives his people what they need to win. We ALWAYS spend a lot in free agency
Josh comes from New England, where they've had huge success with older players on defense, thus Dawkins, Hill, Goodman, Davis, et al.
We had the youngest team in the league last year, or close to it. Experienced players are needed here more than elsewhere

Only 53 make the roster, I'm glad we'll have a selection that includes some experienced players.

You are a shining beacon of hope in this dark, frightening world.

bap454
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Atleast he gave us an "A"

An "A" with no lubrication.... I dont get it.

TheReverend
03-10-2009, 01:25 PM

True in most cases, but we could've gotten better upgrades for the same or even LESS money.

Drek
03-10-2009, 01:48 PM
True in most cases, but we could've gotten better upgrades for the same or even LESS money.

Like who?

By all means start naming them.

backup qb
03-10-2009, 01:56 PM
And here we go.....

SoDak Bronco
03-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Personally i'd rather we went after some major upgrades..For instance, I wish we would've made a serious run at Bart Scott, not sure if he would've considered us, but it would've been a big piece to bring him in. I'd rather we also not spend so much damn money on a LS when we had a good one already, but hey what do I know.

TheReverend
03-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Like who?

By all means start naming them.

Keep Fields and Davis.

Phillips and Sanders > Dawkins and Hill

Keep Bly or take McFadden > Goodman

Any other questions?

Rohirrim
03-10-2009, 02:15 PM
No plan? What about simply replacing, and upgrading, the dead weight you just trimmed off? Where was the Broncos FO going to get the replacements for those guys, the draft? I don't think so.

bronco militia
03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
no plan would have ment signing 5 OL and 5 WR's..

give me a ****ing break

Archer81
03-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Might be lateral moves, difference is they are McDaniel's guys.

:Broncos:

BroncoBuff
03-10-2009, 02:34 PM
You are a shining beacon of hope in this dark, frightening world.

Don't be afraid, my son ...

BroncoBuff
03-10-2009, 02:36 PM
To this point, Arrington and Paxton are the only two signings I don't like, and Grady Jackson is the only non-signing I don't like.

So I'm pretty pleased at what they're doing. Even the Cutler fiasco looks understandable in hindsight - if Sandy Clough is correct that we were offered the #1 and #20 picks in addition to Cassel.

So I find no fault with these guys. So far.

Inkana7
03-10-2009, 02:37 PM
He suggested we should look at Mavin Harrison, meaning that he thinks he's some sort of marquee FA. What a doucher.

TheReverend
03-10-2009, 02:41 PM
He suggested we should look at Mavin Harrison, meaning that he thinks he's some sort of marquee FA. What a doucher.

You couldn't be more wrong. It's called sarcasm. He's another over 30 player that's become mediocre at best is what he's saying.

Inkana7
03-10-2009, 02:42 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. It's called sarcasm. He's another over 30 player that's become mediocre at best is what he's saying.

Eh. I guess it can be see that way.

TonyR
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM

You seriously don't realize that was sarcasm? When a near first ballot HOF player is available and nobody's interested that means he's washed up. Thus the sarcastic comment that he's available.

Flex Gunmetal
03-10-2009, 03:27 PM

lol thats the way it is.

watermock
03-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Other than an over the hill Dawkins, we are as unprepared for a 3-4 as possible. That doesn't mean that McDummy will stop destroying our #2 offense, which only needed a durable back. Buckhalter?

Nkintendo redux. No FB or TE's.

summerdenver
03-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Keep Fields and Davis.

Phillips and Sanders > Dawkins and Hill

Keep Bly or take McFadden > Goodman

Any other questions?

Canty, Bart Scott may have been out of our budget but I will add

Ward > our RBs and to some extent
Holt > David Anderson (Reportedly Holt is available for 7th round pick per clayton, which is waht we would have given to Texas)

But I just can't imagine us being as bad as last year on defense. Getting rid of Slowik will be good.

TheReverend
03-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Canty, Bart Scott may have been out of our budget but I will add

Ward > our RBs and to some extent
Holt > David Anderson (Reportedly Holt is available for 7th round pick per clayton, which is waht we would have given to Texas)

But I just can't imagine us being as bad as last year on defense. Getting rid of Slowik will be good.

Oh I completely agree, but my point was we could've made significantly BETTER upgrades to our holes for the same price or less and with YOUNGER players.

Granted, they're all in orange and blue so I hope they succeed and have career years, but I can't envision a scenario where Correll Buckhalter is competing for a starting job......

yerner
03-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah, i agree for the most part. These dudes are scrubs. I would have preferred just drafting and signing rookie free agents for the long run. Apparently, Mcdeesnuts thinks he might get some chemistry out of these guys and make a run next year. hope it happens.