PDA

View Full Version : Eagles fire a worker for Facebook note (Regarding Dawkins)

ludo21
03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3965039

A Facebook post criticizing his employer, the Philadelphia Eagles, cost a stadium operations worker his job, according to a story in Monday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

Were the Eagles justified in firing Dan Leone for his critical Facebook status update?
Yes
No

Dan Leone, who the Inquirer said worked as a west gate chief, was unhappy the team let Brian Dawkins sign with the Denver Broncos in free agency. According to the newspaper, Leone posted the following on his Facebook page: "Dan is [expletive] devastated about Dawkins signing with Denver ... Dam Eagles R Retarted!!"

Despite deleting the comment, Leone told the Inquirer the Eagles fired him by phone days later.

"I shouldn't have put it up there," Leone said, according to the Inquirer. "I was ticked off, and I let my emotions go, but I didn't offend any one person or target a specific individual. I was just upset that we lost such a great guy. Dawkins was one of my favorite players. I made a mistake."

Leone said he was shocked to lose his job of six years.

"I apologized for it," Leone said, according to the paper. "I apologized 20 million times. I never bad-mouthed the organization before. I made one mistake and they terminate me? And they couldn't even bring me into the office to talk to me? They had to do it over the phone? At least look me in the eye. To get done dirty like this, I can't believe it. I'm devastated."

The Eagles confirmed that Leone was a part-time staff member, but didn't comment further.

Malcontent
03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
wow...I better watch what I write on facebook...This is ridiculous though!

broncosteven
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
He would fit in right here!

I wonder how he feels about MickyD. He should post in Popps poll.

He should also go around like Broncotwit7 and Twitguy92 telling the InterneTS who is a real bronco fan and who isn't.

ludo21
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
This is messed up now that I think of it. Sure he works for the organization, but venting on a blog deems firing now?

DivineBronco
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
hmmmmmm but is he a "real" fan.....hehe

Bronx33
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
How petty but i wonder if it was this guy?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1778/17866691.jpg

Popps
03-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Dawkins seems to garner this kind of loyalty from fans and teammates. I couldn't be any more excited to have this guy playing for us.

Bronx33
03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Dawkins seems to garner this kind of loyalty from fans and teammates. I couldn't be any more excited to have this guy playing for us.

Yep! but as you can see eagles fans have no class and their oganization is the same heres what those classless drunks did to the C lot in 05.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/301/img8800.jpg

So ****! em! i love the dawkins signing.

baja
03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Guy loses his job because he expressed his opinion in a completely non job related medium on his own time and nobody is enraged. My my how how Amerika has changed.

Bronx33
03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I would almost bet he signed something when he was hired that covered stuff like this.

Miss I.
03-09-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20090309_Gonzo___Cold_Eagles_sure_are_thin-skinned.html

Another article on the topic, but frankly most of this is opinion and one-sided so I kind of wonder if the guy was fired for more then just a facebook post. He was only parttime employee so given the state of the economy it seems likely he may have been cut for that more then anything.

ohiobronco2
03-09-2009, 07:29 PM

Exactly. I think we are going to have a very solid backfield. Now solidify the front seven and we might have a top 15 (By that I mean 15th) D.

Northman
03-09-2009, 07:30 PM

A lot of them. A guy at my work is still bumming about losing Dawkins.

ohiobronco2
03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Just goes to show you that you must be careful. If he identified himself an as Eagle employee on facebook, it was a poor decision to post criticism. My boss has told me that they google names, look on facebook and myspace for both current and prospective employees.

Northman
03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Just goes to show you that you must be careful. If he identified himself an as Eagle employee on facebook, it was a poor decision to post criticism. My boss has told me that they google names, look on facebook and myspace for both current and prospective employees.

Yea, it is kind of funny. Comcast is the same way. They take it very seriously if you badmouth them to the public.

TallyBronco
03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Obviously you don't talk **** about your employer on the record.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2009, 08:34 PM
He committed a hate crime on the Eagles. He's lucky he's not in jail.

FireFly
03-09-2009, 11:01 PM
I would almost bet he signed something when he was hired that covered stuff like this.

Thats probably exactly right. It was probably in his contract. Maybe not about facebook, but public comment would have been prohibited, which is what it was. So they were within their rights.

FireFly
03-09-2009, 11:02 PM

I know for a fact, that someone just missed out on a job where I work because of their face book profile. Messed up sure. Can they do anything about it? Nope. Not without proof which is impossible to obtain.

BroncosinDC
03-09-2009, 11:50 PM
So per my Facebook page I shouldn't have my Job Description as, "Make money, make people happy, not ****ing up, and sexually harassing Jennelle."?

I hope to never make it to the real world, my "boss" and I agree having a real job in an office would probably last for about 15 seconds.

broncoblue
03-10-2009, 03:08 AM
happened here too a gal had wrote her job was boring so they fired her.

DenverBroncosJM
03-10-2009, 09:14 AM
This is another reason why I refuse to have a facebook etc.

So much info is already public knowledge why help with more?

GoBroncos DownUnder
03-10-2009, 09:36 AM
So, in the USA, you have the RIGHT to an opinion and the RIGHT to free speech ... unless you're employed by an NFL franchise?

dbfan4life
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
He committed a hate crime on the Eagles. He's lucky he's not in jail.

Eagle fans are way worse when it comes to bashing their own team. This is mild compared to what most Eagle fans are capable of.