PDA

View Full Version : Biggest improvement will be in the lack of cronyism and not so much the FA signings

lex
03-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I see a lot of blather about the FA signings. Theyre really not a lot different than what we have seen in the past. If anything, we're now overpaying for RB, which we hadnt typically done in the past. The only improvement over the old regime is putting in place better coaches, especially on defense. If we improve this year, this will be a major reason why.

rugbythug
03-09-2009, 08:27 AM
I see a lot of blather about the FA signings. Theyre really not a lot different than what we have seen in the past. If anything, we're now overpaying for RB, which we hadnt typically done in the past. The only improvement over the old regime is putting in place better coaches, especially on defense. If we improve this year, this will be a major reason why.

Travis Henry Called- He needs some bail money.

lex
03-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Travis Henry Called- He needs some bail money.

Yeah, that was the one time we targeted a FA RB and it didnt work out so well. It wasnt only his off field problems either. Young was playing as well as Henry anyway. But it took the old regime, what, 10 years to bring in a RB. Bringing up Henry is laughable. Its not at all indicative of the old regime. Pittman was had for peanuts.

Anaximines
03-09-2009, 09:55 AM
IThe only improvement over the old regime is putting in place better coaches, especially on defense.

I don't know, there were always a lot of heads rolling under Shannahan. You mean because he wanted to keep Slowik? And didn't McDaniels hire his brother or something? I think Shanahan made a good effort to put good coaches in place, with the Coyer hiring especially. You're probably right now, if you don't consider the HC position, I think the coaching staff is a lot stronger now. We obviously wouldn't have gone out and gotten Nolan.

I think it will be better because maybe McDaniels doesn't feel personally invested in the players and regime here so he's more willing to make dramatic changes (which we're seeing). Is he going overboard? We'll see.

lex
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I don't know, there were always a lot of heads rolling under Shannahan. You mean because he wanted to keep Slowik? And didn't McDaniels hire his brother or something? I think Shanahan made a good effort to put good coaches in place, with the Coyer hiring especially. You're probably right now, if you don't consider the HC position, I think the coaching staff is a lot stronger now. We obviously wouldn't have gone out and gotten Nolan.

I think it will be better because maybe McDaniels doesn't feel personally invested in the players and regime here so he's more willing to make dramatic changes (which we're seeing). Is he going overboard? We'll see.

Im not setting fire to everything Shanahan did. But I disagree that he really demanded competence/accountability from a lot of his coaches. I think in the end, that was his downfall. Its kind of telling that Slowik, who allegedly was friends with Shanahan, was going to get a 3rd season as DC even after the first two years.

BTW, Im not so sure Bowlen wasnt backing the acquisition of Nolan and some of the other coaches. And I also wouldnt be surprised if Bowlen was involved in bringnig them in. Thats total speculation on my part though.

Cito Pelon
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Cronyism and nepotism was the Goodmans. There was three of them in the FO. There's still one.

Drek
03-09-2009, 10:17 AM

We've brought in a lot of RBs who have small money deals. Its a lot of filler to find out who actually has game and who doesn't. I don't see the problem here.

What were we supposed to do, overpay for Ward? Draft Beanie Wells at #12? Those seem like really good ways to dramatically overpay for RBs, not bringing in a bunch of guys with a little tread left on the tires to see what handful of them can still play.

colonelbeef
03-09-2009, 10:43 AM
I think this question went out the window the second McDaniels signed his little brother straight off of the high school team to be on his staff

lex
03-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I think this question went out the window the second McDaniels signed his little brother straight off of the high school team to be on his staff

I said cronyism and not nepotism but, youre right, that does suck. But Im more optimistic about the coaches overall though and that more will be expected of them. At least I hope. If he wants to hire his brother but the other coaches step up and are expected to step up, Ill look the other way on his brother.

bronco militia
03-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Biggest improvement will be in the lack of cronyism

LOL

but Nepotism is ok

lex
03-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Biggest improvement will be in the lack of cronyism

LOL

but Nepotism is ok

I didnt say nepotism is ok. Where did I say that?

bronco militia
03-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I didnt say nepotism is ok. Where did I say that?

nepotism, cronyism...what's the ****ing difference

bronco militia
03-09-2009, 11:13 AM
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/drew/DREW012309.gif

lex
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
nepotism, cronyism...what's the ****ing difference

Youre getting totally sidetracked. Again, at what point did I say nepotism is ok?

bronco militia
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Youre getting totally sidetracked. Again, at what point did I say nepotism is ok?

side tracked? this has been one gigantic Cutler errrrrrr Cluster **** of an offseason.