PDA

View Full Version : A change in the NFL suspention process?

BroncoDoug
03-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Maybe this can Help Marshall out if David Cornwell gets his way...

Sports attorney David Cornwell is challenging the NFL's right to discipline players by proposing to appoint an independent arbitrator to review -- and have the power to change -- rulings made by the commissioner.

Cornwell, one of four finalists in the running to replace the late Gene Upshaw as the NFL Players Association's executive director, described the league's current disciplinary policy as being "draconian" and requiring independent oversight.

"The notion that public relations drives or justifies draconian and unfair disciplinary actions is simply misplaced and we will no longer accept it," Cornwell told The Associated Press. "We have the legal right to negotiate these policies ... and we are going to exercise that right to get independent review of the commissioner's decisions."

Cornwell is closely tied to the issue of discipline after he successfully argued last season to have a federal judge block the NFL suspension of five players for violating the league's anti-doping policy. He argued that the suspensions were wrong because the NFL knew about the banned ingredient contained in the dietary supplement StarCaps but failed to share that information with players.

The league has appealed the ruling.

Currently, NFL suspensions are determined by commissioner Roger Goodell. Aside from filing grievances with the NFL, the union's sole other option is going to court. Cornwell is proposing an appeals process that is similar to that of Major League Baseball and the NBA.

In an e-mail to the AP, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is not going to comment on proposals made by executive director candidates. Aiello, however, noted that, "The commissioner's disciplinary authority has always been a bedrock principle of the NFL that has served everyone, including players, very well."

Entering his third year as commissioner, Goodell has made discipline one of his top priorities.

The other three finalists to replace Upshaw, who died in August, are former union presidents Troy Vincent and Trace Armstrong, and Washington D.C.-based attorney DeMaurice Smith.

The union is scheduled to select its next boss by vote at its annual meetings at Maui on March 15.

If elected, Cornwell said he would include the issue of discipline as part of the next labor talks after the NFL last year opted out of the collective bargaining agreement.

"If the commissioner regulates player conduct, then it is a term and condition of employment," Cornwell said. "After the StarCaps' case and other less publicized decisions, we will fix the problem caused by no independent review of commissioner disciplinary decisions."

Cornwell made clear that the NFL's reputation would not suffer under his proposal.

"We will make a focused commitment on making sure that the fan understands that the vast majority of NFL players are great community citizens," he said. "The notion that a person who has a bad event is a reflection on all of us is misplaced."

Cornwell also proposed creating a new senior union executive position to directly address concerns of retired players in an attempt to stem a series of lawsuits and complaints against the NFLPA, and begin bridging a rift that has grown between the two sides.

The person taking over the new position of special adviser for retired players would report directly to the executive director, Cornwell said.

Cornwell re-entered the executive director election process after gaining the written support of three of 32 player representatives, as allowed under union rules to place a candidate on the ballot. He had been previously eliminated as a finalist by the union's search committee in January.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/08/nfl.suspensions.ap/index.html

spdirty
03-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Like some of those ideas. Especially with the retired NFL players. The guys sounds good, just hope he doesnt get too strong, like Fehr. And please dont cause a labor stoppage.

And once again, if Marshall gets suspended even 1 game for this arrest, its absolute bullshlt.

Spider
03-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I dont know , Marshall got a break last year .. seems he is right back in hot water .......

spdirty
03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I dont know , Marshall got a break last year .. seems he is right back in hot water .......

charges were dropped less than 12 hours after getting arrested...should be case closed.

tsiguy96
03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
this may be the most ridiculous thing in the NFL today. the fact that the commissioner gets to assign suspensions randomly (marshall gets 3 games for dumb **** yet marshawn lynch can do a hit and run and get off clean), and is also the person who handles appeals etc.

gyldenlove
03-08-2009, 04:34 PM
This issue is going to be debated with the new CBA, it is not going to be an overnight change. Essentially the NFL has the right to dole out suspensions and the players agreed to it, I doubt anything will change significantly before the new CBA is in place which will take 2+ years.

BroncoDoug
03-08-2009, 04:35 PM
charges were dropped less than 12 hours after getting arrested...should be case closed.

It should be, but I think Goodell is going to look at it like a slap in the face...He cut his suspension down, in good faith, and Marshall couldn't stay away from the cops.

I agree he shouldn't get suspended for this incident, but I don't know if Goodell will look at it that way.

Spider
03-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Maybe so , but he was in the same situation again . Look I like Marshall , big fan , but he keeps getting into these situations , it will lead to something more serious down the road ......... He should have served out the full suspension last year ...... going light on someone isnt really doing them a favor

Dean
03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
......... He should have served out the full suspension last year ...... going light on someone isnt really doing them a favor

Is that what you tell the Highway patrolman on a stop? ;)

Popps
03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
The notion that public relations drives or justifies draconian and unfair disciplinary actions is simply misplaced and we will no longer accept it

Lawyer bull****, and stupid bull****, at that.

The NFL IS public relations. The entire business is predicated on public relations. The teams are named after cities. It's as image-based as any business in the world.

So, a bunch of cro-mags out there beating their women and driving drunk reflects poorly on the NFL's business.

Consequently, as business-owners, they reserve the right to employ who they want to represent them, and punish those who violate conduct laws.

Don't like it, wife-beaters? Go get a job in the real world and see how many employers want to hire you after you have a felony on your record.

**** Brandon Marshall and the horse he rode in on. I couldn't care less if he ever wears a Broncos uniform again. He's a ****ing idiot.

Spider
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Is that what you tell the Highway patrolman on a stop? ;)

LOL last time i got pulled over was in Neb. Trooper said I got a report about a trucker running cars off the road ( If , and it is a big if he did , there was no mistaking my truck , I had a bull dozer on ) I said thats funny , cause I just got a report over the CB about a trooper being a jerk , you wouldnt know anything about that would you ?
;D needless to say all of my paper work was in order and I passed a level 2 inspection ;)

Florida_Bronco
03-08-2009, 10:00 PM
LOL last time i got pulled over was in Neb. Trooper said I got a report about a trucker running cars off the road ( If , and it is a big if he did , there was no mistaking my truck , I had a bull dozer on ) I said thats funny , cause I just got a report over the CB about a trooper being a jerk , you wouldnt know anything about that would you ?
;D needless to say all of my paper work was in order and I passed a level 2 inspection ;)

Gotta watch those Nebraska troopers man. They love to pop those truck drives. My dad dealt with them alot driving out of Omaha when we lived there.

Broncoman13
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
The notion that public relations drives or justifies draconian and unfair disciplinary actions is simply misplaced and we will no longer accept it

The NFL IS public relations. The entire business is predicated on public relations. The teams are named after cities. It's as image-based as any business in the world.

So, a bunch of cro-mags out there beating their women and driving drunk reflects poorly on the NFL's business.

Consequently, as business-owners, they reserve the right to employ who they want to represent them, and punish those who violate conduct laws.

Don't like it, wife-beaters? Go get a job in the real world and see how many employers want to hire you after you have a felony on your record.

**** Brandon Marshall and the horse he rode in on. I couldn't care less if he ever wears a Broncos uniform again. He's a ****ing idiot.

Nice rant... you done or you going to keep saying the same thing over and over until everyone agrees with you? Just wondering b/c I think you should probably work on that BabyTO guy before trying to conquer the rest of the world.

Broncos_OTM
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM

**** Brandon Marshall and the horse he rode in on. I couldn't care less if he ever wears a Broncos uniform again. He's a ****ing idiot.I work at a place that does thorough back ground checks. I've seen a bazillion temporary guys about to get hired on and instead get the ax due to a DV.
I'm all for helping people in a bad situation. But the DV law is really a crap law. I know a guy that got one for kicking a door in. He didnt beat his wife but he will never be able to get a really good job due to it.Not hireing these people is the wrong way to go about it. People that have been to prison have served their sentance i dont see why for the rest of theeir life it should follow them around and not allow them to get a decent job. No wonder their is such a high return rate on parolees. then again Prison is big buisness

Popps
03-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Nice rant... you done or you going to keep saying the same thing over and over until everyone agrees with you? Just wondering b/c I think you should probably work on that BabyTO guy before trying to conquer the rest of the world.

Look junior, I'll quit talking about Brandon when Brandon can keep his stupid ass out of the back of a police car.

What's your beef with it, anyway? You one of these guys who played down his other 300 legal problems because he can catch a football? (Usually.)

I'll rant on it again, so put me on ignore if you're tired of it. Or, maybe you could actually focus your discontent on the guy who necessitates a board full of threads about his legal issues every other day.

tsiguy96
03-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I work at a place that does thorough back ground checks. I've seen a bazillion temporary guys about to get hired on and instead get the ax due to a DV.
I'm all for helping people in a bad situation. But the DV law is really a crap law. I know a guy that got one for kicking a door in. He didnt beat his wife but he will never be able to get a really good job due to it.Not hireing these people is the wrong way to go about it. People that have been to prison have served their sentance i dont see why for the rest of theeir life it should follow them around and not allow them to get a decent job. No wonder their is such a high return rate on parolees. then again Prison is big buisness

whats more troubling is the sheer number of prison convicts for non violent crimes....

Bronco Bob
03-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Look junior, I'll quit talking about Brandon when Brandon can keep his stupid ass out of the back of a police car.

What's your beef with it, anyway? You one of these guys who played down his other 300 legal problems because he can catch a football? (Usually.)

I'll rant on it again, so put me on ignore if you're tired of it. Or, maybe you could actually focus your discontent on the guy who necessitates a board full of threads about his legal issues every other day.

So if Marshall is such an ogre, why did the cops drop the charges 12 hours later?
He either did it or he didn't do it. That they dropped the charges kind
of indicates they didn't have a case against him.

Florida_Bronco
03-08-2009, 11:35 PM
So if Marshall is such an ogre, why did the cops drop the charges 12 hours later?

Agreed. People are also acting like Marshall beat up his girlfriend when the police report said the fighting was mutual and made no mention of who started the altercation.

I seriously believe this will turn out to be another non-issue, just like his "false imprisonment" and Marcus Thomas drug charges were.

richpjr
03-08-2009, 11:47 PM

There are lots of reasons why charges are not filed. Nothing happened is certainly one of them. But so are a lot of other things, like his fiancee or other witnesses refusing to testify. That doesn't just mean he did nothing, it could also mean they think they'd have a hard time convicting him. Those are very different things. Regardless of whether or not he was charged, why does he keep putting himself in a position where the police have to be called? I haven't had the cops called on me a single time in my life. Really, it's not that hard to lead a lifestyle that doesn't constantly involve the police.

Florida_Bronco
03-08-2009, 11:57 PM
There are lots of reasons why charges are not filed. Nothing happened is certainly one of them. But so are a lot of other things, like his fiancee or other witnesses refusing to testify. That doesn't just mean he did nothing, it could also mean they think they'd have a hard time convicting him. Those are very different things. Regardless of whether or not he was charged, why does he keep putting himself in a position where the police have to be called? I haven't had the cops called on me a single time in my life. Really, it's not that hard to lead a lifestyle that doesn't constantly involve the police.

Me and Sassy went round and round about this and I'll say it again. The only situation he put himself in this time was being with his fiancee. It's not like he was out at some seedy club way into the night...he was just with the girl.

UberBroncoMan
03-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Have to point out that Marshall didn't have the cops called on him. He and his fiancee were fighting in front of his condo in Atlanta. They got busted because some cops literally witnessed it.

DBroncos4life
03-09-2009, 12:09 AM

Youre lucky they didnt cap you then ask questions.

Popps
03-09-2009, 01:03 AM

Dude, it doesn't matter. You just don't understand the situation.

This guy is so skull-shatteringly stupid that he can't even be out in public with his soon-to-be wife without getting A R R E S T E D. He's a ****ing idiot. He's been pulling this **** since college. (Arrested in college.)

The whole "blame the girlfriend" story is over. We buried that fairy-tale with the last round of arrests/suspensions/whatever.

I'm not saying he's evil, I'm saying he's stupid... VERY stupid. He's got a job most people would kill for and can't keep his ass out of police cars.

Honestly... cops had to break up their fight? C'mon, I've never even witnessed that. I've never known anyone who didn't have enough brains to keep a fight like that in private. This guy manages this **** a couple times a year.

Marshall, who was jailed for five hours Sunday morning after his fourth arrest in three years, is looking at possibly beginning the season at home just like he did last year. Marshall was banned from the opener following seven police-related incidents with his former girlfriend.

O.K.? So, get that **** out of here.

Broncoman13
03-09-2009, 07:38 AM

You're funny! ;D

I don't really have a beef. Just saying that you've posted the same thing (in one way or another) about 300 times. You've swayed me. I think Brandon sucks ass and should be drug out back and shot (feel better?). Now that you've swayed me, I think you should work on BabyTO. He is more of a challenge! I went willingly and fell in line like a good sheep....errr, soldier.

Seriously, I don't have a problem with you posting your displeasure with Brandon Marshall. But, do you think there is anyone on this board that doesn't already know your feelings on the guy? It would be like Hogan and Sally posting on every BMarsh thread and presenting exhibit a) Chris Henry; b) Terrible Owens; and c) Chad Johnson (since they love him too). Point is, everyone knows how they feel about those guys and you don't see them posting the same thing over and over (phew, I just looked at the responses to make sure I wasn't making shiat up Ha!).

Like I put in my rep comment (loved yours btw, you can PM me your rants, I'll forward them on to BabyTO and try to spread the good word!), I don't think BMarsh is as great as most people think. Training Camp and the first few games of the season... LOVE WATCHING HIM! He really brings it then. Then he wears down and by the end of the season he looks fatigued and slow. Seriously, there were a few times that he looked so slow that I think Mike Shanahan could out run him. Yah, he had a problem with his hip I know... but he still has conditioning issues and until he gets around those he won't be a consistent or top 5 WR. That's my PoV but you don't see me running around putting it in every single BMarsh thread, that would be like.......... YOU!

Broncoman13
03-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Dude, it doesn't matter. You just don't understand the situation.

This guy is so skull-shatteringly stupid that he can't even be out in public with his soon-to-be wife without getting A R R E S T E D. He's a ****ing idiot. He's been pulling this **** since college. (Arrested in college.)

The whole "blame the girlfriend" story is over. We buried that fairy-tale with the last round of arrests/suspensions/whatever.

I'm not saying he's evil, I'm saying he's stupid... VERY stupid. He's got a job most people would kill for and can't keep his ass out of police cars.

Honestly... cops had to break up their fight? C'mon, I've never even witnessed that. I've never known anyone who didn't have enough brains to keep a fight like that in private. This guy manages this **** a couple times a year.

Marshall, who was jailed for five hours Sunday morning after his fourth arrest in three years, is looking at possibly beginning the season at home just like he did last year. Marshall was banned from the opener following seven police-related incidents with his former girlfriend.

O.K.? So, get that **** out of here.

But they're going to change the rules so he'll be okay. As long as he is getting arrested for "no reason" he shouldn't get suspended. I wonder if the Broncos could negotiate when his suspension will occur. If we could get him his 4 games off in weeks 8-11 I think he could come back and play well to finish the year out. And, we'd only have to pay him 66% of his salary! Think about it, he goes into the tank to end the season anyhow. This way he'd be fresh for a nice stretch run and into the playoffs and we'd get a nice little break on his salary!!! 8')

Popps
03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Look, Oskie... I like you. I'm not repeating myself here to get on your nerves. The fact is that Marshall continues to make these issues come up.

Not trying to "spread any word." I'm just reacting to general frustration over this guy's antics, and the position it puts the team in.

In this particular case, I was reacting to a proposed change of the rules to accommodate dickweeds and their dickweed behavior.

So, it's not as if Brandon was just being a good, chruch-going boy and I came up with a tirade without prompting. I didn't even start the thread.

My opinion hasn't changed because HE hasn't changed, so again... sorry, you may hear me voice my discontent with this and other similar situations in the future.

Broncoman13
03-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Nobody is perfect... I accept you the way you are. ;D

No worries, just having some fun with you.

Look, Oskie... I like you. I'm not repeating myself here to get on your nerves. The fact is that Marshall continues to make these issues come up.

Not trying to "spread any word." I'm just reacting to general frustration over this guy's antics, and the position it puts the team in.

In this particular case, I was reacting to a proposed change of the rules to accommodate dickweeds and their dickweed behavior.

So, it's not as if Brandon was just being a good, chruch-going boy and I came up with a tirade without prompting. I didn't even start the thread.

My opinion hasn't changed because HE hasn't changed, so again... sorry, you may hear me voice my discontent with this and other similar situations in the future.