PDA

View Full Version : Trading up for Raji

Elway777
03-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Would you trade our first and 3 plus a 5 rounder to move up for Raji. A team like Jacksonville might be willing to do the Trade. I could also see the Broncos trading our 1 and 2 rounder to Bengals for their 6 round pick . The Broncos get their #1 need of Nose tackle in Raji. If the Broncos could add a player like Jason Taylor in free agency then I could see the Broncos trading up for Raji.

tsiguy96
03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
depends...if hes there at 8-9 yes but i wouldnt try to move up too far to get him.

PRBronco
03-08-2009, 03:43 PM
No, I've read more than report suggesting Raji, despite appearances, isn't ideal as a nose tackle, and is more suited to a 4 man front.

GoBroncos84
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
No thanks. If Raji falls to us, then ok. I don't want to trade up for him. I'd rather stay put and take Jackson or Maualuga at 12 and use the other picks.

ANIMAL24
03-08-2009, 03:59 PM
no

barryr
03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
No I wouldn't because NT's in a 3-4 can be found later in the draft. Broncos need guys on defense that can make plays and NT's in a 3-4 are generally facing double teams, so they aren't usually going to be making a lot of plays. They help others make plays, but right now, the Broncos don't have the guys to make any big plays right now.

Popps
03-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I just don't know enough about him. Haven't seen him play outside of a few videos.

If he's a true NT prospect and falls in the can't-miss categor (see Clady)... then there's no question you trade up. Our entire defense is predicated on three big bastards that can control the LOS.

But, it sure seems to me like there will be some good value there at 12, or even trading down a few spots and taking one of the USC LBs is an option.

Killericon
03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Does anyone think he'd make a good 3-4 end?

Gcver2ver3
03-08-2009, 04:09 PM
no...we're are sitting at a good spot at 12...

somebody really good will likely fall to us, giving us the option to either draft him (if he's a defensive player) or listen to offers from teams wanting to acquire our pick (if he's an offensive player such as Crabtree or Sanchez)...

Requiem
03-08-2009, 04:10 PM
There will be good defensive talent at #12 for Denver. They should be interested in trading down if that's possible.

gyldenlove
03-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Yep, I think he would be good anywhere on a 3 man front.

On the whole I wouldn't move up, there are at least 2 pass rushing OLBs with value, 1 DE, 1 NT and 1 CT/FS who would all be good at number 12, and this doesn't count Curry suddenly sliding.

With at least 1LB, 1 QB, at least 1 WR, and at least 2 OTs being drafted in the top 10 and probably more we should get one of the good defensive talents, and if somehow they are all drafted ahead of us I am sure we can find someone who would like to move up a bit for Sanchez or Oher. Maclin has been shooting up boards too, and realisticly we could end up having more than 1 of the players Raji, Brown, Orakpo, Malcolm and Jackson to choose from.

UberBroncoMan
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Nah... I'd rather us have our picks. Plus Ron Brace could be just as good if not better at NT and we could get him by trading down out 1st and picking up an extra 2nd. Raji was a penetration DT that relied on Brace taking up lots of people... it just so happens taking up blockers is something that a NT must be good at.

tsiguy96
03-08-2009, 04:41 PM
im in the "BPA on defense, trade down if offensive player falls" school of thought right now...

Rohirrim
03-08-2009, 05:12 PM
The Broncos need every pick they can get. If anything, they should trade down and get value picks in the second round.

Needa Pass Rush
03-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't know... I watched a fair number of BC Eagle games this year. I think you could make the argument to stay at 12 (or trade down) and take BPA and look at Raji's teammate at BC, Ron Brace in the second or third. I think Brace could be the better NT prospect.

broncofan7
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
No.

bpc
03-08-2009, 05:25 PM
No.

cmhargrove
03-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Don't buy into the huge pre draft hype. Raji might indeed make a very good NFL NT, but that's not his natural position. He would do much better being a standout 4-3 DT (but we might be running a hybrid for the next couple years). He would be a very good pick at #12, but not worth trading picks for.

Now, if we could trade a player like Scheffler to move up and snag him, that might be worth it.

It's my opinion that any of this year's NT's will take a year or two to develop, so we might as well just take some of the bigger DT's available in rounds 2-5. There is good talent at LB for the #12 pick - I mean instant starter material. You can't pass on an instant starting LB, they usually do well their rookie year.

Stay put, or trade down.

BroncoMan4ever
03-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Would you trade our first and 3 plus a 5 rounder to move up for Raji. A team like Jacksonville might be willing to do the Trade. I could also see the Broncos trading our 1 and 2 rounder to Bengals for their 6 round pick . The Broncos get their #1 need of Nose tackle in Raji. If the Broncos could add a player like Jason Taylor in free agency then I could see the Broncos trading up for Raji.

Jason Taylor just seems like a waste of money. if we were staying in a 4-3 permanently and he could play his natural DE spot only, then i would be for bringing him in, but i do not want to pay a good pass rushing DE the huge sum they will want, for them to have to come in and play a different position and have to learn the new position. it's the same reason i have been against Peppers all offseason.

also, with trading our 1st, a 3rd and a 5th for Raji, that is way too high of a price for a guy who seems he would be of more use in a 4-3 allignment than he will be as a 3-4 NT.

if anything, i say trade back a few spots pick up an extra 2nd and get Brace in the 2nd.

Archer81
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
No, I would not throw out the entire draft for one NT.

:Broncos:

SportinOne
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I agree. When you say, "A team like Jacksonville," if you are implying that they could use the extra draft picks then, well, we are also a team like Jacksonville. I would love to grab Luga at 12 if he is there, otherwise definitely move down and get the extra guys. We just need to find the biggest guy we can and put him at NT. A one trick pony. He needs only to be able to be fat. That's it. Get him in the fourth or fifth and upgrade LB, DE, CB, or S for the rest of the draft. Unless another guy like Matt Cassell becomes available at a good spot. Quarterbacks with less talent are always better.

Archer81
03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Our defense had a lack of decent scheme and a lack of talent and depth. If all we needed was a single NT to turn our defense into a top 5 unit, then of course, trade some picks and get that guy. We need more than Raji, so no, dont do it.

extralife
03-08-2009, 06:13 PM
I'd much rather trade down than up, and if there's one good thing about the All Mighty Patriot Way that I'm sure Coach Kid will adhere to, it's that it agrees.

TheDave
03-08-2009, 06:15 PM
We can't afford to trade up for anyone... we just have too many needs.

Taco John
03-08-2009, 06:17 PM
No. We have way too many needs to fill, and need as many bodies as possible to fill them.

tsiguy96
03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I'd much rather trade down than up, and if there's one good thing about the All Mighty Patriot Way that I'm sure Coach Kid will adhere to, it's that it agrees.

didnt the pats trade up a lot last year for meyo? or did they have that pick already?

TheDave
03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
didnt the pats trade up a lot last year for meyo? or did they have that pick already?

They already had #7 I think they got it in a trade with San Fran the year before.

gyldenlove
03-08-2009, 07:35 PM

The Patriots traded down from number 7 to number 10. They had number 7 from San Fransisco for trading their 2007 1st round pick so the 49ers could pick Joe Staley.

azbroncfan
03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Nah... I'd rather us have our picks. Plus Ron Brace could be just as good if not better at NT and we could get him by trading down out 1st and picking up an extra 2nd. Raji was a penetration DT that relied on Brace taking up lots of people... it just so happens taking up blockers is something that a NT must be good at.

I thought Brace had a poor combine and senior bowl.

Taco John
03-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I thought Brace had a poor combine and senior bowl.

I think people put way too much stock into these when there's a body of work beyond them to evaluate.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM

The Patriot Way is trading picks this year for higher future picks

baja
03-08-2009, 08:52 PM
The Broncos need every pick they can get. If anything, they should trade down and get value picks in the second round.

That's what I think too.

Man-Goblin
03-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Dude isn't a nose tackle from what I have heard, and if there is any question about it he's not worth trading up for.

extralife
03-09-2009, 03:09 AM
The Patriot Way is trading picks this year for higher future picks

I think that was a symptom of their success. If you don't have immediate holes to plug, the most value you can get from a pick is to trade it for a pick the next year. We are not in a position to do that. Our equivalent is to trade down because that is how we get value while still accomplishing our goals.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Our equivalent is to trade down because that is how we get value while still accomplishing our goals.

That's fine, but don't call it the Patriot Way because you think that's the equivalent to what they do.

cabronco
03-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm not even sure he's a top ten talent imo, and wouldn't be surprised if he went down to # 12. Maybe some other team below 12 has a woody for him, and takes him.

baja
03-09-2009, 08:59 AM
We can't afford to trade up for anyone... we just have too many needs.

Remember how under Shanahan we all felt we were always one of two key players away from going deep into the playoffs,now that he is gone all posters realize we are in the middle of a serious rebuild. If Shanny were still here would we all be thinking we were just a player or two away?

Archer81
03-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Remember how under Shanahan we all felt we were always one of two key players away from going deep into the playoffs,now that he is gone all posters realize we are in the middle of a serious rebuild. If Shanny were still here would we all be thinking we were just a player or two away?

No, because we all realized the defense had serious issues. Going into last season we thought maybe we have the right mix of people to contend for the division and make a run. I just saw this thing on NFL Network, they did a piece of Shannahan and his QB's, ending with Cutler and his comeback win over Cleveland. Makes me all warm and fuzzy for Jay. I hope he and McD work things out.

Cito Pelon
03-09-2009, 09:16 AM

No.

#12 is a good position. Trading down might be a better idea depending on what kind of offers come up. 9 draft picks is a good thing for the team right now, they should keep them all.

Mogulseeker
03-09-2009, 09:25 AM

I was actually thinking that about Fields, with Raji at NT... but now that I think about it, it would probably be better with Raji at LE.

Cito Pelon
03-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Hey, I heard Bowlen and Shanny went fishing in Cabo and Bowlen was really sloppy drunk cutting bait and cut Shanny by mistake. Did you hear anything about that? The rumor was Shanny didn't even bleed, despite the vicious nature of the cut.

gyldenlove
03-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I was actually thinking that about Fields, with Raji at NT... but now that I think about it, it would probably be better with Raji at LE.

I think he would be good anywhere on the line, you would probably get a little more production from him on the RLE, in a role like Richard Seymour where he gets to put pressure on the passer and work in tandem with the ROLB who will rush as well on many plays.

Raji is just so good that he should be able to fit in anywhere.

Mogulseeker
03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I think he would be good anywhere on the line, you would probably get a little more production from him on the RLE, in a role like Richard Seymour where he gets to put pressure on the passer and work in tandem with the ROLB who will rush as well on many plays.

Raji is just so good that he should be able to fit in anywhere.

A 320 lbs RDE, with fields in the middle and Thomas at LDE? That'd be a monster line. I don't think a line liek that it'self would put a whole lot of pressure on the QB, but it would sure free up Dumervil at ROLB.

I'm actually excited to see what Elvis is capable of from the outside.

What part of Denmark do you live in?

When I was staying with family in Sweden, I spent a week just outside of Copenhagen in a town called Koge. I loved Copenhagen - one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

Peoples Champ
03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
The guy looks pretty legit and amazing, I wouldnt mind doing this. but of coarse there is a cost to it. So I am not sure.