PDA

View Full Version : Just so sad . Legendary wrestler Verne Gagne and a tragic tale

TDmvp
03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Thought this was just so sad ... Alzheimer's has to be just the worst way to lose someone you care for.

Verne Gagne, 82, is a former wrestling champion who has attained folk legend status in Minnesota. And Helmut R. Gutmann, 97, was a former cancer researcher who came to this country after fleeing Hitler's Nazi Germany.

Both have suffered from Alzheimer's-related dementia and had been residing in a Bloomington facility housing people with Alzheimer's and dementia.

In a tragic moment on Jan. 26, Gagne apparently threw Gutmann to the floor. Gutmann was taken to the hospital and died 20 days later.

cont at link ...
http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2009/02/18/6789/legendary_wrestler_verne_gagne_and_a_tragic_tale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verne_Gagne

TheReverend
03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Very sad, but... who?

ayjackson
03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
fcuk don't tell the Baron - he'll hunt down Gagne and give him the claw like he's never had it before!!!

TDmvp
03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
He is just some old timer ... way before my time , and i don't watch wrestling much , but he is a guy who owned a wrestling federation at one point and was the teacher of many guys i have heard of ...

Just seen some documentary on Msnbc a few weeks ago with Gagne in it talking about roids and the lifestyle of the guys who wrestle now ... and then i seen this story today ... pretty crappy ...

theAPAOps5
03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I saw this on the news the other day. Very sad Alzheimer is just a nasty nasty disease. I wonder if he just had a sudden memory falsh or if the guy said something.

MechanicalBull
03-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Might need to send the Hammer after him. He loves to break legs.

http://www.wrestlingzone.ru/images/greg2.jpg

TDmvp
03-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Might need to send the Hammer after him. He loves to break legs.

http://www.wrestlingzone.ru/images/greg2.jpg

boy that is some old stuff there as well , him breaking wahoo's leg was when i was like 5 lol ...

MechanicalBull
03-06-2009, 07:56 PM
boy that is some old stuff there as well , him breaking wahoo's leg was when i was like 5 lol ...

I used to be a huge fan when I was younger when it was good.

ghwk
03-06-2009, 08:23 PM
This is better than the wife beating thread, but not by a whole bunch.

TDmvp
03-06-2009, 08:32 PM
This is better than the wife beating thread, but not by a whole bunch.

opinions are like @ssholes ....

baja
03-06-2009, 08:55 PM
We need video on this.

watermock
03-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I was in the brain damage/respirator wing. Alzheimers was down the hall. My Chief of therapy had a big room there so I saw them every day.

Pick Six
03-06-2009, 11:59 PM
He is to Minnesota what Stu Hart was to Calgary. Gagne trained many wrestlers out of the Minnesota area, including Curt Hennig and Ravishing Rick Rude...

BroncoInferno
03-07-2009, 01:34 AM
He is to Minnesota what Stu Hart was to Calgary. Gagne trained many wrestlers out of the Minnesota area, including Curt Hennig and Ravishing Rick Rude...

Two of the greatest heals of all-time. Also, two guys who dropped dead way too soon.

Verne was a legend, sad to her this news.

MechanicalBull
03-07-2009, 05:21 AM

He also had a hand in pretty much starting Hulkamania before McMahon brought it to a global level.

gunns
03-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Sad to hear this. Like boxing they wonder if he actually has Alzheimers or if it's a result of the poundings his head took. Either way a tragic situation for both families.

Yes he did have a hand in Hulkamania but he didn't initially want to promote Hulk as he didn't see him as a technical wrestler. That's when Hulk went to McMahon. Gagne tried to get the Iron Shiek to break Hulk's leg. He refused and told McMahon and the Hulk and that created Hulkamania.

Paladin
03-07-2009, 01:36 PM
My Grandmother liked to watch Gagne. And the announcer on the Saturday Night Matches was Jack Brickhouse, and the sucker was that big. Killer Kowalski was there about that same time......