PDA

View Full Version : Gals sign Igor

Popps
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Merge if already here.

**** that dude. Glad we didn't sign him.

Popps
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/06/cowboys-sign-olshansky/

The Dallas Cowboys have announced the arrival of defensive end Igor Olshansky.

The former Charger, a second-round pick in 2004, is reunited in Dallas with former San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who now is both the coach and the defensive coordinator of the Cowboys.

A starter since the first game of his rookie year, Olshansky’s departue will take a chunk out of the Chargers defense.

broncofan2438
03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Actually I was kinda hoping we got him....but what do I know?

boltaneer
03-06-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/06/cowboys-sign-olshansky/

A starter since the first game of his rookie year, Olshansky’s departue will take a chunk out of the Chargers defense.

Igor stunk last year. I don't know what happened to the guy but he was completely invisible all season so this isn't taking a "chunk" out of the defense but more like addition by subtraction.

PFT sucks again.

DHallblows
03-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Thank God. They deserve each other..

fontaine
03-06-2009, 06:20 PM
don't we have the Chargers DL coach here? If he didn't want Igor here then I'm glad we didn't get him.

Northman
03-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Merge if already here.

**** that dude. Glad we didn't sign him.

He hates Denver anyway so no love loss for him either.

80smith
03-06-2009, 06:45 PM
don't we have the Chargers DL coach here? If he didn't want Igor here then I'm glad we didn't get him.

Nice post.

broncofan2438
03-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Thats true, disregard my earlier thread

boltaneer
03-06-2009, 08:01 PM
From ESPN:

Igor Olshansky, one of the bigger names available in free agency from a weak AFC West class of unrestricted free agents, is out of the division.

The San Diego defensive lineman has signed with the Dallas Cowboys. Olshansky's departure from San Diego was expected. The team had no intentions of re-signing him.

Olshansky had an underwhelming season in 2008. It has been suggested that certain teammates questioned Olshansky's attitude. Olshansky fits in Dallas because the Cowboys use a similar scheme as the Chargers. Dallas head coach Wade Phillips is familiar with Olshansky from his time in San Diego.

The Chargers may look for defensive line help early in the draft.

All the Igor bashing aside, he might be able to get back to form under Wade. He did pretty well under Wade. There were rumors all year long that teammates were saying he quit on the team. He definitely has the physical tools but he needs the right attitude to make it all work.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Once Merriman was busted for roids, Igor took notice. Not suprisingly his production dropped off accordingly.

boltaneer
03-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Once Merriman was busted for roids, Igor took notice. Not suprisingly his production dropped off accordingly.

I don't think it was a matter of roids. He did step up his play at the very end of the season. He just decided when to turn it on or not last year.

Beantown Bronco
03-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Igor stunk last year. I don't know what happened to the guy but he was completely invisible all season so this isn't taking a "chunk" out of the defense but more like addition by subtraction.

PFT sucks again.

Says a lot about his backup if he wasn't good enough to beat out a guy that completely sucked last year.

boltaneer
03-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Says a lot about his backup if he wasn't good enough to beat out a guy that completely sucked last year.

Jacques Cesaire? Well, that's why he's a backup!

Cesaire has a great motor and is a good team guy but doesn't have anywhere near the physical talent Igor has. He's a good backup rotational guy though.

400HZ
03-06-2009, 10:21 PM

The lack of depth on the Charger's defensive line is disgusting right now. My Chargers mock includes DL with the first two picks and one in the sixth. There are some nice options in the draft. Vonnie Holliday would be a great depth/rotational pickup.

JJJ
03-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Lack of depth? Lack of starters. The shortage of fat boys on both sides of the ball in the last few drafts is the reason this team is starting to slide away.

Cito Pelon
03-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Is Wade finally getting some of 'his guys' in Dallas? Instead of just whomever Jerry wants?

cabronco
03-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Thats exactly what I was thinking. At one time Igor played like a raged lunatic & was successful at making plays, but after Merriman got popped, Igor thought better of it , and now you get the real Igor. Oh well perfect for the Cowgirls. :)

400HZ
03-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Thats exactly what I was thinking. At one time Igor played like a raged lunatic & was successful at making plays, but after Merriman got popped, Igor thought better of it , and now you get the real Igor. Oh well perfect for the Cowgirls. :)

The only time Igor was ever consistantly successful at making plays was when he was set next to Haloti Ngata at Oregon. His strength has never been an issue, the problem is his plodding slow game speed.

boltaneer
03-07-2009, 10:26 AM
The only time Igor was ever consistantly successful at making plays was when he was set next to Haloti Ngata at Oregon. His strength has never been an issue, the problem is his plodding slow game speed.

One could even argue that being sandwiched between Jamal Williams and Merriman is what made Igor look good. Jamal struggled a bit last year and Merriman was absent, thus Igor was the invisible man.

Northman
03-07-2009, 10:33 AM
My how the venom drips when a player leaves. lol

Popps
03-07-2009, 11:13 AM
My how the venom drips when a player leaves. lol

Sometimes, but the real oddity here is that all Cowboys fans that I know are upset about Canty leaving and insist that this is a downgrade for them, and I can't argue.

Northman
03-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Sometimes, but the real oddity here is that all Cowboys fans that I know are upset about Canty leaving and insist that this is a downgrade for them, and I can't argue.

Agreed.

Dudeskey
03-07-2009, 11:51 AM
meh....

400HZ
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM

Canty isn't all that good either, but he's a starting caliber player at least. Igor, based on last year especially, is definitely not. Unfortunately the Chargers didn't have anyone worth putting him on the bench for.