PDA

View Full Version : THIS Would Be Hard to Top

SportinOne
03-06-2009, 08:21 AM
It doesn't look too promising, but we can always hope, right?

http://www.kmbc.com/money/18866748/detail.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Jackson County Executive Mike Sanders said he's concerned the Chiefs and Royals could leave Kansas City because of the city's budget proposal.

Kansas City has an $85 million budget shortfall that has to be fixed by the end of the month.

Thursday, Mayor Mark Funkhouser put forward his plan, which includes eliminating nearly $2 million the city gives each year to the Truman Sports Complex.

"This came with no notice to us. We were unaware that this was even going to be an issue," Sanders said in a KMBZ radio interview. "The money would be the violation. But the fact that we would have violated a substantive provision would mean those leases are now gone We would be on a tightrope or a high wire with no safety net."

Sanders said if the city pulls its $2 million annual contribution, it would break the lease and leave the city with no written guarantee keeping the Royals and Chiefs in Kansas City for the long term.

"The teams would then be, to use the sports phrase, free agents to do whatever they wanted to do. Re-negotiate the deal or to not honor any of the provisions of the lease they did not want to honor," Sanders told KMBC's Martin Augustine.

"I don't think it would jeopardize leases," Funkhouser said. "We're trying to focus on services that directly matter to Kansas Citians. For example, our city services, basic services like police. That is a core function. Operating a sports venue is not."

Sanders said he believes the issue will eventually be worked out. He called the Royals and Chiefs "good civic partners."

A Royals representative said team officials are just learning about the issue, and it's too early to comment.

KMBC was unable to get a comment from a Chiefs representative.

Rohirrim
03-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Talk about meltdowns. Things don't look too good in Camaroland.

Sanders said if the city pulls its $2 million annual contribution, it would break the lease and leave the city with no written guarantee keeping the Royals and Chiefs in Kansas City for the long term.

http://www.kmbc.com/money/18866748/detail.html

Mogulseeker
03-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Kroenke should buy them and bring them to the Springs.

theAPAOps5
03-06-2009, 08:27 AM
That sucks for KC fans. As much as I hate them that would suck if they were to leave.

HEAV
03-06-2009, 08:28 AM
That would suck for Chef-fan. Not sure if they care about the Royals that much. But football leaving would be a huge blow.

ohiobronco2
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
That sucks for KC fans. As much as I hate them that would suck if they were to leave.

Exactly. Would put a damper on the rivalry.

Rohirrim
03-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Los Angeles Chiefs?

Meck77
03-06-2009, 08:33 AM
I have little doubt a shake up in the NFL is coming.

bronco militia
03-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I don't think they'd find too many cities right now that would be willing to make that kind of investment.

At least I'd hope so...the last thing your local government should be worried about are pro sports.

dumpy
03-06-2009, 08:35 AM
That would suck for Chef-fan. Not sure if they care about the Royals that much. But football leaving would be a huge blow.

It's not that they would leave the area (I don't think). There would be a fight from the Kansas City, KS side. They built the speedway there and everything is starting to boom. I think it would be a fight between the two states. I know there was talk earlier about KCK trying to lure one of the teams over the state line.

Old Dude
03-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I thought that a Missouri group just came up with a couple million to finance a Chiefs training camp around S. Joseph last month.

UberBroncoMan
03-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Los Angeles Chiefs?

It would be the Los Angeles Amigos there.

bronco militia
03-06-2009, 08:41 AM
It would be the Los Angeles Amigos there.

ole!

Broncoman13
03-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Are you saying that you'd like to see the Chefs leave KC? If so, WHY??? KC and the Chiefs go together. I like to root against them, but they are amongst the best football fans and tailgaters in all the land. Why would you take that away or wish for it to be taken away? It's not like SD when they only root one or two years out of a decade, rarely sell out otherwise and typically have a 1:3 ratio of Vistor:Home fans. We're talking about KC as franchise that rivals the Broncos in terms of fan support and history.

bronco militia
03-06-2009, 08:52 AM
up

dbfan4life
03-06-2009, 08:57 AM
It's not that they would leave the area (I don't think). There would be a fight from the Kansas City, KS side. They built the speedway there and everything is starting to boom. I think it would be a fight between the two states. I know there was talk earlier about KCK trying to lure one of the teams over the state line.

So they built a race track to watch guys drive round and round but the city withdrew its investment in the Chiefs. Redneck logic for ya.

Chris
03-06-2009, 08:57 AM
The LA Botox. Huh? ...huh?

Old Dude
03-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Merged.

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I can see the Royals leaving for greener pastures, but not the chefs. If the city and the people had to choose one to keep, it'd be the chefs.

The Royals have been posturing for a long time that they are not happy. Plus, didn't they just try to do some renovations to their park and it was voted down by civic leaders?

I can see the Royals moving to lets say, Portland? How about San Antonio? Heck, why not the Oklahoma City Royals? The Las Vegas Royals?

sisterhellfyre
03-06-2009, 10:24 AM
I can see the Royals moving to lets say, Portland? How about San Antonio? Heck, why not the Oklahoma City Royals? The Las Vegas Royals?

Sorry, Tombstone, but Portland doesn't have any facilities large enough for the NFL or major-league baseball. Our biggest field is PGE Park, which seats only 19 to 22,000. We had a USFL team for just about a year (the Portland Breakers, but I think they moved here from New Orleans), but that's been the only "major" league activity around here aside from occasional exhibition games.

There hasn't been a serious proposal or initiative to build a major-league stadium or ballpark of any kind since the late 60s or early 70s, when Oregon voters turned down what would have been called the "Delta Dome" (named after the Delta Park area, where it would have been built). Seattle built the Kingdome not long after, et voila: the Seahawks & Mariners.

I've often thought it was just too bad Portland doesn't have major league facilities. A good sports rivalry between Seattle & Portland would just be *too* much fun, especially because we're only about 3 hours apart on I-5. The potential is there, as the rivalry between the Trailblazers and Supersonics was hot, way back when. The Northwest version of Pittsburgh vs Philly.... but now the Sonics are gone, too. [sigh]

Regards,
m.

dumpy
03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I can see the Royals leaving for greener pastures, but not the chefs. If the city and the people had to choose one to keep, it'd be the chefs.

The Royals have been posturing for a long time that they are not happy. Plus, didn't they just try to do some renovations to their park and it was voted down by civic leaders?

Actually the renovations passed and Kaufmann Stadium is currently ripped apart and they are hurrying to finish before opening day. The stadium is going to look nice. Too bad its in a horrible location in the city.

ScottXray
03-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Sorry, Tombstone, but Portland doesn't have any facilities large enough for the NFL or major-league baseball. Our biggest field is PGE Park, which seats only 19 to 22,000. We had a USFL team for just about a year (the Portland Breakers, but I think they moved here from New Orleans), but that's been the only "major" league activity around here aside from occasional exhibition games.

There hasn't been a serious proposal or initiative to build a major-league stadium or ballpark of any kind since the late 60s or early 70s, when Oregon voters turned down what would have been called the "Delta Dome" (named after the Delta Park area, where it would have been built). Seattle built the Kingdome not long after, et voila: the Seahawks & Mariners.

I've often thought it was just too bad Portland doesn't have major league facilities. A good sports rivalry between Seattle & Portland would just be *too* much fun, especially because we're only about 3 hours apart on I-5. The potential is there, as the rivalry between the Trailblazers and Supersonics was hot, way back when. The Northwest version of Pittsburgh vs Philly.... but now the Sonics are gone, too. [sigh]

Regards,
m.

Agreed sister. However, every time they talk about building a new facility they always want to site it somewhere downtown, where there's no parking room, no space to build without paying premium prices, etc. In reality the stadium should be somewhere inthe Metro area (including between Salem and Portland) where the land is cheaper and there is room for parking.

I've always thought that Portland isn't really a SPORTS town much, but feel they would support an NFL franchise, due to the limited number of games played....Every other sport has 80+ games a year, and there just aren't that many people that want to shell out for season tickets when it gets so expensive. NFl tickets aren't cheap...but there aren't so many to buy.

Probably never happen....unless they manage to get the taxpayers to shell out for a new stadium...

Kid A
03-06-2009, 11:11 AM

This is the "moving" scenario that makes the most sense. First off, given the money invested in renovations of Arrowhead and Kaufman, I don't see this incident actually leading to either team leaving town. The city simply would never let the teams leave, even the usually woeful Royals. They would find a way.

Long term, that way may very well be jumping the border to the Kansas side: there's more money in that area and development has been growing at an incredible rate in the last decade.

Anyway, I hate the Chiefs and (somehow) love the Royals, but it would be a sad day if either had to leave KC. As much as I make fun of the city I grew up in, they deserve to keep their teams.

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Actually the renovations passed and Kaufmann Stadium is currently ripped apart and they are hurrying to finish before opening day. The stadium is going to look nice. Too bad its in a horrible location in the city.

My bad, I thought that got shot down. Still, I don't see the chefs leaving KC.

ZONA
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I want the Chiefs to stay right where they are. The last thing we want is a new city with lots of money to spark things up for them. Keep them in KC, keep them poor, keep them crappy. :approve:

Kaylore
03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
They can move. It would feel weird, but they technically started in Dallas anyway. Tough times are ahead. Obama will fix it though.:mullet1:

Bob's your Information Minister
03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Never happen.