PDA

View Full Version : Broncos not expected to extend Marshall's contract

UberBroncoMan
03-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Brandon Marshall - WR Mar. 6 - 9:42 am et

The Broncos are not expected to pursue extending Brandon Marshall's contract pending the NFL's review of his latest arrest. Denver probably would've been aggressive had Marshall showed maturity this offseason, but instead he'll play 2009 at his current $2.198M salary. He'd be a restricted free agent in 2010 if the league goes to an uncapped year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=den

Way to go Marshall! You probably just cost yourself $4-5 million this year.

This guy needs to just go gay until he retires... then again he'd probably get in trouble over that too, even if it was a "misunderstanding." He simply can't handle relationships, being in public, going outside, etc without eventually making a stupid mistake that ends up getting the law involved. This is a serious sign that we may very well franchise and trade Marshall next year assuming it's not uncapped and he stays a restricted FA.

Dukes
03-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Shanny would still pay him, doesn't surprise me that McD will not.

Meck77
03-06-2009, 07:56 AM
He'll probably end up having to fight off the fiance again once he gets hammered on the next contract. Here is Brandons first mistake. Getting serious at 25.

HILife
03-06-2009, 07:58 AM

The Broncos are not expected to pursue extending Brandon Marshall's contract pending the NFL's review of his latest arrest. Denver probably would've been aggressive had Marshall showed maturity this offseason, but instead he'll play 2009 at his current $2.198M salary. He'd be a restricted free agent in 2010 if the league goes to an uncapped year.

This guy needs to just go gay until he retires... then again he'd probably get in trouble over that too, even if it was a "misunderstanding." He simply can't handle relationships, being in public, going outside, etc without eventually making a stupid mistake that ends up getting the law involved. This is a serious sign that we may very well franchise and trade Marshall next year assuming it's not uncapped and he stays a restricted FA.

Wow! That completely changes up the possible draft picks at #12. I would not be suprised at all to see a WR picked at #12 now.

socalorado
just franchise him next year and then trade him.

Broncoman13
Meh, what do you expect the Broncos to do. Brandon Marshall wears out by the end of the season and his play drops significantly... and he's always in trouble. Too bad he got in trouble already, would have been nice to trade him for a early pick to get someone like Heyward-bey, Nicks, Harvin, or Maclin. Oh well.

HILife
03-06-2009, 08:00 AM

Did they every say what the arrest was about? Another domestic violence?

theAPAOps5
03-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Did they every say what the arrest was about? Another domestic violence?

He and his fiance were observed by cops kicking and hitting eachother outside his condo in Atlanta. They were both arrested for disturbing the peace but released and charges dropped after both refused to press any charges.

supermanhr9
03-06-2009, 08:03 AM
bring on Maclin that'd be sweet, I'm off the whole B-Marsh bandwagon. I hate it when there are so many people (like all of us) who have to work our asses off for an entire year to make what these guys make in one game, and all they have to do is play football and stay out of trouble... how hard is it??? I'm not trying to start the whole "we over pay our athletes" talk, but just stay out of trouble!

Eddie Royal is the truth!

HILife
03-06-2009, 08:04 AM
He and his fiance were observed by cops kicking and hitting eachother outside his condo in Atlanta. They were both arrested for disturbing the peace but released and charges dropped after both refused to press any charges.

I agree with the earlier post he should just move to Cali, turn gay and be done with it.

Edit: or at the very least go to marriage consuling.

Dukes
03-06-2009, 08:06 AM
I agree with the earlier post he should just be gay, move to Cali and be done with it.

I don't think it matters where he lives, he brings the trouble with him.

bronco militia
03-06-2009, 08:09 AM
you need to read the entire article at the DPO

Marshall becomes a victim of the NFL labor disagreement. Because the collective- bargaining agreement has been reopened, Marshall as a fourth-year player will only be eligible for restricted free agency after this season instead of unrestricted free agency, when he can sell himself to the highest bidder.

http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_11848427?source=rss

bronco militia
03-06-2009, 08:11 AM
this is just more speculation from Klis

TheReverend
03-06-2009, 08:13 AM

Lost money this year, but will probably end up making an extra boat load in the long term if this deal holds up another season.

UberBroncoMan
03-06-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't think it matters where he lives, he brings the trouble with him.

Almost all of his law issues have been in Atlanta... He just needs to lock himself in a basement and play MMO's, work out, eat, and sleep all off-season long.

crazyhorse
03-06-2009, 08:15 AM

That's what I dont get. If they were observed by police then the state should press charges. Even if they dont want to press charges against each other for domestic violence. For the state to observe a crime, arrest them for it, then not press charges seems odd.

SoDak Bronco
03-06-2009, 08:17 AM
just franchise him next year and then trade him.

Since he will be a RFA - restricted free agent, we won't need to Franchise him. We can designate him with the highest tender for a RFA and he will make according the DP 2.5 million (Franchise we'd have to pay 10 million plus). If someone signs him, we'd get a two first round picks, or we could just match the offer.

He really screwed himself, and if I were the Broncos, I would wait as an insurance policy to sign him to a big contract.

Dukes
Almost all of his law issues have been in Atlanta... He just needs to lock himself in a basement and play MMO's, work out, eat, and sleep all off-season long.

I thought his first and second arrests were in Denver, not positive on that though.

Mogulseeker
His value will be to low to tarde him. Marshall will be Bronco, but he'll be making a whole lot less than he could be making.

UberBroncoMan
03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
I thought his first and second arrests were in Denver, not positive on that though.

I think his DUI was here... maybe his abuse was too, but the chick was from Atlanta... so many law issues it's hard to keep track! LOL

dbfan4life
03-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Here's what I don't understand about this. If the were observed by police officers, why aren't there charges filed? Why do you need testimony of the other person if THE POLICE SAW YOU DO IT? It doesn't make sense in my mind at all. Not making excuses for the guy, just saying.

Dedhed
03-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Of course they aren't going to extend him right now. He's due to be a RFA, and he's proven once again that he needs to grow up. We'll tender him next year and match any offer that comes in, which will likely still be below his on field value. Then we have at least 2 years from today to see if he blows the opportunity yet again.

socalorado
03-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Since he will be a RFA - restricted free agent, we won't need to Franchise him. We can designate him with the highest tender for a RFA and he will make according the DP 2.5 million (Franchise we'd have to pay 10 million plus). If someone signs him, we'd get a two first round picks, or we could just match the offer.

He really screwed himself, and if I were the Broncos, I would wait as an insurance policy to sign him to a big contract.

YEs do it. There will be a desperate team out there.

ohiobronco2
03-06-2009, 08:28 AM
This pisses me off. Guy has a ton of potential, but can't stay out of trouble. Bob has lived all of these years without women. Come on Brandon, you can do it. :~ohyah!:

gyldenlove
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Here's what I don't understand about this. If the were observed by police officers, why aren't there charges filed? Why do you need testimony of the other person if THE POLICE SAW YOU DO IT? It doesn't make sense in my mind at all. Not making excuses for the guy, just saying.

Because if you go to court and the "victim" says nothing happened, you are almost certain to hear those magic words, if there is no victim, there can be no crime.

There is no reason to waste tax payer money and prosecution time trying to piece together a case. The problem here is that even though the officers saw the couple hitting and kicking each other, they can't say for sure if one of them was acting in self defense. Since that goes both ways, there will be reasonable doubt in both cases.

Dedhed
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I think the issue was that the police may have blown what they saw out of proportion, or simply not seen what they said they saw.

With the swiftness that the case was dismissed, the actions of the police were clearly over zealous. Dare I say it wouldn't be the first time a couple of cops got a little trigger happy?

theAPAOps5
03-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Because in an assault case one party needs to press charges against the other, I think.

gyldenlove
03-06-2009, 08:31 AM
I said it before the offseason, the Broncos would work on a contract and make it contingent on Marshall staying out of trouble all summer long before commiting. They were working on a deal, but since Marshall got on trouble it is off. Given that he is effectively under contract for another 2 years, and that the 2011 season will probably not start on time, we have plenty of time to see if Marshall can behave before we commit to him.

Broncos_OTM
03-06-2009, 08:31 AM

I could be wrong but there are levals to RFA low tender = origonal draft choice where he was selected mid leval 2nd round and high which is a first if not matched

Broncos_OTM
03-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Because in an assault case one party needs to press charges against the other, I think.

Not in colorado the state picks up the charges if they are called. i had a buddy at work his wife called the cops because he threw a phone at her. they put a arrest warrant out. and he was charged she tried to get the charges dropped but the state picks them up. that i am certain. although i dont know Georgia law on this one

oubronco
03-06-2009, 08:33 AM
they have his number in Hotlanta he needs to get the hell outta there pronto

theAPAOps5
03-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Not in colorado the state picks up the charges if they are called. i had a buddy at work his wife called the cops because he threw a phone at her. they put a arrest warrant out. and he was charged she tried to get the charges dropped but the state picks them up. that i am certain

This was in Atlanta, may be different rules. Also it might have been a slap fest with not real bodily harm inflicted.

Broncos_OTM
03-06-2009, 08:34 AM
This was in Atlanta, may be different rules. Also it might have been a slap fest with not real bodily harm inflicted.

any dude that slaps a lady wether she hits him first or not is a ****ing pussy and deserves to go to jail JMO though

Beantown Bronco
03-06-2009, 08:36 AM

:slapsilly

no-pseudo-fan
03-06-2009, 08:39 AM
He was not booked on assault or domestic violence. They both were brought in for disturbing the peace, and charges were dropped the next day.

bamanjam
03-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Not in domestic situation...

Broncoman13
03-06-2009, 08:46 AM
:slapsilly

Which one is Chris Simms and which one is Kyle Shanahan? BFFL

MrPappagiorgio
03-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Not in colorado the state picks up the charges if they are called. i had a buddy at work his wife called the cops because he threw a phone at her. they put a arrest warrant out. and he was charged she tried to get the charges dropped but the state picks them up. that i am certain. although i dont know Georgia law on this one

Thats the deal. Each state has there own laws. Who knows what Georgia law is.

theAPAOps5
03-06-2009, 08:48 AM
any dude that slaps a lady wether she hits him first or not is a ****ing p***Y and deserves to go to jail JMO though

I didn't say I agreed with it. I am saying if the level of severity was low they might not press charges.

theAPAOps5
03-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Not in domestic situation...

Well then you better call the Atlanta police and tell them they are wrong. Because they arrested Marshall and his Fiance after observing them punching and kicking eachother. But realeased them after they refused to press charges on eachother. Now hurry go tell them they are wrong.......

bowtown
03-06-2009, 08:51 AM
He was not booked on assault or domestic violence. They both were brought in for disturbing the peace, and charges were dropped the next day.

It's like being stuck on a deserted island and screaming out to a vast ocean of blue. Doesn't matter how much you do it or how loud, no one here is going to hear you.

dbfan4life
03-06-2009, 08:54 AM
any dude that slaps a lady wether she hits him first or not is a ****ing p***Y and deserves to go to jail JMO though

I agree. But did that really happen? Again, if they cops saw it happen, then charges should have stuck. But, let's go ahead and label the dude a wife beater. It sounds like the easy thing to do.

GreatBronco16
03-06-2009, 08:59 AM

Sorry, but if a woman puts herself in a mans position by hitting him for no reason, then she deserves to get knocked the **** out.

oubronco
03-06-2009, 09:00 AM

yea he's supposed to stand there and just let her beat the shyt out of him ::)

Hercules Rockefeller
03-06-2009, 09:08 AM
you need to read the entire article at the DPO

Marshall becomes a victim of the NFL labor disagreement. Because the collective- bargaining agreement has been reopened, Marshall as a fourth-year player will only be eligible for restricted free agency after this season instead of unrestricted free agency, when he can sell himself to the highest bidder.

http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_11848427?source=rss

Whoa, back up there boss. You mean it's better to read an entire article to understand what's being reported, rather than reading a blurb from PFT, KFFL, Rotoworld, or any other site that does exactly 0 reporting of their own? Reading multiple paragraphs and coming to my own conclusion is FTL.

bowtown
03-06-2009, 09:11 AM

LOL I didn't realize that he was engaged to Laila Ali.

eddie mac
03-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Another ****ty thread title that in no way whatsoever represents the content of the article.

Title should read.

Broncos not prepared to extend Marshall's contract until NFL make decision about his recent arrest and the consequences.

Which is pretty ****ing reasonable IMO, why on earth would they extend a guy who may miss 1/2 of the 2009 season???

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
All I can say for BMarsh is I hope she's good in bed. 'Cause his azz just lost alot of money on her behalf.

BMarsh is a friggen idiot, plain and simple. It's best to let him become a RFA and then get as much as possible in a trade for him.

As for this draft, as others have mentioned, I would not be suprise if the Broncos take a WR with the 12th pick.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Yeah, there's something very strange about the arrest. If cops saw them "punching and kicking" eachother on the street, they wouldn't just drop the charges. Plus, neither needed medical attention or had any sorts of marks or bruises, right? Maybe they were just playing a spirited game of slap and tickle!

Re: his contract. That's fine, dont extend him now. You dont have to. You pretty much control his rights for another 2 seasons. If after 2 seasons he's still playing at a high level and has stayed out of trouble, extend him then.

And for those of you who simply think we can just replace him with a number one draft pick this year, you have very short memories. Brandon Marshall is a BEAST and i know a lot of you complain about him because he drops a ball here and there, but he's had two consecutive seasons of catching 100 balls. He's big, dynamic, and has made some real clutch catches. For those of you who would get rid of him and reach for Heyward-Bay or Percy Harvin, there's a reason you don't have a job in the NFL.

ZONA
03-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Brandon Marshall is a phuuukking Idiot. I love when he makes plays and when I watch the TV, I'm always yelling "hell yeah, go go go, nice TD you phuuukking moron".........lol

:pimp:

UberBroncoMan
03-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Another ****ty thread title that in no way whatsoever represents the content of the article.

Title should read.

Broncos not prepared to extend Marshall's contract until NFL make decision about his recent arrest and the consequences.

Which is pretty ****ing reasonable IMO, why on earth would they extend a guy who may miss 1/2 of the 2009 season???

I'm not going to write a long ass title when what I have explains it enough for people to go into the thread and read what was posted lol.

OBF1
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Why don't these women just listen to Brandon. I'm sure he hates having to whip their ass, but....

DenverBroncosJM
03-06-2009, 09:55 AM

Great way to perpetrate what is wrong with SOME women today. Women in the media (movies, TV), upbringing and people like you have allowed them to think they have carte blanche when a man upsets them that they can hit him because he is bigger.

If a woman needs to resort to violence why shouldn’t a man defend himself? There are plenty of guys out there the SAME size as a woman you mean to tell me if he slugged you, you would just walk away? Or is it ok to hit him because he has a member? I guarantee you if a little woman got mad at a 6'5" man and hit him because "he isn’t supposed to defend himself" she wouldn’t pull that **** with a 6'5" woman...know why? She would get knocked out.

Women have begged pleaded and clawed for equal rights...guess what they are here. We almost had a woman president. Everyone is equal white, black, yellow, woman, man. So best believe if a woman strikes me I am going to defend myself.

DenverBroncosJM
03-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Great way to perpetrate what is wrong with SOME women today. Women in the media (movies, TV), upbringing and people like you have allowed them to think they have carte blanche when a man upsets them that they can hit him because he is bigger.

If a woman needs to resort to violence why shouldn’t a man defend himself? There are plenty of guys out there the SAME size as a woman you mean to tell me if he slugged you, you would just walk away? Or is it ok to hit him because he has a member? I guarantee you if a little woman got mad at a 6'5" man and hit him because "he isn’t supposed to defend himself" she wouldn’t pull that **** with a 6'5" woman...know why? She would get knocked out.

Women have begged pleaded and clawed for equal rights...guess what they are here. We almost had a woman president. Everyone is equal white, black, yellow, woman, man. So best believe if a woman strikes me I am going to defend myself.

qouted the wrong guy but oh well sorry oubronco!

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2009, 10:03 AM

Good luck with that. Fact is, no court is gonna believe you or give you the benefit of the doubt. She'll file charges against you and your gonna pay the consequences, regardless of the circumstances.

It's crazy how the law protects "victoms" by presuming guilt on the male party when it comes to domestic abuse. Yes, men have abused women in the past and many, many women are indeed victoms. But alot of those women are idiots who stay in abusive relationships, accepting no personal responsibility for themselves. Case and point: BMarsh and his college g-friend.

:peace:

DenverBroncosJM
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Good luck with that. Fact is, no court is gonna believe you or give you the benefit of the doubt. She'll file charges against you and your gonna pay the consequences, regardless of the circumstances.

It's crazy how the law protects "victoms" by presuming guilt on the male party when it comes to domestic abuse. Yes, men have abused women in the past and many, many women are indeed victoms. But alot of those women are idiots who stay in abusive relationships, accepting no personal responsibility for themselves. Case and point: BMarsh and his college g-friend.

Ohh your correct. I would be the one going down in flames if it happened.

skpac1001
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM

I think men in general don't need to hit women back to defend themselves unless they have a weapon. Its not like this girl is a stranger either. I don't think I could hit my mother, sister, wife\fiancee or daughter no matter how much they hit me. Restrain them, yes. Attempt to hurt them, no.

As far as carte blanche goes, you can and should send a girl to jail for hitting you as much as she could if you hit her.

Popps
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Great way to perpetrate what is wrong with SOME women today. Women in the media (movies, TV), upbringing and people like you have allowed them to think they have carte blanche when a man upsets them that they can hit him because he is bigger..

Women who strike men are very rare and if you run across one, you get the **** out of dodge, immediately.

I can't imagine what kind of altercation these two idiots must have been engaged in to have to have police in public get involved.

The only good news about his latest ****-up is the people clinging on his nuts have let go. I'm no longer having to argue with people around here about whether or not this guy is bad for team chemistry. The answer is obvious, as it should have been to anyone from the beginning.

gyldenlove
03-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I think men in general don't need to hit women back to defend themselves unless they have a weapon. Its not like this girl is a stranger either. I don't think I could hit my mother, sister, wife\fiancee or daughter no matter how much they hit me. Restrain them, yes. Attempt to hurt them, no.

How do you restrain people without force?

gyldenlove
03-06-2009, 10:37 AM

That is actually not entirely true as Brandon Marshall is a good example of. His now crazy ex tried to press charges last year but they got dropped.

In general though domestic laws often favour the woman, it is the same in custody cases where custody is always awarded to the mother in toss-up situations. The mother has to be unfit or the father has to be in a much superior position to care for the children to win custody.

skpac1001
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
How do you restrain people without force?

Obviously it is impossible. If my 12 year old kicks me then I am using deadly force to respond, since there is no real distinction between appropriate levels of force.

TheReverend
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Women who strike men are very rare and if you run across one, you get the **** out of dodge, immediately.

I can't imagine what kind of altercation these two idiots must have been engaged in to have to have police in public get involved.

The only good news about his latest ****-up is the people clinging on his nuts have let go. I'm no longer having to argue with people around here about whether or not this guy is bad for team chemistry. The answer is obvious, as it should have been to anyone from the beginning.

I'm not sure "team chemistry" is the term you're looking for, popps...

Popps
03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure "team chemistry" is the term you're looking for, popps...

O.K... take away chemistry.

How about just bad for team.

Or, how about just bad.

I don't care if he leaves Denver and goes to 10 Pro Bowls. This guy can go **** himself. Get me a roster full of Smith/Eddie/Sharpe-type receivers in here again.

Time to clean out the riff-raff, boys.

BroncoMan4ever
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
i am just thinking they will put off signing him long term for awhile. i doubt this means the end for Marshall in Denver.

tsiguy96
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
i am just thinking they will put off signing him long term for awhile. i doubt this means the end for Marshall in Denver.

thats basically what it says. marshall gets in trouble for the stupidest stuff too. to even put him in the same category as pacman or tank johnson is ridiculous.

Bronx33
03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Not suprising and brandon can say his fight with his old lady cost him 60 mil, brandon has nobody to blame but himself he has made himself a liability in his short NFL career. I was in brandons corner until now ( but iam done)