PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU at 12

SouthStndJunkie
03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
I am starting to like the idea of Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU with our 12th pick.

A little over 6'4 at 296 pounds and would be a perfect power end in the 3-4.

Powerful and smart player. He may never be a dynamic pass rusher....but we don't need that out of the power end in our defense. High character and a team leader....a Belichick kind of player.

31.5 TFL in his career with 19.5 sacks.

Here are a few highlights from 2008:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5MeTrQ124Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5MeTrQ124Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SouthStndJunkie
03-05-2009, 11:13 PM
What do you guys think?

It fills a big need and I consider it a pretty low risk pick.

montrose
03-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I'd have no issue with it. Some might consider him a "reach", but I see a guy who can become a constant on our DL for the next 6-7 years.

SouthStndJunkie
03-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd have no issue with it. Some might consider him a "reach", but I see a guy who can become a constant on our DL for the next 6-7 years.

I see him as a solid pick....12 may be a little high....but it sure beats reaching for a player like Jarvis Moss.

Arkie
03-05-2009, 11:32 PM
I think he would be a reach for the 4-3 teams behind Denver (so we could trade back a little), but then San Diego may draft him at 16.

worm
03-05-2009, 11:42 PM
I could see the Saints draft him to play inside with Ellis in the 4-3 at #14.

Dude seems to be a decent fit for a 3-4 or 4-3. Would be a good hybrid player.

I wouldn't be upset if Denver selected him.

FireFly
03-06-2009, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't be upset with this... but neither would I be over-joyed. A solid if not spectacular choice at 12 imo.

OBF1
03-06-2009, 12:27 AM
I have been pimping Tyson for weeks now. I think he would be the answer at "DE" in the 3-4

bpc
03-06-2009, 12:27 AM
I've liked Jackson for a long time. There isn't anything sexy about this pick but he would be a big cog in helping us play the 3-4. He's a ready made contributor to the NFL and its hard to say that about a lot of defensive linemen entering the draft.

SouthStndJunkie
03-06-2009, 12:57 AM
I have thought that Tyson Jackson was a good player for a while....but never really thought about him at 12 until lately.

It is looking like we are not going to go out and sign a DE like Igor Olshansky in free agency. A NT would be nice in round one....but B.J. Raji will be long gone. This pick fits a huge need and is about as a safe a pick as Denver could make.

It is the kind of pick New England would make.

chaz
03-06-2009, 01:20 AM
I think Tyson is a very safe pick, who fills a big need. I actually just put this together in another thread earlier tonight:

What would you all think of this?-

12-Tyson Jackson DE LSU

Not flashy but big, solid and ready to contribute along DL

48-Sean Smith CB/S Utah (or Delmas if Smith is gone-one should be there)

Versatile ballhawk would be welcomed in the secondary.

79-Jasper Brinkley MLB S. Carolina

Big MLB made for 3-4...stock is rising as he continues to show he's back.

101-Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman

May seem higher than some have him going, but I actually think he might even reach the first day... 6'4" 330lb. NT prospect from a small school is worth the risk in my eyes. I don't see the 4th as a reach considering how critical the position is.

110-Antoine Caldwell C 'Bama

Athletic C who could develop behind Wiegs and then anchor the line.

beyond that i don't pretend to know enough to make the decisions...

what do you think of that?

Elway777
03-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Trade down with another team pickup a second rounder then draft him. If Brown and Raji are both gone.

elsid13
03-06-2009, 05:43 AM
I think Jackson is safe pick, but at #12 I want some that potential to be great. I am almost willing hoping they decide to go with Jarron Gilbert. It a reach at 12, but he reminds me a lot of Pryce or Seymor.

brncs_fan
03-06-2009, 06:25 AM
He plays well but in the running plays that I saw in the youtube clip he lacks that "pop" on the backs as he is bringing them down. I hate watching RB's run through arm tackles from the D-linemen.

Is this a common problem for him or is it just a couple mistakes on his part?

Rohirrim
03-06-2009, 06:38 AM
I am totally committed to the idea that the Broncos have to go with one of the top LBs with that first pick. I really hope that's what happens (unless Raji is there, which I highly doubt). I don't agree with using that high of a pick on a guy that would essentially be a run stuffer.

ludo21
03-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Reminds me a lot of a Seymour type of guy. I wouldnt mind that at all.

To me at #12 Id take:
Cushing
Jackson
Brown
Rey Rey
Jenkins

Any of those I would be ok with.

elsid13
03-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Reminds me a lot of a Seymour type of guy. I wouldnt mind that at all.

To me at #12 Id take:
Cushing
Jackson
Brown
Rey Rey
Jenkins

Any of those I would be ok with.

I think more of Jarvis Green (DE PATS) then Seymour. Seymour is more explosive off the line and plays with better leverage.

ludo21
03-06-2009, 06:55 AM
I think more of Jarvis Green (DE PATS) then Seymour. Seymour is more explosive off the line and plays with better leverage.

Seymour is way more talented, I agree there. But I think Tyson has that kind of ability.

elsid13
03-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Seymour is way more talented, I agree there. But I think Tyson has that kind of ability.

I just don't see it. I think he good solid DE, but not a difference maker. When you watch the video you see him playing against RTs that aren't going to make the NFL. He would be solid pick but is he any better then Thomas or Peterson for holding up blockers?

barryr
03-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Jackson would fit well at DE in a 3-4 since he has the size needed.

I think the Broncos need to draft someone, anyone that can get pressure on the QB.

I think they could get a NT in the 2nd round or even 3rd round. They need a NT that can take on double teams with good size, but that NT probably won't be a guy that does much in the passing game.

The Broncos have to get someone who teams have to worry about getting to the QB, preferably at least 2 guys. You can't be successful on defense if you can't get to the QB and that's the biggest need.

nickademus
03-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I like jackson but I think it is going to depend on who else we bring in via FA. If we sigh Olchansky then I suspect that we will be going with a LB in the first. but if not I would like Jackson. I do like Sammie Lee Hill in the fourth seems like a good NT prospect dominated at his level of play.

ludo21
03-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I just don't see it. I think he good solid DE, but not a difference maker. When you watch the video you see him playing against RTs that aren't going to make the NFL. He would be solid pick but is he any better then Thomas or Peterson for holding up blockers?

True that.

I am optimistic with him.. Maybe we can comapre him to Spears from the Cowboys?

eddie mac
03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Probably the best run defender in the draft. I like Jackson a lot but dont be expecting any kind of pass rush from him. If we're using the 12 pick on him we better hope we can pick up some outside rush from later picks or indeed Moss/Dumervil come through at OLB.

BroncoInferno
03-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I'd be OK with Jackson, but I'd really rather have someone who can help us out with the pass rush.

Elway777
03-10-2009, 03:05 PM
The Broncos trade down with Phillidelphia for their first and second. The Broncos also sign Jason Taylor to a 2 year deal.

1. Tyson Jackson, The broncos trade down and still get the best De for the 3-4. If Jackson is gone then Rey Rey should be their at 21.

2a. Conner Barwin ,Ideal fit to play the Sam in Nolan scheme.He should spit time with Boss Bailey and Jarvis Moss.

2b Donald Brown, I love this guy Work ethic and ability to get the most out of every play.

3. Chis Baker, Mean and Nasty and could make a good Nose Tackle. Chacter concerns should drop him in draft. At 6-2 and 320 has good size for nose tackle. Baker biggest concern is he could go Bi-polar and kill everybody on the team.

4. David Burton, Had a 41 inch verticle plus a 4.44 fourty time with alot of upside.

5a Jason Williams. Ran a 4.48 fourty on pro day plus forced over 14 fumbles the last 2 years plus is a good blitzer. Could backup at Sam and Rush linebacker.
5b Terrance Knighton ,Insurance policy if Baker cann't handle Nose tackle or fits in a De better. 6-3 325 has good size plus great production
6a Lardarius Webb, Small school Sleeper corner that can return Kicks. One of the fastest times at combine for defensive back.
7a. Brannon Sutherland, Broncos get a true Fullback to back up Hillis.
7b Dominnque Edison , good size at 6-2 and 210 pounds plus showed good speed at 4.45 and had 18 touchdown catches last year.
7b

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2009, 04:27 PM
I think he would be a reach for the 4-3 teams behind Denver (so we could trade back a little), but then San Diego may draft him at 16.

i'm Banking on Wells or Moreno to SD at 16.