PDA

View Full Version : Another Cutlergate article: Marvez --Broncos Blew It With Jay Cutler Blunder

s0phr0syne
03-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Didn't see the article posted, and since I don't agree with the stance that montrose, Kaylore, Apo, etc have taken with McD on this issue, I thought I'd post it :P:thanku:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9288268/Broncos-blew-it-with-Jay-Cutler-blunder

Broncos blew it with Jay Cutler blunder

by Alex Marvez

Is it too late for Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen to re-hire Mike Shanahan?
After the recent controversy involving quarterback Jay Cutler, the thought should have crossed Bowlen's mind.

I'm not saying that Bowlen's December dismissal of Shanahan after 14 seasons was unjustified. The shine from two Lombardi Trophies won in the 1990s had faded as the Broncos were completing a decade-long stretch of postseason failure.

But if he were still head coach and de facto general manager, I feel confident in this: Shanahan wouldn't have handled the Cutler situation in the same disastrous fashion as replacements Josh McDaniels and Brian Xanders

Wanting to trade Cutler as part of a three-way deal with Tampa Bay for New England quarterback Matt Cassel was a shaky enough proposition for Denver's new brain trust. Not being prepared to defuse the fallout from an unsuccessful bid was inexcusable after Cassel was instead shipped last Saturday to Kansas City.

While jettisoning a young Pro Bowl quarterback like Cutler seemingly makes little sense, I can understand if McDaniels wanted to begin his head coaching career with the same rising star he groomed as New England's offensive coordinator. There is a comfort level with Cassel and a track record of success working together two things McDaniels doesn't have right now with Cutler.

Judging by Cutler's recent comments, he never will.

An irate Cutler told the Denver Post that he doesn't believe team officials who claim he was never being dangled and that trade propositions were coming from elsewhere. Strong trust is needed between a quarterback and head coach for NFL success, especially considering how hands-on McDaniels will be with Denver's offense. It seems highly unlikely now that Cutler will ever have the same kind of faith in McDaniels that he did in Shanahan.

Shanahan wasn't nicknamed "The Mastermind" solely because of his play-calling prowess. He would have understood the damage that placing Cutler on the trading block could cause if word of a failed deal leaked. Someone as savvy as Shanahan would have taken a preemptive strike, like assuring Cutler of his good standing before engaging in trade talks and then vehemently denying serious discussions ever occurred publicly and privately if things fell through.

Yes, that means lying. But that's part of the job. Every NFL head coach even someone as hallowed as Tony Dungy has fibbed, fudged or stretched the truth at some point to players and/or the media.

Alienating Cutler was a costly rookie mistake by the 32-year-old McDaniels and 37-year-old Xanders, both of whom are entering their first head-coach and general-manager stints respectively.

Bowlen, though, has no such excuse. He has been around long enough to know better.

Bowlen saw first-hand the damage that quarterback/coach friction can cause when John Elway and Dan Reeves butted heads in the early 1990s. Bowlen ultimately fired Reeves and stuck with Elway, who would later capture the only two Super Bowl titles of his Hall of Fame career under Shanahan's guidance.

Having failed to win a championship in his first 11 seasons as team owner, Bowlen handed Shanahan the keys to the Broncos kingdom in 1995. The power that Shanahan wielded was so great Bowlen once declared him Denver's "coach for life" that it ultimately led to his undoing.

It's believed part of the reason for Shanahan's dismissal was Bowlen's belief that he felt too comfortable with his job security despite having won just one playoff game this decade. Bowlen was even willing to pay Shanahan the $21 million remaining on the three years of his contract to regain "control" of the franchise.

Yet it now appears Bowlen is headed down the same road with McDaniels. Those familiar with the inner workings of Denver's front office say McDaniels exercises almost the same power as Shanahan, only with team executive Joe Ellis (who doesn't have an Xs and Os background) serving as a middleman for Bowlen. McDaniels already was successful in pushing for Xanders to replace general manager Jim Goodman (a holdover from the Shanahan regime), even though Bowlen initially declared that no changes were coming to his front office. Bowlen also has green-lighted extensive forays into free agency that Shanahan once took.

Bowlen isn't as involved with his team's personnel decisions as fellow team owners like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder or Al Davis. But Bowlen should have intervened to make sure that losing out on one quarterback didn't mean potentially ruining a long-term relationship with an even more established one already on the roster.

At Shanahan's farewell news conference, Bowlen said he was going to take a more active role in running the franchise.

"I'm here every day and I make the decisions," Bowlen said. "I run the show."

He's running it into the ground if the Cutler debacle is a sign of things to come.

Archer81
03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
http://tinyurl.com/ab368s

:Broncos:

Man-Goblin
03-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Wait, McDaniels may have hurt his relationship with Cutler? Oh noes! What will the Broncos do?

lex
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Its dead on, except Im not buying McDaniels wanting Cassel over Cutler given the circumstances and that Jay was part of the team when he interviewed to be the head coach.

Archer81
03-05-2009, 09:07 AM
http://preview.tinyurl.com/acmvnw

cmhargrove
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Too much drama.... hard....to....breathe.....

Really, I have to do this: :deadhorse

This whole situation might be an incredibly positive thing for the team if it gets worked out properly.
1. Jay might grow up and accept that he needs to get even better.
2. Jay will want to kick the **** out of Matt Cassel's Chiefs twice a year.
3. Jay will also harbor ill will against the Pats.
4. The team gets reshuffled, and McD lives up to his "offensive genius" status.
5. The entire broncos team understands that no one part is worth more than the whole.

It could be good, or Jay asks for a trade next week. We'll see...

lex
03-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Too much drama.... hard....to....breathe.....

Really, I have to do this: :deadhorse

This whole situation might be an incredibly positive thing for the team if it gets worked out properly.
1. Jay might grow up and accept that he needs to get even better.
2. Jay will want to kick the **** out of Matt Cassel's Chiefs twice a year.
3. Jay will also harbor ill will against the Pats.
4. The team gets reshuffled, and McD lives up to his "offensive genius" status.
5. The entire broncos team understands that no one part is worth more than the whole.

It could be good, or Jay asks for a trade next week. We'll see...

Or it may seem like all of that is happening until Jay walks in two years. As well as others.

Dagmar
03-05-2009, 09:17 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/mm3jmw.gif

Archer81
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Or it may seem like all of that is happening until Jay walks in two years. As well as others.

Yes, because as we know no one can get over being angry in two years. it just isnt done.

OBF1
03-05-2009, 09:27 AM
In related news, water is wet

s0phr0syne
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
yeah, I knew that posting this article now would be met with the, "oh no, not this sh!t again response", but I guess that the good news is that so far it looks like it hasn't been posted before...

SonOfLe-loLang
03-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Oh please, they won't even feel the same way in 2 months, let alone two years

Archer81
03-05-2009, 09:35 AM
http://tinyurl.com/cx5zcj

lex
03-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Yes, because as we know no one can get over being angry in two years. it just isnt done.

What makes you so sure he will get over it? Are you promising that he will?

HorseHead
03-05-2009, 09:39 AM
zzz...zzz....zzz....

Umm...it's like March...

Archer81
03-05-2009, 09:42 AM

Are you promising that he wont? Do you know him? Does he call you at home? Have you ever been angry at your boss for 2 solid years over the same thing?

theAPAOps5
03-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I could care less if people disagree with me. Yes they blunderd the handling of this AFTER news leaked. But I am glad they listened to an offer. I choose to believe they weren't shopping him. Jim Armstrong said on the Fan yesterday that he spoke to Minnesota's Front Office and they said what the hell is going on. Cutler coming to Minnesota is all over the front page and we haven't even talked to Denver. I also have my own "sources" if you will who have no reason to lie for McD and company and they pretty much backed up the story Denver has maintained.

I think Jay Cutler needs to grow the hell up and deal with it. If he had made one statement saying he was unhappy about it I would not care. But he kept talking and talking and talking. It went from voicing his anger to being a baby.

TheDave
03-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Winning will cure everything...

Have a good season, and everyone will make nice.

Have a bad season... well you get the point.

Dagmar
03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Are you promising that he wont? Do you know him? Does he call you at home? Have you ever been angry at your boss for 2 solid years over the same thing?

This is lex we are talking about here...

lex
03-05-2009, 09:55 AM

No, Im not promising that he wont get over it but the risk of him walking was intensified this past weekend unnecessarily. Im not the one defending increasing the risk that he will walk though. McDaniels fubarred this whole thing and has increased the likelihood that players feel he is not to be trusted.

worm
03-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes...Shanny has NEVER mishandled a QB situation. ::)

Archer81
03-05-2009, 10:03 AM
No, Im not promising that he wont get over it but the risk of him walking was intensified this past weekend unnecessarily. Im not the one defending increasing the risk that he will walk though. McDaniels fubarred this whole thing and has increased the likelihood that players feel he is not to be trusted.

Cutler feels he can not be trusted. Thats not the same thing as the entire team. Jay has even hinted he is not mad about being traded, just the sequence of events. Like it makes a difference if Denver initiated the trade or if they were called, either way the team chose not to ship him off to Tampa. I really doubt Jay will remain that angry for the next 3 years of his contract and then just leave when its time to go. Cutler will not leave Denver without something coming back to us, either a long term deal or a couple of first round picks from someone else.

BroncoInSkinland
03-05-2009, 10:04 AM
yeah, I knew that posting this article now would be met with the, "oh no, not this sh!t again response", but I guess that the good news is that so far it looks like it hasn't been posted before...

Don't worry, yours won't be the last time something like this is posted. Even if there are no repricussions, speculation will run wild all next season that there is a rift between the two. Unless we go undefeated until we lock up the division that is.

In response I would say it will probably all boil down to nothing more than just that, wild speculation. I doubt McDaniels can get anything close to Jays worth in a trade at this point, and I doubt Cutler will force the issue to go to a team like Detroit or the Browns. This will all be a long forgotten issue by the time the draft is over at least for the people that matter, those on the team. The internet fans will hold on like Vick's pit bulls on the other hand. It will be the "cause" for every botched playcall (Josh did that to make Cutler look bad), and every missed pass (Cutler isn't on the same page as the HC).

The article itself does touch on some of the concerns I have personally regarding the organization. The youth in the front office, bowlen shoving an unproven coach into a HC/GM like role, what amount to "rookie" mistakes on a corporate level. I am not going to throw our new coach under the bus, but I certainly hope he knows how to get out of the road himself, cause there are others who will do so with a smile on thier face.

worm
03-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I could care less if people disagree with me. Yes they blunderd the handling of this AFTER news leaked. But I am glad they listened to an offer. I choose to believe they weren't shopping him. Jim Armstrong said on the Fan yesterday that he spoke to Minnesota's Front Office and they said what the hell is going on. Cutler coming to Minnesota is all over the front page and we haven't even talked to Denver. I also have my own "sources" if you will who have no reason to lie for McD and company and they pretty much backed up the story Denver has maintained.

I think Jay Cutler needs to grow the hell up and deal with it. If he had made one statement saying he was unhappy about it I would not care. But he kept talking and talking and talking. It went from voicing his anger to being a baby.

Yet when Jay has HIS sources that 'know for a fact' that he was being shopped you choose to not to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe your sources are more well connected than his???

You made up your mind about this issue from the start and have been pounding it into the ground with baby this and baby ever since.

I personally don't begrudge what he is feeling given HIS perspective of the facts. His mistake was answering the phone when the media called.

lex
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Cutler feels he can not be trusted. Thats not the same thing as the entire team. Jay has even hinted he is not mad about being traded, just the sequence of events. Like it makes a difference if Denver initiated the trade or if they were called, either way the team chose not to ship him off to Tampa. I really doubt Jay will remain that angry for the next 3 years of his contract and then just leave when its time to go. Cutler will not leave Denver without something coming back to us, either a long term deal or a couple of first round picks from someone else.

...at least you hope so.

s0phr0syne
03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
haha, I just got my first neg rep for this thread. Ouch.

Don't worry, yours won't be the last time something like this is posted. Even if there are no repricussions, speculation will run wild all next season that there is a rift between the two. Unless we go undefeated until we lock up the division that is.

In response I would say it will probably all boil down to nothing more than just that, wild speculation. I doubt McDaniels can get anything close to Jays worth in a trade at this point, and I doubt Cutler will force the issue to go to a team like Detroit or the Browns. This will all be a long forgotten issue by the time the draft is over at least for the people that matter, those on the team. The internet fans will hold on like Vick's pit bulls on the other hand. It will be the "cause" for every botched playcall (Josh did that to make Cutler look bad), and every missed pass (Cutler isn't on the same page as the HC).

The article itself does touch on some of the concerns I have personally regarding the organization. The youth in the front office, bowlen shoving an unproven coach into a HC/GM like role, what amount to "rookie" mistakes on a corporate level. I am not going to throw our new coach under the bus, but I certainly hope he knows how to get out of the road himself, cause there are others who will do so with a smile on thier face.

Yeah exactly, my point of posting this wasn't to say "Cutler is right, McD is wrong". Like you said, the entire situation and sequence of events raised serious concerns about McD and Xanders's ability to operate the FO at a competent level.

I think it's a good article compared to the 50,000 other ones that simply call Cutler a crybaby.

theAPAOps5
03-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Yet when Jay has HIS sources that 'know for a fact' that he was being shopped you choose to not to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe your sources are more well connected than his???

You made up your mind about this issue from the start and have been pounding it into the ground with baby this and baby ever since.

I personally don't begrudge what he is feeling given HIS perspective of the facts. His mistake was answering the phone when the media called.

Yes I continually hammered on Cutler as a baby. But I was just acting like all the McD haters who kept bashing and bashing themselves. Yeah it was way overdone by me.

That and Cutler admitted he hadn't talked to the team and his agent said they found out from Vic Lombardi. The same Vic Lombardi who admitted he can't get a return call from the team.

Anyways its a moot point now. Its over and done with. Cutler is still here and as his success directly impacts the teams success I hope he does well and he and McD can put this situation behind them.

I was just responding as my name was brought up in the orginal post. So from here on out. GO Broncos, that includes Cutler! :peace: :approve:

jonny1
03-05-2009, 10:19 AM

?????

As far as I know, Cutler has made ONE statement, last weekend.

His statement has been regurgitated time and again by commentators and people on this board, but outside of his first statement, and then letting it be known that he would talk to McDaniels when he comes back to Denver ON SCHEDULE, he hasn't said a thing.

worm
03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Anyways its a moot point now. Its over and done with. Cutler is still here and as his success directly impacts the teams success I hope he does well and he and McD can put this situation behind them.

:thumbsup: I agree brutha!

theAPAOps5
03-05-2009, 10:23 AM
?????

As far as I know, Cutler has made ONE statement, last weekend.

His statement has been regurgitated time and again by commentators and people on this board, but outside of his first statement, and then letting it be known that he would talk to McDaniels when he comes back to Denver ON SCHEDULE, he hasn't said a thing.

He made about 4 statements over the weekend. But like I said, its a moot point now. He isn't going anywhere according to the team. So time to get behind him and hope this issue is resolved quickly and positively.

Pony Boy
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
The truth is the deal fell through when Cassel had to admitt his arm is not stonger than John Elway's.

theAPAOps5
03-05-2009, 10:52 AM
The truth is the deal fell through when Cassel had to admitt his arm is not stonger than John Elway's.

LOL awesome! I still contend that was never an issue with Cutler. He got asked that question all the time. He finally answered it. It was crazy how many people took issue with that.

BroncoInferno
03-05-2009, 02:23 PM

Well, let's put it this way, lex. If Jay Cutler is still smarting over this two years from now, then he is a very immature person and probably lacks the maturity to be a championship level NFL QB. A rational adult would be over this in two weeks. If carries some sort of grudge all the way to the end of his contract then we are essentially dealing with a latter day Jeff George.

Pick Six
03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
The Broncos didn't blow it. This will be news until the draft. After the draft, the focus will be on the new pieces of the puzzle. Cutler will be fine...

Popps
03-05-2009, 02:55 PM

LOL

Dedhed
03-05-2009, 03:31 PM

If he doesn't, he will have proven that his attitude will always get in the way of his talent.