PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams (the safety) released by Dallas

montrose
03-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Dallas Cowboys release safety Roy Williams
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING - Roy Williams is no longer a Dallas Cowboy.

After attempts to trade the five-time Pro Bowl safety failed, the Cowboys decided to release Williams, their No. 1 draft pick in 2002. Williams confirmed his release Thursday morning in a text message.

By cutting Williams, the Cowboys save roughly $2 million in salary-cap space in 2009 and close the book on a player who was once the face of the franchise.

Williams was named to the Pro Bowl from 2003 to '07, earning a reputation as one of the NFL's most-feared hitters. He was also named All-Pro in 2003 and only five defensive players in franchise history have played in more Pro Bowls than Williams as a Cowboy. He finished his Dallas career with 611 tackles, 6½ sacks, 22 tackles for loss, 21 quarterback pressures, 56 pass deflections and 19 interceptions. He returned three for a touchdown, one shy of the team record.

Williams, 28, was limited to three games in 2008 because of a twice fractured right forearm and he finished with just nine tackles.

The Cowboys signed Williams to a $25 million extension on Aug. 2, 2006, that included an $11.1 million signing bonus, which at the time was the most in history for a safety. But Williams' coverage skills became more of an issue over the last few years, something that he believed was a result in the change to the 3-4 scheme from the 4-3 system the Cowboys used when he was drafted out of Oklahoma.

Williams also earned several fines and was suspended by the NFL for a game for horse-collar tackles, which is commonly known as the Roy Williams Rule.

Williams was also one of the most involved players in the community with his Safety Net Foundation work for single moms, setting up offices in Dallas and Oklahoma to help families in need.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/030609dnsporoywilliams.62144b2.html

ohiobronco2
03-05-2009, 08:24 AM
BLAST. I was just getting ready to post this. :D

THE “ORIGINAL” ROY WILLIAMS GETS HIS WISH
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2009, 10:12 a.m.
With the pad of pink slips already out of the desk drawer for receiver Terrell Owens, NBC Dallas-Ft. Worth reports that the Dallas Cowboys used a second sheet on safety Roy Williams. (Not receiver Roy Williams, Sid. Safety Roy Williams.)

The move comes two days after Williams gave the team a “trade me or cut me” ultimatum, and presumably after the team exhausted all potential trade opportunities.

As of last week, the Cowboys were actively shopping the seven-year veteran, but could find no takers.

Williams had been griping for nearly a year about his perception that he’s not a good fit in the specific 3-4 system used by coach Wade Phillips.

Per Todd Archer of the Dallas Morning News, the move saves $2 million in 2009 cap space.

Look for the Dolphins and former Dallas head coach Bill Parcells to possibly make a play for Williams.

Mogulseeker
03-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Dawkins-Williams?

cmhargrove
03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm glad we got Dawkins.

Roy is done as a "feared" strong safety, although he could help with depth on a team with a good D-line.

Smiling Assassin27
03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
can't cover my grandmother. pass.

TheReverend
03-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Dawkins-Williams?

There's scarcely an imaginable safety combo that could encompass so much failure.

Manuel and McCree are the only one that comes to mind.

Requiem
03-05-2009, 08:33 AM
^ Gayness.

TonyR
03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
There's scarcely an imaginable safety combo that could encompass so much failure.

Yep, two guys who are liabilities in coverage together would be a disaster. No way you could pair them.

want2bAbronco2
03-05-2009, 08:43 AM
"Williams' coverage skills became more of an issue over the last few years, something that he believed was a result in the change to the 3-4 scheme from the 4-3"

We are going to a 3-4....so ummm no.

Mogulseeker
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM

I disagree with part one, but Hilarious! @ part two.

No, I don't think we should sign Williams.

TheReverend
03-05-2009, 08:46 AM
^ Gayness.

Says the 110 lb emo fruit who acts like a gangster on internet message boards?

Right.............

Requiem
03-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Right.............

I'm just impressed by your fantastic writing skills, that is all. I was really hoping for more of an analysis in regards to your statement. Madman style effort, yo!

TheReverend
03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm just impressed by your fantastic writing skills, that is all. I was really hoping for more of an analysis in regards to your statement. Madman style effort, yo!

Made more than enough to have paid for your tuition...

Keep up your stellar analysis. My favorite Requiem gem?

Your pretty 14 year old emo girl face holding the note: "George Foster Is No Imposter"

supermanhr9
03-05-2009, 08:57 AM
you guys don't like eachother huh? haha jk

Requiem
03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Made more than enough to have paid for your tuition.

I'm not sure if this is saying much. Probably not a good way to go about it.

My favorite Requiem gem?

Your pretty 14 year old emo girl face holding the note: "George Foster Is No Imposter"

Almost as good as the pictures on your Myspace. My favorite? The one where you and your service buddies are cracking open a few brews, reminiscing on times gone past. I particularly like the facial expression on the blonde. It looks like he's had experience behind you before and certainly enjoyed it. The homosexuality in that picture is beyond describable. You're a writer though -- put it into words for us. Good touch, bad touch?

Did you wince like a puppy?

Requiem
03-05-2009, 09:00 AM
you guys don't like eachother huh? haha jk

Fargo gets a lot of snow. When it melts, there is an abundance of puddles that flood the roads. He's the kind of guy you take your vehicle with and splash with the icy cold water without any regrets. Other people start to take notice and do the same thing. It is quite fun. Sometimes it is good to be humbled. ^5

TheReverend
03-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Almost as good as the pictures on your Myspace. My favorite? The one where you and your service buddies are cracking open a few brews, reminiscing on times gone past. I particularly like the facial expression on the blonde. It looks like he's had experience behind you before and certainly enjoyed it. The homosexuality in that picture is beyond describable. You're a writer though -- put it into words for us. Good touch, bad touch?

Did you wince like a puppy?

That's just creepy...

Are you a professional stalker now, or still working the amateur ranks?

Requiem
03-05-2009, 09:11 AM
That's just creepy...

Are you a professional stalker now, or still working the amateur ranks?

Your Myspace is in your profile. Secondly, is it any different than you remembering a picture I posted up a long time ago (has to be over a year, considering Foster hasn't played for Denver in a while) and discussing it? You are making very, very poor arguments here Reverend. That seems par for the course though, and really surprising since you consider yourself to be on the "right" side of everything in any football argument. Keep up the good work though, Madman Reverend!

montrose
03-05-2009, 09:11 AM
If we still played a 4-3, didn't have DJ and Woodyard - I'd be intrigued at giving him a try at WLB.

Dudeskey
03-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Dawkins > Williams..

TheReverend
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Your Myspace is in your profile. Secondly, is it any different than you remembering a picture I posted up a long time ago (has to be over a year, considering Foster hasn't played for Denver in a while) and discussing it? You are making very, very poor arguments here Reverend. That seems par for the course though, and really surprising since you consider yourself to be on the "right" side of everything in any football argument. Keep up the good work though, Madman Reverend!

So you're saying that me seeing your Orangemane avatar of you holding a George Foster note (football related) is the same thing as you opening my mane profile, following that to myspace page, and then poring over my pictures...?

And I'm making a poor argument... uhh

OBF1
03-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Sign him...........and TO while we are at it. Anyone else we do not need?

socalorado
03-05-2009, 09:41 AM

QFT

SoonerBronco
03-05-2009, 09:46 AM
The guy was basically a LB at OU and was dominant. He would be good depth for LB. Especially since Boss can't play a full game.

El Guapo
03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
he cant cover. NO. What the hell are you guys smokin'? haha

theAPAOps5
03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow that was a very nice exchange btw TheRev and Requiem. The Rev has merit in his stance that Requiem had to click on a profile then click a link and then sort through pictures. While Requiem has merit about remembering an Avy its still less of an argument as that was posted openly here for a while. The argument of TheRev saving that memory is rendered useless by Requiems attack on TheRev's book. TheRev really doesn't talk about his book much and it takes remembering and/or searching to find it.

So the battle goes to TheRev due to the amount of effort put in by Requiem to counter attack. That and his name is Requiem, thats just gay.

ZONA
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
"Williams' coverage skills became more of an issue over the last few years, something that he believed was a result in the change to the 3-4 scheme from the 4-3"

We are going to a 3-4....so ummm no.

No doubt - he is quoted saying he doesn't thrive in a 3-4 so why people think he would be a good fit here blow my mind. Some people are just sheep man. They hear a name of a player on FA and go "hey, should he be a bronco?".

We got our experienced vet now in Dawkins so we need to add a younger guy (possibly Barrett) on the other side so he can learn from Dawkins. That's the way you do it.

SoonerBronco
03-05-2009, 01:39 PM
No doubt - he is quoted saying he doesn't thrive in a 3-4 so why people think he would be a good fit here blow my mind. Some people are just sheep man. They hear a name of a player on FA and go "hey, should he be a bronco?".

We got our experienced vet now in Dawkins so we need to add a younger guy (possibly Barrett) on the other side so he can learn from Dawkins. That's the way you do it.

I honestly think he would be an uprade at LB for us...which is where he should be playing INHO.

Beantown Bronco
03-05-2009, 02:23 PM

He plays safety. Shouldn't matter whether it's a 3-4 or 4-3 defense in front of him. His responsibilities don't really change.

Fact is, he would struggle in either system equally right now. His "game" was neutered the minute they outlawed the horsecollar tackle.

Bronx33
03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
bad tipper bad safety.

STBumpkin
03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Hell No! Not after the cheap shot he gave Rod at the Pro Bowl. No Bronco fan should ever want to see THAT Roy Williams play for Denver

Lestat
03-05-2009, 04:39 PM
if we can move him to OLB then heck yeah sign him.

Los Broncos
03-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I cant stand the site of the guy after the hit he put on Rod.

barryr
03-06-2009, 07:05 AM
I agree, Williams needs to be moved to a LB position of some kind. He has no cover skills to cover anyone down the field. The Broncos are better at safety and don't need Williams at that spot and probably wouldn't be someone the Broncos look at anyway.

Broncos_OTM
03-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Right.............
HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Broncos_OTM
03-06-2009, 07:13 AM

Did you wince like a puppy?BOOOO!!!

Broncos_OTM
03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Wow that was a very nice exchange btw TheRev and Requiem. The Rev has merit in his stance that Requiem had to click on a profile then click a link and then sort through pictures. While Requiem has merit about remembering an Avy its still less of an argument as that was posted openly here for a while. The argument of TheRev saving that memory is rendered useless by Requiems attack on TheRev's book. TheRev really doesn't talk about his book much and it takes remembering and/or searching to find it.

So the battle goes to TheRev due to the amount of effort put in by Requiem to counter attack. That and his name is Requiem, thats just gay.

Dude, when things are that ****ing dumb you remember them.

UberBroncoMan
03-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Watch San Diego nab him.

loborugger
03-06-2009, 07:44 AM
This guy has been overrated for a while now, it sounds like even Jerry Jones is waking up to that fact now.

HILife
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM

Is that a low blow I hear?