PDA

View Full Version : Who will start at RB for Denver in 09?

Popps
03-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Just for fun.

We know that multiple backs will be used. But, who ends up our "feature" back in the sense of being the most productive/most carries?

Los Broncos
03-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Jj

Archer81
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Hillis, with Arrington spelling him.

:Broncos:

Arkie
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Hillis may not start the first snap of the first game, but he will have the most yards from scrimmage by season's end.

DBroncos4life
03-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Jordan shouldn't even be in the NFL. He was way over hyped in NY and I have to wonder if he wasn't a Pat last year if he would even be on the team now.

Popps
03-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I voted Hillis, but that's probably wishful thinking. I DO think he's probably our best option, but I think Buckhalter will see more time if he stays healthy.

Popps
03-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Jordan shouldn't even be in the NFL. He was way over hyped in NY and I have to wonder if he wasn't a Pat last year if he would even be on the team now.

I think you'll feel differently by season's end. Just remember this post.

Gcver2ver3
03-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Buck...

DBroncos4life
03-05-2009, 12:11 AM
I think you'll feel differently by season's end. Just remember this post.

1 thousand yard season in 8 years. 30 years old and avgs under 500 yards per season. I just don't see him wowing anyone. For a big back he has never really scored many TDs for his career either. I'd rather have Sammy Morris.

DBroncos4life
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Buck...

I voted for him too. ;D

Archer81
03-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Jordan was a backup until he went to Oakland and popped off his only 1,000 yard season. He has skills. Just a little banged up.

SouthStndJunkie
03-05-2009, 12:22 AM
I voted for Hillis....let's hope McDaniels gives him a fair shot to win the job.

DBroncos4life
03-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Jordan was a backup until he went to Oakland and popped off his only 1,000 yard season. He has skills. Just a little banged up.

That year he had a 3.8 yard per carry average. Infact 4 out of his 8 years he finished the season with a 3.8 yard per carry avg. I just don't think he is that good.

randomtask
03-05-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm gonna go against the consensus and pick Torain.

When healthy, he's the most talented of our backs, as he has the power and burst to the hole to be very effective running inside, and has the speed to be deadly running outside. The part that I liked the most in his half at cleveland, however, was his vision, seeing not just the initial hole, but any secondary and tertiary back-cut lanes available.

While his health record is a problem, I can't see him not getting a chance to compete for the starting gig, and if given that chance, should easily win it.

Popps
03-05-2009, 12:28 AM
That year he had a 3.8 yard per carry average. Infact 4 out of his 8 years he finished the season with a 3.8 yard per carry avg. I just don't think he is that good.

Well, I don't think he'll win the starting gig, but I think he's a capable back.
I actually think he would have torn it up in our system under Shanahan. It's hard to know who will do what at this point, as we don't know how (if) the blocking scheme will change.

I agree in the sense that he's no Adrian Peterson, but he'll contribute and my guess is that you'll be glad we signed him by year's end.

Archer81
03-05-2009, 12:35 AM

Not saying he is the next franchise back, but he can be a solid substitute and a good backup.

BroncoMan4ever
03-05-2009, 12:41 AM
i think it should be Hillis, but it seems like McDouche won't be giving him the opportunity to be the man.

so i am going to assume it will be a draft pick. Arrington is a 3rd down back and returner, Buckhalter is more injury prone than Torain, and Jordan is a good backup for a young powerful starter.

24champ
03-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Talent wise, Torain is better than all of them.

SureShot
03-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Knoshon Moreno.

Why not? We obviously don't have enough backs yet.

Broncosfreak_56
03-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Buck, if he is healthy(big if).

hambone13
03-05-2009, 04:16 AM
I can't justify my opinion with any stats because his stats are mediocre at best. However, I see him as a bigger version of Ronnie Brown who's never had an O-Line like ours. It's more of a feeling than anything but I think Popp"s "Big, Bruising, Underrated" descriptions says it all about what I've seen in him when I've had the opportunity to to watch him run.

With the passing game we're capable of, it's gonna be tough to stack the line against his big bruising a**

Drek
03-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Hillis, as he's the perfect 3rd down back for McDaniels' desired system. He can pass protect, catch out of the backfield, and produce tough yardage running the ball.

The Denver Post is making **** up and a lot of gullible saps with an axe to grind are willing to believe it. Doesn't make it true. All the backs we looked to bring in are guys who will be complimentary players to Hillis' style. He'll be here and he'll be the feature back, though not in a traditional sense.

oubronco
03-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Hillis will be the starting fullback with Buckhalter starting RB

lex
03-05-2009, 06:39 AM
I like Hillis over anyone we've brought in but you know these other guys are going to play just to justify the expense of bringing these average running backs in. Dumb.

Mogulseeker
03-05-2009, 06:42 AM
It better be Hillis.

I'm not liking all these RB signings. Especially all that money we gave to Arrington.

BroncoInSkinland
03-05-2009, 06:48 AM
I voted Buckhalter because I think he will get the yards and carries, but Hillis will score the points and move the chains.

Traveler
03-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Draft Pick: Rashad Jennings

Lamont Jordan doesn't make the team.

Broncos signed RB LaMont Jordan to a two-year, $2.5 million contract. The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus.

The relatively small bonus won't guarantee Jordan a spot on the club, but he has advantages over the other Denver backs. Jordan was with coach Josh McDaniels in New England last year and has played in a zone-blocking system before. Jordan is never a good bet to play injury-free seasons, but a healthy training camp should earn him a role.
Source: Denver Post

gunns
03-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Since we've done nothing yet to upgrade our injury prone RB corps I pray it's Hillis.

Traveler
03-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Since we've done nothing yet to upgrade our injury prone RB corps I pray it's Hillis.

C'mon Gunns! Tell us how you really feel.

Mogulseeker
03-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Since it's who WILL start... I would have voted Buckhalter. But I agree with most of the people here that Hillis will have more yardage and will have produced more by season's end.

HorseHead
03-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Hillis...I have a man crush on that dude...

Traveler
03-05-2009, 07:39 AM
NFL | Jennings to hold private workouts with several teams
Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:06:13 -0800

JJ Pesavento, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Liberty RB Rashad Jennings has private workouts scheduled with the Denver Broncos, the San Diego Chargers and the Seattle Seahawks in the near future.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

montrose
03-05-2009, 08:17 AM
I think we'll see Buckhalter as the starting HB with Hillis playing the FB in the few occasions McDaniels uses the position. Jordan will be the true backup HB although Arrington will be worked into the lineup. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Hillis used a little as an H-Back, although McDaniels hasn't used much of that in the past.

MVP-06
03-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Buck will get the RB nod, Hillis will be a H-back

cdesignmaster
03-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I have no idea, but I'd put the percentages of 95% to 5% that whoever it is will be one of McDaniel's picks and not someone from last year.

chaz
03-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Hillis may not start the first snap of the first game, but he will have the most yards from scrimmage by season's end.

Exactly...Buckhalter will likely get the nod, but I think it will be clear Hillis is the go-to guy

toad
03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
For some reason I have a sneaky idea, for whatever "gut" feeling, that it will end up Jordan....but I think Hillis will be the true work horse.

Reason being, he's McD's "guy" from NE (and we've learned from the Cassell/Cutler fiasco that McD, apparently, likes "his guys").

Traveler
03-05-2009, 12:10 PM
NFL | Jennings runs at Pro Day
Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:57:39 -0800

JJ Pesavento, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Liberty RB Rashad Jennings ran between 4.42 seconds and 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard yard dash at his Pro Day. The Washington Redskins, the Tennessee Titans, the Denver Broncos, the Indianapolis Colts, the New Orleans Saints, the New England Patriots, the New York Giants, the Cleveland Browns, the Atlanta Falcons and the Carolina Panthers attended the Pro Day.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

ZONA
03-05-2009, 02:08 PM
If you think logically, you would have to conclude this:

HILLIS

Why: In a spread offense one of the most important duties the single set back has is pass protection. You are removing a TE from the line in most cases so picking up that blitz to protect your franchise QB is super important. Hillis blocks better then all of the backs we have hands down. It's not even close. The single set back also catches alot of dump down passes so he has to have great hands. Alot of those dump down passes are coming after the QB has read the WR's in route and if they are not open, by that time there is usually some degree of pressure from the defense and the pass could come quick and slightly high or low. EVERYBODY has seen what kind of hands this guy has. He catches the ball with his hands while alot of backs like to use their hands and pads combined. He is the best back we have in terms of short yardage. He just gets it done, even when he has a 250 LB on his back 3 yards short of the 1st down, he carries the guy to the chains. He's possibly the toughest of all the backs we have with the most size. Aside from a freak fluke injury, he to me will be the most durable (due to his size, physical style and youth). He also has shown a nose for the endzone on short yardage. That's never a bad thing. And let's face it, Hillis holds the rock. I don't remember him having a fumble last year at all.

The other guys were brought in for one reason only. Depth. All you have to do is look back to last year to see that. At some point, I think alot of these guys will be used during the season.

I think you will see a great camp with fierce competition at the RB spot but I choose Hillis to start because I simply think he is the best back in all the areas mentioned above and he will prove it on the field.

Majik
03-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Buckhalter: Will stay healthy and flourish out of Westbrook's shadow.

The homer-ism for Hillis around here is epic to say the very least. I wish he was as good everybody around here thinks he is. How can such an All Pro talent fly so low under the radar around the league.

elsid13
03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Torain is the runner that all the team think is the elite back. But Mcdick isn't interested in anything that Shanahan left, so I'm going other.

Malcontent
03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Hillis will be the Kevin Faulk for the broncos..just not as fast.

HEAV
03-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Buckwild.

Bronco_Beerslug
03-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Doesn't really matter in this offensive system. Hillis won't be the starting HB.

Hillis will be the Kevin Faulk for the broncos..just not as fast.Yep, pretty much.

Dukes
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Do we know for sure that Hillis is/will be completely healed from his hamstring injury? Anyone know?

ZONA
03-05-2009, 09:56 PM
How can such an All Pro talent fly so low under the radar around the league.

For real? What a stupid question.

#1 Who said he is flying so low under the radar? Are you sitting in the scout and player personnel meetings for all 32 teams or something? No. So you have no idea what players they are discussing, who they like and what not. Who's to say there aren't some teams out there that are keeping an eye on him, maybe hoping he could be cut or maybe traded. Maybe the love what he showed in his limited action last year.

#2 Let's not go down this road of players overlooked early in their career only to become great players either later on with the same team or a different team. So let's apply your question again but add some names in there shall we.

"How can such an All Pro talent (such as Priest Homes) fly so low under the radar around the league."

"How can such an All Pro talent (such as Ed McCaffrey) fly so low under the radar around the league."

"How can such an All Pro talent (such as Wes Welker) fly so low under the radar around the league."

Holmes was just rotting away before he hooked up with the Chiefs and look what he turned out to be. Same with Easy Ed and for god sake, Welker wasn't even drafted dude. And there are hundreds of more names you could throw in there.

So again, are you for real with that question?

Majik
03-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Holmes was just rotting away before he hooked up with the Chiefs

You call 1,000 yards and 7 tds as a rookie rotting away? and was on pace to match those numbers in his second season before going down by injury.

Im not going to knock the pro that Eddie Mac was, but he didnt set the world on fire his first few years with denver either.

I sure as hell am not ready to crown Hillis after one 100 yard game and a few solid efforts especially when those defenses weren't crowding the line trying to stop him.

azbroncfan
03-06-2009, 12:01 AM
The question needs more info. Starts the regular season or has the most starts throughout the year. All the backs outside of Arrington have shown they can be hurt easily.

Popps
03-06-2009, 12:21 AM
The question needs more info. Starts the regular season or has the most starts throughout the year. All the backs outside of Arrington have shown they can be hurt easily.

But, who ends up our "feature" back in the sense of being the most productive/most carries?

My implication there was... who ends up being the guy. Whether he starts out that way or ends that way. Who plays the biggest role by the end of the season as far as carries and production lined up behind QB.

Again, Shanahan tried to make Hillis something he wasn't, and then finally had to make him the starter because of injury... but once he got the carries, Shanahan wasn't going to take the ball out of his hands.

It'll be the same for McD if he gives him an honest look. There will simply be no way he can choose anyone else, based on production.

BroncoDoug
03-06-2009, 12:24 AM
my heart says hillis, but my head say buckhalter

yerner
03-06-2009, 12:44 AM
**** **** ****. i'm finally having to vote hillis. the rest make me puke.

DarkHorse
03-06-2009, 02:18 AM
I voted Hillis, I think he's the best back on our roster.

How many backs do we currently have anyway??

nickademus
03-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I would like us to draft 1 back in the draft. The kid from Liberty dude is 6'1 235 and has had a productive college career. ran a 4.59 at the combine. my guess is we lett everyone battle it out at TC.

ZONA
03-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Really? All the pounding Hillis did and he's bouncing back up off the turf with no problems. He goes high for a pass and comes down with a straight leg getting tangled up with a CB and that qualifies him as somebody who gets hurt easily? That's just total BS and you know it.

Punisher
03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm calling for a 5 Back system :)