View Full Version : Denver Post: Hillis to compete for "role" position

Taco John
03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Deal for RB Ward comes up a bit short
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/03/2009 12:30:00 AM MST
Updated: 03/03/2009 01:49:33 AM MST

Good news, Correll Buckhalter.

Feel free to breathe, Ryan Torain. The Broncos could not close the deal for their top free-agent running back choice, Derrick Ward. And a deal for Arizona Cardinals free-agent running back J.J. Arrington has all but fallen apart.

Ward, who will turn 29 before the 2009 season opener, rushed for 1,025 yards on 5.6 yards per carry as a backup tailback last season for the New York Giants. He visited with the Broncos on Sunday but did not accept their four-year offer.

Instead, Ward signed Monday with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for four years and $17 million. That's well off the Michael Turner deal of six years, $34.5 million that Ward was seeking when free agency opened. But the Bucs' deal was too rich for Denver.

Arrington, meanwhile, has moved on. He had a four-year, $10 million deal in place with the Broncos last Friday, but the deal fell apart.

He has been drawing interest from other teams, including his latest team, the Cardinals.

With Ward gone and Arrington fading, Buckhalter is expected to get the first chance to become the Broncos' starting running back.

Torain, whose rookie season was decimated by serious injuries to his elbow and knee, will compete with Buckhalter for the top spot. Peyton Hillis and Selvin Young are expected to compete for role positions.

http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_11822873?source=rss

yerner
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Role Position? Popps will not be happy.

Lycan
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
The Denver Post

Feel free to breathe, Ryan Torain. The Broncos could not close the deal for their top free-agent running back choice, Derrick Ward. And a deal for Arizona Cardinals free-agent running back J.J. Arrington has all but fallen apart.

Ward, who will turn 29 before the 2009 season opener, rushed for 1,025 yards on 5.6 yards per carry as a backup tailback last season for the New York Giants. He visited with the Broncos on Sunday but did not accept their four-year offer.

Instead, Ward signed Monday with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for four years and $17 million. That's well off the Michael Turner deal of six years, $34.5 million that Ward was seeking when free agency opened. But the Bucs' deal was too rich for Denver.

Arrington, meanwhile, has moved on. He had a four-year, $10 million deal in place with the Broncos last Friday, but the deal fell apart.

He has been drawing interest from other teams, including his latest team, the Cardinals.

With Ward gone and Arrington fading, Buckhalter is expected to get the first chance to become the Broncos' starting running back.

Torain, whose rookie season was decimated by serious injuries to his elbow and knee, will compete with Buckhalter for the top spot. Peyton Hillis and Selvin Young are expected to compete for role positions.

Isn't this just what the Post thinks?

If Hillis is as good as we think he is than he will win the job in camp, or at least the #2 spot.

CHANGSTER
03-04-2009, 07:01 PM
With the log jam at HB, I don't see why Hillis wouldn't just be moved back too FB. Even though NE used their FB sparingly, they still carried one. Him an Heath Evans are about the same size.

Keep him listed at FB, give him some carries here and there, and utilize him as a receiver.

McDman
03-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I'd be hella pissed if Hillis was released.

Rohirrim
I don't see the problem here. They all go to camp and the cream rises to the top, just as it should be. ???

Los Broncos
So Jordan is starting at RB? I'm not the coach but Hillis deserves a chance at the starting spot.

KipCorrington25
03-04-2009, 07:03 PM
It's obvious McDaniels will be one of these coaches that has "his" guys and if you aren't one of his guys you're SOL... and it's annoying as hell already.

TonyR
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Yes, they'll compete for roles a members of the running back committee. I'm confident that Hillis will show McD and the staff what he's all about, plus Turner and Dennison are there and know what he can do.

Also, just FYI, this article is from yesterday. Old news in today's world.

BlaK-Argentina
03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
It's obvious McDaniels will be one of these coaches that has "his" guys and if you aren't one of his guys you're SOL... and it's annoying as hell already.

I agree. Hillis is our best RB, a hell of a receiver, a decent blocker and a hard working mofo! If we cut him or don't even use him I will be pissed.

UberBroncoMan
03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Looks like Young will get 3,000 yards this year.

Also... too bad this article is BEFORE we actually signed J.J. on top of LeMont.

Killericon
03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
This is the opinion of the writer, not fact.

slyinky
03-04-2009, 07:19 PM
This is just speculation. This new regime has obviously shown already that they don't communicate much with the press. Also, I just can't imagine that after seeing the tapes of Hillis this past season that McDaniels isn't considering using him in a prominent role. The guy has proven to be a very effective weapon both as a rusher and receiver.

Kaylore
This isn't even official. The Broncos don't talk to the press anymore so I can play make believe be just as credible.

Drek
The Denver Post

LINK (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77938)

Can the Post get anything remotely close to right at this point?

tsiguy96
03-04-2009, 07:20 PM

whats sad is thats kinda how it feels. if this isnt an open competition in camp, something is really ****ed up.

Meck77
03-04-2009, 07:25 PM
People.....Competition is good. Let the boys fight it out in camp. It's what it's for. I can't wait to attend a McD camp to be honest.

spdirty
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I think if the wunderkid doesnt cut or trade Hillis by TC then he will make these new mother****ers recognize who the man is around here.

spdirty
03-04-2009, 07:34 PM
People.....Competition is good. Let the boys fight it out in camp. It's what it's for. I can't wait to attend a McD camp to be honest.

Well if Hillis is there it really wont be a competition.

Gcver2ver3
03-04-2009, 07:38 PM
it's March for crying out loud...

even though i don't believe Hillis is expected by McD to be in the regular RB rotation, once camp starts and ends and the smoke clears, McD won't be able to ignore how well Hillis looks totin that pill with the rock in his hands...

Tombstone RJ
03-04-2009, 07:38 PM
The Denver Post

It's the DP, translation: we're pretty much in the dark here.

BroncoBuff
03-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I prefer Hillis, Young and Torain to ... Buckalter, Arrington and Warren.

Popps
03-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Buckhalter is a talented back when healthy. So, it wouldn't surprise me to see him come out as a #1 or #2 RB. The thing about the Patriots system is that they just don't pound the ball the way we used to under Shanahan. It's a much more varied scheme. So, I expect more backs to be used, doing more things.
Us signing this many sort of hints at that, already.

That said, I still believe Hillis is a talented first down runner and to move him into some sort of novelty role would be silly. But, if we have someone who's running more effectively, I won't complain. It's all about the best guys being out there.

If I had to guess, though.. he's going to rise to the top of the coaches consideration very quickly. Arrington isn't a strong between the tackles runner, Buckhalter is injury-prone, Torain is a joke.. and Jordan is very similar to Hillis, though maybe not as good of a pure runner, imo.
So, Hillis will have a chance to contribute.

Competition is a good thing.

Popps
03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
This article also looks a few days old, and the Hillis blurb looks more like a guess, than anything.

I personally very much doubt Torain is much of a factor in the coaches minds, at this point.

theAPAOps5
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Nothing like an old article to get the propaganda juices flowing. :)

tsiguy96
03-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Nothing like an old article to get the propaganda juices flowing. :)

yep. them signing 2 more running backs since this article was posted makes it pretty obvious it will be an open competition.

btw has buckhalter, young, hall, or arrington ever even had 100 carries in a season?

bombay
03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Nothing wrong with competition, but Hillis deserves a good long look. I hope he isn't punished simply because he's a Shanahan pick.

Archer81
03-04-2009, 08:22 PM
http://tinyurl.com/c35gcz

:Broncos:

BroncoInferno
03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I think McD will end up using Hillis similar to what his role was atr Arkansas...a FB/H-back hybrid. He excelled in that role in college, and I think he in the pros too.

tsiguy96
03-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I think McD will end up using Hillis similar to what his role was atr Arkansas...a FB/H-back hybrid. He excelled in that role in college, and I think he in the pros too.

he doesnt use a FB. he did very little statistically in college in that role, why would it be diff in the pros.

TonyR
03-04-2009, 08:31 PM
I wonder if I post an article that's TWO days old how many posts I'll get...

BroncoInferno
03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
he doesnt use a FB.

He uses RBs as receivers, though.

he did very little statistically in college in that role, why would it be diff in the pros.

Wrong. He led Arkansas in receptions as a senior with I believe 50 or thereabouts even with a ****ty QB situation.

Taco John
03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
This article is barely a day old and the news of it got buried by the Jay Cutler ordeal. I'm not certain why anybody feels threatened by the posting of this news, considering there isn't a thread to discuss it. It hilarious that people are offended that this thread got posted.

Personally, I think we should trade Hillis. I don't think Hillis is going to be used like a half back in this system. Just look at New England. He doesn't have the lateral mobility that the prototypical New England back has. I'd bet we could get a conditional third rounder out of the guy. I'd like to keep him, but I just don't see how he fits into the New England scheme. The Patriots carried a single FB on their team last year (Heath Evans), and the guy touched the ball a grand total of 14 times (11 carries, 3 receptions). It would be a crime to relegate a back like Hillis to that.

Taco John
03-04-2009, 08:44 PM

I'd be suprised by that. It seems to me that McDaniels is going to be more inclined to adjust the players to fit his scheme, than to adjust the scheme to fit the players. And for good reason. That scheme has produced results.

Archer81
03-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I'd prefer if he keeps the offensive talent on hand and tailor the system around them, and not the other way around. We'll see how it goes but I hope Hillis sticks around, in my opinion, he is the best all around back the Broncos currently have on the roster.

BroncoInferno
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I'd be suprised by that. It seems to me that McDaniels is going to be more inclined to adjust the players to fit his scheme, than to adjust the scheme to fit the players. And for good reason. That scheme has produced results.

What I'm think of is him sort of being our Kevin Faulk. Now, obviously Faulk and Hillis have a different skill set, but the common trait is great receiving ability. Although Hillis is not your prototypical 3rd down back, I think we might see him in that sort of role. Plus, obviously McD wants guys who fit his system, but I doubt he is THAT inflexible that he wouldn't do some tinkering to account for a player who has a very valuable skill set like Hillis. We'll see I guess.

BroncoInferno
03-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I'd prefer if he keeps the offensive talent on hand and tailor the system around them, and not the other way around.

Well, for all the hand-wringing that's been going on about McD supposedly "blowing up" the offense, from where I'm sitting the key offensive personnel looks exactly the same: Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Scheffler, Stokley, and the OL are still all intact as of this posting. To that, he's added Gaffney and a trio of RBs. Looks to me that he's adding to the arsenal, not pulling an overhaul. Until he ACTUALLY trades or releases one of the above players, how bout we hold our horses on this?

Archer81
03-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Well, for all the hand-wringing that's been going on about McD supposedly "blowing up" the offense, from where I'm sitting the key offensive personnel looks exactly the same: Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Scheffler, Stokley, and the OL are still all intact as of this posting. To that, he's added Gaffney and a trio of RBs. Looks to me that he's adding to the arsenal, not pulling an overhaul. Until he ACTUALLY trades or releases one of the above players, how bout we hold our horses on this?

But as a regular poster on the orangemane, I should be allowed to overreact and start thread after thread questioning reality itself and have someone talk me down from the proverbial edge...

watermock
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
MxDummy is demolishing this offense.

Turner will bolt after next year.

It's going to be nintendo even more now.

I expect a non-sellout next year.

Pony Boy
03-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Nothing wrong with competition, but Hillis deserves a good long look. I hope he isn't punished simply because he's a Shanahan pick.

I think you hit the nail on the head, he's a Shanahan pick. He's trade bait, I think I'm gonna puke. I was working on my "Woo Pig suey"

SportinOne
03-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Hillis is just a great football player. There is no way McDaniels looks at him in camp and decides that he's not even in the top 4 or 5 running backs on this team. If McDaniels releases Hillis i will stop watching the Broncos until he is fired. But that won't happen, because Hillis is just the kind of player that McD is looking for. Selfless, hard working, lunch pail, insert another blue collar reference here... he is that.. partially because he is white and that's how we label white players at skill positions, but REALLY because that's just how he is.

BroncoInferno
03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
MxDummy is demolishing this offense.

Yeah, I know! What, with all those players he's actually gotten rid of...let's see...there's Michael Pittman and, um, uh....so, yeah! He sure is blowin **** up!

Popps
03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
This article is barely a day old and the news of it got buried by the Jay Cutler ordeal. I'm not certain why anybody feels threatened by the posting of this news, considering there isn't a thread to discuss it. It hilarious that people are offended that this thread got posted.

Personally, I think we should trade Hillis. I don't think Hillis is going to be used like a half back in this system. Just look at New England. He doesn't have the lateral mobility that the prototypical New England back has. I'd bet we could get a conditional third rounder out of the guy. I'd like to keep him, but I just don't see how he fits into the New England scheme. The Patriots carried a single FB on their team last year (Heath Evans), and the guy touched the ball a grand total of 14 times (11 carries, 3 receptions). It would be a crime to relegate a back like Hillis to that.

I don't think people are threatened... people just like his style of football and don't want to see him sent elsewhere.

I don't think he brings equal value in trade.

Just depends if McDaniels takes an honest look at him or not. If he does, I can't imagine he won't get consideration for carries/catches.

Put it this way... be brought in Jordan for a reason, and Hillis is just a more talented version of Jordan, imo.

Archer81
03-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Hillis is a low pick, lots of upside, and for the time being a very economical salary. These should = him being a Bronco for awhile.

BABronco
03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Hillis is a low pick, lots of upside, and for the time being a very economical salary. These should = him being a Bronco for awhile.

we can only hope

Pony Boy
03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Hillis is just a great football player. There is no way McDaniels looks at him in camp and decides that he's not even in the top 4 or 5 running backs on this team. If McDaniels releases Hillis i will stop watching the Broncos until he is fired. But that won't happen, because Hillis is just the kind of player that McD is looking for. Selfless, hard working, lunch pail, insert another blue collar reference here... he is that.. partially because he is white and that's how we label white players at skill positions, but REALLY because that's just how he is.

The last white running back to gain 1000yds was Craig James 1985. Hillis will get a 1000 somewhere !!

HAT
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Personally, I think we should trade Hillis. .

Wow Taco, you are all over the place. So let me get this straight...competition is only good at the QB position? I don't feel like digging through the search function right now but man oh man, This statement is cracking me up coming from you.

Taco John
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Wow Taco, you are all over the place. So let me get this straight...competition is only good at the QB position? I don't feel like digging through the search function right now but man oh man, This statement is cracking me up coming from you.

Dig away.

I love Hillis, but he doesn't fit in the Patriot system. I would rather get what we can for him, and pick up another linebacker or defensive tackle. We have a lot of bodies to fill on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think that everybody understands just how many players we still need on defense to make the transistion to a 3-4. We've got a long ways to go.

I'd love to see Hillis compete for the job, but I'm not convinced that he's going to get a fair shot, and we'll get more value out of him if we trade him now than if we tried to do it in August. Right now, Josh seems determined to bring in players that fit his offensive scheme rather than adjust the scheme to fit the players. This leaves two players on our offense in particular sticking out like a sore thumb: Scheffler and Hillis. I don't like it any more than anyone else, because I believed that we were within two years of being a Superbowl contender under Shanahan. But the new day is dawned and if there's one thing that has been made crystal clear in Dove Valley, it's that there are no sacred cows.

Dagmar
03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
LINK (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77938)

Can the Post get anything remotely close to right at this point?

They don't have to, they have no competition anymore.

GreatBronco16
03-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I believed that we were within two years of being a Superbowl contender under Shanahan.

http://www.bangcartoon.com/2004/poston.htm

When you get to the part when they start laughing, that is the reaction from that comment.

Broncoman13
03-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Assuming McD doesn't close camp to the public and media.

Taco John
03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2004/poston.htm

When you get to the part when they start laughing, that is the reaction from that comment.

That doesn't bother me any. I spent years being laughed at in school when I said Elway was the best quarterback in the game. Getting laughed at on the Internet for believing that we we're headed in the right direction pales in comparison.

BroncoMan4ever
03-04-2009, 10:17 PM
we are going to depend on 2 guys who are injured every other game to be our starting RB and relegate the one good RB on the roster be a role player. i swear it seems to be 1 step forward 2 steps back with McDaniels.

bring in Dawkins, try to trade Jay
bring in Davis, sign a new LS
try to get Ward, sign Arrington

just stupidity on his part.

extralife
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Why sign a bunch of scrub backs? We already have our own scrubs and two possible promising youngsters. Smells like McD doing everything he can to make sure the team is his. I'm just...not a fan. We'll see what happens when camp rolls around.

tsiguy96
03-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Why sign a bunch of scrub backs? We already have our own scrubs and two possible promising youngsters. Smells like McD doing everything he can to make sure the team is his. I'm just...not a fan. We'll see what happens when camp rolls around.

im hoping they are just here for competition, im sure well draft a back too. my biggest fear is hillis wont get a legit shot at RB, even though he was the most productive one on the roster last year.

SouthStndJunkie
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
McDaniels will get Hillis on the field.

I bet he catches a lot of passes in this offense.

BroncoBuff
03-04-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm gonna give Mac some slack here ... he's an offensive guy. Besides, they're not exactly scrubs. I don't care much for Arrington, but Buckalter and Jordan are both decent backs. I'll sum up my agreement with you this way:

Hillis, Torain, Young > Jordan, Buckhalter, Arrington

extralife
03-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I wonder if McDaniels talked to Turner and Dennison regarding his vision for the running game and the kind of backs he wanted. I'd have let those guys continue doing their thing, but this is clearly the Patriot model; bring in a bunch of guys, mostly older, throw them behind a line at random times and let them run forward until they fall down.

Archer81
03-04-2009, 11:32 PM
McDaniels will get Hillis on the field.

I bet he catches a lot of passes in this offense.

I would actually consider Hillis the perfect back for a one back set. He can make his own holes, is creative enough in space and has great hands. Also, for a big man, he does have some wheels.

hambone13
03-05-2009, 04:58 AM

I can't think of anyone in football that I've seen in the last 5 years that is "Hillis". The only sports figure I can see even being close to what I believe Hillis to be is from hockey. Hillis is a Chris Drury type player. Drury is a hockey player and Hillis is a football player. Their positions and the systems shouldn't matter to any coach that's worth a s**t in talent evaluation. If McDaniels trades Hillis, then everything I have come to believe that is outstanding about the Patriots organization is Arabic to me. If McDaniels is the offensive mind that he is touted and he releases a real, down to earth versatile offensive FOOTBALL player like Hillis, then I need to learn Arabic because it'll all be Greek to me.

Before he got hurt, when he had the opportunity and we NEEDED him, how many holes did his heart, skill, desire, hands, and just enough power dig us out of? I mean, he's Mike Alstott with wheels on 4th and 1.9, Walter Payton when he sees a hit coming his way, Brian Westbrook when he has to make a 1 hander and then a critical cut for just enough YAC, Lorenzo Neal when you need an outstanding lead block and Marvin Harrison when it comes to humility and dedication to the team. I'm not saying he's as talented as any of these references, I'm just saying he's Hillis and all you have to do is watch the game's he affected, not just the film. Who am I going to rely on on 4th and 2 to make the critical block, catch or rush? Hillis. I don't know that there's another player in the league that's as versatile and dependable a football player. Maybe I have a man crush but someone please tell me? I'm open to suggestions.

If McD let's Hillis go, it will be like Chris Drury being dealt to the Kings.....IMHO. He'll regret it for the rest of his coaching career.

barryr
03-05-2009, 06:24 AM
My guess is another reason Scheffler may be on the block is the thought of using Hillis in a FB/HB role so he's on the field despite not being used at RB so much.

dbfan21
03-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Yes, they'll compete for roles a members of the running back committee. I'm confident that Hillis will show McD and the staff what he's all about, plus Turner and Dennison are there and know what he can do.

Also, just FYI, this article is from yesterday. Old news in today's world.

Exactly. Once Hillis gets a chance to show what he can do, he will earn a significant role on this team. He's too talented to cast off. If anything, Selvin should be hitting the gym/track as we speak.

If I had to wager on it, there's no way (barring injury) Young makes this team. Especially since the Arrington deal is now in place...

vancejohnson82
03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
i wouldnt mind seeing Hillis used like Dallas Clark....(trust me, I've been trying to think of an African American back because we all know he gets compares to white guys all the time, but I'm brainfarting)

lines up as an H-back and an offset fullback sometimes....

we can always transition him into tailback too on certain plays...he brings so much versatility...he better be on the roster

Beantown Bronco
03-05-2009, 07:56 AM
I would actually consider Hillis the perfect back for a one back set. He can make his own holes.....

A skill Travis Henry will no doubt be forced to develop over the coming years....

Bronco Yoda
03-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Dig away.

I love Hillis, but he doesn't fit in the Patriot system. I would rather get what we can for him, and pick up another linebacker or defensive tackle. We have a lot of bodies to fill on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think that everybody understands just how many players we still need on defense to make the transistion to a 3-4. We've got a long ways to go.

I'd love to see Hillis compete for the job, but I'm not convinced that he's going to get a fair shot, and we'll get more value out of him if we trade him now than if we tried to do it in August. Right now, Josh seems determined to bring in players that fit his offensive scheme rather than adjust the scheme to fit the players. This leaves two players on our offense in particular sticking out like a sore thumb: Scheffler and Hillis. I don't like it any more than anyone else, because I believed that we were within two years of being a Superbowl contender under Shanahan. But the new day is dawned and if there's one thing that has been made crystal clear in Dove Valley, it's that there are no sacred cows.

Well this is good news! If TJ doesn't think he'll get a shot then Hillis is a shoe-in for sure :rofl: :giggle:

McD comes from the school of versatility and value over specialization and flavor clowns. I'd be really surprised if Hillis doesn't become McD's favorite Valentine.

montrose
03-05-2009, 08:07 AM
The Post is just speculating in putting the term role position in there. With that, who knows what'll happen. Because Hillis can play FB, a position McDaniels rarely uses, Josh may see value in keeping him as a FB knowing he brings a unique skill set that includes pass-receiving - critical in this offense.

bowtown
03-05-2009, 08:45 AM
People, settle down. It really doesn't matter where Hillis is lined up or situated on the depth chart at the begninning of the season. By week 4, Buckhalter, Jordan, and Torain will all be in IR and Hillis will be our featured back again.

Hogan11
03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
It's apparant that Hillis will be stuck at fullback, no legit shot at the starting RB position, just accept it and move on.

ZONA
03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Yup - he will be a role player and that role will be featured back. Please watch the videos again and look HARD. Look at that frickin one handed catch from college. Look at the foot work and balance, dancing along the sidelines to stay in bounds for extra yards. Look at him when he is tackled, NEVER goes backwards. On all the plays, there is only one guy who gets him from behind, and that was a CB chasing him down. He's not a blazing fast back but the man can frickin run. Watch him at the goal line diving for the pylon and scoring the TD's. Watch how he picks the right hole to run through almost every single stinking time. And please tell me what other back on our team would have blasted that 260 pound Browns LB (#95) back 7 yards and get the first down on that play? That play right there just seals the deal. If you can't get pumped after watched that schit man, you don't like football.

If you ask me, once McD sees in person this guy getting it done on the field and the way he just pounds the other team, he can't say no. It just feels good watching it.

Watch the videos - all of them. Then tell me this guy isn't the best back we have. Sheeeiit. :strong:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CI8jgpz_K_g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CI8jgpz_K_g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ih8WKX-Xmbo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ih8WKX-Xmbo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cSjDe0WDuCg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cSjDe0WDuCg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Popps
03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
It's apparant that Hillis will be stuck at fullback, no legit shot at the starting RB position, just accept it and move on.

Just depends, Hogan. Shanahan thought the same thing and once Hillis got a carry, I don't think the rest of our RBs combined got 10 carries until he was hurt.

If McDaniels gives him a shot, he'll have a very hard time justifying not feeding him 10-15 carries a game.

Those highlights above don't even show his best work from last year. The Jets game erases any questions about whether or not he's feature-back material.

The problem with him remains... he doesn't look like your prototypical feature back. He's big, a little stocky and has a fullback history. But, look at his footwork. Pay attention to his cuts, his vision, how he moves in the open field and behind the LOS.

People want to confuse this guy with an Alstott-type back, and it's just not the case. He's just a freaky athlete and would be most effective running the ball on first downs.

BroncoInferno
03-05-2009, 04:17 PM
This whole thread is pretty surreal but typical and not surprising for this board. People are speaking of Hillis as if he's some combination of Earl Campbell and Roger Craig based essentially on three games. Many of these same people are trashing Cassel as a one hit wonder even though he has a full season under his belt. I like what I've seen from Hillis, too, but c'mon, there was actually someone on this thread who threatened to abandon the team if he's traded. Can we try to have a little perspective, people?

Old Dude
03-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Biggest problem I have with Hillis is his durability. Not because he's not tough. He's tough as nails. It's because, from what I've seen, the dude just goes all out. He will sacrifice himself to make any kind of play.

Okay, I love that. That's the kind of guy you want to see succeed. Davis was like that (but more talented to start with.) But I just can't see Hillis taking that kind of punishment game after game.

I'd rather see him in an RBBC role, and I think that's exactly where he'll be.

listopencil
03-05-2009, 06:24 PM
...there was actually someone on this thread who threatened to abandon the team if he's traded...

We really don't know what this team is going to look like. We have indicators, but we won't really know until the season starts. As far as I'm concerned though-if McD actually is casting Hillis aside then McD is a piece of ****. He's a ****ing moron and I'll be happy when he's eventually fired.

Popps
03-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Biggest problem I have with Hillis is his durability. Not because he's not tough. He's tough as nails. It's because, from what I've seen, the dude just goes all out. He will sacrifice himself to make any kind of play.

Okay, I love that. That's the kind of guy you want to see succeed. Davis was like that (but more talented to start with.) But I just can't see Hillis taking that kind of punishment game after game.

I'd rather see him in an RBBC role, and I think that's exactly where he'll be.

Blove brought this concern up and I think it's valid, though I also think he's probably coachable, and could be taught how to avoid contact when it's not beneficial, or to get out of bounds.

Also agree on RBBC, though. He should take 1st down carries as well as short yardage, of course. 12-15 carries a game, sometimes more.

cutthemdown
03-05-2009, 06:37 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing Hillis used like Dallas Clark....(trust me, I've been trying to think of an African American back because we all know he gets compares to white guys all the time, but I'm brainfarting)

lines up as an H-back and an offset fullback sometimes....

we can always transition him into tailback too on certain plays...he brings so much versatility...he better be on the roster

He would probably be good at that but what if that's no what Mcdaniels likes to do. You don't want Mcdaniels to try and be shanny, or copy indy? You want him to have a real shot at building the type of team he feels he can win it all with. Broncos were what 16th in scoring? What he may be thinking is if he can slightly improve defense, cut down on turnovers, play better special teams, he can improve on the Broncos ratio of points for and points against from last yr.

Really we have so many holes it would have been impossible to really do it all in one offseason. I like Hillis, but like I said he's hurt right now and Mcdaniels probably wants to have lots of options at RB.

As far as an HBack having a big role I don't see it. Broncos will be in 3 WR and IMO Mcdaniels wants them all true wr. The TE's will block and the Rbs will really get into the passing game.

Broncos had what like 400 yrds to RBs last yr? Patriots had almost 800. It doesn't sound like a lot but there are a lot of converted 3rd downs in those 400 yrds.

Meck77
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Assuming McD doesn't close camp to the public and media.

Camp will not be closed to the public from what I was told by someone I know that works for the Broncos.

ZONA
03-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Durability is so over played it's ridiculous. Yes the NFL is a very physical game but they also get a week to rest in between games. Young guys can handle the load better then you think. TD never had a problem toting the rock and being the full time back. And I don't care what anybody says, he didn't get worn out. He got injured when a player flew into the side of his knee and blew it up. Hillis could carry the rock 25 times a game with no problem. Yeah, he is a physical runner but it hurts worse to get ran into then it does to run into somebody. He does an excellent job with forward lean and compacting his body before contact. That's why you see guys bounce off him backwards and not vise versa. He played FB for gawd sake. How many times do we hear anybody talking about FB by committee? None. We expect them to go slam into LB's all game long but rotate the RB's so they stay fresh.

I'm tellin you all, Hillis will be toting the rock 20 times a game by the 3rd week when McDunse has seen for himself, running plays in his system, what a stud this guy is.

And yes there is reason to love him. He didn't not see a ton of action but the man has dominated in college and the pros when his number was called. It's not like he had great stats because he lines up against the Broncos D for 3 games, he was playing against some decent defensive players and showcasing alot of different skills while doing so. Alot of think he deserves the shot to show the same thing but prove he can do it often. Some of you guys who don't even think he should be here are blind.