GoHAM
03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11835707

Arrington the Broncos' third free-agent TB
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/04/2009 02:58:56 PM MST
Updated: 03/04/2009 03:10:00 PM MST

A few hours after the Broncos signed Lamont Jordan to a two-year, $2.5 million contract, the team finally agreed to the terms of a four-year, $10 million contract with J.J. Arrington.

With former Philadelphia Eagle Correll Buckhalter signed Friday, the Broncos have added three free-agent running backs.

It was the same arrangement reached last Friday, but the deal was hung up for a few days as the two sides haggled over guaranteed money.

Jordan, 30, received a $500,000 signing bonus. Jordan played last season for the New England Patriots and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who is now the Broncos head coach.

By signing three tailbacks, McDaniels is bringing another piece of the New England offensive formula to Denver. The Pats often played three tailbacks, and rarely use a 25-carry workhorse during a game. Buckhalter likely remain as the Broncos' starting tailback with the more powerful Jordan getting a few series and short-yardage carries. Arrington will compete for the third-down, pass-receiving role.

The signings all but assure current Bronco free-agent tailbacks Michael Pittman and Tatum Bell won't return. It also means the Broncos' holdover tailback stable of Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis will have to compete for a roster spot during training camp.

Arrington and Jordan boost the Broncos' free-agent take to 11 players since Friday. And more are coming. The Broncos are visiting today with veteran quarterback Chris Simms, who would become the backup to Jay Cutler. The team also has a three-year, $4.5 million offer sheet signed with restricted free agent David Anderson of the Houston Texans. Houston has until Friday to either match the Broncos' offer or work out a trade.

At this rate, Cutler may be the only Broncos player who returns for 2009.

No team has been more active in free agency than the Broncos, although the total contractual commitments to the 11 players, including Anderson, is $100.12 million, or about what the Washington Redskins gave $100 million man Albert Haynesworth

TonyR
03-04-2009, 03:20 PM
And Peterson was re-signed.

PETERSON STAYS PUT IN DENVER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 4:42 p.m. EST
The Broncos have taken a break from signing free agents from other teams to keep one of their own.

Per a league source, defensive lineman Kenny Peterson has agreed to terms with the club on a three-year deal.

Peterson, a six-year veteran, was a third-round pick of the Packers in 2003. He was cut by Green Bay in September 2006, and has spent the last three seasons with the Broncos.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/04/peterson-stays-put-in-denver/

Here's PFT's take on Arrington:

ARRINGTON DOES DEAL WITH BRONCOS, AFTER ALL
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 5:15 p.m. EST
Itís been a strange week for the Broncos. Theyíve signed a slew of new free agents and nearly traded away their franchise quarterback.

Itís been an even stranger week for running back J.J. Arrington. After having a deal in place with the Broncos, the thing fell through. But now, itís back on.

According to a league source, the Broncos have again agreed to terms with Arrington, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

Arrington is the third running back that new coach Josh McDaniels and new G.M. Brian Xanders have signed, joining Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan.

A league source tells us that the Broncos initially were troubled by a meniscus injury in Arringtonís knee. The deal fell apart over guaranteed money (or, more accurately, the lack of it).

But the knee has since checked out, and the deal was able to be finalized.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/04/arrington-does-deal-with-broncos-after-all/

Hotrod
03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I love it

1. Royal get your ass off the field during ST's
2. We are going to sign all the RBs and force everyone else to trade with us brilliant

Killericon
Selvin Young is gone.

gyldenlove
I love it

2. We are going to sign all the RBs and force everyone else to trade with us brilliant

Agree!

socalorado
So DEN has a Kick Returner

BigPlayShay
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Hillis will be used as a utility guy / H-Back.

Man-Goblin
03-04-2009, 03:24 PM
$100 mill in contracts...you gutless drunk!

SoDak Bronco
wow- Eddie Mac do we have any more money to spend?

BabyTO
How many RB's do we have righ now? 52? Jesus Christ. You'd think with the way our running game works this idiot of a HC would focus on defense instead of bringing in 50 more running backs.

Rohirrim
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I guess it all comes down to training camp.

As it should be.

socalorado
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
How many RB's do we have righ now? 52? Jesus Christ. You'd think with the way our running game works this idiot of a HC would focus on defense instead of bringing in 50 more running backs.

Well. DEN did lose 70 RBs to injury last season, so......

Smiling Assassin27
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
I guess it all comes down to training camp.

As it should be.

And somebody implied he didn't suck at Cal...:yayaya:

TonyR
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
The signings all but assure current Bronco free-agent tailbacks Michael Pittman and Tatum Bell won't return. It also means the Broncos' holdover tailback stable of Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis will have to compete for a roster spot during training camp.

I HATE this spin that Hillis isn't guaranteed to make the team. This guy WILL be back on the team. Right? Please tell me I'm right.

Old Dude
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Go ahead and bring on the meat grinder. We got tailbacks to feed it all day long.

Tombstone RJ
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11835707

Arrington the Broncos' third free-agent TB
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/04/2009 02:58:56 PM MST
Updated: 03/04/2009 03:10:00 PM MST

A few hours after the Broncos signed Lamont Jordan to a two-year, $2.5 million contract, the team finally agreed to the terms of a four-year, $10 million contract with J.J. Arrington.

With former Philadelphia Eagle Correll Buckhalter signed Friday, the Broncos have added three free-agent running backs.

It was the same arrangement reached last Friday, but the deal was hung up for a few days as the two sides haggled over guaranteed money.

Jordan, 30, received a $500,000 signing bonus. Jordan played last season for the New England Patriots and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who is now the Broncos head coach.

By signing three tailbacks, McDaniels is bringing another piece of the New England offensive formula to Denver. The Pats often played three tailbacks, and rarely use a 25-carry workhorse during a game. Buckhalter likely remain as the Broncos' starting tailback with the more powerful Jordan getting a few series and short-yardage carries. Arrington will compete for the third-down, pass-receiving role.

Arrington and Jordan boost the Broncos' free-agent take to 11 players since Friday. And more are coming. The Broncos are visiting today with veteran quarterback Chris Simms, who would become the backup to Jay Cutler. The team also has a three-year, $4.5 million offer sheet signed with restricted free agent David Anderson of the Houston Texans. Houston has until Friday to either match the Broncos' offer or work out a trade.

At this rate, Cutler may be the only Broncos player who returns for 2009.

No team has been more active in free agency than the Broncos, although the total contractual commitments to the 11 players, including Anderson, is $100.12 million, or about what the Washington Redskins gave $100 million man Albert Haynesworth

BLAH-HA-HA-HA! Wow, that's just one big sign that there is a huge philosophical difference between how a team like the Broncos are doing business, and how a team like the Skins are doing business.

Who wants to wager on which team gets to the big show first?

Popcorn Sutton
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Selvin Young is gone.

Yeap.

broncocalijohn
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I think Mc is going to use the popular Wishbone backfield. Cutler is going from 4k yards passing to about 800. But hey, ints will be going down to almost nil.

Old Dude
03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
We should suit up Dortoh with a free-agent tailback sign around his neck and see if McDaniels signs him.

Br0nc0Buster
03-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Hmm I anticipate a Hillis/Buck/Jordan backfield

Arringtone will play special teams as he should, because he is nothing special at RB, also he cant catch all that well which happens to be strong suites of Hillis/Buck/Jordan

I dont know what the hell is gonna happen to Torain, stinks though cuz he looked good in that half a game he played

watermock
03-04-2009, 03:35 PM
11 scrubs or players past their prime....

no-pseudo-fan
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
So I am guessing that we will not be drafting any offensive players.

SureShot
03-04-2009, 03:38 PM
11 scrubs or players past their prime....

Mock wins for best avatar.:thumbs:

SonOfLe-loLang
03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I dont see Selvin or Torain making the team...and im completely fine with that. Wouldnt shock me if Lamont didnt either

BABronco
03-04-2009, 03:41 PM

oh man ... just noticed that hahaha :rofl:

Popps
03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Selvin Young is gone.

Works for me.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. There's going to be heavy competition for carries next year.

Tombstone RJ

I'm kinda down with your boob mojo... nice sig. :thumbs:

Gcver2ver3

guys we need to start preparing for the chance that Hillis is not in McD's plans as a tailback...

essentially Jordan does the same things Hillis does (maybe not as well but nonetheless)...they both are big backs with power that catch the ball well...

i think at this point it's a better chance that our rotation is Buck/Jordan/Arrington than Hillis/Buck/Jordan...

Buck starts...Jordan gets goal lines and relief to Buck...JJ third down change of pace...

that's my expectation...

ZONA
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM

Arringtone will play special teams as he should, because he is nothing special at RB, also he cant catch all that well which happens to be strong suites of Hillis/Buck/Jordan

I dont know what the hell is gonna happen to Torain, stinks though cuz he looked good in that half a game he played

I think it's safe to assume Torrain will be the bottom feeder on the depth chart. He isn't great at catching balls so I see him playing alot of special teams this year if he makes the club at all.

I'm not worried about Hillis at all. I think he is still the back that offers the most as far as talent goes. He catches the ball like a WR, blocks like an ex full back (hahaha) and runs hard and smart. I think he will outperform all the backs in camp and prove he should be the feature back. But I do like how we are loading up on backs that have better talent then what we had. I would love to spell Hillis often so he is fresh at the end.

This is gonna be one majorly exciting camp to watch, holy moly. Once FA is finished and the draft is over, we could easily have 20 new players on this team. Now that is what you call an OVERHAUL.

Garcia Bronco
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM

We already have one in Royal. He's better than Arrington anyday of the week.

eddie mac
03-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I'd presume we went back to the Arrington deal as we want him as a returner.

The late offer we put in for Leonhard was made in similar circumstances considering he only got $6m over 3 years with a $1m Signing Bonus.

Old Dude
03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Just as an aside .. if fantasy football analysts hated Shanahan, they are gonna hate
McDaniels even more.

Br0nc0Buster
03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
guys we need to start preparing for the chance that Hillis is not in McD's plans as a tailback...

essentially Jordan does the same things Hillis does (maybe not as well but nonetheless)...they both are big backs with power that catch the ball well...

i think at this point it's a better chance that our rotation is Buck/Jordan/Arrington than Hillis/Buck/Jordan...

Buck starts...Jordan gets goal lines and relief to Buck...JJ third down change of pace...

that's my expectation...

Well yeah Jordan and Hillis are similar backs, but Hillis is better at everything Jordan does.
He is more powerful, and can catch better.
I do think Buck might start, but it seems we value RBs that can catch well
I dont think Arrington really gets any high remarks in that area

I dont know what Josh is thinking, but I think it would suit us best to keep Hillis in the rotation and keep JJ on special teams

Gcver2ver3
03-04-2009, 03:50 PM

eh...avg wise they're about the same although JJ did take one tothe house last season...

JJ is better suited for KR duties for us esp since Eddie Rroyal will be extra busy this year catching what i believe top be 100 + grabs this season granted he stays healthy...

Gcver2ver3
03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Well yeah Jordan and Hillis are similar backs, but Hillis is better at everything Jordan does.

I dont know what Josh is thinking, but I think it would suit us best to keep Hillis in the rotation and keep JJ on special teams

well i stated in my post that i believe Hillis does them better....

but thats just our opinion...

let's try and keep in mind that it's mainly Broncos fans that see Hillis as Earl Campbell...everyone else sees Brad Hoover/Chris Cooley...

anyway, the fact that they signed JJ and Jordan and Buck should be somewhat of an indicator that Hillis will not be our primary ball carrier...

Tombstone RJ
03-04-2009, 03:55 PM

I think what McX is thinking is this: "we don't have to spend a draft pick on a RB." I could be wrong of course.

dbfan4life
03-04-2009, 03:56 PM
I love it

LOL

I can imagine a team in need of a running back:

"Um, we need a running back. Who's out there?"

"Denver has 17 of 'em, maybe we should call."

titan
03-04-2009, 04:02 PM

I hope they still keep Royal on punt returns. He really didn't show it last year but he was a great punt returner in college. I'm all for keeping Royal off of kickoff returns and use Arrington instead - bigger chance of injury on kickoffs.

Hotrod
03-04-2009, 04:04 PM

Arrington is pretty damn good and it lets Royal take a seat once in awhile. I love it.

Old Dude
03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
And here I thought this might be a dull offseason.

- Shanny fired.

- Everyone else fired.

- New coach & staff.

- Cuts galore.

- Tradegate.

- Marshall gets arrested in record-breaking time.

- Free agent signings out the yin yang.

And we haven't even gotten to draft day.

elsid13
03-04-2009, 04:12 PM
We should suit up Dortoh with a free-agent tailback sign around his neck and see if McDaniels signs him.

If we tattoo and N and E on his ass cheeks, then the answer is yes.

Hotrod
03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
If we tattoo and N and E on his ass cheeks, then the answer is yes.

I already have an "exit only" tattoo on my ass.

eddie mac
03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Apparently we were initially worried about an old injury.

This from PFT

A league source tells us that the Broncos initially were troubled by a meniscus injury in Arrington’s knee. The deal fell apart over guaranteed money (or, more accurately, the lack of it).

But the knee has since checked out, and the deal was able to be finalized.

Bob
03-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I HATE this spin that Hillis isn't guaranteed to make the team. This guy WILL be back on the team. Right? Please tell me I'm right.

If he can compete with all these guys, he will be fine, I dont know if "he fits the new system" but think he is better than all of them.

ZONA
03-04-2009, 06:44 PM
well i stated in my post that i believe Hillis does them better....

but thats just our opinion...

let's try and keep in mind that it's mainly Broncos fans that see Hillis as Earl Campbell...everyone else sees Brad Hoover/Chris Cooley...

anyway, the fact that they signed JJ and Jordan and Buck should be somewhat of an indicator that Hillis will not be our primary ball carrier...

I don't think that is actually true. My buddy is a Jets and Cards fan and comes over to watch games with me quite a bit. He saw Hillis during that 3 game stretch and was freaking out. Saying he was like a faster more athletic John Riggins. Nothing homerism about it mate. Don't ever say that Hills is like Cooley. Hillis actually has a set of hands that almost any WR in the leauge would take, feet like a dancer and just all around more athleticism then Cooley or Hoover.

DBroncos4life
03-04-2009, 06:49 PM

I think the only people that are safe are the people McD signed.

GoHAM
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I think the only people that are safe are the people McD signed.

That's the truth.

I'm thinking McKid knew that if he succeeded w/ Shanny's inherited roster on offense and his (McKid's) changes on defense everybody would attribute the success in part to Shanny. McKid at least has balls to put his stamp all over the team w/ no sacred cows, so that way any results good or bad can be entirely laid at his feet. Whether or not this is a smart thing to do remains to be seen.

DBroncos4life
03-04-2009, 07:25 PM
That's the truth.

I'm thinking McKid knew that if he succeeded w/ Shanny's inherited roster on offense and his (McKid's) changes on defense everybody would attribute the success in part to Shanny. McKid at least has balls to put his stamp all over the team w/ no sacred cows, so that way any results good or bad can be entirely laid at his feet. Whether or not this is a smart thing to do remains to be seen.

Thats the number one reason I think that if it goes bad he will be canned after one year. There are many types of leaders in the world and I just don't agree with his style. Some here might like it but I think its the fastest way to get the fan base and players to turn on him and if it continues it could get ugly. I like some of the moves he has made but others don't impress me.

Bob
03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Thats the number one reason I think that if it goes bad he will be canned after one year. There are many types of leaders in the world and I just don't agree with his style. Some here might like it but I think its the fastest way to get the fan base and players to turn on him and if it continues it could get ugly. I like some of the moves he has made but others don't impress me.

If hes canned after one year, I hear Shanny might be available...:clown:

UberBroncoMan
03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
If hes canned after one year, I hear Shanny might be available...:clown:

Kyle Shanahan? ;)

cutthemdown
03-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I think Hillis can beat Jordan out but we will see.

DBroncos4life
03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I think Hillis can beat Jordan out but we will see.

I sure hope he can beat out a 30 year old back that avgs less then 500 yards per season.

barryr
03-05-2009, 06:28 AM
I think the RB moves mean not only Pittman, but Young is gone and maybe Hall. Arrington can return kicks and that's likely what he'll do for the Broncos at the very least. Torrain could be in trouble too unless he can play special teams.

dbfan21
03-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Kyle Shanahan? ;)

I freakin LOVE your avatar! Nice work, Uber!!^5