PDA

View Full Version : Broncos agree to 2 year deal with LaMont Jordan

montrose
03-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Hey guys, just found out the Broncos have agreed to a two-year deal with LaMont Jordan. I was told $2.5 million over the deal.

Gcver2ver3
03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
well power running won't be our problem in 09...

ludo21
03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
meh... Id rather we didnt botch the JJ deal.

frerottenextelway
03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
At least this year if we lose 7 running backs we'll still have like 5 left.

JCMElway
03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Goal line guy in the style of a Patriots RB. And he must have come at the right price too.

I thought we might re-sign Pittman. Not anymore......

This signing doesn't move me one way or the other. We'll see how he does.

broncofan2438
03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
meh... Id rather we didnt botch the JJ deal.

Yea, I don't understand what happened. I thought JJ was a better back, maybe Jordan was just cheaper

theAPAOps5
03-04-2009, 08:21 AM
You ****ing idiot McDummystoopidHead. Don't you know the best teams take cast off DL and win the Superbowl. Stupid dummy.

Smiling Assassin27
i'm underwhelmed

24champ
It was reported on Fox 31 Good Morning Colorado about 30 minutes ago by Josina.

Taco John
You get the sense that Hillis might end up on the trading block.

Rohirrim
03-04-2009, 08:22 AM
The Human Bowling Ball!

Atlas
03-04-2009, 08:23 AM
YUCk, Jesus, Hillis brings more to the table than this washup. Just keep bringing in average guys to compete with the average guys already on the roster is stupid. I'd rather they go get someone young that has a future.

lex
03-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Fire McDaniels!

theAPAOps5
03-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Fire McDaniels!

BAN STUPID POSTERS

bowtown
03-04-2009, 08:26 AM

No, I get the sense that any one of these guys could end up on IR, just like last year's crop, since they are all paper frail, so they are trying to stock up. Jordan and Buckhalter have both been on Turner's wish list forever. This is just us taking the oppertunity to grab them and see if they can contribute.

crowebomber
03-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Lamont Jordan = Michael Pittman

baja
03-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Haven't you stirred up enough traffic for one week. ;D

montrose
03-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Maybe, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Hillis/Buckhalter/Jordan RBBC. Because Hillis can double as a FB, and McDaniels rarely uses the spot - in addition to Peyton only having a 7th round pick's salary - he might have a chance to stick. Hillis has great pass catching skills and some great potential as a blocker too. Hopefully he sticks around because he seems to be the type of versatile, tough team-first guy that is to define the new Denver Broncos.

cousinal11
03-04-2009, 08:29 AM
I stated earlier in another thread that I'm getting the feeling Hillis will never be utilized the way I had envisioned.

Hope I'm wrong. Didn't one of the Goodman's say he had the best hands they had ever seen?

BroncoFiend
03-04-2009, 08:31 AM

If he is, I'm sure it's because McDaniels is trying to further step on Cutler and put him in his place, right TJ? j/k

I don't know why we can't just have Hillis as our 20-25 carries a game guy, but apparently people who know a lot more than I do think an H-Back/Dallas Clark type is more of the role Hillis fits best.

With the 'Patriot Way' loving pass receiving backs, I can't see any way how Hillis won't be a big part of the offense next year.

Gcver2ver3
03-04-2009, 08:33 AM

no...we wouldn't get anything for him...

Broncos Brazil
03-04-2009, 08:36 AM
http://www.fuelindustries.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/superbowl-trophy.jpg

Old Dude
03-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm fine with this. Depth, low risk and experience. He'll probably take his turn getting banged up, but they all will.

bowtown
03-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Yea, I don't understand what happened. I thought JJ was a better back, maybe Jordan was just cheaper

JJ is totally worthless. Softest running back in the game. I'm thrilled that deal fell through.

HILife
03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Hey guys, just found out the Broncos have agreed to a two-year deal with LaMont Jordan. I was told $2.5 million over the deal.

Good signing. He can catch passes out the backfield. I think one year he lead Oakland with the most rec.Hilarious! Sorry I find it funny the RB is the leading reciever. He also be good in goalline.

socalorado
03-04-2009, 08:40 AM
JJ is totally worthless. Softest running back in the game. I'm thrilled that deal fell through.

As am i. JJ is horrible. I am sure they were trying to get him for Kick returns.
As for Jordan. low risk, depth. It will be needed as the season wears on.

Kaylore
03-04-2009, 08:40 AM

That would be a stupid move.

HILife
03-04-2009, 08:41 AM

no, he is a good recieving FB. McNuggets values that. Col. Xanders wil listen to McNuggets and keep Hillis.......This place is looking more and more like a fast food resturant.

Atlas
03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Lamont Jordan = Michael Pittman

Exactly. So why let Pittman go and pay millions for this turd? Both Pope and Pittman could have done what is going to be asked of Jordan and they were a lot cheaper.

Garcia Bronco
03-04-2009, 08:45 AM

Which I just can't beleive

outdoor_miner
03-04-2009, 08:46 AM

He'd be worth nothing. I get more of the sense that Torrain is at risk of not making the team. I think Hillis fits perfectly into the Pats system catching passes out of the backfield. And, he's hopefully too young to be considered one of "Shanahan's guys", which apparently McDaniels wants to rid the team of at all costs. :)

I think Torrain will have to do amazing things in training camp to sniff the final roster.

broncofan7
03-04-2009, 08:46 AM

Jordan >>>>>>>>>>>>> Arrington

SoDak Bronco
03-04-2009, 08:47 AM
why would we trade a 7th round running back from last year? His contract is tiny and his upside is huge. That would be crazy, I am not sure where you are getting this? Just trying to throw $hit against the wall and see if it sticks?

montrose
03-04-2009, 08:49 AM
My freshman year in high school, LaMont was the state's top guy in the 100. I can't tell you how crazy it was seeing this big @$$ dude get down in the blocks and outrun guys he outweighed by what looked like about 50 pounds.

outdoor_miner
03-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Exactly. So why let Pittman go and pay millions for this turd? Both Pope and Pittman could have done what is going to be asked of Jordan and they were a lot cheaper.

As I said in another thread, these moves to bring in ex-Patriots are about the locker room. McDaniels wants guys who know what he's trying to do and can be representative of the "culture change" that he is trying to instill. In a scenario like this, who cares? Pittman or Jordan... neither one is going to set the world on fire. Why not bring in a guy who already knows the system? It helps with the transition...

Kaylore
03-04-2009, 08:50 AM
The best thing about signing Jordan is it pisses off Greasy Al. The two teams he didn't want Jordan to go to were the Patriots and the Broncos, and now he's played for both. Hilarious!

tsiguy96
03-04-2009, 08:51 AM
this is such a weird offseason, but i get the feeling a lot of these RBs wont make it out of TC. sad day for hillis, but as long as he gets a fair shake at RB in camp i have no doubt he will win.

Atlas
03-04-2009, 08:53 AM
As I said in another thread, these moves to bring in ex-Patriots are about the locker room. McDaniels wants guys who know what he's trying to do and can be representative of the "culture change" that he is trying to instill. In a scenario like this, who cares? Pittman or Jordan... neither one is going to set the world on fire. Why not bring in a guy who already knows the system? It helps with the transition...

Hell, I didn't even think of that. I was thinking he was still a Raider or Jet or something. I guess that makes sense. We'll see what happens.

BigPlayShay
03-04-2009, 08:55 AM

Jordan knows the offense. He can help Hillis. I don't think Hillis is going anywhere.

Hotrod
03-04-2009, 08:56 AM

Actually he would have instantly become our return man.........which is something we still are missing.

outdoor_miner
03-04-2009, 08:57 AM
this is such a weird offseason, but i get the feeling a lot of these RBs wont make it out of TC. sad day for hillis, but as long as he gets a fair shake at RB in camp i have no doubt he will win.

Yeah - not sure it's a sad day for Hillis. I mean, if he can't beat out Lamont Jordan or Correll Buckhalter, then he's not nearly as good as I thought he was (Derrick Ward would have been a bit of a bummer for me, though). He just needs to make the team and get on the field. If that happens, it will be clear who the best back is on game day. I think it will be Hillis, but if it's not, I'd rather see the best man for the job out there.

bowtown
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Actually he would have instantly become our return man.........which is something we still are missing.

Isn't that why we signed Lonnie Paxton? ;)

HEAV
03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Two-year, $2.5 million...wow cheap! Nice deal for Denver.

crowebomber
03-04-2009, 09:02 AM

I'm always the optimist. I've been a Broncos fan since I was old enough to understand the game (70s) and always think we can win the superbowl every year, but so far there have been moves that just don't make sense and it's starting to chip away at that optimism for this season and my faith that McDaniel's knows what he is doing.

This move is one of them. Jordan isn't really an upgrade over Pittman, and Pittman seemed like a good locker room guy from everything I heard. So why spend all the $? It's just like the long snapper situation. Some of his moves just don't make sense to me.

tsiguy96
03-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah - not sure it's a sad day for Hillis. I mean, if he can't beat out Lamont Jordan or Correll Buckhalter, then he's not nearly as good as I thought he was (Derrick Ward would have been a bit of a bummer for me, though). He just needs to make the team and get on the field. If that happens, it will be clear who the best back is on game day. I think it will be Hillis, but if it's not, I'd rather see the best man for the job out there.

exactly. more then anything im calling for him to get a CHANCE to win it, and if he does im sure he will. if he isnt even given the option of competing, thats ****ed up considering how good he was in that role last year.

Dagmar
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Why trade a productive player who has a 7th rounder salary?

bowtown
03-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm always the optimist. I've been a Broncos fan since I was old enough to understand the game (70s) and always think we can win the superbowl every year, but so far there have been moves that just don't make sense and it's starting to chip away at that optimism for this season and my faith that McDaniel's knows what he is doing.

This move is one of them. Jordan isn't really an upgrade over Pittman, and Pittman seemed like a good locker room guy from everything I heard. So why spend all the $? It's just like the long snapper situation. Some of his moves just don't make sense to me.

Because Pittman was a FA with a neck injury.

Swedish Extrovert
03-04-2009, 09:09 AM
i'm underwhelmed

Not a great signing. I just hope Hillis gets his shot.

I'm evenly whelmed.

broncofan2438
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Sounds good then

dbfan4life
03-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Why trade a productive player who has a 7th rounder salary?

Because McD can, that's why!

I like this pickup. Quality depth.

Popps
03-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Maybe, and that would be a shame. But, Jordan was absolutely revered as a back-up in NY before going to Oakland, and then did well in NE. He's a role player and my guess is that like our other signings, he gets with the program.

I like it. I begged for us to sign him last year. It costs nothing and he's a viable guy to take 10 carries a game if we need him to.

I still think we'll end up grabbing a speedier back at some point, maybe middle-rounds of the draft.

SoDak Bronco
03-04-2009, 09:15 AM
where is the link to this signing?

Tombstone RJ
03-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I really wanted Ward, but oh well. I'm still hoping Corey Boyd can get some playing time...

Bigdawg26
03-04-2009, 09:19 AM
YYYEEEAAAHHH another guy 30+ banged up player!!!! Man our team is going to be the oldest team in the NFL. I guess McDaniels loves to be the youngest guy in the locker room.

Taco John
03-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I wonder how many runningbacks McDaniels plans to carry.

supermanhr9
03-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't think that just because Lamont is coming in that hillis is considered outta here? Maybe he'll go back to being just a straight up full back? He can be a dynamic threat there as well. And when 18 running backs go down again this year, he can come back and run the ball again. I liek this sign, Lamont is a wrecking ball

BigPlayShay
03-04-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't think that just because Lamont is coming in that hillis is considered outta here? Maybe he'll go back to being just a straight up full back? He can be a dynamic threat there as well. And when 18 running backs go down again this year, he can come back and run the ball again. I liek this sign, Lamont is a wrecking ball

With Scheffler potentially being traded perhaps they plan to use Hillis as more of a utility guy, much like Shanahan had said he could be. TE, FB, TB, Slot, etc...

sisterhellfyre
03-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Because McD can, that's why!

[singing off-key]

McDaniels makes McRosters
McDaniels calls McPlays
McDaniels makes most wonderful trades
for players of every size

However he does
whatever he does
he's different from all the rest

So let's trust Coach McDaniels
He's the coach we love McBest!

Regards,
m.

Kaylore
03-04-2009, 09:25 AM
where is the link to this signing?

Montrose is the link. It's a report from him.

BlaK-Argentina
03-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Can we please stop the Hillis trade talk? It's making me nervous.

Old Dude
03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Not official, but here's some additional corroboration:

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-broncos-jordan-030309,0,2737466.story

MVP-06
03-04-2009, 09:29 AM

I get the feeling Hillis will be playing FB where he belongs

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2009, 09:29 AM
The deal is DONE!

BABronco
03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
No, I get the sense that any one of these guys could end up on IR, just like last year's crop, since they are all paper frail, so they are trying to stock up. Jordan and Buckhalter have both been on Turner's wish list forever. This is just us taking the oppertunity to grab them and see if they can contribute.

I wouldn't call Hillis frail. The man got injured going for a freak catch and just screwed up his leg. Hell come to think of it that catch was fitz style. Not too bad for a white boy lol.

BroncoFanatic
03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
You ****ing idiot McDummystoopidHead. Don't you know the best teams take cast off DL and win the Superbowl. Stupid dummy.

LOL

That is broncomania-worthy

crowebomber
03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't call Hillis frail. The man got injured going for a freak catch and just screwed up his leg. Hell come to think of it that catch was fitz style. Not too bad for a white boy lol.

And Jordan sat out a season with for MCL surgery and had that back injury before he left the Raiders (that caused him to lose his job to Fargus).

DenverBrit
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Maybe, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Hillis/Buckhalter/Jordan RBBC. Because Hillis can double as a FB, and McDaniels rarely uses the spot - in addition to Peyton only having a 7th round pick's salary - he might have a chance to stick. Hillis has great pass catching skills and some great potential as a blocker too. Hopefully he sticks around because he seems to be the type of versatile, tough team-first guy that is to define the new Denver Broncos.

That alone should keep him in Denver. Problem is, all the starting backs are coming back off IR.
Teams usually become concerned when just one starter is coming off IR.
Hillis and Torrain, if healthy, should be the best combo.

BABronco
03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I get the feeling Hillis will be playing FB where he belongs

Why does he belong there?

Taco John
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Can we please stop the Hillis trade talk? It's making me nervous.

I know of no rumor that Hillis is getting traded. But I don't think that he fits McDaniels idea of a half back - and given the fact that we've seen both Cutler and Scheffler advanced as trade ideas (presumably because they aren't great fits for McDaniels offense), I'm forced to wonder how a 6-2, 250lb fullback converted halfback fits in.

Also, The Patriots carried one Fullback last year - Heath Evans - who carried the ball 11 times for 23 yards, and 3 receptions. It would be a waste to use Hillis like that.

We might be able to get as much as a third rounder for Hillis out of Kubiak (just a stab in the dark on my part for trading partner), or some team that uses the fullback more prominently, and draft a Heath Evans in a late round. I don't particularly like the idea of getting rid of Hillis, but I get the sense that he's on the trading block. Maybe he's not, but if I were him, I'd feel an awful lot like a sore thumb sticking out right now.

Traveler
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Are all these 2 years deals done with the possibility of an uncapped year or that the FO thinks they'll have all the younger player in place once these contracts end?

Man-Goblin
03-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Why does he belong there?

Because he's white. :thanku:

DenverBrit
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Are all these 2 years deals done with the possibility of an uncapped year or that the FO thinks they'll have all the younger player in place once these contracts end?

Hopefully, that's the thinking. It will take a couple of years for this team to turn around.....on D in particular.

Some of these signings are going to be leaders and tutors as much as they are players.

BABronco
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Because he's white. :thanku:

I think thats what everyone is thinking. Seriously though. These are not bad numbers at all!

Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds

17 74 4.4 13 1 2 22

22 129 5.9 19 1 0 0

8 58 7.3 18T 1 1 11

DHallblows
03-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I wonder how many runningbacks McDaniels plans to carry.

Apparently 10

bowtown
03-04-2009, 10:09 AM

No, I wouldn't call Hillis frail either... I was referring to the other 17 RBs on our roster.

Peoples Champ
03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
I like this deal.

Rohirrim
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
I think Hillis will be a fine H-Back/FB in McD's spread offense. He's got versatile skills. I think we'll see a lot of him.

broncocalijohn
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.fuelindustries.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/superbowl-trophy.jpg

6 years and 5 posts so it took a lurker to finally bring the trophy! Almost 2nd page.....step it up guys. Good job from Brazil.

baja
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM

When you think about it that Hillis injury is the turning point that forever changed the course of this franchise.

theAPAOps5
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Man Brazil saved our ass. Can't believe it took so long.

theAPAOps5
03-04-2009, 10:35 AM
When you think about it that Hillis injury is the turning point that forever changed the course of this franchise.

The tear heard round the NFL, if you will.

Hotrod
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Hillis is far from fragile my knock on him is the way he runs. Boy takes a beating as much as he serves one up. Nobody can run that hard and take the beating he does x16 aint gonna happen.

BABronco
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM

It really was. As soon as it happened I turned to my dad and said if he doesn't come back this team is done.

Broncos123
03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
If they all make it to the final cuts, they might be worth a sixth or seventh round draft pick in a trade for a team looking for some backup experience entering the season. I like the signing of all these older backs. Not all will be on the opening day roster.

cmhargrove
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Am I the only one around here that likes Lamont Jordan?

I remember a couple years ago when he was with the Raiders, and is seemed like he was the only one fighting on offense. It was like our defense against Jordan. The dude has heart, hopefully he still has his skills.

I think Jordan is a much shiftier back than Pittman. Pittman just runs forwards and draws contact. Jordan isn't afraid of it, but he avoids it for extra yards - something Pittman didn't do too well.

This is good.

montrose
03-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Am I the only one around here that likes Lamont Jordan?

I remember a couple years ago when he was with the Raiders, and is seemed like he was the only one fighting on offense. It was like our defense against Jordan. The dude has heart, hopefully he still has his skills.

I think Jordan is a much shiftier back than Pittman. Pittman just runs forwards and draws contact. Jordan isn't afraid of it, but he avoids it for extra yards - something Pittman didn't do too well.

This is good.

I like it. It's not a lot of money and he's a McDaniels guy.

Hotrod
03-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I like it. It's not a lot of money and he's a McDaniels guy.

The price certainly makes me like the signing more.

Elway777
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I would of rather had Arrington. Jordon could be solid back if healthy. I still see no front line starters. Maybe Selyn Young and Torain can stay healthyand take the # 1 job. I still would not hesitate to grap a running back like Donald Brown in the second. I would put our deep chart at Hb Torain , Buckhalter, Young, Jordan Fb Hillis. All does players have a history of injury .

TonyR
03-04-2009, 11:59 AM
According to Burger Bill we're still talking to Arrington:

They had a deal in place for Arizona free agent J.J. Arrington, but it fell through. The two sides have been talking this week about a new deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3951793

Blueflame
03-04-2009, 12:05 PM
LaMont Jordan sucks. Any RB we had on IR last year is better than him.

yerner
03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Collecting Scrubs. Guess we'll see who sticks.

Hotrod
03-04-2009, 12:17 PM
We are still in talks with JJ for what it is worth

FireFly
03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm fine with this signing. Happy with it even. But I want to see Hillis get a chance to start!

JJJ
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
I hear McDaniels is looking to trade Lamont Jordan for Kevin Faulk.

Any one else hear this?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Wholly untrue

Pontius Pirate
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Remind me to stear clear of Denver RB's in Fantasy season next year...again

DB Doom
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
who will be the one to start? i hope Torain

watermock
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
the process of dismantaling the #2 offense in the NFL is continuing.

barryr
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
If Jordan is healthy, a nice pickup.

This wouldn't effect Hillis at all.

But guys like Pittman and Young could be gone though with this move.

outdoor_miner
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
the process of dismantaling the #2 offense in the NFL is continuing.

Yeah because our running game was so awesome. The only 2 running backs who did squat all year were Pittman and Hillis, both of whom are coming off major injuries. You'd be happy going into next year counting on Selvin Young or Andre Hall?

bowtown
03-04-2009, 02:01 PM
If Jordan is healthy, a nice pickup.

This wouldn't effect Hillis at all.

But guys like Pittman and Young could be gone though with this move.

Pittman already is gone. He is a free agent.

cmhargrove
03-04-2009, 02:01 PM

You might be eating those words after training camp.

Blueflame
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM

I sincerely doubt it.

elsid13
03-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah more grey hairs. Old FA RB suck!

Br0nc0Buster
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM

That is horse poo
Tatum Bell, Selvin Young, and Andre Hall dont belong on NFL rosters

Jordan can actually get tough yards, and can catch well to

BroncoInferno
03-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Regarding Hillis, I have a feeling McDaniels is going to use him the way he was used at Arkansas which was as sort of a FB/HB hybrid. McDaniels loves receivers out of the backfield for his offense and that where I think Hillis will fit in.

UberBroncoMan
03-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Goal line guy in the style of a Patriots RB. And he must have come at the right price too.

I thought we might re-sign Pittman. Not anymore......

This signing doesn't move me one way or the other. We'll see how he does.

Stupid ****ing signing in my opinion. We have Hillis for this.

chaz
03-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I have not seen a RB run OVER defenders the way Hillis does in a long time... no one is going to tell me Lamont is the better short yardage back.

DBroncos4life
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM

lol has the guy ever really been that good? RBs typically don't get better as they age.

Los Broncos
03-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Nothing special here just insurance at the position, wish we had someone like Jacobs at RB, we would be straight up unstoppable

DenVa BroncHoos
03-09-2009, 08:57 AM
new Broncos RB LaMont Jordan is a huge Maryland womens bball fan, attends a ton of their games a gave them a pep talk yesterday before they beat Duke.

BC-BKW--T25-ACC-Duke-Maryland, 3rd Ld-Writethru,0890
Coleman, Maryland beat Duke 92-89 for ACC title
Eds: No. 4 Maryland 92, No. 8 Duke 89, OT. SUBS 4th graf to CORRECT
spelling to Marissa, sted Marisa.
AP Photo NCCB104, NCCB103
By MIKE CRANSTON
AP Sports Writer
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) - Using the tip in a pep talk by former
Terrapins football star LaMont Jordan, Maryland's players converged
at midcourt before the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game
Sunday and started to scuff the league logo.
"He said every time he went into New York he always went to the
50-yard line and marked his territory," senior guard Kristi
Toliver said. "So that's what we were kind of doing in North
Carolina.
After knocking off four-time defending champion North Carolina
and rival Duke on consecutive days, Tobacco Road - and the ACC -
belong to the fourth-ranked Terrapins.
Marissa Coleman had 28 points and 15 rebounds, Toliver added 24
points and Maryland captured its first ACC title in 20 years with a
92-89 overtime victory over No. 8 Duke on Sunday.
A day after ending the Tar Heels' run of dominance, the
Terrapins (28-4) likely locked up a No. 1 seed for the NCAA
tournament by holding off the Blue Devils (26-5) in the biggest
game between the teams since the 2006 NCAA final.
In that game, Toliver drilled a tying 3-pointer to force
overtime in Maryland's victory, and this time the top-seeded
Terrapins recovered after the Blue Devils capped regulation with a
7-0 run, forcing OT on Chante Black's tip-in with 1 second left.
"To beat two teams of that caliber in the state of North
Carolina is huge for us," Toliver said. "We'll take that
confidence into the NCAA without a doubt."

Drek
03-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I have not seen a RB run OVER defenders the way Hillis does in a long time... no one is going to tell me Lamont is the better short yardage back.

Is anyone trying?

Jordan signed cheap. He's depth, if he sucks in camp and gets shown up by Hillis, Buckhalter, Arrington, or Torian he's gone for peanuts. But if a bunch of those guys look like **** or get hurt? We at least have a replacement who isn't street FA levels of suck.

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 10:09 AM
That is horse poo
Tatum Bell, Selvin Young, and Andre Hall dont belong on NFL rosters

Jordan can actually get tough yards, and can catch well to

Fewer than 4000 of them in 8 seasons...and he has missed roughly half of the games due to injury in two of the last 3 years. Color me unimpressed.

Peoples Champ
03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Fewer than 4000 of them in 8 seasons...and he has missed roughly half of the games due to injury in two of the last 3 years. Color me unimpressed.

Ya, I am willing to take the risk on injury for the cheap price. This guy is way cheaper then the injuryprone Travis Henry, and we all know how Henry turned out. Injured and in trouble with the law.

So in comparison, I will compare Jordan to Henry and be thankfull Jordan is cheap.

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Ya, I am willing to take the risk on injury for the cheap price. This guy is way cheaper then the injuryprone Travis Henry, and we all know how Henry turned out. Injured and in trouble with the law.

So in comparison, I will compare Jordan to Henry and be thankfull Jordan is cheap.

Henry was a waste of $$ and cap space. I believe Jordan will be, too. Not worth $2.5 million, IMO.

Peoples Champ
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Henry was a waste of $$ and cap space. I believe Jordan will be, too. Not worth $2.5 million, IMO.

Ya, there are tonz of overpaid players. We cant control it. We can only hope that Jordan has something left in the tank, and that if he is motivated by money, he will play hard so that he still has a job at his old age to support his family.

Bary Zito in baseball got over 120 million, and he was benched last year.

Drek
03-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Whatever will we do without that 1% of our total cap space lost to Lamont Jordan!?

Popps
03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Ya, there are tonz of overpaid players. We cant control it. We can only hope that Jordan has something left in the tank, and that if he is motivated by money, he will play hard so that he still has a job at his old age to support his family.

Bary Zito in baseball got over 120 million, and he was benched last year.

Dude, you're wasting your time. She's chosen Lamont Jordan as some kind of symbolic object of her disdain for the new Broncos and anything related to the team. Despite the obvious motive for signing him (back-up, role player)... she's insisted on making statements like, "he's not a difference-maker." (As if anyone is implying that he was the missing link to a Superbowl)

You're correct in your analysis that Jordan comes very cheap and has been used effectively as a back-up in the past. He knows McDaniels system and is thought to be a good character guy.

Jordan has averaged over 4 yards a carry during his career and has over 1300 yards receiving. He can wear teams down and projects to be a guy who can take some heat of Hillis/Buckhalter as far as carries.

Great utility guy who knows the system at a nice price. No-brainer.

Popps
03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Whatever will we do without that 1% of our total cap space lost to Lamont Jordan!?

:rofl:

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Dude, you're wasting your time. She's chosen Lamont Jordan as some kind of symbolic object of her disdain for the new Broncos and anything related to the team. Despite the obvious motive for signing him (back-up, role player)... she's insisted on making statements like, "he's not a difference-maker." (As if anyone is implying that he was the missing link to a Superbowl)

You're correct in your analysis that Jordan comes very cheap and has been used effectively as a back-up in the past. He knows McDaniels system and is thought to be a good character guy.

Jordan has averaged over 4 yards a carry during his career and has over 1300 yards receiving. He can wear teams down and projects to be a guy who can take some heat of Hillis/Buckhalter as far as carries.

Great utility guy who knows the system at a nice price. No-brainer.

Nice try, Popps. I've dissed Jordan for years... since his Raider days. But then... so did Raider fan even back then.

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Yeah, might as well just waste it on a fat, lazy, injury-prone slug...

bronco militia
03-09-2009, 11:10 AM
if LJ doesn't make it to the final roster they will have wasted $500,000...not $2.5 million

azbroncfan
03-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Not even a close comparison? 2.5 mil contract vs the 20 or so that Henry had signed. That is enough for the argument there let alone bringing up character issues, pot, 9 kids with 9 women. Your digging here.

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Not even a close comparison? 2.5 mil contract vs the 20 or so that Henry had signed. That is enough for the argument there let alone bringing up character issues, pot, 9 kids with 9 women. Your digging here.

What comparisons? I'm agreeing that Henry was a waste of $$ and cap space. There's no "digging" here... it's possible to think neither Henry nor Jordan should have been acquired and I'm of that mindset.

Drek
03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, might as well just waste it on a fat, lazy, injury-prone slug...

Who happens to know the offense.

Say what you will about Jordan's health and production history, but he knows the offense better than everyone else already. That means he's got the upper hand out of the starting gate over Hillis, Arrington, Buchalter, and Torian.

Doesn't mean he'll keep it, but a smart worker in any field knows when he's competing for a job and his competition is more familiar with the position he's got to work extra hard. If nothing else he's motivation for the other four backers to say "I'm better than that guy, as soon as I know the offense well enough I'm taking his job!" and it makes them bust ass off the field with study and preparation.

Its all about forcing competition. Moves like this sort the physically gifted but mentally weak chaff from the mentally strong, ready to win wheat. I'm personally of the belief that Hillis will rise to this challenge and crush all comers in camp to be our defacto #1 back for the entire '09 season because he's a winner.

Popps
03-09-2009, 12:24 PM
What comparisons? I'm agreeing that Henry was a waste of $$ and cap space. There's no "digging" here... it's possible to think neither Henry nor Jordan should have been acquired and I'm of that mindset.

People are correcting you because it's a silly comparison. One has zero to do with the other.

One was a high-risk, high-price decision and one is a bargain signing with a history of being a quality team-guy and good back-up.

So, why you're barking up his tree is anyone's guess. My guess is that you just need any reason to piss on McDaniel's team.

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 12:35 PM
People are correcting you because it's a silly comparison. One has zero to do with the other.

One was a high-risk, high-price decision and one is a bargain signing with a history of being a quality team-guy and good back-up.

So, why you're barking up his tree is anyone's guess. My guess is that you just need any reason to piss on McDaniel's team.

I was not comparing the two. And again, I disliked Jordan long ago and can easily find the quotes to prove it. I didn't suddenly decide to rip on him solely because McD became our coach and acquired him... ::)

azbroncfan
03-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Your saying Jordan is a waste of cap space which is untrue because they can cut him and walk away losing 500K which is nothing. Jordan is a good backup that has experience with MCD and has decent hands and is a pretty good runner. 1.25 mil is a bargain for a RB these days and isn't a waste of cap space.

Peoples Champ
03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I was not comparing the two. And again, I disliked Jordan long ago and can easily find the quotes to prove it. I didn't suddenly decide to rip on him solely because McD became our coach and acquired him... ::)

Plus, one way to combat injuries is depth. Of course depth comes at a price, but look what happened last year after all our RBs went down. We lost our run game. Now its pretty unusual for a team to lose 7 RB's. You can call that unlucky, but I still think you can never have enough depth at RB.

In most sports the champs have depth. When the San Antonio spurs keep winning when Duncan or Parker are out, because of depth. Usually the best teams in every sport have depth.

I am glad we will have depth at an Injury prone position.

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Plus, one way to combat injuries is depth. Of course depth comes at a price, but look what happened last year after all our RBs went down. You can call that unlucky, but I still think you can never have enough depth at RB.

In most sports the champs have depth. When the San Antonio spurs keep winning when Duncan or Parker are out, because of depth. Usually the best teams in every sport have depth.

I am glad we will have injury-prone depth at an Injury prone position.

Fixed.

Peoples Champ
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Fixed.

All RB's are injury prone, thats the position. It takes the most beating on the field. Even the best ones.

Terrell Davis- Injury prone
LaDanian Tomilson- Injury prone
Adrian Peterson- missed two full college seasons due to injuries. Still drafted high even though he was injury prone, now he is awesome.
Clinton Portis- Injury prone
Willis McGehee- Injury prone.

My point is all running backs are injury prone, from the best ones to the worst ones. Doesnt mean you cant take a chance at one.

Popps
03-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Jordan=http://www.twistedtree.org.uk/Goat_of_Mendes.jpg

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Jordan=http://www.twistedtree.org.uk/Goat_of_Mendes.jpg

Actually what Maximus dubbed him years ago when he was with the Raiders was "the dancing elephant"...

Bronx33
03-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Someone please tell me the general concensus on the broncos getting jordan so i don't have to read this whole thread.

Popps
03-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Yea, Maximus is a pretty good source of info... as are most Raider fans.

Popps
03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Someone please tell me the general concensus on the broncos getting jordan so i don't have to read this whole thread.

LOL

Thumbnail: Most people take it for what it is... a cheap, depth signing with some upside.

Blueflame has been inconsolable ever since, and fears the demise of the franchise.

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
All RB's are injury prone, thats the position. It takes the most beating on the field. Even the best ones.

Terrell Davis- Injury prone
LaDanian Tomilson- Injury prone
Adrian Peterson- missed two full college seasons due to injuries. Still drafted high even though he was injury prone, now he is awesome.
Clinton Portis- Injury prone
Willis McGehee- Injury prone.

My point is all running backs are injury prone, from the best ones to the worst ones. Doesnt mean you cant take a chance at one.

One would think he'd be able to stay healthy seeing as how he's only started 29 games in 8 seasons... 14 of those in a single season.

Bronx33
03-09-2009, 06:49 PM

LOL

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 06:50 PM

I used to find it amusing... somehow it isn't funny anymore... now that we have the dancing elephant.

At any rate, Maximus and other Raider fans watched that slug play every Sunday for 3 seasons....so I daresay they just might have some clue what they're talking about.

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
LOL

Thumbnail: Most people take it for what it is... a cheap, depth signing with some upside.

Blueflame has been inconsolable ever since, and fears the demise of the franchise.

Never said that.... I said he's a waste of $$ and a roster slot.

Br0nc0Buster
03-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Is anyone projecting him to tote the rock 25 times a game?
I dont think so

He was brought in as depth because he is versatile and knows the system.

As far as his injuries, he attributes that to not being able to participate in the offseason training programs in Oakland, and being signed so late by New England.
He said he was going to be in great shape this year as he is dedicating this season to his former high school coach who is apparently dead.

Now whether this prevents him from getting hurt or not we will see, but he is going to put in the effot it seems

Br0nc0Buster
03-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I used to find it amusing... somehow it isn't funny anymore... now that we have the dancing elephant.

At any rate, Maximus and other Raider fans watched that slug play every Sunday for 3 seasons....so I daresay they just might have some clue what they're talking about.

Randy Moss was a non factor in Oakland

That place is where athletes go to die

I really dont put that much stock into whether or not a player can perform in that cesspool of a franchise

Bronx33
03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Never said that.... I said he's a waste of $$ and a roster slot.

Let see what Mckid has in plan for him first and if that fails then we can make fun of it.;)

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Is anyone projecting him to tote the rock 25 times a game?
I dont think so

He was brought in as depth because he is versatile and knows the system.

As far as his injuries, he attributes that to not being able to participate in the offseason training programs in Oakland, and being signed so late by New England.
He said he was going to be in great shape this year as he is dedicating this season to his former high school coach who is apparently dead.

Now whether this prevents him from getting hurt or not we will see, but he is going to put in the effot it seems

Well, I guess we can mark you down to be the first to buy his jersey then.

Bronx33
03-09-2009, 06:59 PM

Lets be fair flame he had a crappy OL to block for him.

Br0nc0Buster
03-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Well, I guess we can mark you down to be the first to buy his jersey then.

It would be a better investement than a Tatum Bell, Selvin Young, Mike Bell, Andre Hall, etc.. jersey

azbroncfan
03-09-2009, 07:15 PM
If you need a RB to pile on it should be Arrington. He is a poor man's tatum bell and trips over blades of grass all the time.

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 07:19 PM
It would be a better investement than a Tatum Bell, Selvin Young, Mike Bell, Andre Hall, etc.. jersey

Interesting..... 2008:

LaMont Jordan 8 games 80 rushes 363 yards
Tatum Bell 6 games 61 rushes 249 yards
Selvin Young 8 games 44 rushes 303 yards

Doesn't look like a significantly better investment to me.

Inkana7
03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
LaMont Jordan : 8 games, 4 TDs

Tatum Bell AND Selvin Young: 3 TDs in 14 combined games.

TDs mean points, no?

Br0nc0Buster
03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Interesting..... 2008:

LaMont Jordan 8 games 80 rushes 363 yards
Tatum Bell 6 games 61 rushes 249 yards
Selvin Young 8 games 44 rushes 303 yards

Doesn't look like a significantly better investment to me.

Both Bell's and Young's stats are inflated due to long runs they break off every blue moon.
If you like gains of 2,3,1,2,4,3,5,3,2,58,2,4,6....then they are your guys.

Jordan = power back who can catch well and knows the system
Young and Bell = scat backs

Apparently not being able to break arm tackles doesnt matter as much to McDaniels as it does you

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Both Bell's and Young's stats are inflated due to long runs they break off every blue moon.
If you like gains of 2,3,1,2,4,3,5,3,2,58,2,4,6....then they are your guys.

Jordan = power back who can catch well and knows the system
Young and Bell = scat backs

Apparently not being able to break arm tackles doesnt matter as much to McDaniels as it does you

Jordan's a "power back", eh? Too funny. ROFL!

Popps
03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Lets be fair flame he had a crappy OL to block for him.

How about just... he was a Raider.

He's averaging over 4 yards a carry. He played in 14 games that year as a starter, scored 10 TDs with over 1000 yards rushing a couple hundy receiving.

Again, there may not be a reason to be in love with the guy, but hating him is even more ridiculous.

Br0nc0Buster
03-09-2009, 08:07 PM

He is 230 lb.

He can be effective in short yardage situations.
I would imagine that will be one of his roles as Buck and Arrington wont do it

Blueflame
03-09-2009, 08:17 PM
How about just... he was a Raider.

He's averaging over 4 yards a carry. He played in 14 games that year as a starter, scored 10 TDs with over 1000 yards rushing a couple hundy receiving.

Again, there may not be a reason to be in love with the guy, but hating him is even more ridiculous.

A scrub doesn't stop being a scrub just because he signed with the Broncos. Too bad it isn't so... but it's not.

BroncoFiend
03-09-2009, 08:24 PM

He's certainly not a feature back although when he was with the Jets I thought he was a sure bet to be a star. But a power back is a pretty good description for him. Not sure why we need that with Hillis on the roster though.

Oh well, I suppose that's what training camp is for.

ohiobronco2
03-09-2009, 08:25 PM
With our situation last year, you would figure that our fans would be happy about the pickups at the RB position and see the need for depth.

azbroncfan
03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
A cheap veteran RB who can run, catch, and block coming on a short cheap deal that you can get out from underneath. Anyone thinking this is a bad deal is up in the night. I highly doubt he will be the starter and tote the rock 20 plus times a game. In his last year in Oakland before getting hurt he was leading the league in rushing and that is a feat to do that in jokeland.